PDA

View Full Version : Who makes your uniforms?

GoAgs!
July 18th, 2007, 09:44 PM
UC Davis recently completed a search for a new uniform sponsor. We looked at them all. I was wondering what company sponsors your uniforms (if any) and if your experience with that company has been satisfactory? Is there a certain company that just makes awful/awesome uniforms?

In the past UC Davis almost had some deals signed with Nike/Reebok, but being in the fairly liberal UC system, we couldn't sign a deal due to recent UC rules regarding sweatshop issues.

Franks Tanks
July 18th, 2007, 09:48 PM
UC Davis recently completed a search for a new uniform sponsor. We looked at them all. I was wondering what company sponsors your uniforms (if any) and if your experience with that company has been satisfactory? Is there a certain company that just makes awful/awesome uniforms?

In the past UC Davis almost had some deals signed with Nike/Reebok, but being in the fairly liberal UC system, we couldn't sign a deal due to recent UC rules regarding sweatshop issues.

Wow thats a high horse they are riding no deals cause of sweatshop workers, I guess the supporters walk around naked as is pretty hard to find clothes not made in that enviroment. Anyway Lafayete had Nike unis's

bobbythekidd
July 18th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Jeeeeeezzzz! When is the season going to start?

HiHiYikas
July 18th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Russell

slycat
July 18th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Nike

NDSUFREAK
July 18th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Nike

BearsCountry
July 18th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Nike

Casey_Orourke
July 18th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Nike
http://files.tagworld.com/2a6bb5311dc14dfc8189f05d5e81069c.jpeg

89rabbit
July 18th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Nike

Lionsrking
July 18th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Adidas

eagle1
July 19th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Addidas - New Home Uniforms this year!

Tribe4SF
July 19th, 2007, 06:39 AM
W&M - Nike

Tribe is deep with the Swoosh. They sponsor our camp.

813Jag
July 19th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Russell, I think they provide uniforms for the SWAC as a whole.

crunifan
July 19th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Nike

ButlerGSU
July 19th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Georgia Southerns are made by Nike.

McNeese72
July 19th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Russell Athletics

We are getting new jerseys this year. Ones that breath a little better in the heat and humidity.

New jersey story (http://mcneesesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/070807aab.html)

foghorn
July 19th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Who makes our uniforms? Betsy Ross! We've had the same uniforms since Washington coached us.:D

NoCoDanny
July 19th, 2007, 08:49 AM
New Balance

R.A.
July 19th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Wilson

MplsBison
July 19th, 2007, 09:19 AM
but being in the fairly liberal UC system, we couldn't sign a deal due to recent UC rules regarding sweatshop issues.

UCLA is Adidas and Berkeley is Nike.

So...what are you talking about?

UNHWILDCATS05
July 19th, 2007, 09:19 AM
New for this year - Nike

jessesd
July 19th, 2007, 10:33 AM
I'm bored...
Hofstra Pride they wore Nike last season for football, but I heard that they'll have new Uni's again this year???
SDSU Jacks Nike, see recent thread!
U SoDAk NIke...I think???
And the Gators.....We'll They get paid to wear Nike!!!

OL FU
July 19th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I'm guessing some little old lady in Chinaxnodx

already123
July 19th, 2007, 10:57 AM
From what I hear if you are not the Texas', Oregons, USC...etc Nike is hard to work with, for the most part.

My friend from NAU athletics has told me that they might not re-sign with Nike next year. Thats just what I've heard.

Sir William
July 19th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Joanne's Polyester Emporium and Grille

xcoffeex

The Moody1
July 19th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Russell

I believe Nike is replacing Russell for the upcoming season.

McTailGator
July 19th, 2007, 01:41 PM

Russell Athletics makes McNeese's

GoldandBlack
July 19th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Joanne's Polyester Emporium and Grille

xcoffeex

Ah! Explains purple color- same as pearl diver coming back to surface!:D

GoldandBlack
July 19th, 2007, 02:03 PM

Ah! Explains purple color- same as pearl diver coming back to surface!:D

Go...gate
July 19th, 2007, 02:24 PM
We had Champion for many, many years, switched to Wilson but are now Nike.

bluehenbillk
July 19th, 2007, 02:43 PM

Right on - they're all made in Asia.

griz37
July 19th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Nike makes the Griz uniforms.

HiHiYikas
July 19th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Worst news I've heard all week...Quality gear from a clothing company or subpar gear from a shoe company...

xbawlingx

I hope they're at least tasteful...Nike is really hit-or-miss

GeeWiz
July 19th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Boy the season can't start soon enough with topics like this one ... xeyebrowx

I'll play along. As of last year, NU's unis are made by Russell Athletic.

You can see the "R" logo on Mo Murray's jersey.

Sir William
July 19th, 2007, 04:16 PM
I can hardly believe that we have sunk so low as to be talking about the name on the tag in the pants that our teams wear. What's next?..."What is the color of your starting quarterback's eyes?"

Please, football season, get here quickly before we all lose our minds! xnodx

MplsBison
July 19th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Quality gear from a clothing company or subpar gear from a shoe company

Even if that were true, which it obviously isn't, the only thing that matters is what recruits think.

When they see the swoosh on your uniforms, they know you're the real deal.

"R"? What's that?

Montanan
July 19th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Nike makes the Griz uniforms.

To be more exact, Nike's Rumpelstiltskin line. xlolx

McNeese75
July 19th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Even if that were true, which it obviously isn't, the only thing that matters is what recruits think.

"R"? What's that?

xrolleyesx

Yeah, the check mark scares me xcoffeex

HiHiYikas
July 19th, 2007, 06:53 PM

"R"? What's that?
I have found it to be very true - a $20 Spalding medicine ball is better than a $35 Nike medicine ball, a $10 Champion training top is better than a $45 Nike top, etc., etc., etc.

The R is a symbol of a brand that's been making quality sporting goods since the mid-1800's, and still makes excellent, long-lasting stuff under brands like Russell, Brooks and Spalding.

I know Brooks isn't making football jerseys, but you can put 500 hard miles on a $80 pair of Brooks, whereas your gimmicky $120 Nikes won't last 250 before the air packs are worthless or the shoes start to fall apart. But at least you got to spend the extra $40 on the swoosh.

Of course, recruits don't pay attention to that kind of stuff, so the swoosh speaks volumes. It's one of those matters I'll never understand.

If it's good for the program, good. If it means that my $12 ASU football shirt now costs $23, or that we'll be sporting an all-black jersey with one yellow arm or something ridiculous like that, I'm going to keep griping.

Mountaineer
July 19th, 2007, 06:57 PM
or that we'll be sporting an all-black jersey with one yellow arm or something ridiculous like that, I'm going to keep griping.

You just made me throw up in my mouth a little bit HiHi. :( xbawlingx

I can see it now - black unis, gold diamond plate pattern on the knees and shoulders. xbawlingx

MR. CHICKEN
July 19th, 2007, 07:24 PM
xrotatehxxnodxxrotatehx xrotatehxxnodxxrotatehx xrotatehxxnodxxrotatehx xrotatehxxnodxxrotatehx xrotatehxxnodxxrotatehx

SWOOOOOSH!

GeeWiz
July 19th, 2007, 08:59 PM

"R"? What's that?

http://www.russellcorp.com/html2003/images/brands/russell_athletic_logo.gif

Mountaineer#96
July 19th, 2007, 09:00 PM

Where did you hear this?

You know Coach Moore has been waiting on this for years, Adidas offered to sponsor us a few years ago and Coach said no. He likes Nike shoes for some reason, so he bought us Russel uniforms and Nike shoes. Maybe Nike came around with a better design or deal that he liked. I know Wofford is done by Adidas, and they look good.

Johnny5
July 19th, 2007, 10:38 PM
ours are Russell Athletic

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t259/John10781/ChenaultTOP.jpg

ISUMatt
July 19th, 2007, 10:42 PM
We went to Nike last yr and our Unis got uglier

GeeWiz
July 19th, 2007, 11:04 PM
We went to Nike last yr and our Unis got uglier

Yep Nike knows how to ruin a good uni.

I used to root for Oregon in the 90's but when they went to the "Rollerball" unis I dropped them like a bad habit!

I know uniforms don't make a player ... but c'mon!

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics21/200/KN/KNGBLXPOVRKJNIF.20061124233250.jpg
Uggghh!

Oh well, at least they're reinsating the baseball program!

TheBisonator
July 19th, 2007, 11:49 PM
NDSU's are Nike

Eyes of Old Main
July 20th, 2007, 07:02 AM

Isn't that the truth?

Eyes of Old Main
July 20th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Wofford's are made by Adidas.

Eyes of Old Main
July 20th, 2007, 07:03 AM
I used to root for Oregon in the 90's but when they went to the "Rollerball" unis I dropped them like a bad habit!

I never thought about it but they do look like Rollerball uniforms. Good call.

89rabbit
July 20th, 2007, 07:38 AM
What cracks me up is the people who think that Nike makes ugly uniforms (and I do think that there are some ugly Nike uniforms out there). Nike doesn't go to schools and force them to wear anything the schools have to want that kind of look. Nike does make very modern looking uniforms but they also make very traditional ones. It is all about what the schools want. Here is an example of what I am talking about.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070717/SPORTS0202/707170321/1002/SPORTS

SDSU gets new uniforms with swoosh

By Terry Vandrovec
[email protected]
Published: July 17, 2007

. . . The idea for the new duds began at a design meeting with head coach John Stiegelmeier and defensive line coach Rob Sarvis, who both favored a look that was traditional and classy. Players from each class then got involved, and they concurred with their coaches, shying away from the flashier Nike models. . . .

http://www.gojacks.com//pics25/400/NY/NYQUKAOVGTLBOJC.20070716170428.jpg

If your school doesn't want to look like the Oregon Ducks they don't have to. Nike will not force your school to go flashy.

MplsBison
July 20th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Especially not when your school is paying money to Nike to have the unis made.

Now, in the case of big schools like Oregon, Texas, etc. Nike actually pays the school to wear their stuff.

MplsBison
July 20th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Ever since Adidas bought Reebok, they've been pushing even harder into the US market.

All NBA unis are Adidas and now the U of Michigan and Texas A&M are switching to Adidas:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070710/UPDATE/707100436/1004

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D8QE0KS81.html

I'm all for competition. Absolutely.

I just wish it was an American owned company, like Under Armor.

andy7171
July 20th, 2007, 08:33 AM
It's kind of blurry, but it looks like a R for Russell Athletic.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/66/153655404_0fc432a215_o.jpg

Go...gate
July 20th, 2007, 09:39 AM
What cracks me up is the people who think that Nike makes ugly uniforms (and I do think that there are some ugly Nike uniforms out there). Nike doesn't go to schools and force them to wear anything the schools have to want that kind of look. Nike does make very modern looking uniforms but they also make very traditional ones. It is all about what the schools want. Here is an example of what I am talking about.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070717/SPORTS0202/707170321/1002/SPORTS

SDSU gets new uniforms with swoosh

By Terry Vandrovec
[email protected]
Published: July 17, 2007

. . . The idea for the new duds began at a design meeting with head coach John Stiegelmeier and defensive line coach Rob Sarvis, who both favored a look that was traditional and classy. Players from each class then got involved, and they concurred with their coaches, shying away from the flashier Nike models. . . .

http://www.gojacks.com//pics25/400/NY/NYQUKAOVGTLBOJC.20070716170428.jpg

If your school doesn't want to look like the Oregon Ducks they don't have to. Nike will not force your school to go flashy.

They look like Delaware's, but the shade of blue is a bit brighter.

jessesd
July 20th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Under Armour is also making an entry into the unis market, they recently signed deals with Auburn and Maryland and I think they also do Texas Tech for their football gear, they are not bad either.... more competition at least!!!

andy7171
July 20th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Under Armour is also making an entry into the unis market, they recently signed deals with Auburn and Maryland and I think they also do Texas Tech for their football gear, they are not bad either.... more competition at least!!!
Maryland has been wearing UnderArmor for a couple years now. The owner of the company played there.

MplsBison
July 20th, 2007, 10:25 AM
UA is a Maryland company and UM has been with them for a few years now.

I still remember when the commercials for the mini fall camp came out with Ralph Friedgen screaming "Runit uhgaaain!". Cracks me up every time.

Auburn and Texas Tech both have UA.

South Carolina just switched to UA this season.

Their main target (other than Maryland which was Nike I believe) seems to be large state schools that wear Russell.

The Moody1
July 20th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Where did you hear this?

You know Coach Moore has been waiting on this for years, Adidas offered to sponsor us a few years ago and Coach said no. He likes Nike shoes for some reason, so he bought us Russel uniforms and Nike shoes. Maybe Nike came around with a better design or deal that he liked. I know Wofford is done by Adidas, and they look good.

I read about it on the MMB.

"I know for sure that Nike will be supplying the uniforms this year. They are coming directly from Nike, not through an intermediary. All of the players' other equipment should still be coming from the previous supplier. I can't get a good word on whether or not the coaches will be in Nike, but imagine that they will be."

GeeWiz
July 20th, 2007, 11:01 AM
What cracks me up is the people who think that Nike makes ugly uniforms (and I do think that there are some ugly Nike uniforms out there). Nike doesn't go to schools and force them to wear anything the schools have to want that kind of look. Nike does make very modern looking uniforms but they also make very traditional ones. It is all about what the schools want.

Yes we all know that, but Phil Knight the Pesident and CEO of Nike is a Oregon ALUM!

So you damn well know if Oregon wants to continue to recieve Knight's donations they'll wear green and yellow kilts w/golf knickers for a uniform if they have to! xrulesx

MplsBison
July 20th, 2007, 11:54 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/66/153655404_0fc432a215_o.jpg

"Coach, we have to try to get the ball past the goal line!"

andy7171
July 20th, 2007, 12:10 PM
"Coach, we have to try to get the ball past the goal line!"
Yeah, we beat Delaware that game. Not as easily as last year, but a win is a win. xrolleyesx

HiHiYikas
July 20th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I just wish it was an American owned company, like Under Armor.
I read not long ago that Russell, which owns about 8 other brands, was making a bid to buy Under Armour. I tried to find something about it yesterday, and couldn't. I guess the deal fell through.

People will always associate Nike with attrocious uniforms, because they flirt so much with the cutting edge. Sure, they do Penn State's. But you can make a dozen Penn State's, and everybody's going to remember you for the one Oregon. (Hey, my cereal box had 700 cheerios in it and only one syringe).

I hope ASU doesn't change up the uniforms too much. I would like to see the wording change, though. It's inconspicuous, I know, but it looks pretty bland and doesn't really match any other part of the University's athletics branding. Honestly, they could just put a tiny block "A" on the front of the jersey, and it would look better.

andy7171
July 20th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I read not long ago that Russell, which owns about 8 other brands, was making a bid to buy Under Armour. I tried to find something about it yesterday, and couldn't. I guess the deal fell through.

People will always associate Nike with attrocious uniforms, because they flirt so much with the cutting edge. Sure, they do Penn State's. But you can make a dozen Penn State's, and everybody's going to remember you for the one Oregon. (Hey, my cereal box had 700 cheerios in it and only one syringe).

I hope ASU doesn't change up the uniforms too much. I would like to see the wording change, though. It's inconspicuous, I know, but it looks pretty bland and doesn't really match any other part of the University's athletics branding. Honestly, they could just put a tiny block "A" on the front of the jersey, and it would look better.
whats on there now? I seem to think its Appalachian State in the small lettering.

I wish Towson would get rid of the retarded tiger striped neck and sleeve rings.

HiHiYikas
July 20th, 2007, 12:52 PM
whats on there now? I seem to think its Appalachian State in the small lettering.
That's pretty much it.

It says

Appalachian
State

The font is pretty basic (Roman serif fonts like Times ought to banished from sports altogether). It'a a little bolder and has a couple of outlines on it. It's not a bad looking graphic. It's just a little bland for athletic branding, and it's inconsistent, in that it doesn't match any other university namemark.

andy7171
July 20th, 2007, 01:23 PM
That's pretty much it.

It says

Appalachian
State

The font is pretty basic (Roman serif fonts like Times ought to banished from sports altogether). It'a a little bolder and has a couple of outlines on it. It's not a bad looking graphic. It's just a little bland for athletic branding, and it's inconsistent, in that it doesn't match any other university namemark.
I wouldn't change it until you eventually lose the National Title. I mean it'll happen one day, right? xeyebrowx Don't want to jinx yourself.

BULLDOG8180
July 20th, 2007, 02:28 PM
College team uniforms is a cut throat business. The Citadel just changed from Russell to Nike.

Why? Upfront money, however I do not beleive they will be best move for the school.

Hope you school doesn't go the UA- they are the worst thing for the local economy.

HiHiYikas
July 20th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't change it until you eventually lose the National Title. I mean it'll happen one day, right? xeyebrowx Don't want to jinx yourself.
I think you're right - about the not changing thing, not losing the title. In this fan's humble opinion, ASU will almost certainly win every national title for the next 45 or 50 years...

And the graphic is pretty inconspicuous. Most uniform lettering is. Even if it did change, it wouldn't be a major change.

AppMan
July 20th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I read about it on the MMB.

"I know for sure that Nike will be supplying the uniforms this year. They are coming directly from Nike, not through an intermediary. All of the players' other equipment should still be coming from the previous supplier. I can't get a good word on whether or not the coaches will be in Nike, but imagine that they will be."

All coaches attire will be Nike and they will supply the bookstore with clothing as well. We are already in Nike basketball uni's. I'm not a big fan of the swoosh, won't even think about wearing their shoes, but this is a sweet deal for our program.

MplsBison
July 20th, 2007, 06:45 PM
You don't appreciate Chinese labor?

The Sheriff
July 20th, 2007, 09:14 PM
All coaches attire will be Nike and they will supply the bookstore with clothing as well. We are already in Nike basketball uni's. I'm not a big fan of the swoosh, won't even think about wearing their shoes, but this is a sweet deal for our program.

I didn't really care what the logo was on the UND clothes that I bought, but Nike has put out some nice UND clothing and I have bought a few things with the swoosh on them. Our football team is not with Nike (I'm not sure what they wear actually) but the hockey team has been wearing Nike for the better part of the last decade if I'm not mistaken.

I sort of hope that UND keeps things traditional if they should decide to change. Many people are still trying to get over the black pants...xlolx

DFW HOYA
July 20th, 2007, 10:36 PM
After a number of years with Russell, Nike has started to produce the Georgetown jerseys. Strangely, they don't market them. xoopsx