PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Beasley to coach Bobcat WRs

catbob
July 18th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Yes, that Jonathan Beasley

BOZEMAN, Mont.-Rob Ash filled the Bobcat football coaching staff Wednesday, hiring former Kansas State quarterback Jonathan Beasley as MSU's receivers coach.
Beasley played quarterback at Kansas State from 1996-2000,
serving as team captain as a junior and senior. He was Third Team
All-Big 12 in 2000, and earned MVP honors in the 2001 Cotton Bowl and
2000 Holiday Bowl. He also earned MVP and Team Captain honors for the
2001 Hula Bowl, and was Team Captain for the 2001 East-West Shrine Game.
"I'm very pleased that Jonathan has joined our coaching staff,"
Ash said. "He has extensive experience in the Big 12 and in professional
football, and brings a great knowledge of offensive football and the
passing game to our program. He earned the reputation as a great leader
as a player, and is known for his class, character and integrity."

-msu

DuckDuckGriz
July 18th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Very cool. I remember watching that guy tear up Nebraska and Oklahoma. The Cats are certainly filling up on big name coaches. Definetly making some good progress considering their situation. Congrats.

Off topic - but is there any progress with that Mike Kramer lawsuit?

CopperCat
July 18th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Holy jeez! Ash has some connections alright! Glad to see we've got somebody who will make an impact.

No new developments on Kramer's lawsuit. But a friend of the family (who is well versed in law) seems to think that MSU is hosed on this one.

MplsBison
July 19th, 2007, 09:20 AM
How could that be?

Did they violate his contract?

I would think they'd have a clause in there about poor performance or something.

CopperCat
July 19th, 2007, 08:30 PM
How could that be?

Did they violate his contract?

I would think they'd have a clause in there about poor performance or something.

Wrongful termination is Kramer's main argument. Frankly, I agree with it too. That does not bode well for costs at MSU in the near future.

Mort
July 20th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Wrongful termination is Kramer's main argument. Frankly, I agree with it too. That does not bode well for costs at MSU in the near future.

If you're referring to MSU having to raise football ticket prices, student fees or tuition costs or whatever, to pay for any financial award Kramer might negotiate or win in court, it's my understanding that won't be the case. Any legal action taken by Kramer will be against the State of Montana of which MSU is a part. As a result, the State of Montana (and their liability insurance carrier) as a whole will bear the financial burden of the settlement, judgement, whatever.

It's the same as if somebody took legal action against the state's Health and Human Services department, or Commerce department, etc. in Helena, for instance. They are also state agencies and fall under the State Of Montana umbrella. These things are a cost of doing business and absorbed into the state budget. If anything, taxes on a statewide basis go up to offset these types of legal payouts and/or increased liability insurance premiums.

If Kramer prevails in this, I suspect all Montana University system schools can expect closer oversight by the Commissioner of Higher Education/Board of Regents when it comes to hiring and firing coaches in the future. For instance, I wouldn't be surprised to see the recently approved 3 year contracts revoked by the Regents. It took years for them to get approved by the Regents and if they are unhappy with how the Kramer matter plays out, they may just step in and revoke that. If he prevails, it will have more repercussions than just writing him a check.

If Kramer prevails in this, I think Fields will be gone and possibly Gamble as well, not because Kramer was terminated but because of the way it was handled. But I think there will be more to it than that in the form of Regents actions such as the one stated above. In some states, for instance, the Regents have to approve coaches contracts, even though it's ususally a rubber stamp process that happens after the coach is 'hired' and on the job e.g. Alabama's Regents just approved Nick Saban's contract even though he was 'hired' months ago. If nothing else, the Regents could require the Commissioner of Higher Ed so sign off on any new coaches contract - some sort of oversight. xtwocentsx

saccat
July 20th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Kramer is gone, let the legal cards fall where they may.

It is now time to look forward...Ash is doing a great job at getting coaches that will be able to look at the talent we have and put them in a position to win. I wish our first game against Texas A&M was this Sat.

GO CATS!!!