PDA

View Full Version : JSU's BOT ask for FBS study

Cocky
July 16th, 2007, 11:00 PM
The BOT ask to conduct a study on the possible move to FBS football in today's meeting. I'm sure more official information will be coming shortly.

TexasTerror
July 17th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Couldn't find anything on your JaxState forum or online as far as newspaper articles...got any links to share?

Cocky
July 17th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Couldn't find anything on your JaxState forum or online as far as newspaper articles...got any links to share?

Not yet, there wasn't anything in the local paper this morning. This info came from someone attending the meeting. If I find anything I will post it.

OL FU
July 17th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Not yet, there wasn't anything in the local paper this morning. This info came from someone attending the meeting. If I find anything I will post it.

From reading here and elsewhere, I think this has been expected. Do you agree? Realizing this is early, any thoughts on the outcome?

Cocky
July 17th, 2007, 08:25 AM
From reading here and elsewhere, I think this has been expected. Do you agree? Realizing this is early, any thoughts on the outcome?

The BOT members have been "under the table" pushing this for quite a while. Troy people have also been pushing the BOT to join them in FBS. Our move to I-AA (at the time) wasn't financed properly so hopefully they have learned a lesson. My opinion is we will be moving at some date in the future. I would say in less than five years.

MplsBison
July 17th, 2007, 09:29 AM
So I take it you'll be with Troy in the Sun Belt?

I suppose home/home or 2 home/home with UAB isn't out of the picture.

dbackjon
July 17th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Does JSU have any sugar daddies like Troy does?

DuckDuckGriz
July 17th, 2007, 10:06 AM
What would Troy have at stake for JSU to join them?

Jiggs
July 17th, 2007, 01:18 PM
http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/118468535587270.xml&coll=2&thispage=1

Cocky
July 17th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Does JSU have any sugar daddies like Troy does?

Not sure who at Troy would be a sugar daddy. In relative term, yes JSU does have some people in the same financial world as Troy, but not the UAT and Auburns of the world.

JSU may have a little more money than Troy but neither have much compared to the big dog of FBS.

Cocky
July 17th, 2007, 02:36 PM
What would Troy have at stake for JSU to join them?

We are old rivals but I too have not understood the push by Troy. If the SunBelt added a couple of more football members there would be a championship game. That is the only other reason I could see, but I'm sure there are others.

BearsCountry
July 17th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Sun Belt must be thinking about a championship game or at the very least help in their scheduling, which I think might be the case. Face it for the most part their records have been hit by the crazy OOC they play. You are already putting yourself at a disadvantage by going on the road and playing 4 to 5 SEC, Big 12, or ACC schools before your own conference schedule starts.

JMU Duke Dog
July 17th, 2007, 02:54 PM
What would the Jacksonville State fans here support the most?

- Moving to FBS (I suppose the Sun Belt)
- Move to the SoCon
- Stay in the OVC

Maroons
July 17th, 2007, 03:11 PM
With WKU joining the SunBelt for football, they hit the sweet spot of 9 football playing schools. But they already have 13 basketball schools.

JaxState would give them 14 for basketball and 10 for football. Is 10 enough for a conference championship? Or would they be looking to add two more football playing members?

And will the Sun Belt members want 14-16 basketball playing schools in what is essentially a 1 bid conference?

I guess adding at least one more school doesn't seem like a bad idea... that way the basketball divisions are at least balanced... but the basketball side is starting to look a little bloated.

Cocky
July 17th, 2007, 03:15 PM
What would the Jacksonville State fans here support the most?

- Moving to FBS (I suppose the Sun Belt)
- Move to the SoCon
- Stay in the OVC

I will support no matter where they play, but I support which every would benefit the university the most. I haven't seen any financial numbers about the FBS move.

Of the above options, if would either be FBS or OVC.

BearsCountry
July 17th, 2007, 03:23 PM
With WKU joining the SunBelt for football, they hit the sweet spot of 9 football playing schools. But they already have 13 basketball schools.

JaxState would give them 14 for basketball and 10 for football. Is 10 enough for a conference championship? Or would they be looking to add two more football playing members?

And will the Sun Belt members want 14-16 basketball playing schools in what is essentially a 1 bid conference?

I guess adding at least one more school doesn't seem like a bad idea... that way the basketball divisions are at least balanced... but the basketball side is starting to look a little bloated.

They could go the PAC-10 route and play 9 conference games.

Maroons
July 17th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Unrelated question to you, BearsCountry...

What's up with the helmets on your signature? Just teams your support? Or is there something else?

BearsCountry
July 17th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Unrelated question to you, BearsCountry...

What's up with the helmets on your signature? Just teams your support? Or is there something else?

MSU's schedule - got the idea from the CUSA board.

Maroons
July 17th, 2007, 03:52 PM
MSU's schedule - got the idea from the CUSA board.

Ah ha! I really like that.

soweagle
July 17th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Not sure who at Troy would be a sugar daddy. In relative term, yes JSU does have some people in the same financial world as Troy, but not the UAT and Auburns of the world.

JSU may have a little more money than Troy but neither have much compared to the big dog of FBS.

I'm guessing that the Troy sugar daddy that he is referring to is someone named Schrushie or something along those lines. He was recently in trouble with the SEC (not the football conference) involving his company Health South. I have heard that in the past he donated quite generously to Troy but I have no idea anymore.

SU DOG
July 17th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Troy had at least 2 sugar daddies - Movie Gallery and the City of Troy. I'm not sure JSU has this type of support. Cocky can better speak for JSU than I can, but I would be surprised if the OVC outpolled the SoCon with their fans - at least not the ones I have spoken with.

Cocky
July 17th, 2007, 08:32 PM
You're probably right, I would be one of the few who would select the OVC over the SOCON.

JaxSinfonian
July 18th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Troy's former sugar daddy Richard Scrushy (founder and CEO of HealthSouth (http://www.healthsouth.com/)) isn't just in trouble, he recently was sentenced to seven years in federal prison (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aZZz1yCgf_lo&refer=home) for being a sugar daddy to a former governor. The former governor's behind bars, too.

The field at Troy was named after Scrushy, but after his first indictment (on accounting fraud charges, of which he was acquitted) it was renamed. Movie Gallery (headquartered in nearby Dothan) stepped in as Troy's new deep-pocketed friend, and got the stadium named after them.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I'd vote for moving to the SoCon or remaining in the OVC (with the expectation that the OVC recruits a new member in our neighborhood, either North Alabama, West Georgia or Kennesaw State ... or try again with UTC). Until FBS gets a playoff, I'm not interested.

MplsBison
July 18th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Until FBS gets a playoff, I'm not interested.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07172007/sports/a_football_final_four_sports_lenn_robbins.htm

pete4256
July 18th, 2007, 01:16 PM
For related discussion, you might check out the stir this news has incited among the GSU faithful over on tscsports.com.

JDC325
July 18th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Good for Jax State for being proactive and listening to their alumni even if it is 20 years down the road. Atleast if they ever want to pursue that goal they will have a guide.

walliver
July 18th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Jacksonville State studies move to big time

The headline from the Birmingham Paper.

Since when is the Sun Belt "Big Time":D ?

The fact that they are creating this study committee implies that they have already decided what to do.xtwocentsx

JDC325
July 18th, 2007, 01:53 PM
The headline from the Birmingham Paper.

Since when is the Sun Belt "Big Time":D ?

The fact that they are creating this study committee implies that they have already decided what to do.xtwocentsx

In relation to the OVC it is a step up but I will conced not a huge leap. Stepping up to a level of football that actually has some sort of standards mandating scholarship levels is a moving up no matter what conference.

JaxSinfonian
July 18th, 2007, 02:45 PM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07172007/sports/a_football_final_four_sports_lenn_robbins.htm

Interesting, and certainly an improvement. But the following quote from that story says a lot: "There's not going to be a playoff so you can forget that," said one TV executive who is attending the Big East Conference media gathering here. "But a 'Plus-1' is going to happen - sooner rather than later."

Good for Jax State for being proactive and listening to their alumni even if it is 20 years down the road

I've seen no indication that this move is alumni driven. The BOT member pushing the thing said alumni he's talked to want it. He certainly hasn't talked to me, and I've received no survey, questionnaire or poll seeking my opinion.

In a story today the JSU AD tells The Birmingham News (http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1184747326311630.xml&coll=2)no one talked to him about this before it happened. The driving BOT member mentioned the Sun Belt, but the Sun Belt commish says there's no room at the inn just now.

The fact that they are creating this study committee implies that they have already decided what to do.

Bingo. At least some members of the board appear to already have a goal in mind. But do they have a majority who will vote with them? Do they have a real plan to achieve their goals? Where will they get the money for it? Will they move ahead without a plan or money?

Regarding the last question above: many JSU fans believe the move to D-I 14 years ago was botched, and some are worried the same thing's about to happen again, just as the program is finally getting back on its feet. I'll be watching very closely.

MplsBison
July 18th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Interesting, and certainly an improvement. But the following quote from that story says a lot: [I]"There's not going to be a playoff so you can forget that," said one TV executive who is attending the Big East Conference media gathering here. "But a 'Plus-1' is going to happen - sooner rather than later."

Plus 1 is a 4 team playoff.

Not sure what he meant by that.

Maybe he meant an 8 team playoff wouldn't be happening soon.