PDA

View Full Version : NEC non-conference expectations

aceinthehole
July 16th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Just wondering what the realistic expectations are out there for NEC teams. I'm assuming the NEC team is a underdog in all of the following games, but in your opinion what, if any games, we are expected to win:

Albany at Colgate
Albany at Fordham
Hofstra at Albany
Albany at Montana
Stony Brook at Albany
CCSU at Towson
CCSU at Western Michicgan (FBS)
CCSU at Stony Brook
Monmouth at Maine
Monmouth at Stony Brook
Monmouth at Delaware
VMI at Robert Morris
St. Francis PA at Liberty

Lehigh Football Nation
July 16th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Here are the games where I think you have a chance:

Albany at Colgate
Albany at Fordham
Hofstra at Albany
Stony Brook at Albany
CCSU at Stony Brook
VMI at Robert Morris

Of course, this is predicated on the development of Albany's sophomore QB, who this year is going to be the sole signal-caller. It will be very interesting to see how the NEC does.

andy7171
July 16th, 2007, 11:57 AM
I would really only eliminate the Montana/Albany and CCSU/Western Michigan games. You never really know what teams are going to show up. Those NEC teams, with the exception of St.Francis, have had the ability to jump up and grab a win from the "power confernces" in the recent past.
The best chance games would be VMI/RMU and all those games against Stoney Brook.

89Hen
July 16th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Albany at Fordham
Stony Brook at Albany
CCSU at Stony Brook
Monmouth at Stony Brook
VMI at Robert Morris

Go...gate
July 16th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Just wondering what the realistic expectations are out there for NEC teams. I'm assuming the NEC team is a underdog in all of the following games, but in your opinion what, if any games, we are expected to win:

Albany at Colgate
Albany at Fordham
Hofstra at Albany
Albany at Montana
Stony Brook at Albany
CCSU at Towson
CCSU at Western Michicgan (FBS)
CCSU at Stony Brook
Monmouth at Maine
Monmouth at Stony Brook
Monmouth at Delaware
VMI at Robert Morris
St. Francis PA at Liberty

Not an underdog in this game by any stretch of the imagination.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 16th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I would really only eliminate the Montana/Albany and CCSU/Western Michigan games. You never really know what teams are going to show up. Those NEC teams, with the exception of St.Francis, have had the ability to jump up and grab a win from the "power confernces" in the recent past.
The best chance games would be VMI/RMU and all those games against Stoney Brook.

^^^^^^^^^What Andy said, except I could see Albany knocking off either Colgate or Hofstra, but probably not both. My guess is Hofstra since it is at Albany.

PeacockRaider
July 16th, 2007, 01:07 PM
It's also Colgate's opener, which for some reason has haunted 'Gate. Even the great run in 2003, Colgate had an improbable comeback win to open the year in Georgetown 20-19.

faxjusfax
July 16th, 2007, 01:14 PM
It's also Colgate's opener, which for some reason has haunted 'Gate. Even the great run in 2003, Colgate had an improbable comeback win to open the year in Georgetown 20-19.

Hey PeacockRaider ......... you with a new team now?

aceinthehole
July 16th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Not an underdog in this game by any stretch of the imagination.

IMO - The Stony Brook games are likely "pick 'em." But remember, on paper SBU is in its 2nd year as a full scholly Independent, while the 3 NEC team just reached the 30 equivs this year and have less playesr on full rides! SBU has a "head start" on the other 3 teams, plus CCSU and Monmouth have big losees on Offesne and must face the Seawolves on the road. Albany may be the only true "favorite" on paper (assuming we actually had a vegas line).

Colagte and Fordham certainly aren't heavy favorites, but again on paper based on history, schollys, and home filed advantage they should both be about a 1 to 3 point favorite. Yes, Albany has a more than better shot to leave with a wins, but are we actually EXPECTING wins over the PL? If so, that is a marked change in the reputation of the NEC that many on this board have not yet acknowledged or accepted. If we are actually PREDICTING wins now, then boy the times they are a-changin'. Personally, I didn't think we are there yet.

VMI may be one of the realtively weakest comapred to most FCS teams, but RMU is facing its first scholly opponent ever! They get the home field advantage and are coming off a good year in the NEC, but I'd have to imagine they are still about 7 point 'dogs to VMI. Since RMU has never played a scholly team and VMI has never faced a non-scholly, this is a tough call. I can see RMU winning, but IMO its still a mild upset.

The toughest games are certainly at Montana and at Western Mich. UA is probably 28 point 'dogs and CCSU may get 42 or more on the line. Finally, SFPA may have a long day in Lynchburg and I could envision a 35 point spread entering the game. These are the only 3 wins that will "shock the FCS world," but I have to belive that if they happen, the other games will be slight to moderate upsets (excluding SBU).

TheValleyRaider
July 16th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Albany at Colgate
Albany at Fordham
Hofstra at Albany
Stony Brook at Albany
CCSU at Towson
CCSU at Stony Brook
Monmouth at Maine
Monmouth at Stony Brook
Monmouth at Delaware
VMI at Robert Morris

I think all of these have the potential to be NEC wins. Note, I'm not saying they will win them all, or even most of them, but some of these will undoubtably go your way. If pressed, I'd say Albany gets 2 or 3 wins (Colgate, Fordham, either SBU or Hofstra), CCSU 1, Monmouth 1 and RMU beats VMI.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 16th, 2007, 03:47 PM
As bad as VMI has been, I think they'll win against RMU, but that's just the confederate in me talking. ;)

PeacockRaider
July 16th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Hey PeacockRaider ......... you with a new team now?

HaHa, no my younger siblings both played at Colgate, so I've been going to all their games and loved the tailgating and partying up there. Now that they're graduated, I started going back to my SPC games last year. Unfortunately that was short lived, and will try to make it to some 'gate games this year. Still rooting for the remaining MAAC teams to do well, hope to see LaSalle in the Pioneer League next year.

maacfb
July 16th, 2007, 06:35 PM
VMI has played a NS team. they got beat by Duquesne a couple years back

danefan
July 16th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Nice try....
Albany at Montana
CCSU at Western Michigan

Underdogs, but possible:
CCSU at Towson
Monmouth at Delaware
VMI at Robert Morris

Even Steven or maybe even....NEC favored!
Albany at Colgate
Albany at Fordham
Hofstra at Albany
Monmouth at Maine

Stony who?.....
Stony Brook at Albany
CCSU at Stony Brook
Monmouth at Stony Brook

Seawolf97
July 16th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Nice try....
Albany at Montana
CCSU at Western Michigan

Underdogs, but possible:
CCSU at Towson
Monmouth at Delaware
VMI at Robert Morris

Albany at Colgate
Albany at Fordham
Hofstra at Albany
Monmouth at Maine

Stony who?.....
Stony Brook at Albany
CCSU at Stony Brook
Monmouth at Stony Brook

Let the record show that Albany hasnt beaten us in the last 2 seasons,
we are .500 against CCSU over the last 2 seasons and we pounded the NEC Champ Monmouth at Monmouth in 2006- their only loss of 2006.
So it should be interesting matchups between old rivals.

mainejeff
July 16th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Nice try....
Albany at Montana
CCSU at Western Michigan

Underdogs, but possible:
CCSU at Towson
Monmouth at Delaware
VMI at Robert Morris

Albany at Colgate
Albany at Fordham
Hofstra at Albany
Monmouth at Maine

Stony who?.....
Stony Brook at Albany
CCSU at Stony Brook
Monmouth at Stony Brook

Yeah, right. Believe me, I have seen some Maine stinkers recently.......but ask other CAA fans what the chances are that Monmouth pulls an upset in Orono (in a night game no less). By the way, Monmouth will be nowhere near a favorite or even slight underdog in this game. Maine by 4 TDs.

danefan
July 16th, 2007, 09:22 PM
we are .500 against CCSU over the last 2 seasons and we pounded the NEC Champ Monmouth at Monmouth in 2006- their only loss of 2006.

Very true....but SBU hasn't "beaten" Albany either. We have beaten ourselves. Stupid 7-3 loss two years ago and then losing last year on two fumbles returned for TDs! But hey a loss is a loss right.

Ahhh.....the "Evil Empire" strikes again!xthumbsupx

danefan
July 16th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Yeah, right. Believe me, I have seen some Maine stinkers recently.......but ask other CAA fans what the chances are that Monmouth pulls an upset in Orono (in a night game no less). By the way, Monmouth will be nowhere near a favorite or even slight underdog in this game. Maine by 4 TDs.

I didn't take the trip to Newfoundland into account.xsmiley_wix
But I'm not so sure about 4 TDs.
I'll need a new category...NEC underdog...

Ahh what we all came here for in the first place....football!

aceinthehole
July 16th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Nice try....
Albany at Montana
CCSU at Western Michigan

Underdogs, but possible:
CCSU at Towson
Monmouth at Delaware
VMI at Robert Morris

Albany at Colgate
Albany at Fordham
Hofstra at Albany
Monmouth at Maine

Stony who?.....
Stony Brook at Albany
CCSU at Stony Brook
Monmouth at Stony Brook

Dane, I like this approach :)

I woud probably put Hofstra and Maine in the Underdog, but possible catagory (meaning they're all 10 point or less 'dogs). MJ is right that's a hell of a road trip for MU, and Hofstra is still a stretch for UA, but very, very, very possibe.

The Montana, WMU, and Liberty games are around at 28+ underdogs (depending on the exact matchup).

The SBU games and Colgate/Fordham are pick 'em ;)

aceinthehole
July 16th, 2007, 10:08 PM

Going back 4 seasons, SBU is

2-2 vs. Albany
2-2 vs. CCSU
2-2 vs. Monmouth

You had a nice and competative rivaly with all 3 teams! I'm glad the games between the schools are continuing, but I still think your AD made a MAJOR MISTAKE by leaving the NEC. You would have been a challanger for the NEC title and furthered our chances at an AQ. Mark my words, the Big South will be a temporary home and a short stay. IMO he did a disservice to the SBU and its NEC peers, specifically UA, CCSU, and MU. xoopsx

downbythebeach
July 16th, 2007, 11:50 PM
If albany can't beat Fordham they ain't beating Hofstra no matter where the game is played.

downbythebeach
July 16th, 2007, 11:50 PM
I want SBU back.....

I miss you guys....

danefan
July 17th, 2007, 07:39 AM
If albany can't beat Fordham they ain't beating Hofstra no matter where the game is played.

That's kind of the mentality we had last year....but we all got the two games wrong we thought we'd win...Last year we had Fodham and Cornell as wins and Lehigh and Delaware as losses. Complete opposite result.

Ruler 79
July 17th, 2007, 09:25 AM
SBU has beaten UA only 3 times in history. I believe the series is 10-3 lifetime. Danefan is correct, take away 3 stupid fumbles (all returned for TD's btw) and we win the last two years as well.

NO EXCUSES UA WAS BEAT BY THE BETTER TEAM THOSE TWO GAMES!

UA beats SBU most years including this year.

Montana beats UA soundly
UA beats Fordham
UA beats SBU

Toss up
Colgate
Hofstra

downbythebeach
July 17th, 2007, 11:45 AM
That's kind of the mentality we had last year....but we all got the two games wrong we thought we'd win...Last year we had Fodham and Cornell as wins and Lehigh and Delaware as losses. Complete opposite result.

What was that about?

Didn't y'all crush Fordham the year before?

stonywolf
July 17th, 2007, 12:40 PM
I freaking hate you albany guys. All you guys do is

IF

IF

IF

IF

IF!!!

What IF you guys were the better team??

Thats what i thought!

Albany, Monmouth, and Central are our greatest rivals. Every game is tough, competitive and hard fought, esp. those games against Central.

Stony Brook is a good team, and a good program.

Give us the respect we deserve!!!!!!

And by the way, we're going to turn ALOT of heads this season!

aceinthehole
July 17th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Albany, Monmouth, and Central are our greatest rivals. Every game is tough, competitive and hard fought, esp. those games against Central.

So why join the Big South? I agree with you, SBU is a good team and a nice opponent, but didn't your AD make a huge mistake by leaving the NEC?

Don't you wish you were playing UA, CCSU, and Monmouth for a conference title instead of a meaningless non-conference game? Don't you think SBU would have helped the NEC bid for an AQ for 2008 and made a bigger impact on the FCS scene staying in a geographic fiendly conference?

Good luck vs. your other opponents, however I'm hoping SBU gets swept by the NEC teams :)

andy7171
July 17th, 2007, 01:46 PM
So why join the Big South? I agree with you, SBU is a good team and a nice opponent, but didn't your AD make a huge mistake by leaving the NEC?

Don't you wish you were playing UA, CCSU, and Monmouth for a conference title instead of a meaningless non-conference game? Don't you think SBU would have helped the NEC bid for an AQ for 2008 and made a bigger impact on the FCS scene staying in a geographic fiendly conference?

Good luck vs. your other opponents, however I'm hoping SBU gets swept by the NEC teams :)

DDDDDAAAAAYYYYYUUUMMMMMMM!! THAT'S COLD!

danefan
July 17th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I freaking hate you albany guys. All you guys do is

IF

IF

IF

IF

IF!!!

What IF you guys were the better team??

Thats what i thought!

Give us the respect we deserve!!!!!!

And by the way, we're going to turn ALOT of heads this season!

Stony Brook is the self-proclaimed "Evil Empire". Get over it. Its like being the Yankees.....but without all the championships and winning seasonsxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

For real though, SBU is a great rivalry in all sports. We love when any UA team beats our SUNY Sister from the South. You're not going to get any respect from us Albany guys (except for your stadium). Period. That's what makes a good rivalry.

ATrain
July 17th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I for one am happy that SBU left the NEC and joined the Big South. Granted, its definitely a marriage of convenience, but I think SBU made the right decision if they want to offer 63 scholarships.

downbythebeach
July 17th, 2007, 03:26 PM
I can't blame them for leaving, we don't give enough schollies.

But maybe in a few years when the NEC allows more schollies they come back. Like was said before, the Big South is only a short term fix.

I hope within a few years we atleast allow 37 schollies (one more than D-II)......a nice slow progression.

aceinthehole
July 17th, 2007, 03:34 PM
I for one am happy that SBU left the NEC and joined the Big South. Granted, its definitely a marriage of convenience, but I think SBU made the right decision if they want to offer 63 scholarships.

So let me get this right - Albany, CCSU, and Monmouth are widely considered an even match vs. SBU, but have half the amount of schollys. SBU is not considered a favorite in any games vs. these former NEC foes.

UA, CCSU, and Monmouth have shown they can compete with, and have beaten AQ-conferences foes and have the ability to upset many highly regarded FCS teams on AGS. We can agree SBU likely has a similar ability/perception.

UA, CCSU, and Monmouth enjoy a rivalry with eachother and easy travel in and around 120 miles of NYC. Their conference is currently eligble for an AQ and is again attempting to gain direct access to the 2008 playoffs.

SBU scheduled 2 years as an Indy and then joined a conference with no natual or geographic rivals. The conference is not even AQ ELIGIBLE until 2010.

Sorry, I'm lost. It seems like SBU has a larger budget (and travel expenses) and now plays against many non-regional foes. I don't get the advantage. The only thing SBU achived by leaving the NEC was the ability to offer 33 additional schollys. I guess, maybe this can be an advantage in the future, but right now it seems like a lot of extra $$ and loss of marketing and exposure just for a few schollys. Furthermore, this move does not guarantee you will beat UA, CCSU, and Monmouth on a regular basis, nor did it get you entry into an AQ conference.

Maybe I'm being a NEC homer, but can you can explain it to me.

danefan
July 17th, 2007, 03:48 PM
I can't blame them for leaving, we don't give enough schollies.

But maybe in a few years when the NEC allows more schollies they come back. Like was said before, the Big South is only a short term fix.

I hope within a few years we atleast allow 37 schollies (one more than D-II)......a nice slow progression.

Will most likely be maxed at around 45 rides before 2008 season (50 if necessary for the auto-bid).

And...Stony Brook will never be allowed back in the NEC. Won't happen. Surely not as an associate football member.

aceinthehole
July 17th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Will most likely be maxed at around 45 rides before 2008 season (50 if necessary for the auto-bid).

And...Stony Brook will never be allowed back in the NEC. Won't happen. Surely not as an associate football member.

Dane, you're probably right on both accounts. I think the NEC will wait and see what the NCAA comes up with regarding AQ access. If we need 50 schollys for the AQ, than we'll likely move the league to that number.

As for SBU back to the NEC, for me this is business and I hold no grudge. I simply think the SBU AD is a fool and made a big mistake, but maybe he proves me wrong in 2011 or 2012, who knows. Do you know how much the NEC collected as a buyout fee from SBU?

I know this would never happen, but ... if SBU can afford another buyout to the Big South, and is willing to sign another contract and pay another entry fee to the NEC, then I'd let them back. We could always use the cash and SBU fits well. But I know this would never happen.

rmutv
July 17th, 2007, 04:04 PM
So let me get this right - Albany, CCSU, and Monmouth are widely considered an even match vs. SBU, but have half the amount of schollys. SBU is not considered a favorite in any games vs. these former NEC foes.
[...]
Sorry, I'm lost. It seems like SBU has a larger budget (and travel expenses) and now plays against many non-regional foes. I don't get the advantage. The only thing SBU achived by leaving the NEC was the ability to offer 33 additional schollys. I guess, maybe this can be an advantage in the future, but right now it seems like a lot of extra $$ and loss of marketing and exposure just for a few schollys. Furthermore, this move does not guarantee you will beat UA, CCSU, and Monmouth on a regular basis, nor did it get you entry into an AQ conference.

Maybe I'm being a NEC homer, but can you can explain it to me.

You're not being an NEC homer. You're being logical. Stony Brook wouldn't even be a favorite against Robert Morris, right now.

There was this last year at Stony Brook:
http://www.rmucolonials.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=59580&SPID=6527&DB_OEM_ID=13900&ATCLID=832459

You know, when I see teams gear themselves to move up to a more competitive level, I usually expect them to have a run of dominance against their previous competition. So, by that argument, if Stony Brook was ready for the move on the field, they should've won the NEC last year and done very well in their out-of-conference schedule.

Instead, Stony Brook finished in a three-way tie with Robert Morris and Albany for second place behind Monmouth, and went 0-4 in their out-of-conference schedule.

http://www.northeastconference.org/schedules.asp?id=336&path=fball

Now, that's a tough schedule, but to get blown out by that much by UMass and New Hampshire suggests that Stony Brook isn't quite ready to compete. If Stony Brook was ready, they would have won against Hofstra/Georgetown and played UNH/UMass closer. UNH and UMass should have still won, but not by 40+ points.

danefan
July 17th, 2007, 04:22 PM
For some reason I think the Stony Brook AD has forgotten to live by the mistakes of his brethren. It seems from what could be argued is an outsider's perspective, that Stony Brook is following rather closely in the much maligned footsteps of Buffalo.

The Albany staff and administration have tailored our advancement to avoid the mistakes Buffalo made. Is SBU doing the same?

IaaScribe
July 17th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Going back to VMI, they also needed non-scholly Davidson to miss a two-point conversion with no time left to escape with a win at home last year.

rmutv
July 17th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I'd offer up a better analysis of RMU versus VMI, but I'm still weighing how Robert Morris is going to do this year. I need to see some of their camp when it begins August 8th (one-a-days, with two-a-days on August 13th).

So much young talent on the team that it's just unclear where it's going to slot in.

Seawolf97
July 17th, 2007, 09:27 PM
xthumbsupx Im glad this thread is as lively as it has been. I was getting tired of App State and the Southern Conference having all the fun. This should be an interesting season .

Seahawks Fan
July 18th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Good luck to SBU, but I never understood this move. What about rivalries? Not in this league.

danefan
July 18th, 2007, 08:05 AM
You know what the great thing is....if this post came up before last season...it would have gotten a "San Diego" like rejection as the NEC being a bad conference and having no shot an any OOC games. Oh what a year can do.

Seahawks Fan
July 18th, 2007, 08:35 AM
You know what the great thing is....if this post came up before last season...it would have gotten a "San Diego" like rejection as the NEC being a bad conference and having no shot an any OOC games. Oh what a year can do.

Agreed. The NEC made a huge step forward last year. Albany's win at Delaware lead the way. Now to keep up the momentum this year.

aceinthehole
July 18th, 2007, 08:54 AM
SF,

Do you think we will see Wagner attempt an "up" game next year?

Personally, I think Wagner could be a jewel of the NEC in all sports. You have a one of the best campus and location in the country. The academics programs are above average and you have some good coaches. The school is just so small - what is the financial picture like?

I think it would be great for the Seahawks to play some of NYC teams. Fordham would be a perfect matchup. Columbia could be another reasonable opponent. Maybe take a trip to DC/Baltimore to face Georgetown, Howard, or Morgan State. I'm not suggesting you'd win any of these games, but it would raise the profile of the program.

Wagner is certainly not ready for a Delaware or Montana, but "baby steps" would help the school and the NEC. It would great to see ALL of the NEC try to play at least 1 scholarship opponent per year.

Ruler 79
July 18th, 2007, 09:22 AM
I think Wagner could/should ramp up and playing Fordham and Columbia are logical choices. I know they are private and tuition is expensive but it could be done. SHU would have no problem so I imagine Wagner to be in a similar position. The only fear I have is outside of UA, CCSU, and Monmouth do these remaining schools have any desire to jump up to 50 rides if an AQ is on the line.

No doubt if an AQ is in play the minimum will be 50 rides. If the NEC ups it to 50 then there is no reason for UA to look for greener pastures. I doubt that AE football comes about but a CAA split is still in the cards IMHO. If that occurs will the NEC disband? With UA, CCSU, and Monmouth(and maybe RMC) leaving. Wagner, SHU, RM, SFU hold the NEC's fututre in their hands.

DetroitFlyer
July 18th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Of course the NEC has made strides, but let's not forget that the PFL Champion soundly defeated the NEC Champion, on the NEC Champion's home field. I will not be surprised if the PFL makes it two in a row this season. Believe it or not, teams in both conferences can play some high level FCS football!

Ruler 79
July 18th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Buddy,

Get over it already. SD beat Monmouth. SD is an abberation for the PFL. I really do not think it will be two in a row. If it is then great, you will have a team that can compete in the NEC.

I understand your desire for respect for your program but no need to blow out the candle of the NEC because of jealousy. The PFL for the most part only plays the lower tier NEC teams and wins. SD did beat Monmouth soundly and I was very surprised.

While the talent gap is still close between the top of the PFL and the NEC you guys should be scheduling as many games as you can against UA, CCSU, and Monmouth. Because in another year or two the gap will be alot wider.

Seahawks Fan
July 18th, 2007, 01:16 PM
It hasn't been Wagner's style to schedule "up" games, although we did play Cornell back in the late 90s. We've had San Diego on our schedule, and this year we will be going to Jacksonville. Costs are an obvious concern.

I definitely agree that we should try to schedule the other NYC schools (Fordham and Columbia). They would make great rivalries. Back in the 60s and 70s we had a big rivalry with Hofstra. That would be another interesting "up" game.

Go...gate
July 18th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Buddy,

Get over it already. SD beat Monmouth. SD is an abberation for the PFL. I really do not think it will be two in a row. If it is then great, you will have a team that can compete in the NEC.

I understand your desire for respect for your program but no need to blow out the candle of the NEC because of jealousy. The PFL for the most part only plays the lower tier NEC teams and wins. SD did beat Monmouth soundly and I was very surprised.

While the talent gap is still close between the top of the PFL and the NEC you guys should be scheduling as many games as you can against UA, CCSU, and Monmouth. Because in another year or two the gap will be alot wider.

I am sure Dayton will be doing this - they already have Fordham home-and-home this year with the return game in 2008, I believe.

Go...gate
July 18th, 2007, 03:22 PM
It hasn't been Wagner's style to schedule "up" games, although we did play Cornell back in the late 90s. We've had San Diego on our schedule, and this year we will be going to Jacksonville. Costs are an obvious concern.

I definitely agree that we should try to schedule the other NYC schools (Fordham and Columbia). They would make great rivalries. Back in the 60s and 70s we had a big rivalry with Hofstra. That would be another interesting "up" game.

Lafayette is also fairly close (and it would give me an excuse to scout those dastardly Leopards.) :)

The Wagner ballpark is also in a nice setting.

rmutv
July 18th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Of course the NEC has made strides, but let's not forget that the PFL Champion soundly defeated the NEC Champion, on the NEC Champion's home field. I will not be surprised if the PFL makes it two in a row this season. Believe it or not, teams in both conferences can play some high level FCS football!

San Diego is the only team that could have accomplished that feat last year.

San Diego does not belong in the PFL, yet they've made no strides to schedule significantly tougher nor to move to another conference.

Besides, just look at the title of the website. Anything can happen on Any Given Saturday. xrotatehx

DetroitFlyer
July 18th, 2007, 05:19 PM
that Monmouth losing to San Diego is a bummer for NEC fans. Frankly, I think that Drake just might have beaten Monmouth last year as well.... In fact, the last place team in the PFL defeated Robert Morris last year. PFL teams are scheduling some tough OOC games in 2007 as well. The match up I really want to see is Wagner/Dayton. My Flyers need to avenge that 1987 Stagg Bowl loss.... The NEC was rated higher than te PFL last year according to the GPI, but that is hardly a trend.... Let's see what 2007 brings....

aceinthehole
July 18th, 2007, 05:36 PM
that Monmouth losing to San Diego is a bummer for NEC fans. Frankly, I think that Drake just might have beaten Monmouth last year as well.... In fact, the last place team in the PFL defeated Robert Morris last year. PFL teams are scheduling some tough OOC games in 2007 as well. The match up I really want to see is Wagner/Dayton. My Flyers need to avenge that 1987 Stagg Bowl loss.... The NEC was rated higher than te PFL last year according to the GPI, but that is hardly a trend.... Let's see what 2007 brings....

DF - I would love to see that.

Seriously, I strongly encourage you to start a NEW thread listing all the 2007 PFL games vs. scholly teams as I did for the NEC. I listed 13 games in which a NEC was facing a scholly team, including 1 from FBs. I'm intersted to see how the PFL non-conference schedule matches up.

This is not smack, but if you want to keep suggesting that the PFL is scheduling as well as the NEC is, then you should be able to provide some real discussion about the PFL non-conf schedules. I'm sorry but I see wt too many sub-DI games, and very few matchupos vs. scholly/full equiv teams.

Monmouth Fan
July 19th, 2007, 07:25 AM
In fact, the last place team in the PFL defeated Robert Morris last year.

Didn't RMU beat Butler as well, a couple of weeks later, by a larger margin than their loss to Dayton? As for Drake beating Monmouth, that's entirely possible, but last year Monmouth would've been favored going into that one.

rmutv
July 19th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Didn't RMU beat Butler as well, a couple of weeks later, by a larger margin than their loss to Dayton? As for Drake beating Monmouth, that's entirely possible, but last year Monmouth would've been favored going into that one.

Robert Morris lost to Dayton 21-14. The Colonials had a 14-0 lead deep into the 3rd quarter until Mario Hines couldn't get out of the way of a punt that he wanted to roll and Dayton recovered. QB Erik Cwalinski couldn't hold onto the ball either, so if not for some early season mistakes, Dayton likely gets shut out instead of squeaking out a comeback win.

Robert Morris lost the next week to Duquesne with many of the same issues, then fixed them all against Butler on the road. They beat the Bulldogs 35-14, pulling away easily in the 2nd half.

Butler then beat Dayton 23-20 two weeks later.

The win against Butler started a five game winning streak for the Colonials.

What does all of this say? Anything can happen on Any Given Saturday.

rmutv
July 19th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Oh, and Dayton wasn't the last place team in the conference. Valparaiso had an equal record in conference play, and if you go by overall record, then Butler, Valparaiso, and Morehead State were about on par.

DetroitFlyer
July 19th, 2007, 11:02 AM
I know that my Flyers finished in a tie for last in the PFL last season with Valparaiso, both a 1-6 conference record. Still very hard to believe.... But, we did defeat Robert Morris, A 30 scholarship Austin Peay team, and Division III playoff team Wittenberg. Go figure, those conference games are tough to win.... Yep, even in a "weak" conference like the PFL.... According to legendary coach Mike Kelly, Butler is Dayton's primary rival, ( we have played Butler more than any other PFL team ). The results of the game last year bear that out, a fairly poor but improving Butler team knocked off the Flyers! Dayton never really recovered and lost close games to conference foes and got blown out by USD.... Still, did I mention that we finished last and yet we defeated Robert Morris? Just want to be sure I did not miss that point....xlolx This year's UD/Robert Morris game should be very interesting. I have ordered my tickets, ( 10 total for my Pittsburgh based family and I ), and I'll be there at Joe Walton to cheer on the Flyers! Oh, and did I mention who won last seasons matchup between the Flyers and Colonials?

rmutv
July 19th, 2007, 11:49 AM
I know that my Flyers finished in a tie for last in the PFL last season with Valparaiso, both a 1-6 conference record. Still very hard to believe.... But, we did defeat Robert Morris, A 30 scholarship Austin Peay team, and Division III playoff team Wittenberg. Go figure, those conference games are tough to win.... Yep, even in a "weak" conference like the PFL.... According to legendary coach Mike Kelly, Butler is Dayton's primary rival, ( we have played Butler more than any other PFL team ). The results of the game last year bear that out, a fairly poor but improving Butler team knocked off the Flyers! Dayton never really recovered and lost close games to conference foes and got blown out by USD.... Still, did I mention that we finished last and yet we defeated Robert Morris? Just want to be sure I did not miss that point....xlolx This year's UD/Robert Morris game should be very interesting. I have ordered my tickets, ( 10 total for my Pittsburgh based family and I ), and I'll be there at Joe Walton to cheer on the Flyers! Oh, and did I mention who won last seasons matchup between the Flyers and Colonials?

Butler beat Dayton.
Dayton beat Robert Morris.
Robert Morris beat Central Connecticut State.
CCSU beat Georgia Southern.
Georgia Southern beat Coastal Carolina
Coastal Carolina lost to Appalachian State who won the whole darn thing.

So by your logic, Butler deserved to play App. State for all the marbles.

Any. Given. Saturday.

What matters is what you do over the course of the season, who you play against. The PFL continues to schedule non-D1 opponents while the NEC has made the effort to schedule tougher to the point where the NEC has only TWO (2) non-D1 opponents scheduled this year.

DetroitFlyer
July 19th, 2007, 12:16 PM
I like that feature. We had a whole thread with a link to the software last year to run those possibilities. If I remember right, I was able to find some Division III team beating the Ohio State University! What matters is the results at the end of the game. You can make up any excuse you want for a loss or a win, but trust me, they keep score for a reason! Each and every game matters. The PFL is lagging behind the NEC schedule wise, but the PFL is improving as well! I do not see the PFL increasing the level of sub-division I games in the future, in fact I expect it to slowly decrease over time. I could see the day in the not too distant future when the PFL averages maybe one sub-division I game a season per team. Still not good enough for me, but I could live with it....