PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Wofford, Furman, and the supposed battle for 2nd place

AndrewFU21
July 11th, 2007, 09:45 PM
As much as I don't like it, the Southern Conference may well be a battle for 2nd place this year. Reading this board, it seems like many people are drinking the WoCo kool-aid and hoping on the bandwagon. I don't necessarily mind this, and I do believe Wofford has a good team, but I wonder if people are getting carried away. I have several reasons to believe that Furman will be better than Wofford in 2007.

Most of the time, people's reasoning behind placing Wofford over Furman seems to be based on each team's results against Appalachian in 2006. Sure, Wofford's 14-7 loss looks much better than Furman's 40-7 defeat, but lets look at it more closely.

As it turns out, ASU outgained FU by 130 yards, and Wofford by 110 yards. That is a difference of 20 yards, which doesn't seem very significant to me. It is more likely that Wofford's +2 turnover ratio in the game factored heavily in keeping the game close(not to mention the Terrier's style of play, which is conducive to close losses). And while Furman ended up getting blown out, recall that it was very much a contest into the 3rd quarter, when the wheels fell off a young and Felton-less Furman team and the momentum of Kidd Brewer took over. Basically, I would argue that one shouldn't expect Wofford to be better than Furman based purely on those games, which is what some seem to be doing.

Furthermore, if we are looking at head to head matchups, then let us analyze one that is more relevant: Furman and Wofford. FU has defeated Wofford by two touchdowns in the past two years, and, sports fans, having attended both contests I will tell you that neither should have even been that close. Both times, Furman jumped out early and was physically dominant the whole way. In 2005, Furman led 34-7 before Wofford scored twice in the last six minutes to make it 34-21. Last year in Spartanburg, Furman led by 21 until a Wofford TD in the final minute on a weird blocked punt play made it 35-21. So, given that Furman beat Wofford easily last year, and that both squads return nearly everyone, and that the game is in Greenville, I feel pretty good about a Furman win. Of course, Wofford doesn't have to beat Furman to finish higher in the standings.

Consider that last year, Wofford led the entire subdivision in turnover margin at +21, or +1.91 per game. Anyone who has read Phil Steele will know that turnovers are normally cyclical, meaning that a team that benefits from a very good turnover margin one year will likely have a worse TO margin the next, and vice versa. Teams with a very good turnover margin rarely improve their records the next season, just like teams with an awful TO margin normally have a better record the next year.

Probably the best indicator of success in football is yardage gained and given up. This is so because yardage gives a better reflection of how well a team is playing, and is less influenced by 'luck' and chance. In other words, the team who ends the game with more offensive yards is *normally* the better team in the game, but doesn't always win because of turnovers, special teams, etc. Below is the average yardage differential of SoCon teams last year:

Appalachian State +140.8
Furman +64
Georgia Southern +20
Citadel -5.6
Wofford -7
Elon -37.5
Chattanooga -38.8
WCU -126.9

As you can see, ASU was by far the best team in the conference statistically, and GSU was probably better than their record indicated. Even more telling is that Wofford was actually outgained by an average of 7 yards a game last year!! That is very unusual for a 7-4 team, leading one to believe that Wofford's success had a lot to do with their favorable turnover ratio last year.

Anyway, I am arguing that Furman will be better than Wofford and should be considered the favorite to finish 2nd in the SoCon. Also, I'll throw in that FU gets to play both Wofford and Appalachian at home, which will likely play to our advantage.

Could I be dead wrong in my analysis? Do I have way to much time on my hands to look up stupid statistics? Does football season need to get here ASAP? Yes, yes, and yes:D

Jerbearasu
July 11th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I agree on all fronts. Wofford is a team that will either play really well or really poorly. In 05 they were manhandled by App. They did play great last year after giving up those two early TD's but couldn't generate enough points to overcome that margin. Ayers is a gutsy coach and last year his chances seemed to work. The Furman game last year was an aberration. I think people see the final score and think that FU got creamed. Furman should have head into half time with a 10-7 lead but a blocked field goal returned for a TD changed the tune of that game and then things went downhill from there ending in a BL meltdown in Kidd Brewer (not that we haven't seen the same song and dance from him before)... I think Woffy is getting way too much hype this year and I really don't hear enough support behind Ga. Southern IMO. Everyone is on the fence about them until they see what happens because of all the turmoil in Statesboro. I fear they come out guns-ablazin and slide right back into making the Big 3 complete again with Woffy on the outside looking in. I am actually predicting a FU SoCon title next year. I think Furman will beat App but lose to GSU. Those should be the only loses for Furman and App so the tie-breaker goes to Furman. I think 3rd will be a 3-way tie with GSU, Woffy and Cit with the cellar of the conference being the usual suspects.

OL FU
July 12th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Good thoughtful write ups.

Can you tell FU guys don't like being rated behind Woffordxmadx xlolx xthumbsupx

The only thing that concerns me is the following: ( I am not purposely leaving out other SoCon Teams I am concentrating on those generally considered for the top of the conference this year and I am including GaSU for reasons that will be clear below.)

Furman and Wofford Head to head - Advantage Furman (history and home field advantage.
ASU- Both teams have ASU at home. If one of us knock off ASU that is a big advantage.
Citadel - Both Teams go to Charleston. I lack knowledge of Citadel and Wofford recently ( can some one give me a link to that great site that recapped games since 1978) but I know the Citadel always plays Furman hard especially in Charleston. Rivalries are everywhere but Furman and the Citadel has an old one and while the Dogs will want both games them seem to get up for Furman. Furman should not lose there but my gut tells me that we may have a better chance of losing there than Wofford.

GSUxmadx Wofford has them at home, We go there. Wofford has owned GSU lately and we have only beat them once ( I think ) in Statesboro.xmadx Nuff said.

If things go according to OL FU's plan, the Furman Wofford game decides which one is higher than the other. But the games I mentioned above (with the exception of ASU, I believe FU has the best shot of taking them down in the regular season ) I think gives an advantage to Wofford. (Even if I think we are better than themxsmiley_wix )

El_Cid_99
July 12th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Our game last year with Woffy was a disaster, points-wise. We moved the ball all day long against them, and still ended up short in the only numbers that mattered: the final score. Check out these stats:

total plays: Cit= 85 Woffy= 39
first downs: Cit= 24 Woffy= 7
total yards: Cit= 356 Woffy= 239
time of poss: Cit= 37:10 Woffy= 22:50

So no, I'm not buying the preseason hype for the Terriers either. I saw too many flaws in that team last year.

terrierbob
July 12th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Gentlemen:

This may be therapeutic for you, I don't know. It may be for the Purple bulletin board. Howsomeever, no Terrier fan I know believes the hype. I'll be happy if we get beyond what one Paladin sniper terms "the best 7-4 team in the country". I'm not saying we won't have a good team, but we're not assuming any coronation when we're third in succession!

Eyes of Old Main
July 12th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Addressing points made by several of you guys.

I, along with many Wofford fans, consider the Terriers to be a #3 pick behind Appalachian and Furman. I think we may be on par with Furman, but until we beat them, I can not pick us above them.

I agree with most of the analysis above on how games may go. Wofford probably has an edge over Furman over GSU, Furman probably has one over Wofford against The Citadel due to the Bulldogs desire to break up their recent 0-8 record. Head to head, Furman no doubt has an advantage due to history and location.

I disagree withthe turnover margin statement above. Wofford has consistently led or been near the top of the SoCon and all of FCS in that catagory for a number of years. Wofford's offensive structure protects the football and is designed to hang onto the football. We may not lead the conference next year, but I am certain we will be in the top 1/3 of the conference no matter how well or poorly things go.

Lastly, while yardage differential is a valuable stat, it does have some flaws. Wofford's offense is designed to get smaller consistent chunks of yardage as opposed to more pass oriented teams that rack up many more yards. While you can compare yards allowed more easily across the board since everyone's defense seeks to limit all yards, it's hard to compare a ball control running attack to a pass-oriented big-gain offense because one operates by shortening the game, the other by lengthening it.

As for Wofford 2007 season. We'll all know soon enough. By the end of September, you'll know whether Wofford is hype or reality. Four straight games against NC State, Appalachian, Furman and The Citadel will tell us that, especially since the only one at home is Appalachian. So, mark me down with the Terriers comfortably in the #3 spot with an option to move up. Either way, I still see no undefeated teams in the SoCon this year and a possible three way tie for the title among 6-1 teams.

OL FU
July 12th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Gentlemen:

This may be therapeutic for you, I don't know. It may be for the Purple bulletin board. Howsomeever, no Terrier fan I know believes the hype. I'll be happy if we get beyond what one Paladin sniper terms "the best 7-4 team in the country". I'm not saying we won't have a good team, but we're not assuming any coronation when we're third in succession!

Hey Terrierbob, We are just attempting to educate some of the pundits and posters that Wofford's rightful place is somewhere behind Furmanxnodx xsmiley_wix

OL FU
July 12th, 2007, 08:48 AM

I, along with many Wofford fans, consider the Terriers to be a #3 pick behind Appalachian and Furman. I think we may be on par with Furman, but until we beat them, I can not pick us above them.

I agree with most of the analysis above on how games may go. Wofford probably has an edge over Furman over GSU, Furman probably has one over Wofford against The Citadel due to the Bulldogs desire to break up their recent 0-8 record. Head to head, Furman no doubt has an advantage due to history and location.

I disagree withthe turnover margin statement above. Wofford has consistently led or been near the top of the SoCon and all of FCS in that catagory for a number of years. Wofford's offensive structure protects the football and is designed to hang onto the football. We may not lead the conference next year, but I am certain we will be in the top 1/3 of the conference no matter how well or poorly things go.

Lastly, while yardage differential is a valuable stat, it does have some flaws. Wofford's offense is designed to get smaller consistent chunks of yardage as opposed to more pass oriented teams that rack up many more yards. While you can compare yards allowed more easily across the board since everyone's defense seeks to limit all yards, it's hard to compare a ball control running attack to a pass-oriented big-gain offense because one operates by shortening the game, the other by lengthening it.

As for Wofford 2007 season. We'll all know soon enough. By the end of September, you'll know whether Wofford is hype or reality. Four straight games against NC State, Appalachian, Furman and The Citadel will tell us that, especially since the only one at home is Appalachian. So, mark me down with the Terriers comfortably in the #3 spot with an option to move up. Either way, I still see no undefeated teams in the SoCon this year and a possible three way tie for the title among 6-1 teams.

RE: Yardage, I remember a Rhode Island team back in the 80's that passed for like 700 yards against the Paladins and still lost by something like 50 pointsxnodx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 12th, 2007, 08:50 AM
As usual, I think this was an attempt to once again show the supposed intellectual superiority of Furman over App St.! xoopsx :D ;)

I have also not bought the hype on the Terriers yet. It seems like many of the cheerleaders for the Terriers are the Mountaineers fans who figure a team that can come that close to beating the best team since sliced bread must be top 10 in the country material. And yes, that one ridiculous poll had Wofford at #6, I think it was the USA Today poll maybe?

Anyway, until proven otherwise, I have to believe Furman is the better team. TO margin is so critical. Look what it does for teams like the Bears in the NFL with no offense. Much praise should go to the Wofford coaching staff for getting their men ready to make the big play. However, at some point, the magic runs out and the better teams rise to the top as Andrew suggests.

Best of luck to both teams, I root for the Purple out of habit! xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

Eyes of Old Main
July 12th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Hey Terrierbob, We are just attempting to educate some of the pundits and posters that Wofford's rightful place is somewhere behind Furmanxnodx xsmiley_wix

That's OK. We know you guys get your feelings hurt when you aren't out in front. The last thing Wofford wants to be held responsible for is an increase in psychiatric expenses for Paladin fans (at least at this point of the season).

OL FU
July 12th, 2007, 09:30 AM
That's OK. We know you guys get your feelings hurt when you aren't out in front. The last thing Wofford wants to be held responsible for is an increase in psychiatric expenses for Paladin fans (at least at this point of the season).

I thank you. My bank account thanks you. My ex's thank youxnodx

My head doctor is sending you the bill for her economic damages related to me cancelling my next sessionxsmiley_wix

Eyes of Old Main
July 12th, 2007, 10:49 AM
I thank you. My bank account thanks you. My ex's thank youxnodx

My head doctor is sending you the bill for her economic damages related to me cancelling my next sessionxsmiley_wix

LOL! That's fine, but I hope the Terriers can put one on the Paladins this year and maybe all the extra billing will help her get a new Mercedes or something.

Longrifle
July 12th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Well this is one Mountaineer fan that thinks we will have to duke it out with Furman for the conference championship.

A healthy Furman team has too many weapons and should beat Wofford.

I think that Wofford is better coached, but unless they develop a passing game they will have a tough time beating Furman and App.

With regards to last years App-Wofford game, Wofford caught us totally unfocused. We dropped two sure touchdown passes on separate drives, and Armanti fumbled the ball inside the 10 trying to pump fake a defender. We also went for it on several 4th downs when we could have kicked field goals because of the windy conditions. We should have scored 28 to 35 points. Luckily the defense was focused and pretty much shut the Terriers down. Give Wofford credit though, the longer the game went on with the score staying close, the tougher they got.

Black Saturday
July 12th, 2007, 12:44 PM

I don't follow Wofford or Furman closely, but you must think those two teams are going to be that much better than '06? I do follow APP closely and feel this will be the best ever APP football team on both sides of the ball. I just don't see APP dropping a conference game this year wherever it is played.

Mountaineer
July 12th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I don't follow Wofford or Furman closely, but you must think those two teams are going to be that much better than '06? I do follow APP closely and feel this will be the best ever APP football team on both sides of the ball. I just don't see APP dropping a conference game this year wherever it is played.

xrolleyesx

Need to work on expanding that SoCon world view. Appalachian is not the center of the conference, and it's a little premature to say this team will be the best ever without seeing a single snap.

furman94
July 12th, 2007, 12:58 PM
^^^ Yup

Death Dealer
July 12th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Well this is one Mountaineer fan that thinks we will have to duke it out with Furman for the conference championship.

A healthy Furman team has too many weapons and should beat Wofford.

I think that Wofford is better coached, but unless they develop a passing game they will have a tough time beating Furman and App.

With regards to last years App-Wofford game, Wofford caught us totally unfocused. We dropped two sure touchdown passes on separate drives, and Armanti fumbled the ball inside the 10 trying to pump fake a defender. We also went for it on several 4th downs when we could have kicked field goals because of the windy conditions. We should have scored 28 to 35 points. Luckily the defense was focused and pretty much shut the Terriers down. Give Wofford credit though, the longer the game went on with the score staying close, the tougher they got.Dude, you are my new best friend! Honestly, I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I saw the crAppy's dismantle just about everybody they played last year, and I know that we weren't healthy, but I am not going to get my hopes up too early. I'd rather be humble now and give you guys Shat later when we win,than crow too much now and have to eat a big old humble crow pie later.xnodx

GoldandBlack
July 12th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Lemme see if I've got this, now-

App State is great, but definitely too early to say invincible.

Wofford's #6 national rating really has no credibility with anyone on this board, realistically. It's gotta be earned the hard way.

Furman has the edge playing the Terriers at home, but it ain't an automatic win, which is why the game is played in the first place.

Both Citadel and GSU worry everyone this year. Even if they don't worry some people a lot, they worry them at least a little.

If football season doesn't get here soon, about 90% of the posters on this board are going to explode (or implode, your choice).

Did I miss anything?xpeacex

Black Saturday
July 12th, 2007, 01:15 PM
xrolleyesx

Need to work on expanding that SoCon world view. Appalachian is not the center of the conference, and it's a little premature to say this team will be the best ever without seeing a single snap.

We're not?....You must be a Paladin dressed up as Yosef.xeekx xsmiley_wix
Actually, I do avidly follow the rest of the FCS world. I do know that Montana State are THE GRIZ. ;)

Maybe premature on being the best without playing the season, but rememberxnodx you heard it from me first.

Mountaineer
July 12th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Actually, I do avidly follow the rest of the FCS world.

Maybe premature on being the best without playing the season, but rememberxnodx you heard it from me first.

Nope, just a dude who has no problems giving some props to other teams in the conference (except for Elon). xthumbsupx

It's somewhat mind-boggling amount of new App guys who find their way here and start off with..

"I don't really know much about.."
"I have no clue.."
"Other than App.."

You're (a general you're) at the largest FCS gathering spot on the web. 25,000+ threads, 500,000+ posts - it's extremely easy to hit the seach button, type in "Southern Conference", and acquire some knowledge. xnodx

This isn't personal against you Black Saturday. :p :D Just a peeve of mine. ;)

Death Dealer
July 12th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Lemme see if I've got this, now-

App State is great, but definitely too early to say invincible.

Wofford's #6 national rating really has no credibility with anyone on this board, realistically. It's gotta be earned the hard way.

Furman has the edge playing the Terriers at home, and it is an automatic win, so why is the game played in the first place?

Both Citadel and GSU worry everyone this year. Even if they don't worry some people a lot, they worry them at least a little.

If football season doesn't get here soon, about 90% of the posters on this board are going to explode (or implode, your choice).

Did I miss anything?xpeacex

Fixed it!xsmiley_wix xrolleyesx

GoldandBlack
July 12th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Fixed it!xsmiley_wix xrolleyesx

And how could ANYONE consider Furman fans to be arrogant?? xsmiley_wix

OL FU
July 12th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Nope, just a dude who has no problems giving some props to other teams in the conference (except for Elon). xthumbsupx

It's somewhat mind-boggling amount of new App guys who find their way here and start off with..

"I have no clue.."
"Other than App.."

You're (a general you're) at the largest FCS gathering spot on the web. 25,000+ threads, 500,000+ posts - it's extremely easy to hit the seach button, type in "Southern Conference", and acquire some knowledge. xnodx

What is really interesting is that Andrew pretty much gave the conference to ASU inthe first post. Personally, I think he was just being nice but maybe Black Saturday was just reinforcing the ideaxsmiley_wix

Black Saturday
July 12th, 2007, 01:29 PM

"I have no clue.."
"Other than App.."

Looks by your moniker you arrived at AGS maybe 5 months before me, you just post alot more. I'm not trying to pal up with the enemy, I just call it like I see it. Just put me on ignore.xoopsx

james_lawfirm
July 12th, 2007, 02:23 PM
OK, I will take the contrarian approach. I think Wofford will be better than Furman this year. ASU has both Wofford & Furman away, so any championship season must go through South Carolina. I think the home field advantage may be significant, and I think both games will be great football games.

Posters on this thread seem to attribute Wofford's success in Boone last year to a lack of focus or bad luck on ASU's part. I was at both Wofford game and the Furman game last year. And I admit I ranked Wofford higher because of what I saw. Simply put, Wofford's game strategy of ball control is what works against a team like ASU. Keep the Offense off the field. Furman's strategy, which appeared to be based on their injured fullback, was not working. Now, if Wofford falls behind, they won't be able to catch back up. But, if they are still in the game in the 4th quarter, then watch out.

Anyway, I hope I can make it to both the Furman and Wofford games this year. I think they will be great football games played by well coached teams.

seantaylor
July 12th, 2007, 03:22 PM
I think Wofford will be better than Furman. Furman did not impress me at all last year. If GSU had a non-comatose coach calling plays we would have beat Furman easily at their place. We still almost did calling a QB draw every play.

Death Dealer
July 12th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I think Wofford will be better than Furman. Furman did not impress me at all last year. If GSU had a non-comatose coach calling plays we would have beat Furman easily at their place. We still almost did calling a QB draw every play.
The scorecard still has a big L next to GSU for that game.xrulesx

OL FU
July 12th, 2007, 03:39 PM

Furman didn't impress me in that game either, (not criticizing my coach cuz I think generally he is a good one) but I thought Lamb coached that one not to lose and he almost did. Our offense was so average at the end of the year, I think he played even more conservative than normal especially when he thought he could get away with it. And he got away with it against GSUxnodx

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 12th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Even if App loses one game, what are the odds any of the other teams will make it through the season with only 1 loss? ASU is a safe bet to win the Socon, and probably is the safest bet on the conference champ in any FCS conference.

Also, one thing App has going for them (and this might sound a little strange, but it's true IMO) is the Michigan game. Edwards and Richardson will force Michigan to focus and play hard if they want to win by more than a couple of touchdowns. A decent performance against a big name like UM can be a real morale booster. In '04 GSU had Georgia fans pulling their hair out for the entire first half, and even though we lost by 20 points, we still showed UGA that we weren't to be taken lightly. We went on to a 9-2 season, even though our team that year wasn't that great. You can't overlook intangibles like morale in football.

james_lawfirm
July 12th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Even if App loses one game, what are the odds any of the other teams will make it through the season with only 1 loss? ASU is a safe bet to win the Socon, and probably is the safest bet on the conference champ in any FCS conference.

Also, one thing App has going for them (and this might sound a little strange, but it's true IMO) is the Michigan game. Edwards and Richardson will force Michigan to focus and play hard if they want to win by more than a couple of touchdowns. A decent performance against a big name like UM can be a real morale booster. In '04 GSU had Georgia fans pulling their hair out for the entire first half, and even though we lost by 20 points, we still showed UGA that we weren't to be taken lightly. We went on to a 9-2 season, even though our team that year wasn't that great. You can't overlook intangibles like morale in football.

You sir, are a genius. And not just because you agree with me.

BigApp
July 12th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Hey Terrierbob, We are just attempting to educate some of the pundits and posters that Wofford's rightful place is somewhere behind Furman xnodx xsmiley_wix

don't ask, don't tell...xcoolx

Eyes of Old Main
July 12th, 2007, 10:45 PM

Let the record reflect that that comment came from the Furman side of this debate. Then again, those guys just look FABULOUS in purple.

BigApp
July 12th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Let the record reflect that that comment came from the Furman side of this debate. Then again, those guys just look FABULOUS in purple.

xlmaoxxlmaox
xlmaoxxlmaox
xlmaoxxlmaox

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

AndrewFU21
July 12th, 2007, 11:41 PM

You make some good points, and you are right that Wofford's offensive style makes them a different animal when it comes to statistics. I tried to look up stats from previous years, but Wofford doesn't keep an archive on their website.

Looking at things, I believe that Furman can beat Appalachian in Greenville, but I am less confident in our ability to beat them over an 7 game conference schedule. We have a number of tough games like Wofford, @GSU, @Cid, and I just have a hard time seeing App lose more than one game. The realistic best case scenario would be a tie at 6-1, with a head to head victory and the AQ. To me it all depends on FU being able to play like it did in early-mid season last year, before the injuries set in. If we play the way we did against Chapel Hill-WCU-Wofford stretch of last season, we could very well compete with Appalachian.

I think the SoCon's prospects for getting 3 teams into the postseason looks quite good. ASU will be there, and Furman has the talent to be there for sure. Then you have Wofford, who has a favorable OOC slate and should go 3-1 with a loss to NCSU. From there, they have a reasonable shot at going 5-2 in SoCon play and that would likely get them in. Of course, with the overall strength of the league supposedly on the rise, teams like GSU and Citadel may play spoiler and create a logjam in the upper half of the standings.

youwouldno
July 13th, 2007, 01:14 AM
I have a lot of respect for Wofford, but Furman has a higher ceiling because of superior talent and a more varied offense.

Whether the Paladins will play to their potential is obviously unknowable. I do think that the main problem at the end of last season-- the offense-- is not likely to remain a problem. Furman will probably have one of the best O-lines in the FCS and has an unreal amount of talent at RB (tailback and fullback). The question is the passing game... if that clicks, the Paladins will have an extremely potent offense.

Wofford relies too heavily on scheme to be considered a top 10 team/preseason #2 in the SoCon, in my opinion.

Eagle22
July 13th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Actually, I do avidly follow the rest of the FCS world. I do know that Montana State are THE GRIZ. ;)

Avid, you say ? :D xlolx xwhistlex

phillyAPP
July 13th, 2007, 08:33 AM

I remember that game against UGA, it scared the $h it out of UGA. Its amazing what it does for the mentality of GSU's and APP's players after playing the BIG schools and competing well. The pay day is just the first part of the experience.

I can't believe I am agreeing with GSU fan but I have sometimes agreed with a GIANTS fan. I think working with a GSU football alum has tained me. I will keep an arms distance from him in the future.xoopsx

blueballs
July 13th, 2007, 09:42 AM
I remember that game against UGA, it scared the $h it out of UGA. Its amazing what it does for the mentality of GSU's and APP's players after playing the BIG schools and competing well. The pay day is just the first part of the experience.

I can't believe I am agreeing with GSU fan but I have sometimes agreed with a GIANTS fan. I think working with a GSU football alum has tained me. I will keep an arms distance from him in the future.xoopsx

I believe App's strong showing against LSU in 2005 did the same thing for their team that year.

Eyes of Old Main
July 13th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I believe App's strong showing against LSU in 2005 did the same thing for their team that year.

I would agree. I feel like Wofford's team started coming together last year after our near miss against South Carolina.

We'll see if it pays dividends against NC State this year who isn't as good as South Carolina was last year and Wofford should be better. Too bad state got rid of that buffoon Amato, I'd like our chances more against him than Tom O'Brien.

LarryBoy
July 13th, 2007, 12:52 PM
To throw my two cents in...

Furman could have been outstanding last year, but the wheels came off in disastrous fashion. Yes, I know, injuries, blah, blah, blah, but there is a teensy bit of merit in considering that as a factor in Furman's downward spiral. Furman's offense was completely healthy for all of three games last year. That three-game stretch was:

45-42 loss at North Carolina: 521 yards of offense
42-7 win over Western: Starters sit at halftime
35-21 victory at Wofford: Have we forgotten this one?

Then we're on our way to an admittedly hard-fought win over Coastal, and Gray goes down in the 2nd quarter. Then Felton goes down against Chattanooga. Then Gibson goes gimpy. We'll go ahead and throw in receiver Adam Mims (fastest guy on team), who broke his leg at UNC. I'm not making excuses--I don't think Furman could have been the team to beat either way--but it was a tale of two seasons.

Wofford's year was a tale of two seasons as well: one season against good opponents, one season against not-so-good opponents. Wofford started out the year 2-4, with losses to Coastal, USC, Furman, and App (three playoff teams and a BS). They then finished with a "hot streak"...victories over Elon, Western, Chattanooga, GSU, and mighty Gardner-Webb. I'm not discounting those five wins, but that schedule definitely would help a 2-4 team get into a groove.

I respect Wofford a lot, trust me. Ayers is a great coach, and their program should be admired above the vast majority of the FCS. I fully expect them to compete for a playoff spot next year, but based on their program's history, and not on some miraculous finish last year that made the pollsters go ga-ga.

Unfortunately for the Terriers, they've only beaten Furman twice in the last gazillion years ('98, '03). Until they change that (and I believe they will one of these days...just not yet), I'll only consider them to be a near-SoCon power.

james_lawfirm
July 13th, 2007, 07:48 PM

Now that's humor. I just know it.

james_lawfirm
July 13th, 2007, 07:49 PM

Oh, Whee!