PDA

View Full Version : SI Mailbag: ASU-Michigan Matchup

chantster
July 11th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Fan asking SI about ASU-Mich game at the Big House:

Any chance of an upset in the Appalachian State-Michigan game Sept. 1 at the Big House? The Mountaineers have an explosive offense and are just plain fun to watch.
--Kevin Weis, Tryon, N.C.

I never say never to anything in college football -- but this one comes pretty close. Yes, it's a rare and somewhat intriguing scenario for a big-name, top-10 team to be opening its season against the defending I-AA (yes, I still use that designation) national champion. And yes, we've seen no shortage of I-AA over I-A upsets in recent years. But it's one thing for an upper-echelon I-AA team to knock off a bad I-A team (like New Hampshire over Northwestern or Montana State over Colorado), but when you're talking about a team like Michigan, the disparity in size and depth is just way too much. The most realistic scenario is that the Mountaineers could hang with the Wolverines for about a half, but eventually all that Mike Hart pounding would wear them down.

slycat
July 11th, 2007, 02:25 PM
man i would love to see that upset just to see the meltdown SI and ESPN would have. i know its wishful thinking but thats the best kind.

Retro
July 11th, 2007, 02:26 PM
At least he gave an honest answer back and not like some writers who usually say "no chance".

Apps03
July 11th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Seems fair to me - I don't think anyone could intelligently argue otherwise. Personally as a fan of all things college football, I'm looking forward to enjoying my trip to one of the most historic venues in the game to cheer on my alma mater.

BeauFoster
July 11th, 2007, 02:31 PM
That was an incredibly fair and honest answer. Rare in mainstream media today.

Lionsrking
July 11th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Yes, it's a rare and somewhat intriguing scenario for a big-name, top-10 team to be opening its season against the defending I-AA (yes, I still use that designation) national champion.

You should e-mail him back and ask him if he still calls the Raiders the "Los Angeles Raiders" or the Dodgers the "Brooklyn Dodgers." Or does he still call Minute Maid Park, "Enron Field."

GannonFan
July 11th, 2007, 02:54 PM
You should e-mail him back and ask him if he still calls the Raiders the "Los Angeles Raiders" or the Dodgers the "Brooklyn Dodgers." Or does he still call Minute Maid Park, "Enron Field."

Well, the I-AA to FCS switch just happened this past December, so it's a bit more recent than those examples. Face it, most people barely know the I-AA designation - expecting everyone to pick up on the FCS reference right away is just silly. If having to ocassionally use I-AA to get your point across works then so be it.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 11th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Well, the I-AA to FCS switch just happened this past December, so it's a bit more recent than those examples. Face it, most people barely know the I-AA designation - expecting everyone to pick up on the FCS reference right away is just silly. If having to ocassionally use I-AA to get your point across works then so be it.

Mr. Mandel, though, made a conscious effort to avoid using it. I don't think you can't say he doesn't know about the renaming of I-AA to FCS.

I'm not ripping the guy a new one for using I-AA instead of FCS, but maybe if he had at least mentioned FCS instead of I-AA that would ahve been different. I think comparing it to calling the Astros' home "Enron Field" is apt.

NDSUFREAK
July 11th, 2007, 03:07 PM
If App State could win against Michigan that would not only bring up FBS possibilities for them but would give us total more respect! GO MOUNTAINEERS........against Michigan :p

chrisattsu
July 11th, 2007, 03:13 PM
So if you are the HC of Appy, do you hang this up in the locker room?

SuperJon
July 11th, 2007, 03:14 PM
No.

igo4uni
July 11th, 2007, 03:30 PM
If App State could win against Michigan that would not only bring up FBS possibilities for them but would give us total more respect! GO MOUNTAINEERS........against Michigan :p

Yes!!

already123
July 11th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I agree, i dont think anyone can logically refute that arguement. We have a National power vs. a power at a lower level...what would we be saying to GVSU playing a team like McNeese, Portland St, UNI ?.....blowout

I believe that thought I am excited to watch the game (along with everyone else involved with FCS play) we all know what the outcome will be...
Best of luck either way

furman94
July 11th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Hey superjon, Life of a LUnatic is AWESOME! Great work!

SuperJon
July 11th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Thanks. Hopefully we'll get some full-time readers this fall.

furman94
July 11th, 2007, 04:20 PM
SuperJon,
I'll be reading this fall. Good Luck with everything!

james_lawfirm
July 11th, 2007, 04:29 PM

The only FBS possibilities after an ASU win at Mich. I want to hear about are what FBS team can we play next year. Those in positions of authority at ASU understand that ASU football does not belong in FBS. I would rather be a big fish in a small pond that a ex-FCS team in the FBS.

putter
July 11th, 2007, 04:48 PM
That was one of the most straightforward, non-smack, answers I have heard regarding and FBS - FCS matchups. Depth is the biggest detriment that we have playing up. As one of our linebackers said after playing Iowa, "you can only take 300 pounds beating on you every play before it wears you down."

mcveyrl
July 11th, 2007, 04:50 PM
The only FBS possibilities after an ASU win at Mich. I want to hear about are what FBS team can we play next year. Those in positions of authority at ASU understand that ASU football does not belong in FBS. I would rather be a big fish in a small pond that a ex-FCS team in the FBS.

I've got a feeling that if that happens, the only way you're scheduling FBS opponents is by moving there.

james_lawfirm
July 11th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I've got a feeling that if that happens, the only way you're scheduling FBS opponents is by moving there.

Maybe. But, I think we've got some scheduled through '11 already.

You don't reckon they be skeered?

JohnStOnge
July 11th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I agree, i dont think anyone can logically refute that arguement. We have a National power vs. a power at a lower level...what would we be saying to GVSU playing a team like McNeese, Portland St, UNI ?.....blowout

Gotta quibble a little bit in that I think there's a lot less difference between top D-II teams and top FCS teams than there is between top FCS teams and top FBS teams.

No I-AA (now FCS) has ever beaten a top 25 I-A. Top D-IIs beating top I-AAs is not uncommon. For example, in 2003, D-II Valdosta State crushed I-AA semifinalist Florida Atlantic 45-17. The difference between Northern Iowa making and not making the playoffs last year may have been a home loss to D-II North Dakota. And Montana State lost by 11 to D-II Chadron State a week after upsetting Colorado last season.

As far as Grand Valley State goes...I think the Lakers have had teams (including last year's) that would have been very competetive in the I-AA playoffs and had at least a shot at winning it all.

Grizalltheway
July 11th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Gotta quibble a little bit in that I think there's a lot less difference between top D-II teams and top FCS teams than there is between top FCS teams and top FBS teams.

No I-AA (now FCS) has ever beaten a top 25 I-A. Top D-IIs beating top I-AAs is not uncommon. For example, in 2003, D-II Valdosta State crushed I-AA semifinalist Florida Atlantic 45-17. The difference between Northern Iowa making and not making the playoffs last year may have been a home loss to D-II North Dakota. And Montana State lost by 11 to D-II Chadron State a week after upsetting Colorado last season.

As far as Grand Valley State goes...I think the Lakers have had teams (including last year's) that would have been very competetive in the I-AA playoffs and had at least a shot at winning it all.

*cough* Chadron State *cough cough* :D xrotatehx

SO ILLmatic
July 11th, 2007, 08:01 PM
*cough* Chadron State *cough cough* :D xrotatehx

Danny Woodhead = stud

KAUMASS
July 11th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Nice press. I think he is on regarding the depth, but not size. Why do these writers always think there is a size difference between FBS/FCS? Somebody should email this guy the starting lineups regarding size. App. State probably has seen bigger somewhere the last few years. Faster, maybe a slight edge overall, but Michigan will not expect App. State to be as fast as they are. Michigan is in for a game. If App State special teams play like I saw against UMass in Chatty, well, AGS. I don't think App. players will be intimidated at all. Prediction-close game into the 4th quarter. Michigan's depth pulls away at the end, wins by 10-14 pts. I hope I'm wrong and App pulls it out.

YoUDeeMan
July 11th, 2007, 09:34 PM

Excellent points! xthumbsupx

Sir William
July 11th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Hey superjon, Life of a LUnatic is AWESOME! Great work!

SuperJon, very nice work. Love the site. And nice to put a face with a screen name.

xthumbsupx

phillyAPP
July 12th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Nice press. I think he is on regarding the depth, but not size. Why do these writers always think there is a size difference between FBS/FCS? Somebody should email this guy the starting lineups regarding size. App. State probably has seen bigger somewhere the last few years. Faster, maybe a slight edge overall, but Michigan will not expect App. State to be as fast as they are. Michigan is in for a game. If App State special teams play like I saw against UMass in Chatty, well, AGS. I don't think App. players will be intimidated at all. Prediction-close game into the 4th quarter. Michigan's depth pulls away at the end, wins by 10-14 pts. I hope I'm wrong and App pulls it out.

Thanks for your optimism, and i agree about size and speed being closer,BUT APP will be the happiest team in FCS if they play as well as you think they will. I believe the players will play their hearts out. I biggest concern is the coaching staff and whether they give the players enough to win or compete with. I think the score will be within 24pts.
The best part will be tailgating in the golf course,walking into the stadium,and listening to the silence in the first quarter when Michigan fans realize APP is not a walkover team. It may take me 3-4 days to recover physically from this AGS.

xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx

asu3peat
July 12th, 2007, 07:56 AM
So if you are the HC of Appy, do you hang this up in the locker room?

You can put that on the bulletin board, but I would go over to there UM message board and print off some of their fan's thoughts on how this game is a complete waste of time, effort and money. And what a blowout it will be and that ASU doesn't even belong on the same field because we are FCS, instead of some lower tiered MAC squad. Absolutely no respect from their fans whatsoever. Hopefully we can earn that respect come Sept. 1st.

The Moody1
July 12th, 2007, 09:02 AM

The problem is that the small pond you are referring to is becoming smaller and smaller each year. Schools like ASU and a few others have outgrown what FCS has become and need to make a jump before every other small time DII program jumps up to FCS.

GoGuins
July 12th, 2007, 09:41 AM
You can put that on the bulletin board, but I would go over to there UM message board and print off some of their fan's thoughts on how this game is a complete waste of time, effort and money. And what a blowout it will be and that ASU doesn't even belong on the same field because we are FCS, instead of some lower tiered MAC squad. Absolutely no respect from their fans whatsoever. Hopefully we can earn that respect come Sept. 1st.

Which UM boards?

Go over to umgoblue.com, most fans over there have been hospitable and have accepted the game. Most realize it's all about the $$$

The Michigan Rivals site even ranked ASU's RB's as 9th best on their schedule

andy7171
July 12th, 2007, 09:42 AM
That writers response to the question could be the best and most fair minded answer regarding FBC vs FCS match ups I have ever read. At least someone out there in the SI/ESPN/SN media gets it.

GoGuins
July 12th, 2007, 09:55 AM

I remember ASU's O-line averaged 6'-2 277 for the YSU game in '06 and Michigan's O-line averages 6'5 1/2 315. That's not a size difference? You're talking 4 & 5 star recruits against 2 & 3 star

I've talked to a Michigan player (he's from my hometown) and he said Michigan is well aware of ASU and they are not taking them lightly.

I see Michigan wanting to end the game early and not give ASU any reason to gain momentum. I see it 21-0 after the 1st qtr.

phillyAPP
July 12th, 2007, 10:38 AM
I remember ASU's O-line averaged 6'-2 277 for the YSU game in '06 and Michigan's O-line averages 6'5 1/2 315. That's not a size difference? You're talking 4 & 5 star recruits against 2 & 3 star

I've talked to a Michigan player (he's from my hometown) and he said Michigan is well aware of ASU and they are not taking them lightly.

I see Michigan wanting to end the game early and not give ASU any reason to gain momentum. I see it 21-0 after the 1st qtr.

I like the idea that Micigan is taking APP seriously and will try to put APP behind early. First of all, it makes the first 2 quarters a real fight and gauge of how competitive APP is as a football team. And second SOMETIMES this can cause mistakes that APP will NEED to hang in the game.

I can't wait 50 days till we go to the BIG HOUSE. GO APP - GIVE"EM HELL

asu3peat
July 12th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Which UM boards?

Go over to umgoblue.com, most fans over there have been hospitable and have accepted the game. Most realize it's all about the $$$

The Michigan Rivals site even ranked ASU's RB's as 9th best on their schedule

I've read some respectable threads, but when this game was first announced they were up in arms (which I don't blame them). I saw a prediction thread saying Henne throws for 5 TD, Hart gains 200yds and 3 TD and Manningham hauls in 2 TD grabs and 100+ yds with the score being like 73-0 and some other ungodly scores. To me, it almost seemed like elitist rhetoric as if we don't even belong on the same field and that the UM admin should be ashamed of themselves for scheduling a "D-II" team. And yes we all know it's about the money, that's pretty apparent with 8 home games on their schedule. Anyways, if I were the coaches I would use any/all materials necessary for the bulletin board. Although I find it hard to believe that ANY FCS team would have trouble getting up for this game!!!

CharlestonAppFan
July 12th, 2007, 10:52 AM

Not smacking but I remember that YSU's line averaged much taller and heavier than App's also, but we all know what happened in that game. I also remember the smack that a lot of you YSU fans talked about with this difference and how it would be very hard for App to compete with your O Line because of this size advantage and how much less difficult it would be to stop ours.

I can't remember which poster said this but it went something to the effect of "it's very hard to run through a tree, so we just run around it". I'm not saying anything about Michigan's OL compared to ours, just making a statement. I'm sure their OL will be as quick as ours because of their "4 and 5 star" athletes compared to our "2 and 3 star" athletes.

GoGuins
July 12th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Not smacking but I remember that YSU's line averaged much taller and heavier than App's also, but we all know what happened in that game. I also remember the smack that a lot of you YSU fans talked about with this difference and how it would be very hard for App to compete with your O Line because of this size advantage and how much less difficult it would be to stop ours.

I can't remember which poster said this but it went something to the effect of "it's very hard to run through a tree, so we just run around it". I'm not saying anything about Michigan's OL compared to ours, just making a statement. I'm sure their OL will be as quick as ours because of their "4 and 5 star" athletes compared to our "2 and 3 star" athletes.

Fair enough, I will not argue ASU's smaller, faster line ran circles around YSU's larger, slower line

MPLSGRIZZLY
July 12th, 2007, 11:16 AM

I believe that thought I am excited to watch the game (along with everyone else involved with FCS play) we all know what the outcome will be...
Best of luck either way

Grand Valley would probably beat all three of those teams. They are a notch above every team in D2. I think the gap between D2 and FCS is less than the gap between FBS and FCS. Just look at what North Dakota did to UNI last year.

phillyAPP
July 12th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Grand Valley would probably beat all three of those teams. They are a notch above every team in D2. I think the gap between D2 and FCS is less than the gap between FBS and FCS. Just look at what North Dakota did to UNI last year.

The elite in D-II and D-III do have competitive teams because they have FCS quality players throughout their team. I have a friend who was rushing champ at Mount Union,OH who said many of his linemen started at Ohio State( bench) and transferred to play,win, and have fun.

College Football is great at ALL levels, Thats why we call it AGS.xsmiley_wix

andy7171
July 12th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Something very suspicious about this post. Eerily familiar. xeyebrowx

DuckDuckGriz
July 12th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Man I want the Mountaineers to pull this one off....

I will be IN THE BIG HOUSE one week later hoping my Ducks do the same thing (its a long shot)

Making fun of them for losing to a lowly "FCS team" would be the ultimate fun in smack at the bars in Ann Arbor.

GoGuins
July 12th, 2007, 12:17 PM

I will be IN THE BIG HOUSE one week later hoping my Ducks do the same thing (its a long shot)

Making fun of them for losing to a lowly "FCS team" would be the ultimate fun in smack at the bars in Ann Arbor.

Actually, Oregon worries me. I'll be at the game as well

OB55
July 12th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Something very suspicious about this post. Eerily familiar. xeyebrowx

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

DuckDuckGriz
July 12th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Actually, Oregon worries me. I'll be at the game as well

Well if the Ducks continue to do what they did near the end of last season (no proven QB, fickle spread offense, shotty secondary) you will have nothing to worry about. Granted UO beat Mich a few years back but Autzen and the Big House are two very different places. If Jonathan Stewart and the O-line can control the ball a bit, and if our D-line can keep up for 4 quarters, we might make it a game.

Guins I'm going to guess you've been to Ann Arbor before.

Do you reccomend any places to go before/after the game? Someone was telling us The Arena Sports Bar. We are staying with a buddy of mine who lives in Shelby Township (just outside of Detroit) so we'll be making the drive up early that morning.

This will be my first time in a Big Ten stadium. Any advice? :D

EDIT: Sorry Mods, maybe I should start a new thread in Other SPorts.

proasu89
July 12th, 2007, 09:09 PM

Hey, we resemble that remark:p xlolx

Mich Griz
July 12th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I hope the Mountaineers can pull if off in A squared. (Ann Arbor) Then Llyod Carr can start his new job....."Welcome to Sam's Club....do you need a cart?"
Then maybe Michigan can get a coach that matches the talent they recruit. Carr couldn't count his balls and come up with the same number twice. The DC English is a great young coach.xpeacex

GGASU
July 12th, 2007, 11:01 PM
I see it 21-0 after the 1st qtr.

Wow...I agree that ASU will jump on the Wolverines early, but even I can't see the Mountaineers up by 21 after the 1st. xthumbsupx

KAUMASS
July 13th, 2007, 06:47 AM

You are selling yourself short on FCS my friend. The majority of players on UMass and App States or any top FCS 15 team would be able to start at Michigan. Whether they are a 2, 3, 4, 5, or 10 star chip recruit means nothing. We had blue chip recruits and blue chip transfers from FBS at UMass on scholarship that did not play.
My point on the size is that if you take all of the major conferences of FCS and compared the sizes with FBS, there would not be a major difference. If you would like to get picky, UMass avg. 6'4" 300 at the start of last year.
Heck, when I played against UMaine in the late 80's they avg. 6'5" 295 with a 6'7" 275 TE.
Lafayatte OL avg was about 6'4" 290 this year when they came to Amherst for the 1st round playoffs.

Most writers and people do not understand that the difference is all depth. If you gave UMass or App St another 23 scholies with the talent level they had last year, they would be contending for a FBS National Title.

To further validate my point, New Hampshire kicked the crap out of Northwestern last year and Northwestern held their own against Michigan.
So what's it all mean? AGS.

I can't wait for the App-Michigan game. It will be a good game.

GannonFan
July 13th, 2007, 08:37 AM
You are selling yourself short on FCS my friend. The majority of players on UMass and App States or any top FCS 15 team would be able to start at Michigan. Whether they are a 2, 3, 4, 5, or 10 star chip recruit means nothing. We had blue chip recruits and blue chip transfers from FBS at UMass on scholarship that did not play.
My point on the size is that if you take all of the major conferences of FCS and compared the sizes with FBS, there would not be a major difference. If you would like to get picky, UMass avg. 6'4" 300 at the start of last year.
Heck, when I played against UMaine in the late 80's they avg. 6'5" 295 with a 6'7" 275 TE.
Lafayatte OL avg was about 6'4" 290 this year when they came to Amherst for the 1st round playoffs.

Most writers and people do not understand that the difference is all depth. If you gave UMass or App St another 23 scholies with the talent level they had last year, they would be contending for a FBS National Title.

To further validate my point, New Hampshire kicked the crap out of Northwestern last year and Northwestern held their own against Michigan.

You can't be serious but I didin't see a smilie at the end winking. The "The majority of players on UMass and App States or any top FCS 15 team would be able to start at Michigan."? Wow, that's just ludicrous. UD's 2003 team was one of the best I-AA teams ever, and I'd be hard pressed to say that any more than 4 guys (Hall, Johnson, Adams, Haugabrook) on the starting 22 could start on a top 10 FBS team, and only Johnson would be the only sure thing. I know we like to boast about our brand of football, but there's a difference between bravado and sheer lunacy - I think you've crossed the line. xpeacex

FCS Go!
July 13th, 2007, 08:47 AM

I think you're really underestimating the importance of speed and skill/technique. The top-tier FCS teams may have the same size as FBS schools but the speed and the talent-skills-technique is not at the same level. Depth is really important as well but there is a reason that more FBS players make pro rosters- they have the skills and the speed.

UNHFan99
July 13th, 2007, 09:01 AM
The biggest issue is going to be the refs. I believe App State can defintelly go up early, but the Big 10 officials are going to do everything in their power to let michigan win. UNH only got about 3 calls in their favor all game last year against Northwestern and one was a PI that Dave Ball already had the catch for a TD on. Thats why UNH ran the ball the second half because their recievers were being thrown around. The biggest thing is the refs because they dont want their beloved Big Ten to lose either. Be prepared for alot of phantom holding calls and stuff like that. Another advantage UNH had was the no huddle because the game wasnt on TV and Northwestern is used to having alot of TV timeouts. UNH was in way better shape that Northwestern. Hopefully App State can find some small detail like no tv timeouts to give themselves a mental edge like UNH did. If the refs are honest and App State shows up I think its a realistic upset and what the mainstream media would call the upset of the century.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 13th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Best of luck either way

That wasn't the case in UND versus UNI.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 13th, 2007, 09:15 AM
At least this guy...

1. Is aware of the two-tier subclassification for division I

and

2. has followed the FCS versus FBS matchups and knows what the skill gap really is, unlike a lot of pundits who think teams like ASU are "division 2".

These UM fans that think they are going to win by 30+ are most likely going to be disappointed...same thing with UM fans that think they will hold ASU to under 20 points...Edwards and Richardson are two players with hearts of steel who will not be intimidated. App's defense probably isn't what it was last year, but they'll play hard, too.

AppFan61
July 13th, 2007, 09:16 AM
I think you're really underestimating the importance of speed and skill/technique. The top-tier FCS teams may have the same size as FBS schools but the speed and the talent-skills-technique is not at the same level. Depth is really important as well but there is a reason that more FBS players make pro rosters- they have the skills and the speed.

I'll disagree with you on this. The FCS is full of athletes that are on par (speed, technique, and skill) with FBS athletes. The difference, the only difference, is size and height in the recruiting process.

As far as the depth issue - translates to practice squads, and fresh legs in games. This is where FBS has the advantage.

FCS Go!
July 13th, 2007, 09:33 AM
I'll disagree with you on this. The FCS is full of athletes that are on par (speed, technique, and skill) with FBS athletes. The difference, the only difference, is size and height in the recruiting process.

As far as the depth issue - translates to practice squads, and fresh legs in games. This is where FBS has the advantage.

A few years ago I sat down with a Montana roster and a Virginia Tech roster and compared players height/weight- they were virtually identical. IIRC Montana's recievers, TEs and RBs were actually bigger! Maybe that wouldn't be the case with all teams. Maybe Michigan players are much larger than Virginia Tech players. From what I've seen/read (rosters), there isn't a lot of difference in size between top tier FCS teams and FBS teams.

I agree that depth is really important. We've all seen FCS teams hang on until the 3rd quarter and then collapse against FBS teams. I just think that if you take your average 6'3" wideout from FCS and compare them to a 6'3" FBS wideout you're going to see a big difference in speed and tech/skill.xtwocentsx

phillyAPP
July 13th, 2007, 01:15 PM
The biggest issue is going to be the refs. I believe App State can defintelly go up early, but the Big 10 officials are going to do everything in their power to let michigan win. UNH only got about 3 calls in their favor all game last year against Northwestern and one was a PI that Dave Ball already had the catch for a TD on. Thats why UNH ran the ball the second half because their recievers were being thrown around. The biggest thing is the refs because they dont want their beloved Big Ten to lose either. Be prepared for alot of phantom holding calls and stuff like that. Another advantage UNH had was the no huddle because the game wasnt on TV and Northwestern is used to having alot of TV timeouts. UNH was in way better shape that Northwestern. Hopefully App State can find some small detail like no tv timeouts to give themselves a mental edge like UNH did. If the refs are honest and App State shows up I think its a realistic upset and what the mainstream media would call the upset of the century.

I hope your right. And your statements are too kind, if not what some might call, crazy.

LarryBoy
July 13th, 2007, 01:35 PM
I say kudos to that guy for giving a level-headed, non-biased response. This isn't lockerroom material. To say that an FCS team could hang with Michigan for a half is more respect than 99% of the media gives us.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 13th, 2007, 02:34 PM
I'm no betting man, but if the odds makers don't do their homework and give a spread of +40 or +50 to Michigan, I'll be all over that!

Still, it will take no less than a miracle to pull off the upset. But if any team can do it, it's probably App St.

I think Michigan will get winded (due to sheer surprise, not lack of fitness level) trying to catch Armanti Edwards. They'll get him for some big losses in busted plays, but he'll probably get into the secondary a few times as well. Should be fun to watch!

NE MT GRIZZ
July 13th, 2007, 03:54 PM
I'm no betting man, but if the odds makers don't do their homework and give a spread of +40 or +50 to Michigan, I'll be all over that!
!

Do the odds makers do odds for FCS teams?
I've never seen it in the newspaper.

KAUMASS
July 13th, 2007, 07:37 PM
You can't be serious but I didin't see a smilie at the end winking. The "The majority of players on UMass and App States or any top FCS 15 team would be able to start at Michigan."? Wow, that's just ludicrous. UD's 2003 team was one of the best I-AA teams ever, and I'd be hard pressed to say that any more than 4 guys (Hall, Johnson, Adams, Haugabrook) on the starting 22 could start on a top 10 FBS team, and only Johnson would be the only sure thing. I know we like to boast about our brand of football, but there's a difference between bravado and sheer lunacy - I think you've crossed the line. xpeacex

"Surely you can't be serious, KAUMASS." "I am serious, and please stop calling me Shirley" Did you look at the power rankings for all of Division 1 last year? App ST, UMass were all way ahead of Northwestern. App St was #53, UMass #59, Montana #70, Northwestern #93. This is out of 241 FBS/FCS teams.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt06.htm

Northwestern gave Michigan a decent game. We carry 23 less scholies. I respect your opinion Gannonfan, but the majority of UD's starters in 2003could have started at Michigan any given year. I don't think that of last years UD team, probably a couple including Mr. Patrick. Remember, I stated top 15 FCS schools on any given year. It is all depth. I think if you ask anyone who played FCS and was able to play against a FBS team they would agree with me.

BTY-I had the pleasure of playing against Mr. Gannon in 1986 as a rookie . As I recall, their starting TE was 6'5" 255. I had a couple of blindside kill shot sack opportunities on Mr.Gannon, but he ducked an ran his 4.3 speed twinkle toes downfield.

james_lawfirm
July 13th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Do the odds makers do odds for FCS teams?
I've never seen it in the newspaper.

Yep. Those Las Vegas fellers will put out the odds on anything.

phillyAPP
July 14th, 2007, 10:27 AM
"Surely you can't be serious, KAUMASS." "I am serious, and please stop calling me Shirley" Did you look at the power rankings for all of Division 1 last year? App ST, UMass were all way ahead of Northwestern. App St was #53, UMass #59, Montana #70, Northwestern #93. This is out of 241 FBS/FCS teams.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt06.htm

Northwestern gave Michigan a decent game. We carry 23 less scholies. I respect your opinion Gannonfan, but the majority of UD's starters in 2003could have started at Michigan any given year. I don't think that of last years UD team, probably a couple including Mr. Patrick. Remember, I stated top 15 FCS schools on any given year. It is all depth. I think if you ask anyone who played FCS and was able to play against a FBS team they would agree with me.

BTY-I had the pleasure of playing against Mr. Gannon in 1986 as a rookie . As I recall, their starting TE was 6'5" 255. I had a couple of blindside kill shot sack opportunities on Mr.Gannon, but he ducked an ran his 4.3 speed twinkle toes downfield.

I hope that speed didn't give you nightmares. xlolx

I think its probibly top 7 or 8. After that, teams start to show too many holes in a roster. APP does well because they can breakdown all the weaknesses of their opposition. Any team outside of the top 8 in FCS has too many weaknesses.

chantster
September 1st, 2007, 03:55 PM
Thought it would be fun to bring this thread back up since we know who won this game. xlolx

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 1st, 2007, 04:08 PM
Thanks for finding that threadxthumbsupx

HensRock
September 1st, 2007, 04:23 PM
I think we need to really hand it to KAUMASS here. Not many gave ASU even an outside shot at this game.

Casey_Orourke
September 1st, 2007, 04:24 PM

DUCK.....

YOUR WISH IS THE MOUNTAINEERS COMMAND. And as a former Oregonian, I hope the DUCKS tear them a NEW ONE!!!!!!!!!