PDA

View Full Version : ASU Football 2005 vs. 2006

Saint3333
July 11th, 2007, 11:17 AM
July may be the worst month for college football fans as practice hasn't begun, but you can almost taste the start of the season, such a tease.

I'd like to get some fans take on the ASU championship teams.

I believe I'd pick the 2006 team for four reasons.
1. Offensive Line - no one's defensive line could touch Kevin or Armanti in the playoffs, only loss one o-lineman from 2005 and Acitelli filled in nicely, depth was better in 2006 as well.

2. Overall defense - the interior defensive line and linebackers were better (depth) in 2006. Secondary was the same as no debate there.

3. Freshman impact - Edwards, Tharrington, Acitelli, Roman, Williams, Joshnon, and Moore all contributed.

4. Mayfield - 2006 was a coming out party for this kid, remember KRich was ASU's leading receiver in 2005 and having Big Chill as the #1 receiver helped out a ton, plus he's an excellent run blocking WR.

KiddBrewer
July 11th, 2007, 11:24 AM
i'd probably take 2006 too.....but, i might also take 2007 over 2006....?

Mountaineer
July 11th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Talent wise - 2006 without a doubt. Everything just sort of fell into place and the Apps rolled.

2005 is my favorite team though (right now, anyway). Kind of came out of nowhere to make it to the NC game, and we had Richie. xthumbsupx

Black Saturday
July 11th, 2007, 11:42 AM
i'd probably take 2006 too.....but, i might also take 2007 over 2006....?

I have the same feeling as well about 2007.

IMO, can be the best APP has ever fielded.

Black Saturday
July 11th, 2007, 11:49 AM
July may be the worst month for college football fans as practice hasn't begun, but you can almost taste the start of the season, such a tease.

I'd like to get some fans take on the ASU championship teams.

I believe I'd pick the 2006 team for four reasons.
1. Offensive Line - no one's defensive line could touch Kevin or Armanti in the playoffs, only loss one o-lineman from 2005 and Acitelli filled in nicely, depth was better in 2006 as well.

2. Overall defense - the interior defensive line and linebackers were better (depth) in 2006. Secondary was the same as no debate there.

3. Freshman impact - Edwards, Tharrington, Acitelli, Roman, Williams, Joshnon, and Moore all contributed.

4. Mayfield - 2006 was a coming out party for this kid, remember KRich was ASU's leading receiver in 2005 and having Big Chill as the #1 receiver helped out a ton, plus he's an excellent run blocking WR.

Very good points 3333. It'll be interesting for APP fans to see who steps up this season. I'm looking for great things from our defense. With the additions of Washington and Lewis, '07s defense could be stronger than the '06. Pre '06 I felt the D could make the year special. Just think back and see how may points were scored when any game was in question. We even held NCState low enough to win had our O been in late season form.

OL FU
July 11th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I would agree that the 2006 team was better.

2005 team lost to an FCS and if that same FCS team had not lost to Western would have quite possibly been seeded instead of ASU.

While ASU played some close games in 2006, ASU seemed to be a notch above most of the competition even in the playoffs.

2005 ASU seemed to be a team finding itself through the early part of the season and started clicking on all cylinders near the end. The 2006 team seemed to be on top of its game through out 2006.

A W&M fan made a comparions of FCS 2004 and FCS 2005 and came to the conclusion that 2005 FCS was a weaker. ( At the time, I bashed his post mainly to make the point that W&M was not in 2005).. However, I do think that FCS in 2005 might not have been as strong which adds to the stregnth of the 2006 team

BeauFoster
July 11th, 2007, 11:53 AM
The only reason I would even consider voting 2005 (I didn't, btw) is RW leadership qualities. Trey became a great leader during this past season, but it takes a very special person to lead a team the way he did. #7 should be hung from the rafters. But, for all the reasons that have been said above, 2006 would probably take 7 of 10. OL too good, defense too good.

OL FU
July 11th, 2007, 12:32 PM
The only reason I would even consider voting 2005 (I didn't, btw) is RW leadership qualities. Trey became a great leader during this past season, but it takes a very special person to lead a team the way he did. #7 should be hung from the rafters. But, for all the reasons that have been said above, 2006 would probably take 7 of 10. OL too good, defense too good.

I agree however that was one of the reasons that I picked 2006 as a better team. They didn't have the senior leadership ( and it was obvious he was a leader) at QB on the 2006 team. Very impressive that the team played so well in 2006 with a freshman QB.

WUTNDITWAA
July 11th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Da Bears against Da Bears.

You all are giving me a heart attack.

xrotatehx

I'm going to pick 2005. That team kept finding ways to win, and would get better as the game wore on (especially the defense). The 2006 team just buried its opponent from the get-go and cruised on in for the victory.