PDA

View Full Version : Weird Connections

Lehigh Football Nation
July 11th, 2007, 10:34 AM
I was thinking about something. If Robert Morris made a trip to Portland to play the Vikings, would it be the only time two former NFL head coaches faced each other in the pros AND college?

Having said that, if I'm part of RMU I'd give Jerry Glanville a call right now. xnodx

Are there any other weird connections in matchups this year, or potential matchups that could be interesting due to some weird connections?

BigApp
July 11th, 2007, 12:11 PM
fwiw, Butch Davis and Steve Spurrier coach against each other this season.

I'm certain there are others

UNHWildCats
July 11th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Not really a weird connection but when Ricky Santos and UNH beat Marshall will he be the first FCS QB to go 3-0 against FBS teams in his career?

BobbyMo
July 11th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I was thinking about something. If Robert Morris made a trip to Portland to play the Vikings, would it be the only time two former NFL head coaches faced each other in the pros AND college?

Having said that, if I'm part of RMU I'd give Jerry Glanville a call right now. xnodx

Are there any other weird connections in matchups this year, or potential matchups that could be interesting due to some weird connections?

Thats an interesting note. I do not think RMU has the $$$ to fly out there, but I would love to see it happen. xnodx

Coyote2
July 11th, 2007, 01:25 PM
There are a few of former NFL Head coaches around: Pete Carroll Mike Riley Dennis Erickson Pac-10/ Bill Callahan Big 12 /June Jones Wac/ Al Groh ACC
Probably a few others too....

gmoney55
July 11th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Not weird, but Towson takes on their first PL opponent since leaving the league.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 11th, 2007, 01:36 PM
There are a few of former NFL Head coaches around: Pete Carroll Mike Riley Dennis Erickson Pac-10/ Bill Callahan Big 12 /June Jones Wac/ Al Groh ACC
Probably a few others too....

Good points. It looks like in the FBS world there may have been matchups in the past, but I don't think it's ever happened in an FCS vs. FBS or FCS vs. FCS matchup. Can anyone confirm?

Seahawks Fan
July 11th, 2007, 01:39 PM
What about Jimmy Johnson? He might have done that with the Cowboys.

UAalum72
July 11th, 2007, 01:49 PM
and Lou Holtz

Lehigh Football Nation
July 11th, 2007, 01:51 PM
JJ would definitely be after he left U of Miami.

Holtz if more interesting. Where did he coach in the pros, though? I forget.

UAalum72
July 11th, 2007, 01:56 PM
1976 with the Jets, resigned with one game left, record 3-10.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 11th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Lou Holtz
Joe Walton
Pete Carroll

All failed Jets coaches that thrived in Division I football after they left!

xlolx xlolx xlolx

And Rich Kotite was a successful TE at Wagner before he coached the Jets!

Pard94
July 13th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Within our own League, LFN, in the coming years we will have a Mara (of the NY Football Giants Mara's) at Fordham playing aganist a Shula at Lafayette...pretty weird if you ask me.