PDA

View Full Version : Albany Football Stadium

Ruler 79
July 10th, 2007, 01:52 PM
A couple weeks old:

UAlbany athletic director says new stadium would help recruiting
The Business Review (Albany) - June 18, 2007
Print this Article Email this Article Reprints RSS Feeds Most Viewed Most Emailed
University at Albany's annual sports budget could more than double to $25 million over the next five years if a $50 million stadium is built to attract more top notch recruits and competition, the college's athletic director said Monday.

"Facilities are critical in our business," athletics director Lee McElroy told a crowd of some 200 business leaders who attended The Business Review's annual Book of Lists Breakfast at the Desmond in Colonie.

Construction of a new 15,000 seat multi-sport complex could begin sometime in 2008, luring more competition from schools like Syracuse University and the University of Delaware, McElroy said. The school is in the midst of a fund raising campaign for the project.

"Delaware is not going to come to Albany and play in what we have now," he said.

McElroy, who came to Albany in 2000, said he also hopes the school will be able to offer more scholarships in the future.

The school, which offered $700,000 in scholarships when he stepped in, now offers about $3.5 million in scholarships per year, he said.

Scholarships and facilities will go a long way toward helping the college compete, recruit and retain talented athletes and coaches, McElroy said.

That success can be seen by looking at schools such as the University of Texas which has a $90 million annual sports budget, he said.

McElroy said University of Albany also points to the restaurants, schools, the arts and Saratoga Springs as recruiting tools.

andy7171
July 10th, 2007, 01:58 PM
"Delaware is not going to come to Albany and play in what we have now," he said.
Delaware ain't gonna travel anywhere unless you are a CAA team. Period. It's a nice plan to upgrade the facilities and you will attract other teams up there xthumbsupx , but getting Delaware to budge when they don't have to is a pipe dream. Sad but rue.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 10th, 2007, 02:14 PM
UAlbany athletic director says new stadium would help recruiting
The Business Review (Albany) - June 18, 2007

The school, which offered $700,000 in scholarships when he stepped in, now offers about $3.5 million in scholarships per year, he said.

xeekx xeekx xeekx And to think, MplsBison thinks they're not a FCS school with partial schollies!

Think about this: this would mean that they outspend a good portion of Patriot League schools.

Calif_Colonial
July 10th, 2007, 02:44 PM
UAlbanydeserves a new stadium. New York University in the capitol of the state. I hope they get it. I hope it will be the artist's renderings that was posted on this forum. That would be outstanding for the Great Danes. xthumbsupx

Dane96
July 10th, 2007, 02:44 PM
UGGGH...hate to give that dude ammunition, but the 3.5mm scholarships is TOTAL athletic scholarships.

We probably are nearing 1mm in football...still not too shabby considering the majority of players come from NYS where tuition is lower.

Finally, I think there is a verbal agreement with UD to come to UA during our first year in the new stadium. We are pretty close with UD in many sports and have a VERY good relationship with them.

In fact, we have a good relationship with most of the CAA schools. Two CAA school officials sit on one of our University Boards, including the AD of William & Mary.

Dane96
July 10th, 2007, 02:51 PM
UA's ATHELTIC MASTER PLAN- PROJECT 2010.

We are entering into Phase 2.

Quiite ambitious, including:

1. The completion of the lax/field hockey stadium (stands for 3000 and 2000 respectively.

2. The Football Stadium and Connector Addition to the RACC, giving new concessions to the RACC, along with new atraining, office, weight training, and academic facilities.

3. New Baseball Stadium/Soccer Complex/Ampitheater on the lake- Seating will be large

4. New Track and Field Stadium for our highly successful track program.

5. Open field for tailgating....and concourse walkway.

6. New Rec Building for General Students.

http://admin.xosn.com/attachments1/3875.pdf

aceinthehole
July 10th, 2007, 03:32 PM

1. The completion of the lax/field hockey stadium (stands for 3000 and 2000 respectively.

2. The Football Stadium and Connector Addition to the RACC, giving new concessions to the RACC, along with new atraining, office, weight training, and academic facilities.

3. New Baseball Stadium/Soccer Complex/Ampitheater on the lake- Seating will be large

A great plan, and I hope CCSU prepares something similar this year.

We are desperatly waiting for the release of formal plans for CCSU's proposed $8.5m renovations/expansion of all outdoor athletic/recreation fields, including an upgraded Arute Filed (football) to about 10k.

Right now I know what Danes fans felt like a few years ago when plans were announced, but nothing visual. You got a good direction and vision right now. I'm going crazy .. but good luck to UA!

henfan
July 10th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Finally, I think there is a verbal agreement with UD to come to UA during our first year in the new stadium. We are pretty close with UD in many sports and have a VERY good relationship with them.

UD's schedule is locked solid through 2011 from what I've been told. They're working on noncon dates 2012 and later.

Keep in mind also that UD is in the process of a significant administrative change-over. Some don't expect the long-term AD to last more than a couple more years at best. At this point, I wouldn't invest too much stock in a supposed verbal agreement he might have made.

I don't imagine UD would necessarily be opposed to doing a home-home with UA somewhere down the line after the concrete is dry on the new stadium. Because of the financial issues involved for UD though, a '2-for-1' would be much more likely.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 10th, 2007, 03:40 PM
UD's schedule is locked solid through 2011 from what I've been told. They're working on noncon dates 2012 and later.

Keep in mind also that UD is in the process of a significant administrative change-over. Some don't expect the long-term AD to last more than a couple more years at best. At this point, I wouldn't invest too much stock in a supposed verbal agreement he might have made.

I don't imagine UD would necessarily be opposed to doing a home-home with UA somewhere down the line after the concrete is dry on the new stadium. Because of the financial issues involved for UD though, a '2-for-1' would be much more likely.

Or a "None, None, and Never"... BTW, we're still waiting for our return game at Goodman... xcoffeex

henfan
July 10th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Or a "None, None, and Never"... BTW, we're still waiting for our return game at Goodman... xcoffeex

Brew a couple more pots o' joe, then because you're going to be waiting a loooong time. There's nothing in the works between LU & UD... unfortunately.

As you know, the '99 & '05 games were entirely separate, one game deals with no return dates as part of the agreement. Not sure why LU would have agreed to sell out the opportunity to play an extra game or two at home against some other team, unless they simply liked the guarantees the Blue Hens were offering.xnodx

Personally, I've had great experiences at Goodman Stadium and wouldn't mind returning there at any time.xthumbsupx

henfan
July 10th, 2007, 10:22 PM

Brew a couple more pots o' joe because you're going to be waiting a loooong time for that to happen. There's nothing in the works between LU & UD... unfortunately.

As you know, the '99 & '05 games were entirely separate, one game deals with no return dates as part of the agreements. Not sure why LU would have agreed to sell out the opportunity to play an extra game or two at home against some other team, unless they simply liked the guarantees the Blue Hens were offering.xnodx

Personally, I've had great experiences at Goodman Stadium and wouldn't mind returning there. Far and away, one of the best FCS atmospheres I've encountered. xthumbsupx

Ruler 79
July 11th, 2007, 08:11 AM
As an Albany fan I am not opposed to travel to either "The Tub" or Goodman as our current set up is a disaster. As long as the results come out the same as last year!

colorless raider
July 11th, 2007, 10:34 AM

Sounds like a great master plan. This will be a real tough opener for Gate.

Seawolf97
July 11th, 2007, 01:41 PM
I hope Albany gets their stadium - the drawing they posted on these boards was impressive. Dont worry about Delaware you have UNH, UMass and Maine all pretty close. They could be quality home games in the future.