PDA

View Full Version : App holds the FCS in their hands.....

putter
July 9th, 2007, 03:16 PM
...when they play Michigan. We all have talked about how the FCS gets no respect from the major media or fans. For this to have any chance to get better App needs to go into Ann Arbor and have a great game. Michigan, well, is Michigan but this App team is the 2 time defending national champion and if they go in and get crushed then all we will hear is how inferior the FCS is because of how the 2 time defending champion could not hold the jock of a Michigan team so here is to a good game by App!

PMB4Life
July 9th, 2007, 03:18 PM
This game does not concern me. While I'm by no means saying that ASU will win, Michigan knew what they were getting when they scheduled this game, much like Iowa knows what to expect when they schedule us. This game will not be a blowout.

james_lawfirm
July 9th, 2007, 03:53 PM
This game does not concern me. While I'm by no means saying that ASU will win, Michigan knew what they were getting when they scheduled this game, much like Iowa knows what to expect when they schedule us. This game will not be a blowout.

PMB:
I agree. A blowout this will not be. And, I also want to comment about the notion that App has something to prove for all the FCS teams everywhere. As much as I would love to agree, I don't. Here's why. I'll guarantee that Coach Moore's perspective is this: Go play football & have fun in front of 100k Mich. fans & tune up for the real games of the season. The real games start w/ SoCon teams & other FCS teams. A win over Mich. would be nice and it counts for playoff purposes, but Coach Moore said its like the FBS teams wear a size 40 long & the FCS teams wear size 30. We get 22 fewer scholarship players & one less coach. We are supposed to lose. But, that does not mean it won't be close & maybe even we give them a scare.

App. can still have one heck of a year even if we lose to Mich. in a blowout. And, lord help us if we actually win that game. We might even pull an MSU and then lose to Div.2 Lenoir Rhyne the next week. If we did win in Mich., the coaches challenge for that next week would be to keep the players focused and make them understand that LR is playing as an underdog wanting to be a spoiler just like ASU did in Mich. In reality, as an ASU fan, the games I am really concerned about are Wofford - away and Furman - away. Yikes! xeekx Even Citadel away is cause for concern.

OL FU
July 9th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I never have and never will worry to much about how FCS plays against FBS whether middle of the road or top notch. I understand why we all, me included, want ASU to fair well but I don't put that much emphasis on one game especially this one. ASU could play them close or they could get blown away. Football is a sport of emotions, momentum and how the ball bounces. A couple of bad bounces or missed assignments and ASU could lose by a lot simple because the mojo turned against them. On the other hand ASU could play them close because they played a heck of a game or because Big Blue played conservative or just didn't get up for the game.

I have seen mediocre Furman teams give all kind of trouble to good FBS teams. I good example is the 2003 team that was either 5-6 or 6-5 ( I can't remember) give Clemson a second half scare only to lose by 8 (not comparing that Clemson team to Michigan) . And I have seen a pretty good Furman team 2002 ( I believe) get demoralized by a bad Vanderbuilt team.

I think James take on Moore's take is right on. Play your hearts out. Go play to win. But if you don't, the season is the rest of the games, not the Michigan game.

BeauFoster
July 9th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I never have and never will worry to much about how FCS plays against FBS whether middle of the road or top notch. I understand why we all, me included, want ASU to fair well but I don't put that much emphasis on one game especially this one. ASU could play them close or they could get blown away. Football is a sport of emotions, momentum and how the ball bounces. A couple of bad bounces or missed assignments and ASU could lose by a lot simple because the mojo turned against them. On the other hand ASU could play them close because they played a heck of a game or because Big Blue played conservative or just didn't get up for the game.

I have seen mediocre Furman teams give all kind of trouble to good FBS teams. I good example is the 2003 team that was either 5-6 or 6-5 ( I can't remember) give Clemson a second half scare only to lose by 8 (not comparing that Clemson team to Michigan) . And I have seen a pretty good Furman team 2002 ( I believe) get demoralized by a bad Vanderbuilt team.

I think James take on Moore's take is right on. Play your hearts out. Go play to win. But if you don't, the season is the rest of the games, not the Michigan game.

Exceptionally well stated, OL. Are you sure you went to Furman? :) But in all reality, the past few posts have been spot on. Coach Moore has always stated (sometimes to the severe anguish of us fans) that ASU's main focus is on winning the SoCon and getting the birth for the playoffs. The rest is just cake.

PaladinFan
July 9th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I disagree. This isn't Clemson, Pitt, Iowa State, or Colorado we are talking about here. This is one of the premier college football programs in the country. App State got all charged up last year over an instate game against a sorry NCSU team and still lost.

Michigan, however, will not play their stars for long (neither should ASU). This game could, should, and very easily will be a blowout. If ASU hangs around it will most likely be because they are playing the second stringers.

App's a heckuva football team, but their eyes are too big for their stomach in this one.

SoCon48
July 9th, 2007, 04:32 PM
"If ASU hangs around it will most likely be because they are playing the second stringers"

You can better believe that if the game is close, Michigan sure won't have 2nd stringers in. Michigan knows what it would do their rankings to let an FCS team play them close.

"App State got all charged up last year over an instate game against a sorry NCSU team and still lost. "

Based on the 40-7 ASU-Furman game, I'm sure you're glad it wasn't Furman in Raleigh. If Furman's line had controlled ASU's like NCSU's did and we hadn't discovered Aramnti Edwards yet, the Furman game might just have been similar to the State game.
Not sure what you disagree with anyway as I don't recall Coach Moore getting all charged up. In fact, the fans are still second guessing him for not pulling out all the stops vs State.
Too, most of the boys know what a "premier" team looks like anyway from the LSU game in '05.

phillyAPP
July 9th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I disagree. This isn't Clemson, Pitt, Iowa State, or Colorado we are talking about here. This is one of the premier college football programs in the country. App State got all charged up last year over an instate game against a sorry NCSU team and still lost.

Michigan, however, will not play their stars for long (neither should ASU). This game could, should, and very easily will be a blowout. If ASU hangs around it will most likely be because they are playing the second stringers.

App's a heckuva football team, but their eyes are too big for their stomach in this one.

You may be right ?and you may be wrong? But it sure will be fun finding out what really happens.
APPS have nothing to lose,even if its a blowout. We're playin in the BIG House.I think they will respect APP at the end of the game.

GoldandBlack
July 9th, 2007, 04:45 PM
You may be right ?and you may be wrong? But it sure will be fun finding out what really happens.
APPS have nothing to lose,even if its a blowout. We're playin in the BIG House.I think they will respect APP at the end of the game.

I agree- I think APP will have respect at the end of the game.

I do disagree, though, that they have nothing to lose. It would be very possible for one or more key players to be injured in that game (which I hope and pray does NOT happen), that could have a strong impact on at least a part of the rest of the season. That's my biggest concern for APP going into that game.

SoCon48
July 9th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I agree. The LSU staff and media had nothing but good things to say about ASU after the '05 game.
I compare this match-up fairly equally to the difference in the App-Mich programs.
We certainly could get blown out by Michigan . But so will other Big Ten teams this year.
We have nothing to be ashamed of no matter the outcome. I just want to see the whole roster practicing the Monday after.

appfan2008
July 9th, 2007, 05:10 PM
i think will be able to hold their own with michigan... for the first half and then things will begin to spread out

BeauFoster
July 9th, 2007, 05:12 PM

As I said earlier, ASU (more specifically the coaches) didn't get charged up for that game. The fans, that is another story. But watching the game, we didn't seem to try and win that game in a "go all out" sense, just more to run some plays and see what happens. Most fans at that game will probably agree with me.

clearthinker
July 9th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I agree. The LSU staff and media had nothing but good things to say about ASU after the '05 game.
I compare this match-up fairly equally to the difference in the App-Mich programs.
We certainly could get blown out by Michigan . But so will other Big Ten teams this year.
We have nothing to be ashamed of no matter the outcome. I just want to see the whole roster practicing the Monday after.

As a New Hampshire fan I witnessed our Wildcats dismantle Northwestern 34-17 last year and I know APP STATE can play Michigan tough and win--Last year Northwestern played well against the Wolverines before losing 17-3

Play your game and it will work out well

clearthinker
July 9th, 2007, 05:27 PM

As a New Hampshire fan I witnessed our Wildcats dismantle Northwestern 34-17 last year and I know APP STATE can play Michigan tough and win--Last year Northwestern played with the Wolverines before losing 17-3

http://nusports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/102806aac.html

T-Dog
July 9th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I am of firm belief that we will win this game. I won't believe otherwise unless we actually lose.

You gotta have faith. Even if everyone else doesn't.

BigApp
July 9th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I've stated many times before, and I'll state it again:

Eventually, a little guy (like Appalachian) is going to beat one of those big boys (like Michigan). I plan on being there when it happens.

xthumbsupx

SoCon48
July 9th, 2007, 07:18 PM
As a New Hampshire fan I witnessed our Wildcats dismantle Northwestern 34-17 last year and I know APP STATE can play Michigan tough and win--Last year Northwestern played with the Wolverines before losing 17-3

http://nusports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/102806aac.html

We haven't played a team whose defensive line could control our OL since Edwards has been starting at QB. So if that happens, we will see if we can
play our game.

NoSpinZone
July 9th, 2007, 07:36 PM
As a New Hampshire fan I witnessed our Wildcats dismantle Northwestern 34-17 last year and I know APP STATE can play Michigan tough and win--Last year Northwestern played well against the Wolverines before losing 17-3

Someone is actually comparing beating a bad Northwestern team in front of 20,108 fans with a 30 year old coach early in the year after the head coach died a month before to playing Michigan in front of 110k because they lost by 2 TD's two months later. OK.

CopperCat
July 9th, 2007, 08:12 PM
ASU doesn't hold the FCS in its hands. Plenty of other FCS teams can make a name for our division if they play well against their FBS opponents. ASU can certainly help our case, but the won't MAKE the case by themselves.

BEAR
July 9th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Unless Michigan is a contender for the national title, I don't think anyone will remember this game a week after it ends. If APP upsets Mich, then it will be a side note on ESPN, but only if Mich. is in the title hunt (or was in the case of a loss). This one game is no more important than the UAF v. Citadel game was a few years back. Yeah, it made people go wow for a day or two. But then no one wanted to acknowledge it ever happened. So FCS loses either way. Now if a bunch of FCS teams start beating FBS teams....the more wins the more notice by fans. Not just one game though. But good luck APP! The Bear fans will be cheering you on..along with cheering on our own over La. Tech. (yeah, not as big of a name, but FBS all the same..maybe...xlolx )IMO

AppMan
July 9th, 2007, 09:01 PM
As I said earlier, ASU (more specifically the coaches) didn't get charged up for that game. The fans, that is another story. But watching the game, we didn't seem to try and win that game in a "go all out" sense, just more to run some plays and see what happens. Most fans at that game will probably agree with me.

I agree. I realize it was early in the year and the playbook was only about 1/4 open, but that game was there for the taking and we didn't do what was necessary to make it happen. Midway through the second half it seemed like both staffs were content to run it between the tackles and get it over with. Very vanilla, and it seemed as though we had gone back to 2005. Very disappointing for the fans and more importanly the players. IMO, these games are a win-win situation. Pull out all the stops and see what happens. You don't get many chances to make a name for yourself on a national stage like this and I just don't see the point in throwing it away.

walliver
July 9th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I doubt that Michigan will be "up" for this game. One of the reasons that FCS teams often hang with the big boys is that these games can be a big game to the little guys and a let-down for the big guys. Maybe ASU can keep it close .. maybe not. I would like for ASU to win, however, so that at the end of the year, we can say we beat a team that beat Michigan.xnodx

JohnStOnge
July 9th, 2007, 09:51 PM
I hope it's not a blowout but a blowout is certainly a possibility. The 2005 App State national champ team was beaten 36-8 by Kansas and Michigan's probably going to be a lot better than that Kansas team was.

Of course the 2005 App State team also played very respectably in losing 24-0 at LSU...which was a lot better than Kansas.

I-AA national champs have been blown out by BCS league teams in the past. An 8-4 West Virginia team beat 2004 national champ JMU 45-10, for example.

I think it's an interesting game and I hope App plays respectably but I sure wouldn't go in thinking a big Michigan blowout isn't well within the realm of reasonably likely scenarios.

already123
July 10th, 2007, 02:03 AM
It appears to me that this is an extrodinary situation...

App can go into the big house and get stomped, and the media would spin the game similar to what PaladinFan was saying...."I disagree. This isn't Clemson, Pitt, Iowa State, or Colorado we are talking about here. This is one of the premier college football programs in the country. App State got all charged up last year over an instate game against a sorry NCSU team and still lost.

App's a heckuva football team, but their eyes are too big for their stomach in this one."

However, App can play a decent game and though they lost, FCS would still get about the same amount of respect they had before they flew up to Mich (not being on the NCAA2008 game, sportscasters still refer to us as I-AA, etc.). IMO, it is shaping up like this....we (FCS) are offering our equiv. of USC to a top 10 team. Anything less than a victory or a Furman/Pitt game would leave us in the same position we were in before...seemingly inferior to the millions who don't care to follow our brand of football

In short, give em H3LL APP!!!

SoCon48
July 10th, 2007, 07:53 AM
I agree. I realize it was early in the year and the playbook was only about 1/4 open, but that game was there for the taking and we didn't do what was necessary to make it happen. Midway through the second half it seemed like both staffs were content to run it between the tackles and get it over with. Very vanilla, and it seemed as though we had gone back to 2005. Very disappointing for the fans and more importanly the players. IMO, these games are a win-win situation. Pull out all the stops and see what happens. You don't get many chances to make a name for yourself on a national stage like this and I just don't see the point in throwing it away.

Hell, Elder was clicking on like 3 cylinders and our O line was not playing in the same league as NCSU's. Anytime we turned it up, NCSU would have, too. You have to control the line of scrimmage first and foremost. We weren't even close to doing that.
We learned what we needed to do that day to have a successful run. One of those things was to find a more mobile QB, which we did the very next week.
If Michigan's line gets in Armanti's face like NCSU's did Trey's, we'll see more of the same.

SoCon48
July 10th, 2007, 07:55 AM
I doubt that Michigan will be "up" for this game. One of the reasons that FCS teams often hang with the big boys is that these games can be a big game to the little guys and a let-down for the big guys. Maybe ASU can keep it close .. maybe not. I would like for ASU to win, however, so that at the end of the year, we can say we beat a team that beat Michigan.xnodx

Any decent team who isn't "up for a game" will suddenly get up for it when they see the game is up for grabs by a little upstart lower league team.
The not being up syndrome will go away as soon as App either scores on them or stops their drive.

asu3peat
July 10th, 2007, 07:55 AM
This game is "HUGE" to App fans and players, as well as the university's wallet. As far as respect is concerned, not so much. In order for the FCS to gain respect, we need several wins and some close calls to even get some type of media attention. Now we know the dislike between APP and Furman, but last year I was pulling for FU over UNC even though I'm a tarheel fan (have family ties). Why, because I agree with this board, we need more respect/coverage. We need all teams(YSU, NAU, FU and NDSU and all the rest who play FBS team) to have a great showing in order for us to demand respect from the media and the rest of the country. It starts at week one. I'll be pulling for ALL FCS teams when we play the FBS, so we need to go out an earn our respect instead of just asking for it.

terrierbob
July 10th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Any decent team who isn't "up for a game" will suddenly get up for it when they see the game is up for grabs by a little upstart lower league team.
The not being up syndrome will go away as soon as App either scores on them or stops their drive.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Coach Spurrier was a little upset that the Gamecocks weren't "up" for Wofford last year. The score was 27-20 and we were inside their ten with less than 2 minutes to play in the game. I'm not saying S. Carolina is Michigan, but the site is called "Any Given Saturday", isn't it? I hope the SOCON bad boys win!

SoCon48
July 10th, 2007, 08:28 AM
This game is "HUGE" to App fans and players, as well as the university's wallet. As far as respect is concerned, not so much. In order for the FCS to gain respect, we need several wins and some close calls to even get some type of media attention. Now we know the dislike between APP and Furman, but last year I was pulling for FU over UNC even though I'm a tarheel fan (have family ties). Why, because I agree with this board, we need more respect/coverage. We need all teams(YSU, NAU, FU and NDSU and all the rest who play FBS team) to have a great showing in order for us to demand respect from the media and the rest of the country. It starts at week one. I'll be pulling for ALL FCS teams when we play the FBS, so we need to go out an earn our respect instead of just asking for it.

Last year's Furman-UNC and ASU-NCSU games were rarieties. It's not often we get to challenge sorry I-A teams.

AppMan
July 10th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Hell, Elder was clicking on like 3 cylinders and our O line was not playing in the same league as NCSU's. Anytime we turned it up, NCSU would have, too. You have to control the line of scrimmage first and foremost. We weren't even close to doing that.
We learned what we needed to do that day to have a successful run. One of those things was to find a more mobile QB, which we did the very next week.
If Michigan's line gets in Armanti's face like NCSU's did Trey's, we'll see more of the same.

I think it went far deeper than that. When you line up against a much larger opponent you have got to do a few things to slow them down. I realize the terrible field position had a lot to do with what we could and ccould not do, but the times we had the ball in a mid-field or scoring position we were extremely vanilla. Almost no motion, noneat all from the slot receivers coming into the backfield, zero twin back sets, just very little deception at all. Perhaps it was because of Trey's condition, which nobody knew about at the time, but it became painfully evident we had far too few arrows in our quiver for that game. One would have thought with all the experienced players coming back the offensive playbook would have been much deeper than what we showed. A lot of us wondered why Trey wasn't playing the way he did the year before. As the season wore on and more info leaked out it became obvious the staff waited too long to have his shoulder surgery performed and rushed him back into action far too quickly. To see him now vs the beginning of last season is an amazing difference. By no means do I want anything to happen to Armanti, but I hope Trey has an opportunity to come in during a big ballgame and show what he is capeable of doing. It is sad because Trey would probably be starting for 80% of the FCS programs out there.

bluehenbillk
July 10th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Honestly it will be hard as hell for AppSt to slow down Michigan's offense, and when I say slow down I mean to hold them under 40 points. This team has 4 sure-fire 1st round draft picks and maybe a couple more on offense, it's not your ordinary BCS offense. That being said to say Appalachian could score more than 17 on Michigan could be stretching.

I'll go with 52-10.

asu3peat
July 10th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Honestly it will be hard as hell for AppSt to slow down Michigan's offense, and when I say slow down I mean to hold them under 40 points. This team has 4 sure-fire 1st round draft picks and maybe a couple more on offense, it's not your ordinary BCS offense. That being said to say Appalachian could score more than 17 on Michigan could be stretching.

I'll go with 52-10.

I agree with you on trying to slow down that offense and hold them under 40 pts. All they need to do is run behind those All-american o-linemen and as soon as we sneak a safety up, throw over the top to Manningham. Their offense will be prolific to say the least. As for their defense, they have a lot of holes to fill thanks to the draft. And if the last two games of last year are any indication of this years team, we could post 20+.

UM ASU
41 - 24

GoGuins
July 10th, 2007, 12:12 PM

I'll go with 52-10.

Finally, someone with some sense on here. I'll give ASU a garbage TD in the end, something like 52-17

GoGuins
July 10th, 2007, 12:14 PM
As for their defense, they have a lot of holes to fill thanks to the draft. And if the last two games of last year are any indication of this years team, we could post 20+.

Not as many as you think, they just reload plus there is no comparison between ASU's offense & Ohio State/USC

AppMan
July 10th, 2007, 12:22 PM

I think people are making far too much out of this "our champion" representing "our division" thing. Folks, we comparing opposite ends of the spectrum here. ASU has an outstanding FCS team and we all know the Mountaineer talent level is on par with many teams out of the MAC, CUSA, SunBelt, Mtn West and even the bottom level programs of these BCS conferences. However, we are playing one of the most storied programs in NCAA college football history and one of the nation's best year in and out. They recruit cream of the crop talent from across the nation, not to mention they have 22 more scholarships of that top level depth to work with. Yes, money doesn't necessarily translate into a top level program, but it doesn't hurt either, and they have a ton of cash & the state of the art facilities it buys. The ASU football squad does not have the weight of the FCS on their back and quite frankly I don't think (hope) our kids or coaches even think about the game in those terms. I fail to see how us playing well, or bad, at Michigan has anything to say about the rest of FCS. The same goes for some other FCS team getting blown out by a BCS school doesn't cast a bad light on the ASU program. What the Mountaineers do have is an opportunity to gain a measure of respect for our school, and program. I'll be in the Big House wearing my Black & Gold with pride. Do I expect to win, not really. Do I expect our kids to compete and make a good, respectable showing, absolutely! However, I temper my enthusiasm with a solid dose of realism.

Death Dealer
July 10th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I personally hope that Appy wins or at least keeps it close. It's possible. I also would hate to see too many injuries. I don't want you guys to have any excuses when we beat you in G'vegas!xsmiley_wix (honestly, it would be a shame to see some kid miss the rest of the season)

SoCon48
July 10th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Not as many as you think, they just reload plus there is no comparison between ASU's offense & Ohio State/USC

Although both aspects will be tough, we'll have a better chance of scoring on them than we will of keeping them from scoring.

SoCon48
July 10th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Finally, someone with some sense on here. I'll give ASU a garbage TD in the end, something like 52-17

You are probaly right on but this board was full of such predictions and worse when we played LSU in '05.

SoCon48
July 10th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I think it went far deeper than that. When you line up against a much larger opponent you have got to do a few things to slow them down. I realize the terrible field position had a lot to do with what we could and ccould not do, but the times we had the ball in a mid-field or scoring position we were extremely vanilla. Almost no motion, noneat all from the slot receivers coming into the backfield, zero twin back sets, just very little deception at all. Perhaps it was because of Trey's condition, which nobody knew about at the time, but it became painfully evident we had far too few arrows in our quiver for that game. One would have thought with all the experienced players coming back the offensive playbook would have been much deeper than what we showed. A lot of us wondered why Trey wasn't playing the way he did the year before. As the season wore on and more info leaked out it became obvious the staff waited too long to have his shoulder surgery performed and rushed him back into action far too quickly. To see him now vs the beginning of last season is an amazing difference. By no means do I want anything to happen to Armanti, but I hope Trey has an opportunity to come in during a big ballgame and show what he is capeable of doing. It is sad because Trey would probably be starting for 80% of the FCS programs out there.
True, but 80% of the FCS teams are not contenders for the National Championship. We are.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 10th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Regarding the blowout JMU had vs. at the time #6 WVU (45-10):

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/cfoot520/3761107/detail.html

This tells a lot of typically good FCS teams and how they stack up against the top 25 in FBS.

What it really says to me is that the score does not indicate the level of play. JMU held the mountaineers scoreless through the first quarter. They also limited Kay-Jay Harris to a paltry 63 yds on 22 attempts. And WVU is no easy place to play. I don't think ASU will be intimidated either.

The key problems were TOs that turned into easy points. JMU actually played better from the line of scrimmage overall, but all it takes is a funny bounce this way and a better technique that way to force the game upside down in a matter of minutes.

I remember people telling me that this game was when JMU really grew up and became the team that it would be later in the season. Many players felt they were equal athletes and talents to most of WVU's players. They knew the score did not indicate how close they were to making it one hell of a game down to the wire. That chip on their collective shoulders carried them well on the road through the playoffs in 2004.

Good luck ASU - no pressure, only fun and give 'em hell. JMU will do the same in Chapel Hill on Sept. 1. Can't wait!!! xthumbsupx xpeacex

asu3peat
July 10th, 2007, 01:36 PM

You're correct with your comparison b/t ASU and OSU/USC offenses...that's why I said 20+ and not 35+. They gave up 75+ (if my memory serves correct) in those last two games with a defense that was chalk full of NFL talent. And according to what I've read here and at the UM message boards, their team tends to come out slowly. This was my rationale behind my post. And it's not as if I was predicting a monumental upset, I still had us losing.

MountainMan
July 10th, 2007, 01:40 PM

I'll go with 52-10.

The 2005 had several All American OL's, a Rb, a WR and some guy named Jamarcus Russle when we played them. Sure we lost 24-0 but it was 14-0 starting the 4th when we pulled OUR starters. LSU left theirs in for 2 more series until they got another TD on the board. Don't forget we dropped a TD pass and had a field goal hit the post. I don't care what anyone says, but that LSU team had more talent than this Michigan team. Michigan did lose 7 starters from their D while LSU returned almost all on their 2005 squad.

I'm not saying we are going to win or even play them really close, but I don't think they will put 52 on us or hold us to 10. Like some others said... ANY GIVEN SATURDAY. If we lose by more than 21 I'll be disappointed, and if we lose by 35 or more I'll be down right upset.

MountainMan
July 10th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Regarding the blowout JMU had vs. at the time #6 WVU (45-10):

I remember people telling me that this game was when JMU really grew up and became the team that it would be later in the season. Many players felt they were equal athletes and talents to most of WVU's players. They knew the score did not indicate how close they were to making it one hell of a game down to the wire. That chip on their collective shoulders carried them well on the road through the playoffs in 2004.

Good luck ASU - no pressure, only fun and give 'em hell. JMU will do the same in Chapel Hill on Sept. 1. Can't wait!!! xthumbsupx xpeacex

This reminds me of some of the stories I heard after our game vs LSU. Our players gained so much confidence in themselves after that game. I really felt bad for Western heading into the next week becuase you could just tell that our guys really started to believe that they were better than anyone they were going to face the rest of that season.

phillyAPP
July 10th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I personally hope that Appy wins or at least keeps it close. It's possible. I also would hate to see too many injuries. I don't want you guys to have any excuses when we beat you in G'vegas!xsmiley_wix (honestly, it would be a shame to see some kid miss the rest of the season)

Thats funny Death, i hope the same thing except excuses haven't been our issue in a few years !! lol

Can't wait to come to G'vegas !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its going to be a fun Fall.xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

putter
July 10th, 2007, 01:55 PM
The reason I believed it is a big game is because App is the two time defending champion. I am not saying that App is out looking for respect or recognition but that our yearly bashing by Rod Gilmore et al during the playoffs is centered around how inferior FCS is to FBS. I personally want App to go to Ann Arbor and have a great game to show that this level of football is more than just a step above little guy football. If they get beat by 50 then you all know that the FCS will be considered non-quality football because the best team we have had in 2 years could not compete.

already123
July 10th, 2007, 04:43 PM
xchinscratchx What would we be saying if Duke, NCST, or UNC was playing Mich???
APP is arguably up to par (if not better) than these programs....so lets substitute w/ an FBS to give people a clearer understanding of what the games outcome will be.......IF ANY of these other schools were playing Mich IN Ann Arbor (or anywhere else for that matter) we would be screaming "blow-out" from day one! So what makes App different....?xchinscratchx

putter
July 10th, 2007, 04:58 PM
xchinscratchx What would we be saying if Duke, NCST, or UNC was playing Mich???
APP is arguably up to par (if not better) than these programs....so lets substitute w/ an FBS to give people a clearer understanding of what the games outcome will be.......IF ANY of these other schools were playing Mich IN Ann Arbor (or anywhere else for that matter) we would be screaming "blow-out" from day one! So what makes App different....?xchinscratchx

What makes APP different is that they are FCS and no FBS fan will compare App to Duke or any other team just because of classification. Doesn't make it right but that is the reason I said App will be carrying the FCS flag. Not that other teams have not played up and won but Michigan against the 2 time champs carries more weight.

already123
July 10th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Correct. However, that is not what I was commenting on...I was just tired of hearing all these people saying that APP was going to win, or that it was going to be close! Yes, any given saturday right? But lets be real, we wouldn't be too quick to wave the AGS flag if we were talking about UNC, NCST, etc.......get it ?

OL FU
July 10th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Correct. However, that is not what I was commenting on...I was just tired of hearing all these people saying that APP was going to win, or that it was going to be close! Yes, any given saturday right? But lets be real, we wouldn't be too quick to wave the AGS flag if we were talking about UNC, NCST, etc.......get it ?

xeyebrowx ASU is not going to winxeyebrowx xeekx

http://www.secraterri.com/faint.jpg

BigApp
July 10th, 2007, 05:31 PM
xeyebrowx ASU is not going to win, I hopexeyebrowx xeekx

fixed it for ya...xsmiley_wix

james_lawfirm
July 10th, 2007, 07:55 PM

Wha? Then what the F--- are we playing the game for? I'll wager that the ASU veterans will be playing to win. Ain't no way this will be the BLOWOUT that Mich. fans think. I predict ASU puts a scare into Mich. - we might not win, but it will be a good game.

In all seriousness, ASU has nothing to lose & everything to gain. Mich. has lots to lose. ASU can go up there & have fun & play hard & learn about being in a tight spot. All the pressure will be on the Wolverines. For Mich., if its a close game, as I predict, the Mich. alumni will probably begin screaming for their coach's head on a platter. If we actually win, there's no telling what they'll do - probably scream for their Chancellor's head too.

I like what a YSU poster said. Sooner or later a FCS team will beat a top 10 FBS team, it might as well be Labor Day weekend.

JohnStOnge
July 10th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Just for fun, let's assume Michigan is a "10 win" caliber team.

The average score, historically, for I-A teams that won 10 or more games vs. I-AA playoff teams is 42-10. The average score for such games since the BCS started in 1998 is 46-11. Oh...I used the terms "I-A" and "I-AA" because 2007 will be the first time FCS and FBS teams face each other.

The closest game involving such teams was 10-3 Virginia's 24-12 win over William & Mary in 1989. The next closest...and also the closest since the start of the BCS...was 10-3 Washington State's 45-28 win over Montana State in 2002.

JohnStOnge
July 10th, 2007, 08:48 PM
I like what a YSU poster said. Sooner or later a FCS team will beat a top 10 FBS team, it might as well be Labor Day weekend.

I'd love to see it happen, but I've always heard that no I-AA ever even beat a top 25 I-A. And, while I don't have all the I-AA vs. I-A results in a database, I do have all I-AA playoff teams vs. I-A results. The picture isn't pretty when it comes to "major" teams that finished with winning records. It's 1-67-1. And the one win (by the Citadel in 1990) came over a 6-5 team (South Carolina).

When I say "major" teams I mean teams from programs that formed the BCS leagues and also teams that have joined the BCS leagues since 1998 (like Louisville). But I'm only counting "newbies" like Louisville as a "majors" after their entry into the the BCS world.

If you look at the record of I-AA playoff teams vs. all I-As that finished with winning records, it's 16-116-2.

Terrible, I know, but that's the reality. A FCS (formerly I-AA) win over a really good BCS (formerly I-A) squad is a very long shot. If you're talking about a relatively bad BCS squad, it's not so horrible. The record of I-AA playoff teams against "major" squads that finished with losing records is 24-48 (8-19 against BCS league teams with losing records since the start of the BCS). So you're talking about roughly one in three games.

But a really good BCS league squad? Very unlikely.

And, look, you can see that with App State's two championship squads. Two consecutive national championships...but 0-3 against BCS teams. That includes a 13 point loss to a 3-9 NC State team and a 28 point loss to a 7-5 Kansas team.

ASU_Chad
July 10th, 2007, 09:42 PM
App got respect the moment we got invited. Michigan has never played a FCS opponent before and we get the honor of being the first team in our subdivision to play at the Big House. That is plenty enough respect to put a grin on this Mountaineer's face!

Mr. C
July 10th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Here is a quote for you:

"If we hadn't won back-to-back national championships, there is no way that Michigan would have scheduled this game."

-Jerry Moore in a article last month in the Boone weekly newspaper, The High Country Press.

Another Jerry Moore quote:

"We will prepare for Michigan the same way we prepare for every game. We are going up there to try and win."

Jerry Moore is extremely excited about going to Michigan, the one Big 10 stadium he hasn't coached in during his long and distinguished career.

JohnStOnge
July 11th, 2007, 06:29 AM
App State did play a very impressive game in losing 24-0 to what I think was a very talented LSU squad in 2005. I don't even know what Michigan's got going into the 2007 but I doubt the Wolverines are going to be notably more talented than the 2005 Tiger squad was. Different App State team, but maybe it can muster that kind of effort. I don't think 24-0 was not indicative of how well the Mountaineers played in that one. I think the game should've been closer.

OL FU
July 11th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Wha? Then what the F--- are we playing the game for? I'll wager that the ASU veterans will be playing to win. Ain't no way this will be the BLOWOUT that Mich. fans think. I predict ASU puts a scare into Mich. - we might not win, but it will be a good game.

In all seriousness, ASU has nothing to lose & everything to gain. Mich. has lots to lose. ASU can go up there & have fun & play hard & learn about being in a tight spot. All the pressure will be on the Wolverines. For Mich., if its a close game, as I predict, the Mich. alumni will probably begin screaming for their coach's head on a platter. If we actually win, there's no telling what they'll do - probably scream for their Chancellor's head too.

In case you folks didn't understand, I fainted at the idea that ASU was not going to win. I just can't imagine them losing. I have to get better picturesxlolx

Sir William
July 11th, 2007, 07:52 AM
I'd love to see it happen, but I've always heard that no I-AA ever even beat a top 25 I-A. And, while I don't have all the I-AA vs. I-A results in a database, I do have all I-AA playoff teams vs. I-A results. The picture isn't pretty when it comes to "major" teams that finished with winning records. It's 1-67-1. And the one win (by the Citadel in 1990) came over a 6-5 team (South Carolina).

1983: Furman beat a then-ranked Georgia Tech team on a last-minute field goal, 17-14. I think Tech was ranked something like 19th.

CharlestonAppFan
July 11th, 2007, 08:23 AM
App's problem with this Michigan game is that it is the 1st game of the year. That's always been an issue when we play FBS teams; all the games (excluding LSU) are scheduled in the first 1/4 of the year when the playbook isn't fully open, OL & DL lines haven't fully meshed as of yet, new starters haven't developed into their momentum, etc. I think this is an issue for all of FCS teams and it's one reason why FBS teams like to schedule these games when they do. Although on the other hand, it works both ways as well.

Now how many of you guys would have liked to have seen this game in October rather than August/September? I know, you run the risk of injuring your players before the playoffs, but purely from a competitive standpoint, I believe App would give Michigan much more of a game.

My case in point, the LSU game was much more competitive because of what I mentioned above. At least from my standpoint the past two years, I think App could have matched up better with most FBS teams. Just my opinion....

GoGuins
July 11th, 2007, 08:44 AM
App's problem with this Michigan game is that it is the 1st game of the year. That's always been an issue when we play FBS teams; all the games (excluding LSU) are scheduled in the first 1/4 of the year when the playbook isn't fully open, OL & DL lines haven't fully meshed as of yet, new starters haven't developed into their momentum, etc. I think this is an issue for all of FCS teams and it's one reason why FBS teams like to schedule these games when they do. Although on the other hand, it works both ways as well.

Michigan is in the same boat

GannonFan
July 11th, 2007, 09:21 AM
In all honesty, while Appy St is the two time defending champ, they don't match up well against Michigan. Michigan's strength is defending the run and I don't think Appy St is going to have any running game going in this game. Everyone brings up the LSU game as an example of how close things were, but Appy St had zero offense in that game too. If Michigan were weak against the run that would be one thing, but they aren't so I don't see Appt St moving the ball at all. I don't think Michigan breaks the scoreboard on offense, but they do have Manningham and a very veteran offense - Michigan will be top 10 for a reason. I see the game being 35-10, with Appy tacking one on late in the game.

CharlestonAppFan
July 11th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Michigan is in the same boat

xchinscratchx xchinscratchx I think I said that

CharlestonAppFan
July 11th, 2007, 09:43 AM
In all honesty, while Appy St is the two time defending champ, they don't match up well against Michigan. Michigan's strength is defending the run and I don't think Appy St is going to have any running game going in this game. Everyone brings up the LSU game as an example of how close things were, but Appy St had zero offense in that game too. If Michigan were weak against the run that would be one thing, but they aren't so I don't see Appt St moving the ball at all. I don't think Michigan breaks the scoreboard on offense, but they do have Manningham and a very veteran offense - Michigan will be top 10 for a reason. I see the game being 35-10, with Appy tacking one on late in the game.

I don't think we can win or put up a lot of points; I'm being realistic. However, we do have a very talented team but so does Michigan. My point was that I don't like this game being the first game of the year; all cylinders will probably not be clicking enough for us to generate what we need to push Michigan to the brink. I would have liked to have seen this game later on in the season as I think the outcome may be a little different for App (in a more positive way).

LSU didn't have much of an offense that night either, and if it weren't for missed field goals, a dropped TD pass, and other turnovers, App would have scored that night also and put a living nightmarish scare into LSU, moreso than it did.

Death Dealer
July 11th, 2007, 10:14 AM
1983: Furman beat a then-ranked Georgia Tech team on a last-minute field goal, 17-14. I think Tech was ranked something like 19th.Good job, Sir William! I was just about to post that game. Glad I checked to make sure noone else had! That was a very good Ga Tech team.

Sir William
July 11th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Good job, Sir William! I was just about to post that game. Glad I checked to make sure noone else had! That was a very good Ga Tech team.

That was a great game! Stanford Jennings ran all over the Tech defense. I think he had something like 168 yards that day. Bobby Lamb (or was it David Charpia?) hit Chas Fox for a TD. And Kevin Esvel (sp?) split the uprights for the game winning FG.

Sheridan's teams were awesome.

OL FU
July 11th, 2007, 10:32 AM
That was a great game! Stanford Jennings ran all over the Tech defense. I think he had something like 168 yards that day. Bobby Lamb (or was it David Charpia?) hit Chas Fox for a TD. And Kevin Esvel (sp?) split the uprights for the game winning FG.

Sheridan's teams were awesome.

I think Lamb played for an injured Charpia. I think

Sir William
July 11th, 2007, 10:34 AM
I think Lamb played for an injured Charpia. I think

Yeah, that's right. Thought I remembered it that way, too.

JohnStOnge
July 11th, 2007, 12:19 PM
. Everyone brings up the LSU game as an example of how close things were, but Appy St had zero offense in that game too. .

Actually, I think App State's offense...particularly its rushing offense...did very well in that game. That LSU team finished ranked 6th in I-A rushing defense at 91.5 ypg. App rushed for 176 yards on 36 carries (4.9 yards per carry). That allowed them to keep possession for 32:31 and keep their defense off the field.

What hurt them on offense was being 10 of 22 passing for only 80 yards. Even though they had drives, they always reached points where they needed to convert by passing and couldn't do it. And Richardson dropped what probably would've been a TD pass when LSU completely blew a coverage so that he was so wide open I couldn't see anybody else in the TV screen with him (and the LSU announcers said it would've been a TD if he'd caught it).

I listened to the game on the radio live then watched it on tape delay. During the radio call the LSU guys calling the game were clearly shocked at how well App State's offensive line played. I can remember hearing things like "another gaping hole" with clear incredulity in their voices.

I'm telling you, App played very well physically. They ran the ball on one of the best and most talented I-A run defenses in the country.

Now, whether the 2007 team can capture that kind of magic vs. Michigan or not is another question. Every game is different. But I think that 2005 App effort against LSU was one of the most impressive performances by a I-AA I ever saw. As I said, the final score doesn't really do justice to how well the Mountaineers played on the line of scrimmage both ways.

Black Saturday
July 11th, 2007, 12:24 PM
I agree- I think APP will have respect at the end of the game.

I do disagree, though, that they have nothing to lose. It would be very possible for one or more key players to be injured in that game (which I hope and pray does NOT happen), that could have a strong impact on at least a part of the rest of the season. That's my biggest concern for APP going into that game.

You know, I'll bet Michigan fans hope they don't lose any of their key players by injury lowly APP STATE with a season they could possibly win a BCS title.

SoCon48
July 11th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Actually, I think App State's offense...particularly its rushing offense...did very well in that game. That LSU team finished ranked 6th in I-A rushing defense at 91.5 ypg. App rushed for 176 yards on 36 carries (4.9 yards per carry). That allowed them to keep possession for 32:31 and keep their defense off the field.

What hurt them on offense was being 10 of 22 passing for only 80 yards. Even though they had drives, they always reached points where they needed to convert by passing and couldn't do it. And Richardson dropped what probably would've been a TD pass when LSU completely blew a coverage so that he was so wide open I couldn't see anybody else in the TV screen with him (and the LSU announcers said it would've been a TD if he'd caught it).

I listened to the game on the radio live then watched it on tape delay. During the radio call the LSU guys calling the game were clearly shocked at how well App State's offensive line played. I can remember hearing things like "another gaping hole" with clear incredulity in their voices.

I'm telling you, App played very well physically. They ran the ball on one of the best and most talented I-A run defenses in the country.

Now, whether the 2007 team can capture that kind of magic vs. Michigan or not is another question. Every game is different. But I think that 2005 App effort against LSU was one of the most impressive performances by a I-AA I ever saw. As I said, the final score doesn't really do justice to how well the Mountaineers played on the line of scrimmage both ways.

Thanks for putting some facts into LSU-ASU the argument. You were right on.

SoCon48
July 11th, 2007, 03:31 PM
You know, I'll bet Michigan fans hope they don't lose any of their key players by injury lowly APP STATE with a season they could possibly win a BCS title.

I keep thinking back to the year Western Carolina knocked the Bama QB out for the season. But also can't help but remember losing a key player in the LSU game (remarkably quick recovery though) .

already123
July 11th, 2007, 03:39 PM
the only way app wins is if they play a flawless game (complete with great situational awareness, schematics, and special teams superiority) and Mich COMPLETELY tanks....

AppMan
July 23rd, 2007, 09:10 PM
App State did play a very impressive game in losing 24-0 to what I think was a very talented LSU squad in 2005. I don't even know what Michigan's got going into the 2007 but I doubt the Wolverines are going to be notably more talented than the 2005 Tiger squad was. Different App State team, but maybe it can muster that kind of effort. I don't think 24-0 was not indicative of how well the Mountaineers played in that one. I think the game should've been closer.

The game was 14-0 going into the 4th quarter. ASU missed a short FG, had a ball dropped inside the 10, and Williams barely over threw wide open KR (LSU had blitzed both the FS and SS) at midfield with nobody, and I mean nobody standing between him and the goal line. At the worst ASU should have been down 14-13 at that point. BTW, ASU pulled the starters after one series into the 4th quarter.

Appaholic
July 23rd, 2007, 09:38 PM
I am of firm belief that we will win this game. I won't believe otherwise unless we actually lose.

You gotta have faith. Even if everyone else doesn't.

I'm with T-Dog......I'll concede defeat only when it's rammed down my throat at gunpoint! Regardless, I plan on drinking their beer at the tailgate and getting them hammered on home brew....that'll teach them to schedule us mountain boys!xprost2x

SoCon48
July 23rd, 2007, 09:49 PM
the only way app wins is if they play a flawless game (complete with great situational awareness, schematics, and special teams superiority) and Mich COMPLETELY tanks....

Gosh, I hope you guys have that much underestimation of ASU's strengths when NAU visits KBS on Sept 15.

CopperCat
July 23rd, 2007, 09:50 PM
I'm with T-Dog......I'll concede defeat only when it's rammed down my throat at gunpoint! Regardless, I plan on drinking their beer at the tailgate and getting them hammered on home brew....that'll teach them to schedule us mountain boys!xprost2x

You gotta ask yourself one question.......do ya feel lucky? Well do ya, APPFANS!!!!!

Sam Adams
July 24th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Lets not make too much of one game. App doesn't hold the FCS in the hands with this one game. Its just a football game. Hopefully App pulls an upset but if the heavily favored home team wins, that will have no impact on the seasons of the other FCS schools. Just like if Massachusetts beats boston college or doesn't.

GoGuins
July 24th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Maize n Brew's 2007 Michigan Football Preview: Inflicting Pain on Appalachian State

middle of page

http://maizenbrew.com/

Longrifle
July 24th, 2007, 09:01 AM
You gotta ask yourself one question.......do ya feel lucky? Well do ya, APPFANS!!!!!

Dang, I've got pistol envy.

Longrifle
July 24th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Lets not make too much of one game. App doesn't hold the FCS in the hands with this one game. Its just a football game. Hopefully App pulls an upset but if the heavily favored home team wins, that will have no impact on the seasons of the other FCS schools. Just like if Massachusetts beats boston college or doesn't.

That's the right perspective. In our division, it really doesn't mean anything.

By the way Sam Adams, I've been enjoying your summer ale.

SoCon48
July 24th, 2007, 10:57 AM
I don't think this game is the game of the century or anything, but if ASU happens to hang within 24 points, the rest of the FCS better look out.
If not, it will just be business as usual with an FCS-FBS game.

ball21
July 24th, 2007, 10:58 PM

Guess What!!

If ASU doesn't win I bet we come down to good old South Carolina and let our actions speak for ourselves as we take it out on your team !!

Talk is cheap and we have nothing to prove to you and anybody else, except we are the 2 X National Champions. If you want some of us we are not hard to find !! So Come out and play with the big boys and by the way where are excepted to finish in the SoCo?

Mark it on your calendar now- Oct 27th - ASU is coming to your town !!

Black and Gold