PDA

View Full Version : Major YSU Sports Announcement at 2pm Today

FlyYtown
July 9th, 2007, 10:41 AM
I found this out last night and didn't want to tell anyone until the media said something, and they did this morning, so without further ado:

There is a MAJOR and HISTORIC YSU Athletics Announcement at 2pm today at the Debartolo Stadium Club.

The announcement is said to be historic to the Athletic Dept, YSU, and the Mahoning Valley.

MR. CHICKEN
July 9th, 2007, 10:47 AM
COULD DUH 'GUINS BE SCARED O' NORFF DAKOTA STATE.......AN' HEADIN' FO' MID-AMERICA??.........xconfusedx.........BRAWQ?

mcveyrl
July 9th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Is there any chance this is "the big one"? Any rumblins in Y-town?

FlyYtown
July 9th, 2007, 10:51 AM
No-one seems to know. There two main rumors, either a move to I-A[MAC] or the announcement of the new indoor sports facility; which wasn't supposed to happen for sometime yet, like towards 2010.

Col Hogan
July 9th, 2007, 11:40 AM
No-one seems to know. There two main rumors, either a move to I-A[MAC] or the announcement of the new indoor sports facility; which wasn't supposed to happen for sometime yet, like towards 2010.

If it's YSU to the MAC, maybe people will stop putting UMass into the MAC...

What ever the announcement is, we await with anticipation......

UNHWildCats
July 9th, 2007, 11:45 AM
any local media outlets planning to have a broadcast of it online?

FlyYtown
July 9th, 2007, 11:53 AM
any local media outlets planning to have a broadcast of it online?

WFMJ.COM is the only local TV Station who can do online broadcasting of it, but I am not too sure if they will.

570WKBN.COM is the new home of YSU Sports on the Radio, they have a Live Stream and may indeed broadcast it live.

VINDY.COM should have the info up within minutes of it being announced.

DFW HOYA
July 9th, 2007, 12:06 PM
The YSU web site says it's to announce a seven figure gift to the capital campaign.

already123
July 9th, 2007, 12:07 PM
any i dea what t is gonna be about??

Lehigh Football Nation
July 9th, 2007, 12:11 PM
The YSU web site says it's to announce a seven figure gift to the capital campaign.

"Seven-figure deal announced to get Fly Y-Town to stop talking about moving to the MAC"

douglasdmb
July 9th, 2007, 12:18 PM
"Seven-figure deal announced to get Fly Y-Town to stop talking about moving to the MAC"

xlmaox

FlyYtown
July 9th, 2007, 12:28 PM
We'll put something on the website as soon after 2pm as we can!

Thanks!
wfmj
-----------------
Monday, July 9, 2 p.m. News conference in the DeBartolo Stadium Club at Stambaugh Stadium to announce a significant, seven–figure gift to the YSU Centennial Capital Campaign.

[This could mean any of the ideas I had put up on here though.]

MplsBison
July 9th, 2007, 01:00 PM
So are we talking like 9 million, or 2 million?

Be interesting to see who the Gateway would go after if YSU leaves. I know a school that would be a good replacement.

FlyYtown
July 9th, 2007, 01:01 PM
So are we talking like 9 million, or 2 million?

Be interesting to see who the Gateway would go after if YSU leaves. I know a school that would be a good replacement.
Nobody said we were leaving... I personally think its a major facilities improvement announcement.

MR. CHICKEN
July 9th, 2007, 01:02 PM
JAWORSKI HAS SOME ELIGIBLITY LEFT??xconfusedx xconfusedx AWQ??

bison95
July 9th, 2007, 01:05 PM
JAWORSKI HAS SOME ELIGIBLITY LEFT??xconfusedx xconfusedx AWQ??

xthumbsupx

bison95
July 9th, 2007, 01:05 PM
COULD DUH 'GUINS BE SCARED O' NORFF DAKOTA STATE.......AN' HEADIN' FO' MID-AMERICA??.........xconfusedx.........BRAWQ?

xnodx xnodx xnodx :D

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 9th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Hmmm... 2:35 and still no news??? Must be either a really big announcement or a lot of hot air... Where are the penguins fans with news?!

UNHWildCats
July 9th, 2007, 01:39 PM
maybe its central time?

89Hen
July 9th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Nobody said we were leaving... I personally think its a major facilities improvement announcement.
Agreed. IMO you don't tie major contributions to moving to I-A... you have to go about that the other way. Announce you're moving and then get the money. xthumbsupx

patssle
July 9th, 2007, 01:46 PM
maybe its central time?

or Pacific xlolx

Johnny5
July 9th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Hmmm... 2:35 and still no news??? Must be either a really big announcement or a lot of hot air... Where are the penguins fans with news?!

Nothing has been posted on Vindy.com/wfmj.com/wkbn.com yet....or for that matter YSU's website soo.....I dunno. I doubt it is a decision to move up to the FBS. Of course MPlsbison wants us to move up so the other Dakota schools can come to the Gateway party.

phillyAPP
July 9th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Agreed. IMO you don't tie major contributions to moving to I-A... you have to go about that the other way. Announce you're moving and then get the money. xthumbsupx

Its 3:04pm and no news yet !

we should have had a time lottery.

GGASU
July 9th, 2007, 02:11 PM
This is from the Youngstown website...

Monday, July 9, 2 p.m. News conference in the DeBartolo Stadium Club at Stambaugh Stadium to announce a significant, seven–figure gift to the YSU Centennial Capital Campaign.

UNHWildCats
July 9th, 2007, 02:12 PM
This is from the Youngstown website...

Yup, we had that much 2 hours ago :p

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 9th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Yup, we had that much 2 hours ago :p

We haven't xsmhx xbawlingx

BigApp
July 9th, 2007, 02:43 PM
maybe the AD is announcing he's leaving to take a lucrative position with the Sydney Car Centre...

MplsBison
July 9th, 2007, 02:44 PM
The way this thread was posted, you'd think something of the magnitude that would change the history of YSU sports for all time was about to happen.

UNHWildCats
July 9th, 2007, 02:46 PM
The way this thread was posted, you'd think something of the magnitude that would change the history of YSU sports for all time was about to happen.

Maybe there dropping football xlolx xlolx

trusty
July 9th, 2007, 02:48 PM
http://www.ysu.edu/sports/department/indoorcomplex.htm

Here is the link.

trusty
July 9th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I didn't realize that Tressel was at YSU for 15 years before taking over at OSU. It is good to see a coach give a gift like this to his old program.

carney2
July 9th, 2007, 02:54 PM
That's it?!! We got all worked up over a freakin' practice facility?!!!!!

I hope you YSU guys are going to keep us posted with a flush by flush of the Johns at Stambaugh.

89Hen
July 9th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Congrats on the money and proposed facility, but agreed... this is major news? xeyebrowx

ysuallthetime
July 9th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Well the provost at YSU died on vacation, so I guess anything thats a positive story at YSU right now is major news as YSU goes through some tough times losing a very important figure to the university.

The press conference was also about the practice facility, but also about raising $36 million for expansion of the university and what not. It is major news as the university looks to expand further within the next 5 years.

douglasdmb
July 9th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Not the news I was expecting, but this is definitely good news for YSU. Congrats!

Also, I saw that the Tressels and the Watts had donated a combined $1 million. Has the university raised any more money toward the necessary $3 million to build the facility?

FlyYtown
July 9th, 2007, 03:25 PM
You guys act like this is not huge, the head coach of The Ohio St. University, along with a few others, donated $1 million to YSU for a new indoor practice facility, something 95% of the FCS schools DO NOT HAVE.

Youngstown State University announced today that Frank and Norma Watson and Jim and Ellen Tressel have donated a combined $1 million to YSU’s Centennial Capital Campaign to help fund a new indoor athletics practice facility.
“We are appreciative to the Watsons and Tressels for their continued generosity and support of Youngstown State University and its students,” YSU President David C. Sweet said. “This gift reflects their strong commitment to the future of YSU, the city of Youngstown and the entire Mahoning Valley.”
Release (http://ysusports.com/department/indoorcomplex.htm) | News Conference Audio (http://ysusports.com/broadcast/indoor.mp3)

PMB4Life
July 9th, 2007, 03:26 PM
WE have an indoor practice facility.... :D :D :D

douglasdmb
July 9th, 2007, 03:36 PM
You guys act like this is not huge, the head coach of The Ohio St. University, along with a few others, donated $1 million to YSU for a new indoor practice facility, something 95% of the FCS schools DO NOT HAVE.

Youngstown State University announced today that Frank and Norma Watson and Jim and Ellen Tressel have donated a combined $1 million to YSU’s Centennial Capital Campaign to help fund a new indoor athletics practice facility.
“We are appreciative to the Watsons and Tressels for their continued generosity and support of Youngstown State University and its students,” YSU President David C. Sweet said. “This gift reflects their strong commitment to the future of YSU, the city of Youngstown and the entire Mahoning Valley.”
Release (http://ysusports.com/department/indoorcomplex.htm) | News Conference Audio (http://ysusports.com/broadcast/indoor.mp3)

I understand that, but you had us going from about 10 this morning and had us built up pretty high for the announcement.

Seawolf97
July 9th, 2007, 03:46 PM
:) :) Congratulations to Youngstown. A donation of that amount is more than significant for any school. Good luck with your program!

pens4life
July 9th, 2007, 03:59 PM
That's it?!! We got all worked up over a freakin' practice facility?!!!!!

I hope you YSU guys are going to keep us posted with a flush by flush of the Johns at Stambaugh.
Not all the YSU fans worked up. It was fly that had you all worked up.

ysuallthetime
July 9th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Not the news I was expecting, but this is definitely good news for YSU. Congrats!

Also, I saw that the Tressels and the Watts had donated a combined $1 million. Has the university raised any more money toward the necessary $3 million to build the facility?

The practice facility is part of a University expansion plan over the next 5 years, the 1st pahse of the plan is the indoor, and expansion and improvements to the university will come. YSU has raised $32 million out of the $43 million needed for the improvements and expansion of the school.

FlyYtown
July 9th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Not all the YSU fans worked up. It was fly that had you all worked up.

When I saw the email release last night, it said Major and Historic to YSU and the Mahoning Valley... I can't help people thought that would mean us moving to the BCS; I had even mentioned that I thought it was the indoor practice facility!

PaladinFan
July 9th, 2007, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=FlyYtown;588859]You guys act like this is not huge, the head coach of The Ohio St. University, along with a few others, donated $1 million to YSU for a new indoor practice facility, something 95% of the FCS schools DO NOT HAVE.
QUOTE]

Furman can play outside in March and it cost us nothing!

AggieFinn
July 9th, 2007, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=FlyYtown;588859]You guys act like this is not huge, the head coach of The Ohio St. University, along with a few others, donated $1 million to YSU for a new indoor practice facility, something 95% of the FCS schools DO NOT HAVE.

Some of us don't really need it. Good for YSU though -- another gem in the crown surrounding football in Ytown. xthumbsupx

MplsBison
July 9th, 2007, 04:47 PM
This is neither major or historic.

What a used car salesman.

mcveyrl
July 9th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I found this out last night and didn't want to tell anyone until the media said something, and they did this morning, so without further ado:

There is a MAJOR and HISTORIC YSU Athletics Announcement at 2pm today at the Debartolo Stadium Club.

The announcement is said to be historic to the Athletic Dept, YSU, and the Mahoning Valley.

In FlyTown's defense (I can't even believe I started a post like that) his original post merely said it would "be historic to the Athletic Dept, YSU, and the Mahoning Valley."

This probably qualifies. It's not historic for FCS in general, I don't think, but that was never promised. I do think it's a big deal that Tressell gave, though.

Johnny5
July 9th, 2007, 05:33 PM

to our university it is

youwouldno
July 9th, 2007, 05:44 PM
yawn

FlyYtown
July 9th, 2007, 07:11 PM
yawn

Go ahead and yawn. I doubt you will see any of your former coaches come and donate $1 million to your program, even when they are playing in 6 weeks.

When you get new turf at the FargoDome, that will be very much major and historic to NDSU, and guess what, I will actually care so my penguins aren't at risk playing there!

GO PENGUINS

Col Hogan
July 9th, 2007, 07:16 PM
This is great news for YSU, from a facilities point of view, and the fact that a former coach who is about to play them in the season opener made such a sizable donation...

Having said that, it was built up a little too much...

A thread following the announcement, with the proper level of excitement and glee from the YSU supporters would have sufficed...

The buildup was a little much...

BigApp
July 9th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I think it's terrific news!

katstrapper
July 9th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Any donation is big news, but calling a massive news conference and making a bunch of hub-bub is a bit overboard. Nice gift though. Nice to see programs adding to their facilities.

FlyYtown
July 9th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Any donation is big news, but calling a massive news conference and making a bunch of hub-bub is a bit overboard. Nice gift though. Nice to see programs adding to their facilities.

When Jim Tressel is in town, you do such things as big press conferences.

ysuallthetime
July 9th, 2007, 10:39 PM

I think that adding an athletic facility should involve a press conference. To know why YSU holds a press conference is because Youngstown has a very decent size news outlet with TV, ink and radio. Its the 2nd biggest media market east of Columbus in the state

BearsCountry
July 9th, 2007, 10:48 PM
MSU would have a press conference if we got a gift like that with a name like that. You almost have to from the public relations standpoint.

Tod
July 9th, 2007, 11:35 PM
I think this is great news for YSU! Congrats!

Very cool of Tressel to remember his roots, again.

Now, let's just hope YSU can have a good showing against OSU. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

douglasdmb
July 10th, 2007, 12:01 AM
I think this is great news for YSU! Congrats!

Very cool of Tressel to remember his roots, again.

Now, let's just hope YSU can have a good showing against OSU. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

No doubt he had to have played the biggest role in getting YSU to come to the Horseshoe for $1.5 million over the next two years, also.

GoGuins
July 10th, 2007, 11:02 AM
When Jim Tressel is in town, you do such things as big press conferences.

Oh sorry, I forgot to run over to the campus yesterday and bow in his presencexrolleyesx

FlyYtown
July 10th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Oh sorry, I forgot to run over to the campus yesterday and bow in his presencexrolleyesx

May wanna update that signature. Jermaine Taylor is truly a sissy because he says he wants the fight at 168, not 160.... And Pavlik won't take that BS, he wants the title... Should be interesting, JT IS A WHIMP!

ysubigred
July 10th, 2007, 12:39 PM

Tressel who?? All,,, the little guy in the sweater vest LOL!!!

Seriously, cool jesture from a class act (family).

Now the next step is to put the darn thing to good use and win another ring for the thumb xbowx

Hey Go! Is that the cooking lady in your avatar ??? Noticed she's been eating a little too much of her own cooking lately.

ysubigred
July 10th, 2007, 12:42 PM
May wanna update that signature. Jermaine Taylor is truly a sissy because he says he wants the fight at 168, not 160.... And Pavlik won't take that BS, he wants the title... Should be interesting, JT IS A WHIMP!

xeekx I had to read you post twice!! I thought you was calling St. Tressel a WHIMP LOL!! xlolx

birdsflyhigh
July 10th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Great for YSU, but the cloak-and-dagger mystery hype by Flytown is kind of sad. Like many others have posted.....YAWN. xcoffeex

FlyYtown
July 10th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Great for YSU, but the cloak-and-dagger mystery hype by Flytown is kind of sad. Like many others have posted.....YAWN. xcoffeex

Read the title of the thread buddy, and read some of my suggestions I posted. I knew we were getting an indoor facility, but I doubted that is what the announcement was for because I had heard it wouldn't go up til 2010 or so... That is why I brought up the other plans.

No Yawn--GREAT NEWS FOR YSU!

birdsflyhigh
July 10th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Once again...YAWN! xtwocentsx

FlyYtown
July 10th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Once again...YAWN! xtwocentsx

It will only benefit us in the long run as we get more and more athletes who like the idea of practicing inside a toasty 70 degrees come the late season, when other teams have to practice outside, like you guys over there in Normal.

What will it be, 4 wins in a row for the 'Guins if they get it done this year vs. the Birds?
xtwocentsx xtwocentsx xtwocentsx

douglasdmb
July 10th, 2007, 04:30 PM
It will only benefit us in the long run as we get more and more athletes who like the idea of practicing inside a toasty 70 degrees come the late season, when other teams have to practice outside, like you guys over there in Normal.

What will it be, 4 wins in a row for the 'Guins if they get it done this year vs. the Birds?
xtwocentsx xtwocentsx xtwocentsx

Hooray for pissing contests!

birdsflyhigh
July 10th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Fly, I DO respect you in that you're a TRUE YSU Penguin fan. I salute you because you're all about the Penguins. COOL!

But I don't have your rose-colored Penguin glasses on for this season. If you think that YSU is going to come into ISU's Hancock Stadium (which should be packed and absolutely rocking) and take down the Redbirds, then power to you. I do NOT think that is going to happen.

In fact, I see YSU going down to both ISU and UNI. I've got the Penguins coming in possibly as low as fourth in the Gateway. If YSU goes down to SIU (along with ISU and UNI), then it'll be nervous time in Youngstown when the playoff selections come around.

Like I said, power to you for being a die-hard Penguin fan, but I have a suspicion that YSU may not have the season it's currently being hyped for.
Who knows? I do know that Gateway football won't miss a beat this season, and the battles between the top teams are going to be INTENSE!

xnodx

FlyYtown
July 10th, 2007, 04:36 PM
But I don't have your rose-colored Penguin glasses on for this season. If you think that YSU is going to come into ISU's Hancock Stadium (which should be packed and absolutely rocking) and take down the Redbirds, then power to you. I do NOT think that is going to happen.

Buddy--Illinois State is playing @ Stambaugh this year; this one isn't going to be at a sold out Normal where we beat you guys up last year.

birdsflyhigh
July 10th, 2007, 04:39 PM
All the sweeter then, when the Birds take the wind out of the Penguin's sails...right before the YSU faithful.

Why the heck did I even compliment you Fly? :D

FlyYtown
July 10th, 2007, 04:41 PM
All the sweeter then, when the Birds take the wind out of the Penguin's sails...right before the YSU faithful.

Why the heck did I even compliment you Fly? :D

LOL it's all fun and games my friend. You feel strong about your team, I feel strong about my team: Let's keep it that way. I love the new turf and what you guys are doing at your place; and I like the place we got right now. Last year I had ILSU as my preseason #1 and still feel they will be strong this year, but if YSU is anything like last year, I think we have the edge.

Go Guins and the Gateway!

ysuallthetime
July 10th, 2007, 11:34 PM
If you think that YSU is going to come into ISU's Hancock Stadium (which should be packed and absolutely rocking) and take down the Redbirds, then power to you. I do NOT think that is going to happen.

Wait did you not watch the YSU Illinois State game @ ISU last season. Packed house everyone said we wouldnt win??? And we beat ISU handidly? After losing to us twice last season you are still talking?

Keeper
July 11th, 2007, 04:51 AM
There is indeed precious little news this time of year (sigh).

Almost as thrilling as the Bison commercial update.

At least I got to see a gorgeous spoon-lickin............
hey! Isn't that Rachel Ray???

Tribe4SF
July 11th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Wow!!!xeekx Eight pages on this!?!?

Things are slow.xcoffeex

MR. CHICKEN
July 11th, 2007, 06:01 AM
COME ON.....AUGUST 30th..........xrotatehxxnodxxrotatehx......BRAWK!