PDA

View Full Version : SDSU Exceeding Expectations

TexasTerror
July 9th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Some schools can do it right. Other schools can not. SDSU has obviously done the right things to make the transition to Div I work...
-----------
5 years after D-I decision, SDSU exceeds projections

Scholarships, budgets for athletics have doubled
By Terry Vandrovec
[email protected]
Published: July 9, 2007

BROOKINGS - In February 2002, a Florida-based consulting firm called Carr Sports Associates released a hefty report titled, "Considerations for Division I Athletics at South Dakota State University."

By the time the school competed in its first NCAA Division I contest 21/4 years later, the document was outdated.

The primary reason: When the South Dakota Board of Regents approved SDSU's departure from Division II in December 2002, it ruled that the school's athletic department would not be allowed to operate in the red, period - let alone by six figures for four consecutive years, as the Carr report suggested would be necessary.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070709/NEWS/707090330/1001

RabidRabbit
July 9th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Some schools can do it right. Other schools can not. SDSU has obviously done the right things to make the transition to Div I work...
-----------
5 years after D-I decision, SDSU exceeds projections

Scholarships, budgets for athletics have doubled
By Terry Vandrovec
[email protected]

BROOKINGS - In February 2002, a Florida-based consulting firm called Carr Sports Associates released a hefty report titled, "Considerations for Division I Athletics at South Dakota State University."

By the time the school competed in its first NCAA Division I contest 21/4 years later, the document was outdated.

The primary reason: When the South Dakota Board of Regents approved SDSU's departure from Division II in December 2002, it ruled that the school's athletic department would not be allowed to operate in the red, period - let alone by six figures for four consecutive years, as the Carr report suggested would be necessary.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070709/NEWS/707090330/1001

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx Thanks TT!!! Your abilities to find these stories about all of FCS is GREAT! xbowx xbowx xbowx

SDSU chose the right time to move up, and has scheduled tough opponents in all our sports. While we have shares of set backs, we have been generally very successful in ratcheting up to again compete with our "equals"

Having a like minded ex NCC school, both aggies, moving together helped immensely.

While at the Argus Leader site, enjoy the video with AD Fred Oien and the two basketball coaches. xwhistlex xwhistlex

NDSUFREAK
July 9th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Right along side with NDSU in the exceeding part!!! Once again, SDSU is one hell of a partner in the transition!!

89rabbit
July 9th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Here is a companion piece:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070709/NEWS/707090331

Goals for next 5 years: Start building projects, add assistant coaches

By Terry Vandrovec
[email protected]

BROOKINGS - The life span of the Carr report, South Dakota State's five-year road map for the NCAA Division I transition, has expired.

So what's the plan for the next five years in terms of scholarships, facilities and budgets?

A worksheet given to coaches projects 222 available scholarships during the 2011-12 school year - 20.2 shy of the D-I maximum in the sports the school offers. Any more might require adding a women's sport, Athletic Director Fred Oien said, and that hasn't been discussed.

SDSU published a 25-year facility plan roughly five years ago. The projects that have yet to begin: new football grandstands, an outdoor track, a multisport indoor practice facility, and a student athletic development center that would house the football, baseball, softball, soccer and track programs. The development center probably is next on the agenda. That will be driven by donor dollars and the approval of policymakers, Oien said.

With scholarship additions eventually slowing, travel becoming more predictable because of conference affiliation and the Title IX projects nearing completion, the budget should level off - in theory. However, Oien doesn't foresee that.

In terms of staffing, adding full-time assistants in baseball, softball and wrestling are short-term goals, an academic counselor will begin in 2009-10 and one more assistant each in men's and women's basketball will be added within five years as required by the Summit League. . . . (read more)

Also, here is a link to the video that Rabid Rabbit mentioned:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070709/VIDEO/70702025

already123
July 9th, 2007, 12:09 PM
will it happen?

BEAR
July 9th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Here is a companion piece:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070709/NEWS/707090331

Goals for next 5 years: Start building projects, add assistant coaches

By Terry Vandrovec
[email protected]

BROOKINGS - The life span of the Carr report, South Dakota State's five-year road map for the NCAA Division I transition, has expired.

So what's the plan for the next five years in terms of scholarships, facilities and budgets?

A worksheet given to coaches projects 222 available scholarships during the 2011-12 school year - 20.2 shy of the D-I maximum in the sports the school offers. Any more might require adding a women's sport, Athletic Director Fred Oien said, and that hasn't been discussed.

SDSU published a 25-year facility plan roughly five years ago. The projects that have yet to begin: new football grandstands, an outdoor track, a multisport indoor practice facility, and a student athletic development center that would house the football, baseball, softball, soccer and track programs. The development center probably is next on the agenda. That will be driven by donor dollars and the approval of policymakers, Oien said.

With scholarship additions eventually slowing, travel becoming more predictable because of conference affiliation and the Title IX projects nearing completion, the budget should level off - in theory. However, Oien doesn't foresee that.

In terms of staffing, adding full-time assistants in baseball, softball and wrestling are short-term goals, an academic counselor will begin in 2009-10 and one more assistant each in men's and women's basketball will be added within five years as required by the Summit League. . . . (read more)

Also, here is a link to the video that Rabid Rabbit mentioned:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070709/VIDEO/70702025

Geez! UCA is only 100 years old..I can't imagine planning 25 years ahead with the facilities! But I guess you frozen rabbits have to because of the strong winters huh? So that's one building every year for 25 years? xlolx Kinda like lego blocks. Do you employ penguins to help build those buildings? xlolx

89rabbit
July 9th, 2007, 12:59 PM
I suspect that you are only trying to be funny but you do understand how Master Plans work don't you? You try and project what your needs will be in the future so that you can prepare ahead of time for them.

All of the projects mentioned are short term plans, within the next 5 years or so. The new football stands may be more in the 7-10 year range but are a great example of why you plan for the future - the current plan call for a 16,000 capacity horse shoe that can be expanded to 30,000 + down the road. By planning ahead you create a design that can grow with the University rather then build a stadium that is obsolete 10 years after it is built.

In the long range plans (but still in the 25 year window) you would find the replacement of Frost Arena.

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics7/400/AG/AGAUCWMIAYOMHBL.20070615191135.jpg

Great on-campus venue that seats 8,000. It was built in 1973 and still has lots of life left in it but in 25 years it will be old and it will be time to replace it and planning for that day and being ready for it, is just smart.

Sorry if I come across harsh it is not my intent.

PMB4Life
July 9th, 2007, 03:23 PM
The checkerboard baselines have to go, though. :)

89rabbit
July 9th, 2007, 04:38 PM
The checkerboard baselines have to go, though. :)

They match our endzones at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium. xthumbsupx

http://www3.sdstate.edu/ClassLibrary/Page/Images/Data/8214.jpg

yote4ever
July 9th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I suspect that you are only trying to be funny but you do understand how Master Plans work don't you? You try and project what your needs will be in the future so that you can prepare ahead of time for them.

All of the projects mentioned are short term plans, within the next 5 years or so. The new football stands may be more in the 7-10 year range but are a great example of why you plan for the future - the current plan call for a 16,000 capacity horse shoe that can be expanded to 30,000 + down the road. By planning ahead you create a design that can grow with the University rather then build a stadium that is obsolete 10 years after it is built.

In the long range plans (but still in the 25 year window) you would find the replacement of Frost Arena.

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics7/400/AG/AGAUCWMIAYOMHBL.20070615191135.jpg

Great on-campus venue that seats 8,000. It was built in 1973 and still has lots of life left in it but in 25 years it will be old and it will be time to replace it and planning for that day and being ready for it, is just smart.

Sorry if I come across harsh it is not my intent.

That picture reminded me of the last time that USD & SDSU played basketball in Vermillion. Great memories that will be rekindled soon.
http://www.usdcoyotes.com/images/gallery/dome/fullsize/big_crowd_shot.jpg

BEAR
July 9th, 2007, 05:45 PM
xlolx xlolx Hey Rabbits, it was sarcasm. No offense taken. My shot at humor fell flat I guess. xlolx I was just thinking about the name Frost and how South Dakota is so cold...that's all. Hey, I lived in Maine and we had a Senator named Olympia Snow. :D xthumbsupx xeyebrowx

89rabbit
July 9th, 2007, 09:38 PM
I thought you were, but I was having one of "those" days and couldn't be sure. Sorry. :o

BEAR
July 9th, 2007, 11:02 PM
I thought you were, but I was having one of "those" days and couldn't be sure. Sorry. :o

No Prob. After you guys beat us, I thought it would be a long year. I mean travel to SDSU, UC Davis, SHSU, Georgia Southern and SFA among others booked our kids on the road like 10,000 miles last year. It was only appropriate I take a shot at an opponent we will have at our house this year! Darn, the team we had last year is gone..xconfusedx xlolx But good luck with that 25 year plan thing..xcoffeex xlolx (humor therexthumbsupx )

89rabbit
July 9th, 2007, 11:09 PM
No Prob. After you guys beat us, I thought it would be a long year. I mean travel to SDSU, UC Davis, SHSU, Georgia Southern and SFA among others booked our kids on the road like 10,000 miles last year. It was only appropriate I take a shot at an opponent we will have at our house this year! Darn, the team we had last year is gone..xconfusedx xlolx But good luck with that 25 year plan thing..xcoffeex xlolx (humor therexthumbsupx )

Thanks for the help. xlolx

TexasTerror
July 10th, 2007, 06:28 AM
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx Thanks TT!!! Your abilities to find these stories about all of FCS is GREAT! xbowx xbowx xbowx

Not a problem! It's the only way to stay educated on FCS and try to know what's going on, so I can communicative effectively with other folks on this board and through my column...

I read a lot of boards as well... xnodx