PDA

View Full Version : Sam Adds TxTech Transfer to Give SHSU Best QB Depth in I-AA

TexasTerror
August 20th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Phillip Daugherty has transferred from Texas Tech, where he was the 3rd string QB last year as a freshman to Quarterback University, also known as Sam Houston State. He was the Class 3A Player of the Year in 2002 and ranked as a 4 star recruit by Rivals. He was Tech's third-string QB last year. He'll only be a sophomore.

According to our athletic site, he was named the Texas Class AAA "Player of the Year" after throwing for 3,277 yards and 34 touchdowns for Bridgeport in 2002, was a redshirt his true freshman year at Texas Tech in 2003 and was third on the depth chart last season but saw limited action. Daugherty quarterbacked the final series of the scrimmage.

http://texastech.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/daugherty_phillip00.html

SHSU QBs:
Noah Allen - Junior. Transferred from Oklahoma prior to 2004 season.
Brett Hicks - Sophomore, redshirted during 2003 season.
Jordan Reever - Freshman. Transfer from LSU. One of the best QBs in Texas HS football history, statistically.
Wade Pate - Sophomore. Started as a true freshman for the Kats in 2003, redshirted in 2004. Brother of Wes Pate, SFA record setting QB and NFL draft pick.

Simply put, with these five QBs, the cupboard is full at the QB position for three or four years to come. Each of these guys has potential to start for the Kats whether it this year or the years down the road.

Tribe4SF
August 20th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Interesting that all these guys would come in. Obviously some of them are never going to play. Most good players transfer with the idea of getting time. If the guy was third string at TT, he may be fifth string at SHSU. Seems an odd choice to me.

TexasTerror
August 20th, 2005, 02:54 PM
This guy was 3rd string as a redshirt freshman at Texas Tech last year behind Sonny Cumbie and Cody Hodges. Keep in mind Cumbie was a senior and Hodges was a junior last year.

I don't think Daughtry will be the #5 guy when it's all said and done. Not really sure how things are going to shakedown. No. 20 quarterback prospect in the country (Max Emfinger's Blue Chip Recruiting) and No. 23 quarterback prospect in the country (Rivals100.com). This guy has some lofty expectations coming over to Sam from Tech.

blackfordpu
August 20th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Now if we can only get some recievers to compliment our QB's we will be set.

How are they doing by the way, anyone know?

TexasTerror
August 20th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Now if we can only get some recievers to compliment our QB's we will be set. How are they doing by the way, anyone know?

Word on KatFans is praise all around for Malone. I think everyone in Bearkat Country are big fans of Stevie Smith as is, so that should be no surprise because he's such a versaitile player (could become the first Kat with 1000 recieving yards, 1000 rushing yards and 1000 return yards in Bearkat history this year).

We'll see what other people say after the next scrimmage.

blackfordpu
August 20th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Word on KatFans is praise all around for Malone. I think everyone in Bearkat Country are big fans of Stevie Smith as is, so that should be no surprise because he's such a versaitile player (could become the first Kat with 1000 recieving yards, 1000 rushing yards and 1000 return yards in Bearkat history this year).

We'll see what other people say after the next scrimmage.

Yes, but what I am reading is that Smith played at RB throughout the whole scrimmage.

Are they still looking at him as a reciever?

exbearkat
August 20th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Yes, but what I am reading is that Smith played at RB throughout the whole scrimmage.

Are they still looking at him as a reciever?
It's tough to say at this point, really. IMO, SS played RB for one of two possible reasons today: Whitten is comfortable with how the WR's have come into camp and performed and feels that Smith no longer needs to fill in the gaps OR SS played strictly because Godfrey didn't. That said, considering Johnson, Baca, and Mays were all active today you would think that Smith's services at RB weren't needed.

We'll know soon enough though.

kats89
August 20th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Interesting that all these guys would come in. Obviously some of them are never going to play. Most good players transfer with the idea of getting time. If the guy was third string at TT, he may be fifth string at SHSU. Seems an odd choice to me.

Not sure either why this kid decided to come to Sam Houston with all the QB's we have now. He looked very good in the scrimmage this morning for only being on campus for about 12 hours. He just got cleared last night and arrived on campus last night and was at practice this morning. He threw the ball VERY well.

blackfordpu
August 20th, 2005, 08:00 PM
I don't think the Kats have officially announced a starting QB yet. What are the chances of one of the new guys getting the nod over Allen? Better yet, what about the guys that have been with us for a year or two like Pate?

Is there a chance that they could knock Allen down the depth chart?

BCisforBobcatTX
August 20th, 2005, 08:36 PM
I wouldn't go ahead and dub Sam "QB U". None of these guys have proven anything except they couldn't make it at a I-A program. Maybe it should be called "Backup QB U". One reason all those guys decided to transfer to Sam may have been that they felt they could take the starting job from the other guys. It sure as hell wasn't for the location.

exbearkat
August 20th, 2005, 11:45 PM
I wouldn't go ahead and dub Sam "QB U". None of these guys have proven anything except they couldn't make it at a I-A program. Maybe it should be called "Backup QB U". One reason all those guys decided to transfer to Sam may have been that they felt they could take the starting job from the other guys. It sure as hell wasn't for the location.
Funny how when the conversation consists of SH having some sort of success, etc a lot of bobcat fans seem to make some sort of dumbass, pointless remark about something they usually know absolutely nothing about. Back ups or not, SH has more talent at the qb position than tsu-sm has or ever will have. Truth hurts doesn't it buddy?

BCisforBobcatTX
August 21st, 2005, 02:28 AM
On the contrary, "buddy", I thought Long should have won the Payton last year. The remark I made was relevant to the topic of this thread and simply my opinion. I don't expect you to be able to comprehend that, and I'm amazed you can even read since you're an ex-Bearkat so I won't hold it against you. Anyways, I pose this question to you: how many yards and td's have the current quarterbacks on Sam's roster thrown for combined at the college level? I don't feel like looking it up, and I know Terror likes to put his research skills on display, so I'll leave that to him or somebody else. Either way, I'm willing to wager that the answer is not a whole hell of a lot. Congratulations on picking up a stable of I-A quarterback transfers, but if I were ya'll, I wouldn't go off dubbing Sam "QB U" and saying they have the most depth at qb in all of I-AA juust yet. Good luck in the upcoming season. Let's try to make the T-State-SHSU game mean something at the end of the year.

TexasTerror
August 21st, 2005, 06:48 AM

Location? It actually has been. Noah Allen wanted to go to an I-AA close to home in Pearland. Where's the closest I-AA school? (*Jeopardy song*) Sam Houston State.

SHSU has a tougher starting job to claim than that of SFA and your fellas in Bobcat Country. Sam has a consistent track record of having the top WR(s) in the SLC and any QB around the nation knows if you wanna throw that pill around and get noticed, this is definitely the place (Chaloupka, McCown, Long).

Yes, your right. Not all guys have turned out. Vance Smith, an A&M transfer stunk it up. Luke Huard from North Carolina showed up and never saw the field due to academic reasons. However, Sam has had a pretty good success rate with Long, Chaloupka and McCown. Oh, Chaloupka was setting the stage on fire when Whitten was our offensive coordinator actually.

The better part about these transfers is that Allen, Reever and Daughtry are all coming in with SEVERAL years of eligibility left to learn the system. We have the best offensive coordinator in the SLC, James Ferguson, leading the show. I'd of been fine and dandy if he was our head coach as he was a finalist. He stuck on board and will continue to run that high-octane offense you folks in San Marcos and around the I-AA level are used to seeing...

sibiur
August 21st, 2005, 09:22 AM
...Grambling? They return Payton runner-up in Bruce Eugene. Is it correct that he has the most total yards of any returning QB?

His backup is Brandon Landers. Landers was named the SWAC Freshman of the Year last season after throwning for the most yards of any GSU freshman.

It's good to have a backup like that on the bench.

The 3rd string QB is Larry Kerlagen (sp?). He was an all-state performer out of Texas who red-shirted last season.

Not bad depth, eh?

TexasTerror
August 21st, 2005, 09:36 AM
...Grambling? They return Payton runner-up in Bruce Eugene. Is it correct that he has the most total yards of any returning QB?

Bruce Eugene, a Payton runner-up? Oh, your referring to 2003. Well, that's pretty solid then. Where was he in 2004?

His backup is Brandon Landers. Landers was named the SWAC Freshman of the Year last season after throwning for the most yards of any GSU freshman.

That's pretty solid too, though I'd say we have Wade Pate, who could be our #2 or #3 who played big in 2003 as a true freshman, thrown into the fire against Div I opponents and the always tough SLC slate.

The 3rd string QB is Larry Kerlagen (sp?). He was an all-state performer out of Texas who red-shirted last season. Not bad depth, eh?

Decent depth for sure, probably up there with the Kats, though we hade five QBs and your listing three. I'd say all of our QBs top your Larry Kerlagen guy except maybe Hicks. Reever is one of the top QBs in Texas HS football if you check the record books. Daughtry broke 3A records for career passing yardage and was all-State. Allen was ranked #3 behind Reggie McNeal (A&M starter) and Vincent Young (UT starter) coming out of HS.

Ronbo
August 21st, 2005, 10:24 AM
This seems to be a controversial decision having all these young stud QB's on the roster. A couple of them are going to become very unhappy with the lack of playing time. Sounds like some future quits will occur.

kats89
August 21st, 2005, 10:40 AM
This seems to be a controversial decision having all these young stud QB's on the roster. A couple of them are going to become very unhappy with the lack of playing time. Sounds like some future quits will occur.

Ronbo, I do agree on the number of QB's, but with the schedule we have this year and potential schedule for next year, we could be one game away from going to a 3rd string QB. IMO, I think something is up with TW getting all of these QB's. I am one that doesn't understand why the LSU transfer Reever and now Tx Tech transfer Daugherty decided to come to SHSU. Don't get me wrong, I am very excited about the depth, but it makes me wonder.

http://www.gobearkats.com/football/pics/front_fb_14.jpg

Allen will be our starter. He waited his turn last year and will light it up this season.

thadude45
August 21st, 2005, 10:59 AM
I would go ahead and Dub Sam Houston as Dumb A$$ U because why would all of those dang QB's go to Sam. Only one gets to play. Stupid.

Sam_Kats
August 21st, 2005, 11:17 AM
I don't expect you to be able to comprehend that, and I'm amazed you can even read since you're an ex-Bearkat so I won't hold it against you.

Sounds like a mature adult to me. Just another example of how the bobcats cannot stand any success to come SH's way. You sit here & dog our transfers when, in reality, your "savior" Nealy is a transfer from U of H.

And about our game meaning something...hell, it meant something last year. You guys could have beat SH and shared the title. You lost...no trophy...no playoffs...another losing season in San Marcos. What now? Let's fire our coach. I know, let's change our name. Let's cry & pout about how we want to be in the Sun Belt Conference even though the I-AA nation has no idea who we are!

Ronbo
August 21st, 2005, 11:18 AM
Montana reportedly was contacted by 20+ potential I-A QB's thinking of transferring and only brought in junior Bowling Green back up Jason Washington. We have a recruited schollie RS freshman, a non schollie soph, and a true freshman schollie recruit. This spreads out the kids 1 year apart and avoids to some extent any serious QB controversy.

The most likely controversy will happen in two years between then junior Cole Bergquist and sophmore Clint Stapp. Those guys are the RS freshman now and the true freshman. Both kids have great potential.

TxState_GO_CATS!
August 21st, 2005, 12:08 PM
Sounds like a mature adult to me. Just another example of how the bobcats cannot stand any success to come SH's way. You sit here & dog our transfers when, in reality, your "savior" Nealy is a transfer from U of H.

Yeah, I don't really understand why ALL these QBs would want to go to Sam at the same time, but whatever.

Who ever said Nealy was our "savior?" And who's dogging your transfers? Sounds like you're putting words in people's mouths.

And about our (the bobcats) not being able to "stand any success to come SH's way," if I remember correctly it's always YOU GUYS who feel "threatened" by any success that may come TxSt.'s way. If you need examples, just see www.bobcatfans.com and browse many of the bearkat posts.

And about our game meaning something...hell, it meant something last year. You guys could have beat SH and shared the title. You lost...no trophy...no playoffs...another losing season in San Marcos. What now? Let's fire our coach. I know, let's change our name. Let's cry & pout about how we want to be in the Sun Belt Conference even though the I-AA nation has no idea who we are!

Yes, we lost last year. Even if we did beat you guys, we probably wouldn't have made the playoffs (would have had a 6-5 record, though all of the losses were to tough teams). Also, what coach did we fire? (Are you referring to one of our OCs?) I'm guessing you're referring to 2003 when Manny Matsakis was running the team--the team that beat your bearkats, btw. If not, then I think you're a little confused. And does it really matter if no one in I-AA knows who we are? We had a plan to move to Div. I-A and if that happened, I don't see why it would matter. No disrespect to the I-AA community, but would Auburn care if someone in D-IAA didn't know who they were? A more relevant question would be how many D-IAA fans can name 20 Div. II teams without looking it up? I'm not saying that to sound arrogant. I'm just saying that teams naturally only care about those schools who they are competing against, hence the Sam/TxSt. mess.

Go ahead...keep bringing up the name change. Fact is that Sam Houston State University has changed its name many times and it was basically for the same reasons that Texas State did (to reflect its new image). http://www.shsu.edu/students/guide/history.html So maybe you should quit calling the kettle black?? Just a thought...

No one's crying and pouting about the Sun Belt Conference. In fact, from many of the posts I've read, many think that the Sun Belt Conference (outside of UNT and maybe Troy) is no better than I-AA.

Back to the topic, I don't see why any team would want to have all this potential confusion and such at QB. Just spells disaster. It would be sad for some of these talented Div. I-A transfers to not see playing time and end up transferring again--probably to a Div. II to avoid losing a year. But, I guess we'll see what happens. Good luck with that.

Sam_Kats
August 21st, 2005, 01:18 PM
I agree about all the transfer QB's...not sure what Whitten has up his sleeve, but that's why I'll be in my office on Monday morning & he'll be coaching a football team. Obviously, the man has a plan.

I'm guessing you're referring to 2003 when Manny Matsakis was running the team

Yes.

No disrespect to the I-AA community, but would Auburn care if someone in D-IAA didn't know who they were?

The difference here is that Auburn would win championship after championship here on the I-AA level. That would merit a school the right to consider the move to I-A. You guys are running from failure while trying to climb a ladder...just doesn't work. Your school is taking a resume with absolutely NO recent success at this level & trying to convince another conference that, due to your wonderful geography program & all the UT dropouts that commute from Austin to make up your 25k enrollment, that you're somehow better than the rest of the I-AA community.

And to that, I say...shut up & win! It is a joke to think that a school with ZERO Southland football titles and NO playoff experience in a decade (or more??) could compete with I-A's. But, you guys would know best. So, good luck with THAT!!

By the way, I am looking forward to my first game at Bobcat Stadium this year when the Kats come to town. Hope it will be for a ring.

beerkat
August 21st, 2005, 01:26 PM
All the QB's want to come to SHSU because of the passing offense and the great season we had last year. Ceteris peribus, would you go to a team that went 11-3 or 5-6 ?

Ronbo
August 21st, 2005, 02:32 PM
You go where you are going to see the field. I don't know one 5-6 starting QB that would trade places with a back up from an 11-3 team.

HPCAT
August 21st, 2005, 03:43 PM
Location? It actually has been. Noah Allen wanted to go to an I-AA close to home in Pearland. Where's the closest I-AA school? (*Jeopardy song*) Sam Houston State.

Wrong, You lose, the closest I-AA school to Pearland in beautiful Brazoria County is Texas Southern. Probably less than 20 minutes.

golionsgo
August 21st, 2005, 04:01 PM

I don't pretend to know what's going on at Sam Houston, but if we were taking that many transfers at the QB position, I would probably be a little concerned as to why. You don't just take a guy who's supposedly highly regarded and is looking for playing time, right before the season starts, if you're happy with what you already have on campus. Whitten must be one helluva psychologist if he can manage to keep all those guys happy.

BCisforBobcatTX
August 21st, 2005, 04:57 PM

I really could care less if you think I'm a mature adult or not. I don't lose sleep at night worrying what people on internet message boards think of me. As I said before, I wanted Long to win the Payton last year(which would be success going SH's way) and I was pulling for them in the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, Sam's our rival so if I could pick another SLC team to be successful ahead of them, I would, but hey, they were representing the SLC and the state of Texas so I pulled for them. I never dogged your transfers, and I have nothing against transfers. I think the rules involving transfers add a very interesting dynamic to I-AA football. All I said was that the transfers haven't done anything to prove they belong on a college football field(I'm still waiting on their stats for how many cumulative yards and td's the qb's on Sam's roster have). The only thing I think the Sam coach could be doing is bringing in as many as possible and figuring one was bound to be a hit.

By the way, as long as you're talking about nobody in I-AA knowing who we are, keep in mind that Sam's no powerhouse. Two outright SLC titles and one shared in 18 years, six winning seasons(in conference) and what? Three playoff appearances? It's better than how the Bobcats have fared, but I wouldn't go off getting cocky because you had your one good season for the decade. Ya'll were 2-9 what? Just three years ago?

Sam_Kats
August 21st, 2005, 05:22 PM
No one is claiming to be a powerhouse. Having said that, we are also not trying to move up to I-A. If Sam Houston hadn't sniffed the playoffs in a decade at the I-AA level & we were making a big fuss about how we should be I-A, what would you tell all of us??

:deadhorse

We're beating the poor dead horse here...we'll see how things shake out during the season and, you're right, I'm a Bearkat til the end, but I'll also be rooting for the SLC team representing in the playoffs.

Here's to a great season in the Southland!

TexasTerror
August 21st, 2005, 06:48 PM
Wrong, You lose, the closest I-AA school to Pearland in beautiful Brazoria County is Texas Southern. Probably less than 20 minutes.

That's Texas Southern. It's not a playoff-eligible school per say as the SWAC doesn't send teams yearly to the I-AA playoffs. Yes, it's closer, but seriously, why would he go there? Do they even have a full-schollie team yet by I-AA standards? Or am I confusing them with PV A&M on that note? They don't even have a homefield for football. Oh, guess Robertson Stadium is nice. SHSU is the closest legit I-AA school.

By the way, as long as you're talking about nobody in I-AA knowing who we are, keep in mind that Sam's no powerhouse. Two outright SLC titles and one shared in 18 years, six winning seasons(in conference) and what? Three playoff appearances? It's better than how the Bobcats have fared, but I wouldn't go off getting cocky because you had your one good season for the decade. Ya'll were 2-9 what? Just three years ago?

If you'd like to get facts right, we have four playoff appearances. 1986. 1990 (or 1991). 2001. 2004. One good season for the decade? The Kats are up to two since 2000. I'd say things are looking very good for another deep I-AA run 2006 when Noah Allen is a senior and we get some more seasoned WRs (through playing time, another transfer or two and another solid WR recruiting class).

And you know what, Sam has a solid coach who has already impressed the locals. The same could be said about Bailiff in San Marcos, but we're already a winning squad that will continue to win. Your team is still looking for it's identity and a QB that is a bit more consistent. Sam's record was fine and dandy last year. We all enjoyed it actually. However, Bearkat folks are expecting 7-4 or 8-3 this year. I'd say that's about right. Two losses against I-A (though I think we may surprise UH, if they got beaten down by Oregon at Reliant) and two losses in SLC (McNeese State more than likely included).

It's possible in my eyes to continue that success. Mediocre is not the theme in Huntsville. We'd love to win seven games each year and always have a chance for the playoffs. Our coaching staff may be a bunch of Div II guys, but they bring great eyes and recruiting abilities. We're already seeing that their recruiting class this past year as well as the transfers that came in showing amazing signs. We could very well have the SLC Freshman of the Year in Brian Christian, a WR. Yep, a skilled position and a freshman. How often do you hear that?

mikebigg
August 21st, 2005, 07:15 PM
Bruce Eugene, a Payton runner-up? Oh, your referring to 2003. Well, that's pretty solid then. Where was he in 2004?
Injured in first game...out for the year!

That's pretty solid too, though I'd say we have Wade Pate, who could be our #2 or #3 who played big in 2003 as a true freshman, thrown into the fire against Div I opponents and the always tough SLC slate.

Decent depth for sure, probably up there with the Kats, though we hade five QBs and your listing three. I'd say all of our QBs top your Larry Kerlagen guy except maybe Hicks. Reever is one of the top QBs in Texas HS football if you check the record books. Daughtry broke 3A records for career passing yardage and was all-State. Allen was ranked #3 behind Reggie McNeal (A&M starter) and Vincent Young (UT starter) coming out of HS.

Not according to this...

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=519&Year=2004

Prospect Ranking

Rivals.com Dual-threat quarterbacks 2004 Rivals100.com | last sorted on 1/13/2004

Rivals.com ranks the top dual-threat quarterbacks in the nation. Dual-threat quarterbacks are more known for their run-pass ability.

Name RR Rating Ht/Wt Hometown Schools
1 Xavier Lee 6.1 6-4/200 Daytona Beach (FL) Seabreeze Florida State

2 Matthew Tuiasosopo 6.1 6-2/200 Woodinville (WA) Woodinville Washington

3 Robbie Reid 6.0 6-3/224 Galena Park (TX) North Shore Oklahoma State

4 Chase Patton 6.0 6-4/205 Columbia (MO) Rock Bridge Missouri

5 Nick Patton 5.9 6-3/205 Winfield (KS) Kansas State

6 Kirby Freeman 5.8 6-3/190 Brownwood (TX) Miami-FL

7 Brent Schaeffer 5.8 6-3/190 Deerfield Beach (FL) Tennessee

8 Rocky Hinds 5.8 6-5/225 Playa Del Rey (CA) Saint Bernard Southern Cal

9 Jordan Steffy 5.7 6-2/210 Leola (PA) Conestoga Valley Maryland

10 Darrell Jackson 5.7 6-2/215 Webster Groves (MO) Missouri

11 Larry Kerlegan 5.7 6-1/180 La Marque (TX) La Marque list

12 D.T. McDowell 5.6 6-1/190 Tucker (GA) Tucker HS Troy State

13 Ryan Walters 5.6 6-0/195 Aurora (CO) Grandview Colorado

14 C.J. Bacher 5.6 6-2/180 Carmichael (CA) Jesuit Northwestern

TexasTerror
August 21st, 2005, 07:43 PM
Not according to this...

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=519&Year=2004

Prospect Ranking

Rivals.com Dual-threat quarterbacks 2004 Rivals100.com | last sorted on 1/13/2004

Rivals.com ranks the top dual-threat quarterbacks in the nation. Dual-threat quarterbacks are more known for their run-pass ability.

Name RR Rating Ht/Wt Hometown Schools
1 Xavier Lee 6.1 6-4/200 Daytona Beach (FL) Seabreeze Florida State

2 Matthew Tuiasosopo 6.1 6-2/200 Woodinville (WA) Woodinville Washington

3 Robbie Reid 6.0 6-3/224 Galena Park (TX) North Shore Oklahoma State

4 Chase Patton 6.0 6-4/205 Columbia (MO) Rock Bridge Missouri

5 Nick Patton 5.9 6-3/205 Winfield (KS) Kansas State

6 Kirby Freeman 5.8 6-3/190 Brownwood (TX) Miami-FL

7 Brent Schaeffer 5.8 6-3/190 Deerfield Beach (FL) Tennessee

8 Rocky Hinds 5.8 6-5/225 Playa Del Rey (CA) Saint Bernard Southern Cal

9 Jordan Steffy 5.7 6-2/210 Leola (PA) Conestoga Valley Maryland

10 Darrell Jackson 5.7 6-2/215 Webster Groves (MO) Missouri

11 Larry Kerlegan 5.7 6-1/180 La Marque (TX) La Marque list

12 D.T. McDowell 5.6 6-1/190 Tucker (GA) Tucker HS Troy State

13 Ryan Walters 5.6 6-0/195 Aurora (CO) Grandview Colorado

14 C.J. Bacher 5.6 6-2/180 Carmichael (CA) Jesuit Northwestern

Okay. Get your facts straight. That listing is for dual-threat QBs first off. Second, that list was from 2004, not the year that Vincent Young, Noah Allen and Reggie McNeal came out of HS. They came out in 2002, if I am not mistaken. Young and McNeal were two of the top QBs in the rankings in 2002.

Allen is ranked #14 as a pro-style QB from 2002. Young was ranked #1 in dual-threat.
http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=29&Year=2002

BCisforBobcatTX
August 21st, 2005, 07:51 PM
I'd say things are looking very good for another deep I-AA run 2006 when Noah Allen is a senior and we get some more seasoned WRs

Yaknow, 2006 is a long ways away. Anything can happen there, butch.

And you know what, Sam has a solid coach who has already impressed the locals. The same could be said about Bailiff in San Marcos, but we're already a winning squad that will continue to win. Your team is still looking for it's identity and a QB that is a bit more consistent.

Didn't ya'll get a new coach this year? The locals must be awfully easy to please. Didn't ya'll lose ya'll's qb that carried the team last year? Long had the second-best season a qb's ever had at A&M, and set a record with seven td passes in a single game against Tech. You won't find anybody on Sam's roster that can boast anything close to that. I'm not saying Sam's not going to be competitive this year. I would wager that they will, but I'd bet the defense has a lot more than a little bit to do with it if they are, not whoever starts and the four guys warming the bench.

blackfordpu
August 21st, 2005, 07:52 PM
Here is a little article on our new QB transfer from Tech. Sounds like he did well in his first showing.

Transfer QB impressive less than 24 hours after arriving on campus

By Jason Barfield/Sports Editor

Near the end of Sam Houston State's 65-play scrimmage Saturday, all four quarterbacks on the Bearkat roster had taken their turn guiding the offense.

With just a handful of plays remaining, a fifth quarterback trotted into the huddle. Wearing no number on his jersey, the unknown QB unleashed a bullet on his first pass that fell incomplete. But it still drew a reaction from his new teammates on the sideline.

full story: http://www.itemonline.com/articles/2005/08/21/sports/todays_sports/sports02.txt

TexasTerror
August 21st, 2005, 08:11 PM
Didn't ya'll get a new coach this year? The locals must be awfully easy to please.

We seem "easy to please", but that's because we have someone who is one of our former offensive coordinators, someone who believes in our current OC James Ferguson (who could've very well of been our HC). He's keeping the system in place, loves Huntsville and is doing things that have gone sight unseen in these parts. He's working on team unity, promoting the team like no other coach we've had and he seems to be doing one helluva job recruiting (amazing class for a "late start").

Didn't ya'll lose ya'll's qb that carried the team last year? Long had the second-best season a qb's ever had at A&M, and set a record with seven td passes in a single game against Tech. You won't find anybody on Sam's roster that can boast anything close to that.

Yep. We did lose Long and the main recieving corps from last year, though we do return the #1 tight end AND running back in the SLC. If our recievers step it up a notch and supposedly, some of them are really sticking out above the rest, we could be pretty good. The running game is great. Our TE is an All-American candidate. Our #2 TE could even be all-SLC 2nd team as well, he's not that far behind. It comes down to our QB. If Allen has anywhere above average (and is more consistant than Barrick Nealy), the Kats will be top two in the SLC.

I'm not saying Sam's not going to be competitive this year. I would wager that they will, but I'd bet the defense has a lot more than a little bit to do with it if they are, not whoever starts and the four guys warming the bench.

No doubt about it. Our defense this year is the best in the SLC, if not second-best. So many guys coming back from a solid defensive squad that we had last year including Buck Buchanon potential award winner Marcus Mickulec. Throw in a solid kicking team (including our returning All-American Lance Garner) and that battle of field position is looking good.

kats89
August 21st, 2005, 09:43 PM
Our defense is going to be VERY good! :nod:

mikebigg
August 22nd, 2005, 06:04 PM
So what's your point? You were stating that your backup guys were better than Kerlegan...how can you make that statement? Is it based on fact or your opinion. Dual threat or drop back passer, Kerlegan is a talent and was heavitly recruited. He's coming around for us...right now he's third team but he's improving and will get on the field one way or another...

bobcatfan06
August 22nd, 2005, 07:23 PM
Absolutely no way Sam's defense is better than Northwestern State, TT. You are smoking some good stuff if you think it is.

beerkat
August 22nd, 2005, 09:03 PM
when playing at home NwSt. has the best defense, when playing on the road they are very average

Down with the Foe!
August 22nd, 2005, 09:30 PM
when playing at home NwSt. has the best defense, when playing on the road they are very average

Except when playing in Montana during the playoff's.... "Average" would be considered a bit liberal or even overstated in describing their performance that day.

:cool:

They "were cocky".....for a little while.

Ya'll come back now - ya hear?

kats89
August 22nd, 2005, 10:53 PM
Absolutely no way Sam's defense is better than Northwestern State, TT. You are smoking some good stuff if you think it is.

NW St by far has the best defense right now, but I sure have liked what I have seen in the spring game and the scrimmage this past Saturday. Our defense will win some ballgames this year, led by this guy, #52.

Retro
August 22nd, 2005, 11:02 PM
Unless any of these transfer QB's play Defense, the Bearkats aren't going to be real threat in the SLC. SHS was tied for 80th in total defense in I-AA last year, slightly ahead of Mcneese, which we all know had one of it's worst defensive showings probably every...

One of the problems with schools like SHS is that they put too much emphasis on one so called big name QB every year or 2 instead of building depth not only at QB but all positions, which doesn't allow them to build a consistent winner like Mcneese or Northwestern..

Mcneese has had the best Program in the SLC over the past 15 years, but probably the fewest individual stars, especially at QB.. They seek out great players at every position and don't let each season rest on 1 name or two like many teams. Mcneese has turned down many transfers for various reasons, probably some good ones, but in the end its about team chemistry for the long term.

I'd rather put more emphasis on building depth than signing up every I-A transfer that comes along and endup with 8 out of 10 winning seasons instead of 5 out 10 winning seasons.

beerkat
August 22nd, 2005, 11:37 PM
well as long as SHSU offense has a good passing attack the defense will never be great statistically simply because they will be on the field alot more and see alot more plays than a team who's offense is based on the running attack

TexasTerror
August 23rd, 2005, 07:00 AM
I think the problem with our defense last year was the offense was on and off the field so quick the defense had to continually go back out there. There were games where Sam would have a drive under a minute scoring a TD because we had so many deep threats. I remember there was a 16-second drive last year which included a 70+ yard TD pass to Mathenia. Happened frequently with all those big plays on the offense.

Our defense is our stronger suit this year and we have a Buchanon nominee Mickulec and a very solid group up front. The speed at the corners will be great and of course, special teams which will help in the battle of field position will be no slouch as always. I think the Kat faithful and coaching staff are very high on the defense. I think people are slowly starting to realize our coaching staff is pretty good, all around and we could very well have some guys that get all-SLC on the defensive side. Ed Jackson, Mickulec, John Griffin, to name a few...

We'll see. We won't know anything until next month anyway...

kats89
August 23rd, 2005, 07:48 AM
Unless any of these transfer QB's play Defense, the Bearkats aren't going to be real threat in the SLC. SHS was tied for 80th in total defense in I-AA last year, slightly ahead of Mcneese, which we all know had one of it's worst defensive showings probably every...

One of the problems with schools like SHS is that they put too much emphasis on one so called big name QB every year or 2 instead of building depth not only at QB but all positions, which doesn't allow them to build a consistent winner like Mcneese or Northwestern..

Mcneese has had the best Program in the SLC over the past 15 years, but probably the fewest individual stars, especially at QB.. They seek out great players at every position and don't let each season rest on 1 name or two like many teams. Mcneese has turned down many transfers for various reasons, probably some good ones, but in the end its about team chemistry for the long term.

I'd rather put more emphasis on building depth than signing up every I-A transfer that comes along and endup with 8 out of 10 winning seasons instead of 5 out 10 winning seasons.

you are kidding right? Sam Houston has no more I-A transfers on their roster than McNeese or any other SLC school. (SFA 12, Tx State 6 or 7 at least, NW St- 10,Nicholls St- 7, Southeast La-1) .As a matter of fact, I counted just a minute ago and I count 8 I-A transfers on McNeese roster and 7 on Sam Houston roster . If you think programs should not bring in I-A transfers, look at SE La who has one on their roster. We have 3 I-A transfer QB's and 2 former High School recruits. Noah Allen (Jr) transferred last year as a soph from Oklahoma, Wade Pate (RS-Soph) recruited out of Arp High School, Brett Hicks (Soph) recruited out of Bandera HS, and this year Jordan Reever (RS-Frosh) LSU and Philip Daugherty (Soph) Tx Tech. All have at least 2 years elgibility. I would say depth has been built.

Sam Houston's front 7 will be one of the better ones in the conference this year led by Marcus Mikulec. We have depth at every position on the defense this year. Our defense will be good. :nod:

Brent
August 23rd, 2005, 03:09 PM
I know the Bearkat fans have high hopes but please be realistic. Just reading most of this thread is a good laugh.

FYI, if Larry Kerlegan passed a class at Grambling Id be shocked. Texas A&M stopped recruiting him because his grades were so bad, I heard he isnt even at Grambling anymore.

exbearkat
August 23rd, 2005, 04:56 PM
I know the Bearkat fans have high hopes but please be realistic. Just reading most of this thread is a good laugh.

FYI, if Larry Kerlegan passed a class at Grambling Id be shocked. Texas A&M stopped recruiting him because his grades were so bad, I heard he isnt even at Grambling anymore.
Ehem, most laughed last year when a lot of Bearkat faithful were posting much of the same type of "high hopes" for the season, and I think we all know what the outcome ended up being... ;)

Oh, and please no one come back and post "Dustin Long this, and D. Long that" in response to last years success. The dude had been at SH for 8 months at this same time last year, and most still felt SH didn't have a chance in hell of winning the Conference, much less going to the Semi's. :nono:

kats89
August 23rd, 2005, 05:06 PM

Let's don't let the pot call the kettle black here. Brent, I think you will say that some of your faithful need to be a little realistic too coming off of 5-6 season! :nod: Let's don't start this crap again!!

AggiePride
August 23rd, 2005, 05:20 PM
This thread made me laugh.

TxState_GO_CATS!
August 23rd, 2005, 06:20 PM
Brent, I hink you will say that some of your faithful need to be a little realistic too coming off of 5-6 season! :nod:

...then, i guess so do all of the "experts" (i.e. The Sport's Network, i-aa.org) picking TxSt. to do well this year...

ANYWAYS...back to the topic, I don't know what Whitten has up his sleeve but, I don't think anyone sees his vision. LoL...just a thought here. Maybe he's hoping that through competition, the winners (first and second stringers) will stay at SHS and the "losers" (i.e. the third/fourth string QB) will transfer to Tarleton (D-2) and keep that program winning.

Again, just a thought.

blackfordpu
August 23rd, 2005, 06:45 PM
I really do not think that Whitten is looking out for Tarleton anymore. It is hard enough looking after your own program much less trying to keep another going on the side, plus it is unprofessional and immoral. "Lets be realistic." ;)

TexasTerror
August 23rd, 2005, 06:57 PM
The Bobcats are jealous that the Bearkats went to the national championship game (according to Fox Sports SW's Southland Conference Preview Show). :lol:

The difference between the Bearkats and the Bobcats is that the Kats have been there before and the Cats haven't. Until the Cats do something on the field, no one can expect anything more than another hard luck year of missing the playoffs. While I think they have reason for optimism, they have no reason to have more optimism than the Kats from the past.

TxState_GO_CATS!
August 23rd, 2005, 09:23 PM
The Bobcats are jealous that the Bearkats went to the national championship game (according to Fox Sports SW's Southland Conference Preview Show). :lol:

The difference between the Bearkats and the Bobcats is that the Kats have been there before and the Cats haven't. Until the Cats do something on the field, no one can expect anything more than another hard luck year of missing the playoffs. While I think they have reason for optimism, they have no reason to have more optimism than the Kats from the past.

It's kind of crazy how incorrect some of the info the Texas media puts out there (FSSW, The Houston Chronicle, SA Express News, AAS, etc...). I remember reading one article prior to our game at Baylor last year stating that we (TxSt.) ran a spread offense "similar to that of Texas Tech" and that our passing game could "give the Bears fits." :eek:

These guys obviously don't care much for the non-UT/A&M schools.

Eh, guess that's what you get when you live in Texas. :bang:

kats89
August 23rd, 2005, 09:30 PM
...then, i guess so do all of the "experts" (i.e. The Sport's Network, i-aa.org) picking TxSt. to do well this year...

ANYWAYS...back to the topic, I don't know what Whitten has up his sleeve but, I don't think anyone sees his vision. LoL...just a thought here. Maybe he's hoping that through competition, the winners (first and second stringers) will stay at SHS and the "losers" (i.e. the third/fourth string QB) will transfer to Tarleton (D-2) and keep that program winning.

Again, just a thought.

I agree and have said it several times, TW has a plan. That is why he is the head coach. All of these kids are young with plenty of egibility left. Everyone knows, you can be one play away from being down to your 3rd string QB.

kats89
August 23rd, 2005, 09:31 PM
It's kind of crazy how incorrect some of the info the Texas media puts out there (FSSW, The Houston Chronicle, SA Express News, AAS, etc...). I remember reading one article prior to our game at Baylor last year stating that we (TxSt.) ran a spread offense "similar to that of Texas Tech" and that our passing game could "give the Bears fits." :eek:

These guys obviously don't care much for the non-UT/A&M schools.

Eh, guess that's what you get when you live in Texas. :bang:

I thought FSN did a horrible job on that conference preview.

blackfordpu
August 23rd, 2005, 10:39 PM
I thought FSN did a horrible job on that conference preview.

Then I guess I am glad I missed it. :) :bang:

Brent
August 24th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Let's don't let the pot call the kettle black here. Brent, I think you will say that some of your faithful need to be a little realistic too coming off of 5-6 season! :nod: Let's don't start this crap again!!

Tx State has a very talented team returning and expectations are high. We maybe coming off a 5-6 season but the team has improved tremendously and the Cats have added some good JUCO and HS talent to help. If you look at what SHSU has lost, it's hard to predict they will be a very talented team this year. So many question marks remain....how will Allen do in his first full season, the WR situation, d-line depth. SHSU should be a good not a great team.

eaglesrthe1
August 24th, 2005, 10:17 AM
well as long as SHSU offense has a good passing attack the defense will never be great statistically simply because they will be on the field alot more and see alot more plays than a team who's offense is based on the running attack

One generally has little to do with the other.

exbearkat
August 24th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Tx State has a very talented team returning and expectations are high. We maybe coming off a 5-6 season but the team has improved tremendously and the Cats have added some good JUCO and HS talent to help. If you look at what SHSU has lost, it's hard to predict they will be a very talented team this year. So many question marks remain....how will Allen do in his first full season, the WR situation, d-line depth. SHSU should be a good not a great team.
D-line depth? Where did that come from? Seriously, we have more depth on the d-line this year than we may have EVER had. This has been stated publicly by our coach as well.

Now, in regard to Allen and the WR's, yes, there are some questions that won't be answered until we begin playing the games. Either way, from what I've seen so far in Fall drills, we are going to be just fine. ;)

kats89
August 24th, 2005, 02:57 PM
D-line depth? Where did that come from? Seriously, we have more depth on the d-line this year than we may have EVER had. This has been stated publicly by our coach as well.

Now, in regard to Allen and the WR's, yes, there are some questions that won't be answered until we begin playing the games. Either way, from what I've seen so far in Fall drills, we are going to be just fine. ;)

QB will not be an issue. Allen actually outplayed DL last year in fall drills, but Coach RR had already promised the starting position to DL. Don't be suprised if Allen puts up some eye catching numbers this year. Enough TxSt-SM and SHSU!!!

What I want to know is what are the chances James Madison repeats this year??

Brent
August 24th, 2005, 03:58 PM

Believe me, d-line has some depth issue.

exbearkat
August 24th, 2005, 04:22 PM
So what are you saying, that Whitten is lying? Here is a quote to back up what I said previously:

"We have a solid group defensively with good depth, particularly in the defensive line.” Whitten said.

Griffin, Jeff Mayhew (6-5, 290), Ed Jackson (6-3, 245), and Aaron Ivey (6-3, 355) are the projected defensive line starters with Jake Benoist (6-4, 240), David Branch (6-2, 265), Elijah Simon (6-2, 285) and Jeremy Wilson (6-1, 280) providing depth.

beerkat
August 24th, 2005, 05:36 PM

so mr. know it all, do you know something that we don't know like aliens are going to kidnap our reserve defensive linemen before the game next week ?

If you said we might have issues at WR, thats fine. If you said we might have issues in the secondary, thats fine. If you say we may have a hard time building chemistry with all the new faces, thats fine. All are legitimate concerns. But to question our defensive line is about as asinine as questioning whether the crowd at Wash.-Griz Stadium can make enough noise or not

TexasTerror
August 24th, 2005, 08:30 PM
One generally has little to do with the other.

Are you serious?!?

Heck, even the Indy Colts GM was saying on the radio the other day that defensive stats are misleading when you have an explosive offense for two reasons:

1) Your offense gets off the field quick meaning less rest for your defense
2) If your offense gets ahead by so much, ussually lots of yardage is piled on in garbage time by the opposing team as your team goes to a prevent-type defense.

Offensive explosiveness as all the difference in how your defense performs. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to stop reading Sports Illustrated for Kids and attempt to get up to the level of the halfway knowledgable sports fan!

bobcatfan06
August 24th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Well if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black. :D

eaglesrthe1
August 25th, 2005, 12:10 AM
:rolleyes: An O can go 3 and TD, or 3 and out. Makes little difference in what type of O it is. What is far more important to the D is will they force a 3 and out, or will they allow a 3 and score?

About the only thing that a passing O will do is allow more more plays in a game, and therefore allow more scoring. But the relative difference will be little. Statistically speaking, the stat that will suffer the most is TOP, but I have yet to see a team score while the ref is holding the ball. I think that it is more important in what you do with the ball between the snap and the whistle, but I'm not positive. :rolleyes:

To make it short and sweet, good O's will score a lot regardless of the type, and good D's will prevent scoring, regardless of the type of O's they face. Far more important is the relationship between the O's and D's of your team vs the counterparts of the opponents, than the relationships of the O's and D's of the same team.

In the NFL, you are limited by $. You can spend it on the O, or spend it on the D, or spread it around. The Colts have spent all of their money on the O, and are using a lot of journeymen on the D. If I was the GM of the Colts, I would be making excuses for my D also.

It's amazing the things that you can learn from SI for kids. You should read some of their articles on logic.:cool:

exbearkat
August 25th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Still patiently awaiting a reply from "Brent." :eyebrow:

Brent
August 26th, 2005, 04:06 PM
So what are you saying, that Whitten is lying? Here is a quote to back up what I said previously:

"We have a solid group defensively with good depth, particularly in the defensive line.” Whitten said.

Griffin, Jeff Mayhew (6-5, 290), Ed Jackson (6-3, 245), and Aaron Ivey (6-3, 355) are the projected defensive line starters with Jake Benoist (6-4, 240), David Branch (6-2, 265), Elijah Simon (6-2, 285) and Jeremy Wilson (6-1, 280) providing depth.

Sorry I dont get on here everyday or I would have applied sooner.

Whitten isn’t lying but what is a coach suppose to say?? I’m worried about the lack of talent and size on our d-line?? That’s a blow to his d-lines morale if you ask me. Watch this years recruiting, guarantee Whitten goes after a handful of big ends and DT's.

I like Jackson, not a bad player. Mayhew is decent, Ivey is NOT 355lbs…somewhere around 245lbs sounds right. Not one guy in the middle over 300lbs, I first question their strength in the trenches. These guys will get eaten up UH and Texas Tech o-line.

exbearkat
August 26th, 2005, 04:40 PM

Whitten isn’t lying but what is a coach suppose to say?? I’m worried about the lack of talent and size on our d-line?? That’s a blow to his d-lines morale if you ask me. Watch this years recruiting, guarantee Whitten goes after a handful of big ends and DT's.

I like Jackson, not a bad player. Mayhew is decent, Ivey is NOT 355lbs…somewhere around 245lbs sounds right. Not one guy in the middle over 300lbs, I first question their strength in the trenches. These guys will get eaten up UH and Texas Tech o-line.
Oh, I see, you're changing your tune now :nod: ...the point in question had nothing to do with "lack of talent and size on the d-line." You specifically stated that SH had an issue with DEPTH on the D-line - nothing else. I call you on it, and you decide to change it to something totally different. Whatever. :rolleyes: :nonono2:

beerkat
August 26th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Watch this years recruiting, guarantee Whitten goes after a handful of big ends and DT's.

no joke, really ? thanks for the info nostradomus, with 5 Juniors and 2 Seniors on the D-Line I never would have guessed that :rolleyes:

kats89
August 26th, 2005, 06:26 PM

This is pretty much the same D-Line from last year, minus Stephen Hagler. Our D-Lines have always been about this size. Our D is built more around speed and strength (aka Miami Hurricanes). Our front 7 will cause problems.
#52 below has upped his weight from 243 to 252lbs and still runs a 4.5. Get ready, this defense will be good.

Brent
August 28th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Oh, I see, you're changing your tune now :nod: ...the point in question had nothing to do with "lack of talent and size on the d-line." You specifically stated that SH had an issue with DEPTH on the D-line - nothing else. I call you on it, and you decide to change it to something totally different. Whatever. :rolleyes: :nonono2:

Changing my tune?? They have no depth because their players arent that great. Ive stated that from day one. Dont meltdown on me, exbearkat.

Brent
August 28th, 2005, 04:02 PM
no joke, really ? thanks for the info nostradomus, with 5 Juniors and 2 Seniors on the D-Line I never would have guessed that :rolleyes:

Typical response.

Believe me, Whitten wants to get some of his own class of d-line installed quickly. 5 returning linemen sound good coming back except for the fact they arent really good.

exbearkat
August 28th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Changing my tune?? They have no depth because their players arent that great. Ive stated that from day one. Dont meltdown on me, exbearkat.
Point taken, but it appears that we are going to just have to agree to disagree on this one, as personally, I see this as one of our better d-lines dating back to the Micheal Bankston days. :nod:

Time will tell brother... :)

Sam_Kats
August 28th, 2005, 08:48 PM
It's not all bad, ex. I'd rather disagree with a TSU fan about football rather than a McNeese fan (psssst...they have actually seen some great players play).

kats89
August 28th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Typical response.

Believe me, Whitten wants to get some of his own class of d-line installed quickly. 5 returning linemen sound good coming back except for the fact they arent really good.

According to who? you?

Brent
August 29th, 2005, 01:11 PM
According to who? you?

It was my opinion and I was talking to an NFL scout at a Bobcat practice about the SLC and he mentioned the samething I said about the quality of d-linemen at SHSU.

Brent
August 29th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Point taken, but it appears that we are going to just have to agree to disagree on this one,

Agreed, see you guys in SM.

kats89
August 29th, 2005, 04:50 PM
It was my opinion and I was talking to an NFL scout at a Bobcat practice about the SLC and he mentioned the samething I said about the quality of d-linemen at SHSU.

Had that scout even been to SHSU to scout anyone? When you say quality, what do you mean? If you are talking NFL prospects I would say no, we do not have any NFL DL propects. My opinion we will be fine. It is the pretty much the same DL from last year that was in the playoff run.

Brent
August 30th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Had that scout even been to SHSU to scout anyone? When you say quality, what do you mean? If you are talking NFL prospects I would say no, we do not have any NFL DL propects. My opinion we will be fine. It is the pretty much the same DL from last year that was in the playoff run.

I talked to a Seattle Seahawks scout who lives in SA, he has been by SHSU to look at 2 senior Bearkats.

Quality in my words are players that can make something happen. A difference maker, someone who can clog the run and make a 5 or more sacks in the year.

The SHSU d-line is small compared to a team with 325 plus guards and 300 pound tackles. Thats why my biggest question is the d-lines strength.

exbearkat
August 30th, 2005, 11:22 AM
I talked to a Seattle Seahawks scout who lives in SA, he has been by SHSU to look at 2 senior Bearkats.

Quality in my words are players that can make something happen. A difference maker, someone who can clog the run and make a 5 or more sacks in the year.

The SHSU d-line is small compared to a team with 325 plus guards and 300 pound tackles. Thats why my biggest question is the d-lines strength.
I do agree that overall the SH d-line is smaller than many of the others in i-aa. However, that is mostly due to design. The one exception, IMO, is Jeff Mayhew who is 6-4 290, and is flat out SOLID and as strong as an ox.

Brent
August 30th, 2005, 02:13 PM
I do agree that overall the SH d-line is smaller than many of the others in i-aa. However, that is mostly due to design. The one exception, IMO, is Jeff Mayhew who is 6-4 290, and is flat out SOLID and as strong as an ox.

How many on that bench 400lbs?? The scout had notes that said zero.

Mayhew is the best d-linemen you guys have inside the tackles. Jackson is decent on the outside.

I can understand small on the outside because of the quickness on the ends but if you dont have a big inside presence, a team can run up the gut all day.

I’m sure Whitten and his staff are out scouting the JUCO ranks for immediate help next year on the line. A big DT is what you guys are hurting the most for.