PDA

View Full Version : Hatcher faces challenges at Ga. Southern

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Plenty of challenges, especially when the expectations in Statesboro are as high as they are...
-------------------
Hatcher faces challenges at Ga. Southern
Posted: July 7, 2007

Associated Press

Chris Hatcher faces quite a challenge in restoring a prestigious but now slumping Georgia Southern football program back into prominence.

After all, it's not like he hasn't done it before. Hatcher took a struggling Division II Valdosta State team during his seven seasons as coach and led them to the 2004 national championship.

"I've been in this situation," he said. "There hasn't been any surprises."

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=234757

Kill'em
July 7th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Good article. It is true, Hatcher has his work cut out for him but I think he will be very successful. We will be back, soon.

JohnStOnge
July 7th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I don't think it's going to happen. I think what made Georgia Southern was its triple option offense. As I've said before, that offense was still working very well in 2005. There was absolutely no intelligent reason for canning it and dramatically changing a program system that worked.

I think Georigia Southern's administration screwed up at the end of 2005 and the program will never be what it once was again. Not saying they'll never be in the playoffs again, but it's never going to be the force it once was.

Lionsrking
July 7th, 2007, 08:55 PM
I don't think it's going to happen. I think what made Georgia Southern was its triple option offense. As I've said before, that offense was still working very well in 2005. There was absolutely no intelligent reason for canning it and dramatically changing a program system that worked.

I think Georigia Southern's administration screwed up at the end of 2005 and the program will never be what it once was again. Not saying they'll never be in the playoffs again, but it's never going to be the force it once was.

I disagree. Hatcher has been very successful running his version of Hal Mumme's Air Raid offense and I see no reason why he won't be successful with it at Georgia Southern. When that offense is in high gear, it's as tough to stop as any. GSU has great tradition & fan support and no shortage of high school talent to draw from. They'll be back in the playoffs in short order.

NoSpinZone
July 7th, 2007, 09:07 PM

I'm with you. They got what they deserved last year when they fired a guy still going to the playoff's. If it ain't broke don't fix it IMO.

SouthernEagle02
July 7th, 2007, 09:41 PM
There are pieces of the option incorporated in the "Hatch Attack." When its firing on all cylinders, its going to be fun to watch and hard to stop.xnodx

blueballs
July 8th, 2007, 06:34 AM
The program was broken, by our standards, long before Coach Sewak (who I really like) was fired.

The vaunted offense was thwarted by UNH, McNeese, Wofford, ASU, and Texas St (GSU had ZERO yds in the 4th quarter of the playoff collapse) in the last 13 games of his tenure and had become one dimensional. It was great for stomping poor and mediocre teams but underperformed against good teams with the notable exception being the Furman game in 2005.

Team discipline was severely lacking, as evidenced in the APR results in the classroom, increased player trouble in the community, and the alarming number of players- particularly Sewak's defensive recruits- who were dropping out of the program early for whatever reason. Discipline on the field was lacking as mental mistakes cost GSU at least two games (MSU and Wofford) in 2005.

The firing of Sewak can be debated, perhaps he should have been given another chance, and maybe he was put on notice before the firing but it wasn't made public. Sewak and the administration both have been pretty silent on the matter.

Whereas the firing of Sewak can be debated, what is indisputable is the utter disaster the Van Dickhead regime was on several levels. This hire by the AD Baker and the ineptitude of Van Dickhead set the program back at least 3-4 years.

Van Dickhead's sudden departure, while done in the most underhanded way and at the worst possible time, was actually a good thing as it gave Baker a mulligan and a lot of us think we've got the right guy now. Time will tell but we like the attitude and gravitas this guy brings as well as his staff hires. The man is a proven big winner and there is nothing to think that with GSU's resources he isn't capable of continuing that success.

I don't know if Hatcher will be able to restore GSU to a top 5 program and serious NC contender every year as a couple of his predecessors did- I'm not sure that's possible in the SoCon anymore- but there is no question he is an upgrade on the two coaches who preceeded him.

I don't expect a playoff appearance in 2007 but the years following that are a different story.

JohnStOnge
July 8th, 2007, 08:39 AM
I disagree. Hatcher has been very successful running his version of Hal Mumme's Air Raid offense and I see no reason why he won't be successful with it at Georgia Southern. When that offense is in high gear, it's as tough to stop as any. GSU has great tradition & fan support and no shortage of high school talent to draw from. They'll be back in the playoffs in short order.

Time will tell. But I think one thing that gave GSU an advantage is that it was not recruiting the same kinds of offensive players that most others did.

MplsBison
July 8th, 2007, 09:53 AM
But that pool of offense players is dwindling.

Bet the farm that high schools are veering away form the triple option (PUN INTENDED!).

High schools invarably follow the offensive and defensive scheme trends of colleges. And right now the big deal in colleges is the shotgun chuck n duck.

I watched highlights from the Texas state football championships. I think every single team from AA D2 and up was shotgun. Boggles my mind, but whatever.

The TO is on it's last legs.

It's well past time to end that chapter of football history.

JohnStOnge
July 8th, 2007, 10:25 AM

Bet the farm that high schools are veering away form the triple option (PUN INTENDED!).

High schools invarably follow the offensive and defensive scheme trends of colleges. And right now the big deal in colleges is the shotgun chuck n duck.

I watched highlights from the Texas state football championships. I think every single team from AA D2 and up was shotgun. Boggles my mind, but whatever.

When I talked about the type of player I didn't mean players that necessarily played in high school triple option offenses. I'm talking about stuff like recruiting quarterbacks who are not highly coveted as passers in traditional offenses but can throw the ball reasonably well and are good, quick/fast runners. My understanding is that GSU would recruit a number of players like that and develop them to fit their system. The others would play other positions...such as wingback. Another thing is relatively small linemen who run well but might not be coveted because they might not be the best at pass protection in a different offense.

I think that the offense Georgia Southern ran just called for a different kind of player. I think players that wouldn't even start in most offensive systems could excel in the GSU scheme on a GSU national championship team.

Laserlips
July 8th, 2007, 10:25 AM
FWIW:

How our GSU Eagle football team will fare this upcoming season is anyone's guess..

But, this Eagle fan has a good feeling about the Eagles potential, even this year... I don't think Coach Hatcher can fully right the "sinking" ship that was left in the wake of the incompetent, ego driven Brian Van Gorder in one season, but I'd be willing to bet the bank that you won't see a GSU team finishing the season @ 3-8...

We GSU fans are probably the most spoiled in the nation.. That's what you get when you have been so successful in the past... Listen to the App fans who after winning 2 national championships think they own the division... Maybe at this time they do.. No team stays on top in any sport in the world.. Just can't happen. App won't be the top dog always, and GSU won't be near the bottom always.

Coach Hatcher is such a breath of fresh air after last season that the great majority of GSU fans are behind him 100%. We are willing to give him the time it takes to get HIS plan in effect, with HIS recruits, and if you know anything about his coaching history you know the man is a winner, and I honestly think he'll be bringing winning back to Paulson Stadium.

I don't think any team can dominate the league in the manner GSU did in years past. Perhaps App will prove me wrong, and hey, if there has to be a dominent team other than GSU in the division at least it's in the SOCON.

Even last season, which was the absolute worse for GSU football in modern times we played APP State to double overtime in Paulson before the incompetence of our coaches let it slip away.

Coach (?) Brian Van Gorder was simply out of his league as a head coach. Having the skills to be a good defensive coach is not the same as having the skill, and BRAINS, to run a whole football program.. BVG didn't have the skills or brains, and equated EGO with capability, and was proven wrong.

I'm very excited about the upcoming season.. I think we will have a very good year, and yes I believe we will stumble some... But the foundation will be laid for Chris Hatcher that will reap dividends in the ensuing seasons.

We'll get some of you this season... Even some who don't think we have a prayer.. We'll get more next season, and it only gets better from then on.

Yep, I've got all the confidence in the world in Coach Chris Hatcher and his staff.. I could be wrong, been wrong before... But I think Coach Hatcher has found a home at GSU, and I think he'll put his stamp on the team and once again folks won't care to come into "our house"..

Just my old fart opinion.. I know it's optomistic, but hey, I love my GSU Eagles!

Thank the good Lord and Greyhound BVG is gone...

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

T-Dog
July 8th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Even last season, which was the absolute worse for GSU football in modern times we played APP State to double overtime in Paulson before the incompetence of our coaches let it slip away.

Not trying to cause trouble but has any GSU fan given us credit for winning that game. Winning our first game in Paulson in ten years. Grinding out a win in the south Georgia heat when we weren't firing on all cylinders. Showing heart, bending but not breaking.

Y'all played one hack of a game as well. It's a bit shallow to put it all on coaching. If the receiver would have turned the other way in the 2nd overtime, we would have went to a third OT. Just so many factors that it's near-sighted just to put it all on coaching.

But back on topic, "challenge" is a bit of an understatement. The Admin there has no one to blame but themselves for jumping the gun and firing Sewak. Maybe lay down the law regarding off-the-field trouble. The engine was fixable, but GSU decided to replace the whole thing and it backfired miserably.

I'm thinking they'll be .500 this year The SoCon overall will be much better this year so going to the top is very unlikely.

Laserlips
July 8th, 2007, 11:41 AM
[QUOTE=T-Dog;587411]Not trying to cause trouble but has any GSU fan given us credit for winning that game. Winning our first game in Paulson in ten years. Grinding out a win in the south Georgia heat when we weren't firing on all cylinders. Showing heart, bending but not breaking.

Y'all played one hack of a game as well. It's a bit shallow to put it all on coaching. If the receiver would have turned the other way in the 2nd overtime, we would have went to a third OT. Just so many factors that it's near-sighted just to put it all on coaching.
QUOTE]

T-Dog:

I apologize for implying that AppState didn't deserve the win at Paulson last year.. I didn't mean that at all, even tho I agree it sounded that way.

My wife and I sat in the stands last season for every game. The plays called by our Coaches were so predictible that it became a joke in the stands as to what the next call would be.. No imagination whatsoever in play calling.. Now if we, the fans, could anticipate what the next offensive play would be it isn't a stretch to figure out the opposing coaches could also..

Additionally, our Coaching staff made absolutly NO adjustments at halftime at any game I watched.. It made absolutely no difference if our Eagles were ahead or behind at the half we, the fans, KNEW the opposing coaching staff would make adjustments to game play and BVG and his coaches simply would not...

BVG had HIS vision, and wouldn't stray from that vision even when it was apparent he didn't have the players to match that vision.. He let what is argueably one of the best athletes in the SOCON (Jayson Foster) sit on the bench the greater part of the season.. Only when he got his butt in a crack would he send Jayson in and at that point everyone in the stands, including the defense knew what to expect.

Someone may argue the point, but the fans had no confidence in BVG's talents, the players, for the most part, I understand did not like the man, and BVG was absolutely inflexible when the opposite should have been true.

My reference to the close game with App State was meant to say that even under the mis-guidance of BVG our Eagles still gave the previous seasons, and soon to be current National Champions a pretty good game.

Ask around to anyone who paid close attention to the "season of BVG the idiot" and I think the great majority of them will agree that play calling last season was atrocious, flexibililty was non-existent, and a lack of willingness, and ability to adjust to the opponents strengths at halftime was absent.

I honestly believe that under the leadership of Coach Chris Hatcher you will see ALL of those deficiencies of BVG & his staff corrected, and the GSU Eagles will show a marked improvement this upcoming season, and will continue to improve in the ensuing seasons.

As I said in my original post, I do not expect our Eagles to kick butt and take names in every game, but I DO expect to see hard nosed football, that is well Coached and I think good things are going to happen.

Again, my apology for unintentionally "dissing" App State..xbowx

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

AZGrizFan
July 8th, 2007, 12:04 PM

What killed GSU was Navy. :D :D :D :D

You're WELCOME, SoCon! xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

PaladinFan
July 8th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Here's the thing.

Coach Hatcher's offense works. It does. However, GSU is trying to jump the complete spectrum of offensive mindsets. They have a team chocked full of second string qbs, the offensive line is smaller per their chop blocking scheme, and their defense has not been conditioned to handle a quick scoring offense and long defensive sets.

That said, Hatcher is a good coach with a proven system that works. Right now GSU doesn't have the personell to make it fly. I would wager they are one of the most athletic teams in the country and as long as Jayson Foster is on the field, they can score points. What they need is to start bringing in talent that fits their system. Right now their best quarterback would most likely be second string at every other SoCon school besides Western. He'd be third string at UTC, Furman, and App. State.

Still. They will be back soon. People forget that Hatcher comes out of one of the most talent rich areas of the Southeast in terms of football talent, that of South Georgia/North Florida. He'll get the job done in time.

For what it's worth, he was my choice over Van Gorder. The fact that it was foolish to fire Sewak not withstanding.

Laserlips
July 8th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Guess we'll all know our potential after our Eagles play a game or two....

J. Pomeroy

james_lawfirm
July 8th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I honestly believe that under the leadership of Coach Chris Hatcher you will see ALL of those deficiencies of BVG & his staff corrected, and the GSU Eagles will show a marked improvement this upcoming season, and will continue to improve in the ensuing seasons.

I hope so, but with all due respect to the GaSo faithful, I think you all need more patience with your new coach. I agree that you will see improvements over last year. But he simply won't be able to influence everything he needs to in just one year. You all will probably do better than 3 - 8, but if not, heads should not roll in Statesboro. Give him two or three years to show solid improvement.

I was at the ASU game in Statesboro last year. I have never been so exhausted just WATCHING a football game. Truly it was a heck of a ballgame. The tradition of excellence that is GaSo football is a serious advantage for Coach Hatcher. I just hope you all give him enough time to make use of it.

And, I look forward to your visit to the Rock in '07! ;)

T-Dog
July 8th, 2007, 05:23 PM
[QUOTE=T-Dog;587411]Not trying to cause trouble but has any GSU fan given us credit for winning that game. Winning our first game in Paulson in ten years. Grinding out a win in the south Georgia heat when we weren't firing on all cylinders. Showing heart, bending but not breaking.

QUOTE]

T-Dog:

I apologize for implying that AppState didn't deserve the win at Paulson last year.. I didn't mean that at all, even tho I agree it sounded that way.

My wife and I sat in the stands last season for every game. The plays called by our Coaches were so predictible that it became a joke in the stands as to what the next call would be.. No imagination whatsoever in play calling.. Now if we, the fans, could anticipate what the next offensive play would be it isn't a stretch to figure out the opposing coaches could also..

Additionally, our Coaching staff made absolutly NO adjustments at halftime at any game I watched.. It made absolutely no difference if our Eagles were ahead or behind at the half we, the fans, KNEW the opposing coaching staff would make adjustments to game play and BVG and his coaches simply would not...

BVG had HIS vision, and wouldn't stray from that vision even when it was apparent he didn't have the players to match that vision.. He let what is argueably one of the best athletes in the SOCON (Jayson Foster) sit on the bench the greater part of the season.. Only when he got his butt in a crack would he send Jayson in and at that point everyone in the stands, including the defense knew what to expect.

Someone may argue the point, but the fans had no confidence in BVG's talents, the players, for the most part, I understand did not like the man, and BVG was absolutely inflexible when the opposite should have been true.

My reference to the close game with App State was meant to say that even under the mis-guidance of BVG our Eagles still gave the previous seasons, and soon to be current National Champions a pretty good game.

Ask around to anyone who paid close attention to the "season of BVG the idiot" and I think the great majority of them will agree that play calling last season was atrocious, flexibililty was non-existent, and a lack of willingness, and ability to adjust to the opponents strengths at halftime was absent.

As I said in my original post, I do not expect our Eagles to kick butt and take names in every game, but I DO expect to see hard nosed football, that is well Coached and I think good things are going to happen.

Again, my apology for unintentionally "dissing" App State..xbowx

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

No worries man.

It just seemed to that the attention over GSU games was so much about the coaching, it lacked focus on the players.

And to tell one on myself, we can always predict we'll run it up the gut on 1st down, NEVER run any fake special teams plays and run down the play clock.

Good luck in your rebuilding. It won't be easy.

phillyAPP
July 8th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I hope so, but with all due respect to the GaSo faithful, I think you all need more patience with your new coach. I agree that you will see improvements over last year. But he simply won't be able to influence everything he needs to in just one year. You all will probably do better than 3 - 8, but if not, heads should not roll in Statesboro. Give him two or three years to show solid improvement.

I was at the ASU game in Statesboro last year. I have never been so exhausted just WATCHING a football game. Truly it was a heck of a ballgame. The tradition of excellence that is GaSo football is a serious advantage for Coach Hatcher. I just hope you all give him enough time to make use of it.

I agree, that game had me exhausted and the players were rolling over to get up after every play. GSU will be competitive this year. If they can get a few early wins, I would watch out. They have talent and coach Hatcher will put this team together quick.

I think they are the most dangerous team in the league.

CopperCat
July 8th, 2007, 05:54 PM

Patience is something that doesn't come easy for a school like GSU, but you are exactly right. Patience is what GSU needs (as does MSU, the two situations are very similar). To really see the results of a new coach and HIS recruits, you need to give the new coach at least 3 years. If schools fire coaches after one season, there is something seriously wrong with the administration (that doesn't happen all that often at our level though).

And T-Dog IS right. App does deserve some credit for winning that game given that they hadn't won there in a long time (I know what that's like too with "the streak.") But don't take the spotlight away from GSU entirely. If what is said is true about the ASU players getting up slowly after every play, GSU helped show the rest of the SoCon (and FCS in general) that ASU is indeed mortal and can be beaten. GSU certainly had a down year, but I don't think 07' will be near as frustrating as 06' was. I wouldn't say much about GSU or the SoCon, but I felt compelled to say something because the same thing happened at MSU when Kramer was hired (an 0-11 season two years after being hired!!! that was the WORST ever, luckily GSU won a few). Time indeed is what Hatcher needs. But given the history and allure of that school, I DO see GSU getting back in the playoffs and having the same kind of success that it has seen in years past (so I disagree with you JSO).

Patience is a virtue. Embrace it.xthumbsupx
And kick some tail in Boone will ya?xnodx

james_lawfirm
July 8th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Patience is something that doesn't come easy for a school like GSU, but you are exactly right. Patience is what GSU needs (as does MSU, the two situations are very similar). To really see the results of a new coach and HIS recruits, you need to give the new coach at least 3 years. If schools fire coaches after one season, there is something seriously wrong with the administration (that doesn't happen all that often at our level though).

And T-Dog IS right. App does deserve some credit for winning that game given that they hadn't won there in a long time (I know what that's like too with "the streak.") But don't take the spotlight away from GSU entirely. If what is said is true about the ASU players getting up slowly after every play, GSU helped show the rest of the SoCon (and FCS in general) that ASU is indeed mortal and can be beaten. GSU certainly had a down year, but I don't think 07' will be near as frustrating as 06' was. I wouldn't say much about GSU or the SoCon, but I felt compelled to say something because the same thing happened at MSU when Kramer was hired (an 0-11 season two years after being hired!!! that was the WORST ever, luckily GSU won a few). Time indeed is what Hatcher needs. But given the history and allure of that school, I DO see GSU getting back in the playoffs and having the same kind of success that it has seen in years past (so I disagree with you JSO).

Patience is a virtue. Embrace it.xthumbsupx
And kick some tail in Boone will ya?xnodx

FTG:

Man, I agree completely xeekx xeekx - except for that last line! ;)

Kill'em
July 8th, 2007, 07:24 PM

Sorry, but you are wrong about high schools in Georgia and Florida going away from the triple option. There are lots of schools going back to the Wishbone and the Wing-T. Heck, even my Alma-mater is running The Georgia Southern spread option.
One of the misconceptions that kills me is that people claim we won because of our offense. I think people forget that we have great athletes to run the offense. Let's also not forget it takes a good defense to keep the opposing offense from outscoring us. Oh, and our special teams were usually pretty good, too.
Another misconception is that Hatcher's offense requires big linemen. This offense is more like our spread option than people realize. It needs smaller, quick linemen. The passing game is based on short passes, getting the ball into the playmakers' hands and let them get the yards, hence, the need for smaller linemen.
Yes, I do blame the coaches for not just the App St loss, but all the losses. Our guys played their collective asses off but the coaches looked lost, like they did all last season. But I give App credit. They took our best shots and still won the game. They proved why they were the defending champions. I honestly feel there would have been few teams who would have beaten us that day but App did. xbowx
As for '07, we will probably not beat App in Boone but I guarantee it will not be a blowout. Honestly, our season will depend on how well the QB plays, whomever it will be. I can't wait for the season to start!

Kill'em
July 8th, 2007, 07:25 PM

Sometimes I think that, too.

Eaglesrus
July 8th, 2007, 08:47 PM

Well, I think you will see that we have more patience than you think we do. As horrendous as last year was, we didn't let the coach go, he left us. Not that anybody had any problem with that except for the way he did it. Hatcher is so completely different than the other guy I'm very confident that he will be given ample opportunity to be successful. I'm much more concerned about how long we will be able to keep him once he gets us back.

GoldandBlack
July 8th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Based on his tenure at Valdosta State, he strikes me as the kind of guy that will stay with you as long as you stay with him- kind've like Mike Ayers. It's a nice relationship to have.xnodx

JohnStOnge
July 8th, 2007, 08:50 PM
But given the history and allure of that school, I DO see GSU getting back in the playoffs and having the same kind of success that it has seen in years past (so I disagree with you JSO).

We'll see. But, for GSU, "...the same kind of success that it has seen in years past..." is a very high standard.

JohnStOnge
July 8th, 2007, 08:58 PM
One of the misconceptions that kills me is that people claim we won because of our offense. I think people forget that we have great athletes to run the offense. Let's also not forget it takes a good defense to keep the opposing offense from outscoring us. Oh, and our special teams were usually pretty good, too.

I don't discount the role of defense and special teams but I think you underestimate the advantage of getting into the playoffs and facing teams who were either totally or relatively unfamiliar with that offense run the way Georgia Southern ran it. I do not think Georgia Southern had an athletic advantage that could account for 6 national championships. If you look at NFL player production, for instance, Georgia Southern does not stand out historically at all among I-AAs (now FCS). One would never, from looking at NFL player production, pick out Georgia Southern as the dominant program it was.

MplsBison
July 8th, 2007, 09:00 PM
It's different yes, but so what? Every team is different.

All it takes is a fast defense that's disciplined and the TO is whooped.

That's why you don't see it run in the NFL.

JohnStOnge
July 8th, 2007, 09:14 PM

I've heard that a lot but I think it's a myth. I don't think we know that the option wouldn't work in the NFL because nobody's ever serioiusly committed to it and tried it. I do know that teams like Navy and Air Force are able to run their offenses against BCS league teams with far more speed and athleticism. And the last time Georgia Southern ran its offense against a BCS league team (Georgia in 2004), it rushed for 294 yards.

North Dakota State never played against the GSU option when GSU had one of its better teams. If it had, you might have a different outlook.

Being familiar with it helps, I think. I think one could see that from Southern Conference play. But most of the teams Georgia faced in the playoffs over the years were not familiar with it.

Kill'em
July 8th, 2007, 09:16 PM
I don't discount the role of defense and special teams but I think you underestimate the advantage of getting into the playoffs and facing teams who were either totally or relatively unfamiliar with that offense run the way Georgia Southern ran it. I do not think Georgia Southern had an athletic advantage that could account for 6 national championships. If you look at NFL player production, for instance, Georgia Southern does not stand out historically at all among I-AAs (now FCS). One would never, from looking at NFL player production, pick out Georgia Southern as the dominant program it was.

I disagree. Many of our players are smaller. They have the speed but not the size the NFL wants. Unfortunately, the triple option hurt many of our players from getting a shot in the NFL. That is why so many end up in the CFL.

Mr. C
July 8th, 2007, 09:32 PM

Paul Johnson was ready for another challenge, whether it was Navy, or somewhere else. He had been looking for a I-A job for awhile when he left for Navy.

Mr. C
July 8th, 2007, 09:35 PM

It is a good thing that you are not a coach. More worthless anti-triple option talk as we have grown to expect from you. You come up with these comments, but never back up your opinions with any facts. Ask Mike Ayers at the end of the season if he thinks that the triple option is a dying offense?

CopperCat
July 8th, 2007, 10:13 PM
We'll see. But, for GSU, "...the same kind of success that it has seen in years past..." is a very high standard.

It is indeed a high standard. But if you don't have a high standard, then what's the point? GSU NEEDS to have a high standard, especially with a new coach. If the boosters, fans, players, and coaching staff all have a high standard, I would tend to think that the outcome of the impending season is better than if goals were lackluster.

Monkey see, monkey do.

And oh, btw, GSU is my favorite team in the SoCon this year. GO EAGLES!!!!!!!

MplsBison
July 8th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I do know that teams like Navy and Air Force are able to run their offenses against BCS league teams with far more speed and athleticism.

Air Force is ditching the TO for the shotgun spread.

Navy, well, their results speak for themselves.

PaladinFan
July 8th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Mpls

for what it's worth, in 2003 Furman had one of the top 5 defenses in I-AA football and GSU still managed to rush for 300 yrds.

Only two teams scored more than 20 on Furman that year, Clemson and GSU.

The running game, be it in a triple option or not, is just a staple of Southern Football. The South doesn't produce a lot of finesse quarterbacks but they produce more quality runners than anywhere else in the country. You'll never see the air raid catch a big foothold in the Southeast.

youwouldno
July 9th, 2007, 02:20 AM
Where MplsBison really shows his ignorance is in using the NFL to back up his spurious claims that the trip option is obsolete. There is very little relation between college and pro ball.

App St's spread option, Mouse Davis' Run and Shoot, various other Air Raid schemes... none of them is used in the NFL. Many college fans seem oddly ignorant of that... I've seen several App St fans claim that Furman runs an obsolete offense even though it's the closest to a pro approach in the SoCon.

The fact is, a great TO offense cannot be stopped at the college level. There is too much scarcity at key positions (such as interior DL) and too little experience (compared to pro players).

CID1990
July 9th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Getting away from the wishbone is what ultimately led us down the tubes in the mid-90s. Under Charlie Taaffe, we had the most successful option team in the country. Instead of hiring him a driver so he could drink beer at those touchdown club dinners, we fired him. That started us on our 3 or 4 coaches (I lost track) in just a few years' time.

I agree with the people who post in support of option offenses. We whupped a lot of good I-AA teams (they were I-AA at the time) and some pretty good I-A teams running what a lot of critics called an antiquated offense at the time. If we had stuck with the coach and the offense, I am convinced that we would not still be trying to rebuild.

UncleSam
July 9th, 2007, 08:07 AM
I expect that GSU will soon be back as a playoff contender, but I do agree that their glory days of domination in the SoCon are history. I also agree that the dumping of the triple option was a poor decision, as the option had been the key component in GSU's domination. In addition, the competitive balance of FCS football is much stronger now than it was in GSU's glory days. GSU may come back on the national stage, but probably not nearly as often as in previous years.

PaladinFan
July 9th, 2007, 09:07 AM
App State has won two national championships running the option. They don't run it from under center but their bread and butter is a read option.

MplsBison
July 9th, 2007, 09:22 AM
You'll never see the air raid catch a big foothold in the Southeast.

Yeah, Spurrier definitely wouldn't stoop to the level of the shotgun spread.

Maverick
July 9th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Look how well Spurrier did in the NFL! His system worked for him in college because he controlled the players coming into the system. What about his former QBs who were great under him but not so hot in the NFL?
College coaches find a system that works for them then recruit to that system. GSU with their option attack was a nightmare for a lot of DCs for a long time. Last year they took guys recruited for that system and tried to play a pro system which did not work. Hatcher will recruit differently to support his system. But the days of that dominating offense of the triple option (and also a game domination by either dominating possession and wearing out the other teams defense or scoring so quickly that it was demoralizing) has passed. Another major factor was the special kind of preparation that it required and if it was something you only faced once a year it was even more difficult. Still if you look around the country there are places where the TO thrives.

Good to see BSBison has found another place to display his ignorance!

T-Dog
July 9th, 2007, 10:28 AM
The air raid did catch hold at App in 2004 but it didn't last because as Jerry Moore put it (paraphrased from an audio) "We threw the ball for nine million yards that year but when it came down to 3rd and shorts, we couldn't get the tough yards because we didn't have a good back."

As long as Moore is here we'll never rely on the pass. It's about running the ball and defense. That's the bread and butter in the SoCon.

phillyAPP
July 9th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Where MplsBison really shows his ignorance is in using the NFL to back up his spurious claims that the trip option is obsolete. There is very little relation between college and pro ball.

App St's spread option, Mouse Davis' Run and Shoot, various other Air Raid schemes... none of them is used in the NFL. Many college fans seem oddly ignorant of that... I've seen several App St fans claim that Furman runs an obsolete offense even though it's the closest to a pro approach in the SoCon.

The fact is, a great TO offense cannot be stopped at the college level. There is too much scarcity at key positions (such as interior DL) and too little experience (compared to pro players).

BINGO !! You are right on the money and you forgot Pro SPEED.

ButlerGSU
July 9th, 2007, 02:24 PM

Great point.

Kill'em
July 9th, 2007, 02:37 PM
It is indeed a high standard. But if you don't have a high standard, then what's the point? GSU NEEDS to have a high standard, especially with a new coach. If the boosters, fans, players, and coaching staff all have a high standard, I would tend to think that the outcome of the impending season is better than if goals were lackluster.

Monkey see, monkey do.

And oh, btw, GSU is my favorite team in the SoCon this year. GO EAGLES!!!!!!!

Post of the Week! xhurrayx