PDA

View Full Version : NDSU?

GreatAppSt
July 6th, 2007, 11:35 PM
I noticed in the pics on another thread that the Fargo dome still appears to have the older disastroturf. Are there any rumors if there will be a change to one of the newer surfaces sometime soon?

MplsBison
July 6th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Their are plenty of logistically plausible options availible to them.

They could do a standard installation and put plywood over it for non football events (Metrodome, Georgia dome, etc.), get the trays and stack them out of the way for non football events (Rogers Centre), or they could also look into getting the new no infill surface and see about rolling it up.

The Fargodome simply is too cheap to consider it.

bisonguy
July 6th, 2007, 11:46 PM
No rumors of replacement, as of yet.

The current surface is ~4 or 5 years old, so it probably will be replaced in a few years.

The surface right now is the AstroTurf Magic Carpet system. The only seam in the surface is outside of the actual playing field, from the back of the endzone to the endzone stands. It's not as bad as the older AstroTurf, but can still give some nasty turf burns.

TheBisonator
July 7th, 2007, 12:32 PM
No rumors of replacement, as of yet.

The current surface is ~4 or 5 years old, so it probably will be replaced in a few years.

The surface right now is the AstroTurf Magic Carpet system. The only seam in the surface is outside of the actual playing field, from the back of the endzone to the endzone stands. It's not as bad as the older AstroTurf, but can still give some nasty turf burns.

Exactly. The current surface is the exact kind that the Rams, Falcons, Colts, Saints, etc. (all except the Vikings) used in their domes a few years ago right before they all changed to Field/SprinTurf/AstroPlay. I know that the new stuff can be used indoors, it's already used in every NFL dome in the country. I wouldn't want to see the tray system that SkyDome in Toronto uses, though. I went on a tour there a few years ago, and when the turf is laid out, it looks ugly as sin. Hundreds of green squares and seams checkerboard the field. I would rather see the system that the GeorgiaDome or RCA Dome uses once we get new turf. That stuff does not use the trays, and is one continuous slab of turf. I don't think the Fargodome would want to use the tray system anyway.

MplsBison
July 7th, 2007, 07:09 PM
But I wonder if this stuff that Ark State and now McNeese have, the stuff that doesn't have an infill, could be rolled up like the magic carpet?

That'd be an interesting option.

TheBisonator
July 8th, 2007, 05:17 PM
But I wonder if this stuff that Ark State and now McNeese have, the stuff that doesn't have an infill, could be rolled up like the magic carpet?

That'd be an interesting option.

I'm sure the stuff with no rubber could be rolled up, as long as the "grass" blades stay attached to the base. Hopefully it would be the kind where you can sew the lines and logos in, rather than having to repaint over and over again, like the Metrodome's.