PDA

View Full Version : Big South Football

CSUbucFan
July 3rd, 2007, 03:05 PM
Does anyone know the preseason all conference teams or when they are supposed to come out?

g-webb1994
July 3rd, 2007, 03:15 PM
Probably in the next week or two when they have football media day, most likely in Charlotte.

zilla
July 3rd, 2007, 04:06 PM
Big South Media Days are July 26 & 27. They'll be released then.

SuperJon
July 3rd, 2007, 04:49 PM
That's when they'll be released. Ian Guerin (CCU writer) and Chris Lang (LU writer) have already released who they chose.

The votes have been in for a week or two.

CSUbucFan
July 3rd, 2007, 05:25 PM
where are the CCU writer and LU writers located?

zilla
July 3rd, 2007, 06:55 PM
where are the CCU writer and LU writers located?

Lang posted his picks on flamefans.com

For Guerin's picks, go to myrtlebeachonline.com, then click on the blog titled "Beach Chicken Chatter."

IaaScribe
July 4th, 2007, 12:49 PM
All-conference preseason teams will indeed be released July 27 at the Big South media gathering.

CSUbucFan
July 5th, 2007, 07:55 PM
just trying to get some different opinions: who do you all think is the best player at each position?

SuperJon
July 5th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Jerome Simpson at WR.

The kid from G-W at DE (sorry, forgot his name).

I think Vince Redd from LU will be the best LB, but he hasn't played a game yet at LU so I can't claim that for a fact right now.

QB's unsure right now since 3 of the 5 teams are having to use new QB's this year. I'd say Brock Smith is the better of the two coming back.

At RB, Rashad Jennings has the most potential. However, Tolbert from Coastal isn't bad at all.

LU has the biggest OL and should be the best, but others in the league may come together and gel as the year goes on and be just as good.

I'm drawing a blank in the secondary. I wouldn't rank LU at the top of that though. I know Coastal's got a few good guys coming back.

Gorilla89
July 6th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Jerome Simpson at WR.

A lock for Simpson.

MarkCCU
July 6th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Hey July 27th.

Another CSU fan? Damn, you must've gotten wind of your first winning season in 15 years. lol...

Welcome to AGS, enjoy.

adrianb
July 6th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Where will media day be held this year?

zilla
July 6th, 2007, 09:02 AM

Charlotte

SuperJon
July 6th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Like always. That's where BSC headquarters are. You know they're not going to spend money to have it somewhere else.

justsaying
July 6th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Top at each position

QB ( Brock Smith LU ) even though had less passing yard and TD than GW Campbell, was better with the ball with a lot less interceptions.
RB ( Rashad Jennings & Zach Terrell LU) Both are extremely talented
WR( Jerome Simpson CCU) Duvaughn Flagler from GWU is close behind, both are All Americans
OL ( Demario Deese GWU) Has been first team All Conference since a freshman

DL ( Brian Johnston GWU) NFL prospect All American
LB ( Mario Brown GWU) 109T 5 sacks 3INT 06 All American
DB (C.J. Hirschman GSU)80T 06 Charleston Southern

SuperJon
July 6th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Top at each position

WR( Jerome Simpson CCU) Duvaughn Flagler from GWU is close behind, both are All Americans
OL ( Demario Deese GWU) Has been first team All Conference since a freshman

Those are the only two I have problems with. I don't think anyone is anywhere near him, at all.

Also, at OL I'd argue for Stephen Sene from LU really hard.

justsaying
July 6th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Those are the only two I have problems with. I don't think anyone is anywhere near him, at all.

Also, at OL I'd argue for Stephen Sene from LU really hard.

I can see your argument, yet I feel that if Duvaughn flagler had the quality QB that Jerome Simpson has had, throughout his career, he will we right there if not ahead of Simpson, he has managed to get what he can, with a QB that has thrown more picks than touchdowns each year he has played. Also, Gardner Webb has a balanced attack in throwing the ball and spreading the ball between all their receivers.. Not to mention they became one dimensional on offense so everyone knew the pass was coming...

You may be right about the OL though; it is a hard position to judge

SuperJon
July 6th, 2007, 12:28 PM
The thing you have to remember is Simpson played in a predominately run-oriented offense his first three years. Tyler Thigpen didn't become a great QB until his senior year. There were a ton of BAD balls that Simpson went up and made plays on (the huge diving one handed catch against JMU). I've seen the kid play since high school. No one in this conference is anywhere close.

CSUBUCDAD
July 6th, 2007, 12:37 PM
If Coastals up and coming QB has any kind of arm, Simpson will make a strong run at All American this season. If he can keep his yap shut and play football that is.

IaaScribe
July 6th, 2007, 12:58 PM

It will be in Concord, to be precise. They've moved it away from my favorite hotel in downtown Charlotte. Boo Big South.

SuperJon
July 6th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Boo Big South. I think that's everyone's first thought when they hear of the conference.

zilla
July 6th, 2007, 03:33 PM
It'll be tough for Jerome to duplicate the numbers he had last year this season. He's a great WR, but it's hard to put up monster stats when he'll have a new QB throwing the ball to him. Also, he'll be double-teamed all season.

I'm looking for sophomore Jamar Anderson to have a breakout year. Santini Washington should have a successful season too.

justsaying
July 7th, 2007, 07:04 PM
The thing you have to remember is Simpson played in a predominately run-oriented offense his first three years. Tyler Thigpen didn't become a great QB until his senior year. There were a ton of BAD balls that Simpson went up and made plays on (the huge diving one handed catch against JMU). I've seen the kid play since high school. No one in this conference is anywhere close.

And that’s the point I am trying to make with Flagler, I have seen this kid catch a ton of bad hurried balls, and muscle his way for 10 to 15 more yards. Simpson has better speed and quickness, but I feel Flagler is the workhorse of the two that is able to make sure tackles into highlights, where Simpson on the other hand is able to make a highlight out of the whole secondary.

I think these two receivers are very talented in their own right; they just have different styles of play. But I would not say one is hands down better than the other. If you look at the stats the past two years when these two players made the most impact for their teams... The stats are very close...
Simpson total- 1604 receiving, 25 TD
Flagler total- 1566 receiving, 21 TD
Difference of 38 yards receiving, 4 TD

Other statistics

Simpson did have 419 yards receiving 8TD as a freshman, yet Flagler did not play much that year.

Flagler has a total of 938 kick return yards yet Simpson does not do kick return.

SuperJon
July 7th, 2007, 07:12 PM
I think you can't compare stats of the two. They playing field for them is so different not only in style of play, but in level of competition as well. As an outsider, not being a fan of either team, I say Simpson is hands down better. He should be playing in the ACC. Those coaches told him he was "too slow" though and didn't offer.

justsaying
July 7th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I think you can't compare stats of the two. They playing field for them is so different not only in style of play, but in level of competition as well. As an outsider, not being a fan of either team, I say Simpson is hands down better. He should be playing in the ACC. Those coaches told him he was "too slow" though and didn't offer.

What do you mean level of competition?, they played pretty much the same level of competition each year. Furthermore, simpson better maybe, hands down, not at all!!

SuperJon
July 7th, 2007, 08:53 PM
The level of competition was mainly last year. Then I looked at your schedule and realized it wasn't as far off of Coastal's as I had originally thought. I apologize for that statement.

rokamortis
July 7th, 2007, 08:56 PM
If you look at the stats the past two years when these two players made the most impact for their teams... The stats are very close...
Simpson total- 1604 receiving, 25 TD
Flagler total- 1566 receiving, 21 TD
Difference of 38 yards receiving, 4 TD

Not to argue, but to add something a little interesting - Simpson (94) had the above stats with less than 80% of the recptions than Flagler (119). The big question is if Simpson can continue that trend with a new QB. Flagler has the edge going into the season because of that.

justsaying
July 7th, 2007, 09:28 PM
The level of competition was mainly last year. Then I looked at your schedule and realized it wasn't as far off of Coastal's as I had originally thought. I apologize for that statement.

No worries, honest mistake.......

CSU BUCS
July 7th, 2007, 10:03 PM
He's good at posting without facts.

IaaScribe
July 8th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Flagler is legit. The kid can play.

SuperJon
July 8th, 2007, 12:19 PM
He's good at posting without facts.

No, I posted thinking G-W's only tough game last year was against App and Wofford both at home, thinking Coastal's schedule trumped theirs easily. Then I went and looked at the schedule and noticed UT-Martin was on there as well (on the road) and how that program is turning around quickly. I still think Coastal's was harder (at GSU, at Wofford, vs Furman, vs SC State) but G-W's wasn't as far off as I had originally thought.

CSU BUCS
July 8th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Maybe you should check the facts before you think?

I'm just messing with ya................:D

Don't take it personal.

SuperJon
July 8th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Most of the time I'm good from memory (which is sad that I know the schedules of everyone else in the league). I just forgot that UT-Martin was good last year.

zilla
July 8th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Gardner-Webb definately possesses the toughest schedule out of all the Big South teams this year:

2 FBS teams (Ohio & Mississippi State)
+
Appalachian State at Boone.

They'll be battle-tested for sure before conference play starts.

OLDLCOACH111
July 8th, 2007, 09:40 PM
They play at Wofford alsoxeekx

OLDLCOACH111
July 8th, 2007, 09:44 PM
then again playing against tough competition can only help them when they get into conference play, you may not be able to surprise them and wear them down physically and mentally because they been there and done that.........

SuperJon
July 8th, 2007, 10:19 PM
That's one way of looking at it.

The other way is that they could be beaten up before conference play and not have anything left in the tank.

justsaying
July 9th, 2007, 09:22 AM
That's one way of looking at it.

The other way is that they could be beaten up before conference play and not have anything left in the tank.

it can happen like that, if they are beaten up, they have VMI, Charleston Southern, and Savannah State next before heading into Coastal and Liberty.. Not saying all of those are easy wins, but they would likely be solid ones, which will gain confidence, and those teams are not the most physical of the bunch...

g-webb1994
July 9th, 2007, 09:43 AM
The VMI road game smells like a trap to me, coming off of back-to-back weeks at App and Wofford before it.

Like I've said before, if we play .500 or above football this season it will be Patton's best coaching job to date.

The main fear I have is being beat up physically before conference play, especially with our bye week coming after Jacksonville and before Mississippi State. Way too early IMO.

It will be neat, being a Gator fan, seeing Kerwin Bell on the sidelines for JU however, along with Ernie Mills as one of his assistants.

MarkCCU
July 9th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Gwebb can take VMI no problem. They have a tough schedule and it's getting to the point that if they beat CCU(which i doubt and hope they don't) then that'll just show thier progression and stregnth and help them in the long run.

insert..DUH

SuperJon
July 9th, 2007, 02:53 PM
it can happen like that, if they are beaten up, they have VMI, Charleston Southern, and Savannah State next before heading into Coastal and Liberty.. Not saying all of those are easy wins, but they would likely be solid ones, which will gain confidence, and those teams are not the most physical of the bunch...

What about beaten up psychologically? Look at LU in 05, they got killed 3 games in a row and couldn't recover from it at all.

justsaying
July 9th, 2007, 03:43 PM
What about beaten up psychologically? Look at LU in 05, they got killed 3 games in a row and couldn't recover from it at all.

Like I said, that three game stretch may help them build confidence... If they do get blown out somewhere along the line, I don't see them not recovering, in 05 they got blow out by Hampton and then took coastal to double OT beat VMI in double OT and then beat LU. in 06 they got blow out by UT Martin then App State and then went on a 4 game winning streak...I think it would come down to putting everything together and not giving up big plays.. I think this is a confident team that feels they have a shot at the title every single year...

OLDLCOACH111
July 9th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Gwebb can take VMI no problem. They have a tough schedule and it's getting to the point that if they beat CCU(which i doubt and hope they don't) then that'll just show thier progression and stregnth and help them in the long run.

insert..DUH

I agree, not to overlook VMI and CSU, Savannah state, but if GW beats CCU, then they play Liberty at home, and would love to win the championship on their home turf.. They would have nothing but momentum.. But the first three games up top are the momentum shifters.

SoCon48
July 9th, 2007, 04:54 PM

When you get killed that badly early in the season, it usually means it just wasn't quite there to start with.
You did give high flying Coastal a run for their money though.

SuperJon
July 9th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I was a Coastal student then. That's the game that got me to Liberty.

SoCon48
July 9th, 2007, 07:27 PM
That was a step up.

justsaying
July 11th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I was a Coastal student then. That's the game that got me to Liberty.

as a fan, I'm sure(hope) there were other factors for you transferring than the performance of the football team?

SuperJon
July 12th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Oh, definitely. That was the game that let me know about Liberty. Before that, I had never really heard of the school.

The Gadfly
July 12th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Liberty beats Coastal, CSU, and VMI, but loses to G-Dubb

G-Dubb will likely sweep the whole field.

Coastal will likely be beaten by G-Dubb and Liberty.

The rest . . . who cares.

PC, though not officially eligible, will beat CSU, VMI, and possibly a sleeping "giant".

MarkCCU
July 13th, 2007, 06:44 AM
I see the GWebb and Liberty games as being tough ones but I think we'll end up winning those games.

MarkCCU
July 13th, 2007, 06:46 AM
I agree, not to overlook VMI and CSU, Savannah state, but if GW beats CCU, then they play Liberty at home, and would love to win the championship on their home turf.. They would have nothing but momentum.. But the first three games up top are the momentum shifters.

Charleston Southern is not longer the whipping boy of the Big South, that honor is held soley by VMI. It's gonna take some mad game to slide past them with a "W" but Gwebb can accomplish the task.

vmifan
July 13th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Charleston Southern is not longer the whipping boy of the Big South, that honor is held soley by VMI. It's gonna take some mad game to slide past them with a "W" but Gwebb can accomplish the task.

VMI has decisively beaten CSU at home each year they have played and I would hope the same this year.

IaaScribe
July 13th, 2007, 04:32 PM
I predict CSU will go back to being the whipping boy of the Big South this season.

Sly Fox
July 14th, 2007, 10:44 AM
I agree 100% Scribe. VMI is getting its act together and its going to be a long fall for the Bucs.

terrierbob
July 14th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Any idea of why VMI is in the Big South? They were in the SOCON for what seems like forever...

GoldandBlack
July 14th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Any idea of why VMI is in the Big South? They were in the SOCON for what seems like forever...

Two-year old article, but I think it answers the question:

LEXINGTON - One reason VMI left the Southern Conference for the less strenuous Big South in the summer of 2003 was the hope that its football and basketball teams would fare better.

But the football team didn't win a game last fall, and Bart Bellairs was relieved of his job as basketball coach this year after his team failed to make the Big South tournament. "The proof that it was the right move for us is certainly still under study," athletic director Donny White said of the conference switch.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/college/wb/xp-22833

Sir William
July 14th, 2007, 08:13 PM
When VMI left to go to the Big South, I didn't think they would immediately win the Big South in football; but I did think it was a smart move in order for them to be competitive. Their lack of success has been perplexing.

However, I think they have the right coach (Reid) for the challenge of making VMI competitive in Big South football; and I believe in 2-3 years, VMI may find themselves contending for the conference championship.

My xtwocentsx.

vmifan
July 15th, 2007, 07:47 AM

The Southern Conference at one time had many VA based teams, UR and W&M in the 70s, and going back further Va Tech. All those teams left the Southern and VMI was the lone VA based school in a Carolinas-based conference. Moreover, there was little opportunity to play the Va-based traditional rivals while in the Southern, as there were only 3 open dates and it gave little flexibility to play a 1A, a D2, 3 VA traditional rivals (UR, W&M, JMU), etc. The Big South on the other hand, has 2 VA-based schools (Radford and Liberty) both in very close proximity of Lexington. Additionally, with only 4 or 5 football games to play in conference, the schedule was wide open to play the traditional VA -based rivals, a BCS game, a D2 team, etc.
If VMI was in the state of NC or SC, it would certainly still be in the SC.

vmifan
July 15th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Two-year old article, but I think it answers the question:

LEXINGTON - One reason VMI left the Southern Conference for the less strenuous Big South in the summer of 2003 was the hope that its football and basketball teams would fare better.

But the football team didn't win a game last fall, and Bart Bellairs was relieved of his job as basketball coach this year after his team failed to make the Big South tournament. "The proof that it was the right move for us is certainly still under study," athletic director Donny White said of the conference switch.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/college/wb/xp-22833

that's an old article. Yes, I think the school is still reviewing what the best conference is for the future. And, who knows, there may be another conference in the near future, but VMI is beginning to be more competitive in the Big South and in general. The basketball team had a decent year and lost in the conference championship at the buzzer at Winthop. The baseball team finished 4th this year. The football team needs another year or two and it will also be right in the mix. Reid is the right coach, but changing the style of play requires a few years to get the right personnel to run it.

g-webb1994
July 16th, 2007, 10:19 AM
G-Dubb will likely sweep the whole field.

Gadfly, please forward whatever you are drinking and/or smoking to me here in Shelby. Thank you, G-W 94.xrotatehx xlolx

The Gadfly
July 18th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Gadfly, please forward whatever you are drinking and/or smoking to me here in Shelby. Thank you, G-W 94.xrotatehx xlolx

It's the vintage '92 "Sarcasm Creek". I bought a whole case.

I think G-Dubb will do well this season.

CID1990
July 18th, 2007, 08:15 AM
I never understood why VMI left the SoCon. I have heard and understood all of their reasons, but I still think it was a bad move. The old excuse that military schools can't compete and recruit is just that: an excuse. VMI can and will compete in football, and once they have the formula back they will be winning most of their games in the Big South. Unfortunately, winning most of your games in the Big South doesn't stack up to winning most of your games in the SoCon.

Chants '07
July 18th, 2007, 11:06 AM
If Coastals up and coming QB has any kind of arm, Simpson will make a strong run at All American this season. If he can keep his yap shut and play football that is.

Coastal's QB coming into the fall should be William Richardson. He's a redshirt junior who played in the shrine bowl as a high school senior, led his team to a 14-1 record and threw for close to 3,000 yards and 25+ TDs, finalist for 2004 Mr. Football which was won by Sidney Rice (Minnesota Vikings) was nominated for the Army All-American game, recruited heavily by Clemson (withdrew offer after signing another QB) and Hampton before comitting to Coastal. Big kid at 6'5" 215 220, big arm, though not as strong as Tyler's.

Coastal's concern is the offensive line and line backing corp.

Here are my grades

QB: B....plenty of talent, no experience.
RB: B+...tolbert is a monster, jamie fordham if he can stay healthy possess the big play ability, arthur sitton provides a change of pace.
WR: A....possess probably the best wideout in the country, should be playing in the ACC or SEC, EASILY! and he is HANDS DOWN BETTER THAN FLAGLER.
OL: C...return only one starter, could spell trouble

DL: A...reutrn plenty of experience, one 5th year senior (Adrian Grady) the rest are juniors and 4 year guys!
LB: C....Middle backer (D.J. Rice) is solid, the other positions are up for grabs. I've heard of a freshman that is here who is said to be 6'3" 220 with a 4.5/4.6 40 who may have to step in at the Sam spot.
CB: B...whitman reese is solid, they'll probably look to a sophomore to fill the other corner position, pending the reuturn of junior Travis Williamson.
S: B...Mario Norman should be 1st team all conference and will lead the secondary.

justsaying
July 18th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Gardner-Webb Grades
QB (B) Has a pretty solid returning starter in Devin Campbell who knows the system, Back up Stan Doolittle is pushing for the starting nod also, a former SC All state and Shrine Bowl MVP QB.

RB (C-) Very young at this position, no one is clearly the starter or better than the others. Philip Peoples (the bigger back) may get the starting nod but Dave Montgomery( the speedster) will see a lot of time as well.

OL (B) Returning Every starter but at the center position, they may make up for that by shifting around the OL, and making room for 6'7 AP All state lineman they signed from Kentucky. Demario Deese has started and been a first team all confrence choice since his freshman year.

WR (B) The highlight of the Corps is All American Flagler, but look at for Vonzell Pittman to make an impact as a possession receiver, the 6'5 200 pounder former all conference receiver red shirted the 06 season. There is also Collins who is a track standout and had 170 yards at the spring game. Also look for Tyson Petty, a former gaffney high SC stand out WR, and Patmon, 6'7 WR who will be a redshirt freshman.

DL (B-) Higlighted by All american DE Brian Johnston, All returning have been slated a starter at one point. They are solid in the middle,with 285 pound Daye and 275 pound Baker.

LB (B-) All American Brown may be the only consistent LB, all conference pick plavelko is pretty decent also.

DB (C+) Daniel cook will be a three year starter and is a two time all conference pick, fellow safety Simpson will also be a three year starter, followed by Sherill who will be a four year starter.

Thumper250
July 18th, 2007, 02:47 PM
As for G-W, I was told by a recent grad who knows one of the current players the other day that there are some very fast, very young defensive backs who could be making a big push at corner.

They've got nearly 60 kids already on campus for conditioning and second session of summer school. The Petty kid (Gaffney) is a stud and that 6-7 lineman is very agile for 340 pounds and could play a lot at tackle.

IF those young defensive backs can cover and run, the d-line is good enough to get pressure on the QB. Two younger linebackers they signed late, one an All-State kid from Atlanta I think, could also wind up pushing for early time.

Bottom line is that the D should be very very improved and the offense will be more effective running the ball with a bigger, more physical offensive line.

I'd guess, even with probably 3 sure losses (Miss State, Ohio, and App) they could finish as well as 8-3 with an upset of coastal and or wofford. More likely 7-4, which is pretty good for that team against that schedule.

Liberty should be scary this year though, but that game is the final one of the season. Would that be fun if both teams are in the race on the last Saturday of the year?

Anybody at Spangler Stadium for that NAIA title game in '92? I missed it!

Go...gate
July 18th, 2007, 05:20 PM
that's an old article. Yes, I think the school is still reviewing what the best conference is for the future. And, who knows, there may be another conference in the near future, but VMI is beginning to be more competitive in the Big South and in general. The basketball team had a decent year and lost in the conference championship at the buzzer at Winthop. The baseball team finished 4th this year. The football team needs another year or two and it will also be right in the mix. Reid is the right coach, but changing the style of play requires a few years to get the right personnel to run it.

I know the Patriot League would take them for all sports in a New York minute.

CID1990
July 18th, 2007, 06:33 PM
The Southern Conference at one time had many VA based teams, UR and W&M in the 70s, and going back further Va Tech. All those teams left the Southern and VMI was the lone VA based school in a Carolinas-based conference. Moreover, there was little opportunity to play the Va-based traditional rivals while in the Southern, as there were only 3 open dates and it gave little flexibility to play a 1A, a D2, 3 VA traditional rivals (UR, W&M, JMU), etc. The Big South on the other hand, has 2 VA-based schools (Radford and Liberty) both in very close proximity of Lexington. Additionally, with only 4 or 5 football games to play in conference, the schedule was wide open to play the traditional VA -based rivals, a BCS game, a D2 team, etc.
If VMI was in the state of NC or SC, it would certainly still be in the SC.

If we chuck all of those piece of crap non-football schools like the College of Choke and UNC-G, and get Richmond and W&M back, will you guys come back, too? Please?

vmifan
July 18th, 2007, 09:18 PM
If we chuck all of those piece of crap non-football schools like the College of Choke and UNC-G, and get Richmond and W&M back, will you guys come back, too? Please?

sure, but W&M and UR are too tied to the Northeast and are not going to look south anytime soon. I miss not being in the same conference as The Citadel. That is a great rivalry in all sports, but it is further intensified if we are in the same conference.

g-webb1994
July 19th, 2007, 10:04 AM
As for G-W, I was told by a recent grad who knows one of the current players the other day that there are some very fast, very young defensive backs who could be making a big push at corner.

They've got nearly 60 kids already on campus for conditioning and second session of summer school. The Petty kid (Gaffney) is a stud and that 6-7 lineman is very agile for 340 pounds and could play a lot at tackle.

IF those young defensive backs can cover and run, the d-line is good enough to get pressure on the QB. Two younger linebackers they signed late, one an All-State kid from Atlanta I think, could also wind up pushing for early time.

Bottom line is that the D should be very very improved and the offense will be more effective running the ball with a bigger, more physical offensive line.

I'd guess, even with probably 3 sure losses (Miss State, Ohio, and App) they could finish as well as 8-3 with an upset of coastal and or wofford. More likely 7-4, which is pretty good for that team against that schedule.

Liberty should be scary this year though, but that game is the final one of the season. Would that be fun if both teams are in the race on the last Saturday of the year?

Anybody at Spangler Stadium for that NAIA title game in '92? I missed it!

Good info Thumper!xthumbsupx Although like I've said before, if we pull off a .500 record or better with our schedule, it will be Patton's best coaching job to date.

Yes, I was there for the NAIA game. Why did Woody call a pass on third down and Central out of timeouts still boggles my mind to this day. If we just run the ball up the gut and keep the clock moving, Central State runs out of time around midfield, instead of having the extra minute to complete the game-winning drive.xbangx