PDA

View Full Version : McNeese Giving up of Grass

McTailGator
July 1st, 2007, 04:01 PM
Should have read, Giving up ON Grass...

McNeese officials have finally found a Synthetic Turf product that combined with adequate engineering will be capable of dealing with the groundwater infiltration in "The Hole". This, along with Title IX has prevented us from getting in the past.

http://www.gseworld.com/geosport/geomax_project_photos.htm

We have a Booster who is kicking in and will pay the entire cost of construction and material for installation of the the new playing surface, which is slated for installation as soon as the Spring "o8 game is over.

The state cleared the way for the new surface on Friday.

"http://www.regents.state.la.us/pdfs/Finance/finminutes/2007/mi06-27-07.pdf"

Last week the state approved construction of McNeese's new Field house by approving the 9.36 million dollar expenditure, which is about 2.5 million more than we originally were going to spend, but building costs and some modifications to the plans brought the cost up. Ground Breaking for the new facility will begin simultaniously along with construction of the new field turf project in April of 2008.

http://www.mcneesefieldhouse.com/images/fieldhouse01.jpg

MplsBison
July 1st, 2007, 04:47 PM
ANNNNNND another one goes
another one goes

another one bites the dust!

Next targets: Georgia Southern and Delaware.

Zoo
July 1st, 2007, 04:49 PM
McNeese is giving in to this fad eh? :(

th0m
July 1st, 2007, 05:20 PM
Especially great news that you're finally able to construct the fieldhouse! Congrats!

already123
July 1st, 2007, 05:28 PM
breakin tradition huh...??

slycat
July 1st, 2007, 05:30 PM
so now have all the slc teams given into field turf?

McTailGator
July 1st, 2007, 05:51 PM
so now have all the slc teams given into field turf?

UCA still has the real stuff for now.

It was kind of a no brainer given that it will be totally donated. Will save us nearly $45,000 a year in field maintance costs. Hard to deny that kind of a savings.

Also, the veiw from the new endzone clubhouse on the 2nd floor, which will be about 4 floors above the playing surface, will be an awesome site when recruits take a look down into "The Hole" for the first time. Typically our field looks like $H_t in January during their visits. Kinda hard to compete in the recruiting world like that.

already123
July 1st, 2007, 05:55 PM
i believe so....tell Tarelton that if they want to make the move, theymust follow suit!lol

katstrapper
July 1st, 2007, 06:17 PM
UCA still has the real stuff for now.

It was kind of a no brainer given that it will be totally donated. Will save us nearly $45,000 a year in field maintance costs. Hard to deny that kind of a savings.

Also, the veiw from the new endzone clubhouse on the 2nd floor, which will be about 4 floors above the playing surface, will be an awesome site when recruits take a look down into "The Hole" for the first time. Typically our field looks like $H_t in January during their visits. Kinda hard to compete in the recruiting world like that.

Maybe the RealGrass Surface we got at Bowers? Here is the final product.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a170/exbearkat/SH3.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a170/exbearkat/SH2.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a170/exbearkat/SH1.jpg

McTailGator
July 1st, 2007, 06:58 PM
Man that sure looks better than that mat you guys ripped out.

Congrats!

We are going with a different brand. The stuff we are putting in has a system better suited for dealing with our groundwater issues in the depths of "the Hole".

Also, our stuff is supposed to be cooler and won't have the rubber type of fill that supposedly gets all over the field house.

In all, McNeese will spend a little more than $10 Million on improvements to Cowboy Stadium beginning in April 2008.

Never thought I'd see the day.

MplsBison
July 1st, 2007, 07:26 PM
Will save us nearly $45,000 a year in field maintance costs. Hard to deny that kind of a savings.

Typically our field looks like $H_t in January during their visits. Kinda hard to compete in the recruiting world like that.

Can't say it any cleaner than that.

Lionsrking
July 1st, 2007, 07:33 PM
That's a good surface you guys are getting. A good friend of mine is the sales rep in this area for that company and I've seen their work.

McTailGator
July 1st, 2007, 08:04 PM
That's a good surface you guys are getting. A good friend of mine is the sales rep in this area for that company and I've seen their work.

Ark State, West Monroe High, and St. Thomas Moore HS had it put in last year.

I know we looked at Sprint Turf because our players said SLU's was the best they have ever played on, but our drainage issues made construction of Sprint Turf very expensive. This new stuff is specially designed to deal with the groundwater issues we have to deal with in "The Hole". Plus we won't have the rubber kick up issues to deal with and it's cooler.

MplsBison
July 1st, 2007, 08:22 PM
Indeed, if this new system proves itself in the next few years, the days of rubber infill systems are numbered.

I guess there's always something better down the road.

Za-KEE-uS
July 1st, 2007, 10:02 PM
hmmm looks like teams in the SLC will be saving a ton of money on laundry, no need to buy the expensive stuff to get rid of the tough stains, fake grass keeps ya clean......that would be a pretty good slogan xsmiley_wix

813Jag
July 1st, 2007, 10:18 PM
Good job. xthumbsupx Glad to see people are on the ball.

Baldy
July 1st, 2007, 11:31 PM
ANNNNNND another one goes
another one goes

another one bites the dust!

Next targets: Georgia Southern and Delaware.
Don't hold your breath. For us it's still cheaper for the natural stuff.
Besides, we have the best natural surface at any level of football. It's something we take great pride in.....in other words it ain't gonna happen.

BEAR
July 1st, 2007, 11:32 PM
If I recall correctly, I think UCA put in new real grass not too many years ago. I think they loaded a ton of sand under it to help with drainage. Arkansas ground tends to be hard red clay if you dig too deep so water would stand quite easily. The only problem with sand at my house is those stinkin ants love the heck out of it. Don't know if it is a problem at Estes, but Terminex is getting a ton of my cash. xmadx

Ronbo
July 2nd, 2007, 12:10 AM
The NFL has been doing a study on Field Turf vs. Real Grass in the frequency of concussions. What they found is that there are fewer concussions on Field Turf. Come to think of it, I can't remember any injury reports of a Griz player suffering a concussion since we put in our turf.

Grizalltheway
July 2nd, 2007, 01:25 AM
I honestly don't understand the point of field turf (other than saving money) in southern areas. It's one thing having it in Montana, where the field turns into a brown mud-hole in November (see cat-griz '05) but it shouldn't be that hard to maintain a good surface in Louisiana.

already123
July 2nd, 2007, 02:50 AM
The NFL has been doing a study on Field Turf vs. Real Grass in the frequency of concussions. What they found is that there are fewer concussions on Field Turf. Come to think of it, I can't remember any injury reports of a Griz player suffering a concussion since we put in our turf.

Well wait till the next time NAU comes up there! xsmiley_wix

(no smack, just jokin...)

Lionsrking
July 2nd, 2007, 03:25 AM
I honestly don't understand the point of field turf (other than saving money) in southern areas. It's one thing having it in Montana, where the field turns into a brown mud-hole in November (see cat-griz '05) but it shouldn't be that hard to maintain a good surface in Louisiana.

You would be surprised. Grass also turns brown in Louisiana once late October, early November rolls around. But we also have problems with the water table and having to play even one game in a torrential downpour can ruin a field for the entire season.

813Jag
July 2nd, 2007, 06:52 AM
I honestly don't understand the point of field turf (other than saving money) in southern areas. It's one thing having it in Montana, where the field turns into a brown mud-hole in November (see cat-griz '05) but it shouldn't be that hard to maintain a
good surface in Louisiana.
You'd be surprised, we had to do a total field upgrade after the 2001 season. At the start of the year we had heavy downpours turning our field in a mudpit. By the end of the season it was just brown. It was so bad people called our stadium "Mudford" instead of Mumford. xnonono2x xlolx

MplsBison
July 2nd, 2007, 07:46 AM
For us it's still cheaper for the natural stuff.

Because grass is magically cheaper in Georgia than in Louisiana?

No, it's not cheaper for you.

You're just stubborn.

MplsBison
July 2nd, 2007, 07:48 AM

Did you see the picture of McNeese when the field was literally nothing but mud?

Unacceptable at the DI level.

McTailGator
July 2nd, 2007, 08:47 AM
Don't hold your breath. For us it's still cheaper for the natural stuff.
Besides, we have the best natural surface at any level of football. It's something we take great pride in.....in other words it ain't gonna happen.

You guys and Southern do indeed have some good stuff.

McTailGator
July 2nd, 2007, 08:50 AM
You'd be surprised, we had to do a total field upgrade after the 2001 season. At the start of the year we had heavy downpours turning our field in a mudpit. By the end of the season it was just brown. It was so bad people called our stadium "Mudford" instead of Mumford. xnonono2x xlolx

You guys have the same natural grass system as Georgia Southern. It is very good stuff. The fact that you use you stadium for Track and field makes it necessary to keep real grass.

McTailGator
July 2nd, 2007, 08:53 AM

They also found that knee injuries were reduced as well.

McTailGator
July 2nd, 2007, 09:01 AM

Money is indeed a factor.

But, recruiting also has a lot to do with it as well. Got to maintain a nice apperance when those HS kids come for a visit. Hell many of them have installed the stuff at their highschools too.

Plus, "The Hole" at McNeese has some issues with Groundwater infiltration on some parts of the field. any significant rain can ruin the field for the rest of the season.

We also have to limit the use of our field for other purposes. Now we can rent it out for High School games, Jamborees, concerts, Band festivals, and we can allow our Soccer team to practice on it as well as our football team, which can't practice on our own field for more than an hour or two each week.

MplsBison
July 2nd, 2007, 09:16 AM
The fact that you use you stadium for Track and field makes it necessary to keep real grass.

Boise and Washington seem to do OK.

All it really requires is that you move the throwing events to somewhere other than the infield.

chrisattsu
July 2nd, 2007, 09:50 AM
i believe so....tell Tarleton that if they want to make the move, theymust follow suit!lol

Tarleton gave up the real grass a couple of years back in favor of turf. This was a sad day because we have a great Turf-Grass program that maintained the field, in addition to that our mascot used to be allowed on the field (a horse and rider). Since changing to turf they don't let to horse near the field.

Perks-
It saves the university money
It lures HS football playoffs (and championship games) to Stephenville. Apparently, they want the kids to play on turf.

Image of field
http://d16653.hosting.web.com/images/tarlelton%20web.JPG

andy7171
July 2nd, 2007, 09:53 AM
Tarleton gave up the real grass a couple of years back in favor of turf. This was a sad day because we have a great Turf-Grass program that maintained the field, in addition to that our mascot used to be allowed on the field (a horse and rider). Since changing to turf they don't let to horse near the field.

Perks-
It saves the university money
It lures HS football playoffs (and championship games) to Stephenville. Apparently, they want the kids to play on turf.

Image of field
http://d16653.hosting.web.com/images/tarlelton%20web.JPG
xthumbsupx Looks nice! xthumbsupx

813Jag
July 2nd, 2007, 10:01 AM
Boise and Washington seem to do OK.

All it really requires is that you move the throwing events to somewhere other than the infield.
Have you seen our budget? With the way things get done at Southern, that field would never get done, we're still waiting on the fieldhouse.

chrisattsu
July 2nd, 2007, 10:07 AM
xthumbsupx Looks nice! xthumbsupx

We need to revamp the stadium. It only holds 7,000 :(

bobcatalum05
July 2nd, 2007, 10:10 AM
I just dont see SW LA giving up on "Grass".

purplebear72
July 2nd, 2007, 10:29 AM
We need to revamp the stadium. It only holds 7,000 :(

I'd love for you guys to join the Southland someday but how much more purple can this conference get!

g-webb1994
July 2nd, 2007, 10:35 AM
Ask FU, Wofford, G-W, and GSU how their fields hold up in November. Poor would be a compliment, and that is with the NFL-level facilities Wofford has.

Field turf would actually be a money saver for schools in the long run, and would open up avenues for additional revenue for schools that want to use their stadiums for things other than sports.

MplsBison
July 2nd, 2007, 01:05 PM
Really the only negative people have with the new style turf is the infill.

It gets everywhere and it retains a good amount of heat.

This "even newer" style seems like it may have solved that problem.

I wonder if they'll develop a system that could be rolled up? That'd work great for NDSU.

McTailGator
July 2nd, 2007, 04:22 PM
Really the only negative people have with the new style turf is the infill.

It gets everywhere and it retains a good amount of heat.

This "even newer" style seems like it may have solved that problem.

I wonder if they'll develop a system that could be rolled up? That'd work great for NDSU.

The stuff they use in the Superdome in New Orleans can be disassembled and loaded on pallets and stored.

MplsBison
July 2nd, 2007, 04:41 PM
Yeah I've heard of that too. They have it in the Rogers Center (Toronto Skydome).

NDSU already has the roll up system in place though. Probably cheaper if we could just swap out rolls.

already123
July 2nd, 2007, 05:50 PM
good lookin field!

dgreco
July 3rd, 2007, 10:34 AM
bishop hendricken, thats my high school... i never knew we got fieldturf.

Baldy
July 16th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Because grass is magically cheaper in Georgia than in Louisiana?

No, it's not cheaper for you.

You're just stubborn.
I'm not stubborn, you're just uninformed.

Being a GSU grad is the inventor and developer of Tift Bermuda Prescription Athletic Turf and donates his expertise and more importantly his turf to sod all our athletic fields AND the drainage underlayment, then yes it is definitely much cheaper than the fake stuff.

So yes I guess grass is magically cheaper in Georgia than in Louisiana. xoopsx

Is there anything else concerning GSU that you want to know which needs clarification? :)

BTW, the next time you watch a football or a baseball game or even a soccer match on TV and they are playing on natural grass, chances are that the playing surface is Tift Bermuda Prescription Athletic Turf.

MplsBison
July 17th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Being a GSU grad is the inventor and developer of Tift Bermuda Prescription Athletic Turf and donates his expertise and more importantly his turf to sod all our athletic fields AND the drainage underlayment, then yes it is definitely much cheaper than the fake stuff.

So GSU pays zero for athletic field maintenance?

Come on now.

Baldy
July 17th, 2007, 12:22 PM

Come on now.
Where exactly did I say that "GSU pays zero for athletic field maintenance"
All I said it is much cheaper for GSU to keep real turf than pay for the fake stuff.

The fake stuff only lasts about 10 years on average. The field is only used for 5-7 football games per year on average, 1 or 2 graduation ceremonies per year, and the spring football game. It's not worth the $750K - $1 million price tag.

MplsBison
July 17th, 2007, 12:24 PM
It is worth the price tag.

As mentioned by McNeese, it helps recruiting.

Baldy
July 17th, 2007, 01:19 PM

Come on now.

When you have the best playing surface in football, changing to the fake stuff would dramatically harm our recruiting.

Besides, natural turf hasn't harmed Florida's or Ohio State's or USC's recruiting. If your stadium is a multi purpose facility, or if you have to play in a dome then the artificial stuff is great, but if your stadium is a football exclusive facility and you have the ability and know how to maintain it, a natural surface is the best way to go. JMHO

andy7171
July 17th, 2007, 01:25 PM
When you have the best playing surface in football, changing to the fake stuff would dramatically harm our recruiting.

Besides, natural turf hasn't harmed Florida's or Ohio State's or USC's recruiting. If your stadium is a multi purpose facility, or if you have to play in a dome then the artificial stuff is great, but if your stadium is a football exclusive facility and you have the ability and know how to maintain it, a natural surface is the best way to go. JMHO
Hey Baldy give is up he won't budge on this subject. You can argue until you are blue in the face and he will keep going through the circular arguement.
It's entertaining when he talks about how natural turf makes the players dirty and that isn't how the game should be played. xlolx

seantaylor
July 17th, 2007, 02:25 PM

Dumbest statement ever. Nobody wants to play on fake grass. The real grass is where it's at. Just look at the NFL to confirm.

MplsBison
July 17th, 2007, 02:34 PM

Not only don't you have the best playing surface in football, none of your recruits think that you do or care that you do.

But what recruit do see in the middle of December and January is the difference between a bright green turf field and a dead brown grass field.

natural turf hasn't harmed Florida's or Ohio State's or USC's recruiting.

Ohio State has fieldturf.

If your stadium is a multi purpose facility, or if you have to play in a dome then the artificial stuff is great, but if your stadium is a football exclusive facility and you have the ability and know how to maintain it, a natural surface is the best way to go.

The Baltimore Ravens disagree with you.

And I guarantee that you don't have more ability and know how for maintaining a grass field (let alone the budget) than them.

MplsBison
July 17th, 2007, 02:36 PM
It's entertaining when he talks about how natural turf makes the players dirty and that isn't how the game should be played.

I've never said that players shouldn't get dirty.

I have said that a mud bowl is an unacceptable safety hazard for the playing surface when alternatives exist.

Nice try though.

MplsBison
July 17th, 2007, 02:39 PM
The real grass is where it's at. Just look at the NFL to confirm.

Apparently the Patriots didn't get your memo.

89Hen
July 17th, 2007, 03:02 PM
And apparently you missed the post where I showed how the players rank the fields in the NFL and what large percentage prefer natural grass.

MplsBison
July 17th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I bet a lot of them don't prefer to wear hip pads and mouthguards.

I'm not real interested in what the players prefer when it comes to safety.

BearsCountry
July 17th, 2007, 03:30 PM

Ohio State has grass.
http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17300&KEY=&ATCLID=925256

MplsBison
July 17th, 2007, 03:36 PM
http://www.fieldturf.com/football/highProfile.cfm?highProfileID=178

BearsCountry
July 17th, 2007, 03:39 PM
If your stadium is a multi purpose facility, or if you have to play in a dome then the artificial stuff is great, but if your stadium is a football exclusive facility and you have the ability and know how to maintain it, a natural surface is the best way to go.

This is exactly right. The NFL clubs in outdoor venues that went with FieldTurf mainly bc they hold many non-football events at their stadium ie Gilette Field, Ravens Stadium, Giants Stadium in a region of the country where growing time is shorter and put too much strain on a field. Kansas City is debating about going to FieldTurf bc they want more college football played on their field and other events ie concerts. Philadelphia is a good example of a great grass field which is mainly used for football only. Not a lot of problems with it in Dec. and Jan.

89Hen
July 17th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I'm not real interested in what the players prefer
Yeah, you'd rather what the fans prefer. xlolx xreadx

Henny
July 17th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Why is there a guy from North Dakota saying UD is the next target for a plastic field?

UD just spent $900,000 to put in a high tech drainage system to support a natural grass field at Delaware stadium after the disaster of 05'. Due to this reasons, Delaware will probably be the last FCS team to put in synthetic turf.

Its not just tradition, its not cost effective at this point.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 17th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Congrats. Maybe the fools at my school will start construction sometime this century xlolx . The sad thing is the money has been in the bank since December for the project, and construction still hasn't started. Its really affecting our season book sales xeekx .

Baldy
July 18th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Not only don't you have the best playing surface in football, none of your recruits think that you do or care that you do.
I'll take the word of countless of athletic field specialists from professional and college programs who have come to inspect our field and drainage systems in order to get ideas on how to improve their athletic fields AND countless players and coaches who have stated that GSU has the best field they have ever stepped on over the uninformed opinion of a Field Turf rep from Minneapolis.

But what recruit do see in the middle of December and January is the difference between a bright green turf field and a dead brown grass field.
1. It's obvious you have never seen our field in November and December.
2. Judging by how our program has performed over the past 20+ years that we have played on that 'crummy' natural grass field, it's obvious our recruits have liked what they have seen in December and January.

The Baltimore Ravens disagree with you.
But the Miami Dolphins, San Diego Chargers, San Francisco 49ers, Green Bay Packers, Washington Redskins, and many many others don't.

seantaylor
July 18th, 2007, 02:08 AM
Ohio State has grass.
http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17300&KEY=&ATCLID=925256

He never had credibility anyway.

MplsBison
July 18th, 2007, 09:17 AM

Look:

http://www.fieldturf.com/football/highProfile.cfm?highProfileID=178

You think I just post links for no reason?