PDA

View Full Version : Commission Finds Errors in SavSt's Move

TexasTerror
July 1st, 2007, 12:32 PM
No recommendation about how to proceed from here, but SavSt did make a few mistakes in their move to Div I...or so says this blue ribbon commission...
----------------
Commission finds flaws with SSU's jump to NCAA Division I
But group did not recommend whether Tigers should remain D-I or move back to D-II

Saturday, June 30, 2007

A 10-member committee appointed by Savannah State University Interim President Julius Scott found fundamental flaws with the school's lack of fundraising and preparation before making the jump to the NCAA's highest level of competition.

The committee - The Blue Ribbon Commission on Athletics - did not, however, recommend whether the historically black university should remain in Division I (I-AA in football) or move back to Division II.

The Blue Ribbon Commission on Friday released a report that placed special emphasis on examining the university's decision in 1999 to move its athletics program from Division II to Division I in 2002.

http://www.savannahnow.com/node/316470

TexasTerror
July 1st, 2007, 12:38 PM
The report...

http://savannahnow.com/features/2007/pdfs/SSUfile.pdf

bobbythekidd
July 1st, 2007, 12:42 PM
I read that this morning. Odd that the authors recomending the move up still cannot be identified.

aggie6thman
July 1st, 2007, 01:07 PM
They can only go up from here. They just might be one of the worst overall athletic programs in the country. Hopefully they can turn it around.

Zoo
July 1st, 2007, 05:11 PM
They can only go up from here. They just might be one of the worst overall athletic programs in the country. Hopefully they can turn it around.

I agree with you about having bad athletics. But what do you mean they can only go up? I think they must move back down to Division II in order to have a chance at sucess.

aggie6thman
July 1st, 2007, 06:40 PM
I agree with you about having bad athletics. But what do you mean they can only go up? I think they must move back down to Division II in order to have a chance at sucess.

I disagree. What they need to do is find some quality coaches (local JC/D-II) and hire them to get the ball rolling. They need to get the right people in there to turn everything around. Hopefully the new President will do that.

SouthernEagle02
July 1st, 2007, 09:06 PM
As far as them moving to DII, their 2007 schedule includes 4 DII teams (Johnson C. Smith, FVSU, NC Central, & MV St) and one NAIA club (Edward Waters) so it looks like they may be headed back.

813Jag
July 1st, 2007, 10:14 PM
As far as them moving to DII, their 2007 schedule includes 4 DII teams (Johnson C. Smith, FVSU, NC Central, & MV St) and one NAIA club (Edward Waters) so it looks like they may be headed back.
NCCU is officially DI now.

Ruler 79
July 2nd, 2007, 10:17 AM
Does anyone know if they give the full 63 out?

g-webb1994
July 2nd, 2007, 10:22 AM
The main problem schools face in the D-1 jump, as my beloved alma mater can testify to, is the general lack of infrastructure in place to handle the move. More sports are required, meaning more athletes, meaning more compliance issues, conference regulatory issues, and academic issues as well.

Schools get the big-head to move, make the jump without putting infrastructure in place, and suffer during their first few years, especially when dealing with the NCAA, etc.

xtwocentsx

roadwarrior
July 2nd, 2007, 02:16 PM
The report states that they only gave out 25 football scholarships during the last fiscal year.

terrierbob
July 3rd, 2007, 08:34 AM

I live in the area and it's sad. They get annihilated in football. I think NCA&T gives them a run for the money in the "awfulness" index.

813Jag
July 3rd, 2007, 09:23 AM

I live in the area and it's sad. They get annihilated in football. I think NCA&T gives them a run for the money in the "awfulness" index.
A&T went down really fast. They won the MEAC in '03
A&T: 0-11 (2006), 3-8 (2005), 3-8 (2004), 10-4 (2003), 4-8 (2002), 8-3 (2001), 8-3 (2000)
Savannah State: 2-9 (2006), 0-11 (2005), 2-8 (2004), 0-12 (2003), 1-9 (2002), 2-7 (2001), 2-8 (2000)

R.A.
July 3rd, 2007, 03:10 PM

Naw... A&T even with their record, is still better than SSU.