PDA

View Full Version : Priority seating plan: Does your school have one?

Mort
June 30th, 2007, 11:06 AM
http://bozemandailychronicle.com/articles/2007/06/29/sports/10tickets.txt
"Priority seating plan a sign of the times"
Bozeman Daily Chronicle June 29, 2007

The article makes it sound like a lot of other universities already do this. Does your university? If so, how does its priority seating plan compare to the MSU plan? If not, are there plans in the works to start one?

For you James Madison fans, how is your plan working out, since the guy running the new MSU plan came from JMU where he ran that plan?

BearsCountry
June 30th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Missouri State has it for basketball I know, I'm sure football is similar.

rokamortis
June 30th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Coastal has a priority seating plan, but is a little different. The donation is built into the season ticket prices. There are two options right now, upper chair back seats are $260 each ($120 ticket + $140 donation)or lower bleacher seats are $155 each ($90 ticket + $65 donation). Also, as long as you renew you get to keep the same seats. The games have been pretty popular so they may have to readjust pricing and seating at some point, but I won't be too happy if we don't have some say in the process. I sit with a bunch of friends and want to continue to sit with them.

Here is the 2007 brochure: http://www.goccusports.com/tickets/2007FBSeasonTicketBrochure.pdf

DFW HOYA
June 30th, 2007, 01:23 PM
None.

NDSUFREAK
June 30th, 2007, 01:32 PM
I believe that NDSU does. It goes through teammakers and the more you donate or what club of teammakers you are apart of determines how close you are to the 50, how close you are to the field, or if you are in the red cushioned seats or not.

th0m
June 30th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Here's how JMU's sections are divided:

Priority seating: between the ~15's on the old-folks side, requires an annual donation of $75 (for season tickets) to the Duke Club.
Chairback seating: between the ~35's on the same side, requires an annual donation of $1500 (for season tix) to the Duke Club.

And then the rest. Here's a seating diagram:
http://www.jmusports.com/DukeClub/Reseating/StadiumViews.asp
(you can click the sections for a view from that spot)

There are also a bunch of giving levels for certain parking rights and such.

Our brand new athletics site is due tomorrow though, so maybe that brings some other changes.

89rabbit
June 30th, 2007, 01:43 PM
We do.

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15000&KEY=&ATCLID=897202

Ivytalk
June 30th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Harvard has one: "Priority seating" is anywhere in Harvard Stadium. "Other seating"= Yale Bowl!:p

Go...gate
June 30th, 2007, 02:39 PM
If you come to Andy Kerr and buy a seat - any seat, Colgate is thrilled.

JALMOND
June 30th, 2007, 05:02 PM
PGE Park in downtown Portland has skyboxes that are mainly used for baseball (right behind and up from home plate). I've noticed, though, that Portland State uses them during games, I believe by boosters and alumni. I'm not sure how much they go for, but I do believe that food and drinks are provided in them. Part of the improvement package built in 2000 for AAA baseball.

bisonguy
June 30th, 2007, 05:03 PM
For NDSU, any seats between the 10 yard lines require a contribuition.

Contribution amounts above the ticket price:
10-20 yard lines: $100/per seat
20-33 yard lines: $250/per seat
33-45 yard lines: $400/per seat
Between the 45's: $500/per seat

jessesd
June 30th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Hosftra tixs are free for students and sneaky alumns with IDs...... and you get priority seating.... no-one in the stadium!!!!
Now if you happen to be one of the few that pays... then you are treaded like royalty!!! LOL

The admin are just happy some people besides the parents show up for the football games.

For the BB games Hofstra had several sold out games (I had to pay the resale price last february of 10 dollars up, 100% markup from the original price of $5).

LOL

jessesd
June 30th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Now for the Gators.........In BBall this year its cheaper to get courtside tix at the Knicks than at the O'dome on the Alumni/towny side. if you are not an student

For Football about 60k tickets required donations!!! That leaves about 20k for the students and visiting teams. The rest go for regular game week sales and gifts!!!

ngineer
June 30th, 2007, 10:46 PM
The only 'priority' seating is for season ticket holders who purchase chairback seats.

UCABEARS75
July 9th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Yes we do.

already123
July 9th, 2007, 12:07 PM
its ridiculous!

HIU 93
July 9th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Yes

Tribe4SF
July 9th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Yes at W&M as well. Closer to the 50, the higher the required donation to be eligible. Center 3 sections are pretty much sold out permanently. Required donations go up from $100 to $500 as you move towards the 50.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 9th, 2007, 01:30 PM
It's a great idea for any school that has a popular fan base and is looking to the future. Priority seating allows the university to bring in more money to upgrade facilities, etc. This money as we all know does not grow on trees and given the hefty budgets for football, it can become quite expensive to "keep up with the Jones'"

At JMU, the cost structure is definitely within a reasonable range. More importantly, points are given for consecutive years given and similar categories that show that even true fans with smaller pockets can rack up the points over the years without having to drop a million dollar donation.

I know that at Virginia Tech, it really is all about the money, and older alumni are being kicked out of seats just because some younger guys can foot the bill. While I am a big proponent of capitalism and economics, this also bothers me to an extent.

As for smaller programs, priority points is a nice way to reward those that show they care for their alma mater - whether it is through time as a fan or by a financial gift. In order to ever become a big time program, the alumni must be in the habit of giving.

GannonFan
July 9th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Delaware does give preference to $$$ donors on home side on the section that covers the 50 yard line, but there isn't anything else after that and that's only a very small amount of people.

Yes, these programs do raise money, but you typically see much more of these programs in FBS, where it is indeed all about money.

DrG
July 9th, 2007, 01:39 PM
UMass has a priority point system based on athletic contributions and number and longevity of season tickets in football, basketball (men's and women's), hockey and lacrosse. But in terms of seating, it really only comes into play for men's basketball and hockey to a lesser degree. Even in the case of basketball, the importance is much less than when UMass was a national power back in the 90's and the Mullins Center was sold out for every game. As for football, you can have zero points and they'll gladly sell you choice season tickets.

SoCon48
July 9th, 2007, 04:59 PM
ASU has a priority plan. After the first 16,650 seats are sold, the priority for the next 6,000 buyers goes to the ones who can get to the grass bank in the endzone first. :)