PDA

View Full Version : UMass revisits viability of big-time football

saint0917
June 28th, 2007, 06:03 AM
The University of Massachusetts is once again looking into the viability of moving its football program to the highest collegiate level.

The UMass Board of Trustees Committee on Athletics plans to create a task force to consider a move to the Football Bowl Subdivision, formerly 1-A football, for the Minutemen.

"We intend to assemble a task force that will include representatives from all of the relevant constituencies and will conduct an open, inclusive and comprehensive review of this issue," UMass trustee and chairman of the athletic panel Matthew E. Carlin said in a press release.

"The Division I question has been out there for many years, and we would like to provide a conclusive answer. We enter this process with open minds and with no predefined outcome in mind."

UMass revisits viability of big-time football (http://blog.masslive.com/sports/2007/06/umass_revisits_viability_of_bi.html)

Dane96
June 28th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Unless Duval Patrick wakes up with a hard-on for UMASS FBS...this WILL NEVER EVER HAPPEN. They can form all the committees they want.

The politics of this Commonwealth will never, ever buck up the 15mm or so per year in extra $$, plus 100mm for a stadium.

UMASS, believe it or not, would be better served if it were closer to Boston. Bob Kraft is trying to build a new 20-35k seat "soccer specific" stadium and has been searching for partners.

Northeastern, depending on the site, would be the logical partner. If UMASS were located here, they would get the nod...and would save the state HUGE construction costs...most likely giving the legislature one less reason to vote down any athletic spending above the current rate.

saint0917
June 28th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Unless Duval Patrick wakes up with a hard-on for UMASS FBS...this WILL NEVER EVER HAPPEN. They can form all the committees they want.

The politics of this Commonwealth will never, ever buck up the 15mm or so per year in extra $$, plus 100mm for a stadium.

UMASS, believe it or not, would be better served if it were closer to Boston. Bob Kraft is trying to build a new 20-35k seat "soccer specific" stadium and has been searching for partners.

Northeastern, depending on the site, would be the logical partner. If UMASS were located here, they would get the nod...and would save the state HUGE construction costs...most likely giving the legislature one less reason to vote down any athletic spending above the current rate.

I agree this will never happen, well, it wont happen anytime soon. They bring this up every few years, form a committee, they do a little bla bla bla and that's it, see you in two years.

89Hen
June 28th, 2007, 08:11 AM
"The Division I question"
Um, nevermind. xcoolx

Kosty
June 28th, 2007, 08:18 AM
So now we'll get our third conclusive answer about FBS in 7 years and probably waste a ton of money looking in to what we already know......that it won't happen. Lovely. This is just a stroking of trustee Tocco's ego in my opinion.

Col Hogan
June 28th, 2007, 08:21 AM
So now we'll get our third conclusive answer about FBS in 7 years and probably waste a ton of money looking in to what we already know......that it won't happen. Lovely. This is just a stroking of trustee Tocco's ego in my opinion.

Exactly...as long as my Alumni Association $$$s aren't going into this boondoggle.....

saint0917
June 28th, 2007, 08:37 AM

Hitting the nail on the head. xnodx

colgate13
June 28th, 2007, 10:37 AM

C'mon - this is Massachusetts we're talking about here! Can't they just tax someone for the money? :p :p :p

Cobblestone
June 28th, 2007, 10:41 AM
I get the impression the Mass. general assembly gives about as much support to UMASS as their R.I. counterparts give to us. Unless Deval Patrick is a UMASS grad then you won't see this happen.

Like us UMASS is a basketball first and only school.

Dane96
June 28th, 2007, 10:51 AM
C'mon - this is Massachusetts we're talking about here! Can't they just tax someone for the money? :p :p :p

Lord I hope not...I am bled dry at this point.

dgreco
June 28th, 2007, 10:57 AM
It would be nice to see another local team at FBS level, I wont go to a lot of games, but atleat check one out.