PDA

View Full Version : More FBS BS UMass stuff..He we go again..

KAUMASS
June 27th, 2007, 06:26 PM
http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/umas-m-footbl-body.html

Another study for FBS. We had a study in 1999 that only cost us $250k and that study concluded to revisit the issue in 5 years about going FBS.

It's funny as we just had a thread about this a week or 2 ago.

Get out the whipping posts on campus as I'm sure this will spark a big debate. Only one problem...show me the money!!

MplsBison
June 27th, 2007, 06:55 PM
All it takes is winning.

You start winning and you'd be surprised at how the dollars and the support comes in.

If they win the CAA and go deep in the playoffs this year, UMASS to FBS is a done deal guaranteed.

Fresno St. Alum
June 27th, 2007, 07:06 PM
They sure like to revist this a lot, 1999, 2003, and 2007. Well the MAC has a football only opening for them if they want it. Maybe UMass hopes that the Big East will split and they will add them to replace Boston College. Of course Memphis, ECU and C.Florida would all have something to say about that.

MplsBison
June 27th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Central Florida is probably going to get it anyway to make a travel partner for S Florida.

Maverick
June 27th, 2007, 07:22 PM
What has changed in the years since they did the last study in 2003? It looks as if the only FB conference available to them is the MAC which ain't cranking out lots of money to the membership. The only conference that makes sense is the Big East and that ain't happening if you talk with Tranghese or look at everything he says. Hell, from what I have heard this is the board of trustees behind this not the athletic department of the campus. Apparently there are also all kinds of things going on the chairman of the board and the president about looking at new "leadership" models. That means the currently chancellor is out after this year. He did too good of a job taking care of his campus instead of kissing the backside of the Boston bunch. The money to do of all this ain't coming from the legislature. UMass with all that is has stands a good chance of becoming the next Buffalo with the kind of "leadership" the president and the chairman of the board display.

Maverick
June 27th, 2007, 07:32 PM
MplsBison,
Your oversimplification of the situation has not been proven true based on winning the NC in 1998. Massachusetts is very different in terms of the public vs private schools. The "universities" of Massachusetts are Harvard, MIT, BU, BC. UMass-Amherst is out in the wilds of western Mass in a state where for many the state ends at I-495 just outside Boston. The state legislature is made up of grads of these private schools. UMass grads don't hold much power. College sports in Mass take a backseat to the pros. So the midwestern (as well as other parts of the country) experience and reality don't fly up here.

MplsBison
June 27th, 2007, 07:55 PM
And knowing that law school is a graduate school, it wouldn't surprise me at all if many in the legislature got their pre law done at UMass.

Fresno St. Alum
June 27th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Even if it's a bad idea. Put aside how you feel personally, is UMass going to FBS or staying? What do you guys think. I know it looks like the only spot for them is in the MAC. But What I think doesn't matter to what UMass wants to do.

I think that Texas St. will move to FBS soon.
I have no idea on this one. This being the 3rd study of a move up for UMass raises my eyebrow.

Col Hogan
June 27th, 2007, 08:03 PM
And knowing that law school is a graduate school, it wouldn't surprise me at all if many in the legislature got their pre law done at UMass.

Apprently you have not spoken with the UMass Alumni Association...give them a call and find out just how WRONG you are...

Next time you want to talk about UMass...do a little research...I spoke with them today...

Most members of the Massachusetts legislature ARE NOT grads of UMass at any level...

STOP SPREADING YOUR LIES!!!!!!!!!

MplsBison
June 27th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to get your pre law done at UMass, save a billion dollars, and then hop into one of the trillion JD programs in the state of MA?

Makes too much sense for it not to be true.

MplsBison
June 27th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Also,

http://www.umassd.edu/law/

Col Hogan
June 27th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to get your pre law done at UMass, save a billion dollars, and then hop into one of the trillion JD programs in the state of MA?

Responding to you is like mental 5318

Get's me no where...wastes useful brain cells

You live is a little world then project all your micro-thoughts on everybody else as if it's got to be real...

Col Hogan
June 27th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Also,

xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

A Proposal...at UMass Dartmouth...

How does a proposal to establish a law school 3 hours away from UMass Amherst (you do know that the Minutemen are from Amherst...Dartmouth is a DII or DIII school know as the Corsairs...but of course, you have done your research before you post) impact the undergrad school population of the Massachusetts legislature...which was your point...

MplsBison
June 27th, 2007, 08:22 PM
When I said UMass I wasn't referring specifically to Amherst. UMass is a 5 campus system.

Col Hogan
June 27th, 2007, 08:23 PM
When I said UMass I wasn't referring specifically to Amherst. UMass is a 5 campus system.

You were responding to a post about UMass football...an FCS school...don't try the shuck and jive crap...you were clearly refering to UMass Amherst...

DFW HOYA
June 27th, 2007, 08:42 PM
If Umass leaves the CAA, I guess the front runner is who...Lafayette? xeyebrowx

MplsBison
June 27th, 2007, 08:47 PM
You were responding to a post about UMass football...an FCS school...don't try the shuck and jive crap...you were clearly refering to UMass Amherst...

When referring to the entire state legislature, I was referring to the UMass system.

People who go to UMass Boston don't say "I went to UMass Boston". They say "I went to UMass".

Seawolf97
June 27th, 2007, 08:47 PM
I still think forming a new conference of FBS teams would be better than getting sent into the MAC . That would be FBS status at any cost. North of NYC you have U Conn, Army, Boston College and if you stretch it Syracuse. It would take money and alot of athletic politics you could have

UMass
UNH
Delaware
JMU
Army
Navy
Buffalo
With a 12 game schedule thats 6 non conference games and 6 pretty good conference games. I dont think there is one natural rivalry for UMass in the MAC.

Col Hogan
June 27th, 2007, 08:53 PM
When referring to the entire state legislature, I was referring to the UMass system.

People who go to UMass Boston don't say "I went to UMass Boston". They say "I went to UMass".

How many people from UMass have you ever spoken with...

UMass Boston folks identify themselves that way...My cousin, a UMass grad and former member of the football team and current employee at UMass Dartmouth, refers to it as UMass Dartmouth.

Only folks from the main campus refer to it as UMass...

It's a Massachusetts thing...you obviously don't understand (and have no desire when you can post ignorence and get away with it)

Dane96
June 27th, 2007, 09:01 PM

WHAT? Are you a complete baffoon?

Dane96
June 27th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Also,

****...I WORK(ED) for the state (the () is because I consult). I also hold a law degree from a Mass school. THERE WILL BE NO STATE LAW SCHOOL IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

That is a three year old article...and it got shot down in the legislature. The UMASS president just got a vote of no-confidence and most likely will be ousted.

But I guess the omniscient one from North Dakota knows about one of, if not THE, most political Commenwealth/State in the Union.

Move along...

Dane96
June 27th, 2007, 09:05 PM
If Umass leaves the CAA, I guess the front runner is who...Lafayette? xeyebrowx

Albany...mark it down. Stony Brook would be #1 with the stadium and rides...but Hofstra won't go for it.

Dane96
June 27th, 2007, 09:07 PM

No. They say "I WENT TO UMASS BOSTON" or they would get laughed at.

BearsCountry
June 27th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Albany...mark it down. Stony Brook would be #1 with the stadium and rides...but Hofstra won't go for it.

Wouldn't ODU be the smart one and just stay at 12?

Dane96
June 27th, 2007, 09:13 PM
True...totally forgot. But if the expanded out...I have heard UA is the number 1 target...from a variety of sources.

Maverick
June 27th, 2007, 09:19 PM
MplsBison,
No illusion like self-delusion is there. What else can you share with us from your in-depth knowledge of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts? Or are you quite finished trying to impress us with what the bull left in the barnyard? (maybe that is what the bison left on the prairie?)

BearsCountry
June 27th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Albany does make the most sense, especially if they get their program up some more.

Seawolf97
June 27th, 2007, 09:57 PM

I dont know what the issue would be with Hofstra. The schools are about 30 miles apart and compete now against eachother in just about every sport including football. Hofstra is a regular on all of Stonybrooks schedules men and women. We certainly arent going to steal away any fans from each other.
As you said we have the stadium and will be full scholarship in 2008.

slycat
June 27th, 2007, 09:59 PM
looks like umass and texas st have something in common

Col Hogan
June 27th, 2007, 10:04 PM
looks like umass and texas st have something in common

Continue.....

Dane96
June 27th, 2007, 10:10 PM
I dont know what the issue would be with Hofstra. The schools are about 30 miles apart and compete now against eachother in just about every sport including football. Hofstra is a regular on all of Stonybrooks schedules men and women. We certainly arent going to steal away any fans from each other.
As you said we have the stadium and will be full scholarship in 2008.

To be frank, I don't understand the issue either, however my buddy is on the board at Hofstra...and they would not want, according to him, SBU in the same league.

Who knows...maybe it changes...eventually...I think it will.

VT Wildcat Fan53
June 27th, 2007, 11:33 PM
They sure like to revist this a lot, 1999, 2003, and 2007. Well the MAC has a football only opening for them if they want it. Maybe UMass hopes that the Big East will split and they will add them to replace Boston College. Of course Memphis, ECU and C.Florida would all have something to say about that.

Unless I am mistaken, BC left the Big East for the money fields of the ACC 2 years ago.

As regards UMASS, if you leave, who will UNH have to grind their teeth about? ;-)

Fresno St. Alum
June 28th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Yes I know BC left. I'm saying UMass probably thinks they can replace them in the Big East fill the loss in that area.

Fresno St. Alum
June 28th, 2007, 12:40 AM
dane96, If Ga St. adds football and UMass leaves that would open the door again for the CAA to add Albany as a 14th team.

Also, do you know anything about Bryant(who's moving to D-I) joining the AEC to help start AEC football like you had talked about in the past? This could also cause more twists in the CAA FB membership.

slycat
June 28th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Continue.....

the repeated look into moving FBS

Fresno St. Alum
June 28th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Well that would fill the NEC for all sports with 12 and leave NJ Tech without a home unless Marist goes to the PL or the AEC takes a 10th member so that someone else would leave the NEC so NJ Tech could get in.

Dane96
June 28th, 2007, 06:47 AM
The only affect Bryant has on the football scene is if they go to the NEC. IF they do, then AEC football is NOT affected.

If CCSU got extended an invite (still most likely two years away) to the AEC as a card-carrying member of the all-sport league, THEN we would see more weight being thrown around about AEC football.

Why? Because if UMASS DOES NOT LEAVE FOR FBS (unlikely they will), you will eventually have UMASS, URI, UNH, MAINE looking for a home when GSU announces.

You would then have UNH, MAINE, CCSU, STONY BROOK, and ALBANY as all-sport members with football who would like a home. Toss in possible URI and UMass as getting booted...and bam...the conference everyone knows, but won't admit, will happen is actually reality.

Dane96
June 28th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Oh...and as for Bryant, if it is football ONLY...then there have been ZERO rumblings in the NEC about them. And I have it on a VERY GOOD SOURCE.

It is all or broke for them.

They also told recruits they are going to be a member of the AE for all-sports according to a report. Either that is poor reporting or flat out lies given to recruits; THE AE IS NOT EXPANDING NOW.

Kosty
June 28th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Maybe UMass hopes that the Big East will split and they will add them to replace Boston College. Of course Memphis, ECU and C.Florida would all have something to say about that.

That's exactly what the thinking among many alums is. We are waiting for the hoop schools to break from the football schools and then hoping for an invite from the football schools. I think I posted this in another thread a few weeks or months ago but a football conference with Syracuse, West Virginia, Rutgers, UConn, Pitt, Louisville, Cincy and USF along with UMass would be FUN!!! They obviously need to get another school to join to make it 10 though.

Memphis, ECU and C. Florida would have NO say in the happenings of the Big East though.....they are in C-USA.

MplsBison
June 28th, 2007, 08:44 AM
It's the football schools that are going to break away from the bball schools and keep all the bball money that they make for themselves.

Maverick
June 28th, 2007, 08:52 AM
BSBison,
Explain to us all how the NCAA and Big East revenue sharing plans work so that we can see how the football schools will break away to keep all of the bball money they are making.

Kosty
June 28th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Wouldn't it be the football schools breaking away and keeping all the FOOTBALL money they make from the BCS???

The thinking is that the hoops schools are mostly, if not all, private and reglious in some way and they have much more in common with each other than they do with the football schools.

MplsBison
June 28th, 2007, 09:15 AM
I believe the football schools already keep the football money.

Simply, it's the football schools that are making most of the bball money.

Obviously Gtown and Nova have done quite well.

But other than that, it's the fball schools who year after year are giving money to Providence, St Johns and Seton Hall. Depaul and Marquette don't help much either, but they just joined.

aceinthehole
June 28th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Bryant is about 99%sure they are going to join the NEC, got that from a really good source.

Bryant to the NEC is really the only move available to them (as I indicated in previous posts), but its is still probably 5 years away.

Unless CCSU, Monmouth, or QU leave for another conference, the NEC will VERY LIKELY wait until the "transition period" is over and Bryant is championship eligiable (2012-11).

Dane96
June 28th, 2007, 09:30 AM

But other than that, it's the fball schools who year after year are giving money to Providence, St Johns and Seton Hall. Depaul and Marquette don't help much either, but they just joined.

Another one of your insights?

The last I checked, the BASKETBALL TV CONTRACT and MULTIPLE APPEARANCES in the hoop tourney, heading deep into the tourney, is what gives the Big East its money.

Additionally, unless there is a huge buyout, the Big East brand is HOOP CENTRIC and the scuttlebutt is that the Big East HOOP schools will keep the name of the BE if it implodes, barring a MAJOR FINANCIAL PAYOUT FROM THE FOOTBALL SCHOOLS.

Football is important to the Big East, however BASKETBALL RULES THE ROOST.

Marquette, Nova, Georgetown, Seton Hall, Notre Dame, etc (HOOP SCHOOLS) have all brought in HUGE $$$ to the conference.

But again, you know everything about the Big East...xcoffeex

Go...gate
June 28th, 2007, 10:45 AM

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Georgetown and Villanova are long-time basketball powers (Villanova longer than Georgetown) and each mothballed FB for a while. You can hardly call them "FB schools", though the PL is most pleased to count Georgetown as a member.

Kosty
June 28th, 2007, 11:39 AM
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Georgetown and Villanova are long-time basketball powers (Villanova longer than Georgetown) and each mothballed FB for a while. You can hardly call them "FB schools", though the PL is most pleased to count Georgetown as a member.

I think he was saying, with the exception of all the football schools, Nova and GTown ALSO make money.

Fresno St. Alum
June 28th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Memphis, ECU and C. Florida would have NO say in the happenings of the Big East though.....they are in C-USA.[/QUOTE]

What I am saying is that the Big East would look to add Memphis, ECU or UCF before UMass if they split.

Fresno St. Alum
June 28th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Memphis, ECU and C. Florida would have NO say in the happenings of the Big East though.....they are in C-USA.

What I am saying is that the Big East would look to add Memphis, ECU or UCF before UMass if they split.

MplsBison
June 28th, 2007, 12:34 PM
The last I checked, the BASKETBALL TV CONTRACT and MULTIPLE APPEARANCES in the hoop tourney, heading deep into the tourney, is what gives the Big East its money.

And it's the superior bball programs of the fball schools that have gotten them to this point (as I said Gtown and Nova are exceptions).

MplsBison
June 28th, 2007, 12:35 PM
You can hardly call them "FB schools",

I wasn't.

Gtown and Nova are exceptions.

Fresno St. Alum
June 29th, 2007, 04:47 AM
I'm shocked, on the Big East section of the NCAAbbs board the Big East fans a very supportive of UMass moving to FBS and even getting into the BE as football or as a full if there is a split(I doubt it). The ones that don't think they'll get into the BE think that they can use the MAC as a stepping stone to the BE later on.

Well UMass has 1 opening in the MAC if they want it they'll get it. Motor City Bowl or FCS championship game? Good luck to ya UMass where ever you go.

Keeper
June 29th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Y'all need to remember one thing (previously posted on AGS)

UMass simply cannot draw attendance wise to qualify
for FBS. Too remote in a small state. Sounds like a
pipe dream to try to centralize the Univ and solicit more
general fund donations.

MplsBison
June 29th, 2007, 06:15 AM
What were UConn's numbers before and after?

This is no such thing as a remote area in the Washington->Boston megalopolis.

KAUMASS
June 29th, 2007, 07:45 AM

Uconn averaged about 8-12k per home game as FCS. They pretty much sell out 40k for home Big East games.

mainejeff
June 29th, 2007, 07:46 AM

Exactly.

mainejeff
June 29th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Uconn averaged about 8-12k per home game as FCS. They pretty much sell out 40k for home Big East games.

If UMass goes I-A and gets into the Big East......they will have no problem drawing 30,000+.

KAUMASS
June 29th, 2007, 07:56 AM
If UMass goes I-A and gets into the Big East......they will have no problem drawing 30,000+.

I would agree with that. Friday night games would draw even more.

Maverick
June 29th, 2007, 11:17 AM
In terms of Boston, UMass is in a remote area! And that little minor detail of facilities for those 30K+ crowds that are predicted would be paid by whom in Mass? The state legislature hasn't shown anything indicating it would provide funding. At UConn, the state provided a couple of billion dollars to the campus to fund all types of construction which did include the new stadium. That isn't going to happen at UMass! Not to mention the additional funding needed to increase the football scholarships as well as increased scholarships to ensure Title IX compliance would be a source of concern. Where have these big donors been that will now step up to fund this upgrade? As mainejeff pointed out, that 30k would happen with UMass in the Big East, but what about the MAC. Don't think the same attendance would happen. Those on the board may be wanting UMass, but the commissioner and some members don't share the enthusiasm for such a move. What does UMass offer to the Big East that would make them attractive?

MplsBison
June 29th, 2007, 12:45 PM
The state legislature hasn't shown anything indicating it would provide funding.

Win and ye shall receive.

What does UMass offer to the Big East that would make them attractive?

What did UConn had to offer?

andy7171
June 29th, 2007, 12:52 PM
What did UConn had to offer?
You mean other than already being in the Big East in all other sports or the school administration thinking only having a FCS program was hurting their recruiting in other sports(basketball) or the state not having a FBS school?

Maverick
June 29th, 2007, 12:54 PM
BSBison,
We have won and received what for it? This ain't the midwest but that means nothing to you since it should be the way you see it. As to UConn, they were already a hoop member of the Big East and had the financial backing of the legislature when it came to upgrading the facilities for football for practice as well as building the new stadium. UMass has neither of these. Don't let reality intrude on your illusion.

Dane96
June 29th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Actually, UCONN got lucky; The Gov. earmarked those funds for the Pats...and once Kraft abused and used the Conn government, the state figured "WHY NOT?", continuing the stadium project since those funds were "spent."

Either way, the Mass gov will not be giving this money to Amherst anytime soon.

Maverick and others are correct in their assessment.

PMB4Life
June 29th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I'm going to weigh in and say that UConn and UMass are completely different situations.

UConn is THE school in Connecticut, am I right?

UMass has to deal with BC, Harvard, and maybe even Boston University?

UMass going to the Big East might not yield the same results as UConn's foray.

UAalum72
June 29th, 2007, 01:44 PM
I'm going to weigh in and say that UConn and UMass are completely different situations.

UConn is THE school in Connecticut, am I right?

UMass has to deal with BC, Harvard, and maybe even Boston University?

Well no, Connecticut has Yale, and a number of other smaller private Division I colleges. But no other FBS school. and I'm not sure the borders make quite as much difference when the states are so small.

aceinthehole
June 29th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Arguing with someone like Bision who has probably never been to New England and has illogical and rigid views on FCS football is silly. I won't waste time even reading his posts.

However, for the record again, UConn is very different than UMass. And sorry Dane, the Pats did nothing to help upgrade UConn football. See my previous posts on the issue:

Bob Kraft's proposal to bring the Pats to Hartford had practically no impact on the UConn upgrade. The move to I-A would of happened without the Pats moving to the state, which of course is what happened. UConn got a 40,000-seat, $94 million stadium paid for by Conn. taxpayers on land dontated for free by United Technologies in E. Hartford. The Pats proposal was a $350 million public/private partnership to build a 80,000-seat stadium in downtown Hartford for economic development. The UConn use was just an added bonus.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?p=563569#post563569

Basketball is still king! The move to upgrade football was a BASKETBALL decision. If UConn didn't move to I-A there was a real concern that the basketball program would suffer by a decrease in national exposure, revenue, and possible loss of Big East membership. UConn will never be a I-A power. They will average 40-50k, and win a few bowl games here and there.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?p=563275#post563275

Dane96
June 29th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I stand corrected.

MplsBison
June 29th, 2007, 05:56 PM
You mean other than already being in the Big East in all other sports or the school administration thinking only having a FCS program was hurting their recruiting in other sports(basketball) or the state not having a FBS school?

I was thinking more along the lines of their 8k average attendance and no playoff wins.

If those kind of numbers make the Big East want to add a FCS school, they would love UMass!

Maverick
June 29th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Simple thoughts for simple minds. Such is the way of the BSBison. Being such a fool is bad enough, but the gloating pride that you show over it is truly amusing. Based on the reaction of many around here, they are disgusted but they should only be amused.

Fresno St. Alum
June 29th, 2007, 07:02 PM
UMass could do a minor upgrade to there stadium to make them good enough for the MAC if UMass is okay with this. Then they can play there for a while before they go to the Big East just like Buffalo;)

Col Hogan
June 29th, 2007, 07:45 PM
UMass could do a minor upgrade to there stadium to make them good enough for the MAC if UMass is okay with this. Then they can play there for a while before they go to the Big East just like Buffalo;)

Why on earth would UMass want to go to the MAC?

Give me one rational reason, and just to be FBS is not rational...

Fresno St. Alum
June 29th, 2007, 08:11 PM
I don't know why they would, maybe bigger paydays for body bag games and bowl games if they go to one. Why did WKU go? You know more about you're school than me, why would they. Why do they keep reviewing FBS?

Col Hogan
June 29th, 2007, 08:19 PM
I cannot explain why these incessent reviews take place...I think we need to build a consistant FCS program first...

But with all apologies to realtors, moving up to FBS requires three things...

CONFERENCE, CONFERENCE, CONFERENCE...

IMHO, if we can build a consistant FCS program, and a proper conference was there (MAC is not) then I'm OK with moving...

But why give up on FCS where we play for a real championship and move to a conference (non-BCS) that only plays in the Cheerios Bowl, or the Tidy Bowl.....

Unless you think it's just about the $$$ (I know, it's a business...)

Just MHO...

KAUMASS
June 29th, 2007, 08:32 PM
I just read my thread and I realized that I cannot spell. Correction "Here we go again"
I graduated from the Univ. of Mass, but I can't spell it.

This is the most pubic so far that UMass has been about reviewing going to FBS over the last 7 years initially. I was excited in years past, but
UMass historically works in dog years. The MAC doesn't seem realistic. A new conference when the big east splits or the big east seems the most viable. If Umass does not go FBS by the time the big east splits, UMass will be FCS forever. There is nothing wrong with that, brother!!

MplsBison
June 29th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Considering the monumental improvement UConn football has made and considering the point they started from, if UMass makes the same jump, they'll contend for BE titles.

Fresno St. Alum
June 29th, 2007, 08:33 PM
What I think UMass is thinking is that if they start in the MAC they can eventually go to the Big East if there is a conference split. That would be their only shot and a small one at that with Memphis, ECU, and UCF possibly being higher on their list.

Col Hogan
June 29th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Considering the monumental improvement UConn football has made and considering the point they started from, if UMass makes the same jump, they'll contend for BE titles.

You keep saying BE...They don't want us...IF...IF...IF

That has to come first.....

MplsBison
June 29th, 2007, 08:34 PM
I just read my thread and I realized that I cannot spell. Correction "Here we go again"

This is the most pubic so far that UMass has been about reviewing going to FBS over the last 7 years initially. I was excited in years past, but
UMass historically works in dog years. The MAC doesn't seem realistic. A new conference when the big east splits or the big east seems the most viable. If Umass does not go FBS by the time the big east splits, UMass will be FCS forever. There is nothing wrong with that, brother!!

There's also the possibility that with Rutger's improvement, they could be a target for the Big 10's further expansion into the NYC market.

Col Hogan
June 29th, 2007, 08:35 PM

AMEN brother....sing it loud...THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH STAYING FCS!!!!!!

Can I get an amen from the choir?????

Fresno St. Alum
June 29th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I say this is the view of the people that keep asking UMass to look to the FBS

from Kit-Kat on the NCAAbbs Board

I'm sure UMASS would like to think of itself as a player in FBS if they joined.....BUFFALO thought the same thing and lobbied unsuccessfully for the Big East, ended up in the MAC and basically has stunk.

I think the UMass study will find what the WKU study found is that these days in almost all cases it is better to be a FBS school than an FCS school even it means playing in a low level conference.

Hypothetical (UMass to the MAC)

1.UMass could go from 250k paydays @BCS schools to 800k paydays. Money games are much more money in the FBS than FCS.

2. Attendance in general at home will be better as you now play in FBS.....maybe not that much better than the MAC but still you will have alums that wouldn't support it before.

3.Scheduling. UMass even in the MAC could get FB 1 for 1's with Army, Navy, maybe even UConn.....this will increase revenue and attandance. Miami (Oh) even has a 1 for 1 with Syracuse so it can be done.

4.Recruiting. If UMass sits on its duff in FCS they won't build up FBS level talent they need for the Big East. FBS and the MAC would get them going.

5. The MAC has a TV package with ESPN, 3 bowls, and a championship game. That is more national TV than almost the entire FCS. Once again, the MAC beats FCS.

TV revenue in the MAC is now I believe greater than the A-10 including basketball.

6.Academically the MAC has some of the best graduation rates in the country. It has a storied 60 year tradition far older than the A-10 FCS conference.

7.Another great thing about the MAC is you don't need to spend a lot on coaching salaries either. 300k will land you a nice football coach. The MAC doesn't bring in huge football revenues but is very cost efficient for its members.

Col Hogan
June 29th, 2007, 08:45 PM
i give up...you've beaten me into submission...
you know little to nothing about massachusetts and its legislature...but you've beaten me with your "logic"....
i'll just crawl over here into my corner, lick my wounds, and write another check to the alumni association.....

MplsBison
June 29th, 2007, 09:14 PM
All it takes is vision by the adminstration.

NDSU could still be in DII right now at the top of the pile.

But instead we've moved up to FCS and we've seen growth that is unimaginable.

No one would've dared to even dream at how well it's going for us.

And yet we could've stayed status quo in DII. I laugh thinking about it.

KAUMASS
June 30th, 2007, 06:33 AM
AMEN brother....sing it loud...THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH STAYING FCS!!!!!!

Can I get an amen from the choir?????

AMEN...

Go...gate
June 30th, 2007, 02:22 PM
There's also the possibility that with Rutgers' improvement, they could be a target for the Big 10's further expansion into the NYC market.

You are correct. Big Ten would like nothing better than to have Rutgers and Syracuse and they have expressed this off the record in the media.

I also took the liberty of correcting the placement of your apostrophe in the school's name.

MplsBison
June 30th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Big Ten would like nothing better than to have Rutgers and Syracuse and they have expressed this off the record in the media.

I don't think they'd want both.

I think they'd prefer Rutgers since it's closer to NYC and it fits the profile of the Big 10 schools (other than Northwestern) as large state public flagships.

Go...gate
June 30th, 2007, 02:27 PM
I don't think they'd want both.

I think they'd prefer Rutgers since it's closer to NYC and it fits the profile of the Big 10 schools (other than Northwestern) as large state public flagships.

They like SU too because of the Carrier Dome and the compatibility of their academic profile.

Fresno St. Alum
June 30th, 2007, 04:12 PM
what? has the Big 10 finally given up on ND? I heard if they ever gave up on ND, that Missouri would be on the short list.

Johnny5
June 30th, 2007, 10:50 PM

The name means more than the degree. When it comes to the real world what matters Harvard and BC or UMASS?

Go...gate
July 1st, 2007, 03:16 PM
what? has the Big 10 finally given up on ND? I heard if they ever gave up on ND, that Missouri would be on the short list.

ND has a standing invite to the Big Ten but the odds of it ever being exercised are not good. You heard right about Missouri but the Big Ten also has kept SU and Rutgers on their radar.

Fresno St. Alum
July 1st, 2007, 10:35 PM
go gate, it's time they stop talking about the other 3 and do something with them. pick one and get a big ten title game.

Ruler 79
July 2nd, 2007, 11:58 AM
No...UMASS move up and let Albany take your place in the "SUPER CONFRENCE"

Col Hogan
July 2nd, 2007, 12:08 PM
All it takes is vision by the adminstration.

And lots of Money from the legislature

NDSU could still be in DII right now at the top of the pile.

But instead we've moved up to FCS and we've seen growth that is unimaginable.

No one would've dared to even dream at how well it's going for us..

Who paid for your stadium...

Who came up with the money for increase in scholarships...

Massachusetts legislature will not...This has been said by more posters than I can count, but you ignore it...

So we have an admiinistration with vision and no money...what's your answer to that quandry????

MplsBison
July 2nd, 2007, 01:12 PM

City of Fargo

Donations and increased student fees.

The state of North Dakota had nothing to do with it.

Now I'm not so sure you could get the taxpayers in Amherst to kick in 50 million for upgrades.

But you never know.

Col Hogan
July 2nd, 2007, 02:28 PM

City of Fargo.

Now I'm not so sure you could get the taxpayers in Amherst to kick in 50 million for upgrades.

But you never know.

I think I can say with a 99% certainity that the Town of Amherst will not come up with anything to fund stadium upgrades on the UMass campus...But if some other UMass grad/student/booster out there thinks I'm wrong...it's been a while since I took part in town politics there...

Donations and increased student fees.

Donations, maybe...we'd have to hit the right alumns...

Increased student fees...I'll keep my opinion to myself, and hope some current/recent students will chime in...

MplsBison, you make it sound so easy with little to no knowledge of the local situation...UMass and NDSU are different schools, in different states, with totally different situations...

Vive la difference as the French say...but don't bring your ways to our town and tell us we're doing it wrong...we know where we would like to be, and the challenges we have to overcome...you don't!