PDA

View Full Version : 2007 OVC Predictions

OSRacer
June 27th, 2007, 03:55 PM
This league is probably going to be wide open this year…even more so than usual. I’d say any of the top 5 teams here have a legitimate chance of winning the league. I think TSU and or JSU could finish higher and there is the chance that EIU falls on their face…
For what it’s worth.

1. Eastern Ill – Hard to pick against the consistency of Coach Spoo.
2. UT-Martin – Talent wise they are loaded. Should repeat and win a playoff game or 2….
3. Eastern Kentucky – Traditionally strong program hasn’t done much on the national scene in over a decade. If they can develop some chemistry they are going to be tough to beat.
4. Tennessee State – Might be a sleeper if they can stop anyone this year. Good Team.
5. Jacksonville State – JSU seems to be getting more and more inconsistent as the years pass. Still capable of winning the league.
6. Tennessee Tech – A new coach in Cookeville…I’ve always felt as if Tech underachieves…Watson Brown may be the answer….
7. Murray State – Much too young to compete. May finish even lower.
8. SEMO – Too many unknowns…
9. SAMFORD – leaving the league….have always been fundamentally sound…new coach….
10. APSU – back to the OVC after about a 10 years absence. They live in a pretty fertile recruiting area though so they have some potential down the road.

813Jag
June 27th, 2007, 04:07 PM
This league is probably going to be wide open this year…even more so than usual. I’d say any of the top 5 teams here have a legitimate chance of winning the league. I think TSU and or JSU could finish higher and there is the chance that EIU falls on their face…
For what it’s worth.

1. Eastern Ill – Hard to pick against the consistency of Coach Spoo.
2. UT-Martin – Talent wise they are loaded. Should repeat and win a playoff game or 2….
3. Eastern Kentucky – Traditionally strong program hasn’t done much on the national scene in over a decade. If they can develop some chemistry they are going to be tough to beat.
4. Tennessee State – Might be a sleeper if they can stop anyone this year. Good Team.
5. Jacksonville State – JSU seems to be getting more and more inconsistent as the years pass. Still capable of winning the league.
6. Tennessee Tech – A new coach in Cookeville…I’ve always felt as if Tech underachieves…Watson Brown may be the answer….
7. Murray State – Much too young to compete. May finish even lower.
8. SEMO – Too many unknowns…
9. SAMFORD – leaving the league….have always been fundamentally sound…new coach….
10. APSU – back to the OVC after about a 10 years absence. They live in a pretty fertile recruiting area though so they have some potential down the road.
I'm really interested in the Tigers, they're on the schedule this year.

Golden Eagle
June 27th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Any one of the first five could win the conference.

1) Tennessee State
2) Eastern Illinois
3) UT Martin
4) Jacksonville State
5) Eastern Kentucky
6) Tennessee Tech
7) Samford
8) SEMO
9) Murray State
10) Austin Peay

EKU05
June 27th, 2007, 05:25 PM
1. UT-Martin-They were the best team last year.
2. Eastern Illinois-Earned an at-large a year ago, and they'll be tough again.
3. Eastern Kentucky- A tale of two halves of the season a year ago. If the offense clicks from day one like it did the last month last year then the Colonels will win the OVC.
4. Jacksonville State-Always a title contender...and this year is no different.
5. Tennessee State-You get the feeling the Tigers are just around the corner.
6. Tennessee Tech- We'll see what Mack Brown's Brother can do in FCS.
7. Southeast Missouri-I'm really not sure what to make of the Redhawks.
8. Samford-So long, suckers! Seriously though...they can get hot and beat a few teams.
9. Murray State-Matt Griffin needs another year or two on the recruitng trail.
10. Austin Peay-Some have lamented their return, but I say welcome back to them...and Kudos for deciding to play scholarship football again.

PantherRob82
June 27th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I won't make any predicitions because I don't know the teams well enough top to bottom. I would guess UT-Martin, EKU and EIU will be the main contenders.

Looking forward to seeing if the OVC will perform better in OOC this year.

Cocky
June 27th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Any of the top 5 could win the league. This is the deepest the OVC has been since JSU joined. Should make for a fun season in the OVC.

JaxSinfonian
June 28th, 2007, 07:06 AM
I agree with most: The number of quality teams in the league has grown, and anyone considered to be in the upper half could walk away with the title. I'll be watching Tennessee State very, very closely.

Hopefully non-conference wins will pick up. With the quality in-conference, the champion could wind up with more than a couple Ls, though. Did we get that tie-breaker thing sorted out or what?

Golden Eagle
June 28th, 2007, 12:51 PM
No, still drawing straws. It's a very good possibility to happen again this year.

DetroitFlyer
June 29th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Watch out for Austin Peay. As a transitional team last year, they played far better than they ever did in the PFL. They did not win many games, but man were the scores close for the most part! I do not see them winning the OVC, but if you are not ready to play the Gov's on any given Saturday, you could be looking at an "L"!

Gorilla89
June 29th, 2007, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=EKU05;578819]

7. Southeast Missouri-I'm really not sure what to make of the Redhawks.
QUOTE]

I'm not sure why they moved up. Not a slam, but Pitt State beat the
hell out of them the first year (Pitt) moved from NAIA to D2, on the
Redhawk's home field. Back to subject, I would go with Eastern Ill 1 and
T-Martin 2. But that is only based on film/DVD's.

Sir William
June 29th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Watch out for Austin Peay. As a transitional team last year, they played far better than they ever did in the PFL. They did not win many games, but man were the scores close for the most part! I do not see them winning the OVC, but if you are not ready to play the Gov's on any given Saturday, you could be looking at an "L"!

Your joking, right?

Golden Eagle
June 29th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Peay did come fairly close (for them anyway) to upsetting Western Kentucky and UT-Martin last year. They just couldn't close the deal, but played much tougher than they had in previous years.

JaxSinfonian
June 30th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Peay did come fairly close (for them anyway) to upsetting Western Kentucky and UT-Martin last year.

Of course, nearly half their 2006 schedule consisted of D-II and NAIA teams. They were 2-3 in those games, losing to UM-Rolla, Cumberland College and North Greenville.

2007 is going to be a lot different for the Govs. They have a new coach. They're in a new (old) conference. And most importantly, they've got just one non-Division I game (Bethel of the NAIA). The level of competition they're going to see week after week is much higher than at any time in the last 10 years for them.

They may pick up a lucky win or two, but I think that's it. I wish them luck, but AP probably won't be making much of a splash in the OVC this year.

Zoo
July 1st, 2007, 05:04 PM
I think that Tennessee-Martin wins the Ohio Valley Conference this year, with Eastern Illinois in second.

already123
July 1st, 2007, 05:29 PM
i like TennSt...lets see if thier running game can return to prominence

EKU05
July 2nd, 2007, 10:39 AM
I think that Tennessee-Martin wins the Ohio Valley Conference this year, with Eastern Illinois in second.

Interesting to note that there is no match up between Eastern Kentucky and Tennessee-Martin. I was disappointed to see that after the Colonels defeated Martin down in Tennessee last year despite turning the ball over a trillion times.

The lack of a few head to head match ups opens the possibility for some very complicated ties.

OSRacer
July 10th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Bump

ekufbfan
July 10th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Any of the top 5 could win the league. This is the deepest the OVC has been since JSU joined. Should make for a fun season in the OVC.

EKU? We have the players to win it all and the fan desire for the Colonels to finally return to the national scene (TOO many years!!). Unfortunately, I don't think we have a coach who can make it happen. I hope that I am wrong!

EKU05
July 10th, 2007, 10:04 PM
EKU? We have the players to win it all and the fan desire for the Colonels to finally return to the national scene (TOO many years!!). Unfortunately, I don't think we have a coach who can make it happen. I hope that I am wrong!

I have faith in Coach Hope, but I think there are/were some weak spots in the staff. I'm glad to have a new OC after the debacle that was the first 7 games last year.

ekufbfan
July 11th, 2007, 03:03 AM
I have faith in Coach Hope, but I think there are/were some weak spots in the staff. I'm glad to have a new OC after the debacle that was the first 7 games last year.

Well, I am glad you do, wish I could say the same. But there has been too much bravado on what he was going to do with the program and very little action behind it. I believed at first, now he is going to have to show me something. I also believe he has had ample time and after the melt down of last year, THIS IS THE YEAR something must happen. He has certainly proven so far that he is NO Roy Kidd!

OSRacer
July 11th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Sounds like there is some dissatisfaction with Coach Hope in Richmond....

Is his job in trouble?

Sir William
July 11th, 2007, 09:55 AM
It would be good to see EKU return to a place of national prominence like they had in the early 80s. The OVC needs a perennial national power. Nobody has stepped up to the plate in years. IMO, most likely candidates to eventually do it would be EKU, EIU, or Jax State (possibly Tenn Tech, if Watson Brown can turn things on there). I know UT-M is having a heyday right now, but I don't see them becoming the Montana of the OVC. I could be wrong.

sugrad04
July 11th, 2007, 10:04 AM
I'm not sold on Watson Brown turning around Tenn Tech. I heard that he had serious PR issues at UAB , but who knows, he could prove me wrong.
While this is our final year, I don't harbor any bad feelings about any of our OVC foes and wish all the teams the best.xthumbsupx

tsutiger
July 11th, 2007, 10:20 AM
1. Tennessee State – The schedule Gods have been good to TSU this year. No Jacksonville State. Home games with EIU, UTM and Murray State. Only conference road game that may trip up the Tigers is @ Eastern Ky. Road games against Austin Peay, Tenn Tech will be basically home games for the Tiger. More then likely Tiger fans will outnumber Peay and Tech fans. The last road game of the season is a Thursday night match up @ Samford that will be shown on ESPNU.

This is the most talented team the Tiger have fielded in a very long time returning former 1st team All OVC quarterback A. Heffner and former 1st team All OVC runningback J. Williams. The Defense is headed by preseason 1st team All American and future 1st day NFL pick D. Rodgers-Cromartie.

2. Eastern Ill – Playing EKU and UT Martin at home gets them a second place finish.
3. Jacksonville State
4. UT Martin
5. Eastern Ky.
6. SEMO
7. Murray State
8. Tennessee Tech
9. Samford
10. Austin Peay

ekufbfan
July 12th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Sounds like there is some dissatisfaction with Coach Hope in Richmond....

Is his job in trouble?
Probably not....yet. But the debacle of last year, especially with the pre- season hype coming out of the football office and the home schedule we had did not sit well with most Colonel faithful. Losing to Tenn Tech and Western Carolina after having a lead at half time and then proceeding to do NOTHING on offense and defense the 3rd and 4th quarters was very disappointing to say the least.

This year? With what is the best UK team in years and WKU at their place early on combined with most of the better OVC teams at their place this year, we certainly have our work cut out for us. I think many EKU fans are tired of hearing (for the last 5 years no less xeyebrowx ) how Hope is the savior of the EKU program and will return us to national prominence. We haven't even won the OVC and most fans are tired of hearing it. He has had time to make it happen and personally I think it is PAST time to put action behind his promises.

ekufbfan
July 12th, 2007, 08:04 AM
1. Tennessee State – The schedule Gods have been good to TSU this year. No Jacksonville State. Home games with EIU, UTM and Murray State. Only conference road game that may trip up the Tigers is @ Eastern Ky. Road games against Austin Peay, Tenn Tech will be basically home games for the Tiger. More then likely Tiger fans will outnumber Peay and Tech fans. The last road game of the season is a Thursday night match up @ Samford that will be shown on ESPNU.

This is the most talented team the Tiger have fielded in a very long time returning former 1st team All OVC quarterback A. Heffner and former 1st team All OVC runningback J. Williams. The Defense is headed by preseason 1st team All American and future 1st day NFL pick D. Rodgers-Cromartie.

2. Eastern Ill – Playing EKU and UT Martin at home gets them a second place finish.
3. Jacksonville State
4. UT Martin
5. Eastern Ky.
6. SEMO
7. Murray State
8. Tennessee Tech
9. Samford
10. Austin Peay

With Roy Kidd, I can't remember ever being picked to finish 5th in the OVC, maybe in the the mid 1960's when he first took over at EKU. Now, what does that tell you about our program?

OSRacer
July 12th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Believe it or not, I actually would like to see EKU return to prominence in the OVC. I believe it is good for the conference because EKU is a football school first (unlike most of the rest of the conference). Last year was bad for EKU, maybe this year without the pressure they can sneak up on some people.

EKU05
July 12th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Well, I am glad you do, wish I could say the same. But there has been too much bravado on what he was going to do with the program and very little action behind it. I believed at first, now he is going to have to show me something. I also believe he has had ample time and after the melt down of last year, THIS IS THE YEAR something must happen. He has certainly proven so far that he is NO Roy Kidd!

Let's qualify that last statement. Is he Roy Kidd in his prime? No, and very few (if any) are. However, my first year following EKU was Coach Kidd's 38th of 39. The teams now are clearly superior to those two, particularly the 39th one. Coach Kidd faced two DII opponents that last year...Coach Hope hasn't faced a single one yet, and has played a BCS team nearly every year. We've upped the anty on the schedule, and perhaps we did that too soon, but that's a completely different debate.

I do agree that this is the year that something has to happen. We didn't hire Coach Hope for nominal improvement...we hired him to win championships. He has the talent (he really does)...now we'll see if he can make it work for him.

youwouldno
July 12th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I like UT-Martin a lot. This year will determine whether Simpson is a good coach that inherited a team on the upswing from Griffin, or just a superstar in his own right.

ekufbfan
July 12th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Let's qualify that last statement. Is he Roy Kidd in his prime? No, and very few (if any) are. However, my first year following EKU was Coach Kidd's 38th of 39. The teams now are clearly superior to those two, particularly the 39th one. Coach Kidd faced two DII opponents that last year...Coach Hope hasn't faced a single one yet, and has played a BCS team nearly every year. We've upped the anty on the schedule, and perhaps we did that too soon, but that's a completely different debate.

I do agree that this is the year that something has to happen. We didn't hire Coach Hope for nominal improvement...we hired him to win championships. He has the talent (he really does)...now we'll see if he can make it work for him.

Don't take what I said out of context. xnonox I have been following EKU football since before you were probably out of diapers (i.e EKU 05?). Hope came here talking/bragging about what he was going to do to enhance/upgrade/do what had never been done before at EKU, (although how you can improve on national championships is beyond me) etc., etc., ad nauseum. So far? He has done nothing. I say put up or shut up. He has done neither. Case closed!

As far as playing DII teams, they came to Richmond to play (you may not recall we were also playing App State and Liberty on a home-home schedule and played at UCF, Oregon State and Bowling Green). Yes, we also had the likes of Slippery Rock on the HOME schedule. But I submit to you, how easy do you think it is to get teams to come to Richmond? During that time WKU had refused to play either in Richmond or in Bowling Green. More recently, we have had only 5 home games several of the past number of years. I think most EKU fans would like to see 6 home games even it meant playing a Slippery Rock or a Morehead State some years. Things aren't always as simple as you might have been lead to believe, especially where scheduling is concerned. As far as the teams you have seen during Hope's tenure being superior to Coach Kidd's last 2 years, that is a matter of opinion. They certainly have not proven it on the field.

As far as now having the talent to win..I sincerely HOPE that he does and I especially HOPE he has the talent to coach us to a OVC championship this year and FINALLY a return to the playoffs!

Maroons
July 13th, 2007, 03:48 PM
I'll toss a few cents in here... won't be much in the way of new material.

EIU and UT-M have to be the electable favorites. But JSU was in the hunt last year as well. Why are they getting ignored? And then we have EKU and TSU with some big "ifs." "IF" EKU can show up to play for the first 5 games of the season, they should have the talent to take care of business. "IF" TSU can get some protection around Antonio Heffner, he should make opposing defenses look like Marco Polo squads.

So where does that leave us? My predictions for how it shakes out:

1) UTM - Succeeded last year without consistent QB contributions. That should change this year as the QBs have a year's experience. Not having to play EKU (a team they have never beaten) will help also. However, they won't be able to sneak up on anyone and probably won't have a torrential downpour to help them beat JSU.
2) EIU - Panthers continue to find a way to win, with a boost from the return of Coach Spoo, who you might remember was out last season for surgery. They'll drop one or two OVC games somewhere.
3) TSU - Heffner will make things happen regardless of the help he gets (or doesn't get) from his O-line.
4) EKU - Colonels disappoint early, figure it out late. Too late. I hope I'm wrong, but it has been the rule rather than the exception, I'm sad to say.
5) JSU - Cocks struggle to replace Green and re-establish the punishing running game for the early part of the season.
6) Samford - Emerging talent will carry them out of the battle for the league basement (barely).
7) Tennessee Tech - Spends season learning the new coaching staff.
7) Murray - Team continues to improve but still has too much youth and not enough experience.
9) Southeast Missouri - New coaching staff and little momentum.
10) Austin Peay- They'll be better and more excited than people expect. It wouldn't surprise me if Peay didn't have to wait until 08 for its first OVC win in a long time.

JSU Fan
July 13th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Maroons,

JSU may not have a back with Clay Green's stats in 2007, but they have three backs who will more than keep up his pace.

Don't forget, before Clay Green there was Oscar Bonds. Before Bonds, there was Kory Chapman. Before Chapman there was Rondy Rogers.

While I don't agree with much our HFC does, he does know how to run the football.

Now, if he could just recruit a QB taller than 5'10".

xsmiley_wix

Out.

Cocky
July 14th, 2007, 12:10 AM
We have a new Green to put in his place!!!

JaxSinfonian
July 14th, 2007, 09:28 AM
But JSU was in the hunt last year as well. Why are they getting ignored? [quote]

Fascinating that you ask this question and then pick JSU 5th. Fair enough, though. I'm not sure what to expect from the Gamecocks this year either, especially with all the other good teams now in the hunt for the title.

[quote]5) JSU - Cocks struggle to replace Green and re-establish the punishing running game for the early part of the season.

As JSU Fan points out, one could take your statement above, fill in the name of a different back, and it would be exactly the prediction made for JSU (even by the pros at TSN) every other season for the last six years ... and those prediction always turn out dead wrong. The question is never our running game. It's the QB and the defense.

sugrad04
July 15th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I don't know how old some of the EKU fans are on here, but I had a chance to meet one of your best players and a Washington Redskins super bowl champion- Danny Copeland, yesterday. He was totally a class act, and he does a lot of great community work with young football players.
For you Tenn St fans, I met one of your former d-backs, Maurice Young, who is now playing at Lane. Do any of you know why he transferred down?? I didn't want to get into that with him, but I was curious because he's a product of a local high school.

Go Racers Go
July 15th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Here are my predictions

1. Eastern Kentucky (7-1) - defense is solid, could have the most potent offense if Greco returns to form. Ties with EIU with 7-1 OVC record
1. Eastern Illinois (7-1) - Always a threat to win the league, best program in the OVC right now
3. Tennessee State (5-2) - You never know about this team. Could finish at the top or the bottom. Solid offensive attack, if defense catches up they could win the title. Beats UTM in the final game of the season to take third place.
4. Tennessee-Martin (6-2) - Lost a lot on defense. Hasn't proven to be more than a one dimentional offense. That running game is solid though. Take a step back from last season.
5. Jacksonville State (5-3) - Lost too much on offense, but you can never count out Jack Crowe.
6. MURRAY STATE (4-4) - RACERS SNAP TWO-YEAR OVC WINLESS STREAK AND FINISH AT .500 IN THE CONFERENCE AND 5-6 OVERALL, SETTING UP A TITLE RUN IN 2008. MSU BEATS TECH, SEMO, TSU (REVENGE FOR LAST YEAR'S LOSS IN NASHVILLE), AND APSU. BEST CHANCE FOR THE RACERS TO WIN A STATEMENT GAME, SEPT. 29 AGAINST JACKSONVILLE STATE AT STEWART STADIUM. MSU DEFENSE WILL BE MUCH IMPROVED, DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR RICH NAGY IS ONE OF THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY. QUESTION MARKS ON HOW GOOD THE OFFENSE CAN BE. WHO WILL START AT QUARTERBACK AND HOW EFFECTIVE WILL THEY BE. TALENTED DUO AT RUNNING BACK IN JONES AND JORDAN BUT CAN THE OFFENSIVE LINE GET IT DONE.
7. Southeast Missouri (2-5) - Building a solid program. MSU and SEMO among the top teams in the conference in 2009. Will be better on defense, offense will struggle.
8. Tennessee Tech (2-6) - New coach but a pretty good quarterback. No solid running threat.
9. Samford (1-7) - Hello Southern Conference. A bottom team in the OVC will get pounded in that league. New coach. Won't play Murray State in 2007, means last season's ugly loss at home to the Bulldogs will be the last memories we have of Samford.
10. Austin Peay (0-8 ) - One of the top running backs in the league, but little else around him. Govs went 2-3 against NCAA D-II/NAIA schools in 2006. First couple years back in the OVC will be tough, but seems APSU has the resources to make this a successful program if they want.

ISUMatt
July 15th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I would think its EIUs division to win

ISUMatt
July 15th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Here are my predictions

1. Eastern Kentucky (7-1) - defense is solid, could have the most potent offense if Greco returns to form. Ties with EIU with 7-1 OVC record
1. Eastern Illinois (7-1) - Always a threat to win the league, best program in the OVC right now
3. Tennessee State (5-2) - You never know about this team. Could finish at the top or the bottom. Solid offensive attack, if defense catches up they could win the title. Beats UTM in the final game of the season to take third place.
4. Tennessee-Martin (6-2) - Lost a lot on defense. Hasn't proven to be more than a one dimentional offense. That running game is solid though. Take a step back from last season.
5. Jacksonville State (5-3) - Lost too much on offense, but you can never count out Jack Crowe.
6. MURRAY STATE (4-4) - RACERS SNAP TWO-YEAR OVC WINLESS STREAK AND FINISH AT .500 IN THE CONFERENCE AND 5-6 OVERALL, SETTING UP A TITLE RUN IN 2008. MSU BEATS TECH, SEMO, TSU (REVENGE FOR LAST YEAR'S LOSS IN NASHVILLE), AND APSU. BEST CHANCE FOR THE RACERS TO WIN A STATEMENT GAME, SEPT. 29 AGAINST JACKSONVILLE STATE AT STEWART STADIUM. MSU DEFENSE WILL BE MUCH IMPROVED, DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR RICH NAGY IS ONE OF THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY. QUESTION MARKS ON HOW GOOD THE OFFENSE CAN BE. WHO WILL START AT QUARTERBACK AND HOW EFFECTIVE WILL THEY BE. TALENTED DUO AT RUNNING BACK IN JONES AND JORDAN BUT CAN THE OFFENSIVE LINE GET IT DONE.
7. Southeast Missouri (2-5) - Building a solid program. MSU and SEMO among the top teams in the conference in 2009. Will be better on defense, offense will struggle.
8. Tennessee Tech (2-6) - New coach but a pretty good quarterback. No solid running threat.
9. Samford (1-7) - Hello Southern Conference. A bottom team in the OVC will get pounded in that league. New coach. Won't play Murray State in 2007, means last season's ugly loss at home to the Bulldogs will be the last memories we have of Samford.
10. Austin Peay (0-8 ) - One of the top running backs in the league, but little else around him. Govs went 2-3 against NCAA D-II/NAIA schools in 2006. First couple years back in the OVC will be tough, but seems APSU has the resources to make this a successful program if they want.

Welcome to the party Go Racers Go

EKU05
July 15th, 2007, 10:36 PM
I would think its EIUs division to win

EIU is right there, but I'll take Martin.

Weems
July 16th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Here are my predictions

Your very right, UTM was a one dimension team last year. It was very frustrating for me, as a student, to watch them drop many passes, but was very happy w/ there running game :). We got in a new recruit, a backup, recruited by Steve Spurrier at South Carolina. He will be able to throw the ball better, so hopefully he will live up to the hype in Martin :)

Maroons
July 16th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Never fear, JSU fans... preseason predictions aren't even worth the space they take up on someone's web server. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if JSU won the OVC again this year. I just didn't know where to put JSU and EKU in my list. You can flop them in my list if you want.