PDA

View Full Version : W&M gets new scoreboard.

Tribe4SF
June 24th, 2007, 06:02 AM
Zable Stadium will feature a new 60' tall scoreboard with video screen when Delaware visits for the first CAA Football game on August 30. The announcement was made last night at the annual Tribe Football reunion, which this year honored former W&M wide receiver, and Steeler HC Mike Tomlin. W&M President Gene Nichol reiterated the school's commitment to continuing improvements at Zable.

Pictured below with Tomlin are 2007 Tribe Captains Derek Cox and Brad Stewart.

Col Hogan
June 24th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Zable Stadium will feature a new 60' tall scoreboard with video screen when Delaware visits for the first CAA Football game on August 30. The announcement was made last night at the annual Tribe Football reunion, which this year honored former W&M wide receiver, and Steeler HC Mike Tomlin. W&M President Gene Nichol reiterated the school's commitment to continuing improvements at Zable.

Pictured below with Tomlin are 2007 Tribe Captains Derek Cox and Brad Stewart.

I hope to see it on October 27th when the Minutemen come to Williamsburg...

PantherRob82
June 24th, 2007, 11:57 AM
very cool.

LeopardFan04
June 24th, 2007, 12:26 PM
sounds great, Tribe!

th0m
June 24th, 2007, 04:34 PM
60' ? Nice! Are there any renders of it? Where will it go?

Tribe4SF
June 24th, 2007, 06:52 PM
No renderings yet. It will go behind the South endzone bleachers where the current scoreboard is located.

Tod
June 24th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Most excellent! Congrats! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

TheCatamount
June 25th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Good for them, now we need one

GannonFan
June 25th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Any idea on how much of it is actual video space? And if it's 60' tall, what's the width - just curious.

bluehenbillk
June 25th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Congrats on the new board, jealous & stumped that we don't have one yet. Can they do anything about the sightlines at Zable??

GannonFan
June 25th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Congrats on the new board, jealous & stumped that we don't have one yet. Can they do anything about the sightlines at Zable??

Maybe that's what the board's for - didn't see the play well enough, check out the replay!

MplsBison
June 25th, 2007, 08:48 AM

I heard they're going to do fieldturf in 08 and a video board in 09 at UD.

AZGrizFan
June 25th, 2007, 08:50 AM
I heard they're going to do fieldturf in 08 and a video board in 09 at UD.

Right before they move up to FBS, huh? xrolleyesx

Libertine
June 25th, 2007, 09:07 AM
This sounds very impressive. A 60' board would probably dwarf everything else in the stadium, so I'm really curious as to where W&M is going to put it. Are they going to pull out the temporary end zone seats?

andy7171
June 25th, 2007, 09:30 AM
This sounds very impressive. A 60' board would probably dwarf everything else in the stadium, so I'm really curious as to where W&M is going to put it. Are they going to pull out the temporary end zone seats?
Thats what I'm thinking too. 60' high is almost as tall as the stadium, if not taller.

GannonFan
June 25th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Thats what I'm thinking too. 60' high is almost as tall as the stadium, if not taller.

Giving it in terms of height is odd - most of the time you hear about boards it's in terms of length.

th0m
June 25th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Maybe the top of the scoreboard is at 60', but the thing is on columns and doesnt go all the way to the ground?

Tribe4SF
June 25th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Maybe the top of the scoreboard is at 60', but the thing is on columns and doesnt go all the way to the ground?

I think that's right. Height of the top from the ground is 60'. I'm guessing maybe 60' wide for the total board, but height of the actual board maybe 30'. I'll let you know when I hear.

jmufootball2
June 25th, 2007, 04:45 PM
probably like JMU's board, its very tall so you can see it with endzone bleachers. cant wait untill UD catches up with technology and installs one.

SuperJon
June 25th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Lib is crapping himself thinking of a board that big.

Any clue how much you paid for it?

Tribe4SF
June 25th, 2007, 05:04 PM
$800,000

PantherRob82
June 25th, 2007, 07:18 PM
We really need new scoreboards. xsmhx

Libertine
June 25th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I just have bad recollections of staring at that scoreboard the last time we were at Zable. It was like watching lottery numbers get posted up there, but only on the one side. If it's 60' high or across, that's still really too big based on my memory of the place. Maybe 60' diagonally?

Seawolf97
June 25th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Stonybrook's board over the North end zone is at least 60 feet tall with instant replay. The one over th south end zone is alot smaller.

GannonFan
June 26th, 2007, 09:19 AM
probably like JMU's board, its very tall so you can see it with endzone bleachers. cant wait untill UD catches up with technology and installs one.

Why? It's not like JMU travels in large numbers to Newark. Most of your fans will never see it anyway! xlolx

Libertine
June 26th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Stonybrook's board over the North end zone is at least 60 feet tall with instant replay. The one over th south end zone is alot smaller.

Yes, but LaValle is significantly less...let's say, intimate...than Zable. Zable reminds me of the quidditch stadium at Hogwarts.

th0m
June 26th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Why? It's not like JMU travels in large numbers to Newark. Most of your fans will never see it anyway! xlolx

Well we're pretty unselfish, we want other CAA fans to experience a video board as well ;)

Also, with an allotment of 800 tix, I don't see how we can travel in large numbers, anyway?

GannonFan
June 26th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Well we're pretty unselfish, we want other CAA fans to experience a video board as well ;)

Also, with an allotment of 800 tix, I don't see how we can travel in large numbers, anyway?

Only 12,000 season tickets for a stadium that seats 22,000 - anybody can call Ticketmaster for the other 10k tickets, why are you bound by the 800 allottment? xpeacex

th0m
June 26th, 2007, 11:34 AM
And we're the only fans who want those remaining 10k seats? Isn't this where you also tell me how you've had sell-outs for how many games/years now? :)

While we're offtopic btw, I noticed that tix for the W&M game actually cost more than the Delaware games, $21 vs. $25. Are all of W&M's tix more expensive, or do you just ramp up for certain games?

Tribe4SF
June 26th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Sideline tickets for Delaware and JMU are both $25. Other games are $23. Tribe has a shot to sell out all five home games this year.

GannonFan
June 26th, 2007, 12:29 PM
And we're the only fans who want those remaining 10k seats? Isn't this where you also tell me how you've had sell-outs for how many games/years now? :)

I could but you've already done that for me! ;) Games don't typically sell-out until a week to maybe 3 weeks before the game - since JMU doesn't come to Newark until November, and tickets go on sale sometime in August, that should give you and everyone a good 3 months to get tickets. That's normally enough of a window, don't you think??? ;)

th0m
June 26th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Yeah yeah I know... Wait why aren't we giving W&M a hard time about their lack of stadium at the 50yd line ;)

On a more serious note, W&M is doing great things with Zable. First it was the lights, the Laycock Center, the turf (although, that could also be bad in some people's eyes) and now a new scoreboard...Did you find a sugardaddy or something? Either way, good for W&M, and good for the CAA.

Tribe4SF
June 26th, 2007, 02:05 PM
We've found multiple sugar daddies!xthumbsupx

These improvements are being funded by a small number of donors.

GannonFan
June 26th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Hey, I'm happy with the video board - those with bad sightlines in Zable can now, on occassion, see what they're missing. Don't get me wrong, I think Zable is the best locale of all CAA stadiums, I just don't like the inability to see the game from so many seats.

jmuroller
June 26th, 2007, 07:43 PM
UD only sells out their games weeks before each game?

JMU has sold out every game the past 2 years weeks before the season even starts. That means we need a bigger stadium!!

Back on topic...that scoreboard sounds great for the Tribe! IMO, JMU's would look alot better if it was closer to the field. Not sure how you would do that.

GannonFan
June 27th, 2007, 07:45 AM
UD only sells out their games weeks before each game?

JMU has sold out every game the past 2 years weeks before the season even starts. That means we need a bigger stadium!!

Back on topic...that scoreboard sounds great for the Tribe! IMO, JMU's would look alot better if it was closer to the field. Not sure how you would do that.

????? Is that just bluster or is there actual facts behind that? Your season ticket base is only ~ 1/4 of the stadium and the place wasn't sold out for at least the last 2 games of 2005. If you have some evidence showing JMU has sold out the entire season by sometime in August, by all means, share. ;)

As for the W&M scoreboard, it does sound great, I'll just reserve judgement on how great until I see the finished product - how big the actual video board will be versus how much of the scoreboard is taken up by advertising or other things is a pretty significant, and as far as I can see from this thread, unknown item.

jmuroller
June 27th, 2007, 08:12 AM
????? Is that just bluster or is there actual facts behind that? Your season ticket base is only ~ 1/4 of the stadium and the place wasn't sold out for at least the last 2 games of 2005. If you have some evidence showing JMU has sold out the entire season by sometime in August, by all means, share. ;)

As for the W&M scoreboard, it does sound great, I'll just reserve judgement on how great until I see the finished product - how big the actual video board will be versus how much of the scoreboard is taken up by advertising or other things is a pretty significant, and as far as I can see from this thread, unknown item.

It was posted on jmusports.com. If I have time I will try to look it up. Just because the stands weren't full doesn't mean that the game wasn't sold out. Some of the fans didn't come after we were out of the playoffs. On top of that it wasn't a high profile opponent like UD, W&M, etc.