PDA

View Full Version : Big House Visit, Up close- Google Earth..

KAUMASS
June 21st, 2007, 08:30 PM
Google Earth shot from space...107,000-114,000 attendance.

Take it to the wolverines, Appalachian ST. BOL

BrevardMountaineer03
June 21st, 2007, 08:43 PM
We'll give'em all we got!
Go App!

Man, that's a huge stadium!

813Jag
June 21st, 2007, 08:50 PM
We'll give'em all we got!
Go App!

Give 'em all ya got. I'm sure someone on here has been to the Big House, but I've heard that it's not as loud as some of the other large stadiums.

PSUVikings
June 21st, 2007, 08:58 PM
100 K plus+ intimidating indeed.

Good luck App fans.

already123
June 21st, 2007, 11:00 PM
How many tickets is Mich allowing APP ST???

PSUVikings
June 21st, 2007, 11:25 PM

Does it matter? The Michigan fans will buy those tickets to.

GGASU
June 21st, 2007, 11:37 PM

The only way to get tickets from the Appalachian allotment is to be a Yosef club member at the $1500 per year level or higher. or be an appalachian state student or employee.

Michigan fans have no chance of getting any of the 3000-5000 tickets from the ASU allotment.

Calif_Colonial
June 22nd, 2007, 12:10 AM
Board of Regents OK'd 226 MILLION DOLLARS for Michigan Stadium. Renovations should be completed by 2010. Luxury Boxes (83) and increase stadium steating from 107,400 to 108,000 Big Blue Fans.

T-Dog
June 22nd, 2007, 12:10 AM
It seems like a good number of Michigan people are selling there tickets so they won't come gobble up out allotment.

Jag4Life
June 22nd, 2007, 06:29 AM
All Appy have to do is be USC. They screamed for a rematch with Ohio State but didn't beat USC.

813Jag
June 22nd, 2007, 08:40 AM
All Appy have to do is be USC. They screamed for a rematch with Ohio State but didn't beat USC.
What? xconfusedx

Jag4Life
June 22nd, 2007, 09:02 AM
What? xconfusedx

Appy can beat Michigan, but they have to be a USC. Michigan fans are still screaming about why they wasn't in the BCS game with Ohio State but couldn't beat USC, and Ohio State or Florida would have beat Michigan off the mapped.

AppMan
June 22nd, 2007, 09:07 AM
Give 'em all ya got. I'm sure someone on here has been to the Big House, but I've heard that it's not as loud as some of the other large stadiums.

I attended a Michigan / Ohio State game years ago and that crowd was not nearly as loud as the SEC & ACC (except WF & Duke) stadiums I've been in.

Mountaineer#96
June 22nd, 2007, 09:11 AM
Tennessee's stadium is much louder, The Big House is sorta spread out, so it really isn't all that loud. Many of our players that traveled to LSU in 2005 will already have that loud experience under thier belts. We had a good showing against the Tigers, and I expect we will against UM as well.

james_lawfirm
June 22nd, 2007, 09:23 AM
Appy can beat Michigan, but they have to be a USC. Michigan fans are still screaming about why they wasn't in the BCS game with Ohio State but couldn't beat USC, and Ohio State or Florida would have beat Michigan off the mapped.

Nah. ASU will just be Yosef. Oops, wrong quote.

james_lawfirm
June 22nd, 2007, 09:25 AM

Nah. ASU will just be Yosef.

phillyAPP
June 22nd, 2007, 09:38 AM

I'm not sure but I have 2 and they were only $50.00 each.
I would have paid alot more for this game. It might be the least expensive part of the trip. Drinks,plane,hotel, APP gear, ice, food ....

xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx

Stang Fever
June 22nd, 2007, 09:41 AM
That looks like a fun place to place. If there was any game i would go to as a ASU fan it would be that one.

I-AA Fan
June 22nd, 2007, 10:15 AM
Just some preseason ticket price ranges for you:

UM vs ASU = $115 - $500 (I-AA)
UM vs E. Michigan = $95 - $500 (IA mm)
UM vs ND = $325 - $1710 (rival)

OSU vs YSU = $155 - $3200 (I-AA)
OSU vs Kent St. = $140 - $650 (IA mm)
OSU vs Wisconsin = $280 - $1300 (rival)

UM vs OSU = $490 - $4200 (the game).

This is in Ann Arbor, that would double if it was in Columbus. I am not certain why the huge upside for the OSU vs YSU tilt, other than the fact that it is the opening game & they are hyping the Tressel connection. Still, that is unusually high. The larger I-AA bottom price is definately due to the fact that is the opening game in both cases. I would not expect too much of a drop for either of the I-AA games, as they are both openers, but I would not be surprised to see tickets go below face value ( $42um & $58osu) after the kick-off.

On a side note. UM is not even similar to ASU in terms of style, OSU & YSU are literally clones, with OSU throwing about 12% more. I really think this favors ASU, as the Wolverines will not waste precious fall camp time on this. Thus a chance to catch them off-guard. On the other hand, OSU does not have to waste camp time, the YSU match will be like a prep squad game. Oh well, the accountants will like this.

KAUMASS
June 22nd, 2007, 10:31 AM
If you are on google earth, they have a window that pops up on the big house..It was built with foundations to expand up to 150k seats.

89Hen
June 22nd, 2007, 11:38 AM
And ugly. Perhaps the ugliest I've ever seen. xeyebrowx

No_Skill
June 22nd, 2007, 11:58 AM

I think a better assessment than "ugly" is "simple". It is a very straightforward design without embelishment. I like it.

SoCon48
June 22nd, 2007, 03:19 PM

Easier to make a 20K stadium prettier. UM has to find a place for 100K people. Not much room for pretties.
It's something a 20K stadium isn't. Intimidating.

89Hen
June 22nd, 2007, 03:39 PM
Easier to make a 20K stadium prettier. UM has to find a place for 100K people. Not much room for pretties.
It's something a 20K stadium isn't. Intimidating.
Baloney. Pretty, intimidating and 100K...

http://www.kickoffzone.com/articles/images/OhioStadium04.jpg

http://smokeys-trail.com/neyland-2001.jpg

http://x02.ur.psu.edu/pi_gallery/albums/userpics/10003/beaver_stadium1.jpg

89Hen
June 22nd, 2007, 03:41 PM
I think a better assessment than "ugly" is "simple". It is a very straightforward design without embelishment. I like it.
Simple without being ugly...

http://www.oldprof.com/Images/Rose%20Bowl.jpg

th0m
June 22nd, 2007, 03:56 PM
With the future renovation at Neyland I will title it 'pretty'. What lacks at the Big House is a presence. It's too much buried in, compared to the other 100k+ schools. It only has a sence of presence from inside, not while walking past it. The pressbox is at ground-level.

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2007, 10:39 AM

no they would sell their tix to app fans.

colorless raider
June 23rd, 2007, 02:53 PM

For all the fans it is not that loud as it is a bowl with sight lines that are not that good.The stands slope away from the field so the noise is lost.

GoGuins
June 25th, 2007, 09:18 AM

Yes, been there many times. I will admit the stadium is old and needs major renovations which will happen after this season. $230 million worth

http://www.umich.edu/stadium/project-description/designs.html

It is a bowl shape and the noise tends to go out and upward but it still can get noisy in there if all 111k+ make noise. If your at the northwest end where the 30k+ student section is, that's the noisiest part of the stadium. The new renovations should help contain the noise.

The stadium was built in a "pit" so if your in the top row (97 rows in the BH) and look down, you are only around 25-30 ft from the ground. There could easily be another 30k seats added

GoGuins
June 25th, 2007, 09:21 AM
It seems like a good number of Michigan people are selling there tickets so they won't come gobble up out allotment.

If you check this site on 7/18, I'm 99.9% sure you will be able to buy leftover tickets for the ASU-Michigan game

http://ev8.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetGroupList?groupCode=GS&linkID=umichse&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

wsufan
June 26th, 2007, 03:41 AM
That stadium is simply astounding with 108,000+ there. I've been in attendance for two games, and it's terribly large (though, I still feel that Ohio Stadium feels larger). Interestingly, of the Football/Soccer stadiums in the world, it's the fourth largest.

Give 'em all you've got App St! This Gopher will be cheering for you!

th0m
June 26th, 2007, 06:02 AM
Largest in capacity, yes, but I'm willing to wager that there are quite some stadiums around the world that are larger in size but smaller in attendance.

jessesd
June 26th, 2007, 09:12 AM
I been to some of the other larger stadiums around the world, as a result of some of my travels and and the big house while large is rather utilitarian, no passion written inside (no matter whose team is Michigan Playing) Michigan fans are reather boring, the only game they are loud (not that much) is against OSU every other year . Neyland in UT is a loud place but I would not call it pretty or nice, actually is a rather homely collection of odd additions stuck in a place hard to get in or out. Some of the other larger stadiums around the world have more passion better sightlines or are much better place to watch sporting events. Nou-Camp in Barcelona is crazy place with soccer fans when full to its brim so is Azteca stadium in Mexico (I saw the Dallas/Houston 1994 game there and it re-describes footbal atmosphere on a large field).
The rose bowl is just like Michingan stadium (Large and utilitarian) and the place is not as loud by the comparison to any other mid to large stadiums placed on the Southeast or Midwest (we know the Northeast fans would never be as low as anyone in the Southeast)

JMU2K_DukeDawg
June 26th, 2007, 09:19 AM

I dunno, I've seen some other "Big" stadiums that look pretty ugly from outer space too... xsmiley_wix