PDA

View Full Version : Reality for our FCS schools.

Bulldog87
June 21st, 2007, 07:55 PM
A good fellow Bulldog fan told me yesterday that our beloved "DAWGS" might go 11-0 this season. He feels that our only losses could come vs Bethune Cookman and Hampton. It was to early for him to be drunkxlolx and he really thinks that we will beat S.Carolina and Air Force. I told him that I'd buy him a bottle of Johnnie Walker Gold right after the game if he's right and we beat USC. Sadly I think he won't partaking of any gold Sept 22nd. How many of you think that your squad has a real chance of beating a FBS opponent this year? Does anyone think that my boy is right and SCSU has a fighting chance vs USC or AFA?

th0m
June 22nd, 2007, 02:31 AM
If anything you'd have a better chance against Air Force than you do against USC. However, I still think it's a pretty tall order to beat either team.

I don't expect to win vs. UNC, I don't know what Tar Heel squad will show up with Butch as a coach, but I think we have a bigger chance than you do vs. USC. Wofford held up their own against USC last year though, so I wish you the best of luck.

HIU 93
June 22nd, 2007, 06:28 AM
A good fellow Bulldog fan told me yesterday that our beloved "DAWGS" might go 11-0 this season. He feels that our only losses could come vs Bethune Cookman and Hampton. It was to early for him to be drunkxlolx and he really thinks that we will beat S.Carolina and Air Force. I told him that I'd buy him a bottle of Johnnie Walker Gold right after the game if he's right and we beat USC. Sadly I think he won't partaking of any gold Sept 22nd. How many of you think that your squad has a real chance of beating a FBS opponent this year? Does anyone think that my boy is right and SCSU has a fighting chance vs USC or AFA?

Lord willing and the creek don't rise- y'all can beat Air Force. I don't think y'all have a shot at beating USC, and you are coming to us on home coming- you're taking an L that day. I say 9-2, with your losses being us and USC. We win the MEAC, and we both get in the playoffs.

SuperJon
June 22nd, 2007, 07:13 AM
I could just be a homer or too close to the program or something, but I fully believe we can compete with Toledo. I mean, c'mon, it's Toledo.

Franks Tanks
June 22nd, 2007, 07:19 AM
I could just be a homer or too close to the program or something, but I fully believe we can compete with Toledo. I mean, c'mon, it's Toledo.

Top 25 FCS schools can absolutely compete with and beat Toldeo, Liberty however cannot unless you expect to me mucg better than last year.

SuperJon
June 22nd, 2007, 07:34 AM
Which we do. Even though I hate preseason polls, we are preseason Top 25 in one of em.

We were young last year and lost four games by 12 points. Our quarterback developed big time at the end of the year. We only lost two impact players. Our OL is huge (I'd have to look it up, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's bigger than Toledo's). We have an NFL strength coach, and an ACC Associate Head Coach as our head coach.

With all this being said, we have all the reasons in the world to be good. Until we prove it on the field though, it means absolutely nothing.

slostang
June 22nd, 2007, 08:07 AM
I do not think that you could put University of Idaho in the "Good" FBS team catagory, but I expect Cal Poly to have a great shot at winning this FBS game.

Franks Tanks
June 22nd, 2007, 08:10 AM
Which we do. Even though I hate preseason polls, we are preseason Top 25 in one of em.

We were young last year and lost four games by 12 points. Our quarterback developed big time at the end of the year. We only lost two impact players. Our OL is huge (I'd have to look it up, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's bigger than Toledo's). We have an NFL strength coach, and an ACC Associate Head Coach as our head coach.

With all this being said, we have all the reasons in the world to be good. Until we prove it on the field though, it means absolutely nothing.

I dont know enough about your situation to comment more intilegently. This is not smack but when was the last time you had a winning season? and you do compete in the Big South so dont play in one of the more elite conferences. Im Just saying App. of Youngstown, or Montana, and some othersd would actually be favorites in my mind over toldeo, but you not their quite yet.

SuperJon
June 22nd, 2007, 08:18 AM
I'm by no means comparing us to App or YSU or any of those schools. Our last winning season was last year (6-5, 1-10 the year before). I'll be the first to tell you we don't play a tough schedule this year and that's due to a few different reasons (people still perceiving us as 1-10, wanting huge payouts, thinking our facilities still suck, or at that ASU level that Coach Rocco didn't want us playing yet). We have some very good players returning, both home grown players and guys that transferred in. Many of the players at UVA loved playing for Coach Rocco, so one transferred for more playing time (and is now a captain...he's also from Lynchburg), and 3 others took advantage of the NCAA transfer rules and grad school (only one of those got playing time at UVA, the other two just want one more year to play what they love). We have two other transfers who are from Lynchburg and decided to come home to play (LB and RB).

No one with half a brain will claim that LU should be top ten. No one will claim they'll be in the playoffs this year. Most of us do think that we'll be able to have a great year and be ranked near the bottom of the polls.

We're still only a year removed from 1-10. We can't expect a national championship two years after that. We're moving in the right direction though and all of us believe that with the current coaching staff, and the facilities, we are definitely on our way to becoming a special program. Our head coach was the assistant head coach at UVA before coming here. Our offensive coordinator was the OC at Rice before coming to Liberty. Our defensive coordinator has head coaching experience at the DIII level and was the DC at W&M before. Our QB coach played at Clemson, our LB coach was at Wisconsin before he came here. Our RB coach was at Oklahoma St before coming here, our DB coach has coached in NFL Europe, and our WR coach has play and coached at Florida. We're in prime position to get better, now we just have to prove it.

Franks Tanks
June 22nd, 2007, 08:27 AM
I'm by no means comparing us to App or YSU or any of those schools. Our last winning season was last year (6-5, 1-10 the year before). I'll be the first to tell you we don't play a tough schedule this year and that's due to a few different reasons (people still perceiving us as 1-10, wanting huge payouts, thinking our facilities still suck, or at that ASU level that Coach Rocco didn't want us playing yet). We have some very good players returning, both home grown players and guys that transferred in. Many of the players at UVA loved playing for Coach Rocco, so one transferred for more playing time (and is now a captain...he's also from Lynchburg), and 3 others took advantage of the NCAA transfer rules and grad school (only one of those got playing time at UVA, the other two just want one more year to play what they love). We have two other transfers who are from Lynchburg and decided to come home to play (LB and RB).

No one with half a brain will claim that LU should be top ten. No one will claim they'll be in the playoffs this year. Most of us do think that we'll be able to have a great year and be ranked near the bottom of the polls.

We're still only a year removed from 1-10. We can't expect a national championship two years after that. We're moving in the right direction though and all of us believe that with the current coaching staff, and the facilities, we are definitely on our way to becoming a special program.

Thanks, Probably the most important factor to having a strong football program is having an institution that strongly desires to have a good football program. Liberty clearly fits into that camp and it may take some time, but if their leadership, commitment, and desire is their as it seems to be that im sure you will be successful.

terrierbob
June 22nd, 2007, 08:36 AM

Wofford came close last year. I say you have a fighting chance.

SuperJon
June 22nd, 2007, 08:36 AM
I added some stuff about our coaching that I'm not sure if you saw or not.

Dr. Falwell wanted a good football team. Here's an excerpt from an article yesterday:

“He was our No. 1 fan and No. 1 supporter,” football coach Danny Rocco said. “He was a constant fixture at athletic events here.”

Falwell’s darling was always the football program. He spoke sincerely about the team – currently in the low-tier Division I-AA Big South Conference – one day playing Notre Dame and took proactive steps for improvement. After a program-worst 1-10 season in 2005, he personally fired head coach Ken Karcher and replaced him with Rocco, who boasts a lengthy pro/college résumé.

The wheels of progress are turning. Last August, construction was completed on a new Football Operations Center, a 60,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art facility that an Atlantic Coast Conference official recently graded “as good as anything in the ACC,” according to Barber. The football field’s old AstroTurf surface has been replaced with superior FieldTurf, and an expansion of 12,000-seat Williams Stadium is in the works.

“It’s building and growing and gaining momentum,” Rocco said. “The Lord wouldn’t have taken Dr. Falwell from us if his job wasn’t complete. His job was complete. We have a foundation, and now we’re ready to move forward.”

The motto for this year's team is "Good to Great." Coach Rocco's put out five things that will take our players from good to great both as players and as human beings (physical dominance, football IQ, social maturity, academic success, and spiritual growth).

I'm more than excited about what's going to come. We have lofty expectations, but until we prove it on the field, you will not see me saying we deserve anything more than the recognition we are getting now.

jessesd
June 22nd, 2007, 08:40 AM
Reality check....1, 2, 3,....
SCSU would be lucky if they can stay no less than two touchdowns away from Spurrier and his USC boys, for crying out loud!! that way past the homer catergory.... Agaist Air force, you will loose, but not by that much, but still a lost game.
On the other hand I do see Cal Poly giving Idaho a run for their money during the first half and maybe lead by a touchdown, but in the end the score will be on Idaho's favor, Cal Poly has a better chance of putting a much better game.

Liberty beating Toledo..... that's not going to happen, but keep praying, maybe a miracle!!!

I do forsee any top 25 FCS teams beating any bottom 3 low ranked Sunbelt teams, Maybe the same with the bottom 2 WAC and the bottom 4 of the MAC, but there are not many of those games in the schedule, are they?
Lets faced, FCS games against Bowl teams are the money games, we get pay to take a beating and keep the donors happy during the fundraisers.

Miracles do happen, but lets be realistic!!

Eyes of Old Main
June 22nd, 2007, 08:41 AM
Does anyone think that my boy is right and SCSU has a fighting chance vs USC or AFA?

Air Force is probably an easier target than South Carolina, but both are likely to overlook you and if the Bulldogs can hang around, who knows what can happen. I sure wish my Terriers could have punched in that TD late against South Carolina last year.

As for Wofford's chances against NC State, I think it will be a lot tougher since the Wolfpack now actually have a competent coaching staff. I think we can stay within a couple TD's, but I do not expect a win.

SuperJon
June 22nd, 2007, 08:45 AM
Never said LU would win. I said I feel that we can compete with them.

813Jag
June 22nd, 2007, 08:46 AM

When we played Tulane we're bigger than them on both lines but we made a BUNCH of silly mistakes and we ended up getting creamed. You have to play mistake free ball and not get worn down by the depth advantage.

SuperJon
June 22nd, 2007, 08:47 AM
Like I said, I will not, by any means, predict a Liberty win for that game. I will be very disappointed if we don't make the game competitive though.

89Hen
June 22nd, 2007, 08:55 AM
Does anyone think that my boy is right and SCSU has a fighting chance vs USC or AFA?
No offense, but no.

UNHWILDCATS05
June 22nd, 2007, 09:01 AM
I told him that I'd buy him a bottle of Johnnie Walker Gold right after the game if he's right and we beat USC.

Not blue? :D :D :D

jessesd
June 22nd, 2007, 09:01 AM
During my college career I observed the differences between good DII football (North Central conference), FCS (A-10, now CAA) and big time Football (SEC) and I can never be such a naive person to consider some of these predictions being posted here. Div II would get beaten by FCS and FSC would take a beating by FBS, thats the natural order of College football with the ocassional exception.
I love my FCS teams and I'll be loyal to them without being a homer, but If I ever had to predict who can win, I have to take a knee and accept that my FCS boys would not beat my FBS team, even putting a good fight and loosing means the same, a loss!!!!

Sir William
June 22nd, 2007, 12:49 PM
Air Force is probably an easier target than South Carolina, but both are likely to overlook you and if the Bulldogs can hang around, who knows what can happen.

Two of Air Force's new coaches are from Furman. I doubt AFA will be overlooking SCSU.

james_lawfirm
June 22nd, 2007, 01:00 PM

Wofford came close last year. I say you have a fighting chance.

Are you talking about S.Car. St.?

Go...gate
June 22nd, 2007, 02:00 PM

We're still only a year removed from 1-10. We can't expect a national championship two years after that. We're moving in the right direction though and all of us believe that with the current coaching staff, and the facilities, we are definitely on our way to becoming a special program. Our head coach was the assistant head coach at UVA before coming here. Our offensive coordinator was the OC at Rice before coming to Liberty. Our defensive coordinator has head coaching experience at the DIII level and was the DC at W&M before. Our QB coach played at Clemson, our LB coach was at Wisconsin before he came here. Our RB coach was at Oklahoma St before coming here, our DB coach has coached in NFL Europe, and our WR coach has play and coached at Florida. We're in prime position to get better, now we just have to prove it.

Don't be too sure. Colgate went from 0-11 to the playoffs in two years. It can be done if the players buy into the system.

SuperJon
June 22nd, 2007, 02:25 PM
While I agree with you it can be done, it shouldn't be expected.

PMB4Life
June 22nd, 2007, 03:18 PM
During my college career I observed the differences between good DII football (North Central conference), FCS (A-10, now CAA) and big time Football (SEC) and I can never be such a naive person to consider some of these predictions being posted here. Div II would get beaten by FCS and FSC would take a beating by FBS, thats the natural order of College football with the ocassional exception.
I love my FCS teams and I'll be loyal to them without being a homer, but If I ever had to predict who can win, I have to take a knee and accept that my FCS boys would not beat my FBS team, even putting a good fight and loosing means the same, a loss!!!!

Is there a class that everyone at Florida takes to turn them into a sniveling, pompous peacock? Joakim Noah must have passed with flying colors.

And for GOD'S SAKE it's LOSE not LOOSE! you went to four schools! FIGURE IT OUT!

There, I'm done.

jessesd
June 22nd, 2007, 03:29 PM
Is there a class that everyone at Florida takes to turn them into a sniveling, pompous peacock? Joakim Noah must have passed with flying colors.

And for GOD'S SAKE it's LOSE not LOOSE! you went to four schools! FIGURE IT OUT!

There, I'm done.
Is that true the meaning of IOWA is:

I= idiots
O= out
W= wandering
A= Around

when the only thing you have against my argument is my spelling, you really have issues!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

AZGrizFan
June 22nd, 2007, 06:23 PM
I do not think that you could put University of Idaho in the "Good" FBS team catagory, but I expect Cal Poly to have a great shot at winning this FBS game.

I will be SHOCKED if CP doesn't beat Idaho. Shocked, I say. xnodx xnodx

crunifan
June 22nd, 2007, 06:39 PM
Is that true the meaning of IOWA is:

I= idiots
O= out
W= wandering
A= Around

when the only thing you have against my argument is my spelling, you really have issues!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Perhaps his superior Iowa education (we do have among the best public schools in the nation as well as constantly rank as one of the smartest states) is just annoyed when people can't properly use their own language.

That's just a guess.

FCS Go!
June 22nd, 2007, 07:20 PM
cp = Cal Poly

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2007, 10:06 AM

That would be awesome. I miss Idaho. We had some great games with them in the 90s.

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2007, 10:09 AM
I think we have a shot at Iowa State. We only lost by 1 last year and should have a better team. They have a new coach so they'll either be more focused and keep us out of it, or he could be worried about the Big 12 and we could come out with the win.

TXST_CAT
June 23rd, 2007, 10:31 AM
TXST has BIG-XII Baylor this year and yes I feel we have a chance to bring home a W. In '04 we were one drive away from tying the game in the fourth vs the Bears. This year we have a better squad and our coaching is young and hungry. This couldbe the year the Bobcats Shock the BIG-XII and the BCS.

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2007, 03:53 PM
TXST has BIG-XII Baylor this year and yes I feel we have a chance to bring home a W. In '04 we were one drive away from tying the game in the fourth vs the Bears. This year we have a better squad and our coaching is young and hungry. This couldbe the year the Bobcats Shock the BIG-XII and the BCS.

The Bears suck pretty bad.

813Jag
June 23rd, 2007, 06:45 PM
I think outside of a top 10 BCS team, anyone has a shot. New Hampshire won last year so it's never impossible. If you have that mindset you shouldn't even show up. I never knew a bottom dwelling WAC team would be a shoo in to win any game. I think Cal Poly has a good shot.

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2007, 06:52 PM
I think outside of a top 10 BCS team, anyone has a shot. New Hampshire won last year so it's never impossible. If you have that mindset you shouldn't even show up. I never knew a bottom dwelling WAC team would be a shoo in to win any game. I think Cal Poly has a good shot.

Expand that to top 25 and I agree. Until a FCS team knocks off a top 25 FCS team that will be my standard.

813Jag
June 23rd, 2007, 07:12 PM
Expand that to top 25 and I agree. Until a FCS team knocks off a top 25 FCS team that will be my standard.
I say top ten because that's where the best of the best reside. But a team ranked 20- 25 is at least do-able. I really would like better showings against teams we match up against.

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2007, 07:25 PM
I would agree that 20-25 seems doable, maybe it's just we haven't had the luck of a top 10 FCS team playing a top 25 FBS team.

ngineer
June 23rd, 2007, 10:13 PM

A few years back, Toledo beat Penn State....

SuperJon
June 23rd, 2007, 10:20 PM
A few years back I was skinny and had a girlfriend.

What's your point?

Kill'em
June 23rd, 2007, 10:52 PM
I think Cal Poly beats Idaho and I also think we have a good shot against Colorado St. It depends on how the season goes to that point. If we improve and get on a roll we can win. If not, this miracle won't happen.

jessesd
June 24th, 2007, 12:46 AM
I would agree that 20-25 seems doable, maybe it's just we haven't had the luck of a top 10 FCS team playing a top 25 FBS team.

has anyone seen any stats on this.... I'm curious to see how many if any FCS (IAA) teams have beaten a top 25 (at the time) in the lets say "last 20 years or so!!!"

PantherRob82
June 24th, 2007, 01:45 AM
has anyone seen any stats on this.... I'm curious to see how many if any FCS (IAA) teams have beaten a top 25 (at the time) in the lets say "last 20 years or so!!!"

never.xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
June 24th, 2007, 01:46 AM

p.s.-if you had read the thread you'd see me mention it's never happened quite a few times, including last page. ;)

Lionsrking
June 24th, 2007, 08:19 PM
I feel we have a reasonable chance to beat Tulane and I feel we can compete with New Mexico State. We physically beat Tulane up at the line of scrimmage in 2004 but gave up a kickoff return for a TD and a big pass play on third and forever to lose 28-21. We have better personnel than we had two years ago and they've lost quite a bit, including their QB. We'll see what happens.

We competed well with New Mexico State last year despite not having an experienced QB. They return a lot and should be an improved team but so should we. We also play Big XII Kansas but I'm not expecting much out of that one other than I hope we compete hard and come out healthy.

windwalker
June 24th, 2007, 09:13 PM
A few years back I was skinny and had a girlfriend.

What's your point?

Now he does Subway commercials!!!xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

FargoBison
June 24th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I think NDSU could beat either Minnesota or Central Michigan, the games will definately be close but with new coaches at both schools it is kind of tough to determine just how they will be next year. Right now though I wouldn't be suprised if NDSU took down the Gophers, so far I have been less then impressed with their new coach.

813Jag
June 24th, 2007, 09:33 PM
I feel we have a reasonable chance to beat Tulane and I feel we can compete with New Mexico State. We physically beat Tulane up at the line of scrimmage in 2004 but gave up a kickoff return for a TD and a big pass play on third and forever to lose 28-21. We have better personnel than we had two years ago and they've lost quite a bit, including their QB. We'll see what happens.

We competed well with New Mexico State last year despite not having an experienced QB. They return a lot and should be an improved team but so should we. We also play Big XII Kansas but I'm not expecting much out of that one other than I hope we compete hard and come out healthy.
Tulane has never been big on their lines. Limiting turnovers is the key. I agree New Mexico State could be a good matchup for the Lions.

SuperJon
June 24th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Now he does Subway commercials!!!xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

I wish. I'd have a lot more money.

20 years old and in college doesn't lend to having too much money.

NoSpinZone
June 25th, 2007, 03:10 PM

Toledo?

2000 Weber State 51-0
2002 Cal Poly 44-16
2003 Liberty 49-3
2005 Western Illinois 62-14
2006 McNesse State 41-7

Granted Toledo was only 5-7 last year but McNesse State was a playoff team last year and got beat badly. Liberty will have their hands full.

SuperJon
June 25th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Once again, didn't say we'd win. I feel we can compete with them.

We were relatively competitive with Wake Forest last year (take out the first 10 minutes and we played em even), so I believe we'll be competitive with them.

g-webb1994
June 25th, 2007, 05:41 PM
For the sake of argument, Liberty plays Toledo closer than G-W plays Ohio.:( Even though we have Johnston, our defense has to learn to tackle again, a poor fact even though Ohio U. is replacing a bulk of their offense under Solich.

As for SCSU in Columbia? Ask Furman and Citadel for advice.....it can happen.;)

JALMOND
June 25th, 2007, 10:05 PM
I must say I like our chances against San Diego State. Looking at other Big Sky games against FBS teams (listed below), I'd say our game is probably the best chance.

EWU @ BYU-maybe
ISU @ Oregon State-doubtful
MSU @ Texas A&M-doubtful
UNC @ Hawaii-not hardly
NAU @ Arizona-maybe
PSU @ San Diego State-possible
Weber @ Boise State-doubtful

CopperCat
June 26th, 2007, 12:11 AM
I must say I like our chances against San Diego State. Looking at other Big Sky games against FBS teams (listed below), I'd say our game is probably the best chance.

EWU @ BYU-maybe
MSU @ Texas A&M-doubtful
UNC @ Hawaii-not hardly
NAU @ Arizona-maybe

EWU will NOT beat BYU, they are a better team than most think. They went 11-2 last year with a bowl win against Oregon. Not to mention that BYU lost only two games both by a field goal. EWU has been upgraded to "snowballs chance in hell."

ISU has a slimmer advantage than EWU, but not much. OU plays in the PAC10 against teams that are much more dynamic that ISU. The Bengals also have to find a new QB and rebuild a bit after last year's abyssmal ending. ISU has a "large snowballs chance in hell."

MSU has very little shot at all. A&M has a BIG team on both sides of the ball, and plays great teams every year, not to mention they have one of the most intimidating stadiums in college football IMO.

UNC has NO chance of beating Hawaii.

NAU has very little shot, unless their magical QB comes out of the woodwork and their "vaunted" defense is actually vaunted.

PSU does have the best shot of all, but after SDSU being embarassed their results the past few seasons maybe this one will be different. They also open up with ASU and WSU, so maybe that will hone their game a bit. I will predict an SDSU win.

I didn't know much about WSU so I bummed around on their athletics website and found that they hold some promise. Their running game was apparently pretty good in spring ball, as was their QB entourage. WSU may be the most underrated team in the BSC, IMO. They always play teams tough in conf play, and their defense is a solid bunch. Nonetheless, their chances against BSU are not good at all. After that crazy bowl win against OU last year, I'd say that BSU is for real and that they can play and beat just about anybody. Good luck WSU, I will be rooting for you.

Did I miss anybody?xcoolx

jessesd
June 26th, 2007, 02:53 PM

EWU @ BYU-maybe
MSU @ Texas A&M-doubtful
UNC @ Hawaii-not hardly
NAU @ Arizona-maybe

EWU a maybe against BYUxlolx xlolx xlolx .... are you nuts!!! I say not a chance, BYU is one of the strogest MWC teams... xrulesx xrulesx
PSU would put some fight against San Diego State in the first half, but they would collapse in the second half, lots of errors by the PSA offense, Defense not deep enough to stop the Aztecs, it would be ablow out score!!!.
all of these Big sky games are a loss to the Big Sky...

already123
June 26th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Honestly, no one has a chance at beating any of these teams except for PSU (small chance) and NAU (minimal)

SDSU is......well,bad
UA is better, but still U of A. Their defense vs NAUs offense will be the best match up

the rest of the conference has about as good of a chance of winning as we do hearing Bush admit the war on terror was on oil....

good luck to allxcoffeex

CopperCat
June 26th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Honestly, no one has a chance at beating any of these teams except for PSU (small chance) and NAU (minimal)

SDSU is......well,bad
UA is better, but still U of A. Their defense vs NAUs offense will be the best match up

the rest of the conference has about as good of a chance of winning as we do hearing Bush admit the war on terror was on oil....

good luck to allxcoffeex

If you don't even really have the QB situation resolved, how will NAU's offense match up at all? It's one of the first games in the year......Arizona by at least 2 TD's.