PDA

View Full Version : Street & Smith's Top 25 and AA Team

RichH2
June 21st, 2007, 01:25 PM
Picked up last night , very nice overall coverage for us and II and III.

Some of the conference picks unusual but interesting, Another pick for Holy Cross to win the PL.

OL FU
June 21st, 2007, 01:28 PM
Picked up last night , very nice overall coverage for us and II and III.

Some of the conference picks unusual but interesting, Another pick for Holy Cross to win the PL.

Did they have a top 25 for FCS?

Mountaineer#96
June 21st, 2007, 01:29 PM
what are some of the strange picks?

RichH2
June 21st, 2007, 02:12 PM
No surprise pick AppSt to win UNH at #3 Delaware at 7 but Mass at 12 Towson at 17 Hampton at 22 yale 23 and Holy cross at25. I figure mass to beat out UNH Hampton lost too much Holy Cross lots of O not much D. Lehigh or Colgate should edge them out. Yale decent team with nice O but Ivies Princeton harvard and Penn all too close. No one will come out undefeated. not much interest outside the northeast for me yet so no opinion on others

smallcollegefbfan
June 21st, 2007, 02:21 PM
1. App State
2. Montana
3. UNH
4. NDSU
5. UNI
6. McNeese State
7. Delaware
8. Illinois State
9. Portland State
10. Youngstown State
11. Furman
12. UMASS
13. SHSU
14. EIU
15. Wofford
16. Cal Poly
17. Towson
18. UT Martin
19. JMU
20. SIU
21. Coastal Carolina
22. Hampton
23. Yale
24. SDSU
25. Holy Cross

smallcollegefbfan
June 21st, 2007, 02:22 PM
Top Players
Offense: RB Kevin Richardson, App State
Defense: DE Bryan Smith, McNeese State
Newcomer: QB Rhett Bomar, SHSU

smallcollegefbfan
June 21st, 2007, 02:24 PM
ALL-AMERICA

OFFENSE
QB Ricky Santos, UNH
RB Kevin Richardson, ASU
RB Herb Donaldson, WIU
OL Kerry Brown, App State
OL Nate Safe, NDSU
OL Brennen Carvalho, Portland State- they spelled his first name wrong like everyone else but i corrected it on here
OL Chad Rinehart, UNI
C George Yarno, Idaho State
WR Alex Watson, NAU
WR Jerome Simpson, Coastal Carolina
TE Brad Listorti, UMASS
K Rob Zarrilli, Hofstra
RS Steven Whitehead, McNeese State

DEFENSE
DL Brian Johnston, Gardner-Webb
DL John Faletoese, UC Davis
DL Bryan Smith, McNeese State
DL Kroy Biermann, Montana
LB Mike Gallihugh, Colgate
LB Donald Thomas, EIU
LB Colin Disch, Albany
DB Tony LeZotte, JMU
DB Corey Lynch, App State
DB Bobbie Williams, Bethune Cookman
DB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State
P Mike Dragosavich, NDSU

Lehigh Football Nation
June 21st, 2007, 02:25 PM
7. Delaware
13. SHSU

xeyebrowx

Not that they're included, but those rankings are high....

Still, overall, not bad.

bluehenbillk
June 21st, 2007, 02:26 PM
UD 7th?? I was just at the bookstore yesterday looking for it, I'll have to go back.

Thank God it's out, they do the best job of FCS coverage of all the summer previews.

Model Citizen
June 21st, 2007, 02:29 PM
1. App State
2. Montana
3. UNH
4. NDSU
5. UNI
6. McNeese State
7. Delaware
8. Illinois State
9. Portland State
10. Youngstown State
11. Furman
12. UMASS
13. SHSU
14. EIU
15. Wofford
16. Cal Poly
17. Towson
18. UT Martin
19. JMU
20. SIU
21. Coastal Carolina
22. Hampton
23. Yale
24. SDSU
25. Holy Cross

I wonder where a knowledgeable writer would have put San Diego. Ranking them ahead of Yale, SD State, and Holy Cross is a no-brainer. But what if Yale actually belongs about #40? xeyebrowx

UncleSam
June 21st, 2007, 02:30 PM
No way Delaware should be ranked ahead of UMass, JMU and Towson, 17th, not 7th seems about right.

PSUVikings
#9, dang I hope these projections become reality

Hansel
xeyebrowx

Still, overall, not bad.
I could see SHSU winning the SLC and finishing 13 or so- UD in the top 7 is a stretch IMHO

PSUVikings
June 21st, 2007, 02:31 PM
ALL-AMERICA

OFFENSE
QB Ricky Santos, UNH
RB Kevin Richardson, ASU
RB Herb Donaldson, WIU
OL Kerry Brown, App State
OL Nate Safe, NDSU
OL Brennen Carvalho, Portland State- they spelled his first name wrong like everyone else but i corrected it on here
OL Chad Rinehart, UNI
C George Yarno, Idaho State
WR Alex Watson, NAU
WR Jerome Simpson, Coastal Carolina
TE Brad Listorti, UMASS
K Rob Zarrilli, Hofstra
RS Steven Whitehead, McNeese State

DEFENSE
DL Brian Johnston, Gardner-Webb
DL John Faletoese, UC Davis
DL Bryan Smith, McNeese State
DL Kroy Biermann, Montana
LB Mike Gallihugh, Colgate
LB Donald Thomas, EIU
LB Colin Disch, Albany
DB Tony LeZotte, JMU
DB Corey Lynch, App State
DB Bobbie Williams, Bethune Cookman
DB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State
P Mike Dragosavich, NDSU

Thanks for correcting his namexbowx

SunCoastBlueHen
June 21st, 2007, 02:50 PM
No way Delaware should be ranked ahead of UMass, JMU and Towson, 17th, not 7th seems about right.

In a preseason poll with Delaware coming off of two very lackluster seasons I absolutely agree with you. The Hens will be better this year, but I don't see how they rate a #7 ranking.

Pard94
June 21st, 2007, 02:53 PM
Holy Cross #25? Wow. Don't necessarily agree with that but, hey, nice for the Crusaders to get some preseason respect.xthumbsupx

bandl
June 21st, 2007, 02:55 PM
WhoTF came up with this poll?? I'm surprised St. Peter's isn't in their top 10. xeyebrowx

Can we say No Knowledge Ass-Clowns?

lizrdgizrd
June 21st, 2007, 03:01 PM
WhoTF came up with this poll?? I'm surprised St. Peter's isn't in their top 10. xeyebrowx

Can we say No Knowledge Ass-Clowns?
Well, at least they got #1 right. xsmiley_wix

Model Citizen
June 21st, 2007, 03:19 PM
Holy Cross #25? Wow. Don't necessarily agree with that but, hey, nice for the Crusaders to get some preseason respect.xthumbsupx

This may be the same person doing the rankings as they've had the last couple of years. Two years ago, he had Drake and La Salle in the top 25.

It's great that he's inclined to include a n/s or two...even some pretend n/s programs like Holy Cross are ok. Just don't toss them in randomly. Gotta know who's got the goods an who doesn't.

FlyYtown
June 21st, 2007, 03:35 PM
YSU 10th behind Illinois St.
Now we were 2-0 against them last year, and beat them at their place handily when they were ranked #2 in the nation. I know we lost Mason and all, but I believe the man that one us each of those games, Tom Zetts, is still a penguin.

But I don't mind, it just goes to show how strong the Gateway is!

already123
June 21st, 2007, 04:12 PM
SHSU is ranked WAY to high...throw em down at least 5 spots and then we can talk....

TexasTerror
June 21st, 2007, 04:22 PM
SHSU is ranked WAY to high...throw em down at least 5 spots and then we can talk....

SHSU is up there due to our history of transfer QBs who have produced...

I think the defense is strong and we have a good OL and an All-American TE, but the rest of the offense (who else is Bomar going to throw to?) is questionable...

SHSU deserves preseason ranking IMO, but not sure that high is worth it...

already123
June 21st, 2007, 04:26 PM
where can i pick up this mag?!

already123
June 21st, 2007, 04:28 PM
Yes, I find them worthy of a top 25....just not a top 15!

anywhere south of 18 is pushing it

Henwatcher
June 21st, 2007, 04:31 PM
Wow!!! UD at 7. Sounds good, but someone must be kidding us. UMass, Towson and JMU all deserve to be ranked ahead of UD. Just my humble opinion. Until the UD defense shows it can stop someone, they shouldn't be anywhere near the top 15.

birdsflyhigh
June 21st, 2007, 04:41 PM
Flytown, glad you're happy about YSU's 2 victories over the Birds last year, but that was LAST YEAR. YSU's lost some key players, and the Birds are absolutely stacked this year, so maybe some pollsters just might know what they are talking about in regards to ISU being ranked over YSU.

UNI will be unbelievable TOUGH this year, but I'm not even sure that I'd rank them ahead of the Birds. IMHO ISU is going to do quite well in the Gateway this season. xnodx

Do agree with many of the other posters that the Gateway is going to be tough as nails. Now that NDSU and SDSU are in the fold, there are four conference teams ranked in the top 10, and (altogether) six Gateway teams ranked in the top 25. Also think WIU will be improved this season, so it's going to be INSANE when the conference season gets underway.

Really looking forward to some college football very soon!! How many more weeks is it?

xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

FlyYtown
June 21st, 2007, 05:27 PM
Hey BirdsFlyHigh; last year I had ILSU as #1 in my preseason polls and, although I was impressed with what I saw, I believe your team last year was better than your team this year.

I think Zetts and Drone are each very solid in the league; but Sanders is by far the best in the Gateway. You lost your best back in Rembert, we lost ours in Mason. On paper we are pretty darn equal; but we've had your number over the years and you are coming to YTOWN to play this year!

MDFAN
June 21st, 2007, 05:40 PM
Is there a reason JMU is so low?

birdsflyhigh
June 21st, 2007, 05:41 PM
Flytown, you might want to do a little research at redbirdfan.com to check out all the FBS transfers ISU has ready to step in and make the program even stronger.

I'm sure the Birds will be MORE than ready to take on the challenge at the Ice Palace. I'll be quite suprised if the Birds and Penguins are (as you say) "even" this season. I see YSU being good once again, but if there is a team that WON'T be as good as last season...it's the Penguins.

It'll be a heck of season in the Gateway, and it'll be interesting how things pan out between ISU and YSU. xsmileyclapx

89rabbit
June 21st, 2007, 05:48 PM
I wonder where a knowledgeable writer would have put San Diego. Ranking them ahead of Yale, SD State, and Holy Cross is a no-brainer. But what if Yale actually belongs about #40? xeyebrowx

Huh??? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

No way San Diego should be ahead of South Dakota State.

CopperCat
June 21st, 2007, 06:21 PM
This poll has fewer homers than normal, but still too many. UD too high, PSU way too high (finished behind a team that isn't ranked, i.e. MSU), and Holy Cross being ranked is more than just a bit odd. I think you could easily put a team like UCD or SHSU in at that spot.

AGS is still the best!xthumbsupx

Model Citizen
June 21st, 2007, 06:21 PM
Here's a tip. If you're going to play a D-III school, win the game.

PSUVikings
June 21st, 2007, 06:29 PM
This poll has fewer homers than normal, but still too many. UD too high, PSU way too high (finished behind a team that isn't ranked, i.e. MSU), and Holy Cross being ranked is more than just a bit odd. I think you could easily put a team like UCD or SHSU in at that spot.

AGS is still the best!xthumbsupx

If we put it all together this year we could finish 9th, this years team is far different then last years in so many ways, on and off the field. Just like your team, except your team is different in a negative wayxthumbsupx

Mountaineer#96
June 21st, 2007, 06:30 PM
Barnes & Noble will have it for sure. Walmart is a possiblity.

FlyYtown
June 21st, 2007, 06:51 PM
Flytown, you might want to do a little research at redbirdfan.com to check out all the FBS transfers ISU has ready to step in and make the program even stronger.

I'm sure the Birds will be MORE than ready to take on the challenge at the Ice Palace. I'll be quite suprised if the Birds and Penguins are (as you say) "even" this season. I see YSU being good once again, but if there is a team that WON'T be as good as last season...it's the Penguins.

It'll be a heck of season in the Gateway, and it'll be interesting how things pan out between ISU and YSU. xsmileyclapx
The last 2 losses for the Guins at Stambaugh over the last 3 years have been vs. those pesky UNI panthers.... shows how good or bad we've actually been there lol.

Hansel
June 21st, 2007, 07:12 PM
they won 7 of their last 8- only losing at NDSU and beating Poly, Davis, and McNeese

I would have had UCD instead though :)

YoUDeeMan
June 21st, 2007, 07:30 PM
Wow!!! UD at 7. Sounds good, but someone must be kidding us. UMass, Towson and JMU all deserve to be ranked ahead of UD. Just my humble opinion. Until the UD defense shows it can stop someone, they shouldn't be anywhere near the top 15.

Fear the Bird! xnodx

89rabbit
June 21st, 2007, 07:31 PM

Ok first we are talking about this year's teams, but if you want to go there fine.

Here's a tip. If you are only going to play one FCS school that offers scholarships you need to beat them if you want anyone to take you serious. If I recall corectly UC Davis beat San Diego by 10 . . . and oh yea SDSU beat Davis. xnodx :D xlolx

You also might want to beat a team that went to the playoffs . . . yea SDSU did that too.

danefan
June 21st, 2007, 07:32 PM
Good to see a Dane on the AA team. Disch is a very very good player and anyone who has seen him play will attest to that. Should be the next Albany NFLer.

Mountain Panther
June 21st, 2007, 07:40 PM
Ok first we are talking about this year's teams, but if you want to go there fine.

Here's a tip. If you are only going to play only one FCS school that offers scholarships you need to beat them if you want anyone to take you serious. If I recall corectly UC Davis beat San Diego by 10 . . . and oh yea SDSU beat Davis. xnodx :D xlolx

You also might want to beat a team that went to the playoffs . . . yea SDSU did that too.

89, those home jerseys in your signature are awesome - solid yellow pants and yellow numbers on blue is a classy look. xthumbsupx

Bulldog87
June 21st, 2007, 07:46 PM
SCSU will be the best 7-4 team in FCS football this season. We should be ranked right behind Hampton and it should be a great tilt when we play them up there this season for their HC.

89rabbit
June 21st, 2007, 08:04 PM
89, those home jerseys in your signature are awesome - solid yellow pants and yellow numbers on blue is a classy look. xthumbsupx

Thank you.

Sometimes at home we will wear Blue with Yellow

http://images.pictopia.com.edgesuite.net/perl/get_image?provider_id=537&ptp_photo_id=1329898&size=320x320_mb

other times we go Blue with Blue

http://images.pictopia.com.edgesuite.net/perl/get_image?provider_id=537&ptp_photo_id=1360243&size=320x320_mb

the road look is always the same White with Blue

http://images.pictopia.com.edgesuite.net/perl/get_image?provider_id=537&ptp_photo_id=1318752&size=320x320_mb

However, we signed a deal with Nike in the off season so we will have new uniforms this season.

CopperCat
June 21st, 2007, 09:08 PM
If we put it all together this year we could finish 9th, this years team is far different then last years in so many ways, on and off the field. Just like your team, except your team is different in a negative wayxthumbsupx

I'd really disagree that we're different in a so-called "negative way," but that's not what I was talking about in the first place.

PSU played some tough teams last year, but the fact of the matter is that you finished third in conference, and you didn't make the playoffs. Getting a ranking of 9th is not real realistic in my mind.

ngineer
June 21st, 2007, 10:01 PM

I think they're getting a lot of mileage out of Randolph's rising star--but to me, they are too one dimensional and too many question marks on defense.

AppMan
June 21st, 2007, 10:08 PM
somebody please explain to me how Holy Cross is even ranked?

Just like the rest of the FCS poll and weekly rankings, they have to make it politically correct to please everyone.

Model Citizen
June 21st, 2007, 10:12 PM
If you are only going to play one FCS school that offers scholarships you need to beat them if you want anyone to take you serious.

You get beat by the second place team in the Wisconsin Conference, and you still think the world revolves around football scholarships?

BigApp
June 21st, 2007, 10:20 PM
best bet is to check your local grocery or drug store.

igo4uni
June 21st, 2007, 10:22 PM
The last 2 losses for the Guins at Stambaugh over the last 3 years have been vs. those pesky UNI panthers.... shows how good or bad we've actually been there lol.

We are looking forward to your visit to the fabulous UNI-Dome this year.:p :p :p

ucdtim17
June 21st, 2007, 11:41 PM
I think SDSU acquitted themselves OK last year. Saying USD should be ranked ahead of them is ridiculous

89rabbit
June 22nd, 2007, 12:13 AM
You get beat by the second place team in the Wisconsin Conference, and you still think the world revolves around football scholarships?

Remind me again how many FCS Top 25 teams did USD beat last year xwhistlex

Oh yea the answer is none (4 less then SDSU). Get back to us when they do. Could be awhile looking at your schedule. xcoffeex

09/01/07 at Azusa Pacific Azusa, CA 7:00 p.m. PT
09/08/07 vs. Marist San Diego, CA 6:00 p.m. PT
09/15/07 vs. Northern Colorado San Diego, CA 6:00 p.m. PT
09/29/07 at Butler Indianapolis, IN 10:00 a.m. PT
10/06/07 at Valparaiso Valparaiso, IN 10:00 a.m. PT
10/13/07 vs. Drake University San Diego, CA 6:00 p.m. PT
10/20/07 vs. Jacksonville San Diego, CA 6:00 p.m. PT
10/27/07 at Dayton Dayton, OH 10:00 a.m. PT
11/03/07 vs. Davidson San Diego, CA 2:00 p.m. PT
11/10/07 at Morehead State Morehead, KY 10:00 a.m. PT
11/17/07 at UC Davis Davis, CA 1:05 p.m. PT

Can't beat any top 25 teams if you don't play any. UC Davis looks like the only team that you could play that might be in the top 25.

So far three pre-season polls have been released AGS, Lindy's, and Street and Smith. SDSU is ranked in the top 25 of all three (22nd, 10th, and 24th respectively) while USD is ranked in none of the polls.

Best of luck to you. I think you might have a chance to beat a FCS scholarship football team this year with Northern Colorado coming to town, but I still think the Bears will pull out the victory.

97Torero
June 22nd, 2007, 01:09 AM
Now now, settle down there 89. Its not like a bunch of USD guys are out here attacking you. I just think there a those of us who would like a little respect for a good season that included an easy win over a yale team that got some preseason pub. USD has never lost to holy cross and has yet to play SDSU (the south dakota version or the cross town school). THe toreros return a solid core of the team and will hopefully be able to break in the new coaching stuff without much trouble. If as the season goes on and they continue their winning ways then I believe they will be back in the top 25. As your teams past shows, anything can and will happen, i.e. wins over top teams and losses to those who you should not have lost to. Its the nature of the game.

89rabbit
June 22nd, 2007, 01:19 AM
Now now, settle down there 89. Its not like a bunch of USD guys are out here attacking you. I just think there a those of us who would like a little respect for a good season that included an easy win over a yale team that got some preseason pub. USD has never lost to holy cross and has yet to play SDSU (the south dakota version or the cross town school). THe toreros return a solid core of the team and will hopefully be able to break in the new coaching stuff without much trouble. If as the season goes on and they continue their winning ways then I believe they will be back in the top 25. As your teams past shows, anything can and will happen, i.e. wins over top teams and losses to those who you should not have lost to. Its the nature of the game.

I take exception to the quote below.

I wonder where a knowledgeable writer would have put San Diego. Ranking them ahead of Yale, SD State, and Holy Cross is a no-brainer.

It is very hard to argue that USD should be ranked ahead of SDSU (I know I would hate to have to make that case) and to declare that it is a "no-brainer" is preposterous. xoopsx xnonox xmadx

My Wife is from San Diego. I have been on your campus and I like your program, but come on. Like I said best of luck to you. It is good to see you stepping up and taking on a second Scholarship program (even if it is UNC). ;) xlolx

SoCon48
June 22nd, 2007, 06:40 AM
UD 7th?? I was just at the bookstore yesterday looking for it, I'll have to go back.

Thank God it's out, they do the best job of FCS coverage of all the summer previews.

And it's a classic for sure. I've been buying one for years. I used to drive all over Eastern PA trying to find the first one on the shelves every June.

SoCon48
June 22nd, 2007, 07:20 AM
or order it direct

http://www.streetandsmiths.com/

Tribe4SF
June 22nd, 2007, 07:23 AM
Is there any place that actually ranks all 122 teams from top to bottom. I dont mean the GPI, I mean an actual real ranking system?

If the GPI is not "an actual real ranking system", then what would one look like? Using the three polls, and the best of the computer systems to yield a composite ranking sounds like "an actual real ranking system" to me.

Most of the computer systems rank all 122 teams. Sagarin does it using a couple of different methodologies.

Yosef84
June 22nd, 2007, 07:23 AM
YSU 10th behind Illinois St.
Now we were 2-0 against them last year, and beat them at their place handily when they were ranked #2 in the nation. I know we lost Mason and all, but I believe the man that one us each of those games, Tom Zetts, is still a penguin.

But I don't mind, it just goes to show how strong the Gateway is!

I have to agree. I think the Gateway will (once again) be a very strong/deep conference, but I expect the fight to be between UNI and YSU. I've read a lot about Montana with their 19 (or so) returning starters, but if one of these teams managed to run the board in the Gateway, they would make me a more nervous than the Griz. Just my opinion.

Go Apps!
Greg

bluehenbillk
June 22nd, 2007, 08:42 AM
If the GPI is not "an actual real ranking system", then what would one look like? Using the three polls, and the best of the computer systems to yield a composite ranking sounds like "an actual real ranking system" to me.

Most of the computer systems rank all 122 teams. Sagarin does it using a couple of different methodologies.

Nah, we all know the fallacies & flaws of tha system, they've been well-documented on here for years. We can bash the 3-letter evil in October, for now let's focus ont he pre-season prognostication.

Lafalumni29
June 22nd, 2007, 09:29 AM
I think they're getting a lot of mileage out of Randolph's rising star--but to me, they are too one dimensional and too many question marks on defense.
Exactly!! Last year they were a surprise. They're not sneaking up on anyone this year. The ranking also means they are picked to win the PL!! That's a stretch. You need to be able to run the ball to win the PL.

BDKJMU
June 22nd, 2007, 01:07 PM
1. App State
2. Montana
3. UNH
4. NDSU
5. UNI
6. McNeese State
7. Delaware
8. Illinois State
9. Portland State
10. Youngstown State
11. Furman
12. UMASS
13. SHSU
14. EIU
15. Wofford
16. Cal Poly
17. Towson
18. UT Martin
19. JMU
20. SIU
21. Coastal Carolina
22. Hampton
23. Yale
24. SDSU
25. Holy Cross

With CAA teams (old A-10) taking the 3rd (UNH), 7th (UD), 12th (UMass), 17th (Towson), 19th (JMU) spots, thats totally f'ed up. Whoever put this poll together is a clueless idiot in regards to IAA. Much more reasonable with those 5 spots would have been UMass 3rd, UNH 5th, JMU 12th, UD 17th and Towson 19th.

andy7171
June 22nd, 2007, 01:33 PM
With CAA teams (old A-10) taking the 3rd (UNH), 7th (UD), 12th (UMass), 17th (Towson), 19th (JMU) spots, thats totally f'ed up. Whoever put this poll together is a clueless idiot in regards to IAA. Much more reasonable with those 5 spots would have been UMass 3rd, UNH 5th, JMU 12th, UD 17th and Towson 19th.
I completely agree. xnodx

89Hen
June 22nd, 2007, 01:49 PM
Whoever put this poll together is a clueless idiot in regards to IAA. Much more reasonable with those 5 spots would have been UMass 3rd, UNH 5th, JMU 12th, UD 17th and Towson 19th.
I don't know about clueless idiot, at least they have the correct five teams. I've seen some people mention Villanova and Richmond xeyebrowx . BTW I like your five but I'd flip TU and JMU. xtwocentsx

Go...gate
June 22nd, 2007, 02:03 PM

End of a long rebuilding process. They definitely have a good chance to win the Patriot League.

HensRock
June 22nd, 2007, 04:00 PM

Why don't we wait until the end of the season before finding out who's clueless?

Col Hogan
June 22nd, 2007, 04:17 PM
Why don't we wait until the end of the season before finding out who's clueless?

Agreed...I had UMass 12th in my preseason...I've said this before, so sorry for the repeat...we lost some horses...we have good replacements, but they haven't proven themselves on the field...12 is good...

Now, some of the other CAA placements.................

ShowMeBear2
June 22nd, 2007, 04:21 PM
http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics3/400/TE/TESEXPWMRCSCHJQ.20061206214955.jpg

Franks Tanks
June 22nd, 2007, 04:56 PM

I agree that they are probably not the 25th best team in the country. They are however picked to win the Patriot league by this publication, and lately Lafayette Lehigh and Colagte and even Fordham have gained the league enough respect that I belive they feel they should rank at least one team. The Patriot League looks to be in another down year, as in the past we had top 10 teams, but i thinks that the reason

Bobcat in NC
June 22nd, 2007, 05:30 PM
I'd really disagree that we're different in a so-called "negative way," but that's not what I was talking about in the first place.

PSU played some tough teams last year, but the fact of the matter is that you finished third in conference, and you didn't make the playoffs. Getting a ranking of 9th is not real realistic in my mind.

I agree with you 100% (at least with the MSU part). I really take issue with the "negative way" comment. The vast majority of the off-field (with the exception of Fuller) issues have absolutely nothing to do with last year's Cats, let alone the 2007 version.

MSU is returning 15 (+/-) starters, has a favorable home/away schedule and (IMHO) has improved the coaching staff by leaps and bounds (not speaking directly about Coach Kramer/Coach Ash, but about the staff as a whole).

Have there been significant off the field problems? Yes. Are they being dealt with? All indications are that they are.

I do think PSU at 9 may be a little high, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them there at year-end. They're definitely going to be dangerous. Having MSU not even get a look at the top 25 is pretty ridiculous. Replacing a solid coach with a solid coach and adding an OC who beat USC last year? A 15+ spot drop just doesn't make sense. Of course, I may be dead wrong as I know what's going to happen this year as much as (probably less than) the rest...

Andy
June 22nd, 2007, 06:11 PM
I agree that they are probably not the 25th best team in the country. They are however picked to win the Patriot league by this publication, and lately Lafayette Lehigh and Colagte and even Fordham have gained the league enough respect that I belive they feel they should rank at least one team. The Patriot League looks to be in another down year, as in the past we had top 10 teams, but i thinks that the reason

S & S's Patriot League coverage is provided by Ed Laubach of Easton's "Express-Times". He echoes his thoughts from this article:

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/expresstimes/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/1180238982167650.xml&coll=2

Ed's familiarity with Lafayette's play may be behind his pick of LC's jr LB Andy Romans as the league's defensive POY--a pick I like, but which may cause some hearburn in Hamilton.

His pick for league newcomer is Bucknell's transfer from Sacramento City College, LB Margues Morgan.

CrunchGriz
June 22nd, 2007, 06:30 PM
I agree with you 100% (at least with the MSU part). I really take issue with the "negative way" comment. The vast majority of the off-field (with the exception of Fuller) issues have absolutely nothing to do with last year's Cats, let alone the 2007 version.

MSU is returning 15 (+/-) starters, has a favorable home/away schedule and (IMHO) has improved the coaching staff by leaps and bounds (not speaking directly about Coach Kramer/Coach Ash, but about the staff as a whole).

Have there been significant off the field problems? Yes. Are they being dealt with? All indications are that they are.

I do think PSU at 9 may be a little high, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them there at year-end. They're definitely going to be dangerous. Having MSU not even get a look at the top 25 is pretty ridiculous. Replacing a solid coach with a solid coach and adding an OC who beat USC last year? A 15+ spot drop just doesn't make sense. Of course, I may be dead wrong as I know what's going to happen this year as much as (probably less than) the rest...

While I agree that it looks like MSU got a good coach to replace Kramer, the one thing I've seen no Bobcat fan mention is that your new coach(es) have very little time to implement their systems for the 2007 season. While the 'Cats definitely have some talent, all new systems take time to learn. And though, admittedly, he was starting from scratch talent-wise, your last (pretty darn good) coach started 0-fer in his first season while trying to implement his stuff at MSU.

I think this makes MSU's position much shakier this coming season than it was when Kramer was still around. Ash may have even better coaching skills, assistants, and systems, but the lack of time is gonna hurt the 'Cats this year. If I were a 'Cat fan I'd be most angry at Fields for waiting so long on Kramer's firing.

...in 2008 and beyond, we'll see. That could be the year the Griz are way down and the 'Cats way up, with as many seniors as the Griz have this year.

bluehenbillk
June 22nd, 2007, 08:30 PM

As a fan of a Virginia school, you can't complain about homerism, John O'Connor the beat writer from the Richmond-TD did the CAA order of finish.

JALMOND
June 22nd, 2007, 09:24 PM

Actually, tied for second last year, but the poll is talking about this year. Ninth may be a little high for us and I would have liked to see a third Big Sky team make it in the top 25, but truthfully, when looking at both programs (returnees, new coaches, new staff) the bottom line is that PSU had their staff intact for spring. The Cats brought their new staff after spring practice. Maybe it won't matter (that is for the season to decide) but right now, an unbiased opinion would have to put PSU ahead of MSU, due mainly to the uncertainties in the Cat program right now. The season could show otherwise, but for now PSU is (and should be) the better team.

If you want to talk about the farce of last year's playoff selection, PM me. I won't take up space on this thread.

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2007, 09:24 AM
1. App State
2. Montana
3. UNH
4. NDSU
5. UNI

I'll take another top 5. Hopefully we play at that level.

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2007, 09:25 AM
xeyebrowx

Still, overall, not bad.

At least San Diego isn't in there. :D

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2007, 09:27 AM
Flytown, glad you're happy about YSU's 2 victories over the Birds last year, but that was LAST YEAR. YSU's lost some key players, and the Birds are absolutely stacked this year, so maybe some pollsters just might know what they are talking about in regards to ISU being ranked over YSU.

UNI will be unbelievable TOUGH this year, but I'm not even sure that I'd rank them ahead of the Birds. IMHO ISU is going to do quite well in the Gateway this season. xnodx

Do agree with many of the other posters that the Gateway is going to be tough as nails. Now that NDSU and SDSU are in the fold, there are four conference teams ranked in the top 10, and (altogether) six Gateway teams ranked in the top 25. Also think WIU will be improved this season, so it's going to be INSANE when the conference season gets underway.

Really looking forward to some college football very soon!! How many more weeks is it?

xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

NDSU and SDSU aren't quite in the fold yet, but otherwise it's a great breakdown.

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2007, 09:28 AM

FBS transfers do not equal success. They can underperform and kill team chemistry.

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2007, 09:32 AM

xbowx xbowx xbowx xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2007, 09:33 AM
Thank you.

other times we go Blue with Blue

http://images.pictopia.com.edgesuite.net/perl/get_image?provider_id=537&ptp_photo_id=1360243&size=320x320_mb

However, we signed a deal with Nike in the off season so we will have new uniforms this season.

I like the blue on blue. Hope to see it in Brookings this fall.

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2007, 09:34 AM

Early season losses to lower teams happen.

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2007, 09:35 AM
We are looking forward to your visit to the fabulous UNI-Dome this year.:p :p :p

we always enjoy them. except for that one time in 1992. xbawlingx

89rabbit
June 23rd, 2007, 10:50 AM
I like the blue on blue. Hope to see it in Brookings this fall.

Let me know if you are coming to Brookings, I will have a cool one waiting for you in the "Backyard". xprost2x

jmuroller
June 23rd, 2007, 11:10 AM
As a fan of a Virginia school, you can't complain about homerism, John O'Connor the beat writer from the Richmond-TD did the CAA order of finish.

That explains the JMU part of it. O'Connor has always had it out for JMU, which is expected since he is a UR alum. He has always pointed out the negatives of the Dukes and is very slow to praise.

One thing about the CAA is that almost every year the predicted order of finish is no where close to what it ends up as. Last year was probably the first in a long time where the preseason favorites held up in the end. I feel pretty confident that JMU is no where the 19th ranked team in the Nation. Around #10 is where I would put the Dukes. Big games that will make or break our season are UNH and UD. I think we need to win at least 1 of those to make the playoffs this year. Win both and we could be looking at a seed.

g-webb1994
June 23rd, 2007, 11:20 AM
I'm glad Johnston is getting some good pub.....maybe he can get a looksie from the NFL.;)

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2007, 12:56 PM
Let me know if you are coming to Brookings, I will have a cool one waiting for you in the "Backyard". xprost2x

I would list the odds at 99.9% right now. I will make all parties aware of my intentions. I'm excited to see you guys(as well as the Bison) every year in the future. I even added the Jakcrabbits in NCAA 2007. xbowx

grayghost06
June 23rd, 2007, 02:32 PM
...Since O'Connor did the voting, I'm surprised he didn't include UVA or VT in the polls. The Richmond Times Disgrace is in bed w/ those two programs. Hell, the Univ of Richmond could beat an ACC school and the Hoos and Tech would still get top billing for beating a nobody.

GannonFan
June 25th, 2007, 09:58 AM

The thing is, they have UNH winning the North and UD winning the South (with Towson 2nd and JMU 3rd) - if you think it will finish that way then you rank them the way they did. Doesn't make them right, but if that's what they think will transpire then the rankings make sense - the winners in the North and the South would most likely be top 10 caliber teams.

bison137
June 25th, 2007, 10:26 AM
His pick for league newcomer is Bucknell's transfer from Sacramento City College, LB Margues Morgan.

Was his pick of Morgan for ROY in the S&S preview or in an article?

Morgan seems to have extremely good physical tools but I have no idea what kind of football player he is. He may have fallen beneath the radar a bit due to his height - 5'11"-6'0" (depending on the source), 235 lbs - but Bucknell has had pretty good success in recent years with short linebackers.

In any event, linebacker should definitely be the strength of this year's team - probably one reason they switched to a 3-4.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 25th, 2007, 10:45 AM

Morgan seems to have extremely good physical tools but I have no idea what kind of football player he is. He may have fallen beneath the radar a bit due to his height - 5'11"-6'0" (depending on the source), 235 lbs - but Bucknell has had pretty good success in recent years with short linebackers.

In any event, linebacker should definitely be the strength of this year's team - probably one reason they switched to a 3-4.

If he's the real deal, with him, LB Ryan Slater, and LB Sam Nana-Sinkam should be a pretty damned good trio at LB.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
June 25th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Is there a reason JMU is so low?

Simple:

Without any transfers, how can JMU compete with UMass and Delaware!? xrolleyesx :D

andy7171
June 25th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Simple:

Without any transfers, how can JMU compete with UMass and Delaware!? xrolleyesx :D

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

bison137
June 25th, 2007, 12:11 PM
If he's the real deal, with him, LB Ryan Slater, and LB Sam Nana-Sinkam should be a pretty damned good trio at LB.

Yes. Also throw in returning starter Todd Rinaldo, plus rising junior Sam Williams, a 6'4" 243 lb LB/DE, who played really well in the spring after not playing in the fall. (He was good as a freshman as well.) Also Julius Hopson saw a lot of time at OLB last year as well, and Jason Kolodziej looked good for a freshman last year at ILB. If this were the pros, we'd be looking to trade a linebacker for a lineman.

GannonFan
June 25th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Simple:

Yup, JMU is devoid of transfers!! Always has been, always will be!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

R.A.
June 25th, 2007, 03:04 PM
SCSU will be the best 7-4 team in FCS football this season. We should be ranked right behind Hampton and it should be a great tilt when we play them up there this season for their HC.

You play 2 DI-A schools. Going 9-2-- with two DIA losses or 8-3-- with an additional loss to one of the MEAC's top teams, will probably get SCSU a playoff bid, but two MEAC losses won't get you there.

So you don't think SCSU will make the playoffs?

Andy
June 25th, 2007, 03:41 PM

His pick of Morgan for ROY was part of the S & S piece.

BU bio mentions Morgan's selection as two year captain as well as two year All-Conference at Sacramento City. Seems like a great job by Landis to find and land this player.

While Laubach picks Lafayette for third place in the PL, he curiously cites HC-LC as the "game to watch". If they settle on their new QB early, get him some game experience, LC could be a formidable team toward the latter part of the schedule.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
June 25th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Yup, JMU is devoid of transfers!! Always has been, always will be!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I knew this was coming... it just happens JMU didn't gain anyone through transfers THIS particular year. Anyway, the point of it was more a jab at the writer's inherent opinion that a school must have transfers from big name programs to = high ranks in a preseason poll. I just did it at the expense of my fellow CAA brethren xsmiley_wix .

Cobblestone
August 2nd, 2007, 08:11 PM
So.... I stay home today and work on the lawn. After I finished & took a shower, I headed to my local Barnes & Noble. I couldn't get over my eyes when I saw stacks of college football magazines; never realized there were so many different publications.

I paged through each different one looking for SOME FCS coverage; nothing xnonono2x. Finally I opened Street & Smith's and saw what I thought was some pretty decent coverage. They also gave some to D-II and D-III. It came as no surprise to see App. State as #1 on the top 25 list. I was happy to see both UNH & UMASS in the top 25. Of course I wasn't happy to see us finishing last in our division of the CAA but I can't say I am surprised. I hope we can shock some people, hey nowhere to go but up. Truthfully, I think this is the last year for Stowers. Bjorn is a football guy and I think he wants to fix our broken program.

Question for any CCU fans (or opponents fans), what do you think of this guy Jerome Simpson? He's picked as a first team FCS (although S&S still calls us I-AA) and looking at his numbers he sounds like one of the best players in all of FCS. Have any of you who've seen him play think he's NFL material? He looks like it on paper. I'm too tired right now to do a Google search plus I'd like to hear from someone who has seen him. I know we've got a few CCU fans on this board.

Anyway, good to see S&S give us some publicity.

rokamortis
August 2nd, 2007, 08:42 PM
Question for any CCU fans (or opponents fans), what do you think of this guy Jerome Simpson? He's picked as a first team FCS (although S&S still calls us I-AA) and looking at his numbers he sounds like one of the best players in all of FCS. Have any of you who've seen him play think he's NFL material? He looks like it on paper. I'm too tired right now to do a Google search plus I'd like to hear from someone who has seen him. I know we've got a few CCU fans on this board.

Jerome is pretty amazing ... I think he is legitimate NFL material but only time will tell. Hopefully we'll have a good QB that can get him the ball this year.

This is the JMU one handed catch that made ESPN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B85po3KBdY

You can also see some of his other catches in the 2005 and 2006 hilight films:
2006 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgt7d9cDGRk
2005 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trt0RzjHLpg