PDA

View Full Version : UM CB Arrested for Murder

catbob
June 13th, 2007, 11:14 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2903724

What a sad story. Kid ruins his life and ends another. He was a talented player receiving a free education.

I think I speak for all Montanans when I say "When is this going to end?"

ucdtim17
June 13th, 2007, 11:22 PM
projected starter?

Ronbo
June 13th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Another California player raised in that violent atmosphere. Sounds like it was over a woman. Happened in L.A.

catbob
June 13th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Yes, he was a starter, a pretty derned good one too.

My condolences to everyone involved, two lives ruined, many more shattered.

Ronbo
June 13th, 2007, 11:35 PM
If he's guilty he deserves whatever he gets and that includes death.

We have Qwenton Freeman from U. of Arizona that platooned with Wilson all last season. Cat fans will remember Qwenton as the famous face mask guy.

Grizalltheway
June 13th, 2007, 11:52 PM
What a terrible story. xnonono2x MSU fans, even though some Griz fans (not necessarily on this site) may have been less than gracious during your schools' troubles, I trust that all of you on here will take the high road with this situation, and it is greatly appreciated.

catbob
June 13th, 2007, 11:58 PM
I have a feeling this may be a self-defense case. Wilson turned himself in.

But I hope Cat fans do indeed take the high road - we more than anyone know how hard it is to hear about these things, and you certainly don't need anyone piling on.

But there are a select few Griz fans I do hope hold their tongues now.

WyomingGrizFan
June 14th, 2007, 12:05 AM
projected starter?

Yeah, I think he was a two year starter @ CB. A hard hitter and possibly a free agent into the NFL after his senior year with his size and playing ability.

DuckDuckGriz
June 14th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Damn Jimmy Wilson was one of my favorite Griz players. A really hard hitter.

I really hope this was self-defense. If not I hope they throw the book at him. Sad story.

ucdtim17
June 14th, 2007, 12:47 AM
We California kids are trouble

laxVik
June 14th, 2007, 12:51 AM
All 35 million of us.

Tod
June 14th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Awww...Geez! xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

What a waste!

Screw football, what a waste!! :( :( :( :( :(

youwouldno
June 14th, 2007, 01:26 AM
The victim was shot and killed in his own driveway. Wilson's chances of successfully asserting self-defense are essentially zero, regardless of the precise details of the encounter. He won't get the death penalty in California.

Despite all the "high road" talk, the fact is that this is a huge black mark on UM's program. I don't think anyone takes satisfaction from that, MSU fans, FCS fans, football fans, or anyone else.

The larger question is why such a culture of death permeates elements of American society. Poverty is not the issue. Wilson was set to have a college degree from a fine university and a chance at pro football, if not the NFL then possibly a smaller league. Pro athletes commit crimes all the time, and many of them are already rich. It's a cultural issue with a relatively small portion of society- mostly males, mostly young, mostly minorities. It's certainly not something football is going to affect one way or the other.

Peems
June 14th, 2007, 01:30 AM
even if he were completely innocent, i doubt he would be back at UM, look what hauck did with Jason Washington. But first and foremost my condolences to the Smoot family.

already123
June 14th, 2007, 01:47 AM
wow....what a tragedy

I hate it how one person can ruin things for everyone

mtgrizfan4life
June 14th, 2007, 01:55 AM
WOW, I too am near speechless. First of all my thoughts and prayers go out to the victim, each family, and Jimmy Wilson. I hope brothers, sisters, and friends of the victim will step any way possible to help raise these kids. I speak of 1st hand experience, having dealt with my 2 nephews and 1 neice having lost their father. At the time the kids were 7, 5, and 3. When their father passed away our family was in a state of confusion, with many questions how to move forward with these 3 kids. It was not easy, and the kids miss their father dearly to this day. I hope rest of the family(s) involved step to the plate for the sake of these kids, and be willing to help guide these kids through their adult lifes.

As for Jimmy, I pray when all plays out this was in self defense or trying to remedy a bad situation for the family he cares and loves. I do not condone murder to anyone, but I do hope it plays out that Jimmy was protecting someone from someone or something and it turned out bad.

As for the GRIZ, I hope each and every player will learn the importance of the company you keep and the places you are. Just do not put yourself in those situations that could turn out bad. IO hope this unites the team.

As for GRIZNATION, I hope we can be humbled by this. I am glad I did not go bashing the CATS or their fans during their turmoil. For those that did bash them or show disrespect to them, I have no empathy for you and hope you too have learned a lesson. I have not, do not, and will not wish anything like this on any player, programs or fan base. My heart is out to every one in situations like this, even those of my biggest rival (CATS).

Mr. C
June 14th, 2007, 06:58 AM
projected starter?

He was all set to be a preseason All-American at CB. Sad story yet again.

DuckDuckGriz
June 14th, 2007, 08:49 AM
The victim was shot and killed in his own driveway. Wilson's chances of successfully asserting self-defense are essentially zero, regardless of the precise details of the encounter. He won't get the death penalty in California.

Despite all the "high road" talk, the fact is that this is a huge black mark on UM's program. I don't think anyone takes satisfaction from that, MSU fans, FCS fans, football fans, or anyone else.

The larger question is why such a culture of death permeates elements of American society. Poverty is not the issue. Wilson was set to have a college degree from a fine university and a chance at pro football, if not the NFL then possibly a smaller league. Pro athletes commit crimes all the time, and many of them are already rich. It's a cultural issue with a relatively small portion of society- mostly males, mostly young, mostly minorities. It's certainly not something football is going to affect one way or the other.

How is this a black mark on UM? Wilson did not have the personality nor the track record to make this any more shocking than it is. It could have happened with anyone.

PSUVikings
June 14th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Very sad.

Ronbo
June 14th, 2007, 09:10 AM
How is this a black mark on UM? Wilson did not have the personality nor the track record to make this any more shocking than it is. It could have happened with anyone.

Exactly this was very unexpected from Jimmy. He came from a good HS in a small San Diego suburb. He had good grades and had never been in any trouble. At Montana he had good grades and had never been in any trouble. He was considered a hard hitter on the field but they were clean hits, he was never considered a thug in any way. Wonder what would drive him to do something like this?

SeattleGriz
June 14th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Exactly this was very unexpected from Jimmy. He came from a good HS in a small San Diego suburb. He had good grades and had never been in any trouble. At Montana he had good grades and had never been in any trouble. He was considered a hard hitter on the field but they were clean hits, he was never considered a thug in any way. Wonder what would drive him to do something like this?

Not that I can speak for Jimmy, but mess with my family and I don't know what I would be capable of either. Of course I am just speculating here, and in no way condone what happened.

youwouldno
June 14th, 2007, 03:05 PM

Because he played for the Griz. It's that simple. The world doesn't work like we might want it to... guilt by association sometimes makes sense, sometimes it doesn't. In this case, I can't say personally. But the perception will clearly not be positive for UM.

Green Cookie Monster
June 14th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Hauck should be fired! xnodx

SU Jag
June 14th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Please keep both families in your payers! This is a sad situation that happens too often in our society.

travelinman67
June 14th, 2007, 06:18 PM

This just underlines the tragic nature of this incident. Were he from a troubled past, displayed problems, been violent, had no future, it would still be a tragedy, but with his background it just seems illogical and senseless.
I hope the Griz supporters don't cut him loose before the facts are in.

Tribe4SF
June 14th, 2007, 07:45 PM
The circumstances don't look good here. He shot someone on their property, and took several days to talk to the police. It would appear that the only person in jeopardy at the time of the shooting was the victim. The $1 million bond would indicate he is in deep on this. Premeditation can almost be assumed when you go to someone else's house with a gun and shoot them.

Seawolf97
June 14th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Another sad case and more lives ruined. Unfortunately I think there will be more .

Grizalltheway
June 14th, 2007, 08:02 PM
The circumstances don't look good here. He shot someone on their property, and took several days to talk to the police. It would appear that the only person in jeopardy at the time of the shooting was the victim. The $1 million bond would indicate he is in deep on this. Premeditation can almost be assumed when you go to someone else's house with a gun and shoot them.

Exactly what I was thinking. If it were self defense, it wouldn't have made sense to wait almost two weeks to turn himself in. More likely that his conscience got to him after a while.

GRZZ
June 15th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Because he played for the Griz. It's that simple. The world doesn't work like we might want it to... guilt by association sometimes makes sense, sometimes it doesn't. In this case, I can't say personally. But the perception will clearly not be positive for UM.

It's not good for the program, but I don't think it will have all that much of a terrible effect on the program either. It was an individual player thousands of miles away from the UM campus. It would be much worse perception wise if it had happened in Montana and/or could be tied into more players as witnesses or whatever else. That sort of scenario would make recruits, or more likely their parents, wonder about the atmosphere, so on and so forth. However, I am not in denial, this is bad all around for everyone involved. I hope he didn't do it, it doesn't sound good though and if he is found guilty he deserves whatever punishment the state of California gives him.

PhantomCAT
June 15th, 2007, 12:52 AM
I just came over here from the griz web site. there are several brand new posters over there, that are stating that one more than one occasion, mr Wilson has brandished a handgun in incidents in and around missoula bars. many of these posters are saying that his thug tendencies are well known among bar patrons. whether you are from CA or WI, you can be a bad egg.

I wish that all of you griz fans that have been riding the CATS like an rented mule, choke on your crow.

xnonox xnonox xnonox

AZGrizFan
June 15th, 2007, 12:57 AM
I just came over here from the griz web site. there are several brand new posters over there, that are stating that one more than one occasion, mr Wilson has brandished a handgun in incidents in and around missoula bars. many of these posters are saying that his thug tendencies are well known among bar patrons. whether you are from CA or WI, you can be a bad egg.

I wish that all of you griz fans that have been riding the CATS like an rented mule, choke on your crow.

xnonox xnonox xnonox

CAT---I see absolutely NO difference between this incident and what has transpired on the Cats team....any Griz fan who claims differently is delusional in my opinion....it can't be one way for Cat players, and a different standard for Griz players.

sounds like Jimmy might have done *****ed up his life while taking another. Too damned bad... xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

MarkCCU
June 15th, 2007, 11:00 AM
damn violence.

MarkCCU
June 15th, 2007, 11:02 AM

xnonox xnonox xnonox
You a.re outline on that Cat. Yes, bad kids come from everyone but your comment was classless. xnonox xnonox xnonox

AZGrizFan
June 15th, 2007, 11:04 AM
You a.re outline on that Cat. Yes, bad kids come from everyone but your comment was classless. xnonox xnonox xnonox

bad kids come from everyone....???? xeyebrowx xconfusedx

SoCon48
June 15th, 2007, 11:17 AM
None of us should get all holier than thou. What happened at UM could happen anywhere.
My Apps have been lucky lately, but still....

OB55
June 15th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Must be some way to blame part of this tragedy on Mike Kramer? xwhistlexxwhistlex

AZGrizFan
June 15th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Must be some way to blame part of this tragedy on Mike Kramer? xwhistlexxwhistlex

Wilson was probably fine until he hung around with the Bobcat troublemakers after the Griz/Cat game this year. xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx ;)

PantherRob82
June 15th, 2007, 02:27 PM
I can't believe he didn't at least wait until he got out of college to kill someone. Especially with UM picked as a favorite for the championship this year. Obviously he wasn't thinking very clearly, but if you're going to be in jail forever, might as well have a championship to think back on.

813Jag
June 15th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Regardless of him being a football player, this is a bad situation. I hate to see young men go to jail behind who knows what. My prayers are with his family and the family of the victims. Two lives gone. xnonono2x

AZGrizFan
June 15th, 2007, 03:24 PM
I can't believe he didn't at least wait until he got out of college to kill someone. Especially with UM picked as a favorite for the championship this year. Obviously he wasn't thinking very clearly, but if you're going to be in jail forever, might as well have a championship to think back on.

Yep, I'm pretty sure the status of UM's chances at an NC were foremost in his mind as he leveled the Gloc at the torso of Smoot. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

PantherRob82
June 15th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Yep, I'm pretty sure the status of UM's chances at an NC were foremost in his mind as he leveled the Gloc at the torso of Smoot. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

I'm just saying, use that rage for football season, then go kill the guy.

JALMOND
June 15th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Another California player raised in that violent atmosphere. Sounds like it was over a woman. Happened in L.A.

We recruited California extensively when Walsh was here. I cannot recall having any problems with any kids.

laxVik
June 15th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Yeah considering the population in California is roughly over 35 times that of Montana.

GRZZ
June 16th, 2007, 01:04 AM

xnonox xnonox xnonox

Several brand new posters? Are you new to the internet message board world? Brand new posters posting disparaging things are usually trolls. None of them have any proof much less specific incidents just empty implications.

BigApp
June 16th, 2007, 05:35 PM
tough news for GrizNation

YoUDeeMan
June 16th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Several brand new posters? Are you new to the internet message board world? Brand new posters posting disparaging things are usually trolls. None of them have any proof much less specific incidents just empty implications.

You might be right about the trolls, but it is hard to believe that a "good" person with no previous episodes of violence decides one day to go over to another person's house carrying a handgun (even if he didn't intend to shoot and kill someone).

Ask a law enforcement person...that doesn't add up. xtwocentsx

Keeler has had some guys do bad things - and so have a lot of schools. The best anyone can do is to find out all the facts and try to see if it can be avoided next time.

bisonguy
June 20th, 2007, 09:35 PM
You might be right about the trolls, but it is hard to believe that a "good" person with no previous episodes of violence decides one day to go over to another person's house carrying a handgun (even if he didn't intend to shoot and kill someone).

Ask a law enforcement person...that doesn't add up. xtwocentsx

Keeler has had some guys do bad things - and so have a lot of schools. The best anyone can do is to find out all the facts and try to see if it can be avoided next time.

Looks like Wilson was somewhat familiar with the Montana authorities- http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2007/06/20/news/top/news01.txt

The University of Montana football player accused of shooting and killing a man in Los Angeles County earlier this month was “well known” to local authorities, according to an official with the Missoula Police Department.

James “Jimmy” Leon Wilson, 20, had numerous run-ins with police in Missoula through the years, though none of the incidents resulted in criminal charges, said Missoula Police Sgt. Travis Welsh, who assisted California authorities with the recent homicide investigation.

“He's no stranger to us,” Welsh said.........