PDA

View Full Version : What if Montana?

nevadagriz
June 13th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Let's just say Montana somehow won the chipper this year. Would FCS fans give them their due or just complain about their schedule, conference, playoff home games, buyouts and the fact NDSU is not able to compete in the playoffs till 08'???????????????

In no way am i saying the Griz will win it all just wondering?

AZGrizFan
June 13th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Let's just say Montana somehow won the chipper this year. Would FCS fans give them their due or just complain about their schedule, conference, playoff home games, buyouts and the fact NDSU is not able to compete in the playoffs till 08'???????????????

The answers to your questions are

No
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

Mountaineer
June 13th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Just be thankful, that if you do win it all this year, that NDSU allowed you to do so..

Kind of like us last year.. xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
June 13th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Just be thankful, that if you do win it all this year, that NDSU allowed you to do so..

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

putter
June 13th, 2007, 04:20 PM

xlolx xlolx

Guess we should just leave for the FBS so you all would have to find some other program to bitch about.

RabidRabbit
June 13th, 2007, 04:22 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Begrudgingly, IF Griz win the CHIPPER, they'd be recognized. Have to, win it on the field. xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

However, IF NDSU has another 10-1 year, with only a FBS loss, (MN or Central MI) and no losses to FCS teams, then they may garnish some votes for #1.

7 home games, an unwillingness to play an OOC game away, and therefore, a corresponding weak schedule should make Montana a shoo-in to the play-offs. With the outstanding clout of 23K turn-out for the play-off games, the 90% win factor at Wash-Griz should get you back to Chattie town. If Griz don't make it, it will be a loss to a superior team winning on the road as occurred in 2005, and 2006. xoopsx

LarryBoy
June 13th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Where did this chip on the Griz nation's shoulder come from? I wasn't aware that FCS fans weren't giving Montana "their due."

I think someone isn't taking App's day in the sun so well...

nevadagriz
June 13th, 2007, 05:06 PM
You got it wrong Larry I respect the hell out of Appy. I only asked the question based on the things thrown around the board about Montana!
I was serious when I asked the question.

89Hen
June 13th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Would FCS fans give them their due
xconfusedx AFAIK the only genuine complaints about Montana were from a couple fans of teams that lost out on the back end of a home and home and I think that only happened twice. xeyebrowx

I've seen a lot of people predict they may win it this year, they are what, #2 in the pre-season poll, I've seen lots of people say they have one of the nicest stadiums in I-AA.... did you have something else in mind where they're not getting their due? xconfusedx

putter
June 13th, 2007, 05:17 PM
xconfusedx AFAIK the only genuine complaints about Montana were from a couple fans of teams that lost out on the back end of a home and home and I think that only happened twice. xeyebrowx

I've seen a lot of people predict they may win it this year, they are what, #2 in the pre-season poll, I've seen lots of people say they have one of the nicest stadiums in I-AA.... did you have something else in mind where they're not getting their due? xconfusedx

Actually yes!! We have a nice mountain against the stadium and a cool river running along side also. Very green grass to tailgate on and great tasting beer....I can't believe you all forgot that! Talk about getting dissed!!!! :D :D :D :D :D xlolx xlolx xlolx xsmiley_wix

Cleets

(Post of the day alert..!!!)

jmufootball2
If you survive through the playoffs, any team deserves the recognition of being a national champion. No excuses.

putter
June 13th, 2007, 05:21 PM
The only thing I can say is that Montana has lost to quality teams in the playoffs. Western Illinois, JMU, YSU, UMass, Georgia Southern, McNeese etc. We are not at the top of the heap but we put out a quality team year after year that can compete with anyone and we have proven that.

patssle
June 13th, 2007, 06:03 PM
I think we need more pictures of Wa-Griz so they think they are getting their due.

AmsterBison
June 14th, 2007, 04:42 AM

You're welcome! :)

FCS Go!
June 14th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Reason would indicate that NDSU should have finished last year ranked second. Why this didn't happen I can't fathom. Perhaps since they weren't eligible, people didn't really pay attention to them. Being in the West probably doesn't help either. Lets hope NDSU can keep this up and gets a chance to prove themselves in the playoffs (just stay away from Missoula, OK xsmiley_wix ).

slostang
June 14th, 2007, 09:33 AM
The only thing I can say is that Montana has lost to quality teams in the playoffs. Western Illinois, JMU, YSU, UMass, Georgia Southern, McNeese etc. We are not at the top of the heap but we put out a quality team year after year that can compete with anyone and we have proven that.

Let's not forget Cal Poly.xsmiley_wix

bison95
June 14th, 2007, 03:23 PM

Everyone's last year for "us" to "let" them win a title is this year! Strap em' up because it is all over but the cryingxlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xsmiley_wix :D

Mountaineer
June 14th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Everyone's last year for "us" to "let" them win a title is this year! Strap em' up because it is all over but the cryingxlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xsmiley_wix :D

Exactly. :p

Starting next year the name of the championship game is being changed to The North Dakota State University Invitational. :D

However, God help the Bison fans on this board if you dont' win it all in 2008. I, and probably most folks, will come out with the guns blazing. xlolx

GtFllsGriz
June 14th, 2007, 03:44 PM

Starting next year the name of the championship game is being changed to The North Dakota State University Invitational. :D

However, God help the Bison fans on this board if you dont' win it all in 2008. I, and probably most folks, will come out with the guns blazing. xlolx

Now that was funny! There is no one out there that had more respect for NDSU when they beat us at home. I stood and clapped for them as they left the field. Now they have had some success and SOME of their fans have become a little confident. It remains to be seen what will happen in the next couple of years but I can sure see where the UND fans will have some fans of AGS joining them if they should have more success than NDSU and choose to relish in it a little bit.

Go Bison
June 14th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Now that was funny! There is no one out there that had more respect for NDSU when they beat us at home. I stood and clapped for them as they left the field. Now they have had some success and SOME of their fans have become a little confident. It remains to be seen what will happen in the next couple of years but I can sure see where the UND fans will have some fans of AGS joining them if they should have more success than NDSU and choose to relish in it a little bit.

Well, when your team goes undefeated in FCS competition how does one not feel confident? Your right it remains to be seen what will happen in the next few years. The 2006 NDSU team was very good. What will happen in 2008? I really don't know but I do like the trend. xnodx

IowaBisonToo
June 14th, 2007, 04:08 PM

That's funny stuff, 'neer!xsmileyclapx Seriously, though, how many delusional fans actually say stuff like "we would have if only we could have?" Hard to believe any reasonable Bison fan would say that since we can't prove it on the field. We can say we would have liked our chances but that's about it. Remember, only a few represent the many.

And Dave, awwwww, never mind.xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

BisonBacker
June 14th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Where did this chip on the Griz nation's shoulder come from? I wasn't aware that FCS fans weren't giving Montana "their due."

I think someone isn't taking App's day in the sun so well...

Bingo We have a winner. xlolx

BisonBacker
June 14th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Not all griz fans but some anyway.

bison95
June 14th, 2007, 04:46 PM

Catchy title! We can cally Chatty Fargo Southxthumbsupx

Remember God is a Bison fan so we already have his help in winning the titles!xbowx xbowx xbowx xnodx xlolx

McTailGator
June 14th, 2007, 09:36 PM

Once the playoffs start, throw the regular season schedule out of the window. It's a 4 game season in the end, you win it, you earned it.

Of course in the long run easy schedules in the regular season may not prepare a team for what happens in the end.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
June 15th, 2007, 09:20 AM
It feels longer than 7 years to us. It has been a fun ride but being able to make the playoffs will really be fun.

And you'll probably get a home game if you're not a seed... xmadx

Somebody please get a new pressbox in Bridgeforth STAT!

I have a good friend here in DC who went to NDSU, so I am looking forward to seeing the Bison in the playoffs, hopefully with my Dukes, and whether it be a gorgeous fall day in the Shenandoah or a trip to Fargo, the tailgating would be epic! xthumbsupx

IowaBisonToo
June 15th, 2007, 02:25 PM
xwhistlex Last time I checked, these types of discussions were settled on the field. Last time I checked the trophy case . . . well, you already know the answer to that one.xwhistlex

No_Skill
June 15th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Wait...what was the original question again????

Let me go look.
Oh yeah. A Griz fan complaining about not getting any respect. xbawlingx xrolleyesx

nevadagriz
June 15th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I NEVER said the griz were disrespected. I simply asked that if they won the NC if this stuff would be brought up after they won it as reasons that they did. I also do not have a problem with APPy being two time champs.
The post was made in part jest and part seriousness.

JALMOND
June 15th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Quality opponents played in the course of the playoffs will trump any "cream puff" schedule put together by the AD. Seems like the cream will always rise to the top.

MountainMan
June 16th, 2007, 10:00 AM

If your season goes anything like ours did last year then the answer would be yes on all accounts. But like others have said, if you make it through four weeks of playoffs nobody can question your championship. Just don't count your eggs before they hatch though... xsmiley_wix

NDSUFREAK
June 16th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Catchy title! We can cally Chatty Fargo Southxthumbsupx

Remember God is a Bison fan so we already have his help in winning the titles!xbowx xbowx xbowx xnodx xlolx

FARGO SOUTH! MY HIGHSCHOOL BABAY! Remember how they dominated the state to the championship?? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx deja vu for 2008xsmiley_wix

NDSUFREAK
June 16th, 2007, 01:46 PM
And you'll probably get a home game if you're not a seed... xmadx

Somebody please get a new pressbox in Bridgeforth STAT!

I have a good friend here in DC who went to NDSU, so I am looking forward to seeing the Bison in the playoffs, hopefully with my Dukes, and whether it be a gorgeous fall day in the Shenandoah or a trip to Fargo, the tailgating would be epic! xthumbsupx

And we will welcome you to the west lot in open arms.xthumbsupx

NDSUFREAK
June 16th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I just want to get this thing over with! Bring the firetrucks to the FFD and then show them how we have changed in these past years. I can say though that we will always have a better atmosphere!

grayghost06
June 17th, 2007, 12:32 AM
No smack intended as I respect Montana's football program as a benchmark as to where I would like JMU to become. However, having said that, when you reach the level of success that they have achieved and can command a 7-4 home/ away schedule split, it does not always prepare you for the rigors of the playoffs. A lot of the great Montana fans on this board have argued that the turf in Chattanoga deprived them of victory in 2004. I look at it from a different perspective. JMU won some big games on the road and was ready to play for the title on a site away from home. Montana went 12-3 that year but went 2-3 away from home. Madison went 8-1 on the road with the one loss being to a ranked WVU team. Sure it balances the books to play so many home games but begs the question as to whether it lulls you into a false sense of security. Montana, because of their consistent success, huge fan base and good scheduling will continue to make the playoffs and likely get most of their playoff games at home. More power to them. The flip side of that is what made 2004 so special for us JMU fans. We didn't have the built in bias of the initial rankings, got screwed by having to play our first round game on the road and yet still managed to make it to the title game. I will always feel that the battle tested road warrior experience won us that game and as such will always applaud a home and home series with tough OOC teams like ASU. No buyouts...just good 'ol fashioned competition.