PDA

View Full Version : Will Montana be the FCS Champion this year?

Ruler 79
June 13th, 2007, 09:07 AM
I ask this as an Albany fan that is trying gauge how we will hold up out there. Beating an average Delaware(no smack intended I promise) team last year was daunting to say the least. It appears on paper after doing a little home work,that UM is far superior to Delaware.

Does anyone know what UA is getting paid to play out in Big Sky country? I posted it on the UA board that we need to get off to a good start against Colgate, Fordham, and Hofstra before we face Goliath!

Ronbo
June 13th, 2007, 09:49 AM
We probably have as good a chance this year as we had in all 5 of the years we made it to the NC game. We were 12-2 last year and have 19 starters back not including a QB that has started 10 games and a former Oklahoma starter stepping in at Center. We have 58 returning lettermen and we only lost 7 players to graduation.

With all that being said, expectations are high, but you can't predict the future. You would need a crystal ball. A team needs to play four tough playoff games to win it all and that is tough, many #1 seeds that were overwhelming favorites to win it all have bowed out early in the playoffs.

NE MT GRIZZ
June 13th, 2007, 09:53 AM
The Griz will not win the NC unless the OC has an epiphany about his playcalling.

:( :(

Ronbo
June 13th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Another of our Coach bashers that sits in the stands and thinks he can call a better game than an OC that played four years and has coached another 15 years. Our OC has led us to a .774 winning percentage, anyone want to trade?

Bet every program has these arm chair coaches.xrolleyesx

McNeese75
June 13th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Another of our Coach bashers that sits in the stands and thinks he can call a better game than an OC that played four years and has coached another 15 years. Our OC has led us to a .774 winning percentage, anyone want to trade?

Bet every program has these arm chair coaches.xrolleyesx

xlolx Ya think????? xnodx

putter
June 13th, 2007, 10:34 AM
If we can get a QB to lead this team we will have a shot but there is a lot of talent out there to get past. I think Albany was paid $100k when they came out a few years ago so my guess would be about $150k this time. But that is just a shot in the dark.

Ruler 79
June 13th, 2007, 10:44 AM
LOL...After the UA/UM tilt I hope you run the table. In 2002 we got beat by the Grizzlies 45-10. We are bringing out a far superior team then our 2002 team which won the NEC outright that year.

I don't think we beat Montana this season but I would like a great showing (there should be 10-12 scholarship kids playing for us). If you guys were coming in with a rebuilding type of team or a young team etc I would actually think we would have a chance. The problem is you guys are loaded for bear this year and yes the pun was intended. By the same token this isin't the US playing the Russians in the 1980
Olympics.

Do you guys run a power O or is it a passing O? Our front 7 is formidable but your horses upfront along with your depth will wear UA down.

NE MT GRIZZ
June 13th, 2007, 10:59 AM
. Our OC has led us to a .774 winning percentage

The players led us to a .774 winning percentage.

CrunchGriz
June 13th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Do you guys run a power O or is it a passing O? Our front 7 is formidable but your horses upfront along with your depth will wear UA down.

Montana moved up in the I-AA world and became known as a passing team back in the early-mid 90s. Since then, though, we've had two straight coaching regimes that stressed balanced offenses and tough defenses.

Barring injuries, expect to see a lot of our two 235-240 lb. running backs (Lex Hilliard will be a Payton candidate if he can return from an achilles injury), with enough passing to our two all-conference-quality receivers (Allen and Chambers, not to mention Bagley, all of whom are 6'3" or taller) and two tall, mobile TEs to keep defenses from stacking the box. As noted above, the line is veteran, talented, and huge (largest in UM history, and not fat-large, but athletic).

As also noted above, the question on O for the Griz this year is at QB, where Cole Bergquist has started 10 games (9 two years ago, 1 last year), but has not yet (absent an excellent performance in his lone start last year against South Dakota State) shown star power. Competence, but not all-conference quality, at least not yet.

bandl
June 13th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Aren't they declared the pre-season NC winner every year? xcoffeex

No, they won't be the FCS champ this year.

Ruler 79
June 13th, 2007, 11:27 AM
I am excited for this game. I will probably make the trip out from Manhattan for the game.

UA's breakdown: 17 starters return. UA has a huge O-line in tact. The returning starters Avg 6'4 weighs 309 per man. RB Omar Johnson is our battering ram at 235lbs. Beigle is our FB at the same weight. Our tail backs will be decided in camp...more then likely 100 kids will carry the ball from this position. QB is our first scholarship kid from OH and is the starter. Played against Delaware last year.

D will be very good led by All American Colin Disch. front 7 is pretty much in tact except for our two NFL ers Barksdale and Coleman are gone.

Montana 28
Albany 13

D is big and experienced

Ruler 79
June 13th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I am excited for this game. I will probably make the trip out from Manhattan for the game.

UA's breakdown: 17 starters return. UA has a huge O-line in tact. The returning starters Avg 6'4 weighs 309 per man. RB Omar Johnson is our battering ram at 235lbs. Beigle is our FB at the same weight. Our tail backs will be decided in camp...more then likely 100 kids will carry the ball from this position. QB is our first scholarship kid from OH and is the starter. Played against Delaware last year.

D will be very good led by All American Colin Disch. front 7 is pretty much in tact except for our two NFL ers Barksdale and Coleman are gone.

Montana 28
Albany 13

SeattleGriz
June 13th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Aren't they declared the pre-season NC winner every year? xcoffeex

No, they won't be the FCS champ this year.

Hard not to be a perennial preseason pick considering the Griz have made the playoffs 14 straight years.

laxVik
June 13th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Kind of like a 25 year old who can;t seem to graduate from high school.

Ronbo
June 13th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Kind of like a 25 year old who can;t seem to graduate from high school.

I completely agree with you. We should have gone I-A the same year Boise State did. Now we are stuck in a High School Conference.

laxVik
June 13th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Yeah state school, mediocre OC games, dishes out moola not to travel. I'd say you refuse to grow up. :)

MplsBison
June 13th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Our OC has led us to a .774 winning percentage, anyone want to trade?

So you're saying defense has nothing to do with it?

Also, with the tradition and facilities that Montana has (probably best in the FCS), have you considered that .774 might be low?

Ronbo
June 13th, 2007, 12:44 PM
So you're saying defense has nothing to do with it?

Also, with the tradition and facilities that Montana has (probably best in the FCS), have you considered that .774 might be low?

NDSU's winning percentage is .692 over the same period. Something wrong with your Coach. Shouldn't it be a lot better?

Umass74
June 13th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Count me as a Griz believer this year.

The return of Hilliard will be a major boost. Love a big back in the playoffs. it's cold. Defenses have played a lot of games. Get a lead and then pound on 'em.

Also I don't think Montana needs a major hero at QB. Get someone who is an accurate passer and runs the offense. That will take the Griz far.

The schedule is conductive to a deep run. Remove Montana from the Big Sky and the rest of the league went 36-50 .418 in 2006 (not counting playoff games). With seven home games and a soft OOC, the Griz should blow through the regular season 11-0.

With a steady QB, I think they have an excellent chance of going to the National Championship game.

already123
June 13th, 2007, 02:20 PM
The BSC is poised to have some pretty good teams this year (MSU PSU NAU...maybe even EWU). I truly believe that if Montana goes thru the Conf Underfeated, they WILL win the National Championship.....this is hard to say as a Lumberjack fan

AZGrizFan
June 13th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I must say, We knew Montana would get a lot of votes but we didn't think that it would have been this onesided. www.smebroadcasting.com (http://www.smebroadcasting.com) We thought that App State and UMass would have had more votes than they did.

I can't explain THAT disparity, but I have to laugh at the 5 who picked Georgia Southern to win it! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

DuckDuckGriz
June 13th, 2007, 04:58 PM
is this the montana team that lost to chadron state?

No.

That would be Montana State.

SeattleGriz
June 13th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I must say, We knew Montana would get a lot of votes but we didn't think that it would have been this onesided. www.smebroadcasting.com (http://www.smebroadcasting.com) We thought that App State and UMass would have had more votes than they did.

Putting a link to your site on eGriz most likely skewed those results. eGriz has a very large poster base, and thus most voted for Montana.

Mountain Panther
June 13th, 2007, 05:47 PM
The BSC is poised to have some pretty good teams this year (MSU PSU NAU...maybe even EWU). I truly believe that if Montana goes thru the Conf Underfeated, they WILL win the National Championship.....this is hard to say as a Lumberjack fan

Wait a minute....there are Montana fans on this site saying that their schedule this year isn't as difficult as past years....going undefeated in the BCS by no means guarantees them the NC.

SeattleGriz
June 13th, 2007, 05:55 PM
In fairness, we did post on all of the schools and conference message boards that we could find.

Sure, and I hope you didn't take my comment as a jab, for it wasn't. Just trying to "temper" the debate that Montana is going to "win it all". Trying not to give other posters locker room material. ;)

AZGrizFan
June 13th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Wait a minute....there are Montana fans on this site saying that their schedule this year isn't as difficult as past years....going undefeated in the BCS by no means guarantees them the NC.

We're specifically speaking about our OOC schedule there, Panther. It's the OTHER (non BSC fans) who continually run down the BSC level of competition. xthumbsupx

MplsBison
June 13th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Shouldn't it be a lot better?

We don't have the facilities or the FCS tradition Montana has, though.

So maybe you can answer my question about Montana, since that's the subject of the thread?

Grizo406
June 13th, 2007, 07:43 PM
No "Jab" taken. Just playing right back to you.

I know some people here are very interested (based on e-mails) and some don't care, but we added a feature in our interactive page called Fans Voice. Respond to the question and we will try to post some of your comments. All comments that come in will be eligible for prizes even if we dont post your comments.

If we are in a good mood maybe we can have one of our girls hand deliver your prize. xnodx

The Grizo ain't touchin' that last sentence!xwhistlex

ncbears
June 13th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I completely agree with you. We should have gone I-A the same year Boise State did. Now we are stuck in a High School Conference.

OK LOSER!!!

xnonono2x xnonono2x

FlyYtown
June 13th, 2007, 07:54 PM
NO.
I do not think they will be the FCS Champion this year. I do think they will make it to the Final 4 of the FCS Playoffs.

igo4uni
June 13th, 2007, 10:58 PM
NO.
I do not think they will be the FCS Champion this year. I do think they will make it to the Final 4 of the FCS Playoffs.

Are you predicting a YSU championship??

Remember.........you come to the fabulous UNI-Dome this year!!

TheCatamount
June 13th, 2007, 11:01 PM
In a word, no.

ucdtim17
June 13th, 2007, 11:18 PM
no

grizband
June 13th, 2007, 11:19 PM
The journey just got tougher if Jimmy Wilson is not on the team...

T-Dog
June 13th, 2007, 11:45 PM
They have about as good a chance as everyone else.

If they get a top two seed in the playoffs, they should make it to Nooga.

But then again, they should have had it last year, but oh well.

Grizalltheway
June 13th, 2007, 11:47 PM
They have about as good a chance as everyone else.

If they get a top two seed in the playoffs, they should make it to Nooga.

But then again, they should have had it last year, but oh well.

Even if we had made it to Chatty, I'm not so sure we would have gotten past you guys. That was an amazing team. xbowx xbowx

UMStudent
June 17th, 2007, 01:14 PM
The journey just got tougher if Jimmy Wilson is not on the team...

I wouldn't be to worried about lossing Jimmy Wilson, although he was an outstanding blitzer. We have plenty of guys who are faster and bigger waiting to prove they can play.

BrevardMountaineer03
June 17th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Okay,
I don't know if I can necassarily predict Montana as the NC after this year.
I still hold that ASU will be tough to beat...with that said Montana has a good shot. I think ASU's offense will lead them. The D Line will find what they need to be good. I thought it would be a Montana ASU final last year. I think that will be the final this year with App 3peating!! (Hopefully)
No matter what Montana will have a tremendous year.

JALMOND
June 17th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Griz do have an easy schedule, although they play probably their three toughest games (@NAU, home to PSU and @MSU) right before the playoffs. Also throw in a trip to the Pocatello barn among that. Those games should give the Griz faithful (and most of the FCS) an idea of what the Griz could do in the playoffs. Those late games might be just enough to get the Griz battle-tested.

Mr. C
June 17th, 2007, 11:07 PM
I wouldn't be to worried about lossing Jimmy Wilson, although he was an outstanding blitzer. We have plenty of guys who are faster and bigger waiting to prove they can play.

You could make the argument that losing Jimmy Wilson before the season is almost as tough as losing Lex Hilliard to season-ending injury last season. Wilson was going to be a preseason All-American and he really had become an impact player in the Montana defense. He was also being viewed as a potential NFL-caliber player. Tough to lose guys like that.

CopperCat
June 17th, 2007, 11:10 PM
You could make the argument that losing Jimmy Wilson before the season is almost as tough as losing Lex Hilliard to season-ending injury last season. Wilson was going to be a preseason All-American and he really had become an impact player in the Montana defense. He was also being viewed as a potential NFL-caliber player. Tough to lose guys like that.

I don't think Wilson is near as instrumental as Hilliard, so I have to disagree. But I do think that losing him will have an impact in some form or fashion. Watching Griz games on TV, I have noticed his presence before several times. He's a good player, and it stinks that he made a bad decision.

Ronbo
June 17th, 2007, 11:46 PM

Jimmy was pretty good but he platooned with Qwenton Freeman, a transfer from Arizona. Freeman should step right in. We also have a very fast RS Freshman from Las Vegas in Jeremy Pate, a 6'1" 190lb CB. He looked really good in spring games covering the guys tight and had a couple int's. The Coache's are very high on Pate.

CopperCat
June 18th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Jimmy was pretty good but he platooned with Qwenton Freeman, a transfer from Arizona. Freeman should step right in. We also have a very fast RS Freshman from Las Vegas in Jeremy Pate, a 6'1" 190lb CB. He looked really good in spring games covering the guys tight and had a couple int's. The Coache's are very high on Pate.

But until he plays on Saturday, its all just talk.

HensRock
June 18th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Yes, Delaware was an average team last year, but I would not be surprised to see Albany beat the Griz this season. I think we took them lightly and paid the price. If Montana does the same, history could repeat.

Sundown
June 18th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Also I don't think Montana needs a major hero at QB. Get someone who is an accurate passer and runs the offense. That will take the Griz far.

With a steady QB, I think they have an excellent chance of going to the National Championship game.

I completely agree. A team doesn't really need to have a "Star" at QB. They do need someone how won't lose the game. Build a fundamentally balanced team around a competent QB and you'll go places, period.

That's one of the reason's I was impressed by Cohen last year. A QB super-star? Nah. Damn good at what he does? Damn straight. An aware, competent QB with excellent accuracy. What more do you need?

I don't mean this as dis-respect in any way. Man, UMASS (the whole team) slugged it out like champs against UM last December. I was there...

Tailbone
June 18th, 2007, 02:07 PM
.....I would not be surprised to see Albany beat the Griz this season. .......

Shoot.
There goes the weak OOC argument. xwhistlex

CopperCat
June 18th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Yes, Delaware was an average team last year, but I would not be surprised to see Albany beat the Griz this season. I think we took them lightly and paid the price. If Montana does the same, history could repeat.

xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox
The only thing Albany will be winning is the pre-game ping pong tournament in the rec center (if they're lucky).

YoUDeeMan
June 19th, 2007, 09:11 AM

Delaware was not an average team last year – they had a good offense (which was handcuffed when Omar went out), but their D was atrocious and could be dominated. The Albany strength (large offensive line) played right into the UD weakness. That line play took our crowd out of the game and gave them hope. If we had an average line last year, we would not have lost.

Albany won't run through Montana's defense. That will be the difference because they won't be able to manhandle the defense, control the clock, and take out the crowd.

Montana will win with relative ease.

I do believe the Griz have the best shot to win the NC this year. Their cupcake schedule will give them home field right up to the championship game.

YoUDeeMan
June 19th, 2007, 09:16 AM

Delaware was not an average team last year – they had a good offense (which was handcuffed when Omar went out), but their D was atrocious and could be dominated. The Albany strength (large offensive line) played right into the UD weakness. That line play took our crowd out of the game and gave them hope. If we had an average line last year, we would not have lost.

Albany won't run through Montana's defense. That will be the difference because Albany won't be able to manhandle the defense, control the clock, and take out the crowd.

Montana will win with relative ease.

I do believe the Griz have the best shot to win the NC this year. Their cupcake schedule will give them home field right up to the championship game.

YoUDeeMan
June 19th, 2007, 09:19 AM
xconfusedx Odd double post. I tried to edit one word but it got stuck, and then it posted twice.

Ronbo
June 19th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Come on you guys. The Big Sky schedule is not cupcake. The Big Sky might be tougher than it's been in a long time. Lot's of teams have most of their players back. NAU, EWU, PSU, and MSU will all test us. Weber just went up a notch with the Alabama QB they just got. We'll face at least 5 tough tests maybe 6 going into the playoffs.

james_lawfirm
June 19th, 2007, 09:47 AM

Cluck:
The one BIG problem with a cupcake schedule & winning each game 40+ to 0 is that your team does not face tight games when it really counts. THIS is where a team learns & grows. More than anything else, ASU's tough schedules (maybe not as difficult as some) over the last two years are a positive reason for their success in the playoffs. If the only tough competition a team faces comes in the playoffs, one never really knows how the team will respond. Perfect example in '05 is Hampton: cupcake schedule = #4 seed = First Round Loss.

To me, the ideal scenario is to find competitive OOC opponents, even if you lose half of them, if builds character and a competitive edge. Then, go win your conference to get the auto-bid.

Not to mention the argument that a cupcake schedule will prevent a team from receiving a #1 or #2 seed, which is the only way to guarantee home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

On a side note, I think it is about time that Montana comes to visit Boone in the playoffs.

AZGrizFan
June 19th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Come on you guys. The Big Sky schedule is not cupcake. The Big Sky might be tougher than it's been in a long time. Lot's of teams have most of their players back. NAU, EWU, PSU, and MSU will all test us. Weber just went up a notch with the Alabama QB they just got. We'll face at least 5 tough tests maybe 6 going into the playoffs.

I've moved beyond this issue, Ronbo. There simply are some posters who, no matter what, will ALWAYS consider the BSC competition to be a "fluff schedule". I refuse to waste my breath or go hoarse (figuratively speaking, of course) trying to convince them otherwise. xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

AZGrizFan
June 19th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Cluck:
The one BIG problem with a cupcake schedule & winning each game 40+ to 0 is that your team does not face tight games when it really counts. THIS is where a team learns & grows. More than anything else, ASU's tough schedules (maybe not as difficult as some) over the last two years are a positive reason for their success in the playoffs. If the only tough competition a team faces comes in the playoffs, one never really knows how the team will respond. Perfect example in '05 is Hampton: cupcake schedule = #4 seed = First Round Loss.

To me, the ideal scenario is to find competitive OOC opponents, even if you lose half of them, if builds character and a competitive edge. Then, go win your conference to get the auto-bid.

Not to mention the argument that a cupcake schedule will prevent a team from receiving a #1 or #2 seed, which is the only way to guarantee home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

On a side note, I think it is about time that Montana comes to visit Boone in the playoffs.

I'm assuming you're not talking about Montana here? xconfusedx xconfusedx

Tod
June 19th, 2007, 12:13 PM

It's hard to figure, AZ. People like to insult the Big Sky without taking into account that other than Western Kentucky, no Gateway team other than YSU (and I don't believe they were in the Gateway for two of their NCs) has won an NC since 1983, when SIU won (if they were even in the conference way back then). But the Gatway gets tons of respect, even though WKU is gone and YSU isn't the dominant team it once was (but is certainly good again).

The Southland is like a weaker Big Sky, some teams that never do anything, some that make some noise once in awhile, and McNeese. They have one NC, way back when LA-Monroe won it all back in '87. But no cross words for the Southland.

The Patriot is 0-2 in NC games. But a fine league.

The OVC? If EKU was part of the OVC when they won their two NCs, it's still been awhile.

I'm not talking about who the strongest conferences are. Right now there is no doubt that the A-10/CAA and SoCon are dominating the title game, but how the Big Sky takes so much heat and others are let off scott free is beyond me.

james_lawfirm
June 19th, 2007, 12:44 PM

Nope. I don't know if Montana will have a "cupcake" schedule or not in '07. I really was not trying to pick on any school in particular. I was only discussing the pros/cons of having a "cupcake" schedule. Pro = good chance at winning record; Con = team may falter at first stiff competition in playoffs.

The obvious example, which I mentioned specifically, was Hampton in '05.

And, I did end my earlier post with a comment that it would be nice to see Montana in Boone in '07, regardless of their strength of schedule. App fans still remember our last visit to Montana & we would love to return the favor.

already123
June 19th, 2007, 12:58 PM
I cant believe people are really trying to say that the BSC is a joke!
Every year, some of the top offenses and defenses come from a BSC team

Since the award's inception, the BSC has crowned 6 Walter Payton winners...far more than any other conference

To say that the this conference and its players are soft is an insult. Anyone who wins this conference deserves the respect of anyone across the nation!

Just ask McNeese St. in 2003 (NAU tied for 1st in the conference but only got a 16th seed with an at large bid. McNeese, the then #1 team in the nation, allowed their home crowd to see NAU beat them 35-3.) Dont take the BSC lightly

already123
June 19th, 2007, 12:58 PM
and I 'm pretty sure MSU beat and over rated Furman last year as well.....the stories go on!

ncbears
June 19th, 2007, 01:13 PM

Didn't you say the Big SKy conference is full of high school teams? You're the biggest idiot.

already123
June 19th, 2007, 01:21 PM
i concur

Ronbo
June 19th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Didn't you say the Big SKy conference is full of high school teams? You're the biggest idiot.

Not High School Teams you dolt. High School stadiums and HS fan following.

GaSouthern
June 19th, 2007, 08:06 PM
the griz are due, GSU is due also, we win a national championship an average of every four years :) so hopefully the griz win this year and the Hatch Attack Eagles win next year! I can dream!

already123
June 21st, 2007, 11:27 AM
ummm....xrolleyesx