PDA

View Full Version : Terrible hometown newspapers

fufanatic
August 15th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Everyday while glancing through the The Greenville News, I get madder and madder at the lack of coverage for its home town team, Furman. While the big state schools, Clemscum and the Lamecocks, get page after page of coverage, the preseason #1 or #2 ranked team in the country and Greenville's own gets little to no coverage. Do your favorite 1-AA teams get this lack of respect?

DuckDuckGriz
August 15th, 2005, 05:11 PM
The Missoulian is great for Griz but I am sure I can speak for all EWU fans when I say the Eagles rarely get much out of the Spokesman Review. Its tough for that area to balance WSU/UI/EWU but Eastern is usually the best in their division out of those three.

But one team that doesn't get squat is Portland State. The Oregonian almost makes it seem like PSU doesn't exist.

superbrett2000
August 15th, 2005, 05:44 PM
The Missoulian is great for Griz but I am sure I can speak for all EWU fans when I say the Eagles rarely get much out of the Spokesman Review. Its tough for that area to balance WSU/UI/EWU but Eastern is usually the best in their division out of those three.

Yea, you are certainly right here. What really irritated me was how EWU is pretty much ignored by the local paper, then when we did well in basketball by making the Big Dance and were co Big Sky champions last year, they decided to do some major articles about us and let Spokane know there was such a thing as EWU athletics. I would have rather the Spokesman review continue to ignore us rather than jump on the band wagon. Actually, most of Spokane seems very band wagon like. God help Gonzaga should their basketball program go down the toilet.

DuckDuckGriz
August 15th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Oh man I forgot Gonzaga too. I remember reading the Spokesman when the Eagles made it to the Big Dance and it was like EWU had just been discovered. Alot of the interest was also when the Zags faded out of the tournament. Just feel lucky you're not like PSU, where you're lucky to find even a score in the Oregonian.

Coastal89
August 15th, 2005, 05:54 PM
No. The Sun News gives great coverage to all Coastal sports. They've had an article a day since camp began 2 weeks ago profileing 1 starter each day. During the season Sunday issues have no less than 4 pages covering every aspect of Saturdays game. USC and Clemtech have finally been pushed back to page 5.

Husky Alum
August 15th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Now given the status of 1-AA football in Boston, I think the coverage is marginally adequate. You'll get a staff reporter for every NU and Harvard home game, but on the road, it's catch as catch can.

There's a pregame article on Saturday, but generally that's it. There's a college football column each week in the Globe but its generally dominated by BC.

The Boston Herald is marginally better.

BC's coverage is real good, but they're 1-A and in the ACC and given the competition for sports pages from the Sox, Pats, Bruins, Celtics, etc., one really can't complain, but BC does get the Lion's share of the ink in town.

blackfordpu
August 15th, 2005, 06:41 PM
The Huntsville Item does a really good job of covering the team. Just about every other day now there is a new article about the Kat's football team and what is going on.

DFW HOYA
August 15th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Here's the order of fall sports in the Washington papers:
1. Redskins
2. Redskins
3. Redskins
4. Redskins
5. Redskins
6. Maryland
7. Navy
8. Virginia Tech
9. Old Redskins news
10. Howard
11. Georgetown
12. Everyone else

RadMann
August 15th, 2005, 07:58 PM
While the Wilmington News Journal gets a lot of heat from many UD fans, it covers the Blue Hens football team very thoroughly. Just about every day there is a story or two. For example, in today's paper there are two stories:

Story on a UD Senior's outlook on the season (http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050815/SPORTS07/508150319/1002/SPORTS)

Story on a UD senior whose injury already ends his season (http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050815/SPORTS07/508150322/1002/SPORTS)

http://vh10018.v1.moc.gbahn.net/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=BL&Date=20050815&Category=SPORTS07&ArtNo=508150319&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&title=1

JALMOND
August 15th, 2005, 09:25 PM
The Oregonian's football coverage...

1. Ducks
2. Beavers
3. UW
4. Wazzu
5. Blazers preseason/training camp
6. The rest of the Pac-10
7. Linfield
8. Portland State
9. Jesuit High School
10. Any Division 1 school that has an Oregon athlete starring for them (this year, probably Boise State)

Hey, at least we made the top 10. Really, though, they usually put the PSU writeup above the Big Sky roundup, using the Griz game as a headline for the rest of the Big Sky.

PAmedic
August 15th, 2005, 11:02 PM
gotta admit I thought Liberty was alone out there in getting virtually ignored on a yearly basis (unless Jerry Falwell bashing was in season, as it ALWAYS is).
The News & Advance of Lynchburg (affectionately known as fishwrap) is particularly fond of reporting on UVa, Tech, any and all local HS football, goings on at the mall or Smith Mt Lake, and then MAYBE Liberty, if any room is left- after ad space, of course.

GreatAppSt
August 16th, 2005, 12:17 AM
While the Wilmington News Journal gets a lot of heat from many UD fans, it covers the Blue Hens football team very thoroughly. Just about every day there is a story or two. For example, in today's paper there are two stories:

Story on a UD Senior's outlook on the season (http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050815/SPORTS07/508150319/1002/SPORTS)

Story on a UD senior whose injury already ends his season (http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050815/SPORTS07/508150322/1002/SPORTS)

http://vh10018.v1.moc.gbahn.net/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=BL&Date=20050815&Category=SPORTS07&ArtNo=508150319&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&title=1

She's Cute! :D

SpiritCymbal
August 16th, 2005, 12:35 AM
The Statesboro Herald covers Georgia Southern very well. Most of this was due to the wonderful Scott Garner (yes the High Priest himself) who was editor of the sports page. Now that he's moving on, I hope that the Herald continues it's great coverage of all Ga. Southern programs.

The closest "large" paper is the Savannah Morning news which does a good job of covering Ga. Southern as well. They have really stepped up their coverage over the past couple of years and it is greatly appreciated by all Ga. Southern fans.

The closest "Big Time" paper is the Atlanta Journal Constitution which covers country fair pig races better than Georgia Southern. I'm not so sure that the sports editor has even heard of Ga. Southern. Of course the AJC basically covers UGA only. It's pretty sad that Georgia Tech (located in Atlanta) doesn't receive even half the coverage UGA does.

Gil Dobie
August 16th, 2005, 08:13 AM
The Sioux Falls Newspaper, Argus Leader. Some Jackrabbit fans may want to comment on them. Heard they have been very negative towards SDSU's move to Division I.

LBPop
August 16th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Here's the order of fall sports in the Washington papers:
1. Redskins
2. Redskins
3. Redskins
4. Redskins
5. Redskins
6. Maryland
7. Navy
8. Virginia Tech
9. Old Redskins news
10. Howard
11. Georgetown
12. Everyone else

I laughed and cried at the same time when reading your list. Assuming that the new Washington Nationals do not qualify as a "fall sport", I have only one suggested revision. For the Washington Post you can probably slip in High School Football--probably at #9 bumping Howard and Georgetown down one notch. :(

Tribe4SF
August 16th, 2005, 10:41 AM
The Tribe and Hampton both suffer from "page 3 syndrome" at the Daily Press. Anything Redskins, Hokies or Hoos is deemed to be far more newsworthy. Our coverage in the Richmond Times Dispatch and The Norfolk Virginian Pilot is nearly as broad as in the Daily Press.

OL FU
August 16th, 2005, 11:11 AM
While it is bothersome, I got used to the News lack of FU coverage years ago. It is a business and the vast majority of their customers read FU coverage and think "that's nice".

Somewhat off subject, but typical local experience. A couple of days ago while standing in the grocery check out line someone mention FU football. Stupid person standing in line says "They ain't that good anyhow". I, of course, cannot pass up an opportunity and I say, "They ain't that good at wut? I kin tell you one thang they'd be purty good at. Learnin' you some ******in' anglish."

Fastest trip ever through the grocery check out.

McTailGator
August 16th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Everyday while glancing through the The Greenville News, I get madder and madder at the lack of coverage for its home town team, Furman. While the big state schools, Clemscum and the Lamecocks, get page after page of coverage, the preseason #1 or #2 ranked team in the country and Greenville's own gets little to no coverage. Do your favorite 1-AA teams get this lack of respect?

I've been to several I-AA towns, and I can tell you that IMO, the Lake Charles American Press has the some of the best coverage of ANY I-AA school, and all of I-AA for that matter.

McNeese coverage is typically above the fold (over LSU) in every Sunday paper. The only other coverage that I have ever seen simular, or better, was that of Nebraska and Texas A&M on game day and the day after we played in those places. the paper in Omaha really dedicates a lot of resources to Cornhusker football. The Houston Chronical has SEVERAL other Texas teams to cover as well. But UT and A&M ge tthe bulk of the press.

Inside there are at least 3 or more pages dedicated to every game, with many COLOR photo's and analysis.

Plus, game day gets 3 or more pages as well. And there is at lest another full page in every sports section during the entire week. It sells a lot of newspapers for them.

DUPFLFan
August 16th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Des Moines Register has terrible coverage for Drake. No stories in the past 4 months... :deadhorse

aggie6thman
August 16th, 2005, 12:36 PM
is one of the worst in the country, if not the worst. You can never count on the Enterprise to fulfill your Aggie needs.

ucdtim17
August 16th, 2005, 01:33 PM
is one of the worst in the country, if not the worst. You can never count on the Enterprise to fulfill your Aggie needs.

Well they're sure as hell better than the Bee when it comes to UCD athletics. In the Bee it goes

1. Kings
2. Kings
3. Niners
4. Raiders
5. Giants
6. A's
7. Cal
8. High school football
9. Stanford
10. Rest of IA
11. UCD/Sac

X-Factor
August 16th, 2005, 01:36 PM

but thankfully we have CK and the GWFC site.

Green Cookie Monster
August 16th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Well they're sure as hell better than the Bee when it comes to UCD athletics. In the Bee it goes

1. Kings
2. Kings
3. Niners
4. Raiders
5. Giants
6. A's
7. Cal
8. High school football
9. Stanford
10. Rest of IA
11. Sirens-womens football
12. UCD/Sac

What about the BS printed this morning? Ok, HS football is kinda important, but to dedicate almost the entire sports section to HS football w/o ANY mention of Sac and Davis baffles the hell out of me. The Suck Bee is communist. You forgot to list the Siren's, the womens pro team in town.

IaaScribe
August 16th, 2005, 04:12 PM
When I used to come through Sac for basketball games while covering NAU, I was stunned at the lack of coverage. Half the time, the Bee didn't even mention that the game was happening. I understand that the Kings will always be the No. 1 beat in that town, but Sac State should at least get an advance capsule for home games.

fufanatic
August 16th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Its sad to hear that other schools have the same lack of coverage that Furman does. Maybe one day.....

SUJaguar79
August 16th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Other than LSU in our paper (Baton Rouge Advocate), we get top-billing. The New orleans Saints and Hornets are behind us, seriously.

aggie6thman
August 16th, 2005, 05:45 PM
It said hometown papers so that is why I chose the Davis Enterprise. I know how bad the Sac Bee can be as well.

igo4uni
August 16th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Des Moines Register has terrible coverage for Drake. No stories in the past 4 months... :deadhorse

Wow, I thought the Des Moines Register was tough on the Panthers. :) :)

Looks like the Drake fans need to make their presence known to the hometown Register.

peace

igo4uni

catbob
August 16th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Cats and Griz rank supreme in all papers in Montana. :)

Mr. C
August 17th, 2005, 01:25 AM
When I used to come through Sac for basketball games while covering NAU, I was stunned at the lack of coverage. Half the time, the Bee didn't even mention that the game was happening. I understand that the Kings will always be the No. 1 beat in that town, but Sac State should at least get an advance capsule for home games.
The Bee also owns my hometown newspaper in Fresno. McClatchy-owned papers have always thought they were bigger and more important than they really, truly are and hence they don't understand some of the basics of coverage that they really need to get a clue about. They would rather be off covering the Giants, or 49ers in San Francisco than the local folks in their backyard. Ironically, Mr. C was good enough to get a job writing sports for the Los Angeles Times, but wasn't ever given the time of day by the Bee. They would rather have some stiff from some big newspaper out east than someone who knows the ins and outs of their local community.

MR. CHICKEN
August 17th, 2005, 07:20 AM
She's Cute! :D

MOUSEKETEER..........."SHE" CAN BRING DUH SLOBBERKNOCKER!......MAY WANT TA AVOID HIM.....IFIN' YA COME TA DUH DANCE!....AWK!

blur2005
August 17th, 2005, 07:42 AM
I'd say that while the Daily News-Record is known for it's mistakes and foolishness, the only college it really covers is JMU. There's stuff from Virginia Tech and UVA in there some, too, but mainly it's JMU.

DaBears
August 17th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Today the Greeley Tribune had an article about CU football but nothing on UNC. it is pretty typical--it truly has to be the worst hometown paper in the U.S.

RadMann
August 17th, 2005, 11:54 AM
I'm not from VA, but on the web that Richmond Times Dispatch seems to give I-AA VA regional teams pretty decent coverage.

DuckDuckGriz
August 17th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Looks like Furman fans are doing something about their problem -- giving hell to their hometown paper on lack of coverage. The UFFP (http://www.theuffp.com/)

OL FU
August 17th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Looks like Furman fans are doing something about their problem -- giving hell to their hometown paper on lack of coverage. The UFFP (http://www.theuffp.com/)

Maybe it worked. Big Article today on the coaches wearing hats to protect their heads from the sun :rolleyes:

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050817/SPORTS0103/508170342/1027

Edit, not a slam at the UFFP efforts. I am cheering for them.

grizbeer
August 17th, 2005, 01:39 PM
The Bee also owns my hometown newspaper in Fresno. McClatchy-owned papers have always thought they were bigger and more important than they really, truly are and hence they don't understand some of the basics of coverage that they really need to get a clue about. They would rather be off covering the Giants, or 49ers in San Francisco than the local folks in their backyard. Ironically, Mr. C was good enough to get a job writing sports for the Los Angeles Times, but wasn't ever given the time of day by the Bee. They would rather have some stiff from some big newspaper out east than someone who knows the ins and outs of their local community.

The Bee must be about the worst in the country - the only articles I ever find about CSUS is when they write something negative, or get excited about the possibility of dropping football. UCD seems to get better coverage, but still not great.

The Tacoma News Tribune, which is a McClatchy paper also, used to have probably the best sports department in the country, with Don Borst covering college football, John Clayton covering NFL, Larry LaRue covering MLB, and columnist assigned to the local D-III teams as well, with lots of coverage of the 2 D-III teams. They also give some attention to EWU since so many players come out of the Tacoma area.

Unfortunately Borst and Clayton have moved on and the sports department isn't as good it once was, but still better coverage of local sports than either Seattle paper.

ngineer
August 17th, 2005, 08:01 PM
In the Lehigh Valley we have two papers that cover Lehigh and Lafayette, plus D-II Kutztown, East Stroudsburg, and D-III's Moravian and Muhlenberg. Penn State certainly gets a lot of coverage, but depending on whose program is 'on top' they usually get front page billing--at least among the D-I's. The Morning Call, based in Allentown, is somewhat more tilted toward Lehigh, whereas the Express-Times, based in Easton usually pumps Lafayette, but that would be expected. Actually, I think the columnists at the Express-Timeshave been more positive at times toward Lehigh than those of the Call, which likes to view itself as a 'bigger' paper, which some feel requires the cynical punditry at times like we are accustomed to in 'big city' papers.

MR. CHICKEN
August 17th, 2005, 08:05 PM
NEW YOK POST........HOFSTRA...WHO????.....:o......BAWK!