PDA

View Full Version : 1000+ Yards in 2005

Gil Dobie
August 15th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Who are the players on your team that may be 1000+ yard rushers or receivers this year?

NDSU could have Steffes at RB and White at WR both with 1000 yards.
Outside chance would be RB Chapman.

TxSt02
August 15th, 2005, 02:50 PM
All I care about is that my boy KR (seen below) gets the ball enough... he will have 1k+ next year not counting the playoffs ;)

bluehenbillk
August 15th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Omar Cuff @ Delaware.

Eagle_77
August 15th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Jermaine Austin and prob Jayson Foster.

charliej
August 15th, 2005, 03:03 PM
JJ Outlaw has the best shot at Nova.Mo Gibson probably could if they ran the ball miore.

WCU LawCat
August 15th, 2005, 03:15 PM
RB Darius Fudge

WR is a toss up with Eddie Cohen or one of 2 WR transfers.

89Hen
August 15th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Omar Cuff @ Delaware.
:nod: Let's hope so.

colgate13
August 15th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Ray LaMonica RB @ Colgate
DeWayne Long WR @ Colgate (if the NCAA grants him another year)

89Hen
August 15th, 2005, 03:24 PM
LaMonica
Why does that name sound familiar (other than from CU)? Hen fans, didn't we have a LaMonica in the 70's? Crypes my mind is like mush. :(

Cocky
August 15th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Clay Green will have 1,000+ rushing and one our freshman RBs should be close. Our QB may make 1,000 passing but no wrs.

Ivytalk
August 15th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Clifton Dawson of Harvard, RB.

mainejeff
August 15th, 2005, 04:00 PM
For Maine:

RB Montell Owens

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/main/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/193225.jpeg

WR Kevin McMahan

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/main/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/p-KevinMcMahan.jpg

WR Ryan Waller

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/main/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/p-RyanWaller.jpg

golionsgo
August 15th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Who are the players on your team that may be 1000+ yard rushers or receivers this year?

NDSU could have Steffes at RB and White at WR both with 1000 yards.
Outside chance would be RB Chapman.

Southeastern Louisiana has a couple of guys who are capable, depending on which one steps up and gets the majority of the carries. Jerald Watson (5-9, 210, So.) is an Auburn transfer who ran a 10.3 100 meters in high school. He's got some power to go with the speed and has potential to be a great one. Mario Gilbert (5-10, 210, So.) is not quite as fast but is very elusive and a tough runner. Obviously they both won't rush for 1,000 yards this year but I think one of them could easily.

Since we run the Air Raid and had Martin Hankins, a lot of people don't realize we had a back rush for 1,148 yards last year. He's (Ray Perkins) currently in the San Diego Chargers camp.

89Hen
August 15th, 2005, 04:28 PM
umassfan wanted me to post that Baylark will rush for 2000, Tim Day for 1000, Brandon will catch 1500 and Don Brown has guaranteed they will hold the opposition to less than 1000 on the ground for the entire season. :p

putter
August 15th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Lex Hilliard RB should get a grand on the ground. Lots of new receivers and two new QB's so unsure about a receiver stepping up. Maybe Jon Talmage.

Retro
August 15th, 2005, 04:34 PM
For Mcneese, Chris Thomas #3.. He fell just 48 yards short last season, but missed a couple of games due to injury...

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/mcne/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/209489.jpeg

Toppermaniac
August 15th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Leron Moore of Western Kentucky University.

eagle1
August 15th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Either Ryan Cole or Dale Morris (RBs) will top a thousand yards. They are both battling for the starting position at EWU. EWU has had a thousand yard rusher 9 out of the last 10 years. Kimble (WR) will once again go over a thousand yards receiving. Go Eagles!!!

Doo Cane 4 ever
August 15th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Here at Duquesne (please don't forget the mid-majors), I think we have a shot of getting a 1,000 yards out of Jeremy McCullough even though we only have a 10 game season I think he can average a 100 yards a game. However, he is also a real good receiver so he may also get 400-500 yards receiving depending on the play calling.
http://myspace-273.vo.llnwd.net/00155/37/29/155609273_l.jpg

DFW HOYA
August 15th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Georgetown RB Kim Sarin rushed for 1,051 last year and was a strong favorite to do so again; however, there is talk floating that he could be out for the season with an injury.

SpiritCymbal
August 15th, 2005, 08:18 PM
RB Jermaine Austin
QB Jayson Foster
outside chance that SB Maynard will eclipse the mark

Tribe4SF
August 15th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Tribe running backs may not have one because of platooning, but Delmus Coley may take over the show.

WR candidates are Joe Nicholas and Josh Lustig.

SiouxFallsJack
August 15th, 2005, 10:37 PM
For SDSU Anthony Watson should have another 1000 yard rushing season and if WR Josh Davis stays healthy he should break a 1000 yards receiving.

ChiefGSU275
August 15th, 2005, 11:51 PM
GSU as a team will have 1000 rushing yards by the third game of the year. Individually, Austin and Foster, and depending on how well Foster can throw the ball, look for Teddy Craft to have 1000 receiving yards.

SpiritCymbal
August 16th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Craft will not have 1,000 yards this year. The most anyone in GSU history has had was Chris Johnson and that was only 600+ back when 90% of the passes went his way (with a much better passer in Greg Hill). I'll be very surprised if Foster/Smiley even approach 1,000 passing together this season. Neither can throw the ball worth a damn......

Ronbo
August 16th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Junior Lex Hilliard worked hard this summer and came into camp bigger, stronger, and faster. He's up to 240 and it was reported that he was in the top 5 in 100 yard sprint times, and we have many DB's and receivers that were track sprinters in HS. One of the Griz players told a friend of mine that Lex is just a freak of nature.

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/files/photo_content/football/2005/fall_camp2/pic16.jpg

colgate13
August 16th, 2005, 08:07 AM
What's up with the Montana practice jerseys? The numbers have a weird font on them, like some game jersey's I've seen.

Ronbo
August 16th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Yeah, the offensive players are wearing jersey's with a kind of italic font.

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/files/photo_content/football/2005/fall_camp2/pic04.jpg

And the defense has normal looking numbers.

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/files/photo_content/football/2005/fall_camp2/pic14.jpg

TxState_GO_CATS!
August 16th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Since we run the Air Raid and had Martin Hankins, a lot of people don't realize we had a back rush for 1,148 yards last year. He's (Ray Perkins) currently in the San Diego Chargers camp.

wow. i'd be the first to admit that i didn't know that. did he gain those yards on screen plays b/c i can't remember ever seeing you guys run the ball, lol.

MSUCats
August 16th, 2005, 09:19 AM
For Sures:

Domineck RB
Gatewood WR

Possibles:

Bass RB
Murray WR or Guin WR

colgate13
August 16th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Very strange Ronbo. Also, who decided that maroon practice pants would be a good idea in the summer? :confused:

Eagle_77
August 16th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Craft will not have 1,000 yards this year. The most anyone in GSU history has had was Chris Johnson and that was only 600+ back when 90% of the passes went his way (with a much better passer in Greg Hill). I'll be very surprised if Foster/Smiley even approach 1,000 passing together this season. Neither can throw the ball worth a damn......

Wow you have taken quite the negative stand on GSU this year. Starting to remind me of Swami and App St? Why so many negative remarks?

Ronbo
August 16th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Very strange Ronbo. Also, who decided that maroon practice pants would be a good idea in the summer? :confused:

Our temps for practice have been mid 80's, high 70's so far. The guys look warm but at those temps I doubt the pants make much difference. Maybe high 90's to low 100's they would.

SpiritCymbal
August 16th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Wow you have taken quite the negative stand on GSU this year. Starting to remind me of Swami and App St? Why so many negative remarks?
So you think that it's likely that Craft will get 1,000 yards this year? Heck, we haven't had a GSU QB throw for 1,000 yards yards TOTAL since 2000. How well do you know your GSU football history?

GSU Receiving Leaders
1. Chris Johnson - 673 yards (2000 - J.R. Revere)
2. Monty Sharpe - 654 yards (1984 - Tracy Ham)
3. Corey Joyner - 595 yards (1997 - Greg Hill)
4. Frank Johnson - 582 yards (1986 - Tracy Ham)
5. Tony Belser - 561 yards (1987 - Raymond Gross)

I'm sorry that you view it as negative.....I'm just trying to be realistic. Sorry if you're offended, but anyone even slightly educated in GSU football will know that a 1,000 yard receiver is about as likely as us NOT having a 1,000 yard rusher. I'm affraid that too many GSU fans think this season is going to be a breeze when it could very well be the opposite. I hear GSU fans say all the time on Southern-Connection that we'll easily go 10-1 or 11-0. Don't get me wrong, I think Foster is one of the most talented and exciting players to ever put on the Eagle jersey. But it's hard to imagine that even a player as talented as him will be able to become a master of one of the hardest offensive systems in college football, in one summer????????

Sorry bossman.....someone has to keep it real around here!

DUPFLFan
August 16th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Scott Phaydavong of Drake will be well over 1000 yds this year

GannonFan
August 16th, 2005, 02:33 PM
But it's hard to imagine that even a player as talented as him will be able to become a master of one of the hardest offensive systems in college football, in one summer????????

Was this in jest? One of the hardest offensive systems in college football? I'm certainly a fan of running football and as a past afficianado of the Wing-T I can surely appreciate the nuances of an option attack, but it's relatively simple in it's approach. The beauty of the GSU attack is not trying to guess what's going to happen and who goes where - everyone knows what's going to happen - it's just a question of execution (especially blocking and getting off the blocks) and who does a better job of executing. There are definitely a lot more complicated, although not necessarily more effective, offensive systems out there.

Eagle_77
August 16th, 2005, 04:08 PM
So you think that it's likely that Craft will get 1,000 yards this year? Heck, we haven't had a GSU QB throw for 1,000 yards yards TOTAL since 2000. How well do you know your GSU football history?

GSU Receiving Leaders
1. Chris Johnson - 673 yards (2000 - J.R. Revere)
2. Monty Sharpe - 654 yards (1984 - Tracy Ham)
3. Corey Joyner - 595 yards (1997 - Greg Hill)
4. Frank Johnson - 582 yards (1986 - Tracy Ham)
5. Tony Belser - 561 yards (1987 - Raymond Gross)

I'm sorry that you view it as negative.....I'm just trying to be realistic. Sorry if you're offended, but anyone even slightly educated in GSU football will know that a 1,000 yard receiver is about as likely as us NOT having a 1,000 yard rusher. I'm affraid that too many GSU fans think this season is going to be a breeze when it could very well be the opposite. I hear GSU fans say all the time on Southern-Connection that we'll easily go 10-1 or 11-0. Don't get me wrong, I think Foster is one of the most talented and exciting players to ever put on the Eagle jersey. But it's hard to imagine that even a player as talented as him will be able to become a master of one of the hardest offensive systems in college football, in one summer????????

Maybe I should have been clearer on what I thought your negative comment was. It had nothing to do with Craft getting a 1,000 yards or any receiver at that matter. I agree with you 100%. With the way we currently run the offense we may never see a 1,000-yard receiver. The system is set up to produce such receivers but we do not use it for that and do not call the plays that would make this possible. As far as my GSU history goes I can debate with just about anyone on any team from 96 on and have a pretty damn good knowledge of the times before that just not quite as much.

Heck, we haven't had a GSU QB throw for 1,000 yards yards TOTAL since 2000.

Didn’t Chaz throw for something like 1178 and 13 TD's last season?

What I thought your negative comment was in this particular in this post was that Foster or Smiley can’t throw worth a damn. I agree that they are not as good as Ham or Kenny Robinson or Greg Hill but they aren’t terrible either.
Up until last year everyone cracked on Chaz but he did a pretty damn good job. Foster especially should be given a chance to prove himself. He played very little QB last year and is looking at the starting position this year as a sophomore. While I agree that he needs to improve greatly to be a good to great passer in our system I also believe the he will be an adequate passer for his first year.

To be honest with you its not so much this post that had me ask this question. I have seen on a few other posts that you made comments that seemed negative. To be honest it was more of a question asking if you did have a problem with something the program is doing. It wasn’t smack and I apologize if it seemed that way.

Eagle_77
August 16th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Was this in jest? One of the hardest offensive systems in college football? I'm certainly a fan of running football and as a past afficianado of the Wing-T I can surely appreciate the nuances of an option attack, but it's relatively simple in it's approach. The beauty of the GSU attack is not trying to guess what's going to happen and who goes where - everyone knows what's going to happen - it's just a question of execution (especially blocking and getting off the blocks) and who does a better job of executing. There are definitely a lot more complicated, although not necessarily more effective, offensive systems out there.

Unlike the Wing-T GSU's option attack is much more complicated for the QB. There are several reads before the snap is ever taken. Often with the QB checking to a different play according to the line-up of the defense. Once the snap takes place the QB usually has to make 2-3 more reads. A missed read in our offense can make the difference in a 3 yard loss or a 25 yard gain.

SpiritCymbal
August 16th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Maybe I should have been clearer on what I thought your negative comment was. It had nothing to do with Craft getting a 1,000 yards or any receiver at that matter. I agree with you 100%. With the way we currently run the offense we may never see a 1,000-yard receiver. The system is set up to produce such receivers but we do not use it for that and do not call the plays that would make this possible. As far as my GSU history goes I can debate with just about anyone on any team from 96 on and have a pretty damn good knowledge of the times before that just not quite as much.

Didn’t Chaz throw for something like 1178 and 13 TD's last season?

What I thought your negative comment was in this particular in this post was that Foster or Smiley can’t throw worth a damn. I agree that they are not as good as Ham or Kenny Robinson or Greg Hill but they aren’t terrible either.
Up until last year everyone cracked on Chaz but he did a pretty damn good job. Foster especially should be given a chance to prove himself. He played very little QB last year and is looking at the starting position this year as a sophomore. While I agree that he needs to improve greatly to be a good to great passer in our system I also believe the he will be an adequate passer for his first year.

To be honest with you its not so much this post that had me ask this question. I have seen on a few other posts that you made comments that seemed negative. To be honest it was more of a question asking if you did have a problem with something the program is doing. It wasn’t smack and I apologize if it seemed that way.
No apology necessary. Sorry too if I came accross a little defensively.

As for my comment about Foster and Smiley's passing game....yes it was negative. After watching the Blue-White game I am EXTREMELY concerned about our offensive production. While Foster's elusiveness added with our SB's and FB's pure speed all brought together by 4 returning offensive linemen has me drooling.....we're wont see the production we're expecting if they cant vastly improve on their passing game. Until they can prove that they can hit receivers and turn in an effective passing game (notice I said effective, not necessarily more passing) we're going to see defenses put 8-9 in the box for 4 quarters. And even with all our talent, it's not going to be the walk in the park that most are "predicting".

As for other comments........the problem I have is with the SoCon in general and other factors invovled with GSU outside of the athletic department. Two things have made things better over the past couple of months. 1) Ricky Ray in the marketing department is a breath of fresh air that the school has been missing for a while. 2) Danny Morrison leaving the SoCon. It can only go up from here. If more explanation is needed, I'll be glad to shoot a PM.

Unlike the Wing-T GSU's option attack is much more complicated for the QB. There are several reads before the snap is ever taken. Often with the QB checking to a different play according to the line-up of the defense. Once the snap takes place the QB usually has to make 2-3 more reads. A missed read in our offense can make the difference in a 3 yard loss or a 25 yard gain.
BINGO! So many think it's a simple matter of handing the ball to someone and watching them run. The QB in the flexbone is a very difficult position to learn and run effectively.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 16th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Eric Rath from Lehigh has a decent chance. The emergence of pint size Marquese Thompson started to cut away at Rath's playing time the last 5 games of the season last year. If Rath got 75% of the carries this year i think he has a very good chance. However i think he and Thompson might play close to equal timing so i think two 800+ yard rushers is also very possible.

GannonFan
August 17th, 2005, 12:11 AM

That's still not any different than any other offense out there - the QB, I dare say, in any offense is making a bunch of reads prior to the snap - I'd argue that almost any offense is more complicated than the spread option in that while the spread option only has a handful of truly different plays, most other offenses have a wide range of plays with all the assorted reads that come along with it. I'm not knocking the spread option as I think it's very effective, I just think you're stretching into sketchy area when you say it's terribly complicated - compared to other offenses, it just isn't.

Green Cookie Monster
August 17th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Ryan Mole (So.), scatback in the tradition of great Sac State backs. Leader in Big Sky rushing as a freshman who started playing mid-season.

JMU2004
August 17th, 2005, 07:42 PM
JMU has 3 TBs who could go over 1000 if they get enough touches

Alvin Banks (1500 career yards)
Maurice Fenner( 1400 career yards)
Raymond Hines (1400 career yards, 1050 last year)

leatherneck177
August 17th, 2005, 08:55 PM
From WIU:

1,000+ Rushing: Travis Glasford
1,000+ Receiving: Reggie Gray

ngineer
August 17th, 2005, 09:23 PM
In addition to Rath, Winfred Porter and Gerran Walker each have the potential for 1000 yds at WR.

Pantherpower
August 17th, 2005, 09:28 PM
For the Panthers, I would say that Freeney will have over 1,000 (if he stays healthy) and Surrency (WR) should have over 1,000. Depending on how he is featured in the O, RB David Horne may crack 1,000.

pete4256
August 17th, 2005, 10:27 PM
That's still not any different than any other offense out there - the QB, I dare say, in any offense is making a bunch of reads prior to the snap - I'd argue that almost any offense is more complicated than the spread option in that while the spread option only has a handful of truly different plays, most other offenses have a wide range of plays with all the assorted reads that come along with it. I'm not knocking the spread option as I think it's very effective, I just think you're stretching into sketchy area when you say it's terribly complicated - compared to other offenses, it just isn't.

The most complicated thing is what happens on the fly, after the ball is snapped. The quarterback has to read the defenders (not just the defense) while moving down the line and while putting the ball into the fullback's gut. If you don't think that's difficult to do, watch a novice try it. It looks as though it's in slow motion. When the QB puts the ball in the FB's gut, he has a spit second to decide, based on what the DEs and others are doing, whether he wants to leave it there. Once he pulls it out, he has to get down the line and decide what to do with the ball again--pitch or keep.

If he makes a mistake with the fullback, it may be the difference between a zero yard gain and a big play. If he makes a mistake on the perimeter, it probably will be a turnover.

It's not too different, I guess, from making passing decisions, but you're doing it on the run, with 8 or 9 guys in the box.

That's pressure, and that's high risk when you run the triple option 60-70% of the time. It takes MANY reps to get the timing and the reads down.

youwouldno
August 18th, 2005, 12:06 AM
There is no way a team with multiple starting-caliber backs has a 1000+ yards rusher. JMU (Banks, Fenner, Hines) Furman (Gipson, Mays, Carter) and others with backfields like that aren't likely to have someone hit that mark.

eagleskins
August 18th, 2005, 01:49 AM
There is no way a team with multiple starting-caliber backs has a 1000+ yards rusher. JMU (Banks, Fenner, Hines) Furman (Gipson, Mays, Carter) and others with backfields like that aren't likely to have someone hit that mark.

Jermain Austin missed it by 12 yards and he missed 5 games.

GannonFan
August 18th, 2005, 09:24 AM
The most complicated thing is what happens on the fly, after the ball is snapped. The quarterback has to read the defenders (not just the defense) while moving down the line and while putting the ball into the fullback's gut. If you don't think that's difficult to do, watch a novice try it. It looks as though it's in slow motion. When the QB puts the ball in the FB's gut, he has a spit second to decide, based on what the DEs and others are doing, whether he wants to leave it there. Once he pulls it out, he has to get down the line and decide what to do with the ball again--pitch or keep.

If he makes a mistake with the fullback, it may be the difference between a zero yard gain and a big play. If he makes a mistake on the perimeter, it probably will be a turnover.

It's not too different, I guess, from making passing decisions, but you're doing it on the run, with 8 or 9 guys in the box.

That's pressure, and that's high risk when you run the triple option 60-70% of the time. It takes MANY reps to get the timing and the reads down.

I don't disagree with what you're saying there, but my point is that by running the same triple option set 70% of the time, the reads he makes are always the same reads (the defense may react differently or blocks may not be as successful, but the reads he has to make are essentially the same). My original contention (I think it was now) was that this is not the most complex offense to master - it's difficult from a physical standpoint in that you need the speed to be able to run it from the QB position, but from a mental standpoint it's much more limited in it's variations as compared to a typical offense (or a pass heavy offense). Those offenses have a lot more variances and nuances than a basic triple option set. I haven't run the offenses myself, although I have logged significant time on EA Sports NCAA football so I can speak from that expertise. :)

youwouldno
August 18th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Jermain Austin missed it by 12 yards and he missed 5 games.

Wait, did I mention GSU in my post?

GSU basically runs the ball every play and Austin is the primary back. Of course he'll rack up yards.

Eagle_77
August 18th, 2005, 12:56 PM
I don't disagree with what you're saying there, but my point is that by running the same triple option set 70% of the time, the reads he makes are always the same reads (the defense may react differently or blocks may not be as successful, but the reads he has to make are essentially the same). My original contention (I think it was now) was that this is not the most complex offense to master - it's difficult from a physical standpoint in that you need the speed to be able to run it from the QB position, but from a mental standpoint it's much more limited in it's variations as compared to a typical offense (or a pass heavy offense). Those offenses have a lot more variances and nuances than a basic triple option set. I haven't run the offenses myself, although I have logged significant time on EA Sports NCAA football so I can speak from that expertise. :)

I see what you are saying and understand what your argument but still some what disagree. So many believe that we run the same play over and over. Our offense is made to look that way for a reason. You think one thing is comming and you get another. Talk to a DC for a team that has played Georgia Southern and I believe they will agree. Yes we run the option about 85% of the time but not the same play. You may think that he makes the same read everytime but I promise you this is not the case. One option he is reading the DE and Middle LB and the next he is reading two differnt guys.

I do agree with you that the amount of reads that a QB for heavy passing team and the flexbone option QB are about the same. I disagree that the passing game is more complicated. A QB in a passing attack reads LB's and DB's and gets a chance to drop back to have time to find the open receiver. With the flexbone option the QB is making the same amount of reads in less than half the amount of time and at or beyond the line of scrimmage. A QB has time to scramble or throw the ball away on a missed block by a OL in a drop back pass situation. Let that same OL miss a block on an option play and see the QB get plastered EVERY time.

For the average option team in I-AA I believe your argument stands true because of the speed that they run it. With the quickness that GSU runs the option its a whole nuther ball game.

GannonFan
August 18th, 2005, 01:12 PM
I see what you are saying and understand what your argument but still some what disagree. So many believe that we run the same play over and over. Our offense is made to look that way for a reason. You think one thing is comming and you get another. Talk to a DC for a team that has played Georgia Southern and I believe they will agree. Yes we run the option about 85% of the time but not the same play. You may think that he makes the same read everytime but I promise you this is not the case. One option he is reading the DE and Middle LB and the next he is reading two differnt guys.

I do agree with you that the amount of reads that a QB for heavy passing team and the flexbone option QB are about the same. I disagree that the passing game is more complicated. A QB in a passing attack reads LB's and DB's and gets a chance to drop back to have time to find the open receiver. With the flexbone option the QB is making the same amount of reads in less than half the amount of time and at or beyond the line of scrimmage. A QB has time to scramble or throw the ball away on a missed block by a OL in a drop back pass situation. Let that same OL miss a block on an option play and see the QB get plastered EVERY time.

For the average option team in I-AA I believe your argument stands true because of the speed that they run it. With the quickness that GSU runs the option its a whole nuther ball game.

We're going to have to agree to disagree - I don't buy that GSU runs the option that much faster than how other options are run - that sounds a lot like the common GSU mantra you hear every now and then (from GSU people only) that they have the fastest football players in IAA by far - I've watched GSU teams for years and they're never that significantly faster than the opposition - I think you shortchange their discipline and skill by falling back on that. And as for the option offense itself, again I think it's more of a reaction type offense for the QB to run - he's making decisions based on learned instinct because you can - there just aren't that many variations and relying on physical prowess can sometimes be enough. I can't help but think that the dearth of former option QB's in the more passing orientated NFL isn't a coincidence. There are plenty of option QB's who had the arm strength to play in the NFL, but often I don't think they can handle the complexity of running that type of offense - I'm sure they don't feel the way you do about the luxury of dropping back and having time to find a receiver - the defensive line still rushes.

Like I said though, I won't convince you nor you me so we can leave it at that. Best of luck this year.

Eagle_77
August 18th, 2005, 02:41 PM
We're going to have to agree to disagree - I don't buy that GSU runs the option that much faster than how other options are run - that sounds a lot like the common GSU mantra you hear every now and then (from GSU people only) that they have the fastest football players in IAA by far - I've watched GSU teams for years and they're never that significantly faster than the opposition - I think you shortchange their discipline and skill by falling back on that. And as for the option offense itself, again I think it's more of a reaction type offense for the QB to run - he's making decisions based on learned instinct because you can - there just aren't that many variations and relying on physical prowess can sometimes be enough. I can't help but think that the dearth of former option QB's in the more passing orientated NFL isn't a coincidence. There are plenty of option QB's who had the arm strength to play in the NFL, but often I don't think they can handle the complexity of running that type of offense - I'm sure they don't feel the way you do about the luxury of dropping back and having time to find a receiver - the defensive line still rushes.

Like I said though, I won't convince you nor you me so we can leave it at that. Best of luck this year.

Agree to disagree.

Wow. If I am not mistaken you just called Option QB's dumber than most other qb's?

Andy how many guys Delaware have that run a 4.4 or below?

And believe me being an ex-GSU player I promise I dont short change anything that this program does, did, or will do.

GannonFan
August 18th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Agree to disagree.

Wow. If I am not mistaken you just called Option QB's dumber than most other qb's?

Not neccessarily, although it could be true. By playing in an option system they also lose 4-5 years that could be spent learning how to run a more balanced offense - puts them at a severe disadvantage when they get to the pros. I can't really think of an option QB who has made it to the next level as a QB - can you?

Andy how many guys Delaware have that run a 4.4 or below?

And believe me being an ex-GSU player I promise I dont short change anything that this program does, did, or will do.

I honestly don't know - a couple probably. But for one I certainly question college stats (how come guys always shrink when they get to the pros for instance?), and 40 speed is always a little suspect when it comes to speed on the field - a 4.4 guy who can't use it could be no quicker than a 4.6 guy who can.

Mr. C
August 18th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Why does that name sound familiar (other than from CU)? Hen fans, didn't we have a LaMonica in the 70's? Crypes my mind is like mush. :(
You probably are thinking of the Mad Bomber, Darryl Lamonica. Lamonica was the QB for the Oakland Raiders (and before that backed up Jack Kemp at Buffalo and played at Notre Dame) before Ken Stabler and set a bunch of AFL passing records. He took the Raiders to Super Bowl II. Ironically, as a youngster growing up in Fresno, Ca., Lamonica's aunt ran a hardware store/post office behind my house. He was from the next city, over, Clovis. She had a big, signed photo of Lamonica on the wall and I always thought that was really cool. The stadium at his high school is now named Darryl Lamonica Stadium.

Mr. C
August 19th, 2005, 12:02 AM
Wait, did I mention GSU in my post?

GSU basically runs the ball every play and Austin is the primary back. Of course he'll rack up yards.
Austin has averaged over six yards per carry for his career, not bad for a guy who primarily is running dive plays and getting hit on almost every play, even when he doesn't receive the ball. He is five yards short of 4,000 for his career (in just 35 games) and nearly gained 1,000 on only 156 carries last year. He only played 10 games last season and played little more than a half in seven or eight of those. Pretty impressive to say the least.

Mr. C
August 19th, 2005, 12:12 AM
There is a lot more to this offense than the untrained eye might see. I always amazed at how a minor adjustment that Paul Johnson would make (such as messing with the blocking schemes, or breaking the formation by moving a slotback) would suddenly cause the attack to go from unproductive to unstopable from the first to second halves. There is a lot going on in the spread option.