PDA

View Full Version : FCS Champion?

PSUVikings
June 11th, 2007, 09:28 AM
It's June.

Pick a team that you think will win the national title, try to be realisticxrotatehx

UMass

AppGuy04
June 11th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Montana

Appattk
June 11th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Montana

Tribe4SF
June 11th, 2007, 09:42 AM
UMass.

I have them behind App St. and Montana in my poll going in, but I just have a feeling this will be their year. Solid on both fronts, and a fine QB with a year more experience.

PSUVikings
June 11th, 2007, 09:57 AM
I think it is between UM, ASU, and UMass

is NDSU eligible for the title yet?

Gil Dobie
June 11th, 2007, 10:08 AM
App St

89Hen
June 11th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Montana

already123
June 11th, 2007, 10:59 AM
I like nau, of course, or UM/NDSU/and UNI as a long shot.
GO JACKS!!

bison95
June 11th, 2007, 11:13 AM
USDxbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xoopsx

dgreco
June 11th, 2007, 11:24 AM
UMass

already123
June 11th, 2007, 11:25 AM
we've got a joker... ^^^^

Appstate29
June 11th, 2007, 11:49 AM
wofford xeekx xeekx xbowx xbowx xbowx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
June 11th, 2007, 11:52 AM
In no particular order of likelihood to win it all:

App St - The Bandwagon pick - and a damn full bandwagon two years running! xrotatehx
Montana - The traditional pick ;)
UMass - The trendy pick xcoolx
NDSU - The protester pick xmadx
JMU - My homer pick :D
San Diego - DetroitFlyer's pick xlolx xsmiley_wix
UNI & Furman - The other purple picks xthumbsupx
Lehigh/Laffayete - The dreamer's pick xcoffeex
Harvard/Yale - The Ignorant FCS Fan's pick xoopsx
Indiana St. - The "Are you smoking crack?!" pick xnonono2x
UT-Martin - The "little engine that couldn't" pick xsmhx
UNH - The Walter Payton pick xrulesx
Cal Poly - The Buck Buchannon pick xrulesx
Delaware - The shameful pick :o

I could go on and on, but I think I've offended enough people on these boards to last me a week or two. xwhistlex

UNH 40
June 11th, 2007, 11:53 AM
UMass has lost way to many standouts to make the same run as they did last year. App. St. on the other hand still looks very formitable

Col Hogan
June 11th, 2007, 12:05 PM
I'm sitting here seeing way too many people picking UMass...Hope it's not like an SI jinx...

I would love to pick my school...but can't right now...too many ???? in my mind...

ASU is the easy pick...so is Montana...

AZGrizFan
June 11th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I like nau, of course, or UM/NDSU/and UNI as a long shot.
GO JACKS!!

xhomerx

He said FCS Champion, not FCS ChumpAgain :D :D :D

Ivytalk
June 11th, 2007, 12:08 PM
UMass. (xsmhx )

:p

SirApp
June 11th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Montana, UNI, or App St. I'm giving Montana the edge here, they scare me this year.

GannonFan
June 11th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Appy St or Montana - I think it's pretty easy this year, it doesn't go beyond those two.

CharlestonAppFan
June 11th, 2007, 12:33 PM
App State - returning leadership and experience
Montana - good athletes and experience as well
UMass - lost too many good pieces (RB)
UNI - great QB, not much of a sleeper but teams better beware

My pick: ASU for a 3 peat, playing Montana in the finals, just as Gannon said

Fresno St. Alum
June 11th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Montana. I hope someone else besides App St. makes it on the other end this year. Sorry App fans it only because you're so good that I hope you don't make it again

Mountaineer#96
June 11th, 2007, 12:48 PM
App State takes # 3 ........just way to much left on this team, and what has left will only reload.

gmoney55
June 11th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Wow that SME site sure is boisterous. No place for national information on FCS? How about Sports Network, College Sporting News, CSN Waves, etc.. And they call us Mid-Major? Thanks guys, way to show you're in touch.

andy7171
June 11th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Until someone knocks them off the mountain, I don't know how anyone can NOT pick ASU.

Cobblestone
June 11th, 2007, 01:04 PM
UNH vs. App State in FCS Championship game. App State repeats.

Relax guys, it's just a prediction and opinion. I'm sure you all know the old saying about opinions.

Maroon&White
June 11th, 2007, 01:10 PM
UMass - lost too many good pieces (P)

Fixed it for you.

AppGuy04
June 11th, 2007, 01:51 PM
UNH vs. App State in FCS Championship game. App State threepeats.

There, fixed it!xthumbsupx

windwalker
June 11th, 2007, 02:12 PM
In no particular order of likelihood to win it all:

App St - The Bandwagon pick - and a damn full bandwagon two years running! xrotatehx
Montana - The traditional pick ;)
UMass - The trendy pick xcoolx
NDSU - The protester pick xmadx
JMU - My homer pick :D
San Diego - DetroitFlyer's pick xlolx xsmiley_wix
UNI & Furman - The other purple picks xthumbsupx
Lehigh/Laffayete - The dreamer's pick xcoffeex
Harvard/Yale - The Ignorant FCS Fan's pick xoopsx
Indiana St. - The "Are you smoking crack?!" pick xnonono2x
UT-Martin - The "little engine that couldn't" pick xsmhx
UNH - The Walter Payton pick xrulesx
Cal Poly - The Buck Buchannon pick xrulesx
Delaware - The shameful pick :o

I could go on and on, but I think I've offended enough people on these boards to last me a week or two. xwhistlex

Could have listed

Savannah State - nobody's pick xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

Mountaineer#96
June 11th, 2007, 03:00 PM
thats really not all that funny.........NOT!

SoCon48
June 11th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Montana is looking very scary.

Mountaineer#96
June 11th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I wonder if Fort Lewis College for Women feels the same way.

89Hen
June 11th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Appy St or Montana - I think it's pretty easy this year, it doesn't go beyond those two.
xnodx
http://image.orientaltrading.com/otcimg/56_5501.jpg

already123
June 11th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Why all the Montana love? Anyone wanna throw some numbers at me real quick...??

AZGrizFan
June 11th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Surely you can't be serious. xeekx

Yes I am, and stop calling me Shirley. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

already123
June 11th, 2007, 03:32 PM
I am serious. Obviously Montana is a favorite every year, but this year there seems to be a bit more buzz than usual. I follow BSC play pretty closely but I havent noticed this years team being that much better than years past......thats why I was asking if someone wanted to help me out here

NE MT GRIZZ
June 11th, 2007, 03:33 PM

About 90% of the starters are back, the O-line will be better, defense is always great, and Lex should be healthy.

bobbythekidd
June 11th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Montana

srgrizizen
June 11th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I think ASU has earned the #1 ranking until proven otherwise. Their returning QB and RB looked awesome last year. Also, Chattanooga is practically a home game compared to travel from, say, Montana! The Griz have great potential. ASU has DONE it -- twice in a row.

already123
June 11th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Ah....a new poster. Welcome!

poly51
June 11th, 2007, 03:54 PM

Montana has a cupcake schedule and does not get a real test until the playoffs. Or maybe by Portland State or Montana State before that.

g-webb1994
June 11th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I don't see Appy pulling the 3-peat, but then again, who is going to knock them off in Boone before they get to Chatty? I only see SOCON opponents like Furman or Wofford being able to win in Boone in late November or early December.

PSUVikings
June 11th, 2007, 04:24 PM
I am serious. Obviously Montana is a favorite every year, but this year there seems to be a bit more buzz than usual. I follow BSC play pretty closely but I havent noticed this years team being that much better than years past......thats why I was asking if someone wanted to help me out here

You really don't pay attention to the Big Sky do you?

PaladinFan
June 11th, 2007, 04:57 PM
If ASU and Montana gain the top two seeds, they will meet in the finals.

If they hit the road, it will be a wide open race. If UM has to travel, they will most likey have a long trip east. ASU is somewhat mortal if you get them off their mountain.

I say Montana. App. State has a much tougher schedule than the Griz, having to pay a visit to Michigan and then facing hostile road games in The Citadel, Furman, and Wofford. If the Mounties make it through that firestorm, well, they will be the #1 seed and back in the NC picture.

Side by side, I think ASU still is the top team. They will, however, have to play a very physical road schedule and deal with the "target" that has been placed on their backs. They will get everyone's best shot.

GrizzlyEdd
June 11th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I agree with several other posters in that until someone knocks Appy St off the mountain top, they are my #1 pick. Do I think that the Griz have the potential to do that this year? Yes... a lot of awesome returning starters & letterman. If Lex Hilliard performs up to his usual and doesn't get injured, FCS defenses are going to have a tough time with the Griz offense. Line is huge, stronger, more mobile, and a lot more experienced. A somewhat new but veteran QB, has three years in this system and has improved dramatically each year, an awesome set of WR's, all starters with size and speed. And not to forget a stable of backup RB's behind Lex that could start for a lot of FCS teams...

Yes, the Griz could be scary this year but that is all conjecture on here by fans... good thing this will all be decided on the field on Sat's this fall by a large group of fine young men.... "Let's get ready to rumble!"

AZGrizFan
June 11th, 2007, 05:22 PM

About 90% of the starters are back, the O-line will be better, defense is always great, and Lex should be healthy.

Apparently the Pony Express hasn't gotten the mail to already12 yet....

Turn on the transistor radio, buddy....the Griz are 'da Bomb!

blueballs
June 11th, 2007, 05:23 PM

If they hit the road, it will be a wide open race. If UM has to travel, they will most likey have a long trip east. ASU is somewhat mortal if you get them off their mountain.

I say Montana. App. State has a much tougher schedule than the Griz, having to pay a visit to Michigan and then facing hostile road games in The Citadel, Furman, and Wofford. If the Mounties make it through that firestorm, well, they will be the #1 seed and back in the NC picture.

Side by side, I think ASU still is the top team. They will, however, have to play a very physical road schedule and deal with the "target" that has been placed on their backs. They will get everyone's best shot.

Good analysis.

Grizalltheway
June 11th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I wonder if Fort Lewis College for Women feels the same way.

Don't know, but App State Univeristy for the Deaf, Dumb and Blind will surely feel that way come December. xnodx

AZGrizFan
June 11th, 2007, 05:38 PM

Outside of Michigan, the insistence that ASU plays a tougher schedule is irksome. Montana has "hostile road games" @ MSU and NAU---neither will be a cupcake---and we already know MSU is/was better than Furman. And "The Citadel"???? Really?? I'd equate them to the Sacramento State of the Southern Conference---and the Griz face a "hostile road game" there as well. Granted, we don't have an Iowa or Oregon on our schedule this year, but once ASU gets done getting their a** handed to them on a platter by Big Blue, they'll be about as challenged as Montana will be the rest of the way.

Tod
June 11th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Outside of Michigan, the insistence that ASU plays a tougher schedule is irksome. Montana has "hostile road games" @ MSU and NAU---neither will be a cupcake---and we already know MSU is/was better than Furman. And "The Citadel"???? Really?? I'd equate them to the Sacramento State of the Southern Conference---and the Griz face a "hostile road game" there as well. Granted, we don't have an Iowa or Oregon on our schedule this year, but once ASU gets done getting their a** handed to them on a platter by Big Blue, they'll be about as challenged as Montana will be the rest of the way.

Rep points for ya!

These people who think the Big Sky is a bunch of cupcakes and Montana drive me nuts. xsmhx

Yeah, there are a couple of (probably) easy ones there, and our OOC is not very tough, but there will be enough good football played by the Griz opponents that we will not be somehow "shocked" when we get to the playoffs.

We'll end up 11-0 or 10-1, have the first three playoff games at home, and meet whoever in Chatty.

Bank on it!

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Col Hogan
June 11th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Rep points for ya!

These people who think the Big Sky is a bunch of cupcakes and Montana drive me nuts. xsmhx

Yeah, there are a couple of (probably) easy ones there, and our OOC is not very tough, but there will be enough good football played by the Griz opponents that we will not be somehow "shocked" when we get to the playoffs.

We'll end up 11-0 or 10-1, have the first three playoff games at home, and meet whoever in Chatty.

Bank on it!

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Then I'm missing something...

Montana will end up "11-0 or 10-1"...and "people who think the Big Sky is a bunch of cupcakes...drives me nuts"

If the Big Sky isn't a bunch of cupcakes, then why won't Montana come in 9-2 or 8-3...

11-0 does not indicate much competition.....xrolleyesx

AZGrizFan
June 11th, 2007, 06:11 PM
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Montana will end up "11-0 or 10-1"...and "people who think the Big Sky is a bunch of cupcakes...drives me nuts"

If the Big Sky isn't a bunch of cupcakes, then why won't Montana come in 9-2 or 8-3...

Why must "competition" = a loss?

Griz wins last year (in an 8-0 conference slate) included a 26-20 squeaker over PSU, 24-21 (AT HOME) against NAU, 33-30 against a highly underrated Weber team, and 13-7 (again, AT HOME) against MSU. Thus, Tod's point that these teams are not cupcakes. The Griz get tested each and every week (outside of UNC and Sac State).

You logic would imply that ASU wasn't tested last year either, and I would say that you might get some argument on that point from Wofford and GSU and James Madison. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

AppStateold299
June 11th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Like so many posters have pointed out...until AppState is knocked off the #1 spot it is theirs. I agree that Montana is always in the running for another NC, but App has proven through the last two years that they can handle the pressure. They are the leading team going into the season and until another champion is crowned we are #1!

Montanan
June 11th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Don't like guessing. It's a long hard road to December, and as we all know "Any Given Saturday"! I just hope that the 2 best teams make it to a sellout Chatty and the game sets a new standard for hard fought championship games! May the best team win!

GaSouthern
June 11th, 2007, 07:22 PM
App St. will not repeat, although I did pick FU for preseason champs last year it's extremely hard for me to pick a team this year, I think a surprise would be nice, someone that has not won before. We'll see thats for sure.

McNeese75
June 11th, 2007, 08:24 PM

xthumbsupx If they get home games throughout the playoffs, they will both be tough to beat. But it they have to travel, then all bets are off xnodx

JALMOND
June 11th, 2007, 08:41 PM

Two things, Flexy Lexy is back (healthy?), and a cream puff schedule that has the Griz pretty much untested until November. The Griz play (possibly) #2 Portland State at home, and go on the road to play #3 Montana State and #4 Northern Arizona. If they sweep those three, they should be undefeated and ready to take on all comers in the playoffs.

I would like our chances against the Griz in Portland this year instead of Missoula, but we have to play the game as scheduled.

Saint3333
June 11th, 2007, 08:54 PM

If I were a Montana fan I wouldn't get into a strength of schedule discussions with many teams. For fun let's just compare Montana to ASU toughest to weakest games compared. Note AGS rankings:

@ Michigan FBS top 5 - @ MSU (21) ASU
@ Furman (9) – PSU (14) ASU
@ Wofford (16) - @ NAU (36) ASU
NAU (36) - Albany (44) ASU
GSU (34) – Weber St. (4-7) ASU
@ Citadel (47) – EWU (3-8) ASU
UTC (3-8) – @ Sac St. (4-7) Montana
@ Elon (5-6) – @ Idaho St. (2-9) Draw
G-Webb (6-5)– Southern Utah (3-8) Draw
WCU (2-9) – N. Colorado (1-10) ASU
L-R – Fort Lewis (D2) Montana

ASU 7-2-2.

MSU WAS better than Furman in 2006, this is 2007.

james_lawfirm
June 11th, 2007, 09:01 PM
If I were a Montana fan I wouldn't get into a strength of schedule discussions with many teams. For fun let's just compare Montana to ASU toughest to weakest games compared. Note AGS rankings:

ASU 7-2-2.

Interesting post. But I must take issue with one game. Do you really think Western will be better than anybody this season? Just kidding.

appsfan
June 11th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Nice work Saint, but even with the "tough" schedule I expect Montana to challenge ASU for the title.

Seawolf97
June 11th, 2007, 09:13 PM
I will go with Montana/ UMass. A 3 peat for App State will be tough.

james_lawfirm
June 11th, 2007, 09:15 PM

AZGrizFan:
For the record, I don't believe Furman or Montana State will be as good in '07 as '06. I know nothing of Sacramento State, but it appears that you don't hold them in very high regard. The surprise in the SoCon this year will be Wofford (I had them at #6 in my poll). Then, there is The Citadel. They will be a solid football team this year.

And, if you have never watched a game against a military school, please let me share my observations. Bear with me. In most football games, it seems to me that the teams are measuring each other, trying to figure out which team is better. In most games, the game is essentially over when both teams agree that one team is better. Sometimes this happens in the first quarter, sometimes in the fourth, sometimes in between. Fans will know when it has happened because they'll notice all of the "hustle" has disappeared from the losing team. But, when you play against a military school (the SoCon used to have two - Citadel & VMI), they will play hard all four quarters. They can be down 72 - 0 in the fourth quarter and will not give up; in fact, the opponent is still apt to get hit hard in the 4th qtr. as in the 1st. And, this is regardless of talent level of the military school. There is something about a military school that makes for a tougher level of competitor.

Well, this year, it looks to be all coming together for The Citadel - a good Head Coach, who's been there a few years; and a lot a returning, experienced players. I think they should surprise a bunch of teams. And their strength of schedule is unbelievable.

Bottom line, ASU has a challenge just making it through the SoCon. Y'all blew it last year. I wanted so bad to play Montana in Chatty I could not stand it. We'll give you another chance this year.

PaladinFan
June 11th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Furman will be fine. They will pull in their typical 8-3, 9-2 season. If they stay healthy (something they failed at last year) they will be a force come playoff time.

Grizalltheway
June 11th, 2007, 09:40 PM
AZGrizFan:
For the record, I don't believe Furman or Montana State will be as good in '07 as '06. I know nothing of Sacramento State, but it appears that you don't hold them in very high regard. The surprise in the SoCon this year will be Wofford (I had them at #6 in my poll). Then, there is The Citadel. They will be a solid football team this year.

And, if you have never watched a game against a military school, please let me share my observations. Bear with me. In most football games, it seems to me that the teams are measuring each other, trying to figure out which team is better. In most games, the game is essentially over when both teams agree that one team is better. Sometimes this happens in the first quarter, sometimes in the fourth, sometimes in between. Fans will know when it has happened because they'll notice all of the "hustle" has disappeared from the losing team. But, when you play against a military school (the SoCon used to have two - Citadel & VMI), they will play hard all four quarters. They can be down 72 - 0 in the fourth quarter and will not give up; in fact, the opponent is still apt to get hit hard in the 4th qtr. as in the 1st. And, this is regardless of talent level of the military school. There is something about a military school that makes for a tougher level of competitor.

Well, this year, it looks to be all coming together for The Citadel - a good Head Coach, who's been there a few years; and a lot a returning, experienced players. I think they should surprise a bunch of teams. And their strength of schedule is unbelievable.

Bottom line, ASU has a challenge just making it through the SoCon. Y'all blew it last year. I wanted so bad to play Montana in Chatty I could not stand it. We'll give you another chance this year.

Gee thanks, I was worried we wouldn't get the go-ahead. xrolleyesx ;)

colgate13
June 11th, 2007, 09:46 PM
UNH.

My 'new' homer pick.

:)

LeopardFan04
June 11th, 2007, 09:56 PM
App. St.

SeattleGriz
June 11th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Montana.

Too much returning experience.

WyomingGrizFan
June 11th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Two to three deep at every offensive position, at least @ WR, TE and RBs, with a defense returning both safeties all-conference, at least two to three deep at every LB position. The DL the main question though with the CBs. Even on the road the Griz 'will' be 'very' hard to beat. Kismet.

VT Wildcat Fan53
June 11th, 2007, 10:43 PM
East Coast Bias pick here -- CAA will have 3 or maybe 4 teams in the field of 16. One of them will get to the finals. ASU is certainly the favorite, but don't forget -- a year ago at this time, UNH was all the rage.

Word to the wise -- watch out for a VERY motivated Santos and the reloaded Wildcats. D. Ball is gone, but overall WR group might just be better, RB trio is excellent, OLine is strong and I think there might just be a big pass catching surprise at TE. If the DLine can contribute, UMASS goes down and UNH gets to the finals -- and wins! xsmiley_wix Delaware and JMU will also be in the mix.... GO CAA xthumbsupx

already123
June 11th, 2007, 10:50 PM
xthumbsupx
Why must "competition" = a loss?

Griz wins last year (in an 8-0 conference slate) included a 26-20 squeaker over PSU, 24-21 (AT HOME) against NAU, 33-30 against a highly underrated Weber team, and 13-7 (again, AT HOME) against MSU. Thus, Tod's point that these teams are not cupcakes. The Griz get tested each and every week (outside of UNC and Sac State).

You logic would imply that ASU wasn't tested last year either, and I would say that you might get some argument on that point from Wofford and GSU and James Madison. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Very Very well put! rep point for you sir!

Grizalltheway
June 11th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Two to three deep at every offensive position, at least @ WR, TE and RBs, with a defense returning both safeties all-conference, at least two to three deep at every LB position. The DL the main question though with the CBs. Even on the road the Griz 'will' be 'very' hard to beat. Kismet.

Kismet? That's the street I grew up on. xeyebrowx

fencer24
June 11th, 2007, 11:07 PM
You have to give appropriate respect for ASU, that QB is awesome. But here is my question: During the course of the season, how many injuries at what position would be the critical factor? I know that the backup QB at ASU is a senior, and quite talented as well, but are there any "thin" positions at ASU?

Griz Fan
June 11th, 2007, 11:25 PM
montanya.............especially if we can evolve beyond our predictability on offense. Boy, i sure was impressed with UMass in our house, they were all but predictable on offense, and were able to beat one of the best defenses they faced all year.

Peems
June 12th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Drake!!!

AppStateold299
June 12th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Apparently it wasn't the best defense. That came against ASU! The 2 time defending champs. I think there are a lot of potential power houses, and we can speculate all day long and give our opinions. But as stated before we all know what they say about opinions...they are like a$$holes everyones got one.

My hopes are with the first ever 3 peat, but it is a long hard road ahead with way too many variables and unforseen obstacles to count it as a lock. Although, we are returning a lot of talent that has a lot of experience in big games.

TheCatamount
June 12th, 2007, 12:08 AM
I'm gonna have to say Montana

dbackjon
June 12th, 2007, 12:11 AM

ASU 7-2-2.

Interesting how NAU plays both schools, but you configured it so you put both games on different lines in ASU's favor xnonox I think we can call that one a draw....

You give GSU and El Cid far too much credit, and not enough to Weber or EWU.

Throw out the ASU money game, and I would rate it this way:

Furman - Montana State: Montana
Wofford - Portland State: Montana
NAU - NAU: Draw
GSU - Albany: Montana
El Cid - Weber St Montana
UTC - EWU: Montana
Elon - Idaho State Montana
G-Webb - Sac St Draw
WCU - SUU Draw
DII vs DII Draw

OK - Michigan - UNC ASU...

6-1-4 to Montana.

Tod
June 12th, 2007, 01:17 AM

Good point, but AZGrizFan answered for me. I did come across as if I was arguing against myself, there. :p :p

Saint3333
June 12th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Interesting how NAU plays both schools, but you configured it so you put both games on different lines in ASU's favor xnonox I think we can call that one a draw....

You give GSU and El Cid far too much credit, and not enough to Weber or EWU.

Throw out the ASU money game, and I would rate it this way:

Furman - Montana State: Montana
Wofford - Portland State: Montana
NAU - NAU: Draw
GSU - Albany: Montana
El Cid - Weber St Montana
UTC - EWU: Montana
Elon - Idaho State Montana
G-Webb - Sac St Draw
WCU - SUU Draw
DII vs DII Draw

OK - Michigan - UNC ASU...

6-1-4 to Montana.

Wow what a way to spin that.xeekx

I lined up ASU's toughest game to Montana's toughest game, NAU is ASU's 4th toughest game, while they are Montana's 3rd strongest opponent. Nice try tough... I love how Michigan is compared to UNC, lol.

BTW Furman and Wofford are ranked ahead of MSU and PSU in the preseason poll.xreadx

PaladinFan
June 12th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Furman and MSU are both good teams. I will bet you right now Furman ends up much higher in the rankings than MSU will. Furman and Wofford are both legit top 15 teams

MarkCCU
June 12th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Chowan

But if they don't get it then my money is on Montana

Go Bison
June 12th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I think it is between UM, ASU, and UMass

is NDSU eligible for the title yet?

NDSU is not eligible yet. xmadx 2008 can't come soon enough. I would have to go with either ASU or Youngstown State.

asu70
June 12th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Furman and MSU are both good teams. I will bet you right now Furman ends up much higher in the rankings than MSU will. Furman and Wofford are both legit top 15 teams

FU was hit big time by the injury bug most of last season and most certainly at the end of the year. Without the same problem this year, Furman is a top 5 team with talent and experience. IMHO, they will be a top contender for the NC with App, Montana, Umass, UNH, and UNI.

Grizo406
June 12th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Who ever it is, I hope the winner will be hangin' flag #3.

AZGrizFan
June 12th, 2007, 02:40 PM
AZGrizFan:

Maybe that's the way they play football in the SoCon, but not in the BSC. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xcoolx :D

GannonFan
June 12th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Who ever it is, I hope the winner will be hangin' flag #3.

Is it flag #1 (or #2 in ASU's case) now, with the new name for the classification and all??? xlolx xlolx

AZGrizFan
June 12th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Wow what a way to spin that.xeekx

I lined up ASU's toughest game to Montana's toughest game, NAU is ASU's 4th toughest game, while they are Montana's 3rd strongest opponent. Nice try tough... I love how Michigan is compared to UNC, lol.

BTW Furman and Wofford are ranked ahead of MSU and PSU in the preseason poll.xreadx

And when you're playing a Michigan and the Griz aren't there ain't no way for the Griz to win that argument....

How about you just rank the FCS opponents? xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

zilla
June 12th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Appalachian is my pick, even though it's difficult to "three-peat."

What about Youngstown? Did they lose a lot from '06?

already123
June 12th, 2007, 03:37 PM
UMass is a solid pick as well...

Zoo
June 12th, 2007, 04:35 PM
I can easily see Montana, App. St., and UMass easily play each other in the FCS Championship, but if I had to choose one, I'll choose the Minutemen.

already123
June 12th, 2007, 04:55 PM
http://lumberjacks.bigskyfans.com/

GaSouthern
June 12th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Da Griz xthumbsupx

GOKATS
June 12th, 2007, 05:37 PM
App. St. followed by UMass- if the griz prove they have a QB they should be in the hunt.

already123
June 12th, 2007, 09:51 PM
IF...

DaveK
June 13th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Northern Iowa

katstrapper
June 13th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Now that everyone has shown they believe it will be Appy St,Montana or UMASS, how about throwing some sleeper picks that could sneak up on some people...

lizrdgizrd
June 13th, 2007, 07:57 AM
My sleeper pick is Furman. Their injuries took them out of it last year but if they can stay healthy this year, they'll make it deep in the playoffs.

CID1990
June 13th, 2007, 08:01 AM
The FCS national champs will come from the SoCon. If not App, then Wofford.

Saint3333
June 13th, 2007, 08:02 AM
And when you're playing a Michigan and the Griz aren't there ain't no way for the Griz to win that argument....

How about you just rank the FCS opponents? xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

How about we just rank the bottom half of each of our schedules...

No, sorry I choose to look at the schedules as a whole as each game played affects the next and takes a toll on the players bodies. Montana's schedule is WEAK and you know it. I know you have tough games at NAU and MSU, but so does every other playoff contender from the Big Sky, SoCon, Gateway, CAA, and Southland.

We can spin the schedule all day, but Montana's OOC schedule is one of the worst of the preseason top 25 teams.

You guys are set up for 3 home games in the playoffs and have the easiest road to Nooga as of today.

james_lawfirm
June 13th, 2007, 10:22 AM

My picks exactly! Wofford will be this year's sleeper/surprise.

Col Hogan
June 13th, 2007, 11:13 AM

No, sorry I choose to look at the schedules as a whole as each game played affects the next and takes a toll on the players bodies. Montana's schedule is WEAK and you know it. I know you have tough games at NAU and MSU, but so does every other playoff contender from the Big Sky, SoCon, Gateway, CAA, and Southland.

We can spin the schedule all day, but Montana's OOC schedule is one of the worst of the preseason top 25 teams.

You guys are set up for 3 home games in the playoffs and have the easiest road to Nooga as of today.

"Oh, you guys are playing someone tough, and we're not...don't hold that against us....."

The WHOLE schedule.......xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

FCS Go!
June 13th, 2007, 11:21 AM

I'm having a hard time thinking of a season when this isn't true. Maybe this is off topic but Montana's OOC schedule is usually weak because we make too much money on home games to make traveling worthwhile financially. Anyone who thinks that it is because MT is scared to play good teams is fooling themselves. Money drives scheduling. Montana won't lose money to go play an OOC opponent. No one else's school would either. The whiners and mockers should ante up some big bucks and have their school pay MT $500k to come play (this goes for the Grizfan whiners as well- let's see some cash).

It is the same deal with the playoffs. Money drives home game selection for the non-seeded teams. Unless MT runs into a seeded team they are home for the playoffs because the selection committee awards home games on the basis of revenue and almost no other school can compete with MT for revenue. Unfair? You bet, but that's the way the system is set up. The NCAA won't lose money just to have a fair playoff. Where would they be after several years of that? No playoffs. Football and the NCAA is not a charitable institution.

Oh yeah, this is a prediction thread: Montana and New Hampshire in Chatty.

BULLDOG8180
June 13th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Personally, I'm not that impressed with Wofford.

AZGrizFan
June 13th, 2007, 12:06 PM

Ok, Homer, but the ONLY thing that makes ASU's schedule tougher is Michigan...and the ONLY reason you can play Michigan is because you get one more OOC game.

DII - DII
Gardner-Webb - Southern Utah
NAU - Albany

Outside of Michigan, your OOC schedule ain't nothing to write home about (based solely on the East Coast opinion of NAU). So, the way I see it, you're pretty much set up for 3 home games in the playoffs as well....doesn't sound like such a bad thing, does it? xrolleyesx

Go...gate
June 13th, 2007, 12:19 PM
You want a sleeper - how about Lehigh or Delaware? They get no love at all and it looks like they both will have capable teams.

TheValleyRaider
June 13th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Appalachian State and Montana are, and should be, the favorites going into the season.

If you want sleepers, I'll throw out UNI, Furman, and UNH, whose names have already been mentioned here.

MR. CHICKEN
June 13th, 2007, 01:18 PM
You want a sleeper - how about Lehigh or Delaware? They get no love at all and it looks like they both will have capable teams.

THANKY FO' DUH LOVE GATE LAD......HOWEVERAH.....OUR "D"....EVEN IF IMPROVED DRASTICALLY........WOULD NOT BE CHAMPIONSHIP CALIBER........PLAYOFFS MIGHT HAPPEN.....BUT 'NOOGA IS NOT IN MAH CRYSTAL BALL.......HENCE FORFF.........MOUSEKETEERS/GRISSWOLDS......WILL MEET FO' DUH BLING........IFIN' DUH GRIZ QB CAN PULL DUH TRIGGER....MAYBE.......APPALACHIAN WHIFF ARMANTI.....AN' UH HOST O' LADS...WHO'VE EXPERIENCED DUH BIG DANCE.......3/PEAT POSSIBLE......IFIN' DESE TWO TITANS MEET.....WHOA NELLY!............IFIN' UMA$$ IS IN DUH HUNT......DERE PLAYIN' DUH SEMI....ON DUH ROAD................MAH CHOICE O' UNDERDAWG.......WOFFORD.......DUH WHITTLE TERRIERS DAT COULD....DEY WERE MAH FAVORITE PLAYOFF TEAM........DELAWARE PLAYED IN 2003...........................xoopsx...DOODLE-DOO-DOO!

EmeryZach
June 13th, 2007, 03:35 PM
I'm glad people stopped picking UMass, cause it's not happening this year.

I'll take Montana, just cause I don't want App State to win again.

By the way, when are App State and Montana moving to FBS xlolx ?

DuckDuckGriz
June 13th, 2007, 03:57 PM

Why not? What is the situation for UMass this year anyway? I think Baylark is gone, right? If not is the O-Line staying because I think I could even run behind that line.

Grizalltheway
June 13th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Yeah, UMass lost Baylark and that loud-mouthed receiver of theirs.

umassfan
June 14th, 2007, 01:06 AM

Mark it down... we will be better on offese this year then last. Our defense will be on par with last season also. Will we make it as far in the playoffs?... that is why they play the games. Luck does play a role in the playoffs.

umassfan
June 14th, 2007, 01:08 AM

Our biggest loss will be our punter. He will be the hardest to replace. I feel we have the D and O players to step in just as good as what we had last season.

umassfan
June 14th, 2007, 01:10 AM
If I were to pick a non UMass school Id pick Montana to win it all. They will be loaded this year and will go as far as their new QB takes them... and their new QB cant play any worse then their past.

already123
June 14th, 2007, 01:35 AM
If I were to pick a non UMass school Id pick Montana to win it all. They will be loaded this year and will go as far as their new QB takes them... and their new QB cant play any worse then their past.

Good point

T-Dog
June 14th, 2007, 03:13 AM

People were saying that last year.

Personally, it's going to be really tough for App, but I feel just like we did last year and the pieces will come in. We'l be like the Rolling Stones tour. Everyone will come out to see us and we'll be the focus of everyone's best efforts.

History shows we'll have at least one conference road game in which it'll come down to the wire. We survived ours last year and I hope it can happen again. Me thinks it comes at Wofford and possibly at Furman cause they were awfully sore about the second half last year. xthumbsupx

If we get homefield for the playoffs, we're more a sure bet to get to the finals than anyone, including Montana. It'd take a Herculean effort for someone to knock us off at home.

Barring getting in any SoCon road traps that would send us on the road in the playoffs, I'd say we look rather good for a return trip to Nooga and I must say we perform quite well there recently (2 NC's and a 56-21 whipping of UTC on their Homecoming)

And I'd love to see Montana go 9-2 or 8-3 just so they'd have to come to THE ROCK in the playoffs. Payback from 2000. :D

AmsterBison
June 14th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Gotta go with App State until somebody cools them off because right now they are ___, ___, ___!

I'm going with Penguins as my sleeper pick.

EmeryZach
June 14th, 2007, 01:34 PM
UMass lost a lot on defense too. It's gonna be tough replacing the older Hatchell and James Ihedigbo. And I don't think people understand how important Baylark was at RB. The threat of him running made it a lot easier on Coen to pass the ball. It's gonna take a lot this year to even get back to the championship game, let alone win it.

EmeryZach
June 14th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Gotta go with App State until somebody cools them off because right now they are ___, ___, ___!

I'm going with Penguins as my sleeper pick.

Even when the weather is cold, they are hot, hot, hot! xlolx

Appaholic
June 14th, 2007, 02:20 PM

Loud-mouthed receiver....hmmm....probably transfered to Montana St.

Original question.....App St....although it will be tough as hell to 3-peat.....at Furman, at Wofford, at Citadel.....hopefully we can march through SC like Sherman...

CrazyCat
June 14th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Loud-mouthed receiver....hmmm....probably transfered to Montana St.

Original question.....App St....although it will be tough as hell to 3-peat.....at Furman, at Wofford, at Citadel.....hopefully we can march through SC like Sherman...

Is he any good? We could use another WR. xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
June 14th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Is he any good? We could use another WR. xthumbsupx

Maybe he can play cornerback. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

GtFllsGriz
June 14th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I have a hard time picking anybody but Appy. That was one fine team last year. Although some will disagree with me I do not think that we would have changed who's name is on the trophy if we would have been in the NC game.

I know that we will be loaded this year but Appy has proven themselves and we have dropped the ball at times when I felt we should have had more success.

I understand that Appy lost some quality players but they should still be very powerful. Of course it takes a lot of luck to get there even with a ton of talent.

Umass74
June 14th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Is he any good? We could use another WR.

Sorry, former UMass WR Brandon London is now employed by the NY Football Giants. :)

Maroon&White
June 14th, 2007, 03:16 PM
UMass lost a lot on defense too. It's gonna be tough replacing the older Hatchell and James Ihedigbo. And I don't think people understand how important Baylark was at RB. The threat of him running made it a lot easier on Coen to pass the ball. It's gonna take a lot this year to even get back to the championship game, let alone win it.

I don't think people understand how important Koegel was. Baylark, Ihedigbo and Hatchell can all be replaced by kids already there. Logan is a terrible punter and if the transfer Arnold isn't decent the punting game will be in huge trouble. That would of course affect the entire team and games.

SeattleGriz
June 14th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I don't think people understand how important Koegel was. Baylark, Ihedigbo and Hatchell can all be replaced by kids already there. Logan is a terrible punter and if the transfer Arnold isn't decent the punting game will be in huge trouble. That would of course affect the entire team and games.

No kidding! I rewatched the UMass vs Montana game the other day and relived shaking my head at how he pinned Montana deep so many times in that game.

swaghook
June 14th, 2007, 06:07 PM
UC-Davis is my sleeper.

already123
June 14th, 2007, 08:25 PM
coma.....u mean

EmeryZach
June 15th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Yeah Koegel was amazing. I can't believe no NFL teams have invited him to camp yet. Maybe he is trying to further his modeling career.

PantherRob82
June 15th, 2007, 06:21 PM
App St Montana UNI UMass

In that order if I were making odds.

GreatAppSt
November 17th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Time to remind everyone of their 6 month predictions.xnodx xreadx

alexale23
November 17th, 2007, 09:59 PM
JMU OF COURSE