PDA

View Full Version : JMU Facilities

MDFAN
June 11th, 2007, 09:08 AM
My son was at a camp at JMU this weekend. JMU is a beautiful campus with great football facilities. How's the tailgating?

mcveyrl
June 11th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the compliment. I enjoy the tailgating, but admittedly don't get down to the Godwin field stuff (where all the tents are). I mainly tailgate at convo with friends.

bandl
June 11th, 2007, 09:20 AM
My son was at a camp at JMU this weekend. JMU is a beautiful campus with great football facilities. How's the tailgating?

Tailgating is great, especially within the past couple years (i.e., since the National Championship season). There is plenty to do, see, drink and eat. Obviously, premium parking lot passes are harder to come by. And it’s much more crowded than in the past with every game selling out well in advance now. Stay away from the ‘All-Student’ sections if you’re not from JMU, as they have generally leaned towards the more obnoxious side, which is a shame because the student body of JMU is usually so laid back and easy going. xthumbsupx

Also, be careful who you ask about JMU on AGS! There are some folks (from that tiny little state on the east coast that’s known for their screen door factories and cold-water beaches) who will tell you that the 3 minute walk up a 5 degree slope from the tunnel to the convo parking lot is enough to ruin anyone’s day! ;)

JMU2004
June 11th, 2007, 09:44 AM
tailgating is growing. Ralph has a great photo journal up from the JMU homecoming game last year

http://www.i-aa.org/stats/2006/roadralph/WM@JMU/index.htm

PapaBear
June 11th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Tailgating is great, especially within the past couple years (i.e., since the National Championship season). There is plenty to do, see, drink and eat. Obviously, premium parking lot passes are harder to come by. And it’s much more crowded than in the past with every game selling out well in advance now. Stay away from the ‘All-Student’ sections if you’re not from JMU, as they have generally leaned towards the more obnoxious side, which is a shame because the student body of JMU is usually so laid back and easy going. xthumbsupx

Also, be careful who you ask about JMU on AGS! There are some folks (from that tiny little state on the east coast that’s known for their screen door factories and cold-water beaches) who will tell you that the 3 minute walk up a 5 degree slope from the tunnel to the convo parking lot is enough to ruin anyone’s day! ;)

From a Visiting Team's POV ... I can tell you that tailgating at JMU is a real nice experience. We parked and just spread out right where we were -- with both UMaine and JMU fans all around us. Very flexible arrangement. No smacktalk.

You definitely want to avoid the All Student sections in the stands, tho. I'm as fanatic as the next guy about my team. But I hate to see kids spewing personal and profane insults at individual players, and the JMU students were as bad as I've seen, yet, in that regard. Too bad, because the rest of the campus and facility are truly first rate.

mcveyrl
June 11th, 2007, 09:50 AM

So...is he considering the Dukes??? xeyebrowx

Tribe4SF
June 11th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Tailgating at JMU is extensive. We always park in the lots by the baseball field, and have a great time with JMU fans. Don't leave your stuff out though if you're with the visiting team. We had things taken during the game last Fall. Student behavior at JMU has gotten over the edge with alot of aggressive, drunken foolishness, but the atmosphere on the whole is fun.

andy7171
June 11th, 2007, 09:54 AM
So...is he considering the Dukes??? xeyebrowx
Intersting to see where tailgating ranks on choosing a school. xeyebrowx

mcveyrl
June 11th, 2007, 09:56 AM

From a dad's point of view, it would be a factor...xlolx xlolx

Tribe4SF
June 11th, 2007, 10:01 AM
tailgating is growing. Ralph has a great photo journal up from the JMU homecoming game last year

http://www.i-aa.org/stats/2006/roadralph/WM@JMU/index.htm

I was with Ralph for part of that tour, and he was truly impressed with the scene. He's a major league moocher, by the way. Stroked the ego of each chef we came to, and ate like a king that day. They consistently ignored me in my Tribe gear.xsmiley_wix

MDFAN
June 11th, 2007, 10:17 AM

Given the academics at JMU along with the other schools that we have been to, the football facilities at JMU and the others.....Tailgating is MUCH higher on my list than my sons!!!!

89Hen
June 11th, 2007, 10:20 AM
JMU has very good tailgaiting IMO, always enjoy going to game there. xthumbsupx

JMU2004
June 11th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Tailgating at JMU is extensive. We always park in the lots by the baseball field, and have a great time with JMU fans. Don't leave your stuff out though if you're with the visiting team. We had things taken during the game last Fall. Student behavior at JMU has gotten over the edge with alot of aggressive, drunken foolishness, but the atmosphere on the whole is fun.

The visitor section has been moved, so there is a buffer zone b/t visitors and students. Long overdue in my opinion!

henfan
June 11th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Agree 100% with Papa Bear's comments. JMU's a first class university. The folks tailgating at JMU are about as nice as you'll find anywhere. Lovely scenery all around the campus. Student behavior inside the stadium is about as bad as it gets, unfortunately. To their credit, JMU is doing some things to clean that up.xthumbsupx

th0m
June 11th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Yes there have been a couple of articles about it in The Breeze, the studentpaper, although I don't know how much that will affect behavior. Good to know flags have been raised though. As JMU2004 pointed out, the student section won't be directly next to the visiting fans anymore, there'll be a buffer of what is expected to be the younger alums who don't want to sit on the other, more calm, side. A good deal all around I think.

bluehenbillk
June 11th, 2007, 12:10 PM
I've always been impressed with JMU, it's my favorite CAA roadtrip & they've been making strides in the past few years.