PDA

View Full Version : Alabama QB Jimmy Barnes leaving

PSUVikings
June 10th, 2007, 02:12 PM
http://www.tidesports.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070610/NEWS/70610003/1011

Talk around the WSU boards is he is going to Weber State.

McTailGator
June 10th, 2007, 02:48 PM
http://www.tidesports.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070610/NEWS/70610003/1011

[email protected]

Everyone needs to write this guy and tell him there is no such classification as I-AA.

laxVik
June 10th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Oh geez. It will forever be called that by some. It's like all of a sudden changing "Coke" to "Cola drink #1" and expecting everyone to follow suit. Who cares in the end (even though it was a dumb move to begin with)?

PSUVikings
June 10th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Oh geez. It will forever be called that by some. It's like all of a sudden changing "Coke" to "Cola drink #1" and expecting everyone to follow suit. Who cares in the end (even though it was a dumb move to begin with)?

Very true, the NCAA made that term the only one so us FCS fans don't feel as if the FBS level is superior to us, even though it isxrolleyesx

Back on topic, This guy would be at WSU for 3 years, dang. If only they had a full lineup

catbob
June 10th, 2007, 03:07 PM
They made the change because of the basketball stigma. People would call Southern Illinois a IAA basketball school. They sure as hell won't call it a FCS basketball school.

Change won't happen instantly people, but eventually everyone will know the name and use it. It may take a decade or two for it to wear off completely, but it will. We are doing this for future generations. ;)

already123
June 10th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Whats the story on this guy...stats?is he any good?

Where are the Weber rumors coming from?

laxVik
June 10th, 2007, 03:11 PM
They made the change because of the basketball stigma. People would call Southern Illinois a IAA basketball school. They sure as hell won't call it a FCS basketball school.

Change won't happen instantly people, but eventually everyone will know the name and use it. It may take a decade or two for it to wear off completely, but it will. We are doing this for future generations. ;)I don't think they need any more of our help given the state of things. xthumbsupx

Anyhoo...why Weber State? There's a connection I assume?

PSUVikings
June 10th, 2007, 03:11 PM

Where are the Weber ors coming from?

coming from their board, the guy went to Alabama he must be good.

already123
June 10th, 2007, 06:36 PM
coming from their board, the guy went to Alabama he must be good.

doesn't give him a right of passage just b/c of the school he is coming from. I mean, there is a reason why he is leaving and wasn't playing in the first place...

aggie6thman
June 10th, 2007, 07:02 PM
doesn't give him a right of passage just b/c of the school he is coming from. I mean, there is a reason why he is leaving and wasn't playing in the first place...

Yeah, like a talented QB ahead of you on the depth charts. But what is the connection to Weber State? He is from Southern California, so no idea why he would head to Odgen.

PSUVikings
June 10th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Yeah, like a talented QB ahead of you on the depth charts. But what is the connection to Weber State? He is from Southern California, so no idea why he would head to Odgen.

Who knows, religion? easy start? Likes purple?

slostang
June 10th, 2007, 09:51 PM

Where are the Weber rumors coming from?

He is 6'5" 239 an played in the US Army All-American Bowl for top high school players where he was 7-13 for 117 yards and a TD and helped lead the West to a 35-3 win. He threw for 2,615 yards with 37 TDs with only 10 INTs his senior year in high school. His juniour year he threw for 2,446 yards and 20 TDs to lead Los Alamitos High School to a top ten national ranking.

He will be a sophomore in 2007 and looks like he will be a "big" plus to what ever FCS team he ends up on.

SOCAL
June 11th, 2007, 01:10 AM

Barnes is big and slow with a good arm---He played for his Dad at Los Alamitos HS in Southern California--He did play in the US Army Bowl--was picked because his Dad was the Coach that year for the game

By and large he is overrated ---my high school smoked him his senior year 55-21

only reason he played QB was that his Dad provided the opportunity as his HS coach-----no one could ever understand why Alabama wanted him

slostang
June 11th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Barnes is big and slow with a good arm---He played for his Dad at Los Alamitos HS in Southern California--He did play in the US Army Bowl--was picked because his Dad was the Coach that year for the game

only reason he played QB was that his Dad provided the opportunity as his HS coach-----no one could ever understand why Alabama wanted him

Arizona State and Colorado State offered him a scholarship too and Rivals.com had him rated as the 13 ranked Pro-Style QB coming out of high school.

already123
June 11th, 2007, 01:41 AM

More connections I suspect...

Who else offered him out of HS? Alabama is a looooong way from Cali...

PSUVikings
June 11th, 2007, 10:08 AM

By and large he is ove ---my high school smoked him his senior year 55-21

I'm sure he will succeed at whatever FCS school he goes to, we aren't the FBS its easier to play at our level.

So the WSU fans actually say he took a visit to WSU, interesting.

Pauly LB
June 11th, 2007, 10:20 AM
At the time Barnes was not considered even the best quarterback on his team but he was going to play no matter what happened. He was surrounded by a lot of good players and the offense that his dad put together for him allowed to put up some good numbers. The team did well and Jimmy ended up with a scholarship. At Alabama dad is not around any more and I bet that they found out that Jimmy was not as good as his hype.

In fact another Orange County California quarterback tranferred over to FCS. Brian White moved from Colorado to Portland State. Sometimes that D1 scholarship offer is not right for every player. Evidently it was not right for both Barnes and White...

JaxSinfonian
June 11th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I mean, there is a reason why he is leaving ...

There's a new coach at UAT, of course. Looks like this guy either saw the handwriting on the wall or had it spelled out for him.

Too bad he (apparently) doesn't want to stay in the state. Jax State could use another arm.

already123
June 11th, 2007, 10:58 AM
eh...

I'm just tired of FBS-transfer hype. Most of the time they end up just blending in at the FCS level as a "good" player.

Oh yea, another pet peeve....I can not stand players getting preseason all-conf votes when they havent even played a down! WOW
(Does Matt Gutierrez sound fam. ?!)

or however u spell it...2-9 is all I have to say

Mustang Man
June 12th, 2007, 01:11 AM
eh...
Oh yea, another pet peeve....I can not stand players getting preseason all-conf votes when they havent even played a down! WOW
(Does Matt Gutierrez sound fam. ?!)

or however u spell it...2-9 is all I have to say

You mean Matt Gutierrez of the New England Patriots?

already123
June 12th, 2007, 02:10 PM
You mean Matt Gutierrez of the New England Patriots?

Yea, the guy who got there just off of his name...
He sure didnt prove anything in the Big Sky...

His best game(numbers wise), which wasnt even that impressive in my eyes, was against NAU....every QB had their best game agsint NAU xeyebrowx

BigApp
June 12th, 2007, 02:21 PM

I can't figure you out, lv. One time, you make intelligent, sensible statements like this, then next moment you're complaining about how San Diego 'deserved' to be in the playoffs last year.

Are you bi-polar? :D xlolx :D xcoolx :D

laxVik
June 12th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Oh geez. They were undefeated, no? I suppose if Louisiana Monroe did the same you could of course use your logic and say they not worthy given the level of play compared to the USC's and Miami's. Undefeated is undefeated in my book. The kids do what they're asked to and chumps like you think otherwise and say nope...no soup for you. Puh-leeze.

BigApp
June 12th, 2007, 03:36 PM
they were not undefeated.

already123
June 12th, 2007, 04:57 PM
http://lumberjacks.bigskyfans.com/

PaladinFan
June 12th, 2007, 05:16 PM
If the guy was signed to play football at Alabama, he's legit.

PSUVikings
June 17th, 2007, 05:13 PM
It's official, Barnes is headed to WSU.

slostang
June 17th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Do you have a link?

CopperCat
June 17th, 2007, 06:20 PM

Following that logic, why did Norton leave Fresno?xeyebrowx

youwouldno
June 18th, 2007, 01:07 AM
I thought Weber would be pretty decent before... with Barnes they have more upside for sure.

already123
June 18th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I have def gotta see this guy play before I make any decisions about him....I'm not exactly on the "FBS Transfer Band-wagon"...esp at QB. Out of all the QB's that have transfered down in the BSC Ochs was the last one to actually do something worth 'writing home about'. Good luck to WSU tho

already123
June 18th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Following that logic, why did Norton leave Fresno?xeyebrowx

Played well from what I heard but was gettin screwed because the FS coaches opted for a 'taller' QB to face the program. Both were soph or juniors so there was no other way than to leave I think. Its too bad, he fell into the same boat here at NAU :(

SunCoastBlueHen
June 18th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I have def gotta see this guy play before I make any decisions about him....I'm not exactly on the "FBS Transfer Band-wagon"...esp at QB. Out of all the QB's that have transfered down in the BSC Ochs was the last one to actually do something worth 'writing home about'. Good luck to WSU tho

JMU's Rascatti was a transfer and won the 2004 National Championship. Andy Hall (Georgia Tech transfer) of Delaware won the NC the year before. This year's UD QB, Joe Flacco (Pitt transfer), was very good last year and could be outstanding this year. I'm sure there are others (I just mentioned a couple from the CAA off the top of my head) - the right BCS QB transfer can have good success with a FCS team. Sure there are plenty of flops, but there are more success stories than you seem to indicate.

slostang
June 18th, 2007, 07:45 PM
JMU's Rascatti was a transfer and won the 2004 National Championship. Andy Hall (Georgia Tech transfer) of Delaware won the NC the year before. This year's UD QB, Joe Flacco (Pitt transfer), was very good last year and could be outstanding this year. I'm sure there are others (I just mentioned a couple from the CAA off the top of my head) - the right BCS QB transfer can have good success with a FCS team. Sure there are plenty of flops, but there are more success stories than you seem to indicate.

Ingle Martin at Furman also was a I-A/FBS transfer (Florida) that had great sucess in I-AA/FCS.

already123
June 19th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Guys....I was simply talking about the BSC. Calm downxeyebrowx

PSUVikings
June 19th, 2007, 03:23 PM
There are some FBS transfers that were nobodys and aren't that good, but there are players like Rhett Bomar who should make every other QB in the FCS look silly.

Tod
June 19th, 2007, 03:31 PM
There are some FBS transfers that were nobodys and aren't that good, but there are players like Rhett Bomar who should make every other QB in the FCS look silly.

I don't know that I'd go that far. No other FBS transfer has ever come close to doing that. xeyebrowx

PSUVikings
June 19th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I don't know that I'd go that far. No other FBS transfer has ever come close to doing that. xeyebrowx

When was the last time the #1 QB in a class dropped down to the FCS?

already123
June 19th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Why is everyone so excited about Rhett Bomar. A good player, yes no doubt, but I'm pretty sure he struggled at OU! Lets see him in action before we give he Payton, eh?xcoffeex

AZGrizFan
June 19th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Yea, the guy who got there just off of his name...
He sure didnt prove anything in the Big Sky...

His best game(numbers wise), which wasnt even that impressive in my eyes, was against NAU....every QB had their best game agsint NAU xeyebrowx

What? And that "vaunted" defense????? xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

already123
June 19th, 2007, 05:54 PM
exactly!

PSUVikings
June 19th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Why is everyone so excited about Rhett Bomar. A good player, yes no doubt, but I'm pretty sure he struggled at OU! Lets see him in action before we give he Payton, eh?xcoffeex

Do you have any clue who the guy is?

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=570704

If this guy can survive a season at Oklahoma he can sure make it at this level.

CopperCat
June 19th, 2007, 09:31 PM

That's rather ironic considering how much you have talked up Norton.xrolleyesx

already123
June 21st, 2007, 11:47 AM
That's rather ironic considering how much you have talked up Norton.xrolleyesx

Very true. However I never did. That also kinda pissed me off about our fans. Neither Norton or Bomar should be talked up until they actually do something IMO. Sorry guys, I'm just not sold on him...yet. Hell, I wasnt even a fan of him when he was at OU (or mayb thats because I'm a Longhorn fan...?)