PDA

View Full Version : Rate your stadium

PantherRob82
June 9th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I'd give the UNI-Dome a B. Pretty good sized, but it's very sterile. The noise level the roof helps produce is awesome, but I wish we had an open roof. Field turf would be nice as well.

813Jag
June 9th, 2007, 04:05 PM
I give Mumford a C+. The pressbox and scoreboard are recent additons, I don't mind the track around the field. The only negative is a poor view from the corners of the stadium. Whenever they build the fieldhouse, I'll give Mumford an A.

dgreco
June 9th, 2007, 04:06 PM
What do you think is the best FCS stadium in the country?

roadwarrior
June 9th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I give the Fargodome an A+. The seating is right up to the field and fairly steep, so good views from anywhere. The only drawback is being indoors, but if you have been in Fargo late in the season you would understand.

DFW HOYA
June 9th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Hmmm..... F?

Still, it has to rate higher than Kehoe Field, of course. xeyebrowx

PantherRob82
June 9th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I give Mumford a C+. The pressbox and scoreboard are recent additons, I don't mind the track around the field. The only negative is a poor view from the corners of the stadium. Whenever they build the fieldhouse, I'll give Mumford an A.

an A with a track? xconfusedx ;)

PantherRob82
June 9th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Hmmm..... F?

Still, it has to rate higher than Kehoe Field, of course. xeyebrowx

xlolx xlolx xlolx

poly51
June 9th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Cal Poly's Spanos Mustang Stadium.

I would give the West side which is new an A+.
The East side built in the 1930s I give a C-. It is old but pretty well maintained and is very close to the field. That averages a B until it is completed.

aggie6thman
June 9th, 2007, 04:40 PM
All around A-. Brand new yet to be played in, but we don't have lights. Would be nice to have those, but still a gem.

patssle
June 9th, 2007, 04:44 PM
C. Needs new chairbacks, new fencing, press box, and cleaning.

slostang
June 9th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Cal Poly's Spanos Mustang Stadium.

I would give the West side which is new an A+.
The East side built in the 1930s I give a C-. It is old but pretty well maintained and is very close to the field. That averages a B until it is completed.

I would agree. I hope they start the East side soon.

PantherRob82
June 9th, 2007, 04:49 PM

Wash-grizxbowx

OB55
June 9th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Wha......the... Haven't you SEEN the picture of Washington-Grizz? xconfusedxxconfusedx

And it's being added on to as we write!! xnodxxnodx

I heard that the Seattle Seahawks are even thinking of moving there. :pxrolleyesxxcoolx

NoSpinZone
June 9th, 2007, 04:53 PM

Princeton

PantherRob82
June 9th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Wha......the... Haven't you SEEN the picture of Washington-Grizz? xconfusedxxconfusedx

And it's being added on to as we write!! xnodxxnodx

I heard that the Seattle Seahawks are even thinking of moving there. :pxrolleyesxxcoolx

Don't joke until you've been there. GREAT place!

OB55
June 9th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Don't joke until you've been there. GREAT place!

Been there, great place, not joking.

NSUDemon98
June 9th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I'd give the UNI-Dome a B. Pretty good sized, but it's very sterile. The noise level the roof helps produce is awesome, but I wish we had an open roof. Field turf would be nice as well.

I give Turpin Stadium a C. It isn't THAT old but it looks every bit of a HARD 35 years old. A couple million in renovations(bathrooms, facade, concession stands, yard work) would make it a A.

eagle1
June 9th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Eastern Washington's Woodward Field = D

We need to finnish the renovation project that began like 5 years ago. We are needing the visitors stands replaced as well as field turf and a video board. I would love it if they would remove the track but I am sure that won't happen. Go Eagles!!!

ngineer
June 9th, 2007, 05:11 PM

Princeton. I've seen pics of Wash-Griz, but the sight lines at Princeton, closeness to the field, excellent concessions and rest rooms, plenty of parking, nice field, holds about 27,000. #1 in my book.A+

Our own Goodman is an A. Has the best game-day atmosphere in the PL. Great tailgating areas, excellent rest rooms and a lot of different concessions and activities for the kids. PLus the scenic backdrop of Old South Mountain in October can't be beat.xnodx

TheValleyRaider
June 9th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Andy Kerr gets a solid "B". The Scoreboard is a nice improvement, and the view, especially as you get higher in the Crescent, is great. My biggest complaint, and I've been saying it awhile now, is the size of the visitor's bleachers. Way way way too big. Chop off at least a quarter on each side, and then you might have something.

Second the comments on Princeton and Lehigh

PSUVikings
June 9th, 2007, 06:31 PM
PGE Park gets a D+, its a nice stadium and seats 23K but the reason I give it a D+ is cause its a freaking baseball field!!!!!!!!

ISUMatt
June 9th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Hancock Stadium...D

HENJOHN
June 9th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Delaware stadium (22,000 every weeekend) gets an A- from me. It has great site lines, there is no track on the field anywhere, stands are right on top of the field, parking right close the stadium, its On campus and while it does need some upgrades, its a great place to see a college football game.

89rabbit
June 9th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Coughlin-Alumni = C

We keep making improvements and that has brought us up to a C. Ultimately it will be replaced in the next 10-15 years as it opened in 1962.

FargoBison
June 9th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I'll give the Fargodome an A, it is probably as good as a dome can get. Sightlines are great, tailgating lots are big and packed, concessions are solid, and the place can really rock when it needs to.

No_Skill
June 9th, 2007, 07:21 PM
I give the Fargodome a B+

-First off it NEEDS field turf with better on field logos/painting.
-Lighting also could be upped a few hundred-thousand lumens
-Finally, I would love to have an improved sound system. I want to feel the floor vibrate during "Thunder Struck"

Other than that I love the dome. xthumbsupx

SoDakState
June 9th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Coughlin-Alumni = C

We keep making improvements and that has brought us up to a C. Ultimately it will be replaced in the next 10-15 years as it opened in 1962.

im gonna have to agree. it has great seating on one side but huge old yellow bleachers on the other.......... the amazing daktronics scoreboard thats worth more than my life brings the grade up a little though

FargoBison
June 9th, 2007, 07:25 PM

-Finally, I would love to have an improved sound system. I want to feel the floor vibrate during "Thunder Struck"

The sound system was improved over the offseason, it is now about 100 times better then it was. The place will really be rocking next year. Hopefully, Field Turf comes in a few years but I'm sure they'll want to wear out the stuff the dome has now first.

Grizalltheway
June 9th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Just thought I'd take this opportunity to pi$$ off every member of AGS

http://www.egriz.com/GrizPics2/albums/userpics/10001/normal_griz_stadium_from_above.jpg

:D :D xrotatehx xwhistlex

A++, btw

PSUVikings
June 9th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Just thought I'd take this opportunity to pi$$ off every member of AGS

http://www.egriz.com/GrizPics2/albums/userpics/10001/normal_griz_stadium_from_above.jpg

:D :D xrotatehx xwhistlex

A++, btw

It's nice but there are far better stadiums at the FCS level.

bulldog10jw
June 9th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Someone who has been to the Yale Bowl since the renovation will have to help me with this one. Yale Football Fan, where are you?

89Hen
June 9th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Delaware stadium (22,000 every weeekend) gets an A- from me. It has great site lines, there is no track on the field anywhere, stands are right on top of the field, parking right close the stadium, its On campus and while it does need some upgrades, its a great place to see a college football game.
Yup, as much as we complain about needing more seats or maybe a new stadium and the poor press people complaining about needing a good press box xrolleyesx it really is a great stadium for viewing for everything John mentions, plus the first row is 6' above the field and the sides are really steep so there's not a bad seat in the house. xthumbsupx

FlyYtown
June 9th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Wash-Griz is a great place to see a game; so is Delaware; and so is Stambaugh.

I rate Stambaugh an A-: The only downside is we never actually followed those expansion photos from the 1990s and made it a 'shoe!! We still have 21,000 seats in a first class college atmosphere. We have arguably the best loge/press box in FCS and a great scoreboard. And NO TRACK!

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/ohio/youngstown_stambaugh.jpg

already123
June 9th, 2007, 07:44 PM

I disagree...The Griz's stadium is def. on point!

NDSUFREAK
June 9th, 2007, 07:46 PM

listen...can you hear the griz posters stampeding to protest?

PSUVikings
June 9th, 2007, 07:49 PM
listen...can you hear the griz posters stampeding to protest?

xlolx Yep!!!

Sorry I've been to many stadiums at the FBS level that make UM's stadium look like a play pen!

already123
June 9th, 2007, 07:50 PM
B.
The skydome is very nice, esp with the new scoreboard. Once they finish repainting the inside, it will be one of the best

Grizalltheway
June 9th, 2007, 07:50 PM

There may be stadiums that the vikes are far more capable of winning at, but far better? Doubt it.

bisonguy
June 9th, 2007, 07:55 PM

Lighting should be priority #1 IMO, as the sound system was replaced( all new JBL/Crown system).

A new field surface should be installed in the next 3-5 years.

I give the Fargodome an A-

813Jag
June 9th, 2007, 08:12 PM

That track has been there for ever and it isn't going anywhere. our expansion will add seats and a locker room complex. So to me that = an A.

Franks Tanks
June 9th, 2007, 08:25 PM
There may be stadiums that the vikes are far more capable of winning at, but far better? Doubt it.

Sorry, but I still think these are better stadiums, but of course the atmosphere cant compare.

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/09.14/photos/18-stadium5-4

http://www.clarkcompanies.com/Site%20Revision/images/Large%20Project%20Photos/Princeton-University.jpg

http://www.pennalumnitrack.com/sitebuilder/images/FranklinFieldUpdate-960x720.jpg

PSUVikings
June 9th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Sorry, but I still think these are better stadiums, but of course the atmosphere cant compare.

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/09.14/photos/18-stadium5-4

http://www.clarkcompanies.com/Site%20Revision/images/Large%20Project%20Photos/Princeton-University.jpg

http://www.pennalumnitrack.com/sitebuilder/images/FranklinFieldUpdate-960x720.jpg

Thank you Franks Tanks, those are prime examples.

Franks Tanks
June 9th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Thank you Franks Tanks, those are prime examples.

Well we may disagree in our tastes in helmets, but glad someone else agrees with me on this one xlolx

BearsCountry
June 9th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Plaster Field - B

Half our stadium is nice, the other half is horrible and a track. But we have a scenic spot on campus for the field, plus a new video scoreboard on the way. With a few improvements we could have a very nice stadium.

Peems
June 9th, 2007, 08:38 PM
you're right Penn has a better stadium, that track really adds to it.

I'll agree that in the grand scheme of things i.e. FBS schools Wa-Griz is not even close to the best. But in FCS it is definitely one of the best.

NSUDemon98
June 9th, 2007, 08:40 PM

Oh geez...here we go.

Don't get me wrong, there probably are, I have never been to any stadiums outside of the Southland and some FBS schools...but you just opened up a big can of ego xlolx

FargoBison
June 9th, 2007, 08:40 PM
I'll agree with Princeton, that is probably the best in the FCS but Penn needs to lose the track. As for the picture at first I thought it could use a facelift but when I look at a different picture it looks like a pretty cool stadium.

http://www.nmnathletics.com//pics30/640/LU/LUWBYOTPMARSZTS.20041005150157.jpg

BearsCountry
June 9th, 2007, 08:41 PM
I'll agree with Princeton, that is probably the best in the FCS but Penn needs to lose the track and by the looks of picture could use a face lift as well.

Sorry Penn cant lose the track bc the stadium's most famous event, Penn Relays, is a track meet.

Peems
June 9th, 2007, 08:43 PM
also i'm not going to get in a pissing match but PSUfan please name 5 stadiums in FCS which are better than Wa-Griz

Franks Tanks
June 9th, 2007, 08:46 PM
I'll agree with Princeton, that is probably the best in the FCS but Penn needs to lose the track and by the looks of picture could use a face lift as well.

I agree they could use a Facelift, but they will never lose the track. The famous Penn Relays track event is held their every spring and comes much closer to filling the place up than any Penn football game has recently, its a very big deal. Renovating Franklin would cost MASSIVE amounts of money however, and I cant see the school or the city forking that over. Franklin also has incredible history as the Eagles playes their games their for years. Chuck Bednarik and the Eagles won the 1960 NFL championship there over Vince Lombardi and the packers. I still talk about this cause i'm an Eagles fan and Ihave no other championships to reference

FargoBison
June 9th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Sorry Penn cant lose the track bc the stadium's most famous event, Penn Relays, is a track meet.

Thats too bad, without the track that would be one really cool old football stadium. With the track it is just a nice old football stadium.

Eyes of Old Main
June 9th, 2007, 08:49 PM
I'll rate Gibbs Stadium a B-.

It's a great facility, but its fairly sterile and would benefit greatly from some old gold and black paint and some field markings. I also mark it down some because the turf is usually not in as good of shape as it should be due to its use by Spartanburg High.

already123
June 9th, 2007, 08:55 PM
can someone please post pics of Princeton's stadium. Cal Poly's? Appy?

bulldog10jw
June 9th, 2007, 08:57 PM

Princeton's is on the previous page.

BrevardMountaineer03
June 9th, 2007, 09:04 PM

I don't have pictures, but Apps Kidd Brewer Stadium I would have to rate a 'B'. I am not a fan of dueling bleachers. The 'visiting' side isn't as big as the 1/2 the home side. I Love the atmosphere at KBS, the sellouts, the seating on the lawn, but I'm not sure the Stadium itself is higher then a B yet. But....it is being refurnished, so I'll see how the 'New' Kidd Brewer is.

ngineer
June 9th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Someone who has been to the Yale Bowl since the renovation will have to help me with this one. Yale Football Fan, where are you?

I was to the Lehigh/Yale game last year. My first trip to 'da Bowl'...Certainly impressed with it's size, But the pitch of the seats could be better. If you sit up high, you're really far from the field. The concessons and restrooms are OUTSIDE the stadium..So while the upgrades are certainly nice in terms of the quality of the seats, there's some significant drawbacks that cannot be addressed because of the structure..I give it C.

ngineer
June 9th, 2007, 09:26 PM

I"ve been to Penn's Franklin Field many times. It's right behind Princeton's..Despite the track, the pitch of the seats still gives you a very good sight line..Some seats gets partially obstructed with a pole, but too bad. The restrooms and concessions are adequate.

Cocky
June 9th, 2007, 09:27 PM
I would give the Snow a B. The new FieldTurf, Renovated Fieldhouse, and Video Board are great improvement, but it needs more. The plans are to add 5 to 6,000 plus suites and club seating. Moving the home side to the Southside will be good, too. This will also address the pressbox which needs work. The game atmosphere will still need work. The site lines are very good from all parts of the stadium, but we need more chairback seats. You are also very, very close to the action.

Parking and traffic are not a problem even with large crowds.

Overall a good place to watch a game but some improvements are needed but luckily most are in process of being corrected in the near future.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/alabama/jacksonville_snow.jpg

ngineer
June 9th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Wash-Griz is a great place to see a game; so is Delaware; and so is Stambaugh.

I rate Stambaugh an A-: The only downside is we never actually followed those expansion photos from the 1990s and made it a 'shoe!! We still have 21,000 seats in a first class college atmosphere. We have arguably the best loge/press box in FCS and a great scoreboard. And NO TRACK!

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/ohio/youngstown_stambaugh.jpg

In looking at the photos, I'd rank Wash-Griz behind Princeton and YSU. A huge portion of the stands a Montana are in the endzone..not very good IMO. Don't get me wrong, it looks like a great setting, and I still give it an A, but it doesn't get the "+" I'd give to Princeton and YSU.

Peems
June 9th, 2007, 09:49 PM
In looking at the photos, I'd rank Wash-Griz behind Princeton and YSU. A huge portion of the stands a Montana are in the endzone..not very good IMO. Don't get me wrong, it looks like a great setting, and I still give it an A, but it doesn't get the "+" I'd give to Princeton and YSU.

not really. The North Endzone has a good portion of fans but the east and west sides are the biggest by far. The South Endzone barely has any seating at all due to the scoreboard and Griz Vision. The north endzone is the loudest and because they built it "up" that is why it appears as if there are more people there than on either "sides". I still respect your opinion about princeton and YSU but YSU doesn't even have endzone seating and the visitor side is something to be desired, not taking away from all the things that make it great.

Peems
June 9th, 2007, 09:49 PM
also psufan still hasn't given me 5 stadiums better than wa-griz.:Dxnodx

ucdtim17
June 9th, 2007, 09:52 PM
WaGriz is all lopsided. It's nice that the stands are right on the field, but the endzone sections shouldn't be bigger than the sideline sections. They keep adding bit by bit and it shows - there was obviously no master plan when they started and they're making it up as they go

SDFS
June 9th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Rating the facilities that I have seen:

1) UND - Alerus Center - Grade C+
http://fightingsioux.xosn.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=736149
Newer facility has a 12,200 seat capacity all good seats (between the goal lines) on top of the action.

2) NDSU Fargo Dome - Grade B-

Nice facility better than the Alerus

3) SDSU Coughlin Staduim - Grade C+
4) USD Dakota Dome - Grade C

I do not like domes so ... so, I am screwed in these parts..

I have never been to Griz Stadium, looks nice and everthing.. But, it looks like 60% of seats are goal line or end zone... not a good thing for 24,000 seat facility.. 10,000 good seats and then 14,000 end zone/goal line seats.. I see someone else had the same thought!!

ngineer
June 9th, 2007, 10:07 PM
not really. The North Endzone has a good portion of fans but the east and west sides are the biggest by far. The South Endzone barely has any seating at all due to the scoreboard and Griz Vision. The north endzone is the loudest and because they built it "up" that is why it appears as if there are more people there than on either "sides". I still respect your opinion about princeton and YSU but YSU doesn't even have endzone seating and the visitor side is something to be desired, not taking away from all the things that make it great.

Just a matter of taste. End zone seating never did anything for me. I'd rather see higher grandstands along the sidelines--though I don't think Montana can do it without major restructuring, so I understand the large endzone.
Lehigh's Goodman can accomodate about 4,000 on the grass in the south endzone horseshoe, though it is not included in the 'official' capacity figures. I've sat there with my kids years ago because they liked to roll up and down the embankment and be with the 'big kids'--while looking forelornly at my seats on the 50...:o

DFW HOYA
June 9th, 2007, 10:14 PM
I know it's popular of late to claim Fisher Field is at the top of the PL list, but the overall Lehigh setup still holds up well for me. The league-wide list would be:

1. Lehigh
2. Lafayette
3. Bucknell
4. Holy Cross
5. Colgate
6. Fordham
7. Georgetown

Tribe4SF
June 9th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Zable Stadium has many shortcomings, but atmosphere is not one of them. It's a beautiful place, which needs a new press box, and a new scoreboard. The picture below was taken prior to FieldTurf installation.

Henny
June 9th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Yeah John and 89, as much as we want to expand De. Stadium. Im lucky to sit on the 50 10 rows from the top. Given how close the stands are to the field and the pitch of the stands, I feel like I have the best view of a game in probably all of the FCS. Now about that press box and seating capacity.................

EKU05
June 9th, 2007, 11:56 PM
I'd give Roy Kidd Stadium a B+. I think it compares favorabley with most of I-AA and is probably (at worst) the second best on campus facility in the OVC. It is extremely lopsided, so that's a turn off for a lot of people, but the berm ("the hill") in the endzone is nice, and we do have a videoboard now featuring live in game stats. The natural grass field is always in very good shape.

It turned out pretty well considering that when it was built in 1969 the state refused to give EKU and money for a stadium...so instead they used state money to build a new physical education building that, when you put bleachers on the steeply slanted roof off the back looks suspiciously like a football stadium...

blukeys
June 10th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Yeah John and 89, as much as we want to expand De. Stadium. Im lucky to sit on the 50 10 rows from the top. Given how close the stands are to the field and the pitch of the stands, I feel like I have the best view of a game in probably all of the FCS. Now about that press box and seating capacity.................

To heck!! with the press box upgrades (Don't really mean heck) .

Reporters are the whiniest group of human beings in the world. Let's not forget THEY ARE GETTING PAID TO WATCH A GAME WE HAVE TO PAY TO GET INTO!!!!!! xnodx xnodx

I say tear down the old press box since they hate it so much. ADD more seating capacity to about 25,000 and let the spoiled reporters find their way to a regular seat with their laptops!!!!!xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

BearsCountry
June 10th, 2007, 12:23 AM
http://www.prestressedcasting.com/images/projects/smsu_plaster/night.jpg

http://www.prestressedcasting.com/images/projects/smsu_plaster/arial.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/00/Football_Stadium.jpg

poly51
June 10th, 2007, 12:24 AM

Cal Poly's Alex Spanos Mustang Stadium.
http://www.members.aol.com/jsimas1/p3110037.jpg
http://www.members.aol.com/jsimas1/p3110038.jpg
http://www.members.aol.com/jsimas1/p3110039.jpg
http://www.members.aol.com/jsimas1/p3110040.jpg
http://www.members.aol.com/jsimas1/p3110044.jpg

bigskyrocks
June 10th, 2007, 01:59 AM
well in my opinion the stadium could be as big as the big house or a small as my high schools, its not about the facilites or atmosphere, its how the teams play in the stadium. so if you go by that notion i have to say Montana unless someone can prove to me that their team has a better home record then the griz which is 133-19 (including playoffs) .875 winning percentage so lets make it fair and iclude at least 15 home games. but if you go by what everyone else is going by i would have to say montana gets an A, add some more to the south and sidelines and you get the plus, i love how close it is to the field and the all around gameday experience its definatly something that any realy fcs fan should see.

slycat
June 10th, 2007, 02:29 AM
I give Bobcat stadium a C+. the endzone complex is new and very nice. however having a track sucks and we need a much nicer press box.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/txst/graphics/wallpaper/fbthankyou800x600.jpg

T-Dog
June 10th, 2007, 02:53 AM
I hope these actually work.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/north_carolina/boone_brewer.jpg

http://www.goasu.com/autoimage/psSZ7He.jpg

http://homecoming.appstate.edu/photos/06Homecoming/06Homecoming/Game-Chad/IMG_1936.JPG

http://homecoming.appstate.edu/photos/06Homecoming/06Homecoming/Game-Chad/IMG_1949.JPG

I gotta give our stadium a B- overall. Track, bathrooms are a few minor problems. Positives are the scenic views, but the App fans make the stadium special. There's a reason no one besides the Black and Gold have won there in four years. It also amazes me that we crammed 26K into that stadium this past year (listed capacity is 16,600 for the bleachers which means appx 10K are on the hill(s).

Oh yeah, see that pressbox? Completely gone now. Going to build a BIGGER and BETTER one before next season. Have no idea what the plan is this year but it doesn't affect me.

grizband
June 10th, 2007, 03:28 AM
well in my opinion the stadium could be as big as the big house or a small as my high schools, its not about the facilites or atmosphere, its how the teams play in the stadium. so if you go by that notion i have to say Montana unless someone can prove to me that their team has a better home record then the griz which is 133-19 (including playoffs) .875 winning percentage so lets make it fair and iclude at least 15 home games. but if you go by what evryone else is going by i would have to say montana gets an A, add some more to the south and sidelines and you get the plus, i love how close it is to the field and the all around gameday experience its definatly something that any realy fcs fan should see.
Georgia Southern is the only school which comes to mind...
143-22 (.8667)

seantaylor
June 10th, 2007, 04:47 AM
No one can even submit their name in the hat if they have a track around the stadium.

Grizalltheway
June 10th, 2007, 05:24 AM
I hope these actually work.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/north_carolina/boone_brewer.jpg

http://www.goasu.com/autoimage/psSZ7He.jpg

http://homecoming.appstate.edu/photos/06Homecoming/06Homecoming/Game-Chad/IMG_1936.JPG

http://homecoming.appstate.edu/photos/06Homecoming/06Homecoming/Game-Chad/IMG_1949.JPG

I gotta give our stadium a B- overall. Track, bathrooms are a few minor problems. Positives are the scenic views, but the App fans make the stadium special. There's a reason no one besides the Black and Gold have won there in four years. It also amazes me that we crammed 26K into that stadium this past year (listed capacity is 16,600 for the bleachers which means appx 10K are on the hill(s).

Oh yeah, see that pressbox? Completely gone now. Going to build a BIGGER and BETTER one before next season. Have no idea what the plan is this year but it doesn't affect me.

I definitely dig the hills and trees surrounding the stadium, gives it a real cozy atmosphere. :)

Tribe4SF
June 10th, 2007, 07:07 AM
No one can even submit their name in the hat if they have a track around the stadium.

Can't submit their name for what? The title of the thread is "Rate your stadium".

This obsession with the negative aspects of a track has gotten old. Sure it's less desirable, but it's not that big a deal.

appfan2008
June 10th, 2007, 07:13 AM
kidd brewer gets a solid b in my book...

negatives are obviously the press box(getting better), concessions (getting better), restrooms (getting better), a track (one day i hope)and sheer number of seats especially on the visitor side (one day i hope)

positives... atmosphere, setting (compares to any stadium in the country), fans( constant way over sellouts), the hill (best hill in football), and the team (that always helps)

Grizalltheway
June 10th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Here's one thing I don't understand: if a stadium already has a track, how would getting rid of it improve it? Short of moving the entire grandstand toward the field, there's really no way to give the stadium a more intimate feel.

McTailGator
June 10th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Here's one thing I don't understand: if a stadium already has a track, how would getting rid of it improve it? Short of moving the entire grandstand toward the field, there's really no way to give the stadium a more intimate feel.

Interesting and usless factoid...

EVERY Texas school in the SLC has a track around it. Every Lousisana School does not (SE Louisiana's installed seating over theirs, so it does not count).

I saw a post from a TxSU fan once that mentioned his desire to lower the playing field (Prior to installing their new turf) by 6 or 7 feet and creating natural burms in their north EZ. They could remove the track and extend their grand stands forward with some box seating closer to the playing field.

They need to expand their stadium in San Marco's that would be a nice alternative. But expensive now that their new turf has already been installed.

Same goes for SE Louisiana, although they only have a 5 lane track that isn't even used. Their bottom seats or almost at ground level which makes it impossible to see the field or over the players benches. Lowering the playing surfaces and extending the seats outward would be very nice for the fans and increase the intensity and noise for the players.

The bottom row of Cowboy Stadium is apx. 10 feet above the playing surface, so even those seats are pretty good. Although I personally prefer row 45. xsmiley_wix

89Hen
June 10th, 2007, 08:45 AM
This obsession with the negative aspects of a track has gotten old. Sure it's less desirable, but it's not that big a deal.
It is IMO. Zable is a good example of it. With the track and the fact that the first row of seats is basically at field level, the viewing is simply not good. Still one of my favorite places to go, but not good viewing. Any stadium with a track around the field will automatically start as a B as the highest grade for me.

89Hen
June 10th, 2007, 08:52 AM
also i'm not going to get in a pissing match but PSUfan please name 5 stadiums in FCS which are better than Wa-Griz
There's only one IMO, Princeton. YSU is too lopsided and UD needs to add more seats to catch up. xtwocentsx

Franks Tanks
June 10th, 2007, 09:02 AM
It is IMO. Zable is a good example of it. With the track and the fact that the first row of seats is basically at field level, the viewing is simply not good. Still one of my favorite places to go, but not good viewing. Any stadium with a track around the field will automatically start as a B as the highest grade for me.

I was in the camp that a track is no big deal until Lafayette took theirs out and the sightlines inproved tremendously. You feel so much closer to the action without the track the difference really is remarkable

No_Skill
June 10th, 2007, 09:20 AM
well in my opinion the stadium could be as big as the big house or a small as my high schools, its not about the facilites or atmosphere, its how the teams play in the stadium. so if you go by that notion i have to say Montana unless someone can prove to me that their team has a better home record then the griz which is 133-19 (including playoffs) .875 winning percentage so lets make it fair and iclude at least 15 home games. but if you go by what everyone else is going by i would have to say montana gets an A, add some more to the south and sidelines and you get the plus, i love how close it is to the field and the all around gameday experience its definatly something that any realy fcs fan should see.

Ummm I think you totally missed the point of this thread. xnonox

Ronbo
June 10th, 2007, 09:22 AM

Washington State was expanded in the 70's I think by removing the track, then digging down 16 feet. They expanded down rather than up, going from 26,000 to 40,000.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/wast/graphics/martin-stadium/stadium1978.jpg
With Track

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/wast/graphics/martin-stadium/field-turf00.jpg
Work under way. New seating just below newly added stadium entrances.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wast/nonsport/facilities/wast-martin-stadium-250-05.jpg
Stadium today. Walla! No track and 14,000 new seats.

katstrapper
June 10th, 2007, 09:22 AM
After the installation of the new turf, renovation of locker rooms, new scoreboard, new suites, and new goal posts over the years, Bowers Stadium is shaping up as a fine facility. There is still some work to be done, but it is a nice stadium.

http://www.gobearkats.com/facilities/facility%20pictures/bowers_montana.jpg

SDFS
June 10th, 2007, 09:25 AM

I know that it is D-II, but UND is starting transition next year with a Alerus record of:
Regular Season: 32-5 86% Playoffs: 9-0 100% Total: 41-5 89%

4 of the 5 loses are by a total of 8 points (two 3 pts loses one in (ot) and two 1 points loses).

I would love to see UM or MSU in Grand Forks in the near future!!!

FlyYtown
June 10th, 2007, 09:45 AM
http://www.prestressedcasting.com/images/projects/smsu_plaster/night.jpg

http://www.prestressedcasting.com/images/projects/smsu_plaster/arial.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/00/Football_Stadium.jpg

MSU is under appreciated in my book. The track hurts the facility; and when you never have too many people at the games; it isn't talked about. I rate it as a B in my book; and the 2nd best stadium in the Gateway.

danefan
June 10th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Albany= F-.

Princeton gets my vote for best physical stadium....not counting game-day atmosphere as a factor.

And Franklin Field is very nice, but old and first and foremost a track and field stadium.

LUHawker
June 10th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Just a matter of taste. End zone seating never did anything for me. I'd rather see higher grandstands along the sidelines--though I don't think Montana can do it without major restructuring, so I understand the large endzone.
Lehigh's Goodman can accomodate about 4,000 on the grass in the south endzone horseshoe, though it is not included in the 'official' capacity figures. I've sat there with my kids years ago because they liked to roll up and down the embankment and be with the 'big kids'--while looking forelornly at my seats on the 50...:o

I would love to see Lehigh put in actual seats on the grass bowl in the south endzone, but just up to the elevation of the main entrance. I think it would really finish off the standium and "connect" the two sides. I also think it would turn into a vocal student section. Another improvement that I would like to see would be a stone or paver walkway from the main parking area to the entrance of the stadium because that walk is one big marsh when it's wet.

Franks Tanks
June 10th, 2007, 11:33 AM
I would love to see Lehigh put in actual seats on the grass bowl in the south endzone, but just up to the elevation of the main entrance. I think it would really finish off the standium and "connect" the two sides. I also think it would turn into a vocal student section. Another improvement that I would like to see would be a stone or paver walkway from the main parking area to the entrance of the stadium because that walk is one big marsh when it's wet.

The enclosed bowl at Lehigh would be great, especially with your attendance. When the game is at Lehigh it hard for us Pards to get tickets, I had to call in some favors to get em for 2005 xsmiley_wix as i procrastinated as usual.

laxVik
June 10th, 2007, 11:50 AM
PSU stadium stinks. It's the curse of having a FCS program in a large metropolitan city. I'd love to see the stadium renovated to football/soccer only. Won't happen though.

Ronbo
June 10th, 2007, 01:19 PM
how many does this place hold?

23,500 with temporary bleachers they set up in the corners. Will go to 25,500 in 2008 with another two thousands seats added with an upper deck plus club level on the east side.

Jag4Life
June 10th, 2007, 01:38 PM
They are UPGRADING and ADDING THINGS TO THE STADIUM WHILE THEY BUILD THE FIELDHOUSE. Nothing is wrong with the track, we have the biggest scoreboard in I-AA, and once construction start I will be taking pictures so you can see. I'll give my stadium a C and once everything is done I would give Mumford 2 A's!

ucdtim17
June 10th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Same goes for domes

NoSpinZone
June 10th, 2007, 01:52 PM
also psufan still hasn't given me 5 stadiums better than wa-griz.:Dxnodx

Jackson State
Princeton
Tennesse State
UT-Chattanooga
Harvard

The stadiums they play in are better IMO.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x176/nospinphotos/untitled.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x176/nospinphotos/MEM1.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x176/nospinphotos/boston_harvard1.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x176/nospinphotos/chattanooga_finley2.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x176/nospinphotos/nashville_coliseum1.jpg

TheBisonator
June 10th, 2007, 02:07 PM
I give the Fargodome an A+. The seating is right up to the field and fairly steep, so good views from anywhere. The only drawback is being indoors, but if you have been in Fargo late in the season you would understand.

Hmm.. I'd actually give the Fargodome an A- or about 92 percent. There's a couple things that could be improved, namely new seats and new field turf. But I think as far as just pure amenities go, no stadium in the FCS can compare. There's not even any NFL stadiums that have FOUR video boards like the FFD has.

Overall, I think the FFD is still a fabulous facility all the way. Especially with the recent renovations to the football facilities.

MACHIAVELLI
June 10th, 2007, 02:47 PM
PGE Park gets a D+, its a nice stadium and seats 23K but the reason I give it a D+ is cause its a freaking baseball field!!!!!!!!

Yeah kinda of weird not having a visitors section across the field. But a nice baseball park.

Seawolf97
June 10th, 2007, 03:14 PM
I would give La Valle Stadium a B . I know it might be small by some standards at 8300 capacity but it was designed for expansion on the visitors side. Plenty of refreshment booths , restrooms and a fan shop. If they ever expand the seating it would give a bowl appearance since the playing field is below grade.

pcola
June 10th, 2007, 03:16 PM
While the Alerus gets a "B" from me,http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:Rztt1WRa4O6tWM:http://www2.und.edu/our/photo/images/sports/sports1107529355_large.jpg the new attached amenities definitely get an A. Canad Inns just built a 13-story destination hotel, complete with indoor waterpark, attached to the Alerus.
http://bp0.blogger.com/_9rvux6f1kYo/RefipmARqUI/AAAAAAAAABQ/Uc3zJDJGWnI/s1600/Canad%2Bfloor%2Bplan.JPG

pcola
June 10th, 2007, 03:20 PM
While the Alerus gets a "B" from me,http://siouxsports.com/football/aleruscenter.jpg the new attached amenities definitely get an A. Canad Inns just built a 13-story destination hotel, complete with indoor waterpark, attached to the Alerus.
http://www.canadinns.com/grandforks/images/hotelpic.jpg

Brad82
June 10th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Rhody-D. Going to an A soon.

th0m
June 10th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I would give Bridgeforth about a C+/B- at this point, purely based on tangible features. The Athletic Performance Center in the endzone is truly top-notch, and the turf is also brand new. But the stands are too far back (because of the gap of the former track) and not that large. The pressbox is quite small and dated. As far as intangibles go, the atmosphere has been rocking (sell-outs for more than 2 years) and the tailgating scene is ever increasing.

Here's a picture from last season:

http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/3268/bridgeforthsmallen6.jpg

Go...gate
June 10th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Andy Kerr gets a solid "B". The Scoreboard is a nice improvement, and the view, especially as you get higher in the Crescent, is great. My biggest complaint, and I've been saying it awhile now, is the size of the visitor's bleachers. Way way way too big. Chop off at least a quarter on each side, and then you might have something.

Second the comments on Princeton and Lehigh

Ditto all that.

mtgrizfan4life
June 10th, 2007, 06:20 PM
As for Wa/GRIZ, GRIZNATION takes much pride in it, and takes even more pride in creating a fan friendly football environment. Some here do not like all the endzone seating, well I respect that. With that said, the endzone seating is what give the GRIZ the biggest home field advantage in the FCS and argueably one of the top 50 at all levels. The set up makes for pure hell on the opposing teams. GRIZNATION takes pride in being loud, rowdy, intimidating during the game. Before and after the game, we love and respect our opposition and fans.
Ask any football player, team, or fan that has been to game at WA/GRIZ, How intimidating is the noise as whole, especially from the north end zone?
Many fans think we have 50k in attendance based on noise alone.

Think as you want regarding WA/GRIZ, but GRIZNATION will defend it and our team with pride and loyality, with an ever expanding fan base!!!!
GO GRIZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Soon to be 2007 national champions.

FargoBison
June 10th, 2007, 06:26 PM
I'm with you on the endzone seats, underated seats at a low price. After I graduate I'll definately get some seats in the south endzone of the Fargodome, the atmosphere is amazing with the band and student section right nearby.

Here are some picks of the south side of the Fargodome, a very scary place for an opposing offense.

http://www.gobison.com//pics24/640/IR/IRYHGVUSLITPMER.20061028000223.jpg

Here is a picture of the NDSU student section in the south endzone

http://www.bisoninsider.com/images/2006_csp41.jpg

Grizalltheway
June 11th, 2007, 07:53 AM
As for Wa/GRIZ, GRIZNATION takes much pride in it, and takes even more pride in creating a fan friendly football environment. Some here do not like all the endzone seating, well I respect that. With that said, the endzone seating is what give the GRIZ the biggest home field advantage in the FCS and argueably one of the top 50 at all levels. The set up makes for pure hell on the opposing teams. GRIZNATION takes pride in being loud, rowdy, intimidating during the game. Before and after the game, we love and respect our opposition and fans.
Ask any football player, team, or fan that has been to game at WA/GRIZ, How intimidating is the noise as whole, especially from the north end zone?
Many fans think we have 50k in attendance based on noise alone.

Think as you want regarding WA/GRIZ, but GRIZNATION will defend it and our team with pride and loyality, with an ever expanding fan base!!!!
GO GRIZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Soon to be 2007 national champions.

Good point, the Nez is a hell-hole, in a good way.xnodx

TheCatamount
June 11th, 2007, 09:34 AM
E.J. Whitmire Stadium / Bob Waters Field

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wcar/galleries/Athletic-Facilities/g-WatersField-lg.jpg

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wcar/galleries/Athletic-Facilities/g-WhitmireStadium-lg.jpg

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/9345/campusfy9.jpg

I'd have to give our stadium a B. It is getting kind of old and could use a few new updates, but nothing beats the scenery of the place and when the team is playing well(or a big game) the place is rockin

813Jag
June 11th, 2007, 09:52 AM
A couple of stadiums that don't get mentioned:
Alcorn St.
http://www.alcorn.edu/admissions/map/seventy/seventy4.jpg
http://www.alcorn.edu/admissions/map/seventy/seventy4a.jpg
Alabama A&M
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/alam/galleries/facilities/louis_crews_stadium-lg.jpg
http://www.skt.com/stadium/stadium.jpg

Jag4Life
June 11th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Alabama State's stadium.

http://commercialcoatings.net/images/Cramton%20Bowl.jpg

89Hen
June 11th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Alabama A&M
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/alam/galleries/facilities/louis_crews_stadium-lg.jpg

Wow! Great looking stadium, but did they used to have a track around the field? Those stands are so far away from the sidelines. If they were closer that would be one of the best I've seen. xthumbsupx

Jag4Life
June 11th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Wow! Great looking stadium, but did they used to have a track around the field? Those stands are so far away from the sidelines. If they were closer that would be one of the best I've seen. xthumbsupx

lol, I don't know, but yes the seats are a mile away from the field but you can see everything from there.

AndrewFU21
June 11th, 2007, 10:23 AM
With the FCS stadiums I have seen, I'd say Paladin Stadium is around the middle of the pack. I like how the stands are very close to the field, although depth perception isn't great for those sitting really low, so most non-students sit further up where you can look down on the field. The seating capacity is 16,000, which normally is plenty big enough for us. The facility itself isn't the nicest or most state-of-the art, but I've never cared all that much for that kind of stuff. When it comes to watching a game, its a nice place for football. Visiting fans will find free and easy parking as well as friendly Furman fans. If the money was there, I would like to see a new scoreboard and a better press box, but that seems doubtful.

813Jag
June 11th, 2007, 11:08 AM

I don't think it had a track around the field. But the vistor stands feel like you are in another stadium.

SactoHornetFan
June 11th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Don't even get me started on Hornet Stadium. Its a D-- (can't give it an F). We are scheduled to do a future renovation to the structure itself (get rid of the erector set look). The new fieldhouse is under construction so it will look great once its done.

Sir William
June 11th, 2007, 02:11 PM
If the money was there, I would like to see a new scoreboard and a better press box, but that seems doubtful.

Not to mention, a new fieldhouse. xthumbsupx

And brother, the money is there. xcoffeex

Cocky
June 11th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Ala A&M stadium is very nice. Probably the prettiest FCS stadium I've been to minus Tenn State. It isn't the best for viewing a game but it is first class in every other way.

SirApp
June 11th, 2007, 02:32 PM
As of right now, I would give Kidd Brewer a B-

After the new pressbox comes in, I'll move it to a B+. We also need a little more seating, a better PA system, more restrooms, and we need to get rid of that darned track and build something for our great track program. Once all this is complete, it will deserve an A.

ncbears
June 11th, 2007, 02:52 PM
I'll give Nottingham Field a B-. We need to build more seats and take out the track. However, the upper level suites are nice and we're completing a brand new team house at the east end of the stadium that will be finished by home kick off in September.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:IhcgRlF2PQ1tKM:http://www.uncbearssports.com/images/nott2.jpg

carney2
June 11th, 2007, 04:34 PM
I absolutely adore Penn's Franklin Field, but it is from a different era when Penn played for national championships (FBS championships in today's lingo). For a 1st class FCS stadium you will have to go a long way to beat Princeton Stadium.

AggieFinn
June 11th, 2007, 04:45 PM
All around A-. Brand new yet to be played in, but we don't have lights. Would be nice to have those, but still a gem.

No lights, with Sac Valley late summers? Give it a B- until they're lights, then we get an A-, A+ when the capacity is upped and we're selling out the stadium at 15k-20k every home game.

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper981/stills/t4yf0sjj.jpg

bostonspider
June 11th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Well UR Stadium is nice sized with in general good site lines, but it is old, decrepit, far from campus and in a mediocre area. So I think it gets a C- from me. And I can't wait for the too small, track encircled on campus stadium.

http://www.impactsoccer.com/stades/richmond2.jpg

TheCatamount
June 11th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Does anyone else have an opinion on E.J. Whitmire Stadium / Bob Waters Field(Western Carolina). I'd like to know if anyone else has been there and what they thought of it.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wcar/galleries/Athletic-Facilities/g-WatersField-lg.jpg

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wcar/galleries/Athletic-Facilities/g-WhitmireStadium-lg.jpg

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/9345/campusfy9.jpg

HENJOHN
June 11th, 2007, 05:10 PM
I posted earlier on my home stadium and alma mater (Delaware), but here's a couple of quick Grade's for I-AA stadiums I have been too at least once that I liked. (Overall grades)

Montana---(A) WOW, it helped we won 49-48, but a great place
Youngstown (B+) Nice complex and a great Home field side
E Kentucky (B) Nice stadium and nice Home stands again
McNeese St (B+) Nice stadium and a great place to see a game
JMU (B+) Getting better all the time, good site lines & students
W & Mary (C-) Nice atmosphere, but terrible seating & site lines
Chattanooga (B) Stands are not pitched enough but nice place
Lehigh (B) Great stadium and atmosphere

I need to go to Appalachian State for a game I guess.

ButlerGSU
June 11th, 2007, 06:46 PM
I'd give Paulson Stadium an A or an A-, it should improve with the new concessions/bathrooms/concourse this fall.

Anyone who has been there care to rate it?

Demon Fan
June 11th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I give Turpin Stadium a C. It isn't THAT old but it looks every bit of a HARD 35 years old. A couple million in renovations(bathrooms, facade, concession stands, yard work) would make it a A.
I pretty much agree with you 98; however considering it should get extra points for no track, chairbacks in the reserved section, and the new video scoreboard should bring it up to a B. You are right on target though, better bathrooms and concession areas are needed!

GaSouthern
June 11th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Georgia Southern = A-

GaSouthern
June 11th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Well UR Stadium is nice sized with in general good site lines, but it is old, decrepit, far from campus and in a mediocre area. So I think it gets a C- from me. And I can't wait for the too small, track encircled on campus stadium.

http://www.impactsoccer.com/stades/richmond2.jpg

For some reason this has always been one of my fav's!! xthumbsupx

ucdtim17
June 11th, 2007, 08:01 PM
No lights, with Sac Valley late summers? Give it a B- until they're lights, then we get an A-, A+ when the capacity is upped and we're selling out the stadium at 15k-20k every home game.

I forget if I already gave us a grade, but starting at A+ when we're at 30,000, I'd backtrack down to B- as well now. It's a palace compared to Toomey but still too small.

813Jag
June 11th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I pretty much agree with you 98; however considering it should get extra points for no track, chairbacks in the reserved section, and the new video scoreboard should bring it up to a B. You are right on target though, better bathrooms and concession areas are needed!
I always liked Turpin Stadium, even though the last time we were there we left with an L.

Mustang Man
June 11th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Cal Poly's Spanos Mustang Stadium gets a B right now. We still need to add an updated scoreboard and redo the whole east side to match the west side stands.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
June 12th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Rating those that I have been to:

JMU B- ; Despite the track, the white top covering helps for aesthetic purposes and it is a fairly vertical stadium so sight lines are good. The temporary seating in the endzone fills out the stadium nicely for the time being. Recent upgrades of the field and APC are top-notch. Needs a new press box and more seating. Parking deck also adds a nice touch on the home side (great to walk into the deck for halftime tailgating!). Minitron could be bigger, but the overall scoreboard is nice.

UR C+ ; getting worse with age. The saving grace with Richmond is the bowl, but the bowl is still too low and sight lines are no so great for visitors.

W&M B+ ; new lights, new field turf (although I loved the old grass), and the brick give this stadium a great atmosphere and feel to it matching historic Williamsburg. Sight lines are bad though. Scoreboard could use a facelift. Track is a minus.

Delaware B+ Bathrooms are nasty, has a very old feel to it, grass/turf has had its issues in hurricane years, just a somewhat cold feel to it all, similar to UR only much bigger and better atmosphere. It is the largest in the CAA, great sideline viewing, but not so good from the endzones, and no track is a plus. Many little things could be done to easily make it an A- stadium, and it wouldn't be too hard to make it an A stadium. Significant bowling of the stadium and facilities upgrades could make it an A+ stadium.

Towson B If the Tigers could fill up Unitas Stadium I think it would be a thing of beauty. Great basic stadium. Good facilities. They just need to upgrade the turf. Get more people to the game and this becomes one hell of a place to play in on Saturdays in the fall.

UT-Chattanooga B+ Very nice all around. There's a reason aside from location that Chattanooga is the destination for the NC and it's comfortable stadium with great sight lines is a big reason. Big enough and roughly the same size on home and away. No bowl is a minus. Facilities are great. It was a C- in 2004 due to turf issues, but with a new turf, easily a B+.

ASU A- I'm not so sure about the giant brown brick of pooh that about to be constructed on top of it, but for now I love it. Main problem with ASU's stadium is the endzones. They could take a page from JMU and bring in addition temporary seating at the one end and the Rock would only be that much tougher of a venue. Keep the upgrades coming, but beware of rash crappy decisions.

Lehigh B Small and nice. Very comfy setting, I like the dug into the ground lower field. Facilities are good. Nothing bad to say about it really, but it was not a really impressive place either. Just a nice venue overall.

YSU B Not a bad start, but definitely feels unfinished. The lack of symmetry between the home and away sides is like a bad cartoon. It's a stadium of two halves, one a thing of awe and fear, the other just another normal FCS sideline. The endzones feel too open. Field is very nice. A lot of things that would make it an A stadium, and then there are those issues that would bring it down to a C stadium. Overall, it's a B. Finish it and you could compete with the Griz in a pissing match.

bostonspider
June 12th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Rating those that I have been to:

UR C+ ; getting worse with age. The saving grace with Richmond is the bowl, but the bowl is still too low and sight lines are no so great for visitors.

Delaware B+ Bathrooms are nasty, has a very old feel to it, grass/turf has had its issues in hurricane years, just a somewhat cold feel to it all, similar to UR only much bigger and better atmosphere. It is the largest in the CAA, great sideline viewing, but not so good from the endzones, and no track is a plus. Many little things could be done to easily make it an A- stadium, and it wouldn't be too hard to make it an A stadium. Significant bowling of the stadium and facilities upgrades could make it an A+ stadium.

While I do not disagree with your assessment of UR Stadium, Delaware is not "much bigger". I think one seats 22,000 and the other 23,000. But you are correct in your assessment of Delaware's atmosphere being worlds better...

JMU2K_DukeDawg
June 12th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the clarification bostonspider, you are right. The issue with UR is how spread out that bowl goes. No one seems to ever sit in the endzone areas either, so I guess it "feels" smaller. After UR builds it's new stadium, though, UD will be much larger! xconfusedx xsmhx

spelunker64
June 12th, 2007, 12:05 PM
I'd say an A-, get us some field-turf and it'd move to an 'A'

SeattleGriz
June 12th, 2007, 12:19 PM
WaGriz is all lopsided. It's nice that the stands are right on the field, but the endzone sections shouldn't be bigger than the sideline sections. They keep adding bit by bit and it shows - there was obviously no master plan when they started and they're making it up as they go

I don't know if it was so much that there wasn't a master plan, or if the planners didn't expect Montana football to become so popular.

The stadium was built when I was in college and I remember them stating it was specifically built to accept expansions.

With all that being said, I would have to give WA-Griz an A-. Not perfect, but getting there.

g-webb1994
June 12th, 2007, 01:35 PM
I'd give Spangler a B-, but compared to what we had just a few years ago, it looks and feels like an A with Bulldog glasses on.

SeattleGriz
June 12th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I posted earlier on my home stadium and alma mater (Delaware), but here's a couple of quick Grade's for I-AA stadiums I have been too at least once that I liked. (Overall grades)

Montana---(A) WOW, it helped we won 49-48, but a great place

If I remember right, you must've been about the only person to make it up for game? Not too many from Delaware were there.

By the way, that game is still one of my all time favorites. The last three minutes of that game were insane with all the scoring and lead changes.

Also, you do know the kicker who missed that XP, was the same one that nailed the FG to beat Marshall for our first NC.

NSUDemon98
June 12th, 2007, 06:05 PM

Yeah, the videoboard will upgrade it to a C+. Renovations to the bathrooms and concession stands are BADLY needed.

It would also look very nice if they could do something with the outside...maybe put up a brick facade. Replacing the chain link fence around the sides with iron fence or brick work like at the main entrance to the campus would look fantastic.

Tailbone
June 12th, 2007, 07:03 PM
WaGriz is all lopsided. It's nice that the stands are right on the field, but the endzone sections shouldn't be bigger than the sideline sections.

Why not, Grasshopper?
Does this bother your sense of symmetry?
Oakland has its "Black Hole", Cleveland has its "Dog Pound", for Griz fans it's the North Endzone crazies - obviously located in the north endzone.
Many more fans than could be accommodated wished to be part of the "craziness" which made the NEZ the perfect place to begin expansion.

They keep adding bit by bit and it shows - there was obviously no master plan when they started and they're making it up as they go

Most "expansions" occur "bit by bit".
Whether there is or isn't a master plan is not obvious from the limited evidence of the current configuration - and there is insufficient evidence to draw such a conclusion.

The true test of a stadium is the experience of those who sit in it....I haven't heard anyone complain.

ucdtim17
June 12th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Why not, Grasshopper?
Does this bother your sense of symmetry?
Oakland has its "Black Hole", Cleveland has its "Dog Pound", for Griz fans it's the North Endzone crazies - obviously located in the north endzone.
Many more fans than could be accommodated wished to be part of the "craziness" which made the NEZ the perfect place to begin expansion.

Yes it does bother my sense of symmetry. It looks stupid. There's a reason just about every other stadium is built with more people between the goal lines - it looks better and is more fan-friendly.

Most "expansions" occur "bit by bit".
Whether there is or isn't a master plan is not obvious from the limited evidence of the current configuration - and there is insufficient evidence to draw such a conclusion.

The true test of a stadium is the experience of those who sit in it....I haven't heard anyone complain.

Most expansions occur bit-by-bit out of necessity, not because it's better that way.

patssle
June 12th, 2007, 09:12 PM
wow, theres more fans on the endzones than along the sidelines? that is crazy.

slostang
June 12th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Yes it does bother my sense of symmetry. It looks stupid. There's a reason just about every other stadium is built with more people between the goal lines - it looks better and is more fan-friendly.

Most expansions occur bit-by-bit out of necessity, not because it's better that way.

Tim, I've been there three times. I do not care if there are more seats in the endzone, it is awesome. If Davis ever plays in Missoula you should go. I bet you would change your mind.

chattanoogamocs
June 12th, 2007, 09:29 PM
After the work they have done the last two seasons, I would give Finley Stadium about an A-

Once they get the new sound system in this fall and have more work done on the scoreboard...and get the next door eye sore, Parkway Towers sold and renovated (or torn down)...I would say A+

(btw...I am being a little harsh as the stadium has no control over the "next door neighbors", but it is probably the only thing keeping Finley from being perfect...ironically, I just talked to the owner last night and they say they have multiple offers on the table, just a matter of time)

No matter what though...no one can take away the fact that it is the Holy Grail and Field of Dreams of Division I Football!

VT Wildcat Fan53
June 12th, 2007, 10:14 PM

You are too harsh. Best atmosphere I've ever enjoyed in 1-AA (ooops, FCS). Straight A all the way. xthumbsupx Last year, for UNH game, an A+! Of course, the teams on the field had a lot to do with that! xsmiley_wix

EmeryZach
June 12th, 2007, 10:45 PM
UMass Amherst Warren P. McGuirk Alumni Stadium
http://publish.netitor.com/photos/schools/umas/galleries/facilities/g-mcguirk.jpg
http://www.clarkcompanies.com/Site%20Revision/images/Large%20Project%
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/119958295-S.jpg
http://www.grizzoulian.com/construction%20062.jpg

I'd give it a B-. The new turf has added a lot to it. Needs a new press box and permanent lights. Also, there is only one set of bathrooms and they are on the complete opposite side of the stadium from the student section. The snack bars also aren't that great. The tailgating outside is amazing though.

EmeryZach
June 12th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Here's the picture that didn't work
http://photos-493.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v76/108/121/9110493/n9110493_33824156_6932.jpg

Tailbone
June 12th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Yes it does bother my sense of symmetry. It looks stupid.

If you say so.xrolleyesx
Some people don't appreciate the work of Frank Lloyd Wright either (because his designs were original - that means they didn't look like all the others). I personally don't see anything wrong with the design, particularly since it is a single phase of a multi-phase expansion, but you are entitled to your opinion......

Have you been to Wa-Griz and seen the stadium (and the details of the design) or are you the guy who grabs an elephant by the tail and declares it a snake?

There's a reason just about every other stadium is built with more people between the goal lines - it looks better and is more fan-friendly.

So that's why they build 'em that way!xoopsx
I thought it had more to do with sight-lines, construction costs, relative available area along the length vs width of the field.
As for fan friendliness....Griz fans don't seem to mind, although I understand that the fans, teams, and coaches of some teams think that the noise produced in the "ugly" north endzone is artificially produced and unnaturally loud.

They keep adding bit by bit and it shows ..........Most expansions occur bit-by-bit out of necessity, not because it's better that way.

Huh?
English must be your second language.

Is it farther to Seattle...or by bus?xconfusedx
Do you carry your lunch...or walk to school?xconfusedx

LeopardFan04
June 12th, 2007, 11:22 PM
I'd give Fisher an A-. It seems the only grievance is that small number of restrooms (and their accessibility) and the lack of parking. These problems though only come up for home games against Lehigh...no other complaints for me. I'd have put it at maybe a C- a couple of years ago.

ucdtim17
June 13th, 2007, 12:16 AM
If you say so.xrolleyesx
Some people don't appreciate the work of Frank Lloyd Wright either (because his designs were original - that means they didn't look like all the others). I personally don't see anything wrong with the design, particularly since it is a single phase of a multi-phase expansion, but you are entitled to your opinion......

Have you been to Wa-Griz and seen the stadium (and the details of the design) or are you the guy who grabs an elephant by the tail and declares it a snake?

So that's why they build 'em that way!xoopsx
I thought it had more to do with sight-lines, construction costs, relative available area along the length vs width of the field.
As for fan friendliness....Griz fans don't seem to mind, although I understand that the fans, teams, and coaches of some teams think that the noise produced in the "ugly" north endzone is artificially produced and unnaturally loud.

Huh?
English must be your second language.

Is it farther to Seattle...or by bus?xconfusedx
Do you carry your lunch...or walk to school?xconfusedx

I know you're personally offended by the fact that there's someone out there who doesn't think WaGriz is the way God would make a stadium if he were in that business, but you should probably get over it. I'm not the only one

Tailbone
June 13th, 2007, 01:15 AM
I know you're personally offended by the fact that there's someone out there who doesn't think WaGriz is the way God would make a stadium if he were in that business, but you should probably get over it. I'm not the only one

You give yourself too much credit, I couldn't care less about your opinion - But, if I thought your sister was homely I don't think I'd be impolite enough to say so.

Green Cookie Monster
June 13th, 2007, 03:54 PM
I forget if I already gave us a grade, but starting at A+ when we're at 30,000, I'd backtrack down to B- as well now. It's a palace compared to Toomey but still too small.

Arrogant bastard, why not try and get 10K then maybe 12K before 30K. Just like a davis fan, arrogant, arrogant and arrogant.

Johnny5
June 13th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Youngstown State A ish....great home atmosphere. Need to do something about the puny East side though it just looks outta place

putter
June 13th, 2007, 06:29 PM
I give Wa/Griz an A. I understand about the North Endzone but it is what makes it unique and we will keep it that way. The next expansion is going to add seats to the east-sideline area so that may make it look more symmetrical. I also like Princetons stadium and Jacksonville St. There are a lot of nice stadiums at the FCS level and we need to continue to get more like UCD and Cal Poly's!!

laxVik
June 13th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I think the best thing about Griz stadium is the amount of people who fill it each week. Impressive.

TheBisonator
June 13th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I give Wa/Griz an A. I understand about the North Endzone but it is what makes it unique and we will keep it that way. The next expansion is going to add seats to the east-sideline area so that may make it look more symmetrical. I also like Princetons stadium and Jacksonville St. There are a lot of nice stadiums at the FCS level and we need to continue to get more like UCD and Cal Poly's!!

I agree that it will look a lot more symmetrical once you build the upper levels. If you can get upper decks built along the east and west sidelines, it will actually be symmetrical if you split a line down the stadium end-to-end. The problem is getting the scratch to build the expansions.

TheBisonator
June 13th, 2007, 07:32 PM
As for the Fargodome, I was doing some sketches, and I found out that it is possible to expand the capacity to around 24,000 by knocking out the east-side ceiling slope and building a deck on top of the current east grandstand that seats 5,000 or so, and with a new structure put in place underneath it to be flush with the expanse of the new lobby area. The east-side roof would then no longer be sloped, but flat topped. It would work so that you could just tear down that one slope, put some temporary covering over it, and have the construction workers work on the under-structure and new deck and new flat roof, and not have any existing seating affected during games that may take place during the project. The lobby (and the new NDSU football offices) would be a construction zone like no other, though.

The same thing could then happen to the west side grandstand later on to increase the capacity to roughly 29,000.

This may have to happen sooner than we think, IMO. As long as Bison football attendance is increasing by 15 percent or so every year, we may need it in a few years.

Pard4Life
June 13th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Fisher Field? A+ xnodx

ucdtim17
June 13th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Arrogant bastard, why not try and get 10K then maybe 12K before 30K. Just like a davis fan, arrogant, arrogant and arrogant.

yep

aggie6thman
June 13th, 2007, 08:02 PM

We will see after this year. Feels good to be outdrawn by us eh?

SoCon48
June 13th, 2007, 11:00 PM
At the moment, ASU's KBS is a mess. No press box, no restrooms, no nuttin.' But we're promised to actually start something great soon. tick tick tick tick