PDA

View Full Version : NUTS for Homecoming games

BULLDOG8180
June 7th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I would have to select my alma mater, The Citadel.

The wisdom of the school picking the 2 time defending national champion APP STATE, as our homecoming opponent. How crazy is that??xeekx

But, in their defense, dates for homecoming are more important than opponents at The Citadel. Homecoming has to fit in with cadet life. Really no other choices.

Should be a good crowd!xbeerchugx

SU Jag
June 7th, 2007, 12:09 PM
We got Alabama A&M this year.

813Jag
June 7th, 2007, 12:32 PM
We got Alabama A&M this year.

Every other year since they joined. Beats losing to Nicholls State xbawlingx

th0m
June 7th, 2007, 01:06 PM
We have Richmond for homecoming. Good pick, imo! We have 2 road games before and after, so no real choice anyway. Regardless of the opponent, we always sell out HC and Family Weekend (which is the 'nova game this year)

JoshUCA
June 7th, 2007, 01:20 PM
UCA plays Nicholls State for Homecoming this season...should be a better game than last years 55-21 thrashing of Southern Arkansas (It was 35-0 after the 1st Quarter).

CID1990
June 7th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Our Homecoming has nothing to do with the opponent. It is the same time every year, and our opponent just winds up being whoever we happen to have on the schedule that week.

Personally, I prefer to play the better teams on Homecoming. It makes it all the sweeter when we win.

g-webb1994
June 7th, 2007, 01:36 PM
G-Webb has Charleston Southern on Oct. 27. We had a good win streak on Homecoming until a couple of seasons ago.

I don't understand why they insist on an early kickoff on HC at G-W. I understand that playing night games late in the year is pretty much wasted electricity, but a 3 or 3:30 pm kickoff wouldn't be bad, it would allow for more tailgate time, etc.

Of course, being Appy's HC opponent is just love-frickin-ly!:(

TheValleyRaider
June 7th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Bucknell

We've been back and forth with them recently, so the larger crowd for Homecoming should help keep our home streak against them alive. First Homecoming as an Alum :), and probably the only game I'm making this year :(

TheCatamount
June 7th, 2007, 01:54 PM
We have The Citadel for our homecoming game this season. If we improve like I think we can, it should be a great game

813Jag
June 7th, 2007, 02:12 PM
We usually draw well for homecoming so the opponent doesn't matter.

BigApp
June 7th, 2007, 02:43 PM
we get Gardner-Webb for Homecoming.

g-webb1994
June 7th, 2007, 03:05 PM
we get Gardner-Webb for Homecoming.

Doubt y'all will be as generous with the turnovers this year.xnonono2x

PMB4Life
June 7th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Southern Illinois. BRING IT, DAWGS.:D

Calif_Colonial
June 7th, 2007, 09:41 PM
We have Wagner College this year. I am going home a week earlier since we have a home game against VMI. 2 for the price of one. Let's see tickets $7 a seat, Check. Airfare and rental car $700, check. xlolx

SuperJon
June 7th, 2007, 09:46 PM
We get Presby. This will be fun.

GoldandBlack
June 7th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Interesting- for Homecoming we have Georgia Southern, fresh off a 3-8 season, with a chip on their shoulder, and a new coach with a good system. It's also the next to the last game of the year.

I expect a war.

ngineer
June 7th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Lehigh doesn't really have a 'homecoming weekend'. In reality, the Lafayette Game is our homecoming as more alums come back for that game than any other. The school does sponsor other special weekends--such as "young alumni day", "Upperclass weekend", "Parents Weekend", but no real 'homecoming' per se..

slostang
June 8th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Cal Poly scheduled a real cream puff for homecoming, North Dakota State.xoopsx

andy7171
June 8th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Towson has Hofstra this year. Last year we got throttled by UMass without Schaefer under center. Year before that it was Delaware, which was a great game and a great crowd (11,000)with an even better outcome!

james_lawfirm
June 8th, 2007, 10:21 AM
G-Webb has Charleston Southern on Oct. 27. We had a good win streak on Homecoming until a couple of seasons ago.

I don't understand why they insist on an early kickoff on HC at G-W. I understand that playing night games late in the year is pretty much wasted electricity, but a 3 or 3:30 pm kickoff wouldn't be bad, it would allow for more tailgate time, etc.

Of course, being Appy's HC opponent is just love-frickin-ly!:(

App has to play somebody for HC. Might as well be GW.

Welcome to the ROCK!

yoself09
June 8th, 2007, 12:19 PM
I predict no less that 50,000 will be in attendance for that one
xthumbsupx
jk
hopefully we can break 27,000

Mountaineer#96
June 8th, 2007, 12:31 PM
If GWU draws more than Elon did last year I wouldn't doubt it. 28,000 - 30,000 would be great.

aggie6thman
June 8th, 2007, 12:36 PM
UC Davis scheduled South Dakota State. It is always a good game when we play the Bunnies.

th0m
June 8th, 2007, 02:21 PM
After checking our road teams' sites, it seems Rhode Island has us for their Homecoming.

AndrewFU21
June 8th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Elon is our homecoming game this year, just like the last time the Phoenix came to the upcountry. Family Weekend, which brings in almost as many people as homecoming, is going to be the Coastal Carolina game.

Eyes of Old Main
June 9th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Interesting- for Homecoming we have Georgia Southern, fresh off a 3-8 season, with a chip on their shoulder, and a new coach with a good system. It's also the next to the last game of the year.

I expect a war.

Normally Wofford schedules homecoming for the first home game in October, which this year would have been Gardner-Webb on Oct. 13, but something else was going to be going on in Spartanburg which would have created problems for hotel rooms, etc. I would have thought they'd have done it the next week against Elon and kept it in October.

November seems awfully late for a homecoming, and Georgia Southern isn't your usual homecoming opponent, but if that's what we have, then we'll deal with it.

dbackjon
June 9th, 2007, 02:13 PM
NAU scheduled a cream puff this year for Homecoming - MONTANA...

PantherRob82
June 9th, 2007, 02:44 PM
NAU scheduled a cream puff this year for Homecoming - MONTANA...

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Demon Fan
June 9th, 2007, 03:35 PM
The Demons will be playing host to the Bobcats from Texas State. That will, without a doubt, be a great game!

appfan2008
June 10th, 2007, 07:30 AM
If GWU draws more than Elon did last year I wouldn't doubt it. 28,000 - 30,000 would be great.

as much as i would love to see that and i do believe it is possible with gwu being so close and the way our team has been playing... i just dont know where they all would go... on one of our 24k kind of games last year my fiance and i walked around the hilll in the 3rd quarter to get a feel for all the people and were shocked as to how crowded it really was... there was seriously no room at all

Seawolf97
June 10th, 2007, 03:26 PM
We have Maine on October 20th. Always get a good crowd and luckily we seem to have warm weather. Last year we hosted Albany and in 2005 it was Georgetown. Kick offs are usually 2pm instead of 1pm.
Looking forward to this years game. It should be a good test.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 10th, 2007, 04:57 PM
We have Iona this year. I don't have anything good to say so I'll just not say anything.

Basically, there has been no rhyme or reason to our Homecoming opponent for quite a few years now. Maybe I'm just spoiled because when I was in school we alternated two opponents every other year. The cycle of border rivals Maine and Vermont made for terrific tradition as the foundation of Homecoming. JMHO, but that tradition attracts the alumni during years when your team isn't as successful.

If I had my druthers, UMass would revert to that season ending role and I'd rotate homecoming between Maine and Northeastern. Of all the other CAA North teams, UNH plays Northeastern in more sports than it does URI or Hofstra. And most importantly, UNH plays Maine and Northeastern in Ice Hockey. But to the younger alumni at UNH, Maine is more of "the" rival than UMass because of the hockey rivalry.

RabidRabbit
June 11th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Cal Poly scheduled a real cream puff for homecoming, North Dakota State.xoopsx

Better results than last year's homecoming game xsmiley_wix

2 pts = 2 losses (SDSU & Montana) kept you out of the play-offs last year. xnonono2x

SDSU plays Stephan F Austin for a new homecoming team this year. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

slostang
June 11th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Better results than last year's homecoming game xsmiley_wix

2 pts = 2 losses (SDSU & Montana) kept you out of the play-offs last year. xnonono2x

SDSU plays Stephan F Austin for a new homecoming team this year. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Had to go there RR. Those two games rip my heart out of me and I still have not fully recovered. A win in Brookings this season would go a long way towards a full recovery.xnodx

g-webb1994
June 11th, 2007, 04:01 PM
We get Presby. This will be fun.

Don't overlook them Blue Hose too quickly there SuperJon...they've had some solid years in the SAC recently.

A good religious-based chant at that game, and whenever PC shows up is "They're Calvinists, They're Calvinists, They're pre-destined to LOSE!!":)

Think an upset can't happen? Ask any loyal Furman fan about Newberry in I believe 1985 (although that wasn't homecoming).

bjtheflamesfan
June 11th, 2007, 07:24 PM
LU has not won on homecoming since 2004 (they beat Gardner Webb that year fittingly enough)