PDA

View Full Version : FBS Playing FCS - It's Called a 'W'

TexasTerror
June 7th, 2007, 06:49 AM
The University of Hawaii athletic director who is having his own struggles in filling the schedule (has two FCS foes this year) and has taken a great deal of heat from his state's legislature and the school's fan base, now believes that playing a I-AA (now known as FCS) is "called a 'W'". I hope Chuck South or NoCo shows him what it's really called...

-------------

Meanwhile, Frazier said he is seeking a Division I-AA opponent to complete the 2008 schedule. A I-A team is allowed to count one victory over a I-AA opponent each year toward bowl-qualifying consideration provided the opponent meets certain minimum scholarship requirements set by the NCAA. A team qualifies for a bowl by winning the majority of its games.

Frazier said he wants UH to play a I-AA opponent each year. "It's called a 'W,' " he said. "No question you want to do that."

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070607/SPORTS0201/706070348/1032/SPORTS

BeauFoster
June 7th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Jeeze, Chuck South, please step up and make this guy eat crow. I know that 90% of the time, the FBS team will win, but it would be great to see this dong get called on making such a statement in public.

GannonFan
June 7th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Jeeze, Chuck South, please step up and make this guy eat crow. I know that 90% of the time, the FBS team will win, but it would be great to see this dong get called on making such a statement in public.

Heck, once you through out the Sun Belt games (they're just FBS wannabes anyway) the percentage gets even worse for the FCS teams. I can't blame the guy for saying that the fans expect it to be a "W" - it should be, especially with what Hawaii returns on offense.

PSUVikings
June 7th, 2007, 09:04 AM
It's brutal, but he's right, there are zero FCS schools that would beat UH on that island.

Surprised he went public with that statement

Peems
June 7th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Portland State 45 Hawaii 20, on the island. Those were the days....

OB55
June 7th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Yeah, it is my school, Northern Colorado providing the "W" at Hawaii this year, sheesh! xnonono2xxnonono2x

Guess they wanted that win for sure, and we needed the bucks.

mcveyrl
June 7th, 2007, 11:59 AM
It's brutal, but he's right, there are zero FCS schools that would beat UH on that island.

Surprised he went public with that statement

I agree. It's a (mostly) true statement, but he doesn't need to be broadcasting it.

Plus, the context of the article (not necessarily the way he said it) seems to indicate that not only the fans, but the team counts on it as a win (the context was being able to count it as a bowl eligible win).

I hope ChuckSouth or NoCo clobber them...

BisonBacker
June 7th, 2007, 12:05 PM
The University of Hawaii athletic director who is having his own struggles in filling the schedule (has two FCS foes this year) and has taken a great deal of heat from his state's legislature and the school's fan base, now believes that playing a I-AA (now known as FCS) is "called a 'W'". I hope Chuck South or NoCo shows him what it's really called...

-------------

Meanwhile, Frazier said he is seeking a Division I-AA opponent to complete the 2008 schedule. A I-A team is allowed to count one victory over a I-AA opponent each year toward bowl-qualifying consideration provided the opponent meets certain minimum scholarship requirements set by the NCAA. A team qualifies for a bowl by winning the majority of its games.

Frazier said he wants UH to play a I-AA opponent each year. "It's called a 'W,' " he said. "No question you want to do that."

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070607/SPORTS0201/706070348/1032/SPORTS

Well based on last years performance by UNC he's probably correct on that one. With that being said I hope UNC shows well against them but I won't be holding my breath.

GGASU
June 7th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Hawaii is 4-2 againist I-AA teams since 2000.

I wouldn't call that an automatic W.

already123
June 7th, 2007, 01:05 PM

hardly!

If it was such an automatic "W"...UH wouldnt mind contacting the Montanas, ASU, GSU, etc...
the traditional FCS powers,right? xchinscratchx xchinscratchx

89Hen
June 7th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Heck, once you through out the Sun Belt games (they're just FBS wannabes anyway) the percentage gets even worse for the FCS teams. I can't blame the guy for saying that the fans expect it to be a "W" - it should be, especially with what Hawaii returns on offense.
Agreed, and honestly, no offense to CSU or UNC, but both will struggle to keep this one even close.

g-webb1994
June 7th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Sure hope CSU or Northern Colorado will put that Don Ho loving piece of crap in his place.xprayx Make the s.o.b. want some 'tiny bubbles' of some sort after hanging an L on his beloved team.

Of course, HU could nut up and schedule an Appy, Furman, Montana, etc. and really choke on their leis!

Hawaii.....the only reason they are even a state is out of sympathy after Pearl Harbor. Screw 'em!xmadx

GannonFan
June 7th, 2007, 02:27 PM

hardly!

If it was such an automatic "W"...UH wouldnt mind contacting the Montanas, ASU, GSU, etc...
the traditional FCS powers,right? xchinscratchx xchinscratchx

Funny number check - that's a 4-1 record against I-AA teams as Florida Atlantic in 2004 was already in transition to I-A - they don't count.

Oh, and of those 4 wins, one was an 18 point win against Montana and one was a 23 point win against Appalachian St. The only loss was to that great Portland St team in 2000.

It's more of a "W" because of who Hawaii has this year who they didn't have in previous years - Colt Brennan is a legit Heisman candidate at QB. Heck, they beat an FCS playoff team in EIU by 5 TD's - the games they have this year should be "W"'s.

GannonFan
June 7th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Sure hope CSU or Northern Colorado will put that Don Ho loving piece of crap in his place.xprayx Make the s.o.b. want some 'tiny bubbles' of some sort after hanging an L on his beloved team.

Of course, HU could nut up and schedule an Appy, Furman, Montana, etc. and really choke on their leis!

Hawaii.....the only reason they are even a state is out of sympathy after Pearl Harbor. Screw 'em!xmadx

See above post - they've already scheduled and beaten Montana and Appy St in the past few years.

OB55
June 7th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Agreed, and honestly, no offense to CSU or UNC, but both will struggle to keep this one even close.

Hawaii posters and some UNC posters are predicting 100 points on the Bears. xnonono2x

BeauFoster
June 7th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Funny number check - that's a 4-1 record against I-AA teams as Florida Atlantic in 2004 was already in transition to I-A - they don't count.

Oh, and of those 4 wins, one was an 18 point win against Montana and one was a 23 point win against Appalachian St. The only loss was to that great Portland St team in 2000.

It's more of a "W" because of who Hawaii has this year who they didn't have in previous years - Colt Brennan is a legit Heisman candidate at QB. Heck, they beat an FCS playoff team in EIU by 5 TD's - the games they have this year should be "W"'s.

App sucked somethin' awful that year, not winning a game on the road. Don't take that as an arguement to your points, it wasn't meant to be. It was just the homer in me rearing its ugly head. xthumbsupx

BigApp
June 7th, 2007, 02:49 PM
if you guys ever get the chance to go to a game there, you should. Their tailgating is VERY underrated. I was pleasantly surprised at their level of TG'ing.

UH wore us out with the 1st quarter blitzkreig, and BF is right, App was NOT a very good team that year, and IIRC they had several NFL players on the roster at the time.

BigApp
June 7th, 2007, 02:50 PM

Hey man, that ain't kosher. xsmhx

BeauFoster
June 7th, 2007, 02:57 PM
if you guys ever get the chance to go to a game there, you should. Their tailgating is VERY underrated. I was pleasantly surprised at their level of TG'ing.

UH wore us out with the 1st quarter blitzkreig, and BF is right, App was NOT a very good team that year, and IIRC they had several NFL players on the roster at the time.

We should clarify that it was ASU's defense that was subpar. The team was littered with freshmen and offensive players converted to defense. UH had the same high-powered offense that year (just not quite as hot as the past 2 seasons) and wore the Mountaineers down to nothing.

Mountaineer#96
June 7th, 2007, 03:07 PM
App sucked somethin' awful that year, not winning a game on the road. Don't take that as an arguement to your points, it wasn't meant to be. It was just the homer in me rearing its ugly head. xthumbsupx

We played them in 2003 not 2004, although we sorta had the same team then. The trip to UH was something I'll remember for the rest of my life. We were without much of our defense for the first two games, Nygel Rodgers had tore his knee up real bad a week before this game as well as a few other injuries in summer practice. The 2004 team which I was a part of is the team who did not win on the road. xsmhx

GannonFan
June 7th, 2007, 03:09 PM

Gotta keep these quotes handy for the next smack board discussion - this was a team that went 6-2 in the SoCon that year - go figure! :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

89Hen
June 7th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Hawaii posters and some UNC posters are predicting 100 points on the Bears. xnonono2x
UNC gave up 40+ five times last year including 53 and 54 to finish off the season (all against I-AA teams). UH scored 656 points last year going over 60 four times (all against I-A teams). It probably will be over 100.

already123
June 7th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I'm not gonna lie...I would love to see them score over 100

only because I have only done it when I play my NCAA07 xlolx

PMB4Life
June 7th, 2007, 04:18 PM
It's always called a "W" when you schedule the Northern Colorados and Charleston Southerns of FCS. That's like UNI scheduling Ball State, Ohio, UL Monroe and Iowa State and saying "FBS means W. B**ches."

PSUVikings
June 7th, 2007, 05:52 PM

EXACTLY!!!! And on top of that, UM's best team in the past what 7 years? couldn't beat a UH team that isn't half of the current team they are now. All aside the AD should have shut his mouth on that one.

IaaScribe
June 7th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Chuck South will be lucky to stay within 70 of Hawaii.

PantherRob82
June 7th, 2007, 06:36 PM
so winning 66% of the time is a sure W? xconfusedx

PSUVikings
June 7th, 2007, 06:46 PM
so winning 66% of the time is a sure W? xconfusedx

From what I read they lost to FAU along with PSU, FAU is now an FBS school and PSU beat UH in a rebuilding year, I would know I was at the game. This UH team, 6 years later, has beaten schools by 60 and that's with them holding back in the 4th. UH will hurt UNC and CSU I think they have every right to think its an easy win, but like I said earlier, all aside, their AD should have shut up on that comment.

PantherRob82
June 7th, 2007, 06:52 PM
they aren't exactly a powerhouse playing good teams. Their schedule is usually pretty weak.

Go...gate
June 7th, 2007, 06:56 PM

-------------

Are you listening, Dave Roach (Colgate Athletic Director)? What a great road trip that would be!!

PSUVikings
June 7th, 2007, 07:00 PM
they aren't exactly a powerhouse playing good teams. Their schedule is usually pretty weak.

True but since these losses UH has beaten schools like Alabama, Arizona State, etc. Do a little research on this team and its players, they aren't #12 in the country for nothing.

already123
June 7th, 2007, 09:34 PM
beating ASU last year was DEFINITELY NOT one of their highlights last year...
ASU was slightly above average at best last year

BigApp
June 7th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Gotta keep these quotes handy for the next smack board discussion - this was a team that went 6-2 in the SoCon that year - go figure!

I think you should! Considering one of the teams we lost to that year...but that would kinda dampen your argument if you did keep it

Keeper
June 8th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Hawaii has open dates on Oct 20 & Nov 3.

Who are the candidates out there?
What FCS teams have openings for those dates?

T-Dog
June 8th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Are you listening, Dave Roach (Colgate Athletic Director)? What a great road trip that would be!!

Just remember to schedule a bye week after that. The players will need it badly.

BeauFoster
June 8th, 2007, 05:42 AM
We played them in 2003 not 2004, although we sorta had the same team then. The trip to UH was something I'll remember for the rest of my life. We were without much of our defense for the first two games, Nygel Rodgers had tore his knee up real bad a week before this game as well as a few other injuries in summer practice. The 2004 team which I was a part of is the team who did not win on the road. xsmhx

How did I get that mixed up? I (barely) remember watching the game on FSN, but seeing that it didn't start until very late, and I started pretty early, I was a little hazy. I knew that our D was pretty hard hit that year, guess I got the years mixed up. xthumbsupx

BeauFoster
June 8th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Just remember to schedule a bye week after that. The players will need it badly.

Dead on with that, as I am sure #96 could attest. I remember talking to a few people close to the team later on in the year and they remarked that the travel took a lot out of everyone, including the support staff.

TexasTerror
June 8th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Hawaii has open dates on Oct 20 & Nov 3.

Who are the candidates out there?
What FCS teams have openings for those dates?

Apparently, Frazier extended the deadline yesterday on getting that 13th game and one is in a BCS conference, the other is an FBS school. A $700,000 payout plus a TV game. Shoot, I'd take it!