PDA

View Full Version : What if?

PSUVikings
June 6th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Was thinking about the App State Michigan game this year, last year MSU beating lowly Colorado got so much buzz, what if, though a very long shot, ASU were to beat Michigan? Would we witness the biggest press any FCS team has ever gotten? I mean in reality ASU probably will get d, but what if.......

AppGuy04
June 6th, 2007, 08:59 PM
haha, don't give me wood like that

Seawolf97
June 6th, 2007, 09:04 PM
It would certainly be good for FCS and App. State-but Michigan ain't no Colorado.

ASU_Chad
June 6th, 2007, 09:05 PM
It would be earth shattering, IMHO. But I think more emphasis would be put on how poorly Michigan played rather than how well App played. It would be seen as a single event that would never happen again for APP and be a black eye to the Wolverines for years. Everyone in FCS land please pray that we pull the big one off at the Big House for the next 80 or so days...

Seawolf97
June 6th, 2007, 09:15 PM
I would like to see you win. You are the FCS Champion and win like that would go along way for everyone. Even if the press played it as you say seeing Michigan playing a poor game rather than APP State playing their best.

already123
June 6th, 2007, 09:38 PM
That would be amazing...Monumental even. I mean imagine an FCS team knocking off the predicted big ten winner...!!! But if they follow suit like MSU did, they would lose to that DII team they play next week.
sorry Bobcats, but seriously...how did you manage to pull that one off ? lol

ngineer
June 6th, 2007, 10:59 PM
On Any Given Saturday the unthinkable can happen. There have been some huge close calls over the years, and Michigan has been known for not playing well against teams viewed as 'below their level'. It would be great for the FCS, especially after last year's wins by MSU and UNH over 'big time' programs. But I agree the majority would focus on UM not playing well.

CopperCat
June 7th, 2007, 12:06 AM
All these guys at ESPN that say FCS (they all still say I-AA) isn't worth devoting much time to would probably eat their words.......

I said it once but I'll say it again: I don't like ASU, but if they show up and give Michigan all they can handle, it will be a good for all of us in FCS. I hope they put the fear in the wolverines for at least a quarter or two.

Fresno St. Alum
June 7th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Lets just say that App St. beat Michigan, would App St. be allowed in the AP or ESPN top 25 the next week?

CSUBUCDAD
June 7th, 2007, 05:52 AM
haha, don't give me wood like that

Heck, if that were to happen the whole FCS world would have some serious wood man. Now, how bout CSU pulling a serious upset at Hawaii? Would that be unreal or what?

PSUVikings
June 7th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Heck, if that were to happen the whole FCS world would have some serious wood man. Now, how bout CSU pulling a serious upset at Hawaii? Would that be unreal or what?

Like I said it would be incredible. But in reality we will all probably just get hurt. Good pay day though.

MYTAPPY
June 7th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Does anybody have any inside info on whether or not this game will be televised??

89Hen
June 7th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Would we witness the biggest press any FCS team has ever gotten?
Is that a rhetorical question? xconfusedx :p The answer is most definitely yes, but I think the chances are 1 in a Million... so you're saying there's a chance.

SunCoastBlueHen
June 7th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Most of the press would be about whether or not Lloyd Carr should keep his job.

LBPop
June 7th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Realistically I think the best that can be hoped for would be for Appy to scare the Wolverines by taking an early lead, but eventually depth and size will rule.

Of course, those Michigan kids could be looking at this as a pre-season scrimmage and who can blame them with the names that show up on their schedule every year? When they were recruited, I'm sure they weren't swayed by the opportunity to play against Appalachian State. xrolleyesx

CopperCat
June 7th, 2007, 11:36 AM

That would be SICK.

Except you don't have near enough CB's to keep up with their aerial attack all game.....I'll be rooting for ya'll though for sure!!!xthumbsupx

CSUBUCDAD
June 7th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Does anybody have any inside info on whether or not this game will be televised??

I read somewhere when the CSU vs UH game was announced that it would be televised but be darn if I can remember where. It will be 11pm for us east coasters too. Gonna be a late night for sure.

already123
June 7th, 2007, 01:08 PM
A friend of mine is going to be playing for Mich next year (Woolfolk). Between that and NAU playing ASU next year...I'm gonna have to go with big blue on this one. sorry...

Mountaineer#96
June 7th, 2007, 01:32 PM
it would be an ESPN instant classic

g-webb1994
June 7th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Lloyd Carr wouldn't have the option to retire at season's end, he would be unemployed before Labor Day Monday.

A very nice thought, come to think of it....:)

TheCatamount
June 7th, 2007, 01:52 PM
It would be blown up pretty huge. I'd like to see it because it would give the FCS a lot of exposure

BeauFoster
June 7th, 2007, 02:08 PM

Yeah, they could play David Jackson's radio comentary coupled with the ASU game film! xlolx

BigApp
June 7th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Michigan ain't no Colorado.

they both have the same number of NC's in the last 50 years (1) and both are .500 bowl teams...

but, I know what you mean...xsmiley_wix

Cobblestone
June 7th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Was thinking about the App State Michigan game this year, last year MSU beating lowly Colorado got so much buzz, what if, though a very long shot, ASU were to beat Michigan? Would we witness the biggest press any FCS team has ever gotten? I mean in reality ASU probably will get d, but what if.......

I'd have to say yes. And if that does happen we'd better ALL pay a visit to this board that night with our congrats.

JALMOND
June 7th, 2007, 08:46 PM
I just want to see what the betting line will be before kickoff. I would hope, with the FCS champions playing a school like Michigan, respectfully it should be four touchdowns. Any more would be an insult to all of us.

Any way, being that Montana State was talked about for almost a week (and their loss to Chadron was also mentioned quite a bit the next week), I would say App State would be talked about for just as long (in other words, until the next game).

appfan2008
June 7th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Lets just say that App St. beat Michigan, would App St. be allowed in the AP or ESPN top 25 the next week?

I sure hope so because that is exactly where they would belong...

GoldandBlack
June 7th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Simply put, it would remain the "Upset of the Century" for quite a while, at least in the sports press.

WUTNDITWAA
June 7th, 2007, 09:05 PM

Naah. One day it would be the subject of "Top five reasons you can't blame..."

AppFan61
June 8th, 2007, 06:56 AM
I remeber one of the press releases when the game was scheduled that said ESPN would announce the game time no sooner than 6 days prior to the scheduled date.

terrierbob
June 8th, 2007, 08:19 AM
I know South Carolina isn't Michigan, but it was a hoot when we (Wofford) were down 27-20 and within their 20 yard line with about a minute to go last year. Spurrier was pissed. I'm glad we didn't celebrate it as a "moral victory".
I will be rooting for a Mountaineer victory, for sure!

CID1990
June 8th, 2007, 10:09 AM

Appy beating Michgan would be huge, and I for one would be very happy about it. However, nobody should set themselves up for disappointment by thinking that it would be treated as anything more than a fluke, and it would be largely forgotten after the season except for at App State and Michigan.

Consider this when trying to determine how the media would treat an App State victory:

Between 1988 and 1992, The Citadel beat several BCS (now) teams including Navy (twice), Army (twice), South Carolina and Arkansas. Navy and Army were not very good back then, but the South Carolina and Arkansas upsets were given short shrift. In fact, the media hubbub over the Arkansas win centered around how Arkansas fired their coach immediately after the game. Both the USC and the Arkansas wins were briefly touched on by the national sports news people, but the general gist was that it was a fluke, ho-hum, now on to other news......

An App State win over Michigan would be much bigger than The Citadel's wins over USC or Arkansas, but rest assured that there would be more media coverage of the fallout at Michigan than there would be over how great App State is. That's just how it goes in a world where FCS is viewed by most mainstream sports people as an inferior league, with occasional moments of wild luck, i.e: an upset of a BCS team.

CID1990
June 8th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Another thing to consider is that App State would then have a hard time getting onto BCS schedules for quite some time after that. Navy and Army still refuse to play us, and Clemson dropped us from consideration for subsequent seasons. I seem to remember that the official line had something to do with scheduling problems within the ACC, but everyone knew it was because of the wins over USC and Ark.

WUTNDITWAA
June 8th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Another thing to consider is that App State would then have a hard time getting onto BCS schedules for quite some time after that. Navy and Army still refuse to play us, and Clemson dropped us from consideration for subsequent seasons. I seem to remember that the official line had something to do with scheduling problems within the ACC, but everyone knew it was because of the wins over USC and Ark.

Geeesh. We're having a tough enough time trying to get FCS schools on our schedule. We'd best lose to Michigan if we know what's good for us. xwhistlex :D

Saint3333
June 8th, 2007, 04:16 PM

Too late we've got LSU, UGA, VaTech, and Florida on the schedule 2009 - 2013.

already123
June 8th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Too late we've got LSU, UGA, VaTech, and Florida on the schedule 2009 - 2013.

HAHA....good luck with thosexcoffeex

windwalker
June 8th, 2007, 05:28 PM
If App State beats Michigan... All I could say is

HOT - HOT - HOT

:)

ucdtim17
June 8th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Appy beating Michgan would be huge, and I for one would be very happy about it. However, nobody should set themselves up for disappointment by thinking that it would be treated as anything more than a fluke, and it would be largely forgotten after the season except for at App State and Michigan.

Consider this when trying to determine how the media would treat an App State victory:

Between 1988 and 1992, The Citadel beat several BCS (now) teams including Navy (twice), Army (twice), South Carolina and Arkansas. Navy and Army were not very good back then, but the South Carolina and Arkansas upsets were given short shrift. In fact, the media hubbub over the Arkansas win centered around how Arkansas fired their coach immediately after the game. Both the USC and the Arkansas wins were briefly touched on by the national sports news people, but the general gist was that it was a fluke, ho-hum, now on to other news......

An App State win over Michigan would be much bigger than The Citadel's wins over USC or Arkansas, but rest assured that there would be more media coverage of the fallout at Michigan than there would be over how great App State is. That's just how it goes in a world where FCS is viewed by most mainstream sports people as an inferior league, with occasional moments of wild luck, i.e: an upset of a BCS team.

That was a long time ago - college football is a bigger deal now and the level of coverage is not comparable.

ASU
June 9th, 2007, 07:31 AM
If App State beats Michigan... All I could say is

HOT - HOT - HOT

:)

I just knew someone was going to say that. Appalachian State IS Hot!
Hot! Hot! .... when they beat Michigan that will just make them Hotter!
Probably right though....I heard just this past year that Marshall, Ball State, Kent State, and several other schools refused or changed their minds about playing App State. Some other really big time football programs put off playing them ....maybe not because they thought they would lose to them, but thought it would be too close. Still hard to believe that they just finalized their schedule just the other day.

appfan2008
June 9th, 2007, 08:23 AM

i think a win by app over michigan would be much bigger than those for a number of reasons...
1) asu is two time defending national champions at our level... citadel was no where close to that
2) michigan is possibly historically the number one football program in the country and this coming year will be a top ten team.... i usc and ark are not that highly regarded historically and probably werent that highly rated that year
3) college football has changed since then and so has the news media... it would be the number one story everywhere and even if it is played off as a michigan disastor it still will be noted that asu is good... or at least that is what i am telling myself!

Saint3333
June 9th, 2007, 09:30 AM
HAHA....good luck with thosexcoffeex

No one said ASU would win these, but they are a lot of fun for the alumni to visit these great atmospheres on gameday. It's great for recruiting as well. When you're able to tell a kid that you'll get to play at three of the following venues: Michigan, LSU, UGA, VaTech, Florida it really peaks their interest.

I was really excited about playing NAU in Boone when we signed the deal. I respected their program, but after the last month's interaction with their fans on this board, I'm really looking forward to showing the jacks what football at the ROCK is all about.

I doubt you'll be there though xrolleyesx.

already123
June 9th, 2007, 01:19 PM
No one said ASU would win these, but they are a lot of fun for the alumni to visit these great atmospheres on gameday. It's great for recruiting as well. When you're able to tell a kid that you'll get to play at three of the following venues: Michigan, LSU, UGA, VaTech, Florida it really peaks their interest.

I was really excited about playing NAU in Boone when we signed the deal. I respected their program, but after the last month's interaction with their fans on this board, I'm really looking forward to showing the jacks what football at the ROCK is all about.

Most wont, but I'll be there! I've got family in Brevard/Ashville area...not too far from boone.

Anyone wanna give me a heads up as to the nearest airport I should fly into??xreadx

SirApp
June 9th, 2007, 01:37 PM

Them be fightin' words!

SirApp
June 9th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Most wont, but I'll be there! I've got family in Brevard/Ashville area...not too far from boone.

Anyone wanna give me a heads up as to the nearest airport I should fly into??xreadx

Winstom-Salem/Greensboro, Hickory, or Charlotte. Maybe even the Johnson City, Tennessee area...not too sure about flights around there though.

already123
June 9th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Thanks!

I think Greensboro is the better bet...Charlotte seems a bit far