PDA

View Full Version : Lawsuit against MSU?

CopperCat
June 4th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I just saw a segment on the news where Kramer may file a lawsuit against MSU for wrongful termination. Don't know much more than that, but will post more where it becomes available.

Grizo406
June 4th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Wonder who he'll hire as his lawyer?!!?xwhistlex xwhistlex ;)

Cleets
June 4th, 2007, 07:54 PM
It's really popular for coaches to go after their school (legally) for getting canned... xcoffeex

CopperCat
June 4th, 2007, 08:35 PM
It's really popular for coaches to go after their school (legally) for getting canned... xcoffeex

But this one isn't like the rest. I don't know what to think about it.

james_lawfirm
June 4th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Wonder who he'll hire as his lawyer?!!?xwhistlex xwhistlex ;)

I'll do it for free.

Just kidding.

Grizalltheway
June 4th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Here's an article about it in the Helena Insufficient Record

http://www.helenair.com/articles/2007/06/04/sports/000akrame.txt

His lawyer is none other Cliff Edwards, the father of Johnny Montana himself. xlolx

Hopefully he'll donate some of the loot he gets from this to the UM athletic department. :D

Grizalltheway
June 4th, 2007, 09:14 PM
And yes, the idiot who wrote this said Dale Lennon is the coach of NDSU, as he has already done several times. xbangx xbangx

CrazyCat
June 4th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Here is an updated story on the press conferece.

"Kramer says he wants compensation for being fired

Kramer spoke publicly about his dismissal for the first time in a news conference with attorney Cliff Edwards at Edwards' Billings office, as university officials prepared to begin interviewing four finalists for his job. He was ousted by school officials in mid-May, after seven seasons during which he compiled a 40-43 record.

Edwards said Kramer's contract was breached and his career tainted, leaving MSU with "substantial monetary and legal exposure that need to be addressed." Speaking with MSU officials about compensation is the appropriate first step, and helping Kramer "reclaim his good name" is one of the goals, said Edwards, adding that a lawsuit had not been filed."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBC_BOBCATS_KRAMER_FIRED_MTOL-?SITE=MTBOZ&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

BigApp
June 4th, 2007, 09:27 PM
mmm, this won't be a good harbinger for getting another job anytime soon

youwouldno
June 4th, 2007, 10:28 PM
I agree it's a dumb move to sue. Even if he does win, I don't see how his reputation would be restored... it would just mean MSU signed a bad contract.

Green26
June 4th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Kramer's attorney is one of the best and most successful plaintiffs lawyers in Montana. Another of his high profile clients is Tom Brokaw. Montana is a very litigious state and the law, most judges and juries tend to protect employees. Since Kramer had a contract, I would think this would really be a breach of contract case, not wrongful termination. I wonder what vague contract provision MSU invoked. I wonder if they sought legal advice in advance of the firing. For their sake, I hope so. Kramer's lawyer is also a Griz fan and his son was the Griz qb when UM won the nat'l championship in 2001. His son is currently in law school at UM. For those who have read, in the UM thread at the top of this forum, about the anonymous donor who donated the sprin turf for the new field, you may not have to search further for the donor.

CopperCat
June 4th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Kramer's attorney is one of the best and most successful plaintiffs lawyers in Montana. Another of his high profile clients is Tom Brokaw. Montana is a very litigious state and the law, most judges and juries tend to protect employees. Since Kramer had a contract, I would think this would really be a breach of contract case, not wrongful termination. I wonder what vague contract provision MSU invoked. I wonder if they sought legal advice in advance of the firing. For their sake, I hope so. Kramer's lawyer is also a Griz fan and his son was the Griz qb when UM won the nat'l championship in 2001. His son is currently in law school at UM. For those who have read, in the UM thread at the top of this forum, about the anonymous donor who donated the sprin turf for the new field, you may not have to search further for the donor.

Yeah yeah, enough about your rich alumni and your beloved Johnny Montana.

MSU messed up in the way they handled this. It may have been Kramer's time to go, but that doesn't mean that he didn't get screwed. I certainly hope that Fields sought legal advice before he fired Kramer. This is ugly any way you look at it. I don't like it one bit.

OB55
June 5th, 2007, 02:26 PM
IMO, this will turn out to be real spendy for MSU, he has a case. xcoolx

CopperCat
June 5th, 2007, 06:47 PM
IMO, this will turn out to be real spendy for MSU, he has a case. xcoolx

He does have a case. MSU is hosed. Maybe if they cut Fields' salary they can pay for part of the lawsuit.

CatFan22
June 5th, 2007, 07:16 PM
He does have a case. MSU is hosed. Maybe if they cut Fields' salary they can pay for part of the lawsuit.

I plan on overthrowing him and taking his job here soon. xthumbsupx

CopperCat
June 5th, 2007, 09:13 PM

When you have done that, incite mutiny in the ranks so that we can fire Gamble too. When ya clean house, ya clean house!!!

OB55
June 5th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Fields is a worm, just take a look at him, sheesh!

catbob
June 5th, 2007, 10:30 PM

After 2 and a half weeks in my Marketing 431 class, I can safely say I am qualified to be marketing director... hint hint.

WyomingGrizFan
June 6th, 2007, 03:22 AM
I have to admit, Louie the Lizard has some mighty good points in his favor. There's some tough competition out there 'catbob.'

CatFan22
June 6th, 2007, 08:14 AM
After 2 and a half weeks in my Marketing 431 class, I can safely say I am qualified to be marketing director... hint hint.

Done. :)

Montanan
June 6th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Question...
Everyone appears to be putting the blame for this debacle on President Gamble and AD Fields, and since the final decision or action was theirs they deserve to be scrutinized.

My question: Do you believe fans are also somewhat culpable because of the pressures applied on coaches and admins to win?

Hansel
June 6th, 2007, 10:57 AM
nice to see "team Kramer" is avoiding any mention of the Academic problems during MK's tenure

CopperCat
June 6th, 2007, 02:23 PM
nice to see "team Kramer" is avoiding any mention of the Academic problems during MK's tenure

Your distaste for Kramer (and probably MSU in general) blinds you from what Kramer is trying to say.

Hansel
June 6th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Your distaste for Kramer (and probably MSU in general) blinds you from what Kramer is trying to say.
On coaching ability Kramer is overrated IMHO, coupled with the fact that his players have low graduation rates, and (some) tend to commit serious crimes (in Bozeman) either during their playing days or shortly after leads me to think he should go.

It would be nice to see Kramer take some responsibility for what was going on. I work at MSU, I just think the university and football team will be better off with a new coach.

CopperCat
June 6th, 2007, 03:12 PM
On coaching ability Kramer is overrated IMHO, coupled with the fact that his players have low graduation rates, and (some) tend to commit serious crimes (in Bozeman) either during their playing days or shortly after leads me to think he should go.

It would be nice to see Kramer take some responsibility for what was going on. I work at MSU, I just think the university and football team will be better off with a new coach.

Are you saying that hypothetically or do you actually work at MSU?

Hansel
June 6th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Are you saying that hypothetically or do you actually work at MSU?
Si'

CopperCat
June 6th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Si'

Which one is it?

Hansel
June 6th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Which one is it?
dos

AZGrizFan
June 6th, 2007, 03:25 PM
dos

He's a little slow, Hansel....after all, he IS a Bobcat fan. :D :D :D :D

Bobcat in NC
June 8th, 2007, 07:16 AM

1. Overrated - I disagree. His leadership and ability to get the state excited about Bobcat football again can't be discounted. However, I was disturbed by 2 things: His teams' performance in the "easy" games and their inability to drop below 4 losses per season (that's why I think the current job candidates will be an improvement).

2. Graduation rates/APR - I agree completely and have a huge issue with this. For this reason alone, I now see his firing as completely justified, even necessary. For this reason, I also see even more of a need for Fields' feet to be held to the fire. Academic performance should be the responsibility of the whole group (coaches, administrators, university officials), and they've failed miserably.

3. Current player legal problems - Once again, I agree. While it's not his job to babysit these players 24/7, the head coach must take at least part of the hit.

4. Former player legal problems - Unimportant. A former player is a former player and Kramer has absolutely no control on their actions after they leave the program, nor should he be held accountable for such actions. That would be like indicting Ohio State's coaching staff for the actions of that (not naming him on purpose) former running back. Just doesn't make sense to me.

As a whole, though, I agree that a change was necessary. My knee-jerk reaction to Fields' apparent knee-jerk reaction was outrage but time, facts that have come out since then and the 4 outstanding finalists for the coaching position have tempered my opinion.