PDA

View Full Version : MEAC - No Plans for Expansion

TexasTerror
June 4th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Is North Carolina Central going to be able to get into the MEAC? Seems MEAC fans think that expansion is closed til the MEAC figures out what it wants to do. I didn't think Savannah State would have a chance to get into the MEAC, but it seems NCCU has hit some sort of road block as well.

MEAC Commish is not sure what he wants. He wants a MEAC title game and the return of the Heritage Bowl. Some of the power players as it relates to successful football teams don't want any of that.

So, what's the deal?

http://community.meacfans.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5501054881/m/3151048483

813Jag
June 4th, 2007, 08:43 PM
The Heritage Bowl was a good idea. The execution wasn't right. But I don't blame anybody for wanting to go to the playoffs if they won a conference chanpionship. I don't see the MEAC committing their champ to play the SWAC champ in a bowl game.

Mr. Tiger
June 4th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I think North Carolina Central will join the MEAC because they were once a member and they are in the Carolinas so they fit in perfectly. The MEAC commish should give up on the idea of the Heritage Bowl or a title game because most fans and alums of Hampton, FAMU, and South Carolina State are against this idea and those schools and Delaware State are the MEAC's best football programs right now. The commish wants to generate money with a title and bowl game, but he doesn't have the support.

Fresno St. Alum
June 4th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Me,Mr.C, and some others said that NCCU was a lock for the MEAC. Is it the 13 team thing that has stopped the expansion talks. What will happen to NCCU will they be the next Savannah St. now?

TexasTerror
June 5th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Me,Mr.C, and some others said that NCCU was a lock for the MEAC. Is it the 13 team thing that has stopped the expansion talks. What will happen to NCCU will they be the next Savannah St. now?

It's mainly an issue of the MEAC Commish is not in touch with reality and what his football powers want... without thinking of an alternative or a plan that makes all of his power players happy...

813Jag
June 5th, 2007, 07:54 AM
It's mainly an issue of the MEAC Commish is not in touch with reality and what his football powers want... without thinking of an alternative or a plan that makes all of his power players happy...
I think he wants the best of two worlds, but that isn't going to happen. The top teams in the conference wants the playoffs and he wants the Heritage Bowl (which had run it's course by the time it ended).

Lehigh Football Nation
June 5th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Partial repost from another thread:

At some point, the MEAC schools are going to have some sort of schism. Do we want to be a playoff school, or SWAC lite? The faultlines are not obvious, but they appear to be there.

From this meeting, it seems like the MEAC still doesn't know what it wants to be.

I think at some point, there's a breakup or another football division. Perhaps the MEAC keeps all the basketball schools, and the MEAC breaks up - just a hunch. Maybe it breaks up like this:

MEAC (still in playoffs)
Hampton
SC State
Norfolk State
Delaware State
Morgan State
NCCU?

SWEAC (play SWAC/MEAC OOC, play "Black Championship Game")
FAMU
B-CC
Howard
NC A&T
WSSU
+ maybe others (Savannah State?)

I moved the teams around some, but you get the idea. FAMU, Howard, NC A&T stop trying to make playoff-worthy teams and instead focus on the SWAC, while the teams most interesting in the playoffs remain with an autobid.

Unfortunately, it looks like weak leadership is just muddling the issue further.

Mr. Tiger
June 5th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Partial repost from another thread:

From this meeting, it seems like the MEAC still doesn't know what it wants to be.

I moved the teams around some, but you get the idea. FAMU, Howard, NC A&T stop trying to make playoff-worthy teams and instead focus on the SWAC, while the teams most interesting in the playoffs remain with an autobid.

Unfortunately, it looks like weak leadership is just muddling the issue further.

I don't think FAMU stopped trying to make playoff-worthy teams. They simply made a mistake in trying to move up to FBS a few years ago. They also changed coaches and that hurt their program. They will be back. I saw good signs of that last year. I think you can put them on the playoff side. And as long as Hampton, FAMU, South Carolina State, and Delaware State's leadership stay on the playoff side there is little chance of a title and bowl game. The MEAC commish is just looking to increase revenue.

HIU 93
June 5th, 2007, 10:26 AM
NCCU will get in, but not immediately. There will be no further expansion. The MEAC champ will continue to play in the playoffs unless there is a contract that is independent of the conference (similar to the Bayou) and a SERIOUS payout per team (more than a couple of million). In other words, there will be no Heritage Bowl redux.

Fresno St. Alum
June 5th, 2007, 12:01 PM
HIU, How long do you think it will take for the MEAC to add NCCU? 2010?

HIU 93
June 5th, 2007, 12:20 PM
HIU, How long do you think it will take for the MEAC to add NCCU? 2010?

Somewhere around then. Maybe even 2009. It won't be long.

aztecjim
June 5th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I have mentioned several times that I think their should be a re-alignment of the HBCU schools into three conferences. Just for the simple fact of getting a third share of tourney money. I don't know the actual money sharing deal but,for instance,in the SWAC if each school presently gets 10 percent of the pie, then it makes sense that having a conference with only 8 schools increases your share. The SWAC goes to eight schools
The new "South Coast Conference" could have Alabama State,Alabama A&M, Tennessee State,FAMU,B-CC,W-SSU,NCCU, and maybe Savannah State. The MEAC keeps Norfolk State,Hampton,etc. The exact schools in each group is flexible but the idea of a third conference could work.

HIU 93
June 5th, 2007, 01:23 PM
I have mentioned several times that I think their should be a re-alignment of the HBCU schools into three conferences. Just for the simple fact of getting a third share of tourney money. I don't know the actual money sharing deal but,for instance,in the SWAC if each school presently gets 10 percent of the pie, then it makes sense that having a conference with only 8 schools increases your share. The SWAC goes to eight schools
The new "South Coast Conference" could have Alabama State,Alabama A&M, Tennessee State,FAMU,B-CC,W-SSU,NCCU, and maybe Savannah State. The MEAC keeps Norfolk State,Hampton,etc. The exact schools in each group is flexible but the idea of a third conference could work.

That destroys historical rivals. Besides, what is the benefit? There is only so much money to go around, and the MEAC is still interested in plying in the playoffs.

Mr. Tiger
June 5th, 2007, 04:26 PM

I don't see any re-alignment on the horizon. The SWAC may one day add two more schools to make 12. I think most SWAC fans would like to see Tuskegee and Tennessee State in the conference, but Tuskegee's current leadership is against moving up and Tennessee State is concerned about geography. Both schools have historic rivals in the SWAC. It is possible but not likely.

aztecjim
June 5th, 2007, 05:42 PM
I don't have any set plan for which schools would be in which conference so most every rivalry could stay intact. Since each team would be playing fewer conference games that opens up non-conference slot to play a rival no longer in your conference. As for the money. Not just football but how about an extra share of the mens' basketball pie?

Fresno St. Alum
June 5th, 2007, 05:44 PM
aztecjim did you find the schools you were missing in FCS?

Fresno St. Alum
June 5th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I don't see any re-alignment on the horizon. The SWAC may one day add two more schools to make 12. I think most SWAC fans would like to see Tuskegee and Tennessee State in the conference, but Tuskegee's current leadership is against moving up and Tennessee State is concerned about geography. Both schools have historic rivals in the SWAC. It is possible but not likely.

I thought that Morehouse & Albany St. would be a good for the SWAC if they went to 12

aztecjim
June 5th, 2007, 06:51 PM
aztecjim did you find the schools you were missing in FCS?

No. I am still at 124 the time being. 116 full FCS members(I include WKU at the moment). 8 in the process(UC-D, NDSU, SDSU, USD, UND, Presby, NCCU, and W-SSU.)
In I-AAA I have 90 full members(including ODU and Campbell) plus 12 in the process(UVSU, CSU-B, NJIT, Kenessaw State, Longwood, UNF, FGCU, USC-U, Seattle, HBU, OCU, and SIU-E) Several schools like Seattle aren't even officially in the process yet but I count them.
In FBS I have 119 full members. I try not to include Buffalo but I guess I have to:D

bandit
June 5th, 2007, 08:13 PM
No. I am still at 124 the time being. 116 full FCS members(I include WKU at the moment). 8 in the process(UC-D, NDSU, SDSU, USD, UND, Presby, NCCU, and W-SSU.)
In I-AAA I have 90 full members(including ODU and Campbell) plus 12 in the process(UVSU, CSU-B, NJIT, Kenessaw State, Longwood, UNF, FGCU, USC-U, Seattle, HBU, OCU, and SIU-E) Several schools like Seattle aren't even officially in the process yet but I count them.
In FBS I have 119 full members. I try not to include Buffalo but I guess I have to:D

Who is OCU (sorry if i'm being a bit dense.....)

aztecjim
June 5th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Oklahoma City U. They were D-I in basketball(no football) Moved to NAIA and became a powerhouse. They are moving back to D-I.

bandit
June 5th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Gotcha! Thanks for the response. What conference (Summit, I assume)?

TexasTerror
June 5th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Gotcha! Thanks for the response. What conference (Summit, I assume)?

OCU would be a good fit in the Summit League with Oral Roberts already nearby as a suitable travel partner...

It'll be interesting to follow these next few years as Centenary would prefer to be in the Southland due to travel-related/budgetary costs, but the SLC may not budge with expansion (pends movement of current schools, especially as it relates to football)...

813Jag
June 5th, 2007, 09:13 PM
I thought that Morehouse & Albany St. would be a good for the SWAC if they went to 12

I don't think the SWAC will expand into Georgia. I think they had their eyes on Tennessee State and Tuskegee or FAMU.

TexasTerror
June 5th, 2007, 09:55 PM
I don't think the SWAC will expand into Georgia. I think they had their eyes on Tennessee State and Tuskegee or FAMU.

Long road trips ahead for the SWAC if they go that route...

I know in 2005, TxSo busses to Savannah St, followed by going further north for Hampton and Coppin St. What a schlep! On the bright side, two of that team's four wins (one was against a sub-Div I squad) for the whole regular season came on that trip...

813Jag
June 5th, 2007, 10:05 PM

I know in 2005, TxSo busses to Savannah St, followed by going further north for Hampton and Coppin St. What a schlep! On the bright side, two of that team's four wins (one was against a sub-Div I squad) for the whole regular season came on that trip...
Anywhere outside of the current footprint is a long road trip for the Texas schools.

3rd Coast Tiger
June 5th, 2007, 10:10 PM

What are you talking about TT? Texas Southern busses to Savanah State?

Mr. Tiger
June 5th, 2007, 10:17 PM

Albany State and Morehouse would be too far for the SWAC's Texas teams to travel. The most likely are Tuskegee and Tennessee State. If we are talking distant future, Langston University in Oklahoma might have a shot. They are a former member and the school is growing. But they are NAIA.

Jafus (Thinker)
June 6th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Shaking My Head!!

LOL!! Guessing!! LOL!!

Shaking My Head!!

Fresno St. Alum
June 6th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Albany State and Morehouse would be too far for the SWAC's Texas teams to travel. The most likely are Tuskegee and Tennessee State. If we are talking distant future, Langston University in Oklahoma might have a shot. They are a former member and the school is growing. But they are NAIA.

Langston announced a move to D-II and the SIAC but then they backed out last minute. I don't know how they could go D-I if they're scared of D-II. If FAMU isn't to far for the SWAC how come Georgia is?

TexasTerror
June 6th, 2007, 06:35 AM
What are you talking about TT? Texas Southern busses to Savanah State?

VB squad bussed to Savannah St, Hampton and Coppin St in 2005...

HIU 93
June 6th, 2007, 06:36 AM

Morehous is leaving the SIAC for the CIAA. Mark my words.

813Jag
June 6th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Langston announced a move to D-II and the SIAC but then they backed out last minute. I don't know how they could go D-I if they're scared of D-II. If FAMU isn't to far for the SWAC how come Georgia is?
Houston to Tallahassee 10 hours
Houston to Atlanta 12 hours
It's not a bad trip but who wants to bus 12 hours for a basketball game or volleyball (right TT xlolx )? But i think the main thing is if the SWAC is expanding there are already teams that they want to add.

gr8ness97
June 6th, 2007, 08:31 AM
interesting Discussion by everyone...NCCU will get in, and 2 teams will leave before 10 years is up...mark those words...

813Jag
June 6th, 2007, 08:38 AM
interesting Discussion by everyone...NCCU will get in, and 2 teams will leave before 10 years is up...mark those words...

Who do you think will leave and where will they go? xconfusedx