PDA

View Full Version : What does being a "Parade All-American" mean?

Jacks76
June 4th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Sean Norton, new Northern Arizona quartberback transfer from Fresno State, is listed on Fresno State's website as being a former Parade All-American from Hart HS in California:

http://gobulldogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/norton_sean00.html

What does it mean to be a "Parade All-American"?

Paul

Frosty The Snowbuff
June 4th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Sean Norton, new Northern Arizona quartberback transfer from Fresno State, is listed on Fresno State's website as being a former Parade All-American from Hart HS in California:

http://gobulldogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/norton_sean00.html

Paul

No other way to put it really.....

They are (supposedly) a group of some of the best high school players in the nation...

Ex: Mitch Mustain.....Reggie Bush....Joe McKnight...etc

Of course....these players usually end up playing for the big Division I schools....so unless they transfer....FCS teams usually don't get these types of players.

spelunker64
June 4th, 2007, 03:39 PM
I throw the Parade section out in my Sunday paper...

Jacks76
June 4th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Just looking at his HS stats and his play (albeit in limited action) at Fresno State, why didn't a QB of Sean Norton's talent and ability land at one of the big schools like USC or Notre Dame?

Has anyone seen Sean Norton play? Is he worthy of the "All-American" label?

Paul

Frosty The Snowbuff
June 4th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Just looking at his HS stats and his play (albeit in limited action) at Fresno State, why didn't a QB of Sean Norton's talent and ability land at one of the big schools like USC or Notre Dame?

Has anyone seen Sean Norton play? Is he worthy of the "All-American" label?

Paul

Possibilities Include Off the Field Issues Such As:

Grades or Trouble with the Law

Other Possibilities Include:

A late season injury or Schools interested in another style of QB

AppGuy04
June 4th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Parade is a sports magazine that yearly creates all-american teams

AppGuy04
June 4th, 2007, 03:52 PM
http://www.parade.com/all-america/football/

Jacks76
June 4th, 2007, 03:59 PM
These are the only stats that I can find on Sean Norton. He played in 3 games last year at Fresno State with the following stats:

vs. Hawaii: 14 of 24 passing, for 225 yards, 3 TDs and 1 INT.

vs. #14 LSU: 13 of 20 passing, for 134 yards, 0 TDs and 0 INT.

vs. #18 Boise State: 5 of 10 passing, for 59 yards, 0 TDs and 0 INT.

Paul

Jacks76
June 4th, 2007, 04:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=161403

Paul

Saint3333
June 4th, 2007, 04:16 PM

Paul

Because he's 5'11" 175 lbs. If Armanti were 6'4", 220 lbs. he wouldn't be at ASU either.

These guys with great athletic ability, who lack the ideal physical stats usually end up at mid-major FBS or FCS schools.

Jacks76
June 4th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Because he's 5'11" 175 lbs. If Armanti were 6'4", 220 lbs. he wouldn't be at ASU either.

These guys with great athletic ability, who lack the ideal physical stats usually end up at mid-major FBS or FCS schools.

But is he good? Has anyone seen Sean Norton play college football, much less in practice?

NAU has very limited information on this new transfer and the Arizona Daily Sun -- the local Flagstaff newspaper -- has only 1 article written about him thus far.

I want to know how good this guy is.

Paul

Grizalltheway
June 4th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I throw the Parade section out in my Sunday paper...

I usually do the same, but yesterday's had Jessica Alba on the front page. Think I'll hold on to that one...:D

Jacks76
June 4th, 2007, 05:47 PM
So why isn't this Norton guy playing at USC or UCLA?

Paul

Frosty The Snowbuff
June 4th, 2007, 06:44 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not many teams want a QB under 6'0 these days because it is supposedly hard for them to see over the linemen in front of them...so unless they run a bunch of rollouts or use him in the shotgun a lot....chances are he won't see the field...

rmutv
June 4th, 2007, 07:03 PM

Same reason why Myles Russ, a 5'8/5'9 170lb running back out of 6A West Boca Raton High in Florida and who had 1,700+ yards in his senior year, ended up at Robert Morris.

Not that we're complaining...and he hasn't even put on a jersey yet! xrotatehx

Peems
June 4th, 2007, 09:21 PM
my question is why do you have such an obsession with one man? who cares why he transferred. Just because he is a parade all american doesn't mean he is supposed to go to some big time school. Hell when he went to Fresno they were pretty good. Just take a deep breath and relax about this norton guy. your obsession is borderline crazyxnodx

Frosty The Snowbuff
June 4th, 2007, 09:24 PM
my question is why do you have such an obsession with one man? who cares why he transferred. Just because he is a parade all american doesn't mean he is supposed to go to some big time school. Hell when he went to Fresno they were pretty good. Just take a deep breath and relax about this norton guy. your obsession is borderline crazyxnodx

The rest of his post got cut.......

GrizFanIRAQ
June 4th, 2007, 10:42 PM

I think his other problem that may have kept him away from the bowl schools is his MOUTH!!xnonox

Jacks76
June 5th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Everyone wants to win, and Sean is a competitor. He wants to defeat the big teams like Arizona. So he works hard at his game and with the team on improving each and every day. He's the best quarterback in the history of Northern Arizona football, or at least he will be when his career at NAU is complete. Better than Jeff Lewis, Travis Brown and Jason Murietta.

Paul

appfan2008
June 5th, 2007, 08:10 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not many teams want a QB under 6'0 these days because it is supposedly hard for them to see over the linemen in front of them...so unless they run a bunch of rollouts or use him in the shotgun a lot....chances are he won't see the field...

that is why armanti and richie work so well in our offense... both can run and did most of their work out of the shotgun

SirApp
June 5th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Everyone wants to win, and Sean is a competitor. He wants to defeat the big teams like Arizona. So he works hard at his game and with the team on improving each and every day. He's the best quarterback in the history of Northern Arizona football, or at least he will be when his career at NAU is complete. Better than Jeff Lewis, Travis Brown and Jason Murietta.

Paul

Wow, big statement there.... he hasn't even put on a Lumberjack jersey yet.

Jacks76
June 5th, 2007, 09:13 PM
But he has at Fresno State, and he played well against #14-ranked LSU (with the #1-ranked defense in all of college football last year). He's a very solid player and I expect him to eventually exceed both Jeff Lewis and Travis Brown in terms of offensive prowess.

Paul

YoUDeeMan
June 5th, 2007, 09:16 PM

Paul

Man are you guys at NAU lucky! The rest of our FCS teams are filled with QBs who are non-competitors who don't want to beat the big teams. In fact, they rarely work at their game or with the team because they are too occupied with eating Ding-Dongs and Ho-Hos while playing beer pong with the intramural chess club. xwhistlex

already123
June 5th, 2007, 11:47 PM

i agree...

already123
June 5th, 2007, 11:50 PM

Paul

....and its because of statements like these. WOW! xeekx

Sean is good, but not that good. seriously....

YoUDeeMan
June 6th, 2007, 12:03 AM

Paul

But is he good? Has anyone seen Sean Norton play college football, much less in practice?

I want to know how good this guy is.

Paul

A little conflicted, perhaps? xeyebrowx

HIU 93
June 6th, 2007, 07:35 AM

Parade Magazine names an All-American team of high school athletes each year.

GeauxLions94
June 6th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Parade Magazine names an All-American team of high school athletes each year.

xoopsx

I though it meant this ...

Jacks76
June 6th, 2007, 02:56 PM
So what is the verdict on Sean Norton? Is he worthy of the All-American tag?

Paul

already123
June 6th, 2007, 03:04 PM
high school is way diff than college...

so "eh..." is my answer

ngineer
June 6th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Just a collection of very good hs players who have won the PR campaign for gettng selected. There is no objective way to select the best hs players in such a huge country.xreadx

already123
June 7th, 2007, 01:09 AM
well put

Jacks76
June 7th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I disagree. It is a selection of top HS talent by the media, college scouts, coaches and players.

Paul

already123
June 7th, 2007, 04:25 PM
If that is so...Fresno is the only school that wanted a Parade All-American like Norton?
The guy starting over Norton was the same year, no? Was he an all american.......?

hmmm

ngineer
June 7th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I disagree. It is a selection of top HS talent by the media, college scouts, coaches and players.

Paul

And there is no way a player in Spokane can be compared to a player in Omaha versus one in Tampa..I'm reminded of the old ZAP comic book character "Mr Natural", who after another long, shaggy dog story would be asked by the enraptured kids listening to him, "What's it all mean, Mr. Natural?", to which Mr. Natural would take his famous 'keep on truckin' pose' and reply "Don't mean sheeeeeet!"

already123
June 7th, 2007, 09:35 PM
And there is no way a player in Spokane can be compared to a player in Omaha versus one in Tampa..I'm reminded of the old ZAP comic book character "Mr Natural", who after another long, shaggy dog story would be asked by the enraptured kids listening to him, "What's it all mean, Mr. Natural?", to which Mr. Natural would take his famous 'keep on truckin' pose' and reply "Don't mean sheeeeeet!"

Wise words lol xthumbsupx

travelinman67
June 8th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Just a collection of very good hs players who have won the PR campaign for gettng selected. There is no objective way to select the best hs players in such a huge country.xreadx

Bingo. Parade is nothing more than a media publication trying to cash in on another facet of sports publications and advertising. The writers probably buy Athlon and ESPN, make a list of commonly found players, and, et voila', the Parade All-American team is born. I place no value on their so called "All American" teams.

In all fairness to Parade, they also have a recipe section with a nice summer Chinese Chicken salad that you won't find at CSN...:D

http://www.parade.com/articles/editions/2007/edition_05-27-2007/Summer_Salads

travelinman67
June 8th, 2007, 06:09 PM
..I'm reminded of the old ZAP comic book character "Mr Natural", who after another long, shaggy dog story would be asked by the enraptured kids listening to him, "What's it all mean, Mr. Natural?", to which Mr. Natural would take his famous 'keep on truckin' pose' and reply "Don't mean sheeeeeet!"

That's too much information about your psyche, ngineer. xlolx

ngineer
June 9th, 2007, 08:04 AM
That's too much information about your psyche, ngineer. xlolx

...as well as advertising how 'far back' I go...xrolleyesx

appfan2008
June 9th, 2007, 08:09 AM
the only level that all whatever teams actually work is in your own county or region.... once you get to state it becomes way to hard to compare... in my home state of georgia i went to a school with more than 2500 students in the atlanta suburbs and played similar schools... i am know there is no way a player from a school like that can even be compared to a student in a school an hour away with 200 students... so if it doesnt even work for an all state team then of course it wouldnt work for all american in my humble opinion

Maverick
June 9th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Parade All-American is kinda like a draft board made up by those who don't have to actually draft players. Based on what they did statistically without being able to put it in the context of the quality of competition can lead to some terminal over-hyping. Like an old coach said to me as he showed me footage of player with great numbers against a very poor team, "That kid is just great enough to get me fired in a couple of years." This is not to say that they are not good players but how they handle the transition to college in terms of competition , academics, and the social whirl is something that cannot be assessed. Then you throw in an injury or two and the "All-American" is sitting the bench or is a back-up, or transferring, or leaving the game. Would be interesting for a writer to go back and take all of these Parade All-American lists and track them to see what happened with them. Which college, what happened there, next level or continued play after college, if continued playing in what league for how long and stats, if not continued, work, grad school, etc. Those stories would make interesting reading or even a series on one of the sports channels.

already123
June 9th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Parade All-American is kinda like a draft board made up by those who don't have to actually draft players. Based on what they did statistically without being able to put it in the context of the quality of competition can lead to some terminal over-hyping. Like an old coach said to me as he showed me footage of player with great numbers against a very poor team, "That kid is just great enough to get me fired in a couple of years." This is not to say that they are not good players but how they handle the transition to college in terms of competition , academics, and the social whirl is something that cannot be assessed. Then you throw in an injury or two and the "All-American" is sitting the bench or is a back-up, or transferring, or leaving the game. Would be interesting for a writer to go back and take all of these Parade All-American lists and track them to see what happened with them. Which college, what happened there, next level or continued play after college, if continued playing in what league for how long and stats, if not continued, work, grad school, etc. Those stories would make interesting reading or even a series on one of the sports channels.

Interesting! I think it would be nice to see some kind of statistics on what happens to these "all-americans" in college. What are the numbers on Blue-Chips v. 'regular' recruits in the pros?? Anybody got anythin on that stuff? xrotatehx