PDA

View Full Version : The 2007 Divvy Award list

agsadmin
June 3rd, 2007, 11:04 PM
The 2007 Divvy Award list:
3/30/2007 Justin Durant
4/25/2007 David Bailiff
6/3/2007 Christopher WalshThe award certificate emailed to the winner:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4667&stc=1&d=1178302256

3/30/2007 Justin Durant
Congratulations Hampton Linebacker Justin Durant!

You have been honored as a recipient of "The Divvy Award" for your comments as they appeared in an article from the Associated Press on Friday, March 30, 2007:

"I wanted to go Division I," Durant said. "That's everyone's dream coming out of high school – to play for a Division I team. But a couple of us didn't have any offers, so we had no choice but to go where we went."

The Divvy Award is given "In Recognition of Referring to the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision As Something Other Than NCAA Division I Football."

The award certificate is attached and is suitable for framing.

Sincerely,

AnyGivenSaturday.com4/25/2007 David Bailiff
Congratulations David Bailiff!

You have been honored as a recipient of "The Divvy Award" for your comments as they appeared in an article from the San Antonio Express-News on Wednesday, April 25, 2007:

Former Texas State coach David Bailiff, now the coach at I-A Rice University, applauds his alma mater. "It would be something special to bring a true Division I team into Bobcat Stadium,"

Reference:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA042607.04D.FBCtexasfootball.2d5302b.html

The Divvy Award is given "In Recognition of Referring to the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision As Something Other Than NCAA Division I Football."

Sincerely,

AnyGivenSaturday.com6/3/2007 Christopher Walsh
Congratulations Christopher Walsh!

You have been honored as a recipient of "The Divvy Award" for your comments as they appeared in an article from the Tuscaloosa News on Sunday, June 3, 2007:

"Division I football is the only sport out of 88 in which the NCAA does not proclaim its champion. Every other level of the sport (divisions I-AA, II and III) enjoys annual playoffs."

Reference: http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070603/NEWS/706030368/1011/dateline&cachetime=3&template=dateline

Sincerely,

AnyGivenSaturday.comPlease nominate other possible winners in this thread and we'll keep a running list in this first post.

agsadmin
June 12th, 2007, 12:39 PM
6/12/2007 Leo Kelley
Congratulations Leo Kelley!

You have been honored as a recipient of "The Divvy Award" for your comments as they appeared in an article from the Ada Evening News on Monday, June 11, 2007:

"Missouri State and Arkansas State (two Division II squads) and Florida Atlantic... Week 4 brings No. 49 Texas Tech to Stillwater, followed by Division 2 Sam Houston State."

Reference: http://www.adaeveningnews.com/localsports/local_story_162101716.html

Sincerely,

AnyGivenSaturday.com

TexasTerror
June 18th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Here's a nominee...apparently FCS is not in Division I per say...

Fans set UNCC football agenda
by Erik Spanberg
Senior staff writer
Charlotte Business Journal
June 15, 2007

No specific scenarios have been mapped out, but early discussions about football have frequently focused on starting with a lower-level, or Division I-AA, program -- the same status as Appalachian State University.

The study includes a plan to transition in four or five years into the upper-tier Division I. There are 120 Division-I football schools. The Carolinas are already home to six programs that play in the top NCAA division, including UNC Chapel Hill, N.C. State, the University of South Carolina and Clemson University.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2007/06/18/story2.html

Full article can be read at...

http://community.meacfans.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5501054881/m/8251017393

TexasTerror
June 25th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Here's a nominee...apparently SEMO only has one Div I game this year...
--------------
BCI Fearless Predictions Southeast Missouri
Southeast Missouri State

By DAVE BERK / DOUG GOODWIN
PUBLISHERS
Posted Jun 25, 2007

Game 1: August 30 vs. Southeast Missouri State - Nippert Stadium

Southeast Missouri State is a Division 1AA (now NCAA Football Championship Subdivision) school out of the Ohio Valley Conference. This will be the initial meeting between UC and SEMO in football. They enter the season coming off a 4-7 record in 2006, but this team started off fast winning 3 of their first 4 games before hitting the skids and going 1 – 6 to close out the year. SEMO showed they can put up points, sometimes, by scoring over 38 in two games both of which were wins. But they also were shut out twice. The only D1 team SEMO played in 2006 was Arkansas on the road, the Razorbacks dominated with a 63-7 victory.

This year UC will be the only shot SEMO gets against a D1 opponent, so along with opening night this will also be an opportunity to put them on Sports Center. With only 10 starters returning (5 offense, 5 defense) don’t look for an early season rebound from and off season last year.

http://cincinnati.scout.com/2/654202.html

agsadmin
June 25th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Good work TT!
Congratulations Erik Spanberg!

You have been honored as a recipient of "The Divvy Award" for your comments as they appeared in an article from the Charlotte Business Journal on Monday, June 18, 2007:

"No specific scenarios have been mapped out, but early discussions about football have frequently focused on starting with a lower-level, or Division I-AA, program -- the same status as Appalachian State University.
The study includes a plan to transition in four or five years into the upper-tier Division I. There are 120 Division-I football schools."

Reference: http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2007/06/18/story2.html

Sincerely,

AnyGivenSaturday.com
Congratulations Dave Berk / Doug Goodwin!

You have been honored as a recipient of "The Divvy Award" for your comments as they appeared in an article from Scout.com on Monday, June 25, 2007:

"The only D1 team SEMO played in 2006 was Arkansas on the road, the Razorbacks dominated with a 63-7 victory.
This year UC will be the only shot SEMO gets against a D1 opponent, so along with opening night this will also be an opportunity to put them on Sports Center."

Reference: http://cincinnati.scout.com/2/654202.html

Sincerely,

AnyGivenSaturday.com

agsadmin
June 25th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Reply from Scout.com's Scott Kennedy:

"thanks for the heads up"

ngineer
June 25th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Howabout the two newspapers in the Lehigh Valley that are still using the I-AA nomenclature? I've emailed them, with no response..

Franks Tanks
July 1st, 2007, 07:40 PM
6/12/2007 Leo Kelley

How off base is this guy calling them D-II thats ridicilious. He even calls Arkansas State D-II, they have been FBS for probably 15 years!! How can you take this guy seriously with errors like that, he obviously knows nothing about FCS or FBS football.

TexasTerror
July 5th, 2007, 05:15 PM
SELA is a non-Div I foe on the Kansas schedule...and apparently, plays in the "real Division I" for the other sports...
---------------
An Early Look at Southeastern Louisiana: Overview
By rockchalk Section: Football
Posted on Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 05:13:59 PM EDT

It has been quite awhile since I last graced the blog with a preview of an upcoming opponent, but here I go again. This time, we are focusing on a Division 1 Championship Divison in the Southeastern Louisiana Lions, the only non-Division 1 foe on our schedule. The game is to take place on September 8th, a date that stands one solitary day away from the true beginning of the NFL regular season, in Lawrence Kansas. I'm not too worried about this game, as the following equation shows:

And later it says...

In case you are an interested Southeastern Louisiana student, you can join the MANEiacs (that might be the worst play on words I have ever heard in my entire life. Seriously.) for a small fee of $5. The Lions actually compete in Division 1 (the real one) in all other sports along with the rest of the Southland Conference, a conference held up nationally soley by the remembrance of this shot by Northwestern State. That is from the 2006 Tournament for those of you unfamiliar and later on that day on the very same court, our Jayhawks lost to Bradley in an upset unfortunately overshadowed by that shot.

Casey_Orourke
July 14th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I submit for your consideration for the Divvy Award the following article from the San Joaquin County News sports writer Jason Anderson who refers to Portland State as a DII school and by association all of the Big Sky Conference.
http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070710/A_SPORTS08/707100306/-1/A_SPORTS

Granted it is about women's basketball, but a slam at one D-1 sport is a slam to all.

Tod
July 14th, 2007, 07:49 PM
I submit for your consideration for the Divvy Award the following article from the San Joaquin County News sports writer Jason Anderson who refers to Portland State as a DII school and by association all of the Big Sky Conference.
http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070710/A_SPORTS08/707100306/-1/A_SPORTS

Granted it is about women's basketball, but a slam at one D-1 sport is a slam to all.

I sent him an e-mail. I know some others did, too. xthumbsupx

BisonBacker
July 15th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I know this award is supposed to go to writers if I'm not mistaken but I think honorable mention must go to DaveK. For those who are not aware he's a regular poster here now and posts also on his schools (UND) forum.

A little history behind this nomination. On the other board he frequents a member (not DaveK) said that the FCS is nothing more then DII. So A question was asked if that was the case what was the division they were currently playing in now? Here's DaveK's illustrious response.

The FCS label is ridiculous. I-AA is a division that is somewhere in between D1 and D2, but much much closer to D2. I have never seen a top 10 ranked I-AA beat a top 10 ranked D1, but I have seen a top 10 ranked D2 beat a top 10 ranked I-AA. I wouldn't go quite as far as SiouxMeNow did in saying I-AA is exactly the same thing as D2, but it's pretty damn close. That's just my opinion, and only because you asked for it.

So I would like to have his name put in for honorable mention anyway. What a rube.

TexasTerror
July 31st, 2007, 06:30 PM
Got the Division I Florida schools and then the I-AA schools. Wasn't I-AA, Division I?
------------
Column: Growth in football shows in amount of state teams
By Andy Hall

TAMPA — Time was this could be knocked out in an afternoon. And was.

As recently as the early 1990s, that’s how the Florida Sports Writers Association handled its College Football Media Day. There were six teams — the Big Three, plus Florida A&M, Bethune-Cookman and Central Florida. Half an hour per coach and it didn’t even take the whole afternoon.

The growth in Florida college football has been such that there are seven Division I programs alone. Add three I-AA teams (Florida A&M, Bethune and Jacksonville University) and two NAIA programs (Edward Waters College and Webber International) and you have 11 college football teams in the state, making it necessary for the FSWA to add an s, making turning its Media Day into Media Days.

http://www.palatkadailynews.com/articles/2007/07/31/sports/sports01.txt

BEAR
August 9th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Does this qualify as a Divvy?

The University of Central Arkansas' maiden voyage in NCAA Division I-AA football (now Division IA-Championship) was scenic and relatively smooth.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/sports_article.asp?aID=98895.67549.110978

Division IA-Championship? I thought it was FCS? Huh?xeyebrowx

agsadmin
August 9th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Got the Division I Florida schools and then the I-AA schools. Wasn't I-AA, Division I?
------------Awarded:
Congratulations Andy Hall!

You have been honored as a recipient of "The Divvy Award" for your comments as they appeared in the article "Growth in football shows in amount of state teams" from the Palatka Daily News on July 31, 2007:

"... The growth in Florida college football has been such that there are seven Division I programs alone. Add three I-AA teams (Florida A&M, Bethune and Jacksonville University) and two NAIA programs (Edward Waters College and Webber International) and you have 11 college football teams in the state, making it necessary for the FSWA to add an s, making turning its Media Day into Media Days. ..."

Sincerely,

AnyGivenSaturday.com

TexasTerror
August 19th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Kevin Gore said that SHSU has had some big Div I transfers over the last few years. What's that about? SHSU is a Div I program as well.

Sam Houston had big seasons under quarterbacks Josh McCown, Chris Chaloupka and Dustin Long, all transfers from Division I schools.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?p=619306

agsadmin
September 2nd, 2007, 01:58 PM
Sent today:
Congratulations ESPN!

You have been honored as a recipient of "The Divvy Award" for your poll comments as they appeared on your website poll "Is Appalachian St. biggest upset ever?" on Sunday, September 2, 2007:

"Should Appalachian State join the Division-I party?"

Reference: http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/polling?event_id=3139

Sincerely,

AnyGivenSaturday.com

FCSFAN
September 2nd, 2007, 02:02 PM
Sent today:xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

ESPN should get the lifetime achievement award!

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

OhioHen
September 4th, 2007, 06:37 AM
A nomination:

Mike Golic on ESPN's "Mike and Mike in the Morning" today at approximately 6:15 a.m. EDT

"For Appalachian State, who's not even Division 1, to go into the Big House and win is HUGE" xnonono2x xnonox xoopsx xoopsx xrulesx

th0m
September 4th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Giving out Divvies is gonna be a full-time job now, after the Michigan game :D

Go...gate
September 4th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Evan Roberts, WFAN 660 New York, refers to ASU as a "Division 2A" team at about 11:45 this morning.

OhioHen
September 6th, 2007, 06:45 AM
http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070905/OPINION02/709050314/-1/OPINION

"Appalachian State...is the two-time NCAA II-A champion..."

DunkandDukin
September 7th, 2007, 02:02 PM
I'd nominate Herbstreet (sp) for repeatedly defending the Mich loss and saying "it's not the end of the world just cause they lost to someone nobody has ever heard of". REally? That's an APPALLING lack of knowledge for an alledgedly nat'l profile "commentator". He's Never witnessed the FCS championship game?

Sorry if this has been put elsewhere around here, been a while since I could join the fun...

Saluki Fan in FL
September 10th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Did anyone catch Mark May the day after the Appy/Mich. game... he was saying crap like: for a 1 double A or FCS or WHATEVER you wanna call that division to go into Michigan and beat them is outrageous. The alumni will be calling for Carr's head.

Note: I didn't use quotes because I can't remember his EXACT words. But that was pretty much it.

He gets my vote.

Col Hogan
September 26th, 2007, 04:41 AM
This is a new one on me...the NCAA Playoff Subdivision...

The Boston Globe rarely gives UMass more than an inch or two of column space in their sports section (except when students "riot" after a big win or loss)...

But today, I find an article on our running back, Matt Lawrence, who has been running pretty wild so far...some props from the Globe!!!

But as they describe it,
when he leads the 4-0 Minutemen, ranked second in the nation in the NCAA Playoff Subdivision, into Saturday's showdown against 12th-ranked Boston College (4-0) at Alumni Stadium.

http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2007/09/26/carryover_effect_benefited_umass/

Maybe I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth...but you have to wonder where they came up with that...

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Wonderful...now, a Big XII news reporter thinks they compete in the 'Football Championshiop' division...

Bomar's new team is 2-and-1 and coming off a 41-38 loss two weeks ago against fourth-ranked North Dakota. Sam Houston State has never beaten an NCAA Division I Football Championshiop opponent and are 0-and-5 against the Big 12.

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0907/458993.html

This was a correction to their initial story -- which had SHSU never beating an FBS opponent, when we have indeed beat two (LA-Monroe, LA-Lafayette)...

The response I got to my initial e-mail

I apologize. I misread their release. They have never beaten an NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision team. I have made the correction.

Thanks

Kevin
KTUL Webteam

[email protected]

My response to that...

You just made another mistake, my friend!

SHSU plays in the Division I Football Championship Subdivision. Oklahoma State plays in the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision.

SHSU has beaten Championship Subdivision opponents (as we play them all the time including conference play) and we have beaten a Football Bowl Subdivision opponent (SHSU has beaten Louisiana - Monroe and Louisiana - Lafayette).

Your article continues to be a fallacy of a logic. Remember, SHSU plays in the Championship division as we actually play for the NCAA Division I national championship -- something Oklahoma State is not even eligible for. Appalachian State is the two-time defending Div I national champion in football.

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Here we go again...

Sam Houston State: Bomar's back

By Jacob Longan
STILLWATER NEWSPRESS (STILLWATER, Okla.)

STILLWATER, Okla. —

Sam Houston State is 2-20 all time against Division I teams and has never faced Oklahoma State.

But the Bearkats’ star quarterback is 1-0 against the Cowboys.

Rhett Bomar, 6-feet-2 and 215 pounds, was the starter for Oklahoma when OSU lost a 42-14 game in Norman on Nov. 26, 2005.

http://www.stillwater-newspress.com/osusports/local_story_271062037.html

E-mail away...

[email protected]

TT's response...

2-20 against Division I?

Last I checked -- Sam Houston State is a Division I program. In fact, unlike Oklahoma State, they can compete for the Division I national championship. SHSU was in the 2004 Division I semifinals and has competed in the Division I playoffs on four different occasions.

SHSU may be 2-20 against Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly I-A) opponents, but considering we play Division I football in a Division I conference, it seems your sports story is completely off base with reality.

Reality is this -- Appalachian State is the two-time defending Division I national champion. SHSU actually can compete for a Division I national championship -- Oklahoma State can not by virtue of the fact they compete in FBS, a division that competes for a BCS title -- please check the trophy, that's not your usual NCAA standard fare.

Bearkat Fan
New Orleans, LA

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Response from Stillwater NewsPress...

You're correct on all those points. I wrote it correctly with the new terms and it was changed by the editor.
I'm certain that no slight was intended.
Thank you for reading,
Jacob

EmeryZach
October 21st, 2007, 11:25 AM
Minnesota QB Adam Weber, after losing to NDSU -
"I think this is probably the worst of our losses, just morale-wise," Gophers quarterback Adam Weber said. "You expect to win. They're a good football team, but when you're a Division-I program and you're in the Big Ten, you have to win these types of games."

Well Adam, you actually just lost to a Division I program that is better than you.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=272930135

TexasTerror
October 31st, 2007, 05:18 PM
Apparently the exec director of the BCA thinks that the MEAC and SWAC play Div II ball...

“Any Division II school would jump at the opportunity to receive such a windfall. It’s taken a while for a number of factors, but it’s a trend that I think is here to stay ” says Floyd Keith, executive director of the Black Coaches and Administrators.

http://diverseeducation.com/artman/publish/article_9782.shtml

TexasTerror
November 5th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Nominee...

The Warhawks and Tigers compete in separate divisions of college football. ULM plays in I-A Football Bowl Subdivision. Grambling is a member of the I-AA Championship Subdivision.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071105/NEWS01/711050313/1006

What a slip-up...from a paper that is home to CSN Columnist Nick Deriso...

Go Grambling!

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 16th, 2007, 12:03 PM
This Mountain West Conference Football blog correctly refers to Georgia Southern as "FCS". not only that, but they seem to have an understanding of the difference between low-tier FBS teams and upper-tier FCS teams. They don't talk about how "Colorado State should roll all over Division 2 Georgia State!".

http://mwcfootball.wordpress.com/2007/11/15/week-12-preview/
xsmileyclapx

bamamountaineer1013
November 16th, 2007, 01:40 PM
I'm not sure if this one will exactly count but with a rather large error like this one, I figured it needed to be looked at...

In an essay entitled my Sportsmen writer Cory McCartney of SI.com made this statement referring to Appalachian beating Michigan.

"It was the first victory for a Division I-AA (renamed Championship Subdivision) team over a Division I-A (Bowl Subdivision) foe since the AP expanded its rankings to 25 teams in 1989."

Now I know that these awards are for the mis-labeling of the FCS, but I am very confident in saying that the App win over Michigan was not the first FCS over FBS victory since 1989.

TexasTerror
December 2nd, 2007, 09:04 AM
From the Houston Chronicle, apparently AppSt is heading to the Div II semifinals. Not sure if this is the AP's responsibility or the Chronicle. Seems it is on the Chronicle...

Appalachian State moves into Division II semifinals
Associated Press

BOONE, N.C. — Armanti Edwards threw two touchdown passes and ran for another score to lead two-time champion Appalachian State to a 38-35 victory over Eastern Washington on Saturday in the Football Championship Subdivision playoff quarterfinals.

Edwards had 221 yards passing and ran for 126 yards for the Mountaineers (11-2), who tied an NCAA record with their 10th consecutive postseason triumph.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/fbc/5345130.html

TexasTerror
February 18th, 2008, 11:48 AM
First winner of 2008...LARRY TEIS, AD of Texas State - San Marcos!

AgsAdmin or whomever handles this...please make sure he gets what's coming his way!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37741