PDA

View Full Version : NAU QB Sean Norton: 'Wildcats are doomed.'

Jacks76
June 2nd, 2007, 12:35 PM
This just in: NAU QB Sean Norton can toss 80 yard touchdown passes on the fly while avoiding the vaunted Lumberjacks pass rush -- as he is falling down. Head coach Jerome Sauers praised Norton for his exceptional talent and work ethic.

"This guy's the real deal," said Sauers after a recent Lumberjacks scrimmage. "He could play for anybody in the nation. And I mean anyone."

Norton, a Parade All-American and recent transfer from Fresno State, had this to say about the prospect of facing the Arizona Wildcat's defense:

"The Wildcats are doomed," said Norton. "They'd better get their bibles out and start praying real hard. I'm going to destroy them."

Paul

Jacks76
June 2nd, 2007, 01:22 PM
This just in: NAU QB Sean Norton can toss 80 yard touchdown passes on the fly while avoiding the vaunted Lumberjacks pass rush -- as he is falling down. Head coach Jerome Sauers praised Norton for his exceptional talent and work ethic.

"This guy's the real deal," said Sauers after a recent Lumberjacks scrimmage. "He could play for anybody in the nation. And I mean anyone."

Norton, a Parade All-American and recent transfer from Fresno State, had this to say about the prospect of facing the Arizona Wildcat's defense:

"The Wildcats are doomed," said Norton. "They'd better get their bibles out and start praying real hard. I'm going to destroy them."

Paul

What no comments yet?

Paul

AppGuy04
June 2nd, 2007, 01:24 PM
Hey, I can throw it 50 yards on a field by myself tooxsmiley_wix

Is he gonna talk smack before every game? I hope so!!

CopperCat
June 2nd, 2007, 01:57 PM

He can surely talk smack.xrolleyesx (this guy has a mouth!)

Lets see if he is worth any real "smacking" that takes place on the field.

Griz Fan
June 2nd, 2007, 02:24 PM
Hey I am impressed with this guys smack!
With this kind of cocky confidence he is either gonna be exceptional or fall flat on his face, nothing in between.

GoldandBlack
June 2nd, 2007, 02:28 PM
Absolutely fantastic material for the opponent's locker room. "doomed...pray....destroy" would generally do the job for most teams.

I guess he figures Arizona will need some motivation to play an FCS school, and he figured he wanted to play them at their best.xrolleyesx

Jacks76
June 2nd, 2007, 02:35 PM
Absolutely fantastic material for the opponent's locker room. "doomed...pray....destroy" would generally do the job for most teams.

I guess he figures Arizona will need some motivation to play an FCS school, and he figured he wanted to play them at their best.xrolleyesx

That's a classic quote: "[They're] doomed. They'd better get their bibles out and start praying real hard. I'm going to destroy them."

Sean Norton is my hero.

Paul

Jacks76
June 2nd, 2007, 03:16 PM

Here is the actual quote, taken in context:

"Looks like the Sun Devils aren't the only team Arizona has a rivalry with. Overheard at a recent Lumberjacks' scrimmage:

Northern Arizona quarterback Sean Norton, when asked about the prospect of facing the vaunted Arizona defense, had this to say: '[They're] doomed. They'd better get their bibles out and start praying real hard. I'm going to destroy them."

Lucky for Norton, the cameras weren't rolling at the time."

Paul

BigApp
June 2nd, 2007, 03:36 PM
throwing it 80 yards while falling down is a nice attribute. But can he make that 8-yard touch pass on 3rd and 7?

slostang
June 2nd, 2007, 03:43 PM
I prefer a player that does his talking through his actions on the field. I am not a big fan of smack.

Jacks76
June 2nd, 2007, 03:46 PM
I prefer a player that does his talking through his actions on the field. I am not a big fan of smack.

Me neither. But who cares?

Paul

JALMOND
June 2nd, 2007, 03:56 PM
Maybe he should be more concerned about Western New Mexico first. As the Cats found out last year (and also Colorado), you overlook that first opponent and they may bite you.

AZGrizFan
June 2nd, 2007, 04:18 PM

Paul

Was that in Spring practice? Or did you mean Wildcats?

Jacks76
June 2nd, 2007, 04:34 PM
Was that in Spring practice? Or did you mean Wildcats?

Spring scrimmage.

Paul

Jacks76
June 2nd, 2007, 04:41 PM
In terms of talent, who does Sean Norton remind you of in the pros? Maybe Neil Lomax or Steve Young?

Paul

Frosty The Snowbuff
June 2nd, 2007, 04:42 PM

Paul

Ahh.....that Fresno Mentality is in the state of Arizona now??? Ut-oh

I know this was a scrimmage and all.....

But I'd be fussing at allowing that 80-yards pass actually being completed more than anything...

AZGrizFan
June 2nd, 2007, 04:43 PM
Spring scrimmage.

Paul

The lumberjacks pass rush is "vaunted"? xeyebrowx

Peems
June 2nd, 2007, 04:44 PM
i can't wait to see what this guy says about APP and UM

GoldandBlack
June 2nd, 2007, 04:47 PM
In terms of talent, who does Sean Norton remind you of in the pros? Maybe Neil Lomax or Steve Young?

Paul

A little early to compare a JuCo transfer without any FCS conference or FBS game experience to a pro quarterback.

Ask me this time next year.

AZGrizFan
June 2nd, 2007, 04:47 PM
i can't wait to see what this guy says about APP and UM

Actually, the probably have a better chance of beating UA than UM OR App. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Jacks76
June 2nd, 2007, 04:54 PM
Sean Norton played 3 games for the Fresno State Bulldogs last season, including a game versus FBS #14-ranked LSU. In that game, he completed 13 of 20 passes for 134 yards and 0 TDs against the #1-ranked defense in the country. He was a Parade All-American and passed for over 44 touchdowns and 4,000+ yards his senior season at Hart HS in California.

Paul

GoldandBlack
June 2nd, 2007, 05:03 PM
Sean Norton played 3 games for the Fresno State Bulldogs last season, including a game versus FBS #14-ranked LSU. In that game, he completed 13 of 20 passes for 134 yards and 0 TDs against the #1-ranked defense in the country. He was a Parade All-American and passed for over 44 touchdowns and 4,000+ yards his senior season at Hart HS in California.

Paul

I stand corrected on my prior statement- I still want to see a minimum full season at FCS/FBS level before beginning pro quarterback comparisons, especially to Steve Young.

Eyes of Old Main
June 2nd, 2007, 05:05 PM
Why would you smack at an FBS team? Wouldn't you want to fly under the radar? Seems like a poor choice of time to smack a potentially sleeping giant.

Jacks76
June 2nd, 2007, 05:20 PM
Why would you smack at an FBS team? Wouldn't you want to fly under the radar? Seems like a poor choice of time to smack a potentially sleeping giant.

Maybe Sean Norton just wants to fire up his team, knowing they are underdogs anyway?

Paul

james_lawfirm
June 2nd, 2007, 07:59 PM

Me neither. Good teams limit the trash talking to pointing to the scoreboard.

james_lawfirm
June 2nd, 2007, 08:03 PM

Paul

Jack:
When he comes to Boone, please ask him to bring his brain along with his mouth. He'll need more of the one and less of the other.

already123
June 2nd, 2007, 08:51 PM
norton said this?! where are you getting your information from?...seems a bit bold for a guy who isnt even starting.

plus, I have seen play...good arm but 80 yards is definitely pushin it (that must be a hell of a wind lol). Wouldn't be suprised if Kriesien can launch it 80...he's got a CANNON.

The Jacks have a lot more to take care of before they can start talkin about a major upset like that.

I Bleed Purple
June 2nd, 2007, 10:56 PM
And for a split second I thought he was referring to us.

Mr. C
June 2nd, 2007, 10:57 PM
Ahh.....that Fresno Mentality is in the state of Arizona now??? Ut-oh

I know this was a scrimmage and all.....

But I'd be fussing at allowing that 80-yards pass actually being completed more than anything...
And just what is wrong with the "Fresno Mentality"? :D

Having seen Norton a few times, I know he is capable. Some of us Fresno State alums would have liked to have seen him get the starting job last season. We had our struggles at QB with Tom Brandstater after all of those years with guys like Trent Dilfer, David Carr, Billy Volek and Paul Pinegar.

As a writer, I love stuff like this. I hope Norton is still firing off material when Northern Arizona is preparing for Appalachian State. That kind of stuff is fun to write about.

And, BTW, it isn't smack if you can back it up.

blur2005
June 2nd, 2007, 11:02 PM
And for a split second I thought he was referring to us.
I laughed really hard when I saw this comment.

Mr. C
June 2nd, 2007, 11:04 PM
norton said this?! where are you getting your information from?...seems a bit bold for a guy who isnt even starting.

plus, I have seen play...good arm but 80 yards is definitely pushin it (that must be a hell of a wind lol). Wouldn't be suprised if Kriesien can launch it 80...he's got a CANNON.

The Jacks have a lot more to take care of before they can start talkin about a major upset like that.

By the time the season starts, Norton WILL be starting. The only thing that would keep him out of the lineup is an injury.

Eyes of Old Main
June 2nd, 2007, 11:29 PM
Maybe Sean Norton just wants to fire up his team, knowing they are underdogs anyway?

I've got no problem with trying to fire a team up. A good leader should be doing that, but do it in the locker room and when the media's glare is pointed somewhere else. No sense in prompting a foe with many built in advantages (scholarships, resources, etc. etc. etc.) to become more focused on the game instead of hopefully looking ahead to their next FBS opponent. I hope NAU can win the game for their sake and for the sake of FCS, I just think grandstanding like this adds nothing to their chances of pulling the upset.

McNeese75
June 3rd, 2007, 12:27 AM
xsmhx That should put the kiss of death on NAU for that game anyway.

Tod
June 3rd, 2007, 12:43 AM
Right...ON!!!!

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Pantherpower
June 3rd, 2007, 10:03 AM
Unless he keeps running his mouth closer to kickoff, they'll have to pull this quote out of the archives as he said it in spring practice.

As Dave mentioned, it's not smack if you can back it up, but this kid would be wise to keep any additional talk about the Wildcats on the shelf until after the game.

Leading up to the game, he should give the reporters real exciting stuff like, "It will be a major challenge for our guys to step up and face a Pac-Ten defense like Arizona's. We hope to give the Wildcats our best shot and let the chips fall where they may."xthumbsupx

Tilldog40
June 3rd, 2007, 10:32 AM
Big talk from someone that transfered down a notch.

Tailbone
June 3rd, 2007, 10:50 AM
Josh Swogger could throw the ball through the uprights from the 50 yd line while on his knees.....unfortunately, there were no plays in the Griz playbook that called for that particular throw.

Accuracy, timing, touch, etc. would seem like more useful skills to me.

Pauly LB
June 3rd, 2007, 11:16 AM
Josh Swogger could throw the ball through the uprights from the 50 yd line while on his knees.....unfortunately, there were no plays in the Griz playbook that called for that particular throw.

Accuracy, timing, touch, etc. would seem like more useful skills to me.

In most leagues when your knees are down the play ends. Swogger needs to find a league where you are not considered down until you are unconscious.

89Hen
June 3rd, 2007, 11:18 AM
The lumberjacks pass rush is "vaunted"? xeyebrowx
That was my first thought too. Maybe this means their QB is fantastic, maybe it means they have no defense. xcoffeex

AZGrizFan
June 3rd, 2007, 11:22 AM
That was my first thought too. Maybe this means their QB is fantastic, maybe it means they have no defense. xcoffeex

That just struck me as funny, because I hadn't heard that in BSC circles recently.... xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Jacks76
June 3rd, 2007, 02:28 PM
Vaunted is a strong term, but our defense is good this year, even with the graduation loss of Jeff Wheeler.

Paul

PSUVikings
June 3rd, 2007, 02:32 PM
He looks real good NAU fans! especially in this highlight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLsjIuqRhMU

NAU fans don't get to hyped up, he isn't that great!

already123
June 3rd, 2007, 02:42 PM
By the time the season starts, Norton WILL be starting. The only thing that would keep him out of the lineup is an injury.

From the way things have been going, from what I have seen, from reports I have heard from other players....its not anywhere near being a "hands down" thing. Norton didn't even leave the spring #1 so saying that he WILL be starting is a little forward. I usually dont disagree with Mr. C, but....

He IS good, he just seems to have a lot more work cut out for him than most, including myself, expected. Seems as if Kriesien isn't trying to give up that spot...

Whoever starts will enjoy THE BEST group of targets to throw to in the BSCxthumbsupx xnodx xbowx

already123
June 3rd, 2007, 02:44 PM
He looks real good NAU fans! especially in this highlight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLsjIuqRhMU

NAU fans don't get to hyped up, he isn't that great!

Hilarious!...thats messed up but i laughed xlolx

Ronbo
June 3rd, 2007, 04:09 PM
From the way things have been going, from what I have seen, from reports I have heard from other players....its not anywhere near being a "hands down" thing. Norton didn't even leave the spring #1 so saying that he WILL be starting is a little forward. I usually dont disagree with Mr. C, but....

He IS good, he just seems to have a lot more work cut out for him than most, including myself, expected. Seems as if Kriesien isn't trying to give up that spot...

Whoever starts will enjoy THE BEST group of targets to throw to in the BSCxthumbsupx xnodx xbowx

You know you guys will have a pretty good Offense if that QB works out. You have two really good WR's and a very good RB. We were right behind you last year in most Offensive catagories. The big difference in your team and ours though is Defense. Your Defense last year was pretty bad. Ranked 7th in the BSC giving up 378 yards a game. And your pass Defense, ouch, you were 8th in the league at 251 yards per game. That was worse than UNC.xlolx Yep, you've got some Offensive weapons but there is no way your Defense will improve in one year enough to really make you a contender over Montana, Portland State, and MSU.

Our Defense held your vaunted Offense to 190 yards and Murietta and those great recievers to 90 yards passing last year. You'll face pretty much the same guys this year except they are a year bigger and stronger.

YoUDeeMan
June 3rd, 2007, 09:19 PM

Paul

Nice to know that Norton isn't a math major. It takes more than one person to "destroy" a team - unless that one person ends up destroying his own team with a "look at me" mentality. xrolleyesx

SoCon48
June 4th, 2007, 03:30 AM

Yep. Smack belongs to drunken fans and uninformed media not serious players and coaches.

SoCon48
June 4th, 2007, 03:33 AM

Not to mention to the App defensive backs in Boone.xeyebrowx

Jacks76
June 4th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Not to mention to the App defensive backs in Boone.xeyebrowx

Yup. :) I'm a Sun Devil football fan since the mid-1980s and an NAU graduate. Naturally, I hate the Arizona Wildcats and would love to see my Jacks (and Devils) pummel the Mildrats in that smelly place they call Tucson (we call it Tuscum).

Paul

youwouldno
June 4th, 2007, 01:38 PM
I just assumed he was being sarcastic, rather than being an idiot.

MYTAPPY
June 4th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I'm sure his first words when he arrives in Boone will be, "I bet I can throw a football clear over those mountains"...xlolx

james_lawfirm
June 4th, 2007, 08:40 PM
I'm sure his first words when he arrives in Boone will be, "I bet I can throw a football clear over those mountains"...xlolx

Or better yet: "What mountains?"

GreenDay17
June 4th, 2007, 09:52 PM
It is very hard for me to believe that those words came from Sean Norton. I have known him since recruiting him out of Hart HS and he has never acted like a braggart or jerk-off. He and his family are first-class.

I pushed very hard for Sean to transfer to Portland State when he decided to leave Fresno. I fully believe he would have been worth 3+ wins per season if he were a Viking - the kind of guy that would push them over the top. But alas, he decided that NAU was a better fit for him.

If you ask me (after 16 years of coaching in both the FCS and FBS) Sean Norton will be a great player for NAU.

CopperCat
June 4th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Or better yet: "What mountains?"

xnodx
Those are more like "hills with lots of trees on them."

already123
June 6th, 2007, 08:27 AM
xlolx
xnodx
Those are more like "hills with lots of trees on them."

AZGrizFan
June 6th, 2007, 08:33 AM

If the coach had only put me in in the fourth quarter, we'd have won the State Championship!