PDA

View Full Version : Tribe recruit is unusual athlete!

Tribe4SF
June 2nd, 2007, 06:29 AM
Terrance Riggins of Denbigh High in Newport News, VA will join W&M's football program this Fall as a RB or LB. At 6'1" and 215, he also competes for Denbigh's Track and Field team, participating in an unusual combination of events.

During yesterday's VA State AAA Championships, Riggins won the discus with a throw of 157' 6", and followed that by placing in the high jump with a leap of 6' 4". Today he will compete in the shot put (best of 52' 10") and the long jump (21').

Denbigh H.S., by the way, has sent some great guys to W&M. Former Tribe WR, and Steelers HC Mike Tomlin is a Denbigh grad.

MplsBison
June 2nd, 2007, 12:59 PM
He won the discus at 157'?

No offense, I take it AAA is VA's lowest track class.

Tribe4SF
June 2nd, 2007, 06:36 PM
Actually, AAA is the highest. Not sure what the wind may have been, but I was surprised at the distance as well. That aside, the combination of events for a guy his size is what I find remarkable.

blur2005
June 2nd, 2007, 11:05 PM
In running events, it seems to me that Virginia's AA is sometimes stronger than AAA...well, at least that's been something I noticed when I ran cross country in high school. Not sure about track, and I definitely know nothing about field.

EDIT: Interestingly, there was a girl at the AA state championship meet yesterday who threw 159 something to win discus. Granted, she was 30 feet ahead of the next thrower, but I find it hard to believe a AAA male state discus champ didn't throw farther.

MplsBison
June 2nd, 2007, 11:16 PM
150 feet is a good throw in high school, but not an elite throw.

According to http://www.raceberryjam.com/honorboysaa07.html#16 there are 11 kids who threw at least 157 in class AA (the large school class in MN).

I'd say 170 and up is elite.

Tribe4SF
June 3rd, 2007, 06:50 AM
The winning throw in the Peninsula District AAA meet was over 170.

In any event, Terrance is a real sleeper in the Tribe's recruiting class who flew under the radar last Fall. At 6'1" and 215, I find his high jump truly amazing, and evidence of his reputation as an extremely hard worker in both athletics and academics. He'll still be 17 when he reports for camp in August.

He joins two other LB recruits to form an impressive incoming LB crew. Jake Trantin (6'1" 225) from Archbishop Spalding in Maryland was first team Washington Post All-Met and consensus All-State, and Marcus Hyde (6'3" 220) from Osbourn Park in VA was AAA State Defensive POY. Trantin was also named first team All-Met RB by the Baltimore Sun.