PDA

View Full Version : Matt Dougherty Resigns

smallcollegefbfan
June 1st, 2007, 10:26 PM
He sent out an email today to SIDs announcing he was leaving for the Patriot League office. His last duties with TSN will be the All-American teams.

CatFan22
June 1st, 2007, 10:29 PM
Noooooooooooooooo. :(

Ivytalk
June 1st, 2007, 10:40 PM
Too bad. TSN's loss will be the PL's gain.xnodx

FlyYtown
June 1st, 2007, 10:44 PM
Good Luck to Matt in his future job.
Let's hope the SN gets someone without that East Coast bias.....I want our Midwest and West Coast teams to get some love too!

App Attack
June 1st, 2007, 11:09 PM
I hate to hear this... I really enjoyed his analysis of all the games. He was the best IMO.

ngineer
June 1st, 2007, 11:17 PM
He sent out an email today to SIDs announcing he was leaving for the Patriot League office. His last duties with TSN will be the All-American teams.

Hadn't heard this--what will be his new duties at the Patriot League? Sounds like the League may getting ready to undertake more serious marketing--will some philosophical changes be in the offing as well....?

CopperCat
June 1st, 2007, 11:55 PM
Matt was really a cornerstone of FCS coverage in its current state. Its sad to see him go. He was a good writer and he worked hard to get everything out there that he could. Good luck to you Matt!

Model Citizen
June 1st, 2007, 11:56 PM
I'll take credit for the shakeup. In fact, I'll be his replacement. Get used to the byline, "Model Citizen, FCS Editor." Sweeeeet.

I'll have those revised quarterback ratings out soon.

Before long, you'll see threads on this board entitled, SPORTS NETWORK ANNOUNCES SAN DIEGO RULES THE WORLD.

If I'm really bored, I'll toss out some tidbits on individuals from conferences with football scholarships. But I'll qualify those remarks with something like, "although it's hard to accurately judge their accomplishments because they don't compete against true student-athletes..."

Also, 1/3 of the scholarship people I say will be players to watch this year will actually have no eligibility remaining.

Have I won a Pulitzer yet?

PantherRob82
June 2nd, 2007, 12:38 AM
Congrats to matt.

catbob
June 2nd, 2007, 03:31 AM
That is a bummer. Although we disagreed once in a while, Matt was GREAT for FCS. Good luck in the future, Matt!

JBB
June 2nd, 2007, 04:23 AM
Matt did a great job. Congratulations and good luck in your new endeavor.

thirdgendin
June 2nd, 2007, 04:45 AM
Good luck in the future Matt!

He and Tony Moss before him have both been good for I-AA/FCS.

Keeper
June 2nd, 2007, 05:54 AM
Matt's weekly predictions & previews were simply terrific.
I think the next person has a tough act to follow. xtwocentsx

ngineer
June 2nd, 2007, 08:39 AM
I agree, both Tony and Matt were good writers; plus they did their homework. I didn't always agree with them, and less with Matt, but I respected their viewpoints as they seemed to have based their opinions on good background and research, as opposed to some of the 'national' publications that attempt to cover FCS, but rely strictly on secnd and third hand information. I'm looking forward, however, to see what Matt's duties will be with the Patriot---AND, assuming he'll be working at the Leagues offices, WELCOME TO THE LEHIGH VALLEY!!!!!!xthumbsupx

Umass74
June 2nd, 2007, 08:44 AM
Sorry to see Matt go. Some of his articles were real "tour de force" research efforts.

smallcollegefbfan
June 2nd, 2007, 09:04 AM
Hadn't heard this--what will be his new duties at the Patriot League? Sounds like the League may getting ready to undertake more serious marketing--will some philosophical changes be in the offing as well....?

I'm not sure exactly what his job is. It just said he was leaving to join the office.

TexasTerror
June 2nd, 2007, 11:06 AM
Congrats Matt on a nice few year run. We'll be missing your columns, but look forward to what you do for the Patriot League...

Very interested to see who is hired to take the FCS role. Tony Moss and Matt D did a great job...

X-Factor
June 2nd, 2007, 11:14 AM
Good luck Matt!

smallcollegefbfan
June 2nd, 2007, 11:32 AM
Congrats Matt on a nice few year run. We'll be missing your columns, but look forward to what you do for the Patriot League...

Very interested to see who is hired to take the FCS role. Tony Moss and Matt D did a great job...

There are several people who I think would be solid for this and I think a couple of them would be interested.

Who would you guys nominate for the job? Mr. C would be my pick.

bluehenbillk
June 2nd, 2007, 12:16 PM
Man, am I the only one that could realize this guy was just learning on the job? He could write but his knowledge of 1-AA/FCS was nothing to write home about.

Saint3333
June 2nd, 2007, 12:24 PM
Man, am I the only one that could realize this guy was just learning on the job? He could write but his knowledge of 1-AA/FCS was nothing to write home about.

Maybe he could have used a 1-AA history lesson, but his knowledge of the current state of FCS and his predictions were spot on the last few years.

smallcollegefbfan
June 2nd, 2007, 12:43 PM

Anyone who takes the job from now on will probably be learning on the job. I don't see someone who has been around for 20 plus years taking that job. I heard the pay is not enough to really have a family so you are looking at younger people who are either just starting out or haven't developed a family yet.

The job also requires a good bit of travel.

TexasTerror
June 2nd, 2007, 12:51 PM
Received this...

"Matt accepted a position as Director of Media Relations with the Patriot League, and will be leaving his position as Executive Director of FCS Football with The Sports Network on June 15."

smallcollegefbfan
June 2nd, 2007, 01:43 PM
Received this...

"Matt accepted a position as Director of Media Relations with the Patriot League, and will be leaving his position as Executive Director of FCS Football with The Sports Network on June 15."

I was told it was something like that but did not realize it was the director position. It is good to see him advancing his career.

PSUVikings
June 2nd, 2007, 01:46 PM
Dang...

Griz Fan
June 2nd, 2007, 02:26 PM
I hate to hear this... I really enjoyed his analysis of all the games. He was the best IMO.

DITTOxbawlingx

GoldandBlack
June 2nd, 2007, 02:32 PM
I think we'll realize how good he was next year.............

catbob
June 2nd, 2007, 03:29 PM
Man I'd love that job!

DetroitFlyer
June 2nd, 2007, 03:29 PM
He did nothing positive for the PFL. I'm very glad to see him go. I only hope his replacement reports on EVERY FCS team and conference in a positive manner.

rmutv
June 2nd, 2007, 04:07 PM
He did nothing positive for the PFL. I'm very glad to see him go. I only hope his replacement reports on EVERY FCS team and conference in a positive manner.

Dougherty was honest. That's why there wasn't much positive for the PFL or the MAAC, and even the NEC until last year.

He gave San Diego its props but cautioned that the Pioneers were untested overall, and he was right.

Not every media person should serve as a mouthpiece for the PFL or for any of the conferences.

TexasTerror
June 2nd, 2007, 05:21 PM
The employment page of The Sports Network...

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=other/misc/employment.htm

DetroitFlyer
June 2nd, 2007, 05:28 PM
What you call honest I call disparaging. If he was 'honest' as you claim, he would have disparaged all of FCS relative to FBS. Instead, he specifically disparaged the PFL. I AM VERY HAPPY TO SEE THAT FBS wannabe go.

GoldandBlack
June 2nd, 2007, 05:34 PM
The employment page of The Sports Network...

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=other/misc/employment.htm

Interesting wording in the ad- usually, "high-performance individual", "challenging...fast-paced environment", "self-starter" and "excel in a team environment", especially when used in one ad, means-

"We're going to throw you immediately to the wolves, and you better hit the ground running and get it, or your butt is out the door." - more or less.

BigApp
June 2nd, 2007, 05:35 PM
http://www3.sympatico.ca/ghanbuch/images/homepagegraphic.gif

smallcollegefbfan
June 2nd, 2007, 10:11 PM
What you call honest I call disparaging. If he was 'honest' as you claim, he would have disparaged all of FCS relative to FBS. Instead, he specifically disparaged the PFL. I AM VERY HAPPY TO SEE THAT FBS wannabe go.

I think most everyone has liked him except you so far. Did you and him have some sort of falling out or is it because he didn't show your league respect?

DetroitFlyer
June 3rd, 2007, 06:21 AM
I just got sick of his condesending attitude towards the PFL. He is obviously a fan of the PL, and he did not display that same kind of atitude about that league, even though the best PFL team last year was far better than any PL team IMHO. I'm hoping for a replacement that does not feel the need to tear down a particular conference to make himself / herself feel better.

TexasTerror
June 3rd, 2007, 07:07 AM
I just got sick of his condesending attitude towards the PFL. He is obviously a fan of the PL, and he did not display that same kind of atitude about that league, even though the best PFL team last year was far better than any PL team IMHO. I'm hoping for a replacement that does not feel the need to tear down a particular conference to make himself / herself feel better.

The best PFL team could not compete week in and week out against middle of the road teams in most AQ conferences...as we'll learn this year when San Diego, who will once again yawn a bit during the PFL stretch, actually plays a few AQ conference teams...

There was nothing compelling to say Matt D was wrong in his thoughts...hard to disagree...

phillyAPP
June 3rd, 2007, 09:25 AM
I was told it was something like that but did not realize it was the director position. It is good to see him advancing his career.

I wish him well and hope someday he comes back to the national scene. He was remarkably accurrate with his predictions and tried to be fair.

By the way detroit flyer, you are entitled to your opinion and you may be right, but from the posts so far he is considered unbiased,well informed, accurate, and a real professional at everything else he did except reporting on PFL.

Again, good luck to MATT. I hope he makes his way back down to APP State and THE ROCK.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2007, 11:02 AM

Interesting charge. Care to back that up with a single fact, big guy?

PantherRob82
June 3rd, 2007, 11:06 AM

Keep in mind that the PFL has very little impact on the FCS world.

That's like saying the BCS writers need to write more about the Sun Belt.

henfan
June 3rd, 2007, 12:28 PM
Best wishes to Matt. He did a fantastic job during his time at TSN.

As a replacement and if TSN could afford them, I'd nominate Mr. C., LFN, Aceinthehole, or Gannonfan just to name a few. Dudes all know their stuff.xbowx

Go...gate
June 3rd, 2007, 02:18 PM
Is he going to be PL Director of Media Relations?

colorless raider
June 3rd, 2007, 02:35 PM

This sounds like very good news for the :) PL. We sure needed an upgrade!

PSUVikings
June 3rd, 2007, 02:51 PM
Thanks for all you did Matt!

Who will be the heir?

smallcollegefbfan
June 3rd, 2007, 03:44 PM
Is he going to be PL Director of Media Relations?

Yes, he is.

mlbowl
June 4th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Good luck Mattxnodx

Appattk
June 4th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Do we know who will replace him at TSN?

GannonFan
June 4th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Keep in mind that the PFL has very little impact on the FCS world.

That's like saying the BCS writers need to write more about the Sun Belt.

Now that's funny! ;)

GannonFan
June 4th, 2007, 08:50 AM

Anyone who takes the job from now on will probably be learning on the job. I don't see someone who has been around for 20 plus years taking that job. I heard the pay is not enough to really have a family so you are looking at younger people who are either just starting out or haven't developed a family yet.

The job also requires a good bit of travel.

I agree with BHBK on this - Matt could write very well, but even by his own admissions he knew next to nothing about I-AA football when he started. Coming in after Tony Moss, who knew quite a bit, Matt was clearly behind the game in terms of just overall knowledge. To his credit, I think he certainly got better as the years moved on and at this point I think he was a pretty decent FCS analyst, but the next guy, unless they get someone from on here like Henfan mentioned, will suffer from the same lack of knowledge at the beginning like Matt did. While most of us have watched I-AA and now FCS football for decades, the reality is most of the general population doesn't know we exist (I'm okay with that, it has no impact whatsoever on my enjoyment of going to a game every Fall weekend) and whoever will replace Matt may very well come from "outside the family". And as the other poster said, this can't be a great paying job to begin with, plus with all the travel involved. It's not a job you'll see someone in for years.

henfan
June 4th, 2007, 10:03 AM
So, Gannonfan, what you're saying is, "If elected, I will not serve."xsmiley_wix

Hey, the commute down to Southampton wouldn't be that bad.

walliver
June 4th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Best wishes to Matt. He did a fantastic job during his time at TSN.

As a replacement and if TSN could afford them, I'd nominate Mr. C., LFN, Aceinthehole, or Gannonfan just to name a few. Dudes all know their stuff.xbowx

I'm beginning to think that there is a conspiracy by Mr. C to take over the FCS World. First he fills in for Rqalph and now there is an opening at SN.:D

I believe his weekly column will be intitled "The Appalachian State Football Championship Division Column":D

HIU 93
June 4th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Congrats and good luck.

GannonFan
June 4th, 2007, 10:27 AM
So, Gannonfan, what you're saying is, "If elected, I will not serve."xsmiley_wix

Hey, the commute down to Southampton wouldn't be that bad.

As long as it wouldn't interfere with my attendance at Delaware games! xsmiley_wix

smallcollegefbfan
June 4th, 2007, 10:51 AM
As long as it wouldn't interfere with my attendance at Delaware games! xsmiley_wix

I am not saying that people on the board here are not good enough, but, I personally would not mind seeing someone who has no connection to any school or their connection is to a really bad one and they know the FCS. People with an major bias to one school tend to throw them more bones than they should. Dougherty really didn't do that and that is something I enjoyed. The only thing about this is that whoever that person is would have to really study up on the FCS and everyone here knows it fairly well.

smallcollegefbfan
June 4th, 2007, 10:52 AM

What would you liked for him to have done for Dayton and the PFL that he did not do?

DetroitFlyer
June 4th, 2007, 11:35 AM
In reading Matt's articles over the years, it became obvious to me that he held the same "attitude" concerning the PFL as many AGS members. If you were a diehard fan of the PFL, you would know what I am talking about. Of course he worked to be a professional, but even the best let personal biases creep into their reporting. Matt was one of those guys who will never accept the PFL as just another FCS conference. There was always a "qualifier" in his comments, words like "weak", "non-scholarship", "mid-major", etc. were often present. It seemed very obvious to me that Matt did not think the PFL belonged in FCS. As I have said before, just look at what happens when an FBS writer even hints about FCS being inferior to FBS. You can hear the collective AGS screams all the way up here in Detroit. Now, let Matt use terms like "weak schedule" to refer directly or indirectly to the PFL, and most AGS members just smile and nod their heads.... Guess what fellas, in the eyes of many FBS fans, EVERY FCS team plays a weak schedule! Just imagine the uproar if you or any number of AGS members read that comment from an FBS writer somewhere.... His / her Email inbox would be full so fast with letters correcting that comment that it would be unreal. I'm not saying that Matt is not a good writer or that he did not do his homework. I just did not appreciate the "vibe" I got in reading his comments about the PFL.

BeauFoster
June 4th, 2007, 11:53 AM
In reading Matt's articles over the years, it became obvious to me that he held the same "attitude" concerning the PFL as many AGS members. If you were a diehard fan of the PFL, you would know what I am talking about. Of course he worked to be a professional, but even the best let personal biases creep into their reporting. Matt was one of those guys who will never accept the PFL as just another FCS conference. There was always a "qualifier" in his comments, words like "weak", "non-scholarship", "mid-major", etc. were often present. It seemed very obvious to me that Matt did not think the PFL belonged in FCS. As I have said before, just look at what happens when an FBS writer even hints about FCS being inferior to FBS. You can hear the collective AGS screams all the way up here in Detroit. Now, let Matt use terms like "weak schedule" to refer directly or indirectly to the PFL, and most AGS members just smile and nod their heads.... Guess what fellas, in the eyes of many FBS fans, EVERY FCS team plays a weak schedule! Just imagine the uproar if you or any number of AGS members read that comment from an FBS writer somewhere.... His / her Email inbox would be full so fast with letters correcting that comment that it would be unreal. I'm not saying that Matt is not a good writer or that he did not do his homework. I just did not appreciate the "vibe" I got in reading his comments about the PFL.

Most of the PFL does play a weak schedule, when compared to that of the other teams within FCS. I would have no problem reading someone in the media saying that ASU plays a weaker schedule than say...LSU. It is a fact. If you put the level of competition that ASU plays each week, versus the level that LSU plays, there is little comparison. That is not a dig a Furman or GSU or Wofford or WCU, just a reality. ASU's schedule is a tough schedule, when comparing apples to apples (not the toughest, not the easiest). Herein lies the SOS issue. The PFL wants to be a part of FCS, but doesn't really seem to want to be a part of it. They don't have scholies, so they aren't playing on the same field as most of the other conferences when it comes to enticing the players. Many of the teams do not step up to play other schools within the subdivision on a regular basis. You seem to want equal representation, but can't understand why you don't get it.

Heck, wouldn't you say that Troy plays a weaker schedule than LSU? Troy plays in the Sun Belt, meaning that they have to play all conference teams over the course of a season, just like teams in the PFL.

BigApp
June 4th, 2007, 12:02 PM
In reading Matt's articles over the years...

http://www.tombguard.org/Old_Guard_Integrates_1953.jpg

GannonFan
June 4th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Despite DetriotFlyers stance, I actually think Matt didn't do enough of a job of being objective in his opinion about the teams in the FCS - I thought at times he kinda sugarcoated it like an FCS SID would do, i.e. "every program is great, filled with great coaches and great student athletes, who all compete hard both on and off the field, isn't everything wonderful, every team is a winner..." yada yada yada. For a sports analyst, I actually want a little more verve and a little more edge in my reporting. Face it, some schools suck - no harm in saying that. Why sugar coat it? There are haves and have nots in FCS just like there are in any other division of any other sport - I don't want a media guy telling me how rosy everything is for the Kansas City Royals and how well they fit into the rest of MLB - they're a doormat and a bottom-dweller and I shouldn't be bamboozled into thinking otherwise because the reporter wanted to be kind to everybody in baseball.

I'm all for a lot more honesty. DetroitFlyer bemoans the press the PFL got under Dougherty, but I take the opposite opinion and say he wasn't forceful enough - just come out and say it - the PFL plays too many DIII teams and does not play enough games against other, especially average to top flight FCS schools, to have a good enough gauge to properly evaluate them, and until they do they're subject to condensension, as would be any other conference that would similarly isolate themselves from the rest of the FCS. There, that wasn't hard. That way we take the guessing out of it and there's no silly theories that persist that the snub is due to funding or due to an AGS board. Same with the SWAC 9-game mandate - he should've been denouncing that since he walked in the door - heck, most SWAC people didn't like the mandate, it should have been easy to pillory.

I want the position to be more of a "PTI" type reporter - one who isn't afraid to come up with and voice opinion, especially opinion that is well defended. Moss did a lot of that later in his tenure in that role, probably due to years of familiarity, and I don't feel Dougherty ever really got past the cheerleader mode where he was the spokesman for all that's good about FCS. I don't mind hearing about the warts and bedsores that obviously exist in FCS, no sense hiding them. xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
June 4th, 2007, 12:20 PM

Would you not agree that San Diego was by far the best team in the PFL last year and even among the Mid-Majors? They were beaten pretty good by a Great West team that was not even ranked.

If San Diego lost that bad to UC Davis how can you not say they were weaker compared to the UMASS, App State, Montana, YSU, etc. of the world?

If he were making the PFL sound equal to the CAA then people would have laughed at that because they were not true.

Now, if you are saying he should at least acknowledge the Mid-Major as FCS and not a sub-par classification then maybe they should not be called mid-majors. It sounds to me that by playing for your own title you are saying your champion is not the same as the overall champ, yet your champ is eligible for the playoffs if selected? I say we let the overall FCS champ take on the Mid-Major champ and see just how close it really is.

smallcollegefbfan
June 4th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Despite DetriotFlyers stance, I actually think Matt didn't do enough of a job of being objective in his opinion about the teams in the FCS - I thought at times he kinda sugarcoated it like an FCS SID would do, i.e. "every program is great, filled with great coaches and great student athletes, who all compete hard both on and off the field, isn't everything wonderful, every team is a winner..." yada yada yada. For a sports analyst, I actually want a little more verve and a little more edge in my reporting. Face it, some schools suck - no harm in saying that. Why sugar coat it? There are haves and have nots in FCS just like there are in any other division of any other sport - I don't want a media guy telling me how rosy everything is for the Kansas City Royals and how well they fit into the rest of MLB - they're a doormat and a bottom-dweller and I shouldn't be bamboozled into thinking otherwise because the reporter wanted to be kind to everybody in baseball.

I'm all for a lot more honesty. DetroitFlyer bemoans the press the PFL got under Dougherty, but I take the opposite opinion and say he wasn't forceful enough - just come out and say it - the PFL plays too many DIII teams and does not play enough games against other, especially average to top flight FCS schools, to have a good enough gauge to properly evaluate them, and until they do they're subject to condensension, as would be any other conference that would similarly isolate themselves from the rest of the FCS. There, that wasn't hard. That way we take the guessing out of it and there's no silly theories that persist that the snub is due to funding or due to an AGS board. Same with the SWAC 9-game mandate - he should've been denouncing that since he walked in the door - heck, most SWAC people didn't like the mandate, it should have been easy to pillory.

I want the position to be more of a "PTI" type reporter - one who isn't afraid to come up with and voice opinion, especially opinion that is well defended. Moss did a lot of that later in his tenure in that role, probably due to years of familiarity, and I don't feel Dougherty ever really got past the cheerleader mode where he was the spokesman for all that's good about FCS. I don't mind hearing about the warts and bedsores that obviously exist in FCS, no sense hiding them. xthumbsupx

I think he didn't sugarcoat because he was a nice guy who did not want to make schools mad at him. Some reporters don't care if that happens, seems he did.

Would you be willing to take the job?

Whoever takes this job is going to have to move, plain and simple. I don't see any of the current names out there that we have thought of willing to move. I would expect to see someone young who has yet to really establish a family get the job. The job is long hours, hard work, plenty of travel, and you would have to uproot yourself from where you are now. Not many experienced people out there willing to do that for less than 50k.

HENJOHN
June 4th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I really liked the job Matt did. I am not sure what everyone wants or expects from that position, but I beleive he was very knowledgeable on I-AA football and did his homework as much as you could expect. I thought Tony Moss was just as good. Anyway, best wishes to Matt in his new endeavor.

MACHIAVELLI
June 4th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Good Luck to my best friend.

GaSouthern
June 4th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Ditto!

blukeys
June 4th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Good Luck Matt!!!! Best wishes in the future!!!!!

Green26
June 5th, 2007, 07:40 AM
I liked Matt's coverage and thought he did a terrific job. His coverage, information and analysis was picking up steam as he gained more experience in the job. He will be missed.

BestOfBreed
June 5th, 2007, 09:53 AM
I didn't think anyone could take the place of Tony Moss but he came close. Good luck Matt.

YoUDeeMan
June 5th, 2007, 01:39 PM
I enjoyed the columns by Tony and Matt. Both took the time to respond quickly to my e-mails and provided solid responses each time.

Any new person will have a learning curve also. No matter how well someone knows their conference or region, they will need to step out of their box a little and gain a better knowledge of the FCS world.

Good luck Matt! xthumbsupx

MR. CHICKEN
June 5th, 2007, 06:58 PM
AH LIKED MATT........HIS WORK WAS FUN TA READ........GOOD LUCK MATT!

BigApp
June 5th, 2007, 07:34 PM
BRAWK!!!!

TheValleyRaider
June 5th, 2007, 07:49 PM
He was a good writer, and always seemed to have solid reasons for making his picks. It's a tough position to be in, being one of the few major voices on a subject. I think in regards to GF's criticism, about a need for edge and verve, he did a good job in not just analyzing the division, but promoting it, much like Ralph does. It's a fine line to tread, and maybe, from time to time, he could have come down a little harder on, say Pioneer schedules or the SWAC mandate (to use examples from this thread), but at the same time he was able to paint a picture of a lively, competitive subset of College Football, one I think we are all proud to be a part of. SN's loss will be the Patriot League's gain xnodx

appfan2008
June 5th, 2007, 08:14 PM
his overall national coverage of all of the games in fcs on a given weekend was where many people got their fcs info... it will be sad to see him leave...