PDA

View Full Version : Iona announces 56 football recruits!

Lehigh Football Nation
June 1st, 2007, 08:42 PM
Yup. Not a typo. Announced this week.

http://www.icgaels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=64397&SPID=7109&DB_OEM_ID=14900&ATCLID=900969

The Gaels return 70 players from last year's squad including 10 starters on defense and six starters on the offensive side of the ball. The team is set to report for summer training camp on August 7. The Gaels open their 2007 slate at Mazzella Field on Sept. 1 against Delaware Valley College at 1:00 pm.

126 players in camp? That ought to be fun. xlolx

Seawolf97
June 1st, 2007, 08:44 PM
Thats a small army.

youwouldno
June 1st, 2007, 08:45 PM
I thought there were rules about how many guys you could have in camp?

danefan
June 1st, 2007, 08:46 PM
That's ridiculous.

Zoo
June 1st, 2007, 08:53 PM
Too bad they'll still suck. xnonono2x

DFW HOYA
June 1st, 2007, 09:28 PM
Give Iona credit for a, well, creative schedule. Three straight home games, opeing with D-III Delaware Valley, but six of its next eight on the road including games at New Hampshire and Cal Poly. (They may need those 56 recruits by the time it's all over.)

If nothing else, it's a sign that Iona is really hitting the recruiting trail despite the tenuous state of the MAAC.

OLDLCOACH111
June 1st, 2007, 09:28 PM
I thought there were rules about how many guys you could have in camp?

From my understanding you can only have 100 or so athletes in camp possibly less, the rest have to walk on and/or tryout when school starts..

bison137
June 2nd, 2007, 12:01 AM
From my understanding you can only have 100 or so athletes in camp possibly less, the rest have to walk on and/or tryout when school starts..

In Iona's case I believe they are allowed 110 athletes in pre-season camp. If they have a true JV, which I doubt they have, then they could have more.

Looking at the list of freshmen, I think it's safe to say that some of them are not serious candidates for playing time.

Franks Tanks
June 2nd, 2007, 07:25 AM
In Iona's case I believe they are allowed 110 athletes in pre-season camp. If they have a true JV, which I doubt they have, then they could have more.

Looking at the list of freshmen, I think it's safe to say that some of them are not serious candidates for playing time.

I wasnt aware there were any NCAA restrictions regarding how many kids can be in camp, i think the individual school usually puts a cap on it for title 9 and general cost containment. When I was at West Point (briefly) we must have had 50 freashman in camp and about 140 total kids. Perhaps the academies have special rules? Can anyone shed some light on this.

danefan
June 2nd, 2007, 07:45 AM
I wasnt aware there were any NCAA restrictions regarding how many kids can be in camp, i think the individual school usually puts a cap on it for title 9 and general cost containment. When I was at West Point (briefly) we must have had 50 freashman in camp and about 140 total kids. Perhaps the academies have special rules? Can anyone shed some light on this.

I think Service academies are exempt from the rule (I was one of 13 freshman QBs at Air Force...also briefly).

17.10.2.1.2 Limit on Number of Participants—Division I-AA. In Division I-AA football, there
shall be a limit of 90 student-athletes who may engage in practice activities prior to the institution’s
first day of classes or the institution’s first contest, whichever occurs earlier. ( A d o p t e d :
1 / 1 1 / 9 4 )
17.10.2.1.2.1 Exception—Limited Preseason-Practice Opportunities. There shall be a limit
of 110 student-athletes who may engage in such preseason-practice activities at an institution
that establishes its first preseason practice date based on 27 practice opportunities, per
Bylaw 17.02.11 (including practice opportunities for first-time participants). This exception
shall apply exclusively to institutions that award financial aid in the sport of football pursuant
to the following criteria, even if there are student-athletes who participate in football
and one or more other sports who receive athletics aid in sport(s) other than football: ( A d o p ted:
1/11/94, Revised: 1/10/95)
( a ) In the sport of football, the institution awards financial aid only to student-athletes who
demonstrate financial need, except that loans, academic honor awards, nonathletics
achievement awards, or on-campus employment and certain aid from outside sources
may be provided without regard to financial need;
( b ) The institution uses methodologies for analyzing need that conform to federal, state and
written institutional guidelines. The methodologies used to determine the need of a student-
athlete must be consistent with the methodologies used by the institution’s financial
aid office for all students; and ( R e v i s e d : 1 / 1 0 / 9 5 )
( c ) The composition of the financial aid package offered to football student-athletes is consistent
with the policy established for offering financial assistance to all students. The financial
aid packages for football student-athletes also shall meet the following criteria:
( 1 ) The institution shall not consider athletics ability as a criterion in the formulation of
any football student-athlete’s financial aid package; and
( 2 ) The procedures used to award financial aid to football student-athletes must be the
same as the existing financial aid procedures utilized for all students at the institution.

I would imagine that Iona qualifies for the exception which would allow 110 kids in camp.

Franks Tanks
June 2nd, 2007, 09:40 AM
I think Service academies are exempt from the rule (I was one of 13 freshman QBs at Air Force...also briefly).

I would imagine that Iona qualifies for the exception which would allow 110 kids in camp.

Ya great info, at Lafayette we usually had right around 100 kids in camp as we usually took in quite a few walk-ons if you will, so i suspect we were excempt as well

downbythebeach
June 3rd, 2007, 11:52 PM
Have you ever seen how many players some D-III teams bring in? I had some friends who, a few years ago now, played at small colleges in Ohio and PA which had little else to offer other than football. These teams brought in over 100 freshman every years expecting all but perhaps 20 to quit by senior year. I heard a story one time from a friend of mine who was one of something like 26 centers on his team (Mount Union College), and he could not even make teams second best J.V. squad.

BigApp
June 4th, 2007, 01:30 PM
56 recruits? did the rest of the team quit??

DetroitFlyer
June 4th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I do not know how Iona does it, but "non-scholarship" teams most likely do not "recruit" 56 kids. I'm betting that a fair chunk of those kids are actually "walk-ons" or "try-out" kids that contacted Iona. It is an easy way for Iona to further evaluate talent and to pick the best of the group for the team in the fall. This is also a great technique to conceal the kids that were actually recruited.I think what you are seeing, ( my guess only ), is that kids want to play at the highest level possible. A kid who could pay to play Division III, might just "walk-on" or "try out" for a shot at playing at FCS Iona. I also think that this is fairly common, kids would rather play FCS than settling on Division III. It would be interesting to take this list and compare it to the fall roster.... I'm betting that about half of the total do not make the team....

bison137
June 4th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Iona's roster for the 2006 season included 40 freshmen. Their roster for the upcoming 2007 season shows 29 sophs, although I did not check to see if all 29 were among the 40 from last year. In total, they show 70 on the roster for next season, not counting the incoming frosh. My guess is that a few of the 29 sophs, and more than a few of the 56 freshmen, won't be around by the start of the 2007 season.

Pard4Life
June 5th, 2007, 11:57 AM

Tavani himself has said Lafayette reached the maximum they can have in August camp in 2002 or 2003... I think it is just give or take two above/below 100..