PDA

View Full Version : Questions for NEC Fans

Model Citizen
June 1st, 2007, 03:44 PM
1. Do you expect your school and conference to continue to call their football "Mid-Major?" (continue using Mid-Major in press releases, participate in the TSN Mid-Major poll, etc.)

2. Do you support creating a separate Mid-Major NCAA playoff for the NEC, MAAC, and PFL? How about if it meant you were locked out of the current playoff...and I mean formally locked out.

3. If the NEC had the opportunity to extend the Gridiron Classic through the 2009 season, should they do it? Why or why not?

Model Citizen
June 1st, 2007, 03:45 PM
NEC fans, please state your school affiliation, if it isn't obvious from the name you use.

UAalum72
June 1st, 2007, 05:09 PM
1. Do you expect your school and conference to continue to call their football "Mid-Major?" (continue using Mid-Major in press releases, participate in the TSN Mid-Major poll, etc.)

2. Do you support creating a separate Mid-Major NCAA playoff for the NEC, MAAC, and PFL? How about if it meant you were locked out of the current playoff...and I mean formally locked out.

3. If the NEC had the opportunity to extend the Gridiron Classic through the 2009 season, should they do it? Why or why not?
1. Probably. I don't know that we refer to ourselves as MM, but when it's a poll or press release, they'll take any press they can get. I'd rather they didn't.

2. No, NO, NO. There's no need to be associated at all with what will be left of MAAC football (down to four teams by 2008). And there's no need for a playoff for fewer than twenty teams.

What do you mean by formally locked out - forbidden even to get an at-large? Not gonna happen, are we Division I or not? Are there any teams in any NCAA sport that are not ALLOWED into the playoffs (other than transitioners, probationers, and FBS football)

3. No. I don't care. It's just another ploy that undermines getting into the playoffs. Even if a team is being considered for an at-large, some committee members have got to have in the back of their minds ' we don't have to give them a playoff bid, they've got their Gridiron F***ing Classic to go to'.

rmutv
June 1st, 2007, 05:46 PM

1. Until they go full scholarship or became active participants in post-season play that is not of their own creation, I expect most teams to continue using the Mid-Major tag. Yes, it's technically a media designation, but it's also in use quite a bit by the schools. It's just a name. I'm more interested in results.

2. NO! The goal is to move to the point where playoff appearances are expected. Creating a seperate playoff is a step backwards.

3. No. It's become evident that NEC teams can play with others on their way to reaching the goal specified above. They may not reach that in 2009, but re-establishing the Gridiron Classic would not be symbolic of progress.

Model Citizen
June 1st, 2007, 06:31 PM
What do you mean by formally locked out - forbidden even to get an at-large?

There's been a proposal, since withdrawn, to put a scholarship minimum on conferences receiving auto playoff bids. A requirement for a conference average of 50 equivalencies, for example, would lock out the NEC.

If the fully funded conferences giveth a MM playoff, they would taketh away any possibility of getting into the Appalachian State Invitational. That was the proposed deal, and it may come back.

Model Citizen
June 1st, 2007, 06:31 PM
What do you mean by formally locked out - forbidden even to get an at-large?

There was a proposal, since withdrawn, to put a scholarship minimum on conferences receiving auto playoff bids. A requirement for a conference average of 50 equivalencies, for example, would lock out the NEC.

If the fully funded conferences giveth a MM playoff, they would taketh away any possibility of getting into the Appalachian State Invitational. That was the proposed deal, and it may come back.

danefan
June 1st, 2007, 07:57 PM
- I do expect the NEC conference to continue, however I do not expect Albany to actively participate. Albany has not used the term "mid major" in press releases since they began offering scholarships. I believe they always end the press release by saying that "Albany plays in the NEC, a limited-scholarship I-AA conference"...or something like that.

-NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if we wouldn't be formally locked out, I still adamantly oppose it!

-No. The Gridiron Classic is nothing more than a ploy. Either you make the playoffs or you don't. If you're not in an AQ league, then you should be scheduling and trying to get an At-large and if you aren't doing that you should be making plans for Thanksgiving Dinner at home.

Seawolf97
June 1st, 2007, 08:40 PM
This is a great thread . Hope we see more input from other NEC members.

Calif_Colonial
June 1st, 2007, 10:25 PM

1. Probably the NEC will continue to use the term Mid-Major. I won't be though, schools of the NEC like U of Albany, Central Conn. State and Monmouth and I am counting on RMU (in the near future) had some outstanding wins out of conference that surprised alot of fans around the country. I don't think there is anyway going back after what I have seen since 2004.

2. No Way! I say we continue to grow and improve as a conference and make it to the FCS playoffs like everyone else. Winning out of conference and hopefully impressing the selection committee.

3. I am not for it. The top of the NEC have other things to work for. That is NCAA Div. I championships. That is in all sports and that includes Football.

UAalum72
June 1st, 2007, 10:41 PM
There was a proposal, since withdrawn, to put a scholarship minimum on conferences receiving auto playoff bids. A requirement for a conference average of 50 equivalencies, for example, would lock out the NEC.
I hadn't heard that proposal had been withdrawn. Good. It was poorly worded, and the level was blatantly set so the NEC would be out while all the current autobids weren't threatened - if it had been set at a logical number like 56.75 (90%, the FBS-opponent qualifier) I'll bet a couple of conferences might have been in trouble.

The Gridiron Classic has practically the same affect

aceinthehole
June 2nd, 2007, 11:06 AM

I too agree with my NEC peers.

1) I DO NOT support the use of the term "mid-major" for CCSU or NEC football. I HOPE the teams and conference make an effort to avoid this term at all cost. In reality I expect to see the term sprinkled in regarding some "polls" or "all-america teams"

2) NO! This is not even a question. We are I-AA (FCS) and we shall work toward the existing playoff system!

3) I DO NOT think they shoud extend the Gridiron Classic after this season's commitment. However, if we do extend it, it must be on the condition that conference champions picked as an at-large can be repaced by the runner-up.

Model Citizen
June 2nd, 2007, 01:12 PM
Thank you for the detailed responses so far.

If the NEC follows your suggestion to stop enabling the MM thing, I believe that label would vanish. Otherwise, won't the 2008 MM poll be identical to the PFL standings?

danefan
June 2nd, 2007, 04:06 PM
Thank you for the detailed responses so far.

If the NEC follows your suggestion to stop enabling the MM thing, I believe that label would vanish. Otherwise, won't the 2008 MM poll be identical to the PFL standings?

Yes, with the exception of possibly Marist.

Seahawks Fan
June 4th, 2007, 08:20 AM

I don't believe the NEC calls its' football program 'Mid Major'. That is something the Rating Services invented.

No, do not support this. Not sure what formally locked out means. If an NEC school desreves an invite to the playoffs, they should get one.

I'm in the minority on this. I support the extension of the Gridiron Classic until the time comes when the NEC champion is invited to the playoffs.

danefan
June 4th, 2007, 12:10 PM
[quote=Seahawks Fan;554397]1. Do you expect your school and conference to continue to call their football "Mid-Major?" (continue using Mid-Major in press releases, participate in the TSN Mid-Major poll, etc.)

I don't believe the NEC calls its' football program 'Mid Major'. That is something the Rating Services invented.

Actually, its my understanding, from 89Hen I think, that the mid major moniker was a joint collaboration between the media folks and the SID's themselves. Correct me if I'm wrong.

BobbyMo
June 4th, 2007, 12:17 PM
I too agree with my NEC peers.

1) I DO NOT support the use of the term "mid-major" for CCSU or NEC football. I HOPE the teams and conference make an effort to avoid this term at all cost. In reality I expect to see the term sprinkled in regarding some "polls" or "all-america teams"

2) NO! This is not even a question. We are I-AA (FCS) and we shall work toward the existing playoff system!

3) I DO NOT think they shoud extend the Gridiron Classic after this season's commitment. However, if we do extend it, it must be on the condition that conference champions picked as an at-large can be repaced by the runner-up.

I am with everything ace is saying, though the MidMajor term is not a really big deal to me. I do not like it, but I think as long as NEC teams play and beat teams from AQ conferences then the name will no longer be associated with us.

downbythebeach
June 4th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Saint Francis University....they only have our old helmets on here so I just pick random schools and places I have friends at.

1. I do not expect it and really hope not. The ADs have to realize that this is pretty much a demeaning term. Its like less than 20 freaking teams anyway.

2. No, unless the ivy was forced to play in it, but that won't happen.

3. I would not be opposed to two more years, but I would hope by 2009 we will have made more progress that it won't be necessary. We first have to win a GC to worry about the playoffs (unless USD is a true FCS powerhouse).

89Hen
June 5th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Actually, its my understanding, from 89Hen I think, that the mid major moniker was a joint collaboration between the media folks and the SID's themselves. Correct me if I'm wrong.
The only thing I can correct you on is that it wasn't me who said that. I have no info on from where the name came. Sorry. :o

danefan
June 5th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Maybe it was HenFan. I know it was a Delaware fan!

DFW HOYA
June 5th, 2007, 08:14 PM
[quote=Seahawks Fan;554397]Actually, its my understanding, from 89Hen I think, that the mid major moniker was a joint collaboration between the media folks and the SID's themselves. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The mid-major moniker began with Don Hansen, who used to publish a small college football annual.

http://www.donhansen.com/polls/ncaa1-aamid.php

danefan
June 5th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Regardless, its counterproductive for the NEC to participate in it.

henfan
June 6th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Maybe it was HenFan. I know it was a Delaware fan!

It was me and you quoted me correctly. Check your PM.

danefan
June 6th, 2007, 10:50 AM
It was me and you quoted me correctly. Check your PM.

I just did, but I didn't get any new PMs.

henfan
June 6th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Check again.

Seahawks Fan
June 7th, 2007, 07:39 AM
[QUOTE=danefan;554631]

The mid-major moniker began with Don Hansen, who used to publish a small college football annual.

http://www.donhansen.com/polls/ncaa1-aamid.php

I agree with that. It did not start from the NEC. You won't find any reference to Mid Major on the NEC website, or, for that matter, any of the NEC football schools.

henfan
June 7th, 2007, 09:25 AM
You won't find any reference to Mid Major on the NEC website, or, for that matter, any of the NEC football schools.

That's just a silly comment. Over the last 5 or so years, I received dozens of emails and hardcopy mailings from NEC, MAAC & PFL schools pushing their players and teams for mid-major honors. In fact, you don't have to look that far to see a conference like the NEC promoting the 'mid-major' term on their About the NEC webpage:

...Three NEC women’s basketball teams (Quinnipiac, Robert Morris and Sacred Heart) reached 20 wins in the same season for the first time in league history and three NEC football teams (CCSU, Monmouth & Stony Brook) finished in the top-10 in the final Sports Network I-AA Mid-Major poll...
http://www.northeastconference.org/Sports/general/2004/gen_aboutnec.asp?nl=1

The PFL, NEC & MAAC may not have created the 'mid-major' term per se, but as early as 1997, they were and still are actively promoting the term. The conference worked in conjunction with The Sports Network to set up the separate poll, All American Awards and mid-major Championship Cup, and their active support continues to this day.

When the 'mid-major' term no longer provides the respective conferences and schools with any mileage, they'll ask TSN to discontinue its sponsorship of separate polls, honors, the Cup, etc. Until then, like it or not, the 'mid-major' term will probably keep being used. It's entirely up to the conferences.

Model Citizen
June 7th, 2007, 09:31 AM
It took me about 30 seconds to find this on the NEC site.

http://www.northeastconference.org/news/fball/2006/12/4/tsn_football06.asp?path=fball

downbythebeach
June 7th, 2007, 12:26 PM
The creation of the MM moniker was a great idea so I can't fault the NEC. Basically they said give us some awards and rank us in a poll....its better to win a MM national championship than to just be seen as 30th best team in the nation. Should it continue? prob not, but if we keep winning it will go away soon enough.

Seahawks Fan
June 8th, 2007, 07:00 AM
It took me about 30 seconds to find this on the NEC site.

http://www.northeastconference.org/news/fball/2006/12/4/tsn_football06.asp?path=fball

Oooops! I stand corrected.