PDA

View Full Version : Princeton Coach on Hampton

HIU 93
June 1st, 2007, 02:01 PM
Princeton's Head Football Coach on the Hampton game.

There is a change to next season’s schedule, and Princeton will host Hampton, an NCAA tournament team, next season on Oct. 6. What are your feelings about this move?

It’s a great opportunity and will be a great challenge for us. I believe Hampton had more players at the NFL combine than any I-AA team in the country. I have a tremendous amount of respect for their head coach, Joe Taylor, and I’m anxious to learn from him. He is one of the classiest and most respected men in our field. For the kids, it will be an opportunity for them. They are clamoring to go to the NCAAs, and now they have a chance to play against a scholarship school that has NCAA experience. It will be a unique, challenging game for us.

http://www.goprincetontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID...=10600&ATCLID=880021

Go...gate
June 1st, 2007, 02:07 PM
I will be at Princeton Stadium for that game. It will be a Hell of a match-up.

GannonFan
June 1st, 2007, 02:13 PM
Again, confirmation that there are certainly elements in the Ivy-world that would like a shot at the post-season. Should be a good game as both are pretty top schools in their repsective conferences. Good for all of FCS. xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
June 1st, 2007, 02:20 PM
Again, confirmation that there are certainly elements in the Ivy-world that would like a shot at the post-season. Should be a good game as both are pretty top schools in their repsective conferences. Good for all of FCS. xthumbsupx

Generally speaking, I think most current players are for playing in the FCS playoffs. I think the coaches are too... as well as the fans... FCS pundits... fans around FCS... and (though I haven't performed a formal poll) the cheerleaders and bands are probably as well.

So what's stopping them? *cough* Ivy presidents *cough*

Franks Tanks
June 1st, 2007, 03:34 PM
Princeton's Head Football Coach on the Hampton game.

There is a change to next season’s schedule, and Princeton will host Hampton, an NCAA tournament team, next season on Oct. 6. What are your feelings about this move?

It’s a great opportunity and will be a great challenge for us. I believe Hampton had more players at the NFL combine than any I-AA team in the country. I have a tremendous amount of respect for their head coach, Joe Taylor, and I’m anxious to learn from him. He is one of the classiest and most respected men in our field. For the kids, it will be an opportunity for them. They are clamoring to go to the NCAAs, and now they have a chance to play against a scholarship school that has NCAA experience. It will be a unique, challenging game for us.

http://www.goprincetontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID...=10600&ATCLID=880021

I am excited for this game as well, but Princeton routinely play schools that have competed and done well in the playoffs in the prior year i.e. Lafayette, Lehigh, Colgate

HIU 93
June 1st, 2007, 03:35 PM
I am excited for this game as well, but Princeton routinely play schools that have competed and done well in the playoffs in the prior year i.e. Lafayette, Lehigh, Colgate

Well, that quote is from Coach Hughes on Princeton's athletic site.

Cleets
June 1st, 2007, 03:36 PM

xnodx

Harvard can play some football these days... I'd love to see more O.C. action

Franks Tanks
June 1st, 2007, 03:37 PM
Well, that quote is from Coach Hughes on Princeton's athletic site.

I understand it was just a curious way of stating that. Its great to see the Ivies playing someone other than each other or the Patriots. I believe others will be surprised by the level of talent contained in teh Ivies.

Cleets
June 1st, 2007, 03:38 PM
xnodx

Harvard can play some football these days... I'd love to see more O.C. action
Yale does not suck either, but don't tell them that they get all excited and weird... it's creepy

putter
June 1st, 2007, 03:58 PM
THat is great to hear. I would love to see the Griz be able to travel back east more to play the Ivy's and other teams like in the early 2000's.

PantherRob82
June 1st, 2007, 06:42 PM
should be a great game.

bulldog10jw
June 1st, 2007, 08:27 PM
Yale does not suck either, but don't tell them that they get all excited and weird... it's creepy

Not true. We even get excited when we DO suck.:p

ngineer
June 1st, 2007, 10:03 PM
Not true. We even get excited when we DO suck.:p

..For more than four hours?;) :D :p

Ronbo
June 2nd, 2007, 12:02 AM
THat is great to hear. I would love to see the Griz be able to travel back east more to play the Ivy's and other teams like in the early 2000's.

I'd love to see it too putter but alas, it's about $150,000 to $175,000 to get a football team from Montana to the East Coast and from the East Coast to Montana. I doubt we'll see many more East Coast games with the Griz. Get used to the Southern Utah, Cal Poly, and UC Davis games, they are our only options out West.

89Hen
June 2nd, 2007, 10:08 AM
Not all of them.

R.A.
June 2nd, 2007, 08:15 PM
Hampton should win, even though they have many new players... they are a talented squad.

ngineer
June 2nd, 2007, 10:34 PM
Comments are a little strange since Princeton has gone up against Lafayette and Lehigh fairly regularly in past years when they've been in the playoffs with good teams. I would go with Hampton, but should be a good game.

Ivytalk
June 2nd, 2007, 10:42 PM
Hampton should prevail.xtwocentsx

Hampton WILL prevail!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Eat dirt, Tigers!:p

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2007, 07:45 AM
For the kids, it will be an opportunity for them. They are clamoring to go to the NCAAs, and now they have a chance to play against a scholarship school that has NCAA experience.

Read the original quote again. They are considering Hampton a scholarship program, while Lehigh, Lafayette and Colgate are "not scholarship". A hair-splitting point, but one that probably isn't one PL fans should get in a tizzy.

HIU 93
June 3rd, 2007, 07:46 PM
I understand it was just a curious way of stating that. Its great to see the Ivies playing someone other than each other or the Patriots. I believe others will be surprised by the level of talent contained in teh Ivies.

Our players won't. Coach Taylor does not send an unprepared team into any game.

Franks Tanks
June 3rd, 2007, 09:07 PM
Our players won't. Coach Taylor does not send an unprepared team into any game.

I fully expect it to be a great game. I think both teams should be pretty even talent wise, but with an edge going to hampton

HIU 93
June 4th, 2007, 07:41 AM
I fully expect it to be a great game. I think both teams should be pretty even talent wise, but with an edge going to hampton

I think it will be a great game. I don't know enough about Princeton to claim a talent advantage, but I am claiming an undefeated season for my Pirates.

So the rest of the MEAC, Princeton, and SIU better tighten up their chinstraps, because it's game time!