PDA

View Full Version : Beer At The Stadium

OB55
May 31st, 2007, 10:00 AM
Seems rare these days, UNC has sold cups of draft beer at their football games for at least thirty years. Current price for a 16oz cup is $6.00. Does anybody else sell beer??

Benne
May 31st, 2007, 10:02 AM
I though tasty beverages were banned at all athletic sites by the NCAA. I could be wrong though.

andy7171
May 31st, 2007, 10:06 AM
Hell no! Towson just legalized tailgating 5 years ago!

Gil Dobie
May 31st, 2007, 10:07 AM
Fargodome = No Beer
Metrodome = Yes Beer, for at least one Bison road game.

KJ Eagle
May 31st, 2007, 10:09 AM
My understanding is that it depends on if the stadium is on campus. If it is on campus, the NCAA has some control over it. If not, they don't. I don't know if UNC's is considered on campus or not though, so I may be talking out of my arse...xrolleyesx

Benne
May 31st, 2007, 10:10 AM
I'm not talking about tailgating or campus policy, but I was damn sure that you couldn't drink in the arena, gym, fieldhouse, or even a shared facility if it was an NCAA sponsered event. It just surprises me.

813Jag
May 31st, 2007, 10:11 AM
No beer at on campus stadiums. $8 beers at Raymond James. xnonono2x

Bisondad
May 31st, 2007, 10:14 AM
I think they still serve beer at Camp Randall. maybe that's not considered "on campus"?

spelunker64
May 31st, 2007, 10:18 AM
No more beer for the 'goofers' after they get thier on-campus sadium.

We might not play them anymore anyway after what Coach Brewster said about scheduling the likes of NDSU...

Dukie95
May 31st, 2007, 10:19 AM
I was a little surprised that beer was available at Georgetown basketball games at the Verizon center. I'm thinking it's ok if it's off campus.

HIU 93
May 31st, 2007, 10:22 AM
No beer at on campus stadiums, so no for us. Alcohol is not allowed on Hampton University's campus, period, so our school rule supercedes the NCAA rule.

UNHWILDCATS05
May 31st, 2007, 10:30 AM
I don't think the NCAA regulates where beer can be sold - It is regulated by state law on a state by state basis... For example, in New Hampshire, there is no alcohol sold at any NCAA events, even ones off campus; however, at Boston University they do serve beer at the Agganis Arena (Hockey) which is located on campus. Maybe it is different for football, but I don't think the NCAA is involved.

Go...gate
May 31st, 2007, 10:40 AM
No beer sales in Andy Kerr Stadium, but it gets smuggled in - you need lots of anti-freeze in that Hamilton weather.

poly51
May 31st, 2007, 10:40 AM
Cal Poly has no beer or smoking at Spanos/Mustang Stadium. Baggett Stadium is the baseball stadium and is on campus. It has beer only until the current contract with the vendor expires. Cal Poly is a dry campus except for a few special locations like the Performing Arts Center.

813Jag
May 31st, 2007, 10:42 AM
Somehow alcohol finds it's way into A.W. Mumford Stadium. xcoolx ;)

MYTAPPY
May 31st, 2007, 11:02 AM
If I remeber correctly I think there was beer sold at the SoCon basketball tournament one year when it was held at the Bi-Lo Center in Greenville, SC. I could be wrong.xchinscratchx

There is alcohol present at Kidd Brewer Stadium via my socks.xshhhx

Cobblestone
May 31st, 2007, 11:17 AM
Seems rare these days, UNC has sold cups of draft beer at their football games for at least thirty years. Current price for a 16oz cup is $6.00. Does anybody else sell beer??

UCONN does at Rentschler Field and that's why I stopped going to games there. I'm not an alumnus or fan of that school but I live close to the CT border and it was nice to see Big Least football. However, too many idiots abuse the alcohol and do a good job of ruining a good time for others. Personally I like a cold beer as much as the next dude but I see real hypocrisy with beer sold at NCAA events.

slostang
May 31st, 2007, 11:42 AM
Portland State sells beer at their off campus stadium, PG&E Park.

DaBears
May 31st, 2007, 11:49 AM
I don't know what the NCAA's policy is but UNC's stadium is on campus and they do sell beer.

BearsCountry
May 31st, 2007, 12:04 PM
We dont on any of our campus venues, it will change at our new bb arena but that will be at the club level only. But our baseball is played off campus and beer sales are allowed their. Also at the MVC tournament in St. Louis, beer is sold.

Mountaineer#96
May 31st, 2007, 12:26 PM
No beer SOLD at Kidd Brewer, but it is there. What you can buy is a mean chopped BBQ sandwhich sold under the home side of the stadium.

McNeese75
May 31st, 2007, 02:10 PM
Why worry about buying it at the game. You can just walk back out to the tailgate area before, during and after the game and drink what you brought xthumbsupx

Saint3333
May 31st, 2007, 02:12 PM
You can't exist Kidd Brewer and tailgate, if you do you can't return until the 4th quarter.

I believe things are different in the boxes once built. Montana fans is this how it works in your boxes?

AppGuy04
May 31st, 2007, 02:13 PM
No alcohol sold at North Carolina college games at any level

aggie6thman
May 31st, 2007, 02:19 PM

It would be nice to be able to drink during tailgating events, but so far we can't. Seems odd since we have an on campus brewery, pub and are one of the leaders in viticulture.xsmiley_wix xconfusedx xsmhx xeyebrowx

WildcatFan
May 31st, 2007, 02:28 PM
UMASS sells beer but you have to drink it in a fenced-off area. You cannot walk around the stadium with it.

OB55
May 31st, 2007, 02:48 PM
Now UNC has kind of a strict tailgating policy. You have to download a tailgate application, fill it out, adhere to the rules, provide a credit card number, and serve only 3.2 beer!! Also there is no admittance back into the tailgate area at half time, and if your assigned spot is not cleaned up to their satisfaction after you leave, credit card gets hit for $200.00.

I've been to games at Wyoming where they are strict about booze in the game, and seen a torrent of booze bottles rain down from the stands when something goes haywire on the field.

I still say prohibition has the opposite effect of it's intentions.xreadx

Mountaineer#96
May 31st, 2007, 03:08 PM
3.2 Beer.......wow thats a lot of water.

SU Jag
May 31st, 2007, 03:11 PM

Ya think!:D They had beer at Alltell last year for the Gateway Classic I think. I think they have at the Magic City Classic also, but its highxeekx

CSUBUCDAD
May 31st, 2007, 04:40 PM
No beer at the CSU concession for obvious reasons. But the brew flows in the tailgate lots I can assure you of that. As my new friend LBDad said after last years GW vs CSU game "They sure know how to tailgate".

aggie6thman
May 31st, 2007, 04:42 PM

Where there is a will, there is a way! College students (and others) will always find creative ways to sneak it in. What fun would college be if there was no creative thought? xnodx

jmuroller
May 31st, 2007, 04:47 PM
No alcohol sold at North Carolina college games at any level

Then why do they sell beer at UNC games?

jmuroller
May 31st, 2007, 04:49 PM
No beer at on campus stadiums, so no for us. Alcohol is not allowed on Hampton University's campus, period, so our school rule supercedes the NCAA rule.

Is that a state rule, or National NCAA rule? That can't be true because UNC sells beer and I've been to a UVA and Tech game where they sell beer in the sky suites.

bincitysioux
May 31st, 2007, 04:52 PM
We've got $6 beers at all of UND's athletic arenas. The Alerus (football) is off campus, while the Betty (basketball) and the Ralph (hockey) are on campus. Beer is sold here during regular season games and conference tournaments/playoff games (NCC/WCHA). But if it is an NCAA sponsored event, like a football playoff game or basketball or hockey regional tourney no beer allowed. Except in suites I think.

Tealblood
May 31st, 2007, 05:18 PM
Then why do they sell beer at UNC games?

the UNC he is referrring to is Northern Colorado not chapel Hill

I think this is one of those situations everyone assumes it is an NCAA rule I don't think it is.

It is State Law(or not) most of us are in the bible belt which has a lot to do with this conversation.

And to expand on that most of us who do not have beer sales at concessions are in RED states.

This whole conversation is mostly about "somebody told me" for years it has been said that campus X is dry or no alcohol is allowed and yet I've been to events in the presidents office that had an open bar.

What applies to students does not always apply to the campus as a whole.

phillyAPP
May 31st, 2007, 05:26 PM
UMASS sells beer but you have to drink it in a fenced-off area. You cannot walk around the stadium with it.

Sounds like the cage they have at Bowman Gray Stadium winston Salem,NC for the oldest NASCAR races. Keeping the animals fenced in. lol

It works most of the time.

813Jag
May 31st, 2007, 05:33 PM
Where there is a will, there is a way! College students (and others) will always find creative ways to sneak it in. What fun would college be if there was no creative thought? xnodx

True. When I was in school Crown Royal was in the seat next to me. xlolx

SU Jag
May 31st, 2007, 05:36 PM
True. When I was in school Crown Royal was in the seat next to me. xlolx

xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x Bad Jagxnonono2x xnonono2x Bad Jagxnonono2x xnonono2x

813Jag
May 31st, 2007, 05:40 PM
xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x Bad Jagxnonono2x xnonono2x Bad Jagxnonono2x xnonono2x

I remember seeing folks bring flasks in Memorial Stadium bsck in the day.xlolx

McTailGator
May 31st, 2007, 05:44 PM

McNeese only sells alcohol in the club house's or the private suites.

OB55
May 31st, 2007, 06:15 PM
McNeese only sells alcohol in the club house's or the private suites.

Only the big shots get shots? xconfusedx

Lionsrking
May 31st, 2007, 07:17 PM
I'm not aware of any NCAA regulations barring beer sales at on campus stadiums but there are some conferences that don't allow it. Honestly, I'm not sure what the Southland Conference policy is since we don't sale beer in our stadiums anyway. We have a local ordinance in Hammond that doesn't allow beer sales within a certain number of feet of a church and we have two across the street from our football and baseball stadiums. We do allow alcohol on campus for tailgaiting.

HIU 93
May 31st, 2007, 08:54 PM
Is that a state rule, or National NCAA rule? That can't be true because UNC sells beer and I've been to a UVA and Tech game where they sell beer in the sky suites.

It used to be an NCAA rule- but from what guys are saying here, that has changed. Anyway- alcohol is still prohibited on Hampton University's campus.

PantherRob82
May 31st, 2007, 09:03 PM

where do you tailgate? xconfusedx xlolx xlolx

McTailGator
May 31st, 2007, 09:47 PM

That is correct (sort of), the NCAA allows all schools to offer alcohol sells in privatly leased suites and club houses.

The McNeese Cowboy Club Room in the South EZof "The Hole" allows any member of the club to enter in and buy a beet at the Half. (It only costs $120 a year to be a member, so the common folk can afford to pop in for a swig.

OB55
May 31st, 2007, 10:04 PM
That is correct (sort of), the NCAA allows all schools to offer alcohol sells in privatly leased suites and club houses.

The McNeese Cowboy Club Room in the South EZof "The Hole" allows any member of the club to enter in and buy a beet at the Half. (It only costs $120 a year to be a member, so the common folk can afford to pop in for a swig.

Must not be a NCAA rule, but a more local authority instead.

igo4uni
May 31st, 2007, 10:52 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhh....................college at UNI!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx :D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :) xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

If only I knew then what I know now!!!

EKU05
June 1st, 2007, 12:31 AM
No beer at on campus stadiums. $8 beers at Raymond James. xnonono2x

Louisville definitely serves beer at on campus Papa John's Cardinal Stadium.

EKU, however, does not serve beer inside Roy Kidd Stadium.

CopperCat
June 1st, 2007, 01:37 AM

That might not be all that bad. If the students can buy beer in the stadium, just imagine what it would be like.xeekx

WildcatFan
June 1st, 2007, 06:57 AM
It used to be an NCAA rule- but from what guys are saying here, that has changed. Anyway- alcohol is still prohibited on Hampton University's campus.

Oops - didn't realize that at our pre-game tailgate party last year. Good thing we put everything in cups:)

OB55
June 1st, 2007, 08:40 AM
That might not be all that bad. If the students can buy beer in the stadium, just imagine what it would be like.xeekx

I actually did a lousy job of trying to make a point, couldn't get past my own sarcasm.

The rowdiest and drunkest stadiums I have been to, had a no alcohol policy, in those venues, people snuck in hard booze, not beer. I have seen dang few hard booze bottles in places where they serve beer. And if you just go to the game to swill as much of that draft beer as you can, what happens?

1) Costs a lot of money

2) You miss half the game either buying beer, or making room for more beer.

Stadiums/Universities might as well make money selling beer and cutting down on all the bottles left after the game. xthumbsupx

HIU 93
June 1st, 2007, 10:28 AM
where do you tailgate? xconfusedx xlolx xlolx

Tailgating is allowed, alcohol isn't. Folks sneak alcohol in and drink it out of cups, but it is not allowed on campus.

HIU 93
June 1st, 2007, 10:29 AM
Oops - didn't realize that at our pre-game tailgate party last year. Good thing we put everything in cups:)

Everybody does that. The university really isn't worried so much about tailgating as it is underage drinking.

Ivytalk
June 1st, 2007, 10:32 AM
I remember seeing folks bring flasks in Memorial Stadium bsck in the day.xlolx

Hip flasks! Brings back fond memories of cold days in Harvard Stadium. A different brandy every week!:D

McTailGator
June 1st, 2007, 10:34 AM
Must not be a NCAA rule, but a more local authority instead.

There is indeed some sort of rule for on campus stadiums within a schools control. If there wasn't, I can guarantee you that some south La. schools would be selling alcohol for the $.

McTailGator
June 1st, 2007, 10:36 AM
Hip flasks! Brings back fond memories of cold days in Harvard Stadium. A different brandy every week!:D

A buddy of mine has a pair of binoculars with one normal lense and the other is hollowed out to hold about a pint of whiskey. If I could find one, I'd go buy one too. xprost2x

OB55
June 1st, 2007, 11:36 AM
There is indeed some sort of rule for on campus stadiums within a schools control. If there wasn't, I can guarantee you that some south La. schools would be selling alcohol for the $.

Nottingham Field in Greeley, is on campus/state property and university owned entirely, beer sales go on, maybe it is your state statutes?

Husky Alum
June 1st, 2007, 11:45 AM
The poster from North Dakota is correct when he said that alcohol (and alcohol related sponsorships and advertising) are prohibited at NCAA Championship events - except for in suites - and even in private suites, all of the alcohol has to be in the suite prior to the start of competition and cannot be refilled during the competition that day.

When the 1999 NCAA East Basketball Regionals were in Boston, my company had a suite in the Boston Garden and we ran out of alcohol after the afternoon games - the folks at the Garden told us that the NCAA wouldn't allow them to refill the suites between the afternoon and evening sessions.

Keep in mind, this was pre 9-11-01, so we called people and told them if they were coming to the games at night they had to bring a bottle of wine or liquor with them to the skybox. A co worker of mine and I figured out a way to unbox a beer ball and put it in a knapsack so we were able to bring beer into our box. Suffice to say our managing partner rewarded us for our ingenuity.

As for Parsons Field - alcohol is "strictly prohibited" - as the field is in the middle of a residential neighborhood - however as henfan, UNH Alum, Tribe4SF and others can attest, the Husky Alum tailgate is never without its drinkables before, during, and after the game. We walk in through our parking spot in the back of the end zone and we bring in whatever we want to the seats. One of our veteran tailgaters makes a pretty good Spicy Tomato Juice, a great Lemonade, and a New Orleans Fruit Punch that will knock your socks off.

In 2002, we had a case of champagne on ice for when we clinched the A-10 title and we carried it in from our cars in the third quarter under a blanket.

g-webb1994
June 1st, 2007, 12:26 PM
There is alcohol present at Kidd Brewer Stadium via my socks.xshhhx

I always used (and still use if need be) Ziploc bags in your pants. Mix your drink at your pleasure....and no bulge in your pants (insert your own crude joke here).xcoffeex

At G-W alcohol was/is a severe no-no. However, I made several beer runs in the day with my dorm floor RA, and always kept a bottle of Crown or Beam in the old golf bag, somewhere they never looked during room inspections in the dorm!xnodx xnodx

OB55
June 1st, 2007, 12:41 PM
I always used (and still use if need be) Ziploc bags in your pants. Mix your drink at your pleasure....and no bulge in your pants (insert your own crude joke here).xcoffeex

At G-W alcohol was/is a severe no-no. However, I made several beer runs in the day with my dorm floor RA, and always kept a bottle of Crown or Beam in the old golf bag, somewhere they never looked during room inspections in the dorm!xnodx xnodx

All that makes drinking much more fun, don't you agree? Reminds me of high school and all the things we did to get away with it. After becoming bar legal, xboringxxboringxxboringx

Ivytalk
June 1st, 2007, 01:45 PM
A buddy of mine has a pair of binoculars with one normal lense and the other is hollowed out to hold about a pint of whiskey. If I could find one, I'd go buy one too. xprost2x

Now THAT's creativity!;) xlolx

Seawolf97
June 1st, 2007, 08:42 PM
Where there is a will there is a way!

McNeese75
June 1st, 2007, 08:51 PM
:D Here is your flask and a couple other rather creative ideas (I personally like the booze belt) xthumbsupx

http://www.after5catalog.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_5/products_id/77

813Jag
June 1st, 2007, 09:06 PM
:D Here is your flask and a couple other rather creative ideas (I personally like the booze belt) xthumbsupx

I like the cellphone flask. xlolx xthumbsupx

McTailGator
June 1st, 2007, 09:18 PM

Ahh, cool. Been looking for one of those for 5 years. Don't you just love the internet. xthumbsupx