PDA

View Full Version : Only One Doubleheader Opportunity This Year

carney2
May 31st, 2007, 09:24 AM
Last year at this time some of us were beginning to beat the drums for an Ivy-Patriot doubleheader with Princeton @ Lehigh in the afternoon and Penn @ Lafayette under the newly installed lights at Fisher Stadium/Field/whatever. The stadiums are only a few miles apart, and it sounded like a marvelous day of college football. It didn't happen - primarily because the folks at Lafayette wisely did not trust their contractors to get things finished on time. The Penn game, like all of the other 2006 games at Lafayette kicked off shortly after 1:00.

This year Lafayette will begin its new "tradition" of playing most (all?) home games thru mid-October under the lights. We have one - and only one - opportunity for a doubleheader:

Saturday, September 22nd
VMI @ Lehigh (starting time is listed as TBA, but you can bet on 1:00)
Princeton @ Lafayette (6:00)

Unless there is a groundswell of AGS support for this event (and I am hereby proposing some sort of a group activity), I doubt if I will be there. In the first place, I will be at the Harvard @ Lehigh game the following Saturday and I doubt if my system can take two consecutive weeks of boisterously supporting the Squawks in person vs. non-League foes. Secondly, after all of these years, my spousal unit has finally learned how to read a football schedule. She schedules my Saturday "honey-dos" around home games and TV starts.

Any doubleheader guys out there to get me off the hook and out of the house?

89Hen
May 31st, 2007, 10:20 AM
September 8th - Lafayette at Georgetown at 1pm then up to Newark for a Hen game at 7pm. There are better other games, but the times don't work... Hampton at Howard (1pm) and Towson at Morgan State (4pm)... obviously the MEAC match-up can't be done, but you could make the second half at Morgan.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 31st, 2007, 10:20 AM
Last year at this time some of us were beginning to beat the drums for an Ivy-Patriot doubleheader with Princeton @ Lehigh in the afternoon and Penn @ Lafayette under the newly installed lights at Fisher Stadium/Field/whatever. The stadiums are only a few miles apart, and it sounded like a marvelous day of college football. It didn't happen - primarily because the folks at Lafayette wisely did not trust their contractors to get things finished on time. The Penn game, like all of the other 2006 games at Lafayette kicked off shortly after 1:00.

This year Lafayette will begin its new "tradition" of playing most (all?) home games thru mid-October under the lights. We have one - and only one - opportunity for a doubleheader:

Saturday, September 22nd
VMI @ Lehigh (starting time is listed as TBA, but you can bet on 1:00)
Princeton @ Lafayette (6:00)

Unless there is a groundswell of AGS support for this event (and I am hereby proposing some sort of a group activity), I doubt if I will be there. In the first place, I will be at the Harvard @ Lehigh game the following Saturday and I doubt if my system can take two consecutive weeks of boisterously supporting the Squawks in person vs. non-League foes. Secondly, after all of these years, my spousal unit has finally learned how to read a football schedule. She schedules my Saturday "honey-dos" around home games and TV starts.

Any doubleheader guys out there to get me off the hook and out of the house?

Sounds interesting, but as carney already pointed out, Harvard/Lehigh currently is circled on my calendar, so it might be difficult to justify to "Diary Gal" and "Diary Son". However... again, if there's a massive groundswell... we'll see.

The other issue is: doing a diary on Princeton/Lafayette three years in a row... xeyebrowx I'm a homer, but yeesh!

Fordham
May 31st, 2007, 08:42 PM
9/15:

Lehigh @ Princeton TBD

Columbia @ Fordham 6:00pm

10/6:

Maine @ Hofstra 1:30pm

Lehigh @ Fordham 6:00pm

Assuming LU v. PU is an afternoon affair, there's 2 add'l options.

DFW HOYA
May 31st, 2007, 08:53 PM
How about four games in one city?

Three are TBA, but all four Philadelphia area Division I teams are home the weekend of October 6:

Iona at LaSalle (McCarthy Stadium), 1 pm
Georgetown at Pennsylvania (Franklin Field), TBA
William & Mary at Villanova (Villanova Stadium), TBA
Northern Illinois at Temple (Lincoln Financial Field), TBA

OK, which one gets the biggest turnout?

ngineer
May 31st, 2007, 09:01 PM
9/15:

Lehigh @ Princeton TBD

Columbia @ Fordham 6:00pm

10/6:

Maine @ Hofstra 1:30pm

Lehigh @ Fordham 6:00pm

Assuming LU v. PU is an afternoon affair, there's 2 add'l options.

I think the Lehigh/Princeton game will also be a 6 or 7 pm. game. Additionally, I think the Fordham/Lehigh game is an afternoon game??? Everytime we've gone to the Bronx it's been a 1 p.m. kickoff. If you have solid info on this please advise!

PantherRob82
May 31st, 2007, 09:02 PM
too long of a drive for me. ;)

Ivytalk
May 31st, 2007, 09:04 PM
How about four games in one city?

Three are TBA, but all four Philadelphia area Division I teams are home the weekend of October 6:

I'll guess Georgetown-Penn, by a whisker!;)

89Hen
June 1st, 2007, 08:11 AM

Oooo, good Q. The Temple game will report the largest turnout, but I'm going to go with G'town at Penn for actual fannies.

65 Pard
June 1st, 2007, 08:24 AM
[QUOTE=carney2;550165Any doubleheader guys out there to get me off the hook and out of the house?[/QUOTE]

Carney....We will be in a campground in our motorhome with a group of friends at Kutztown that weekend.....might work out if I can come up with some creative diplomacy...

Fordham
June 1st, 2007, 09:25 AM
I think the Lehigh/Princeton game will also be a 6 or 7 pm. game. Additionally, I think the Fordham/Lehigh game is an afternoon game??? Everytime we've gone to the Bronx it's been a 1 p.m. kickoff. If you have solid info on this please advise!

Saw Coach on Monday and he confirmed we have 3 night games this year. The Lehigh one was supposedly just approved by you guys - Albany & Columbia are the other 2.

thirdgendin
June 1st, 2007, 11:21 AM
Fans in the Upstate of SC have the potential for two doubleheaders this season:

September 1
Georgetown (Ky.) at Wofford, TBA
Presbyterian at Furman, 6:00

November 3
Georgia Southern at Wofford, TBA
Elon at Furman, 2:00

Unfortunately, the GSU/Wofford game will probably be at the same time as the Furman/Elon game.

andy7171
June 1st, 2007, 11:45 AM
Baltimore Double Header!
9/22
Morgan State hosts Hampton at 4pm
followed by a 7pm match up of
Towson hosting Delaware.

Both schools have brand new stadiums to visit.

SU Jag
June 1st, 2007, 12:13 PM
One HUGE one down here in Birmingham Labor Day Weekend
Southern Jaguars vs FAMU Rattlers 1:30
Miles Golden Bears vs Tuskegee Golden Tigers 6:00

Over 100,000+ are expected for the event! Its been a buzz around here since early Marchxeekx

kardplayer
June 1st, 2007, 07:39 PM
On October 6, instead of Maine/Hofstra, could do Princeton/Hampton and still get to Fordham in time for all/most of the game.

ngineer
June 1st, 2007, 10:14 PM
Saw Coach on Monday and he confirmed we have 3 night games this year. The Lehigh one was supposedly just approved by you guys - Albany & Columbia are the other 2.

Thanks for the info. Came as a surprise--and further justifies my decision to sign up for the South Side Booster Bus rather than drive into the Bronx!

Grizalltheway
June 15th, 2007, 03:08 AM
Fans in the Upstate of SC have the potential for two doubleheaders this season:

September 1
Georgetown (Ky.) at Wofford, TBA
Presbyterian at Furman, 6:00

November 3
Georgia Southern at Wofford, TBA
Elon at Furman, 2:00

Unfortunately, the GSU/Wofford game will probably be at the same time as the Furman/Elon game.

Now Wofford is picking on an NAIA team? And Montana catches flak for scheduling cupcakes... xrolleyesx

RichH2
June 15th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Booked for LU-Harvard. If LU-Fordham a night contest I may have to start building some brownie points .Unfortunately everyone in my home knows the schedules better than I do